A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Post of the Day–Best Of…..In The Darkness of An Impending Winter Solstice, I Salute All Flap Vets……..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 8, 2012

I just sent  (Asian) Paul’s post into the *POTD-Best of* and for the first time in forever (maybe *ever*) I just read through all 32 of them. About a third of the way into it I had an idea of doing a poll of  THE ALL TIME BEST(!!!) *POTD-best of* but then realized about halfway through to not even go there. Plus, that’d be way too many capital letters for most of you to process….

You guys post stuff that is simply not seen on a blog anywhere in the blog universe. I read some of your posts 3 or 4 times. But here’s the deal, The Flap is a place that is sustained by the collective brilliant output of a small, tight-knit group of bloggers who sometimes might lack a little definition (*Stable Boys*/*Unstable Boys*, it’s a fluid situation)  but who never lack for an absolute and genuine unconditional commitment to the process of this blog. And to the genuine, unconditional commitment to their team. Our team.

And I’m the first to admit that I ignore the *POTD–best of* too easily. Sometimes months go by without me kicking a post in there. But that’s on me and should never be seen as a grade of the literary composition at The Flap. That sh!t is ongoing and constant. It’s a flashlight shot into space. Underwhelming at first, but not after you realize the distance of it’s flight.

I’ve got no Haiku for any of this but I hope you guys know that I appreciate every single post you make here. And I could re-read them forever. And I can’t even tell you how much fun I’ve had doing the DJLoo *Retro–POTD’s*.  That’s been a gas, almost as much fun as picking the BBOTD-POTD’s (!)  I’m hopeful that he comes back soon, he always does, even when you think he’s gone for good (insert weird-o Haiku from this morning)……..

1. unca_chuck said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Hey I’m just glad yer still doing BBOTD (and best of BBOTD!)

• Flavor said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

you are one of the great caption champions of BBOTD (as the BBOTD-POTD clearly indicates). You, Bozo, WIllie-D, and now Ferrethead(!!!!), and all the other vets at our *secret widget* are the highlight of my morning as I read the captions/change out the BBOTD in the darkness of my office sipping my coffee…….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm

they’re still a-coming?! what’ve I been missing?!!

2. unca_chuck said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

And yeah, I haven’t read those for a while. Great stuff.

3. unca_chuck said, on December 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Grienke to the Dogs . . . 6/150 mill . . .?

Yowza. . . . Spending money like drunken sailors.

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 8:26 am

Sans the imbecilic ARod re-signing, any pitching contract that has more than 4 years and a numeral above 2 (as in $20 million per year) is indicative of the quote about only two things being infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

For me, I’m not fluent in IDIOT, so I would ask these team GM’s to please speak slowly and clearly.

4. paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm

LA is trying to “keep up with the Jones’s” … in this case, the Giants… in a completely different way from how the Giants have built this current winning team. Two completely different strategies, LA’s way obviously being just spend, spend, spend… Time will tell if it pays off for them. But I’m not one bit envious of all that money they have to spend. I’d settle for just another $20 mil or so… 🙂

And yes, Craig, great stuff here, all the time. I think it was last week or maybe the week before, I stopped in here a few times, during some of the discussions about baseball but also about aging parents, parenting, etc. I was actually so blown away by some of the posts, there was absolutely nothing I could post to add to the brilliance. Seriously stellar.

5. Bozo said, on December 9, 2012 at 6:22 am

This DJ Loo retro post really hits home to me. Beyond being funny as hell the commitment to watching games at two in the morning is very tough. Nothing like our good buddy ed, getting up in the wee hours to make his early morning tea, his Bangers and Mash or whatever, to watch a game live. But still, staying up to watch a game on the East Coast is a hard decision at times. For me, I’m always telling myself about things that I’m going to have to do that day. Because you all know, there are always things to do. And no matter what time of day you watch a game, this is something we all share in. So I know the commitment is tough for everyone.

I’ve never thought about bagging the whole season like Loo mentions because of the magnet that is baseball. The camaraderie shared with pals/family at a bar, at the game or just some damn blog (thanks Flav) while watching a game, brings a great joy to me. And for a lot of us, a way to deal with the curveballs that life serves up to us from time to time.

Over the years I have enjoyed so many posts here and I agree that it’s fun to look back on them, either by going back in history, POTD, BBOTD or this latest – the ghost of DJ Loo past. The elusive DJ Loo sent me a package one time just out of the blue. A Kevin Mitchell flip motion card set. Just because he knew that I loved Mitch. So on that note I’d just like to say,

FREE DJ LOO!!!

• willedav said, on December 9, 2012 at 8:24 am

I salute the out of town guys in different time zones. If Giants games didn’t come on til 10:15, I’d never see romo or anyone else in the CBC.

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 8:34 am

Clown, I absolutely relate to Loo’s point about skipping a year of baseball or some other sport . . . For example, I had no idea that Notre Dame was 12-0 and ranked highly this year. Same thing for NFL football. I have mostly ignored it this year. Regarding the Giants, his reasons such as “. . . a chick, or the track, or heavy drugs” is spot on to me. However, that’s just me . . .

• Alleykat said, on December 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

Nothin like a good “Banger” to start your day.Atleast that’s what my wife says.
      Agree we need a Seal Flap covert mission and “Free Loo” now!!!!

6. unca_chuck said, on December 9, 2012 at 7:46 am

Even when I lived in Colo, at least ESPN was already invented, so I could get the occasional highlight. Usually though, about 10 sceonds before the end of Sportscenter, they’d flash a score, and say “Giants lost 3-2 to the Astros” It was such a bitch to wait form something. anytthing, and get nothing . . .

Off to the Niner game
    ___________________

Niner Game awaits
    A savoir from the valley?
    Colin Kaepernick!!

7. willedav said, on December 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

I watch a fair amount of HS b-ball games of kids/families I know, some of whom I have coached in their younger days. I saw a game and a team coached by a buddy of mine that left me shaking my head.
    The family of the best (and quite the largest, this girl goes way more than 200 lbs) player on one team never stopped talking, often quite louldly, and *coaching* kids (mostly not their own) the entire time from the front row opposite side of court from bench where all us fans sat. At one point late in the game they were yelling at opposing coach while one of their players shot an FT. What kind of message are you sending?
    No way I’d ever see another one of their games, and as my buddy said, it would be better off for their coach to ban these guys from attending. Besides the obvious lack of sportsmanship, what an incredible distraction for the kids, to have someone from stands yelling instructions to them on how to play who is not even their coach.
    I’ve known many parents who are hard on their kids, and who are constantly instructing them before/after practice and game, but….during practice and esp during a game, they are mine to get whatever message I want them to have. Playing is hard enough for kids, at any level, without the added distractions of looking over at or listening to their parents every time something happens, esp if it isn’t good.
    You play hard, you have fun, and then it’s on to friends family and connecting back to real life. All the added pressures and yelling and screaming just takes away all the fun, which is the only reason to be playing in the first place.

8. twinfan1 said, on December 9, 2012 at 9:13 am

All preseason choices are are judged “on paper”- ours included. The Dodgers wiill be favored by most for a very simple reason-they should be. Just as we or the Rockies were the preseason favorites in 2011. Well, something happened on the way to to the forum. In the NL West, something happens on the way to the forum almost every year.
    This is not my prediction post-it’s my “beware” post, there’s no logical reason to dismiss the Dodgers this year, They’re the team to beat in the West- I’ll let you know why we *will* beat them as soon as I figger it out 😉

• Alleykat said, on December 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

You can start with the Managers Twin.Mattingly can’t hold Bochy’s jock in experience as Bochy contiunes to “School” him everytime they play.Bums can spend all the money they want,but Mattiingly will never mold that team into what it takes to be “Winners” like Bochy can.IMO

• twinfan1 said, on December 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

I didn’t see yours, good post.

• twinfan1 said, on December 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

This is not to “dismiss” Paul’s excellent post, but I think there’s a tendency to search for reasons to go against the Bums-which is what I’m doing right now. Actually, it doesn’t take a lot of searching, if one looks past the roster- usually a manager isn’t worth but 3 or 4 games a year- Bochy vs, Mattingly is at least 6 or 7. Bochy’s only close match in the division is Black. What he did with their 2010 team should put him in the HOF for that alone, The only explanation was having *two* Hairstons 😉

9. Salty said, on December 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

Dodgers budget est at about 225m next year.

“If the Yankees are the evil empire, the Dodgers are the Death Star – bigger, badder and a hell of a lot more expensive than anything else.”

Passan details the absurdity of it all

10. Flavor said, on December 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m not super worried about the Dodgers. As I said last night, it was irritating that they got Grienke, especially when all signs were pointing to him going to the Rangers. But there are countless examples of teams that have PROVEN that there is not a direct correlation to spending lots of money and winning a world series.
    The Dodgers are definitely the favorites to win the division. They were also favored to win it after their monumentally stupid blockbuster trade with Boston last Summer.
    Things have a way of working themselves out in baseball. And Grienke is not a slam dunk to perform. He has well documented mental issues that are under control now. But, no one knows how the pressure of this deal will affect him.
    At some point, there will be an amount of money that the Dodgers will spend that will put them over the top and they will likely win their first world series in 20+ years. Their payroll next year will be 225 million. Will that be enough? maybe. It might need to go north of 300 million (which might even happen next season.
    But payrolls don’t play each other on the field. Players do and as we know it’s a lot more complicated than how much money each player makes…..

• twinfan1 said, on December 9, 2012 at 11:56 am

Well, there are about 20 teams who can point out *our* payroll last year. Money does matter, From BP:
      “Money matters. It always has. There hasn’t been a GM that sat back and said, “You know what Mr. Owner, I don’t need the extra resources that you’re offering.” The point is money never hurts. And while there are GMs and execs that will always say they’ve spent wisely, they sometimes don’t. What money gives you is a buffer. Or, rather, what sustained revenues give you is margin. You can take more risks and you can more easily blunt the blow if some of the decisions you make don’t turn out as planned. Conversely, the club that has limited resources is always at greater risk if it makes mistakes. To quote the poet laureate Brian Johnson of AC/DC, money talks”

11. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 11:28 am

Passan is the same guy who buried us for forsaking Melky (I think this is also Flav’s favorite writer . . . NOT!). If you recall, he indicated that the Giants were wrong to leave Melky off the playoff roster:

Regarding his most recent cheer leading Dodger article, I don’t buy that buying (excuse the pun) a pennant is the best way to run your baseball club. All of these guys, including Grienke, have flaws . . .

Point in fact, Passan misses a big, big, big reason why Grienke choose the Dodgers. Specifically, he signed with the Dodgers because of not wanting to be the center of attention, i.e., it’s easy to get lost on a team of so-called All Stars. Moreover, ask yourself why all of these guys came up short on previous teams, especially when the light was on them? Regarding Grienke, I have cut and pasted this excerpt from Wikipedia:

“Greinke was quiet and sometimes awkward in the clubhouse. To alleviate some of his anxiety and solitude, the Royals arranged for him to live with legendary Royals third baseman George Brett.[8] Still, Greinke’s uneasiness grew. By the 2005–2006 offseason, he almost quit baseball. He has stated that he was “surprised [he] came back” to baseball.[9] He left spring training for personal reasons in late February 2006.[10] It was later revealed that he was suffering from social anxiety disorder and depression.[11] He reported back to the Royals’ spring training facility in Surprise, Arizona, on April 17, where he underwent ongoing pitching sessions. He was placed on the 60-day disabled list due to psychological issues and took time away from baseball entirely.[12] He began seeing a sports psychologist and taking anti-depressant medication.”

Frankly, this dude would NEVER have selected the Rangers where he would have been the MAN. Much better to lower everyone’s expectations by signing with a team that has Kershaw and 8 position player (so called) all stars. Believe me, when the shit hits the fan in August and September, because the Bums are sucking on our exhaust, Grienke and the rest of the Dodger roster will be thanking their lucky stars that the blame is being spread collectively.

• Salty said, on December 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Blade, I see your point. But that was in 2006, when he was 22. He won the Cy 3 yrs later, suggesting those problems are behind him. He did pitch well for the Angels
      But I would think if you’ve got social anxiety in KC, you should think twice before moving to LA, especially with the second largest pitching contract in tow. Fair to say, he’s going to get plenty of attention.

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Five of the six years on that contract will be after he turns 30. He is 41-25 with a 3.83 ERA since winning the American League Cy Young Award in 2009. He has a lifetime 3.77 earned run average. He has made three postseason starts in his career and allowed 15 runs in 16 2/3s innings. His WAR ranks 21st among active pitchers. In my mind, this was a stupid contract.

Salty, believe me – this guy still has problems with anxiety and connecting with people. It could be 2006 or 1996, most people who have emotional problems, with treatment, are able to manage them, but are they ever cured? I doubt it. I suspect that Grienke avoids situations where he is uncomfortable. For example, an article I just read, said this, “As one of his former coaches said at the Winter Meetings, “Greinke is different.” A former teammate dubbed him “Captain Weirdo.” Greinke is not fond of idle chit-chat, as he once told a new lockermate upon their meeting.”

I still maintain he can get “lost” on the Dodger roster versus the Rangers, where it’s still iffy as to whether Josh Hamilton will re-sign. In short, in that environment, failure would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Conversely, on a team of so called All Stars, any failure on his part would probably be diminished because other Dodger players that fail to live up to their rep, will deflect criticism from him (as well as any other Bum player that fails). By the by, one of the reasons that Zito was so despised by the fans is that the Giants no longer had any big time players. Zito was only team mates with Bonds for a short period of time. I still laugh about him and Barry Bonds, when they made shirts that read, “Don’t ask me, ask Barry” with an arrow pointing to the other Barry. After Bonds left, the T Shirts did too and Zits was left taking the blame from the fans and media . . . until this year.

12. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

I always thought that the 2010 World Series Championship could NOT be topped. Then we won it last year, with the unbelievable playoff run and surprising everyone by beating the Detroit Tigers. Frankly, I welcome the Dodgers spending a gazillion dollars on their run next year. I understand that if they don’t score Ryu, the next free-agent target would be Anibal Sanchez. They also are pursuing trades for two other dominating starters – Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey of the Mets and James Shields of the Rays.

Fucking Hilarious! I say bring it Bums . . . If we win next year’s World Series, it will top 2010 and 2012. Shit, if they only win the Division from the Dodgers, that will rank as one of my biggest memories.

13. twinfan1 said, on December 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm

A lot of us panned the trade last year- for somewhat different reasons- but Stan Kasten is no frigging dummy. . His resume is as as good as any in the sport. The Giants and Dodgers should both be in the postseason next year, IMO.

14. twinfan1 said, on December 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

An unrelated money thing: the commercials where the veddy British sounding gent is offering the 10 buck ring that experts have a hard time differentiating from a $10,000 one (yeah, right, they’re both kinda round)…if I’m a woman and my husband gives me that, he’s divorced in like three seconds if I can’t find a gun faster. “You motherfucker, you spent 20 bucks on bourbon this morning..”

15. Salty said, on December 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Gammons:

“In the week that the bidding for Greinke heated up, the Yankees were beaten out for Jeff Keppinger and Nate Schierholz.”

16. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm

“The rumored total value of a potential Sanchez contract is merely half that of Greinke’s, whereas the difference between the two pitchers isn’t nearly as large.”

The aforementioned excerpt from this SI article http://mlb.si.com/2012/12/07/anibal-sanchez-zack-greinke-hot-stove/ indicates that the Dodgers probably didn’t spend their money effectively or wisely, by ignoring Sanchez.

Umm, unless of course the plan was to sign both, which is still possible.

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

AsianPaul, I just left a comment on yesterday’s thread (thread, interesting word: as in one silken thread of exotic, erotic bargirl exposed panty).

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yes…I particularly liked that reference, too. Paints a wonderful picture…

18. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm

The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Korean left-hander Ryu Hyun-jin shortly before a Sunday deadline, according to a source, wrapping up a productive weekend in which they may have acquired their No. 2 and 3 starting pitchers.

Ryu will receive $36 million over six years with an out clause that kicks in after the fifth year if he has pitched 750 or more innings, sources told ESPN.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Fuck the Bums. It is going to be funny as hell after they spent all this coin and the Giants win the West in 2013. I am ready for that basking…