Bye Bye Bee-Wheezy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 1, 2012

The fact that he got non-tendered is a non-issue. It was widely expected that the Giants would non-tender him and it was the right thing to do. Now they can go about offering him a deal that makes sense for both sides. I would think something along the lines of what Ryan Madson got from the Angels—a base salary with incentives. Both are coming off TJ surgery, and while Wheezy is a more accomplished closer than Madson, this is his 2nd TJ operation. I would think both deals would be at least in the same ballpark.

The problem is that the Dodgers, and to some extent the Red Sox, really don’t care about *deals that make sense*. And you KNOW the Dodgers would love to close out victories with Wheezy on the mound. And he does live down in LA during the off season.

So it’s quite possible that we have seen the last Brian Wilson save, at least for the Giants. He joins a long list of great Giant closers. My early two favorites were Gary Lavelle and the Moon Man. Rod Beck is one of my favorite Giants of all time. Rob Nen gave up his right arm and his career for the team. And in some ways Wilson gave up his arm for the team to. The only difference between him and Nen is that he gets to resume his career……..

I wish him well where ever he ends up…..

wheeze

1. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2012 at 7:36 am

The owners are alrady throwing big money around. He’ll likely get his from the Dogs or the Red Sox.

2. willedav said, on December 1, 2012 at 7:49 am

See what happens. By what I’ve read, “a deal that makes sense for both sides” would involve wilson moving his line in the sand a lot more than Sabes.
    Tho it would surprise me if he wound up elsewhere, I think Sf can repeat without him. Without Pagan and Scutaro I wouldn’t feel the same way, so I’m guessing that’s where priorites lie.
    Maybe Wilson winds up like Brantley, who spent a year or two being annoying on BB2Nite….he’d make Charles Barkley look like vanilla.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on December 1, 2012 at 7:52 am

Oh well. End of an era. He really was the face and personality of the team for a time. A Mets fan friend was lamenting about “how baseball is.” I said, well, it’s not as if this hasn’t always been true, players moving. Now it’s more from the player’s side, thanks to Marvin Miller. But last night I was reminded of Magnus’s strategy of detaching from star players, comparing their ephemeral time in the spotlight to the fame arc of a thoroughbred. Can flame out anytime. The satirist Peter DeVries titled one of his books “The Glory of the Hummingbird” to illustrate the same fleeting concept. Too lazy to Google the line; I think it’s from T.S. Eliot.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on December 1, 2012 at 7:53 am

I cannot deny it. His presence was so FELT, it is a palpable absence. I keep trying to brush it off, but I’m kind of down about it.

5. willedav said, on December 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

oooh, #82 was JT, pride of Delware State out of the traditional black college MEAC, who was usually in the shadows of another wide receiver who also came out of traditional black college school. I know a b-ball referee who’s son is going to attend one, Tuskegee Inst of alabama.
    So many famous players got their college careers going in this type of environment, and especially in the old AFL were a ton of under the radar college guys who made it big and put these schools on the maps of pro scouts.
    I was reading a Satchel Paige bio “If Only You Were White” which takes its title from when he pitched to some alabama guys from a white team whom he struck out who said they could sure use him. How many college teams could have used Walter Payton or Steve McNair or bob Hayes?

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 1, 2012 at 8:10 am

The list of double TJ comebacks is pretty short. With his dedication to fitness I can see Wilson doing it. Then again he could totally over do it and never be what he was. I would give him a 30% chance of being close to what he once was and it’s not worth the cash he’s thinking he’ll get. Sabean’s been pretty disciplined with his strategy the last few years so it’s sayonara to The Beard. Hey it could be worse. He could be Alex Smith.

7. Alleykat said, on December 1, 2012 at 8:24 am

Can’t count out Wilson’s ability to comeback.Like Dirt said his workout fitness program is dedicated.Hell just look at Joe Nathan at 37 after his TJ getting 37 saves last year.

8. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2012 at 8:54 am

Oh, I’m sure he’ll come back. I just don;t think he’ll be able to last very long.

9. twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 8:58 am

Nobody is throwing a lot of money at him, least of all the Dodgers, IMO.Good chance he does end up here.People keep forgetting how important the setup role has become .Casilla-Romo-Wilson, if Brian is healthy, would be as good as it gets, with the loogies for matchups and Affeldt throwing the occasional 7th or 8th. Then Kontos would round out the pen. If he doesn’t make it all the way back, BB2Nite is perfect-he’s among the smartest, most articulate people in sport,…”Late Nite with the Beard” sounds good, too.

10. Salty said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

He does sound pretty adamant about not returning or even negotiating with the G’s. Maybe that will soften, but I think just on principle, he’d now take less money and pitch for someone else. Maybe be just as well. He comes back, there’s that lingering resentment and valid question whether he can be a top closer and if not, happy in a supporting role.

11. snarkk said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’ll be ambivalent whether he signs back here or somewhere else, because his worth is unknown, can only be proven next year, and maybe not even in ST yet. Whatever he signs for, the amount is at risk, given the long odds for a 2nd comeback from TJ. If anybody can do it, though, he can, though probably not at the same skill level. If he’s off the Giants reservation for good, then it’s thanks Beard for your huge contribution to the 2010 WS win, it was an unforgettable ride with a real character — you were one of the top jockeys on that championship horse…

12. snarkk said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

John Shea reports Freddy Sanchez also not coming back. Not at all. Giants will not invite him to ST even on a minor league make good basis. He’s done as a Giant. I never did get Sabes extending him for another year into 2012 when he basically showed up after the trade hurt, and seemed injury prone even when healthy. I went back to the Splash story on his extension and it said Sabean wanted a club option for 2013 (which probably had some sort of buyout, I suppose), but Freddy didn’t want to, he wanted to be a FA next season to max his dollar potential. Looks now like that was not a good idea. Anyway, pretty much same sentiments here for him as for the Beard. Freddy was a key part of that 2010 team, and was a rock in those playoffs. First guy to ever hit 3 doubles in his first 3 WS at bats. He didn’t play very many actual games for the team as a Giant, but he sure as hell made the most of them. I was always in his corner, I thought he was a disciplined, professional player with good all around skills at 2b, which is what we needed. It’s unfortunate he turned so brittle. Good luck, Freddy, and thanks for 2010…

• Salty said, on December 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

Seven—Posey, Cain, Lincecum, Affeldt, Romo, Pablo and Zito— remain from the 2010 team.

• zumie said, on December 1, 2012 at 11:36 am

You missed a few.

• Salty said, on December 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

You’re right. Did that half awake off the top of my head. Bum Casilla Lopez makes 10?

13. snarkk said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:58 am

As for Stanford winning the Pac12, congrats. They earned it, though they made it closer than they should last night. They earned it earlier, really, when they beat Oregon up in Duck country. UCLA was definitely game, they will be tough next year. I scratch my head how Cal pounded them in Berkeley mid-season; I saw that game in person. Mora did a great job to shrug off that loss, and move forward. The Furd will beat by two TDs whatever overrated Big10 team they send out to Pasadena…

14. ewisco said, on December 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

So now it’s “they didn’t give me the money i think i deserve and so now i’m going to take my ball and go home”? BW might be a smart guy (and i think he is) but he’s acting awfully childish about this. It’s not like the G’s want to cheapskate him with no chance to make good money. He seems to think because of his past he deserves guaranteed big money. Well B, it’s exactly because of your past, injured, that it needs to be performance based. you deserve the chance to make big money and it seems like the g’s would like to give you that chance. but you’re now going to snit and mope? nice.

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2012 at 12:15 am

Well said…I dig B-Weezie, and appreciate all he did for the Giants…especially in 2010. But with what I have read about his attitude…I say “Don’t let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out!”

From The Splash yesterday: “sources tell me that Wilson is ticked off about the Giants’ stance and has no plans now to negotiate with his only major-league organization.”

15. snarkk said, on December 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

To me, these supposed big SEC games are snoozefests, though this one seems to be getting good now. The D’s are supposed to be so good, well I guess so, but I’m not sure where the great D ends and the crap offenses begin. I don’t get this BCS, it’s bogus. Alabama gets beat at home by Texas A&M, that’s the one loss. Bama beat 3 tomato cans on their schedule (Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina), plus Tennessee, which sucked. Oregon loses to Stanfurd at Duck country, IN OVERTIME by a FG. That’s their one loss. Stanfurd is ranked one rung higher than A&M now. Yet, Oregon gets ranked below Bama and Georgia (their loss was a 35-7 blowout to SCarolina). And, here’s strength of schedule through today: Tex A&M 1, Florida 2, Stanford 4, Oregon 8, Bama 10, Cal 13, Georgia 23. Totally bogus…

16. stixwiz said, on December 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Wilson defined torture in the 9th. How many times did he let in a run or two and baserunner/s to boot and then squeeze that final out to get the one run save? That was two years ago. Thanks for the memories but that ship has sailed. Doubtful whether he will come back as an elite closer but could very well due to his will and his willingness to keep working at it, become a pretty efficient 7th or 8th inning man, particularly as a key component in bullpen by committee. Bochy may have started something with that approach. I can see other managers trying out such a strategy to see if they can come up with the same results.

In any event, The Beard was a memorable Giant and a major contributor to the ’10 World Champs. Best of luck to Wilson.

• twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm

As noted below, he has to be at least right there with Nen as best closer ever here. I was surprised to see Lavelle’s Godawful save percentage,

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2012 at 12:19 am

Damn – look at that WHIP by Shooter. 1.07. Wow. By far my favorite Giant closer.

17. Sam said, on December 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm

The beard and the shtick were getting tiresome anyway.

• twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Well, the beard is a great beard. Beats those “is it a beard or didn’t I wash my face” thingies. If he’s gone, he leaves with the third most saves in SF history and best save percentage. If you add a 0.00 ERA in the 2010 postseason with 6 saves, I’d call a tie between The Beard and Nen as the best closer in SF history. IMO.

Nen 206-240 85.8
      Beck 199-234 85
      Wilson 171-196 87
      Lavelle 127-198 64
      Minton 123-164 76
      Moffitt 83-119 70

L

18. twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Serious and tragic news:
    “Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher committed suicide in front of the team’s coach and general manager at the Chiefs’ training facility Saturday after killing his girlfriend in a seperate shooting, Kansas City Police spokesman Darin Snapp said”

19. Alleykat said, on December 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Just a tragic ending to 2 young people’s lives Michael.We really live in a “

• Alleykat said, on December 1, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Messed up out of control world .No reason to go out and kill.Just get help,counseling,anything to diffuse a violent situation.

• twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm

About the only thing to be thankful for is that he didn’t continue the shooting after he went to the KC complex.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

It’s a non-issue that doesn’t need to get brought to a baseball blog; Murder/suicide deaths happen all the time. We don’t sit around boo-hooin’ the ones no one’s ever heard about. It’s too bad he didn’t kill himself before he killed his kid’s mother.
        I definitely feel bad for that kid but in the long run it might work out best for him/her—let his g-ma raise him, there’s a few bucks in the kitty to provide for his basic needs and he/she never has to face that crazy-fuck on a daily basis as a parent……..

• twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Obits, news about non-baseball trajedies, and much more is brought here and discussed. What happened in KC was huge news in the sports world, I’m sorry that one would consider noting it to be “boo-hoin'”

20. Salty said, on December 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm

4 yr deal reportedly on the table for Pagan….stay tuned.

21. twinfan1 said, on December 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm

From Olney:
    “Philly continues to go hard on Angel Pagan; Giants look to be short right now on how much they’re offering annually, in a four-year deal. “