A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

SF Pitching Rotation Order

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2013

With Matt Cain declared the Opening Day starter, it got me to wonder about the rest of the rotation. Despite Bochy’s brilliant use of Lincecum out of the bullpen in the playoffs, it’s almost a 100% certainty that he’ll return to the rotation. But what spot? If Bochy decides to go R/L/R/L/R then it can be assumed that MadBum would get the two slot although it’s also possible that Zito would get it with MB switching to the 4. But let’s say MadBum is #2. Do you then go Timmy #3? Because in this pattern that’s now going to shift Voggy to the #5. Is Voggy a number 5? Not to me.

If Bochy doesn’t go with the L/R order all the way through the rotation, I still think it’s likely that MadBum gets the #2 slot and Timmy goes #3 with Voggy #4 and Zito #5. And I think he’d do that mostly because Zito’s already pitched as the #5 and knows he could handle the *label* of being a #5. But Timmy already handled the *demotion* to the bullpen in last year’s playoffs so he probably wouldn’t freak out if he was given the #5 spot.

If we had 6 starters I think the best thing would be to leave Timmy in his *Super Reliever* role that he dominated in last October. Maybe there is something about less time to prepare or less pitches to throw that allows Tim to come out with his filthiest stuff. But we don’t have a 6th starter who could slide into the rotation if Bochy kept Lincecum in *super relief*.

This is a *problem* that’s fairly specific to San Francisco. Most teams don’t have more than 2 or 3 stud starting pitchers. They’re  just worried about finding something un-dead to trot out to the mound in the #4  and #5 spots.

Once the season gets underway, their spot in the order will get defined by how well they pitch. I doubt Timmy has a lot of rope with Bochy going into the season. If he’s mailing in the sub par performances we got from him last year he will not last long in the rotation. Last year, he made it all the way to the end of the season before his role changed. This year? I would say middle of May is about the length of Bochy’s tolerance if the *2012* Timmy shows up in 2013…….

1. Bozo said, on February 19, 2013 at 6:52 am

Flav, you took the words right out of my mouth. I am in complete agreement with this whole post.

2. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:17 am

I think your analysis is good, but have no idea how the rotation shakes out. I think how each pitcher performs in ST will have some bearing on the order.

I was thinking about this once Cainer was announced as the Opening Day starter, as it made me wonder who we will see on the bump for the home opener (that’ll be whoever is in the 4 hole). My guess (hope) is that VogelStrong gets the nod for the Home Opener…and that goes against any R-L-R-L-R logic.

But, if it does go R-L-R-L-R, it’ll be either MadBum or Zito, and I am down with either of those, too. Really, Opening Day (my absolute FAVORITE day of the year), coming off of our second WS title in three years…it is all good…hell, Mike Murphy can take the hill for all I’m concerned (not really, but when you’re basking in the glow of 2-in-3, the details are not as important). My preference though, is Vogey.

Let’s get it on!

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:19 am

Bochy loves the R/L/R/L set up in all things so I don’t see him going away from it. I think he’ll slot Vogelsong #5 just because he is mature enough and been through so much that he won’t care. Bochy will use the WBC participation as some sort of reason. Not that he didn’t want Vogelsong to do it but that starting the season #5 will give him a little rest out of the gate or something like that.

4. xoot said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:36 am

I think RLRLR will start the season and Lincecum will get his first start at home, on a very cool Saturday night, vs. the Cardinals. Good place, good time.

5. Salty said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:43 am

Cain Bum Vog Zito Tim….Timmy wants to get back to elite status, but he’s got to prove it. He knows that. This will give him motivation.

6. Alleykat said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:48 am

Agree with Dirt.Bochy will want to give Vogs the extra rest to start the season after the WBC wraps up.Putting him at the # 5 slot early will help him more in the long run.
    Timmeh’s out to prove people wrong this year,and i feel he will, new hair,new stare,fresh underwear,Boch won’t need a leash as he comes back strong IMO.
    Rotation…Cain..Bum…Freak..Zits..Vogs..to start out,always subject to change due to an injury or matchup.

7. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:08 am

There’s zero question that Cain/MadBum are 1/2. The 3/4/5 are tougher. Zito is expected by virtually all non-biased observers to put up W/L numbers commensurate with how *he* actually performed in 2012, and one can’t expect 4.75 RPG support for him again. He shoud be,as Craig accurately portayed him at one time last year-serviceable . 11-11 or so seems right based on his consistently mediocre peripherals. Timmy is a tougher read, but he’s not going to be the “super reliever”.. spend your life savings on that bet.Again, consensus among all the “projectioneers” is a bounce back year-not CY quality- but a solid three, a fair slot that respects his 4 years of good work. Remember that they gave Zits the one spot to open 2008 out of respect, even though he was horrid in 2007. Zits will get the 4- drawing the home opener against St.Louis- another absolute no brainer given his outing against them in the postseason. So poor Vogey gets the 5.. well, at least he has Nicole.

So I’m calling Cain/MBum/Doogie/Zits/Vogey
    Season records:
    Cain 15-10 2.95
    MadBum 16-6 3.45
    Doogie 13-10 3.75
    Zits 11-11 4.25
    Vogey 13-11 3.35

8. Bozo said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hunter Pence’s response to Baggs after Baggs mentioned it was Hunters first spring in Arizona and he’d appreciate the much shorter trips to visiting parks.

“Doesn’t matter,” he said. “A long bus ride is a chance to do some reading. Either way, I get to play baseball. That’s awesome!”

I love ST quotes.

9. Alleykat said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:27 am

Yeah Bozo,ST quotes are great…
    Here’s one from Scoots..”I took my glove,my gamer,out of the bag when I got here yesterday and it was still cold from Detroit.It’s still freezing.”
    Gold Baby!!!!!

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:28 am

You gotta love it!

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

Even Boch gets to have a little fun in ST.

“Big news, Vogey, I just told them you’re starting the Cactus League opener,” Bochy said.
        “All right! I’ve been hoping all winter. Dream come true!” Vogelsong said.

10. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:53 am

Yep…love the ST vibe and quotes. Just got the downloads to my final tickets via StubHub this weekend. Line-up:

Friday March 14 – Giants vs. Rangers in Scottsdale

Saturday March 15 – Split squad – early game in Scottsdale against Dusty’s Thugs, late game in Goodyear against the Tribe

Sunday March 16 – The Rox

We’ll do the obligatory dinner at Don and Charlie’s and visit an old friend from active-duty Air Force days that I have not seen in years. Gonna be an awesome trip…cannot wait!

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

Sounds like a great time chi.

11. willedav said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:55 am

Twin did make a point that was relevant yesterday about “standing pat” in re LF. We talked about upgrading LF after melk was gone, forever here last year. We saw blanco up and down, Nady, and I think Theriot even played there at least once. Before that we saw the likes of pill and belt there too, and I wouldn’t be surprised Arias has an OF glove just in case need arises.
    I think the IF is going to be fine as long as they can stay on the field, with very good defense. I think belt and pablo have good seasons, crawford avg stays in sight of .250 and scutaro is a solid #2 hitter. Arias can back up anywhere and provide occasional pop. Posey/Hector should work fine.
    I’m not so sure about OF, especially the corners, and Sabes might have missed a bet in off season about getting a bigger upgrade than Andres torres. I don’t have any idea what the likes of Brown or peguero would do at this level. Could they do more than blanco did last year? Future guys or stopgaps? And you have to hope Pence isn’t a high priced .260 hitter with occasional pop that often looks lost at the plate…which would remind me of someone we no longer have to pay that I don’t want to think about anymore.

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:31 am

I am less worried about Pence’s average, as long as he can hit near his career averages in HRs and RBIs. Regardless of the .219 average in SF, he did drive in 45 runs and had 7 HRs in a little over a third of his ABs.

12. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:12 am

Matching up with the Bums….The other night I picked us to win a tight West, That’s not my final call, that comes 3/31. But as things look now, I’m repeating that I expect 3 NL WEST teams in the postseason- with the Dodgers and DBacks grabbing the WC spots…
    Posey/Ellis- huge edge SF
    Belt/Gonzalez- I love me my Belt and his delightful wife- but huge edge LA
    Scooter/Mark Ellis- slight edge SF
    Crawdad/.Hanley- huge edge LA
    Panda/Cruz- huge edge SF
    Pence/Ethier- even
    Pagan/Kemp- large edge LA
    Blanco and Torres/Crawford- who knows?
    Bench- slight edge SF
    Cain/Kershaw- edge LA
    MadBum/Greinke- even
    Beckett/Doogie-even
    Zits/Ryu and Billingsley- they’re all fine dancers
    Vogey/Harang- edge SF
    Pen- even
    Manager- huge edge Bonehead

Fat Head puts us over the top.

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

I have read where Barbara (Billingley) has had no issues during his re-had for a partially torn elbow ligament. He has supposedly thrown off the mound a dozen or so times, and hit 94 during his last simulated game. On the flip-side, elbows are funny things (funny bone puns intended), so we’ll see how he weathers throughout the year.

13. willedav said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’m not trying to doom things up—SF should be really good this year; anyway you slice it the rotation and pen are tops, and expertly managed and coached. But I am old enough fart to recall days when Giants churned out quality OFs for dang near 20 years, from 50s all the way up through G Maddox and G Matthews. Sabes has continually had to reconstruct from outside the system, from torres burrell and ross to melk and pagan, and then pence, and finally gave up on Nate, last of homegrown bowker gang.
    I just can’t recall the last decent OF the farm system produced. Snarkk and Loo brought this up too, and it’s all the more glaring because of all the success they’ve had with pitching, plus Posey Sando belt and crawford on the IF.

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:45 am

Liked your post about Jennifer Azzi on the WOTD page…

14. Salty said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:37 am

Seems they were always looking for the next Mays. The last one was Chili I believe. They took 12 OF (not counting Brown) in the first round since Matthews in 68 and all of them were complete busts.

Then again, how many championships did they win with all those “quality” OF’s?

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

We were one of the last teams to take advantage of the tools that the electronic age afforded scouting and personnel departments.

• Salty said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

And of course unitl recently the futility wasn’t just with OFer’s. Most of the really good players were acquired via trade or FA. ie; Leonard, Kent Mitchell Burks Snow Bonds Nen Beck Swift Schmidt, Champ Summers

15. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:54 am

Ted made a very sad post last year that made the POTD HOF- maybe he’s feeling down again- maybe send him an Email, or some cookies…tell him to come back here. Pronto..

• TedSpe said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Gentlemen(?), I’ve been here, reading the posts. I’ve just been suffering from ennui or something and haven’t felt I had anything interesting to add. Again, not that that ever stopped me before

• chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

Well, WTF…don’t let it stop you now, either.

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 11:09 am

This ought to get your juices flowing, Ted

• tedspe said, on February 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm

That helps, thanks

16. Alleykat said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:07 am

Great news for Flap beer drinkers:
    Giants and Anchor Steam plan on adding a new.brewery across.from McCovey Cove,+ a resturant and museum.Quadruple their current barrels of 120,000 a year to 600,000!!!!
    Oh hell yes,,,bring it on!!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I saw that too. Pretty cool. I have been meaning to do the Anchor Steam brewery tour. I hear it is pretty good.

17. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:39 am

Saw that news. For those who have not…here is a story on the topic…

• xoot said, on February 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Amazing that Anchor is the largest manufacturer in the City at only 10,000 bbls per month. That central-east side of town where they’re building used be the industrial capital of the west. Better for our air that it isn’t now, of course.

18. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:41 am

A friend of mine’s brew club won homebrewer’s club of the year a couple of years ago, and got an invite for a tour, dinner, etc. from Anchor. I was blessed to attend as a guest (we were in town for a David Grisman concert). The current Anchor location is an awesome facility…very cool. Glad to see they will be expanding.

19. Salty said, on February 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Plucked this list from McCovey Chronicles. Baseball America’s top 100 is out and includes 1 Giant.

Talking about their failure to produce OFer’s, thought it interesting to see how many of those prospects made the top 100 at one time.

Year – No. of Giants prospects on the list – Name (overall rank)
    2013 – 1 – Kyle Crick (66)
    2012 – 1 – Gary Brown (38)
    2011 – 2 – Brandon Belt (23); Zack Wheeler (55)
    2010 – 4 – Buster Posey (7); Madison Bumgarner (14); Wheeler (49); Thomas Neal (96)
    2009 – 4 – Bumgarner (9); Posey (14); Angel Villalona (44); Tim Alderson (45)
    2008 – 2 – Villalona (33); Alderson (84)
    2007 – 2 – Tim Lincecum (11); Jonathan Sanchez (69)
    2006 – 2 – Matt Cain (10, just behind Lastings Milledge!); Marcus Sanders (65)
    2005 – 3 – Cain (13); Merkin Valdez (58); Fred Lewis (78)
    2004 – 2 – Valdez (40); Cain (91)
    2003 – 5 – Jesse Foppert (5); Jerome Williams (50); Kurt Ainsworth (64); Todd Linden (82); Francisco Liriano (83)
    2002 – 4 – Williams (19); Boof Bonser (29); Ainsworth (58); Tony Torcato (83)
    2001 – 4 – Williams (19); Ainsworth (30); Torcato (60); Niekro, (85)
    2000 – 1 – Ainsworth (58)
    1999 – 1 – Jason Grilli (44)
    1998 – 1 – Grilli (54)
    1997 – 2 – Joe Fontenot (45); Dante Powell (92)
    1996 – 2 – Shawn Estes (72); Fontenot (96)
    1995 – 2 – J.R. Phillips (73); Powell (90)
    1994 – 2 – Salomon Torres (22); Phillips (83)
    1993 – 4 – Calvin Murray (33); Kevin Rogers (50); Joe Rosselli (65); Steve Hosey (83)
    1992 – 4 – Royce Clayton (6); Torres (30); Hosey (61); Derek Reid (95)
    1991 – 5 – Clayton (23); Steve Decker (52); Johnny Ard (77); Hosey (83); Rogers (89)
    1990 – 2 – Hosey (52); Eric Gunderson (85)

20. Salty said, on February 19, 2013 at 2:15 pm

At least he had the 1 hr.

21. snarkk said, on February 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I once had a bad case of ennui.
    A huge dose of antibiotics got rid of it…

22. Flavor said, on February 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Salty, the worst part of that *prospects list* is this: The Giants took Tony Torcato with the 19th pick in the first round in 1998. With the next pick, the Indians chose CC Sabathia.
    Epic failure, especially since CC played high school ball in our backyard. Our scouting department smoked massive amounts of pole back in 1998…….

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm

On Sabean’s watch, GM as of ’96…

23. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Fire Sabean Now!
    Where is that FSN guy?
    Ah! Here we go! Like old times…

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm

From SBNation, this tells it all:

” Fire Sabean- 39 posts 936 comments
      joined Apr 18, 2010, last login….

*Nov 02, 2010 *

24. DJLoo said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:08 pm

He wasn’t alone. I had it with Sabes the year he gave Dave Roberts that stupid deal and brought back a washed up Aurilia for moronic money…

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:32 pm

My last post was just noting the The Worst Day of FSN’s life…
      His website is an empty space in the midst of trillions of x’s and 0’s…untethered from the Mother Spaceship, it will wander for eternity. Sad.
      FSN’s reason for living ended with that last log in…

• DJLoo said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

For his sake I hope that was the day he started living…

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Afraid not, his gravestone was located in a field near an abandoned shack plastered with FIRESABEANNOW! posters, bumperstickers, and petitions…

fsn

25. paulinasia said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm

About the outfield, it was really the only spot perhaps needing upgrading…. but perhaps not. I don’t know, maybe it’s just part of the hangover (or, still high) from basking, but after watching a lot of video from last season, especially the post season, I’m feeling fairly comfortable with Blanco as the starting LFer. Torres and someone else can be the roving 4th and 5th. Gregor’s offense will never be the power guy a lot of us want out there, but *if* Pence’s power numbers go up, complemented by an expected power uptick from Belt and maybe some more HRs from Posey at home, I have no problem with Blanco out there. His defense just flat out saves runs and wins games. Pleasure to watch. This team needs more HRs, but clearly it’s built on pitching, speed, and defense, and if they play well enough across 162 games to make the playoffs (which they will), then this will again be the team to beat in the post season.

26. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm

(wrong spot)

• TedSpe said, on February 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Ay?

• unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm

That’s what she said.

• tedspe said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm

(rimshot)

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Glad to see you back, Ted.
        Peer Gynt run is over, I presume. Or, on to A Doll’s House, now? Torvald, or given your background, maybe Krogstad?… 😉

• TedSpe said, on February 19, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Actually, bad Saroyan and good O’Neill. Had a great time playing Driscoll in The Long Voyage Home. Bi-polar drunken Irishman.:
        “Lave him alone you bloody insect!!!…”

27. tedspe said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I was listening to some panels from the FanFest on KNBR over the weekend. Bochy’s gotta watch it. He still gives his dull generic quotes to the press but he was opening up with his sense of humor at FanFest. Dude’s actually pretty damn funny. This has probably already been posted but just to entertain ya’ll again:

• Irish Kevin said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Hey I was not that drunk.

28. DJLoo said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Gregor on the juice Might be as good as Melky on the juice. I hope he does it. These journeymen need a big pay day. I say juice up.

• tedspe said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I haven’t read such advocacy of juice since Anita Bryant

• James said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Johnny Cochran would have begged to differ.

• tedspe said, on February 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

“If I can’t beg to differ, the results are an iffer”

29. blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2013 at 2:21 am

New thread on my blog . . . By the way, I indicated yesterday I wouldn’t say anything about my blog, but Craig encouraged me to mention it here. Thank you Craig!

Nevertheless, if anyone has a problem with me doing that, send me an email (to maintain your anonymity) and I will stop saying anything about it here. You all have been positive about it, but you all count, thus this message. I have had a tremendous response, especially from people living in other countries. Again, thank you all who are following. Go Giants! 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 am

Craig wasn’t referring to you, we all know that, Steve.

• blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm

No, actually I didn’t. The inconsistency of my wifi connection the last couple of weeks, coupled with maintaining my own blog and emailing friends and enjoying my rtw trip, leaves me little time to read each flap post most days (which pisses me off). The other factor – which Ed and Paul in asia can relate to – is the time difference . . . Usually, I am sleeping when you guys are posting. So no, I really didn’t grasp that issue when I posted that.

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I was just reassuring you that he wasn’t referring to you.

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2013 at 7:55 am

Quit clogging the blog, foo!

Just kidding…I like getting a “tickler alert” that you have posted a new thread on your blog…sometimes I won’t think to go look, as I may have just been distracted by the BBOTD, or news about Fred Lewis, etc. And of I am looking forward to your visit to Thailand and meeting with Paul (and of course, the ensuing pictures). 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2013 at 11:04 am

Pictures are evidence Chi. 🙂

30. willedav said, on February 20, 2013 at 7:42 am

James, another fred lewis sighting on the blog in Salt’s post on prospects. And compared to the tony torcatos of the world the Giants turned out, fred looks pretty good.

• James said, on February 20, 2013 at 8:05 am

Yeah, Fred has stuck around for 7 years. Unlikely, but I hope he’s put the majority of his 2+ million in earnings away.

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2013 at 9:00 am

Fred’s 2008 compares well with Vungo’s 2010 and Angel’s 2012 as to the lead-off position in the batting order. Here are their numbers just in the 1-hole

Fred Lewis 2008- 333 AB 62 R 22 2B 8 3B 7 HR 28 RBI 19-24 SB .279 AB .350 OBP .806 OPS
        Vungo 2010 – 427 AB 75 R 35 2B 7 3B 14 HR 52 RB1 24-29 SB .260 BA .332 OPB .805 OPS
        Angel 2012 – 338 AB 66 R 21 2B 13 3B 7 HR 28 RBI 15-19 SB .290 BA .338 OBP ..829 OPS

Wait a minute! There’s always room for one more!

201 AB 29 R 15 2B 1 3B 6 HR 25 RBI 3-4 SB .294 BA .341 OBP .809 OPS
        ROHAND!!!! 2009

31. willedav said, on February 20, 2013 at 9:06 am

Last year we all wondered if SF could keep craw at SS every day if he hit badly; turned out his second half he improved greatly in field and at the plate. LF could be the same argument Maybe a full season of blanco as a starter will do the same for him.
    I always wonder if SF will score enough runs during the season to win enough games. Last year we had half year of Melk in the OF, and when he left he was leading the league and was part of the reason SF did so well vs. LHP. Blanco’s ceiling is probably closer to .260 than .360, so the extra offense will have to come from other sources. Full season of Sando? 15-20 bombs from belt and pence?

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

Melky played until 8-14. Obviously he was part of our August production, but the team lad the NL in runs scored over the last two months of the season. His production was picked up by Scooter, Pagan, the rookies… I don’t see that we need extra offense to compensate for his loss this year. Obviously Scooter will not not hit .362 but Pence won’t hit .205 or whatever it was, either. His production has been replaced already, IMO.

• willedav said, on February 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Um, he was one of the best hitters in the entire league up to the all star break…I don’t see pence or blanco doing that. Last couple months were big for crawford (I think .285) and of course scutaro at .360 as you mention, something else I wouldn’t expect. A

32. Salty said, on February 20, 2013 at 9:20 am

Here’s another wtf draft pick just for kicks

1995 Giants took Joe Fontenot one pick ahead of Roy Halladay. But looking at the first rd for yrs 90-96, a lots of teams must have been using a dart board.

Don’t know if this was mentioned, but according to the guy who recruited Blanco, this year’s surprise could be Javier Herrerra.

33. Bozo said, on February 20, 2013 at 11:15 am

For those interested, Belt put up a new blog post. http://brandon.mlblogs.com/

Seems like He’s ready to move out of Walnut Creek, so he can be closer to the Ball Park. I think he and his wife should move in with Tedspe. That would make this upcoming Flap year unforgettable in many ways!

• Ted Spe said, on February 20, 2013 at 11:28 am

I only have room for the wife. But I’ll allow occasional visits

• James said, on February 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Ted, you may be unaware that Brandon B., once a weak-minded, underperforming pussy, seems to have clouded the process of selecting his mate with considerations that are unusual for the typical ML player.

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

LMAO on both comments. That’s priceless, Ted…only room for the wife, but allowing occasional visits.

And love James’s comment “Brandon B., once a weak-minded, underperforming pussy…” Is he no longer a weak-minded, underperforming pussy? I think a lot of Flappers are expecting a good year from BB. Maybe he can put all of that behind him. 😉

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Interesting stream of consciousness post by Belt on his blog. Two lines tood out to me;

“This year, we took a slightly different route, going through Holbrook in northeastern Arizona because on the map it looked a lot shorter.”

“We loved Walnut Creek”

Stick with your day job Belt.

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for the heads-up John…I continually forget to look for new threads there. Hopefully MudBug will put something new up soon, too.

• Bozo said, on February 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I check to see what the Brandons or the White Shark are up to because I enjoy their post quite a bit. Nothing was going on this winter so you didn’t miss anything chi. They are fun reads aren’t they? When Crawford was having that bad first half with the glove, he talked about how that was completely new to him. The kid came out of it to be a guy entering ST and his name already being mentioned for Gold Glove considerations.. Cool stuff.

• chipower9 said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, I tried to remember to check them regularly last year…wasn’t always successful, but yeah…they are fun reads. Great to get a player’s perspective.

34. Alleykat said, on February 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Like Johnny Cochran.quote”If the glove don’t fit.ya gotta acquit”.
    Kinda goes with Fred Lewis:”If the glove don’t work just quit”.

• blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2013 at 2:30 pm

LOL

35. snarkk said, on February 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I thought after 2 WS wins in 3 years, Freddles would have faded as a Flap topic…

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm

You’re kidding.

• Bozo said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Forget Fred Lewis, I’m sipping some Bulleit bourbon right now and was wondering about their Rye whiskey. Have you tried the Rye? As I recall, you were a Bourbon guy, so I was just wondering.

• Bozo said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Sorry, that was meant for snarkk not twin.

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Yep, I’ve tried the Bulleit rye, it is tasty good.
        Don’t know if you like mixed drinks, but the Bulleit rye (2x) together with some Punt e Mes (1x) (it’s a sweet Italian vermouth, but a little dirtier flavor than the usual sweet vermouth) with some Angosturra bitters and/or a twist of orange peel, is kind of like a dirty Manhattan, and is fantastic, even better if you have one of those sweet, dark preserved cherries in it. A different twist on the usual Manhattan made with bourbon and sweet vermouth…

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I think Fred got Snarkk started on Maker’s Mark…

• Bozo said, on February 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Snarkk, I had a couple of the bourbons over an ice cube and because I had the fixings, made an Old Fashion which was mighty tasty with the Bulleit bourbon. I’ve always enjoyed a Sazerac from time to time but for years could only find a Jim Beam rye so looking forward to trying Bulleit’s rye with one. Hey, maybe now that Absinthe is legal I can try it without using Herbsaint.
        Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll give it a try.
        Cheers

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Clown, I’ve never had a Sazerac, sounds interesting, as I looked at the online recipe. Yep, you’ll enjoy the Bullleit rye whisky, just neat, with an ice cube or two, or otherwise. Good stuff. For sippin’ bourbon, hard to beat is Booker’s. A little bit of that will curl your hair, but it’s smooth and amazingly strong at the same time. I’d take that over a good cognac…

• James said, on February 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm

We would have had 3 rings with Fred in the mix!

Definitely worth subbing the absinthe for the Herbsaint in a Sazerac. I always have 2 chilled tumblers ready in the freezer . . . it is my favorite whiskey drink. Another NOLA special I really enjoy is the Vieux Carre

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 20, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Nice story on Pagan over at the Merc site. I wasn’t really sold on him when he first came over but he’s been good all around; on and off the field. Giving back where he lives makes me like the guy even more.

• Nipper said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:46 pm

He’ll always be a GIANT to me!

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2013 at 4:49 pm