A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

When I’m Happy a Player isn’t Playing

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 20, 2013

I read about Hanley Ramirez’ thumb injury, then watched it at mlb.com. And I loved the letter’s *M/R/I* as part of the story. I couldn’t be happier to see HanRam and the Dodgers in this situation. Throw Grienke’s balky elbow in there and you’ve got the makings for some tough times down in LaLa.

And no, I’m never happy someone gets hurt-ok, I wouldn’t mind it if someone broke some body parts on Jerry Sandusky. And I do remember a smile tracing across my face when I heard that Jeff Dahmer had been killed in jail. So I guess there are times when someone else’s pain makes me happy.

But not in baseball. If HanRam miss any games I’ll be happy because he isn’t playing, not because he got hurt. It would make the Dodgers a little worse and any lesser Dodger team is all good  by me. That 1/4 century of World Series win free baseball is also something I enjoy.

Don’t believe in karma or any of that jazz. Just happy to see HanRam dust himself off the ground shaking that hand nervously. Loved it, actually…..

1. twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 8:44 am

Another way to tell why baseball players rarely go on to become world famous restaurant critics: Brandon Belt rates Olive Garden as one of his two top restaurants…
    Baseball players are also known throughout the industry as the worst tippers among pro athletes. Basketball players are the best tippers, BTW. Not sure why that would be. Probably because they’re just cooler people, as a rule.
    In an ESPN poll before the 2012 election, 81.8 percent of MLB players favored Romney, 4.6 percent favored Obama. It didn’t say how many think Obama was born in Kenya, is the Devil, and strangles kittens..by contrast, a whopping 38.5 percent of NBAers supported Obama. What does it all mean- don’t eat with baseball players unless you want the busboys following you into the parking lot…
    As far the topic du jour- I want every Dodger playing all year at full strength.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:42 am

I’ve read and heard on multiple occasions that Michael Jordan is a horrendously cheap tipper…

• twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Well then, I hope he trips leaving the restaurant..

2. chipower9 said, on March 20, 2013 at 8:52 am

Never wished injury on anyone…and I follow Michael’s logic…let the Bums be full-strengh all year (and hopefully our boys in the Orange and Black), and let’s see who truly has the better “team.”

Today begins the last week of ST ball in AZ (Giants break camp after playing the D-Backs next Wednesday).

I am ready for the regular season.

Back to yesterday’s thread. Snarkk (I believe) had mentioned Pablo’s bone spur in the elbow, and it sounded as if the Giants trainers were saying it was something with which he has been dealing over the past couple of years. I (like Snarkk) do not recall this being an injury Pablo has (at least publicly) dealt with in the past. Any different recollections?

3. Alleykat said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:06 am

Yeah I don’t want an injury to a player.Bums I could take an exception.Though I prefer them at full strength when we kick their asses and win another division. there won’t be be any whining in Dodgerville.

4. chipower9 said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:19 am

Exactly Michael and Kat…that is why I want them full-strenght…I don’t want any of my Dodger fan friends to have an out “well, so and so was hurt…that’s why you guys beat us, etc.” Screw that…I want the Giants to kick their asses when they are healthy.

Regarding health:

Abreu still is not ready to play. From a recent piece by Baggs: “Still nothing on Tony Abreu, whose knee has limited him to one game all spring. It’ll be at least a few more days till he might ramp up to getting in another exhibition.

Abreu is out of minor league options, but the Giants can always put him on the disabled list and then send him on a minor league rehab assignment. They’d like to figure out what they have, and Abreu hasn’t been able to show them anything yet.”

The final IF spot is still really muddled. I have no idea which way they will go, here. Would love to have Theriot back…and that topic has been kicked-around a lot on recent threads. I wasn’t really impressed with any of the guys I saw in Scottsdale (Tanaka, etc.).

Mijares has been throwing off the mound and is due to face hitters today.

Will be interesting to see how that final OF spot plays out. Torres has come around past week or two after a slow start in ST. Blanco is starting to put some sting on the ball (he had a couple of really nice plays in the field while I was in AZ – as did Torres).

5. blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:20 am

HanRam is on my shit list, along with Carlos Beltran. I had Ramirez on my FL team all year and if I could have traded him to some dumbass FL team, as Miami did with the imbeciles running the Dodgers, I would have been grateful. He is what I call an “on paper” player. Frickin’ ink that says his shit doesn’t stink eventually turns invisble.

Same deal with Beltran. As many of you know (that played in the Flap league), I traded for his sorry ass and he decided to take a mental and physical hiatus in the 2nd half last year. Cry baby Dennis even made a protest with regard to this trade . . . All for naught, since Beltran went into “golf mentality” mode after the all star break. In my book, he is even more worthless than HanRam.

That being said, I am with Twin and Chi regarding the Dodgers being at full strength. I don’t want Magic, Jack Nicholson, George Clooney, or any of those other Hollywood dick lickers thinking the Giants didn’t earn it when we kick their ass. In fact, I have said on numerous occasions that I want the Giants to begin their Revenge tour with either a World Series date with the Yankees, Angels, or A’s. These are all teams that have beat the SF Giants in World Series play. I hope at least one of them can BRING IT and meet the GMen in the World Series.

• twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:26 am

“Steven J. Melikean”? May I continue to call you the ” Steverino” 😉
      Sincerely, G.Michael Scott

• blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:32 am

Twin, hard to explain without taking up a couple of paragraphs – but I hate ARM and Android OS. I have no idea why they are eating Microsoft and Intel’s lunch, because both are worthless in my opinion.

• twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:42 am

There is increasing evidence that the Android O/S is sending signals to the Klingons…

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

@Blade said: “I don’t want Magic, Jack Nicholson, George Clooney, or any of those other Hollywood dick lickers thinking the Giants didn’t earn it when we kick their ass.”

That is some classic shit…yeah, you said it A LOT better than me, my man! LMAO…

6. twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:21 am

Groeschner also said that lots of players have bone spurs. I don’t see any “right to know” issue here.

7. snarkk said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:47 am

There will always be somebody(ies) hurt on an MLB team during the course of a season. The Giants won’t escape it, neither will LA. Just a matter of degree among the teams. Some get hit worse with the injury bug than others, depending on age of the squad and the luck of the draw. I think the Giants are particularly vulnerable if they get hit (i) in the starters, (ii) with Belt, or (iii) Posey. There aren’t any good options at backup for any of those. As for LA, bring ’em on, hurt or not…

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

My guess is Gaudin will be the long relief/designated backup starter guy. But, since he’ll have limited chances to stretch himself unless/until some starter actually would get hurt, I don’t know if that would actually work well compared to a AAA guy who has been flingin it as a starter consistently. Petit got hammered his last time out, but he would be the logical next choice from AAA, I suppose…

• blade3colorado said, on March 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

Personally, I think the Giants have escaped significant injury in their rotation the last few years. Also, our bullpen has been quite fortunate, with the exception of Wilson. It’s probably anecdotal, but it seems like the other MLB teams get hit particularly hard in their rotations compared to us.

• Irish Kevin said, on March 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

hmmm…that closer by committee just might be something?? But seriously, among the starters, the Gmen have been extremely lucky. even when they have been hit by a ball hit up the middle the damage has been minimal. It must be all those Irish bars around the ball park. ;0)

8. salty said, on March 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

Figure just about every team is vulnerable if they lose a key starting pitcher. Most teams are pretty threadbare there, with a couple of decent arms, maybe a promising rook and a couple of Tomko’s.

9. Bozo said, on March 20, 2013 at 11:51 am

I don’t wish any player ill will, Matt Holliday might be the exception, but if the only Dodger to stay healthy was Uribe it wouldn’t bother me in the least. If a Dodger fan talked some shit about it, I’d just say – You should’ve won it when Posey went down.

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I like that slant (should’ve won it when Posey went down) John.

10. Chico said, on March 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I don’t like to see players get injured but It doesn’t bother me that much when it’s a Dodger as long as it’s not something serious or career threatening.. One thing that I have observed by reading different Dodger blogs is that a lot of Dodger fans DO wish injury for certain Giants players.. If one decent Dodger fan does call out that person for wishing an injury happened, he then gets flamed by other Dodger fans on a scale of about 4 – 1.. They have a lot of asshole fans and I can’t say the same thing about a fan base like the Cardinals, or our fans.

11. zumiee said, on March 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm

The reality is- injuries to other teams help your team win. For example, the reason Brooks Conrad was playing secondbase in that famous playoff game against the Giants is because the starting secondbaseman was out with injury. And Chipper Jones was injured, too.

12. twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’ve done some checking and my sources say that wishing minor but incredibly annoying “owies” on another person might not be strictly kosher but can be justified if that person lives somehere south of Santa Barbara, north of Anaheim, boredered on the west by the Pacific Ocean and the east by East Los Angeles. Breaks, tears, wounds requiring hospital stays, and other injuries outlined in the forthcoming pamphlet are excepted from allowable wishes of harm. An example of an allowable wish would be that Kershaw bang his shin on that stupidly placed coffee table everytime he gets up for a beer.
    So while I’m at at it, whoever wished that I contstantly bang my head on the stupidly hung chandlelier in my kitchen, can just knock it off right now..

• chipower9 said, on March 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm

LMAO…

How’s that chandelier?

• twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Better than my head. Honest to goodness, the first thing I did when I came home from my last surgery was whack my head on that thing. Where upon I informed the nice lady who had been staying with Merna that the idea was to position the table BENEATH the chandelier. I said that, of course, in a calm and reasonable manner… well, I wish I had..

13. Flavor said, on March 20, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Way too PC responses from you guys tiday. So if Hanny Eye Goggles misses 2 months you guys would be bummed that he’s out and Dee Gordon takes over? Come on, you’d all be pleased with a devopment like that.
    I’m not fearing a healthy Dodgers team (yet) but I’d be totally fine facing Capuano pitching in place of a sore armed Grienke.

• Bozo said, on March 20, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I guess I wasn’t clear on my feeling for injuries to the Dodgers. Everyone but Uribe could have an accident with a wood chipper for all I care. I never want to see Juan get hurt, if he under performs while with LA? I’m OK with that.

• salty said, on March 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I see where you’re coming from Flavor and given how they have tried to buy themselves a championship, it would feel right if it all blew up on them.
      But head to head, I honestly would rather face their best. Lived for the Koufax Perry Drysdale Marichal match ups, not Sutton Herbal. Now I want to see Kershaw Cain or Bum Greinke go toe to toe.
      And heck, what would be more satisfying, beating a smug Greinke or beating Capuano?

14. salty said, on March 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm

The talks are underway….Do the G’s give Posey a Votto type deal now?

15. zumiee said, on March 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Vogey’s in fine form. Zito looked good last night. 7 strikeouts. One of Zito’s fastballs hit 89 according to the Mariner broadcast. That seems high, but who knows.

Today’s game:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — San Francisco’s Ryan Vogelsong and Milwaukee’s Chris Narveson shared flawlessness for a significant portion of Wednesday afternoon as the Giants and Brewers played to a 0-0 tie in 10 innings at Scottsdale Stadium.

The Giants loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 10th against Josh Stinson before Francisco Peguero grounded to shortstop Yadiel Rivera, who started a double play by firing home to catcher Anderson De La Rosa, who completed it by throwing to first. After Cole Gillespie walked to reload the bags, Juan Ciriaco struck out to end the game.

• Flavor said, on March 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I want Zito throwing slower, not harder. He embraced himself last year, he accepted who he was and he pitched like it. Lose some MPH’s, pitch differently. he spent his entire Giants career trying to re-capture his best fastball and he got killed trying to do it.
      Then he started throwing the cutter all day long and he won 15 games.
      Good for him.

• twinfan1 said, on March 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm

He didn’t pitch any better than when he won 10..

16. eddacker said, on March 20, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Like watching Lasorda fall over on the field during his days, Hanley has 2 strikes against him (doger and asshole) and I get a laugh out of pay-backs like these. And I do believe in karma. I will think “ouch, what a bummer” during my mirth with a quick “that’ll teach him not to tip”

Got another ST game on UK tv today, same as yesterday, NY v Boston. No SF games until opening day v the dogers. wtg programmers @ espn