A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Who Will Carry the Flag?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 24, 2013

I’m completely ripping off Marty Lurie, this was his topic today and I caught the tail end of it on KNBR. It sounded like he was also discussing *how* the Giants should get the flag out to its rightful post where it shall fly forever…..

But the image of Wilson running the flag through the outfield, up the ladder and to it’s ultimate landing spot was so perfect, I couldn’t imagine the Giants getting away from that angle. Obviously, Bee Wheezy won’t be *running with the flag* on Opening Day vs the Cardinals when our long awaited celebration solidifies into eternal reality…..

So who’s gonna do it? Pablo has got to be a leading contender. I could see them having Zito do it, but he’s pitching that day so that might not be something they want him doing during the pre-game. A KNBR caller suggested Brian Stow or his family (and I would think it would be his son and not Brian, unless they wanted to have his son run the flag along the same route that Wilson took and then hand over the flag *raising* duties to his dad. I dunno, that could get awkward.

I heard another caller suggest it be a relay of Mays/McCovey and Cepeda. Negative, at least for me. The Giants honor their past enough, and I can’t believe that any of those 3 guys would want to have a hand in something they didn’t actually have a hand in winning.

Other players who I would nominate: Hunter Pence, mostly for the maniacal path he would run. Angel Pagan, because I’d look forward to the salute at the end. Buster Posey, but I don’t think he’d ever agree to do it (though he would certainly be deserving). How about a *coaches link* of Gardner/Flannery/Meulens/Kelly/Raggs/Wotus/Bochy? That might look lame, each of them running about 20 feet. They could soft toss the flag along, I guess. 🙂  Matt Cain? He falls into the *Posey* category of being totally deserving but not the kind of guy who would want to do it.

Now ROMO would be a guy who would want to do it. And he’d be perfect. That’s who I’d pick.

How about you?

1. zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

It needs to be someone who looks cool doing it. Romo’s a good pick. But I could also seem them going with Pagan.

2. zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

The first two innings of the Yankee game today took an hour. Even AL Spring Training games are slow-moving.

3. twinfan1 said, on February 24, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I think that it should a home grown guy- so I’m down with Romo. Panda is actually best choice, IMO, but he’d get too much flak.

• Flavor said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm

too much flak? He’d be a fine choice, and all Giants fans would celebrate it.

4. paulinasia said, on February 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Running the flag out there, I think they should do it as a team. All of ’em, together. They win as a team, so carry it out there as a team. Then maybe crazy man Pence climbing up the ladder.

Last thread, MacDog posted something from SI slightly favoring LA to win the West. I haven’t seen the full story, only what Mac posted. I have no problem with the Dogs being favored, because who really cares who’s favored at this point, and if the analysis of *why* they’re favored is sound, then why not? But just from that bit — “Los Angeles has the game’s highest payroll, projected at $213 million. Ten players — including righthander Zack Greinke, who signed for six years and $147 million in December — will make eight figures in 2013″ — was that SI writer actually favoring LA just because of their payroll? If so, that’s amazingly ludicrous.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 24, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I was going to suggest Affeldt but he’d probably trip on a sprinkler and bust his ass or something. It would be cool to see Murph run the WS Champion laundry up the pool but I doubt that happens. Romo should be the guy.

6. Salty said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

7. pawliekokonuts said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Give me Scutaro. I’m not sure why in terms of anything but that heavenly rain dance. Scoots for me.

8. Salty said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I think the MVP’s Posey Pablo Scutaro should take it up.

9. Flavor said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I liked Dirt’s *Murph* call. Maybe Romo runs it out there and Murph strings it up?

10. xoot said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I heard the end of that Marty Lurie show too. Lurie responded to the caller who suggested Bochy and the coaching staff as flag bearers with possibly the best thing I’ve heard Lurie ever say on his show. The Giants, he pointed out, played “perfect baseball” for the final seven games of the post season and won all seven, in a row. They were well prepared. Obviously the manager and coaches were essential to that success.

Simple, unpretentious statement, but very true. Easy to overlook the fact that the great team chemistry never could’ve developed without the masterful way Bochy and his coaches did their work.

Still, the players played the game. Letting Romo do the honors would seem like an echo of the BW flag raising. The team should convince Cain and Posey to handle it. The tone would be fine — with all the other wild ones going crazy while the two stoic superstars raise the championship flag. I think that would work.

11. Alleykat said, on February 24, 2013 at 7:57 pm

If the flag was a confederate flag i would have to go with Eli Whiteside…..oh were talking W/S Championship Flag…Damm i really wished we were playing the Dodgers,cause it should only be fitting that Bryan Stow if possible could hold the flag.That would really be a special moment for so many fans,players,coaches,especially for Tim Flannery,and his work put it for Bryan, with his concerts and benefits he and others helped put together.

12. DJLoo said, on February 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Absolutely the gum chewing blockhead, Bochy.

13. Flavor said, on February 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’m glad it’s the Cardinals. Fuck them. I want them all to watch as we celebrate another world series. That would be enough salt in Holliday’s hypothetical wound for me. And if that’s not enough salt for the rest of you, I’m totally fine with another fastball in his ribs…….

14. Flavor said, on February 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

And XOOT, I like your idea of a Cain/Posey tag-team thing. It wouldn’t be wild, like with Romo or Pence, but they would be the two most deserving flag-raisers.
    I could also see them giving the whole moment to Bochy (as Loo suggests), mostly because he was the rock for the last two, the guy who didn’t miss a single in-game decision, he brought Washington and Leyland to their knees……..

• xoot said, on February 24, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Bochy in the spotlight would be fine with me, too. I began to wonder in 2009, I became a believer in 2010, he kept the team in first place way longer than it seemed possible in 2011, and then he exceeded all of that in 2012. Now, however, I’m so far on the other side of the scale I think he’s a HOFer who doesn’t need this accolade. Still, I agree that he deserves any and all praise he receives.

Sure is fun to be a Giants fan these days, isn’t it?

15. DJLoo said, on February 24, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Alex Smith to my Chiefs???

• willedav said, on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 am

apparently a deal is set….for a wideout or a secondary guy.
      Funny, I recommended the smith apologists should sing his praises on the chiefs blog few weeks ago. Perhaps they all will wear arrowhead hats proudly.
      And reid was on the receiving end of great niners second half comeback led by smith in 2011.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:00 am

It will be great a move for Smith and KC.. How many teams start out the season 2-0?
        If a deal is struck it can’t be completed until the 12th, I believe. Obviously Alex has to go but we should hope they have better plans than Tolzien to back up CK, a high risk injury guy. Scott was only kept over Johnson because he was thought to be the better scout QB. Is Shaun Hill available? Seriously, he’d a good choice.

16. ewisco said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm

i love the murph idea for running it up. how it gets there, more of question. if you go with romo you sort of set it up for future world series that the guy who closes it should get to run it. bad precedent. not that it wouldn’t be great and that he doesn’t deserve it but it would start to lock you in to a certain approach. i think you have to try to go to a team relay with murph doing the hoisting.

to that end, i shall hoist another scotch and sign off. cheers to steve, cheers to mike, cheers to you all. flapper fidelis.

17. Macdog said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:09 pm

How ’bout Vogey? We all know the story: Drafted by the Giants, toiling on the fringes of the game while logging more miles than even Blade on his RTW trip, and gets a ring in his second season back with the Giants. But, he might fall into Flav’s “not the kind of guy who would want to do it” list. Maybe they can get Mrs. Vogey instead.

18. Salty said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Murphy would be cool, but he definitely falls under the category of “not the kind of guy who …”
    I wonder how/why Wilson was chosen? Players vote?

19. Bozo said, on February 25, 2013 at 5:43 am

I love the Murph, Stow and Boch picks. But I’m going outside the team, Tony fucking Bennett (We win, he sings). Put him in a golf cart and take him out to the pole, let StL leave their collective hearts in SF once again.

20. eddacker said, on February 25, 2013 at 6:11 am

woo hoo, just got my first “knowing dude nod” from my Giants hat here in Nottingham. Long time coming, but MAN that felt good. He looked like a gang banger coming up the sidewalk towards me. Then he glances at the SF on my lid, half smiles and nods.
    as he walks by he is wearing a white sox hat!!

• Bozo said, on February 25, 2013 at 6:32 am

ed, have you checked out MLB.com for their tv thing? It’s about a hundred bucks a year and you can watch games live or go back and watch them later (all the way to 2009), either full games or just highlights. For me it’s been money well spent.

• eddacker said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:41 am

had it last year n loved it

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2013 at 7:01 am

What happened to the AZ move? On or off?

• eddacker said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:40 am

off for now my mom suddenly moved back 2 ca w/sis

21. chipower9 said, on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 am

Damn – that video made me cry like a baby. Thanks for sharing, Salt…brought back some great memories from that day. I sat in lower box, I think Section 129 that day. My friend Demp28 and his wife sat in the Arcade, and were right there near the flag pole. That is where I will be come this opening day. I’l try to get some great video of the event.

Anyway…I could see any of those mentioned being the one, and would have no problem with any of them for the myriad of reasons stated. Regardless of how/who…it is going to be one emotional moment!

22. twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 7:52 am

“too much flak? He’d be a fine choice, and all Giants fans would celebrate it.”
    LOL…
    The “fat fuck” “jokes” would be flyin’..

23. twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:19 am

Other good choices that have been mentioned are Murph, Bennett (inspired!)…Best of all might be a relay with all the Ball Dudes.

• willedav said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:30 am

relay of the ball dudes, lol. maybe by ambulance so the ceremony doesn’t take an hour.
      Seriously, those old guys have to go. They absolutely do not have the reaction or hand/eye co-ordination to be on the field and close to the action. They are not funny or cute–they are a catastrophe waiting to happen. Old people falling down is not funny and not healthy either.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:39 am

The dudes have been great. I think there have been folks expecting this catasatrophe for years.The codgers like it, fans like it… the relay race was not serious, though. Spare me the suggestion that I think old folks falling down is funny, W.

• willedav said, on February 25, 2013 at 9:02 am

mike i just don’t see how they could defend themselves on a ball hit hard in their direction, even if it was on a hop or took a bad bounce. I just don’t get any enjoyment from watching them flounder around or amble slowly after a loose ball on the ground. i find it kind of pathetic, and I feel for their safety.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 9:16 am

I appreciate your concern for old folks. They started trhe program more than 20 years ago, I believe. No serious injuries that I’ve heard of. And they do attend a camp where they are checked out.
        I think the main objection is really from old farts who want ball bimbos.

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:29 am

I guess they could ask Beltran to do it. That would be good for a laugh.

25. willedav said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:45 am

for many years I worked with a die hard raiders fan who lived in the middle of east san jose off story road, drank bud by the case, wore all black, half hispanic/ half american indian and drove an old MonteCarlo (like the regal and the cutlass, I used to call these the national car of san jose). Hilarious guy, who used to start talking them up for super bowl in july. None of the rest of us in whse. liked them, so we all gave him a steady ration, esp when they lost.
    When Marty Schott was at KC he used to beat the raiders like a drum, and I used to draw arrowhead logos with KC on them on our notice board all the time. when the guy used to come back from delivery route and I’d see him, I would raise both arms in the air, “pass to andre rison, touchdown Chiefs.”

26. willedav said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:54 am

I remember hearing Gruden talk about how when he first joined Raiders he couldn’t get over how much the players talked about beating their rivals in AFC West. Every team in that division hates the Raiders with a passion, and their fans have for about 50 years. If Alex Smith goes to KC and beats the raiders he will absolutely own that town.

27. Alleykat said, on February 25, 2013 at 9:41 am

Get Melky and Melkmaids to carry the flag halfway like his season.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:38 am

Melky played in more than 2/3 of the season..

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:53 am

Then he goes 2/3 of the way, Einstein. Is this in the right place?

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

Good boy.

28. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

The only people giving Pablo shit about rasing the flag would be his teammates. Nice of you to pre-empt the shit he wouldn’t have gotten anyway, Twin.

I immediately thought ‘Romo’ but yeah, closers 2x in a row? Nahh.

Cain to Posey to Pagan to honor the perfecto?

Works for me . . .

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:19 am

Sez the “Fat Fuck” pioneer himself..you’d be the first.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:23 am

The idea that Panda woudn’t get shit about his weight were he the flag carrier is beyond ludicrous.

• xoot said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

If he showed up for opening day as fat as he is now, the super-slo-mo video of his gut bouncing as he ran 400 feet to the wall would go viral. If he got winded, the vid would finish with him gasping for air, over and over and over.

On the other hand, he may come back from WBC in much better shape. He has responded to discipline before. In that event, the fat jokers might find themselves the butts, and the WS MVP would enjoy a well deserved honor. I wouldn’t mind seeing that scene.

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:24 am

Besides, I never called Panda a fat fuck. You have me mistaken for some other heathen on this site.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

That’s a lie – you deleted it after you said it.

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Bullshit.

• chipower9 said, on February 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm

They could have an oxygen tank/mask waiting for Pablo at the flag pole…

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

Why would it be Pagan, not Blanco, if it’s the perfecto being honored? That makes no sense. And try to reply under my comment in the future.

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

How about you blow it out your ass, Mike? Your double-standard for applying shit to certain Giant players and not to others is what is ludicrous, by the way. Yeah, I meant Blanco. OMG. Forgive me, you twit.

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

STFU. You have no idea what you are talking about.
        And typical- you make a stupid idiotic dumb mistake and give shit to the guy pointing it out.

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

PS, you must be feeling a little better since yer assholery is returning. . . Good to know.

• unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

If it was anyone else, I wouldn’t care. Since it was you, well, in the words of the 2013 Oscar winning best picture, Argo-fuck yourself. Ha!

• twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

I thought I heard you there. You were the only one laughing about John Wilkes Booth getting into Lincoln’s head..

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2013 at 10:44 am

Since ballplayers tend to be superstitious they may look at what has happened with Wilson since he raised the flag and take a pass. Can’t have this flalg raising business become perceived as the kiss of death.

30. twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

I don’t know about Romo, here’s a ball dude hitting the hangin’ frisbee that would have sent the Reds to the NLCS if a fat fuck would have had a whack at it…

dd

31. twinfan1 said, on February 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Well, I’m out. No speakie. Not good for anybody but Merna.

32. Chico said, on February 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Romo is a great choice. Buster is another great choice though I don’t think he likes being in the spotlight.. He’s a damn good ballplayer, he better get used to being in the spotlight!

33. Bozo said, on February 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Maybe because it was the first flag raised for the Giants in SF but what a wonderful day that Opener was in 2011. I know some folks here don’t really like the hoopla surrounding a Home opener, I always enjoyed them (for me it was always like a holiday, before getting down to the business of the year). I gotta tell y’all, if any of you get a chance to go see them raise the flag this year, I’d strongly recommend it. There have only been a few times in my life where I was laughing and crying like a baby at the same time, when they raised the flag, that was one of them. I’ll never forget it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 25, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I fully understand, even though I was not there. I do understand.

34. Nipper said, on February 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

It’s nice Chuck and Twin are enjoying themselves. Friendship is beautiful.