A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Who Has Been the Worst Free Agent Signing So Far?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 17, 2012

We could form a better opinion on this topic if we were discussing this in 2014 or 2015. But it’s cold and dark outside right now and I can’t think of anything better to float out there. You nominees for Worst Free Agent Signing of the Year(!) are…….

Josh Hamilton: 5 years/125 mil

Shane Victorino: 3 years/39 mil

Zack Grienke: 6 years/147 mil

BJ Upton: 5 years/75 mil

Brandon League: 3 years/22.5 mil

Of course, the Dodgers are still paying Manny (9 mil in 2013) and Andruw Jones 3 million in ’13 and ’14 so that makes these 5 guys look slightly more appealing. At least they’re playing…..

_____________________________________________

And for those of you who only read the main thread, here’s a plug for my main Pawlie Kokonuts who’s parlayed another Giants world series into another book.

PawlieKokonuts said, on December 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm (Edit)

Here’s the link on Amazon Kindle that just went live. $2.99.

1. eddacker said, on December 17, 2012 at 6:22 am

Upton has some power, but has inconsistency, too. Greinke is straight in the Zito Zone; we shall see. Victorino and Hamilton I am a fan of both. What is shocking is the Big Blue (Jay) Blitz. It may out ‘Yankee’ the Dogers. If ever a winning team could be purchased?

2. willedav said, on December 17, 2012 at 7:40 am

Impressive list of potential flops there…Upton could become the most overpaid. Paying Vic that kind of money seems ridiculous since he is only a table setter, but whatever. The thing about a Hamilton or Greinke is the short term benefit to the club. Sure they could both be way overpaid in the last couple years, but if they get the team they are playing for a WSW or two in the first few years, it’s different.
    Same thing with Pujols. The club isn’t worried about the back end, it’s looking for max payback and serious title runs in the front end. Greinke would seem the more likely to implode; how many teams has this guy been on, anyway? Hamilton I would not be surprised to see put up monster numbers.
    What the A’s did to the division was a major shock, and the reactions of big bucks teams is to go get bigger FAs. Next move is on Rangers.

3. Bozo said, on December 17, 2012 at 7:45 am

I went with Grienke as the worst. But I gotta say that I think Hamilton is the riskiest. If he shows up, it’ll be a big payday for the Disneyland Dodger wanna b’s, if he shows up.

4. Alleykat said, on December 17, 2012 at 8:24 am

Easy call,it will be Victorino,the guy is done.Stupid sigining by the Redsoxs.

5. zumiee said, on December 17, 2012 at 8:47 am

The Yankee signings and non-signings, overall, are kind of weird. Ichiro for two more years? Youkilis? That’s a team that is going to go through the Giants’ “Bonds years” of 2005-2007.
    —–
    In the book “Summer of ’68,” here’s a “fun fact”- in ’68 Catfish Hunter threw a perfect game, and 6,000 fans in Oakland bothered to show up to watch it. Which raises the question- Why did the A’s move to Oakland?

• ewisco said, on December 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

for the waters.

• Bozo said, on December 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm

They were misinformed.

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I wonder what their attendance was like when they won their string of WS titles in the 70s?

6. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

Hamilton, because of his fragile psyche.

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

ATTENTION, FLAPPERS: My book, WORLD SERIOUS: One San Francisco Giants Fan’s 2012 Pilgrimage, is available at CreateSpace.com for $5.95, title number 4094325. (Or so I am told.) I am also told it will take 5 to 7 days for Amazon.com to make it available. KindleDirectPublishing (KDP) tells me it might go live in 12 to 48 hours. Pardon the interruption. And thanks. (I’d be curious as to the results from any of these sales channels.)

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Awesome news, Pawlie. I cannot wait to read it.

I will be ordering one. I prefer Amazon, just because I am a Prime member, and get 2 day shipping for free (well, its free because I pay to be a Prime customer).

8. unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2012 at 9:56 am

F – All of the above.

Grienke and Hamilton of course have very real off-field issues that could derail their seasons and careers at any moment. The others are hopes and prayers.

Cool, Pawlie.

9. chipower9 said, on December 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I think they all have maximum sucktitude, but I went with Greinke since there wasn’t an “All the Above.” Hamilton was a close second for me. But seriously…they are all very flawed in my opinion.

10. Black and orange said, on December 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm

HOW is Hamilton not winning this in a landslide? The guy has boatloads of talent but his shaky health and drug problems are a pair of ticking time bombs that are basically guaranteed to detonate before his deal runs out. I can’t believe the Angels were dumb enough to give him 125 over 5. Absolute lunacy.

11. snarkk said, on December 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Nice take on MVPs in the same batting order by Jason Stark. BTW, he’s 61. From seeing him on TV and ESPN vids, I thought he was early 50s. Must be either Hair Club for Men, good hair coloring, or genetics. Good writer. Very fair, objective and digs past the obvious…

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Here’s the link on Amazon Kindle that just went live. $2.99.

(I think it’s free for you, Chipower, as a Prime member.)

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, Pawlie…

Fuck that…I want you to get your full royalties. Plus, I just still like actual books.

• chipower9 said, on December 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Just ordered a copy of that bad mama-jamma on Amazon. With Prime…I’ll have it in two days. Awesome, as I am just finishing-up my current read (Edward Abbey’s “Down the River”).

And am so glad you picked that particular picture for the cover…love that shot!

Hope you sell a ton of ’em! I’ll make sure to spread the word to all my baseball-loving friends.

13. Flavor said, on December 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I wasn’t as surprised that Hamilton isn’t getting the votes as much as I am that Victorino isn’t running away with it. Maybe it’s because he’ll make nearly 100 million more than Victorino, but I thought The Flyin’ Hawaiian looked beyond done when he wore Dodger puke blue. And for that he gets another 39 million? Shit, in his 8 year career he’s only made 26 mil…….

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I predict Hamilton will hit poorly in day games. Seriously what the hell is up with that?

Split BA OBP SLG OPS
    Day 0.260 0.326 0.462 0.789
    Night 0.318 0.376 0.579 0.955

• unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

He wants to rock and roll all night and part of every day . . .