A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Where Do You Stand On Hector Sanchez?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 18, 2013

That’s right, it’s February 18th (the day after Blade’s birthday. Happy (late) Birthday, bro) and I want to know what everyone thinks about our back up catcher. I know it’s not the sexiest topic but it’s what I chose to write about this morning on this fine President’s Day. He recently made the news by claiming he wanted more playing time. Well, that’s not exactly what he said. The headline read “Hector Sanchez Hopes to Earn More Playing Time with World Series Champion Giants”. But when you read his quotes all he’s saying is “Nothing’s guaranteed in baseball, I have to work hard every day, I’d be honored to catch Barry Zito again” etc.

And then Bochy had this to say about him: “To be honest, he’s got some work to do on the conditioning side.”

So our back up catcher has come into camp fat and that’s probably not the way to go about earning more playing time; even if that’s not exactly what he said he wanted….

Everyone talks about what a hitter Hector is and he might turn out to be one…..down the road. His OPS was a pedestrian .685 for the Giants last year. He was rollin’ with an unbelievably low walk rate of 2%. He swung at everything making contact with 77% of his swings. Unfortunately, not too many of those swings resulted in fly balls (34%) and that’s one reason why he only hit 3 home runs in 218 at bats. But, he’s young so the power may come later.

His BABIP was high (.349) so if you were hoping for him to improve on his .280 batting average from last year there are other things more likely to happen. So go hope for those things.

And he struck out a whopping 22% of the time.

All of this is bad, in my opinion, except we’re talking about the back up catcher and El Presidente set that bar quite low. He has age on his side and he could improve. But he’s fat and not worthy of more playing time. Not that he was asking for that anyway…….

______________________________________________________________

And for Paul and Steve, I hope you have fun tonight. While I know many Flappers who have met up in person I don’t think I can recall a better Flap *hook up* than the one you guys have put together. As far as I can tell, they’ll meet somewhere around here:

blade

1. twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 9:35 am

I’ve always thought that Hector’s upside is as a good back up catcher. Last year he caught 441 innings, Buster 973. That’s way too many.

2. Alleykat said, on February 18, 2013 at 9:45 am

Big Titty’s Part 2….

3. Salty said, on February 18, 2013 at 9:49 am

I think it’s premature to say what his ceiling might be. He basically made the jump from A ball to the pro’s in one year playing one of the tougher positions. Hitting .280 playing part time in his first year at 22 ain’t too shabby.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 9:56 am

Well, I’ve yet to find any support for the idea that he’s a prospective starter in this league.But I do keep in mind that a lot of starters are really middling back ups . It’s not a talent laden position.

4. snarkk said, on February 18, 2013 at 11:36 am

You hit the nail on the head with the bar being set low with El Presidente and Stewie. A year’s worth of them when Posey went down makes anybody coming after look like the second coming of Yogi. Let the kid settle in a bit, he was brought up quickly. He needs to improve his receiving skills and stop swinging at everything. Maybe he can get 4 walks this season. And, what’s the deal with guys coming in fat? I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen anymore in this era of year round conditioning?…

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

These bits of data on caloric intake for both Original Panda and Little Panda (Hector) hector me; they add to my seasonally adjusted doomer quotient (SADQ).

Dear Pablo and Hector: Ash Wednesday was just last week. It’s not too late to give up doughnuts, fries, beer, and lard for Lent.

• Nipper said, on February 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Giving up lard for Lent? Now that’s a bar much too high to climb for mere mortals!

6. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 18, 2013 at 11:51 am

I love how Bochy is not afraid to state these conditioning matters diplomatically. I can just see his face and hear his voice. I feel Bruce is excellent at getting a message like that out there as a motivation without causing a clubhouse ruckus, so far as I can discern anyway.

7. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

If the Flapalooza game is happening, I’ll need two tickets. Saturday, Sept. 7th, correct?
    ——
    I’m in the process of putting together the pack ‘o games that I go to, with some folks I go with every year. They’re keen on the Red Sox series. Talk about sticker-shock. $60 a ticket in the upperdeck. Seriously? Paying the price for winning a World Series. (grin) I’ll probably ending up paying it, but sheesh…..

• zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I should mention that’s part of the variable pricing thing. The Red Sox- $60, the Rockies- $30, that sort of thing.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm

yes, that’s the day for the game. It’s probably fine if you get your own but we are planning on buying tickets in the Club Level section so we could go up and talk or chat more easily than if we were all lined up in a long row of seats.

• zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I want two tickets with the Flap group. I didn’t mean to confuse the issue.
        I was just mentioning the other games I’m going to in order to make a comment about the price of the Red Sox game tickets.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Ok, but that might be “cells” of tickets. I’m looking for options, trade tickets back and forth, maybe some guys spend more time than others behind the glass, stuff like that.

• blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Don’t forget Skype. We could all bring our smartphones and do a conference call in game. πŸ™‚

8. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

The Yankees say Chris Stewart is competing for the starting catching job. Go figure. The Yankees are fully into the start of “decline” mode.

9. twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Conditioning isn’t just a matter for heavy players. I think it definitely played a part in Lincecum’s poor 2013. This is Hector’s 7th year in the organization, BTW.
    As far as the reigning WS MVP and Venzuelan series MVP-
    Buen apetito !!!

• snarkk said, on February 18, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I’ve always contended that Lincecum’s offseason 2011 swimming regimen contributed to his bad 2012 season. What pitchers do an offseason heavy with swimming? If he bounces back this year after an offseason of core work and more traditional conditioning, I’ll feel vindicated. If he sucks again, swimming had little to do with it…

• Alleykat said, on February 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I thought Timmeh’s only water excersise was cleaning out his Bong water…

10. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I read an interesting article in the NY Times yesterday about the new closer for for the Tigers, a guy named Rondon, a 22 year-old phenom. The Tigers are very excited about him.

11. Macdog said, on February 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Sanchez did get two walks — neither one intentional — in Game 4 vs. the Reds, so, hey, maybe he’s turned the corner.

12. twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Woman of the Day- Elizabeth Warren

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Enough.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Of what? I’ll drop the real.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:22 pm

keep the fucking page up but stop with the non-stop advertisement of it. Everyone knows the page is there. If they want to go there they aren’t stupid, they can look to the right and click on it. I want the blog to discuss baseball, not your juvenile hater response to getting banned from the BBOTD page.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I think discussion of women of acccomplishment is good material. I linked to Ms. Warren because she was today’s woman of the day. I’m not a hater, I’m happy to leave “bag over the head” to those who do enjoy it.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Good. Then keep your post over at B. if you want to advertise it, do do at your blog.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

You really have a problem with me advertising who the woman of the day is ? Really?
        My blog was only restored because of my “news”…
        Why are you harassing me? I handled this very well- making a page about women we can all admire- and I encouraged people to nominate women or girls they personally know- for instance, you could talk about Katy, maybe someone wants to talk about their Mom, a teacher, a woman coach…

13. Bozo said, on February 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Who the hell is Hector Sanchez? Just kidding. The dude is young and made a big jump to the show last year. Is he being groomed for when the Giants move Buster? Is he being groomed for a career as a back-up? I don’t know. He does have more, or at least a chance for more, pop in his bat. His D had a few shaky points last year, as I recall he had the yips throwing back to the pitchers in a game or two and I also seem to remember some balls in the dirt that I thought he should have had. But, as already been mentioned, he’s a step up from Vera’s child and Stewie.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

“he’s a step up from Vera’s child and Stewie.”
      I argued that when I was insisting he had a shot to make the team out of camp last Spring. But he should not be catching 45 percent as many innings as Buster, as he did last year…I think it will prove out what I and most scoiuting reports think- his upside is as a ( good) second string catcher.
      That can get the guy a long career.

14. Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Just listened to Belt on Lurie’s show. Dude sounds like a completely different guy. Confident, loud, happy. He’s ready. Whether he can do it or not and take it to the next level (and I think that level is 15/85rbi’s) is unknown. But he’s shed that pussy-awkward-quiet shit. He’s found his voice. I’m diggin’ it

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I’ve noticed quotes from Belt lately too. Dude definitely is feeling confident. You think he tops out around 15 hrs? Why because of the yard? I think he can be a 25 hr guy. He has such effortless power. By the way, I make 7K a month working from home. I never even leave the house. Doh! Too soon?

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm

15 this year. I could see 25 in a couple of years. And I’d like to hook you up for a convo about this 7k home-work thing with my daughter’s mother at some point really soon. πŸ™‚

15. Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Saw the Monty/Crabbe face off: I get what Monty was doing but you don’t put your hands on a college player like that. He didn’t push him hard, that’s obvious, he just made contact to make a point. But I can’t support the contact. Use your words, to a degree, but don’t put your hands on these kids. That’s Woody Hayes shit…….

• willedav said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I was surprised that happened too, and I think the flippancy of Monty’s response when asked about it re: “worked didn’t it?”, signifies he knows better. Marques J I think had it right when he said at the end, “You gotta be careful about that.”
      I’ve been in a running argument with stanford fans who can’t stand Dawkins, and i’m sure they would point to Monty as a guy who knows how to get it done and gets fiery when he has to. My point is dawkins team is not good enough to get to the big dance on talent alone, and actually I don’t think cal is either. And the reason is the players are not playing well enough (as they did in NIT).
      Cal won because the players, crabbe in particular, finally woke up, hit some shots and shut down SC, a team with a losing record. Players made it happen, as they either do or don’t.

16. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

In one of the baseball magazines I have, they have a list of active players closest to 3,000 hits. Very few of them are gonna make it. Here’s their numbers, and my opinions.
    A-Rod: 2,901 (he’ll make it eventually.)
    Vizquel: 2,877 (he’s still active?)
    Damon: 2,769 (same question, he’s still active?)
    Ichiro: 2,606 (I’m doubtful)
    Abreu: 2,437 (none chance)
    Helton: 2,420 (Mr. Ballpark-aided fake-guy seems doubtful)
    Thome: 2,328 (uh, no)
    Pujols: 2,246 (if he can avoid Father Time putting that piano on his back)
    Michael Young: 2,230 (I have no idea)
    Beltre: 2,227 (probably not)
    Konerko: 2,183 (I have no idea about this guy, toiling in AL obscurity)
    Juan Pierre: 2,141 (none chance)
    Scott Rolen: 2,077 (none)
    Beltran: 2,064 (Mr. Gave-us-nothing-in-return-for-Zack-Wheeler has very little chance)

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Juan Pierre having over 2000 hits has GOT to call into question the 3000 hit plateau. But I agree, none of those guys are hitting 3K. And the 300 win plateau looks it was finally and ultimately climbed by Mr Steroid Abuser himself, Roger Clemens. There’s no one with even a remote chance of winning 300. Omar has a better chance of reaching 3000 hits after he dies than someone ever hitting the 300 win mark again……

• zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Yeah, looking at the list, the only one that kind of remotely jumps out at me is Halladay with 199. But does anyone seriously think he has 101 wins left in him, given the way pitchers are used these days?

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Halladay, who is breaking down, would have to win 20 every year for the next FIVE years to still find himself a win short. No way, no how, no chance…….

• xoot said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Perhaps you’re being a bit hard on Beltran. He’s a cold-eyed pro and not very likable, but he’s an excellent player. After he got over the minor injury in 2011 he produced pretty well for the Giants. .323/.369/.551 in 44 games. 7/18 in those games wasn’t super hot, but it wasn’t a bust. I think he outperformed everyone else on the team except Pablo. There just wasn’t enough happening around them. As to 3000 — I don’t see Beltran surviving long enough to get close.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Before and after his injury in August, he was awful. He had a big September.

17. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm

A-Rod has a longshot chance to become the all-time RBI leader. He has 1,950 compared to the leader, Aaron with 2,297. A-Rod has 647 HRs, and will never catch Bonds at 762, something that seemed a strong possibility a few years ago. A-Rod got old kind of quick. It can happen in sports. A-Rod ain’t going to the Hall of Fame, anyway. That chance is done, given his use of PEDs.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:45 pm

A-Rod is done, totally and completely. He may play for the Yankees again (but a retirement wouldn’t surprise me). If he ever does come back he’ll just be a shell of himself and won’t get the RBI record—Even if he comes back faking health he’ll incur another massive injury. He’s paying the price for steroid use. So many players will pay the price in their later years. An Early death will be normal for a lot of these guys……

• zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I’m going to be far more aware of Yankee news this season, because I’ve taken to reading the NY Times on my Kindle. Should make for much interesting roller-coaster drama.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:12 pm

It’s a totally different world. And as I’ve always said, I’m no Yankee fan, and even though I watch alot of their games I’d qualify myself as a neutral observer, But I totally appreciate what those players go through on a daily basis–it’s a media onslaught that no other team experiences (except the Red Sox). That shit wears on you, unless you’re the consummate professional…….

18. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Pujols is at 475 HRs. Anyone think he has 287 HRs left in him to catch Bonds?
    Pujols has managed to avoid steroidal smearing of his name. We’ll see if his clean image holds up. If it does hold up, he makes the Hall eventually.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

First of all (and Zumie I thank you for giving me these targets tonight, I’ve got nothing else going on πŸ™‚ ) Pujols is probably 36 or 37. And I think he took steroids. Couple that with his clear decline over the last couple of years, and all I can do is LQTM at the Angels who still owe him a 1/4 of a BILLION dollars.
      He’ll hit another 100 HR’s or so and slip into the same sad decline that A-Rod is going through now…….

19. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Somebody won on Jeopardy tonight by knowing the capital city of Armenia, which is Yeravan. I had no idea what the capital city of Armenia was. It made me feel kind of geographically ignorant.

20. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I’m not bitter about the Beltran/Wheeler trade. I supported the trade at the time. In the ultimate sense, it didn’t work out, though, for 2011. I AM curious to see Wheeler pitch eventually for the Mets. I’m curious to see why everyone is so high on him.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Sabean reached down his pants and went for it. I don’t fault him for the Beltran trade for a moment, in fact, I salute him. Sometimes you have to take a shot and they had the team to get to the post season that year. Beltran was mostly worthless but that’s not the point. They could have gotten there with a few breaks and some production from Beltran that resembled a major league stud.
      Toronto is going for it this year and I couldn’t admire them more. They saw the collapse of the pathetic Red Sox and the slow demise of the Yankees and now they’re taking they’re shot. I’m almost rooting for them. You have a team that smartly decides that this year is the time to finally dump money into the team, as opposed to other years when it didn’t matter what the fuck you did, and it’s easy to get behind this bold push from The Blue Jays in 2013…

• blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I am absolutely bitter about the Beltran trade. Umm, the Flap fantasy league trade that my cousin made with me – I forgot who I gave up for Beltran, but Dennis had his panties in a bunch when that trade was final. By all indications, it looked like I took my cousin to the cleaners . . . Fast forward during the season, Beltran was a piece of shit. Often going a week with out getting a hit. He is worthless in my opinion. πŸ™‚

21. zumiee said, on February 18, 2013 at 7:12 pm

A funny line in one of the baseball magazines: “These ARE your father’s Yankees.”

22. twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

In 2009 at least Fruckie saved the deadline trade by helping in 2010. Beltran walked after 2011 and we lost our best starting pitcher prospect. I don’t blame Sabean but it’s a fact of life about rental trades- don’t make the playoffs, it’s a bad trade.

• DJLoo said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:19 pm

But the Beltran trade might have led to some moves that helped them win in 2012.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

It’s a bad trade because it didn’t work out. The trade, pre-trade, was a sound trade.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:30 pm

That’s what I said, it was bad because it didn’t work. i don’t blame Sabean for making it.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I said that awhile back, it did lead to the Pagann deal. It’s a question of whether they could have kept Beltran. If they could have, it’s Beltran vs. Pagan. Not an easy call.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Well, that’s a different argument. You hated the Pagan trade. And it’s an easy call, Beltran sucked dick in the 2nd half of 2012, Pagan thrived. And he thrived into the playoffs.

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

and I have shit to go do tonight so go enjoy your new paintings or something. I’m out.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I hated the trade and spent the last half or more admitting about 150 times or more how wrong I was. You’ve flogged that long enough.
        Pagan did have a better second half than Beltran, but he didn’t have a good postseason, Craig.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I always have things to enjoy, but thanks for the thought.

23. DJLoo said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Wheeler might have the same career as Kurt Ainsworth. And maybe we never would’ve gotten Pence. The Beltran trade was a failure for the 2011 Giants but you can make a fair argument that it somehow helped them in 2012.

• twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm

That’s the best kind of argument, isn’t it- totally hypothetical.

24. twinfan1 said, on February 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Anyway- Z thought that picking them to win the division but only giving Sabes a C+ for the off season was inconsistent or something. Here’s the deal- they didn’t improve themselves- and there are areas where improvement would aid their chances of repeating. That’s not inconsistent with saying that they still should have enough to win what will be a close race to win the West.
    It was a great dinner, BTW.Nice paintings but not finished, good haircut,a nice walk, the ladies are watching a film, I’m watching a different film, commenting here, Zeke’s at my feet… yeah, Craig, thanks for asking- good day. And now I’ll watch Ms. Warren kick some ass again. Good stuff…

25. DJLoo said, on February 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I used to hotwalk a very talented Woody Stephens filly named Mrs. Warren about 35 years ago…

26. blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Flav, thank you for the birthday wishes. It has been an interesting week for me . . . Torrential rains in Brisbane, a birthday I guess I would rather have – all things considered – if the choice is being 6 feet underground.

Oh yeah, because The Flap is like Cheers – a place where we can all be honest, not only about baseball, but all things, my girlfriend wasn’t able to “hang” insofar as me being gone on this RTW trip.

Yep, it’s over. Kaput! I think it was getting close to the end between her and I, when she went off on me for no reason (I would share, but you don’t want to read her emails). In any event, I told her I wont tolerate drama from anyone. So what happens today? I meet Kerry and we hit it off famously as the saying goes and spend the day together. A future blog post will have pictures of this beautiful woman. Too bad I am out of here in a couple of days . . . sigh. Have no fear though – PaulInAsia to the rescue. Ha.

By the by, I am so frickin’ happy right now – so no “how are you taking it Steve?” comments, ok. πŸ™‚

Second by the by, I have two new blog posts . . . http://aroundtheworldwithblade.wordpress.com/

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Sooo, the strawberry ice cream is good in Brisbane? πŸ˜‰

• blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm

LMFAO Dirt. Good one.

• blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I just saw the posts related to promoting other blogs . . . Sorry Flav. I will stop. πŸ™‚

27. James said, on February 18, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Verlander has a chance to get close to 300 Ws, if he pitches full seasons until he’s 39 or 40.

• blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2013 at 12:42 am

Just about all the so-called experts said that Randy Johnson would be the last 300 win pitcher. I laugh at that stuff though . . . By 2030, science will be able to grow bionic/cyborg arms and rotator cuffs, with matching DNA, whereby Bud’s nephew or whomever is the Commissioner than, wont be able to outlaw it because no testing exists. πŸ™‚

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 5:23 am

Well, today’s steroids will be OTC vitamin pills, so you may not be far off…

28. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 5:35 am

if Verlander maintained his current 17.7 win average over the next 10 seasons, he’d win 301. Of course he won’t do either one.

29. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 5:43 am

Sabathia has the best chance, IMO.