A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Time for a Haiku Pick-Me Up…….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 8, 2012

Scutaro, Pagan–

Shade invades, my b-a-s-k weakens:

Loo, gone, a mirage

1. willedav said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:12 am

the basking lion
    scans the vastness of the plains
    for hidden rivals

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:48 am

Wilson upset
    TV deal not shared
    Hembree has plans

3. twinfan1 said, on December 8, 2012 at 9:18 am

Re: Retro Post
    Love you too,Loo.
    Uh, what did you think of Spartacus?
    😉

4. zumiee said, on December 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

MLB network
    Loves the Giants’ deals this week
    Basking continues….

5. ewisco said, on December 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

Winter long basking
    Days to Spring quickly countdown
    Wife: clean the garage

6. Salty said, on December 8, 2012 at 10:32 am

bleak nights in brooklyn
    time to alight from his autumn exile
    barbs holstered humor intact

7. zumiee said, on December 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Brian Wilson is in the process of seeing his market value. Probably not as high as he thought it was, or maybe he did know, and was just experiencing some wishful thinking. Maybe he’ll still end up a Giant.
    —-
    Dave Fleming is calling the Kentucky game on ESPN 2. Always cool to hear him do college basketball.

• Flavor said, on December 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

He does the Cardinal football radio games— he’s excellent.

• twinfan1 said, on December 8, 2012 at 11:52 am

IMO, baseball is his weakest sport. Not that he’s bad, he’s still too young for the gravitas required for a play-by-play announcer. Vinnie is pushing the envelope, I say 50 YO is entering prime time, 60 is perfect, 70 can be fine if the pipes are still good, 80 means you have photos of the team owner at the “Moby Dick”..

8. twinfan1 said, on December 8, 2012 at 11:21 am

I don’t know that Wilson isn’t doing what any smart player would do in his situation. He made about 8 million bucks last year. He knows no one is going to offer that kind of money. He’d be pretty dumb to not see what the market really is. That’s how he makes an informed decision. Baseball isn’t just a business for the owners,it is for the players and their agents, as well. It’s not wishful thinking to see what’s out there. If he did return, he’d have a figure to begin negotiations with.

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Still married . . . sigh.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

between marriages . . . sigh

• ewisco said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Unmarried! Autocorrect wanted to change that to “unmarked”. Same difference.

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Arms to rainy sky
    Scutaro’s joy: heaven’s gate
    Torrents of basking

• zumiee said, on December 8, 2012 at 2:00 pm

There are several iconic images from that season, and that might be the most iconic of all.

10. zumiee said, on December 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Not sports-related, but….
    a very good article analyzing the 2012 presidential election. It’s a real long article, but has a lot of interesting things to say.

• twinfan1 said, on December 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I’m hating the rumors that in exchange for the rich folks tax hike, Obama will agree to raising the medicare age to 67.(I already have it, so it’s not personal reasons). Besides being brutal on the people who do not enjoy the life expectancy and quality of life that the wealthy do, it will cost more, anyway. Obama has caved enough already on his Obamacare. Hope it’s not true.

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Agree. He has all the cards and should ONLY feign exasperation with regard to going over the fiscal cliff . . . Fast forward to January 1st, after all taxes go back to the Clinton era rate – he will have the Repubtards by the short hairs and will easily get the 98% tax cut he wants and he will not have to move significantly on entitlement reform. Plus, the military will be significantly cut due to sequestration and I personally, am all for that. What the fuck do we need all these military bases for anyway? This is one area where I agree completely with Ron Paul – We have no business fucking around with other countries foreign affairs or as Muhammad Ali eloquently said, “I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong.”

• ewisco said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:37 pm

You’ll put many tens of thousands out if work if you simply slash defense.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm

That’s the secret and lurking dilemma that no one wants to say too loud: hey, wait, the gov’t actually does create jobs…we can have a discussion about how to pay for them, but gov’t does create jobs. It’s like budget cuts, Dems and Repubs are all serious about it — but, hey, they all love to be at the ribbon cutting of the latest feferally (or state) backed project. Either party.

• snarkk said, on December 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Defense spending is the worst kind. Because it does not create capital goods, but much of it is used to create weapons systems that just sit there until used, and when used, to not produce wealth, but kill people and destroy things. There is very little multiplier effect to the economy with defense spending. You can use taxpayer money to give people at Boeing a job making a fighter jet, they spend that money in the economy, and there is a multiplier impact from that demand creation. But, the fighter jet doesn’t itself create wealth. Once completed, It flies around and does nothing for the economy. Use the same money to have people build capital goods like tools and dies, computers, 18 wheelers, transport system repairs and upgrades, a passenger jet, etc., and you create items that directly increase production of other things, hence more aggregate wealth and more jobs…

11. twinfan1 said, on December 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Bozo, on Arias from the last thread, I was responding to Chuck.On Texas passing up Cano, I agree with you, of course. On playing LF, I’d like to see Peguero or Brown with Gregor, but I can’t see why he shouldn’t be able to play it almost as well as Posey would 😉

12. Flavor said, on December 8, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Fuckin’ Grienke going to the Dodgers. Fuck, I really thought he was going to end up with Texas. And while he’s not worth the deal he got he’s certainly worth more than everyone on that staff except Kershaw. But as one of the Dodger’s owners said, “Pitcher’s break.”
    Here’s one Giant’s fan who won’t shed a tear if Grienke *breaks*……

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

The Dodgers lately have a penchant for poor performance despite what’s on paper. My doomer side saw them or Arizona taking the division last year. But, heck, I even feared the Rockies.

• Flavor said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’m not devastated or anything. Most of the moves since the new ownership group took over have been impotent misfires, this one might blow up in their face, too.. Grienke makes that staff better, there’s no doubt. He pushes the “Capuano’s” and the “Ha-rangatang’s* to the back of the rotation, and maybe out of it all together.
        I just thought he was going to Texas and would certainly have preferred it over the Dodgers.
        But hell, if I was their ownership group I would spend till I wrote the last freaking’ check. These guys are all-in and don’t care about the budget. It’s actually a fascinating thing to watch unfold……..

• paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m sure at some point between now and opening day 2013, someone at ESPN or MLB.com will compare the Giants and Dodgers, “on paper”, position by position, and come to the conclusion that LA will run away with the West. But obviously there’s one problem with “having an All Star at every position” — that just makes it an All Star team, not a real team that plays for each other over a very long season. Greinke certainly makes LA’s rotation that much better, but I like the competition that arises. Didn’t Vogelsong match up against Kershaw a few times last season and won every time? We can do that…. makes beating the Dogs even more satisfying. Detroit was dead in the water when Pablo hit 2 HRs of of Verlander. Yep, we can do that…

• Flavor said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

this post is not long on age but it’s going to the POTD-Best of.
        Brilliant analysis Paul, and I hope you’ve found your footing with your next job endeavor. What are you doing these days?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm

extremely well articulated, from Saigon or Sausalito, fellow eponymous epistle writer

• paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Craig, thanks for asking… just at a possible cross-roads over here after leaving my former job as Principal back in May, now teaching part-time at 3 universities while waiting for a full-time job offer from one of them. If I don’t get it soon, might be headed back to China and a university where I taught before and already have an offer in hand. And of course still trying to enjoy some of the daily delights of life in these tropics….

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Paul, I fly into Bangkok on February 21st and will be in that area for 2 weeks (I may make the “circle” and visit Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia) and will leave for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on March 6th, where I will stay until the 8th, before leaving for Nepal . . . If it’s convenient for both of us, perhaps we can meet? No need to give me an answer now . . . Think about it and get back to me.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm

funny, this Paul, as opposed to Pawl, considered it for a sec

13. blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Hey, ya goof . . . I already told you that if things become a bit unsettled in your part of the world, that I will have a hammock available to you (OK, OK . . . Mosquito netting included).

By the by, anyone here – same deal goes. I will provide my itinerary to Flav and he can post it on a link (or not) with places, dates, etc., I will be at during my RTW trip.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I warned you, Steve: return with exotic bride, or else. (I don’t think “exotic” was the word I used.)

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm

In Phuket, they call them “hot and soapy” girls. HA.

Anywho, It WONT happen . . . I can’t live with anyone long term (which by my definition, is more than a couple of weeks).

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Jayson Stark’s take on the Dodgers and their dollar$. A good piece. $hee$h.

15. paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Steve, would love to meet up in Bangkok while you’re there. It’s only an hour and 15 minute flight from Saigon, I go often, usually every 2 or 3 months when I need a “Thai fix” of everything Thai. Whoa, a mini Flapalooza in Krung Thep, the City of Angels! I’ve got 3 long-time buddies in the US that try to meet up every couple of years when I’m visiting the US… I have pushed them to consider a retreat in Bangkok, but they’re all married and the wives ain’t crazy about that idea (for good reason), so it’ll never happen. You bet, keep in touch once you’ve got an itinerary….

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I already do . . . send me an email at blade3colorado@yahoo.com and I will forward.

• paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Got it, thanks…

16. paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

And just in case any of you are bored but go on Face Book now and then, you can be-friend one of my locals, Bar Mfiftytwo, to get an idea of daily life here…. 🙂

17. blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Paul, I went to your Facebook page . . . To put it succinctly, you’re living the “Life of Riley” in Vietnam. Just a wild ass guess, but after a quick purview of your photos – you don’t seem to lack for female companionship. 🙂

• paulinasia said, on December 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Well, many of those females are my students….. 🙂 But many are not. Yes, no shortage. You know the story, most of the girls come to Saigon from the countryside, because their families want boys to work the farms, fisheries, etc., and the girls are useless commodities to be sent to the city to make money for the families back home (same thing happens in Thailand, China, elsewhere over here). There are many foreigner bars here where the girls work.. not hookers, although you can find those kinds of bars too… mostly good girls who hope to find love with a foreigner, or just study in the daytime and work at the bars at night to improve their English. They’re a lot of fun, witty, and usually stunningly gorgeous. Buddha is obviously a man, because the girls get all the “good looking” genes….. And just when one of the bars is getting a little stale or boring, there’s a new crew that comes in to liven up the joint. We joke about going on a search for the factories that produce these “commodities” at such an amazingly effective and efficient rate….. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2012 at 8:11 am

A friend of mine, who recently visited there, said more or less the same thing. Excellent observation.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’d be dead in 4 days. But I’d day with a smile.