A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Chi Posing With Both of Them

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 28, 2013

I saw this on facebook a little while ago, didn’t ask him if I could upload it here, I hope he’s cool with that. He’s on the left and I’m pretty sure that’s his daughter in the middle. Not sure who the other 2 people are. Excellent photo Chipower!

Chitwotrophies

1. zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm

The Giants have been bringing home the hardware! To the victor goes the spoils!
    It’s cool the Giants have been taking the trophies around. Do other teams do this when they win the World Series? I’ve heard of hockey teams taking the Stanley Cup around. I don’t remember the 49ers taking any of their trophies around, but maybe I’m not remembering correctly on that.

2. twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Chi : nice looking family.
    Back to Vungo: as Flavor said, he has/had value for his defense and speed alone… if he can utilize them.But if he can get his legs back, forget about a platoon, he’d be the man.

• Flavor said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I just think that both of them would be better in a shared platoon. Regular days off might save his body a little and Blanco shouldn’t start for a full season full time.
      Oblique injuries can be tricky but this one doesn’t sound too bad. I’m still expecting him to be on the opening day roster.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Well, I hope that he’s there. But I don’t rule Andres and Gregor being the 4/5 before long.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:45 pm

But you’re probably about the platoon being best for both. Sometimes it’s forgotten that Torres was even better in 2009 than he was in 2010.

3. salty said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Dude on the right looks like a former pitcher to me.

4. zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Kevin Johnson is unveiling a bunch of news that would keep the Kings in Sac. It’s very exciting news for Sac-town if it’s all true.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:56 pm

He’s sure worked hard on it.

5. twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Chi seems to get in a lot of photos. I think I saw him at the Oscars, the inauguration…

6. SanDawg said, on February 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Cheers Flappers! Long time, no blog.

Just grilled up a pounded-out chicken breast, melted a little mozzarella on top and then slathered it with green salsa and finished it with a dollop of sour cream. Washed it down with a Budweiser. Damn, that was good.

Kings staying in Sac might actually happen? I love it.

Great pic. Is it me, or does Chi kinda look like Bill Belichick?

• DJLoo said, on February 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

What time will you be vomiting?

7. zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Mayor Kevin Johnson’s State of the City
    By Tony Bizjak

After weeks of backroom talks, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson tonight announced that 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov has agreed to make a bid to buy the Sacramento Kings to keep them from moving this year to Seattle.

The mayor, during his State of the City address at Memorial Auditorium tonight, also announced grocery billionaire Ron Burkle and the owners of the Downtown Plaza have agreed to team with the city to build a downtown arena.

The mayor sweetened his offer, to be delivered to the NBA tomorrow, saying the new group has agreed to bring back the Sacramento Monarchs women’s professional basketball team.

In addition, the mayor said former Kings star player Mitch Richmond would join about 20 other investors from Sacramento, each pitching in $1 million to buy a 7 percent stake in the Kings that is being auctioned in bankruptcy court.

In an often impassioned, sometimes theatrical speech before an estimated 3,000 people, many of them Kings fans, the mayor vowed Sacramento will not let Seattle take the Kings. The speech took on the atmosphere of a pep rally, with many in the crowd standing and cheering when Johnson took off his jacket to display his purple shirt and tie, and then announced Mastrov’s name.

“Many across the country have counted us out. And I know we are still very much in this game,” he said. “I hope Seattle gets a team someday. Let me be perfectly crystal clear, it is not going to be this team. Not our team. no way.”

The mayor also announced that Sacramento businesses have committed $50 million in sponsorships for the Kings over the next five years. “Don’t tell me we don’t have a strong corporate community,” he said.

While he said the Mastrov’s bid would be competitive, Johnson did not provide details of how much the founder of 24 Hour Fitness is offering for the Kings. The Seattle group’s bid for the Maloof family’s 65 percent share is estimated to be $341 million. Johnson said he will fly to New York in April to pitch Sacramento to the NBA team owners group.

“As a city we have done everything the NBA has ever asked of us,” he said.

8. DJLoo said, on February 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Only one trophy made it to Finnerty’s. Maybe the other one was afraid to fly.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Au contraire. Both trophies were there, the 2010 before you got there. I’ll email you a screenshot of me blurry in the background near the 2012 Tiffany special edition hardware of triumph. It was by 14th Street. Sort of like the San Gennaro Feast. I guess. i’ve never been, but I’ve seen “Mean Streets” about 7-8 times.

9. DJLoo said, on February 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’m not sure if Chi looks more like a US Senator or a bus driver.

10. DJLoo said, on February 28, 2013 at 8:07 pm

There is no good reason to believe that our 2010 heroes, Huff, Uribe and Torres are not done, done, and done.

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Huff’s well done like a ranch steak. The other two, we’ll see. I haven’t heard anything about Uribe, but I haven’t had occasion to look. He’s definitely going to be collecting some big Dodger checks. Giants fans won’t forget his contributions in 2010…

• SanDawg said, on February 28, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Is somebody arguing otherwise? If I had to set an over/under for the total number of regular season hits those 3 combine for from this point forward, I’d go with……….46.

The Kings news is encouraging. PS I like the Thomas Robinson for Pat Patterson trade.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Given Sabean’s track record of late, there was no reason to think Torres was done. The injury may or not become a factor. But in terms of getting on base last year from the lead off spot, he, Blanco, and Pagan were pretty close ( .331 Vungo, .338 Pagan, .340 Blanco. ) If Blanco and Torres did platoon, they’d probably be better off moving Pagan to the two and Scooter to the 7.They won’t because even Bochy doesn’t grasp the 2 spot..
        And yeah, Craig also seemed to think Torres would help. Not to mention the GM. Huff and Uribe are a different matter entirely..

11. pawliekokonuts said, on February 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Chi Power: OneBigHappyFamily.

12. Alleykat said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Lookin good Chi !!!!! Daughter rockin a great shirt as well.
    Winning W/S Championships always puts a smile on Giant Diehard fans…

13. TedSpe said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Nice photo. The joy on the 4 faces cannot be acted or faked.
    Well, maybe Brando or Streep but still…

14. Alleykat said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Ive heard Juan Uribe is getting a look as a backup 1B,behind A Goz thid spring.To Donny M’s credit,he still believes he can contribute.He played very little down the stretch last year,but never sulked and was.a good teammate.
    Hoping for the best for “Jazz Hands”.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Juan is hitting .199 in two years as a Dodger. 6 HRs. His OPS is .552. It’s to Two-Trip’s *credit* that he thinks he can contribute? I wish Juan well, also, but they’re just praying that farmer refiles.. Magic would fly him back to the DR…on his back.

• xoot said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I saw a report that the bums are thinking about working Uribe into the backup 1B role.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm

It’s that or selling popcorn.

15. zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:28 pm

A Thomas Neal sighting in the Yankees/Bluejays game. I’ve totally forgotten who the Giants traded him for. The broadcasters noted that Neal has played on five minor league championship teams. But…..that ain’t what a player really wants to do: play on five minor league champions.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm

The Yankees are so fucked for OFers, he may actually make the team.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm

It’s so bad they’re thinking trading for Casper Wells 😉

• zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I hope it works out for Neal. I always have a special place in my heart for players i saw in Single A. The player he kind of reminded me of was Jimmy Wynn.

• twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Thomas had a pretty good year in AA last year but the Indians released him a few weeks ago. But, hey, we got my 14th favorite Cabrera for him- Orlando.

16. xoot said, on February 28, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Terrific bunch of Giants fans with the trophies. Great pic.

As to ST, the injuries so far aren’t very clear. How bad is the oblique? Is Mijares’ elbow shattered, or just sore? No way know now.

In the meantime, for nonbaseball reasons, I just happened across this vid again. Those of you who spend time at the track, have you seen this?

17. twinfan1 said, on February 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm

From Haft:
    “An injured oblique has sidelined Giants outfielder Andres Torres for a week and will prevent him from participating for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic.
    Manager Bruce Bochy added Thursday that left-hander Jose Mijares’ playing status for Venezuela in the Classic is “doubtful” after reporting a tender throwing elbow, which the Giants officially called a posterior impingement.”
    “Posterior impingement?”
    Is that a bug up his ass? No?

• zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Well, keeping with that thought, the MLB teams won’t say it, but the Classic is a big pain in the rear to them. Our nation, as a whole, couldn’t care less about how the U.S. team does in it, and the MLB teams are afraid of injuries and just disruption to routine in general.
      U.S baseball fans are mixed in their interest in it. To me, it’s baseball on TV, and that’s a cool thing. But if the Classic disappeared I wouldn’t miss it.

18. zumiee said, on February 28, 2013 at 11:16 pm

This is a pretty long article, but fun to read. It’s about watching baseball with Bill Murray, and sort of also about what it’s like to be Bill Murray.

• Bozo said, on March 1, 2013 at 6:26 am

Thank you, Zum. What a great read to start the day. You can’t go wrong with things like Bill refusing beers from people at the Cubs game because. “You can’t get too relaxed in a military situation,” or his theory about the National League East that year was going to be won by the team that eats the most protein “That bodes well for the Mets,” he says, “because in New York, they eat their own, whereas in Pittsburgh they eat pure anthracite.”

The fact that the article was written in 1990 and when they were out to eat with Mark Grace and a few Cubs, on the TVs was a Giants Cardinals game. “Every time Will Clark came up, Mark Grace watched very intently.” After 1989, I imagine most of the Cubs hated Will.

Thanks again Zumiee. I loved it, “The English are the hushpuppy brigade continuing to trample the world in disgrace.”

• eddacker said, on March 1, 2013 at 6:45 am

you are my man Z; excellent article, classic and classy.
      cheers

19. snarkk said, on February 28, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Mijares may actually have floating chips in the ‘bow, could be the reason for the “impingement”. They should know Friday after the medicos peruse the MRI. I’m no medico, but if he’s got chips causing “impingement”, meaning he can’t bend the damn thing, that sounds like surgery time for a clean out. The guy on the right of the trophy pic kinda sorta looks a little like Tony Dungy with a baseball cap. Belt had a single and a dinger to CF today. Good to hear about a little power show for Belt. I’d like to see him get at least 4 or 5 in ST…

• Alleykat said, on March 1, 2013 at 7:45 am

Great call on the Tony Dungy guy Snarkk.Totally see that.Yeah i try to match faces all the time.Then pop em up with my buddies on my phone while the guy or gal is still there,at this bar i hangout out some,i have a match for Paul Giammitti,Burl Ives,Sela Ward,Bruce McGill(Animal House) Helen Hunt,Seabass Jano Raiders,etc etc etc
      Giamatti guy is my total Grandslam as my buddies and I even rate matches single,double,triple HR,or the grand salami for the ultimate match.
      This Giamatti dude has the same square black glasses,goatee,close in age ,thinning hair,total match in his movie Sideways.

• snarkk said, on March 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I like Giamatti, very good actor, not to mention the connection to baseball with his dad.
        Sideways is one of my all time fav movies, for the wine, and the buddy buddy aspects. Also, the golf course scene reminds me of one I had myself years ago…

20. blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I just saw this pic on his facebook page . . . Yep, that’s his daughter (I met her at a game). Great people!