A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Ryan The Riot is a Fascinating Guy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 21, 2013

I read a blog post by Schulman at the Chron, something I rarely do. But this was a very interesting piece on Theriot about his decision to possibly retire if he doesn’t get a starting gig. He’s prepared to transition into a traditional life of living at home and raising his 3 kids with his wife.

Sounds fine on the surface, why wouldn’t a father want to do that? But then I checked on what Theriot has made in his career. I was prepared to see 20 million, something in that range. I was WAY off, I’d obviously misjudged how long he’s been able to take advantage of the free agent years. He’s made $8,468,000 in his career. That sounds like a nice chuck of change. Of COURSE he should be able to make ends meet on that, right? But if he’s paying his agent 20% and then he’s getting taxed on half of what’s left, we aren’t talking about money that can set up generations of a family. Especially considering he probably didn’t save or invest wisely in his early years since few young people do so. He’s got 3 kids and a wife, he’s 33 years old. It’s very likely that he’ll need another job to support his family’s lifestyle in both the short and long term.

I’m no longer wondering why he didn’t re-sign with us as a back up. He’s turned down what was likely a 1 million dollar+ contract to be a utility player to stay at home and raise his kids with his wife. How many people do you know, who aren’t set financially, that would do that?

1. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:47 am

I agree that the money isn’t that much when you consider the commission to the agent and taxes, but he probably isn’t hurting, either. His situation (while he was not a star or regular starter making big coin) is certainly different than that of the common working person.

Regardless of his financial situation, I do find it admirable that he would choose that road. But then again, at the end of the day (for me anyhoo), family trumps all.

I heard an interview with Bochy, and Theriot was brought up in the discussion. He said that early in ST he had sent a couple of texts to Theriot, but never got anything back. Bochy did mention that Crawford had exchanged some texts with the Riot, and that he had told Crawford that sans a starting position, he was considering becoming an agent. Rumor? Who knows.

I have said numerous times (as many here have) that I would love to have Theriot back. Regardless of how it all plays out, I will never forget the Riot’s contributions last year. Remember when Sandoval was hurt, he had some significant playing time (started almost every game in June and July), and those were his most productive months from the plate (team went 17-10 in June). Include his clutch contributions in the post-season, and he will always hold a place in my heart. Good luck to Ryan wherever life leads him, but I would sure love to have him back for 2013.

2. Bozo said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:26 am

I’m surprised he hasn’t signed with the Cards. He can still play SS and Furcal is out for the year.

3. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:47 am

One thing to keep in mind when discussing Theriot-they do want a utility infielder with some versatilty defensively- and that’s not Ryan Theriot. He once was a respectable SS and decent second baseman, now he’s a liability at either posistion and he can’t play third. He’s looking attractive because the current candidates have been so underwhelming, and I’ll confess to casting an envious eye in his direction myself. Ronny Cedeno may be a guy they’re looking at and if they have forego defense, Bond may be back in the picture.

• xoot said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

I think the union and mlb cap the %, perhaps at 10. Can’t rep a player unless you’re approved and registered by the union/mlb. don’t recall the details. Hate it when work interferes with baseball research.

4. DJLoo said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:48 am

Who pays they’re agent 35%???

• DJLoo said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:49 am

“their” (I did complete 7th grade)

• Alleykat said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:53 am

A player that needs a job again,and a new agent.

• Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:57 am

I’ve heard 10%-30/35% depending on who’s representing you. For the purposes of the thread, I went with the high estimate.

5. Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:58 am

my understanding with Bond is that he’s basically just a 2nd baseman.
    Cedeno would be fine until Pablo comes back and Arias can slide over to SS.
    Hell, they’ve waited this long on Abreu, wait another week and just give him the job. He’s a pretty known, though underwhelming, commodity.

6. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

Some props:
    Willie’s coaching comments
    Kat for always speaking his mind
    Zumie for his book reviews and insight on minor league play
    Snarkk for having his very own take on almost everything
    Chi for being Chi
    Ted for his wacky wild lovely posts
    Edd-see Ted. And to both for many years of enjoyment reading that cool stuff.
    Salty for for adding some more balance to the blog
    Loo for not trading Buster for Treanor and for being a funny and generous guy
    Blade for a great blog and capacity for understanding
    Pawlie and Paul for being the best commenters here, bar none. Special thanks for the prayer ring, Pawlie
    James for trying to set us straight no matter how hard we fight the truth
    Bozo for just persevering and surviving what would break most men
    Chico for years of great and cordial commentary
    Ferret learning to make meatloaf and being the woman we’d all love to make our virtual wife
    Xoot for always compelling thought
    Kevin for being friendly and always reasonable
    Mac for being the quietest smart guy around
    Ewisco for being a voice of reason and being one hot dude 😉
    Dirt for being upfront
    Chuck for being a fine dancer. Oh, and for his always distinctive take.
    Craig for keeping this pop show afloat and sending the paramedics to trample my daffodils ;- )

I know I’ve missed some folks, sorry. If I have and you happen to say something of interest, I’ll be sure to note it 😉

Lots of those winking faces, but I do appreciate what everybody brings to the blog,

• Irish Kevin said, on March 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

And you Mike are one insightful dude!! You always bring a wealth of info and humor to go along with it.

• Alleykat said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thank you Michael…Yeah I do lay it on the line,right or wrong like most.But there is nothing like the Flap among all baseball sites it’s #1.Great job BF !!!!

• blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:42 am

Cool post Mike. Quite thoughtful . . .

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 22, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I had missed this before. Very cool. Thanks. I like it.

7. Irish Kevin said, on March 21, 2013 at 8:43 am

well, granted when you are young you tend to spend more money(waste). With that said, there are some pretty savy atheletes. So if he did hire himself a financial advisor he could very well be doing just fine.

8. salty said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

That’s what we Libra’s are known for. Thanks for the props!

9. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thanks, Michael. I have learned a lot about baseball from you, and for that I am thankful. That is true for others here, too. This is one fine little community…thanks to everyone for making it THE BEST place to discuss our passion (or, at least one of them)….San Francisco Giants baseball!

10. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:29 am

I don’t mean to suggest that my approval is worth a hill of beans ,I just woke up with the thought that appreciating what you all bring to the blog wouldn’t be a bad way to start the day. Better than oatmeal and prunes.

11. Bozo said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

Jeffrey Loria really does love the fans in Miami, no really he does, really.

12. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:49 am

First interview by Theriot with a Bay Area writer…kind of what we have all been hearing…I won’t be holding my breath for that Theriot signing. Thanks for all you did last year, Riot!

By the way…I like him even more after reading this article.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:49 am

I thought the Schulman article on Theriot was good. Not too much revelaed but Theriot is quoted at the end as saying he has been prepared to leave the game from day one or something along those lines so maybe he’s been keeping an eye on his money and is set up. If he’s living in Louisiana he’s probably free and clear on his property so maybe he doesn’t have too much to worry about. I was surprised to see he is getting some new batteries for his fish finder as he sort of struck me as one of those bare handed fishing types.

14. blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:56 am

This is my take on Theriot based upon personal experience . . . Almost everyone in my sphere of life thought I was crazy to retire early at 51. Today, I still get asked when I am returning to work? Here is the secret and IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY:

Find something that you love to do and do it. If that involves another occupation, then do it. If it involves an avocation such as volunteering, then do it. If it involves travel, then do it. If it involves following your favorite baseball team, then do it. In short, whatever brings you joy – DO IT.

Oh, in answer to that question I keep getting asked about when I will return to work? My stock reply is, “I have no time for work. Where would I fit it in between everything I am doing?” Consequently, I totally get Ryan .. . . if being an agent brings him joy, he should do it. Being a second stringer apparently is giving him little or no joy.

15. blade3colorado said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

New post on my blog. Everything you ever wanted to know about Pashmina goat wool. Seriously. 🙂

16. Macdog said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

As Twin mentioned, Theriot’s stature grows more and more given the less-than-stellar showing so far by this year’s backup candidates. To me the biggest mystery is Tanaka. From the reports I’ve read it seems like he couldn’t hit the desert if that was his target. Yesterday Baggs tweeted, “It’s the full Knoblauch for Kensuke Tanaka. He just had to make the most routine 40-foot throw and it almost went in the Giants dugout.” It seems strange, and unfortunate, that a guy getting an opportunity to get into MLB suddenly is unable to make the most basic of throws.

17. snarkk said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:11 am

Theriot can stay in the swamp and catch gators for lunch. Or go to the Dodgers.
    He brings a WS championship only to a new team. He comes back, we’re hosed…

18. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:11 am

Refeshing take on Sandoval from BP: “The talk of Sandoval’s weight has at least died down over the past couple of weeks, and it was never that important to begin with. He was tearing it up before his hamate bone injury last year, and now that he has had both of them removed, it’s one less thing to worry about going forward.”

19. Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

BooYah (I intentionally didn’t use an exclamation point so as not to appear happy about this:
    Hanley, torn ligament in thumb. Out at least 8 weeks.

• Macdog said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:33 am

I love the WBC!

• Bozo said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

Good one Mac!

• Chico said, on March 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hilarious.

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

I second Paul in Asia’s comment from yesterday re: HanRam…

20. snarkk said, on March 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

Similar to what I said last night, with this Ramirez injury, next WBC the Doghairs will be offering:
    1. Nobody.
    2. Their 29 year old AAAA roster fillers that will never play at the Latrine.
    3. Tommy Lasorda…

21. eddacker said, on March 21, 2013 at 11:12 am

Ted is gonna be pissed
    but thanks always Mr. Scott

22. willedav said, on March 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hey Loo good luck those are two good outside picks who won tough conferences and are battle tested. Interestingly enough both played for Knight at Indiana, Crews taking over after Majerus.
    More parity this year makes it less likely big boys survive. Gotta run, but butler vs. the 11 seed bucknell bison is a great game–like bucknell’s motion O.
    Just hope the pac 12 teams don’t do anything too embarrassing in first round.

• Chico said, on March 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Go Pac 12 – Go Bears!

23. Chico said, on March 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I liked Theriot a lot as a back up, but sfgate sensationalizes everything.. Headline reads ‘hero’, whatever.

24. Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hey guys–
    here is the thread written by the Cardinal blogger called *Playing Pepper*–it’s a compilation of 3 or 4 SF Giants blogs answering the same questions that we did about a month ago. Here’s the link if you want to read any of it.

• Chico said, on March 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Thanks.. Good read, too. I’m guessing the gentlemen mentioned in that blog post ‘Paul’ is the Paul who comments here… I had no idea that your blog was this well known nationwide.. Well done dude.

• chipower9 said, on March 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thanks, Flav. Nice read. And nice job with dropping the “2 in 3” in every answer you gave…love you rubbing salt into the wounds of the Cards’ fans! Bahaha…

25. Alleykat said, on March 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Hey if you wanted to fill out a losing bracket in the tournament,just take the teams with the lowest pct of graduation.

26. Chico said, on March 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm

And down goes St Mary’s.

27. chipower9 said, on March 21, 2013 at 2:53 pm

St. Mary’s battled back hard…but too little, too late. I am 4-2 so far today. I had a gut feeling SMC would NOT get past Memphis, but took them anyway.

28. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Interesting read, Craig. Someday maybe I can say I knew you “when”.. good job. I’m still waiting on that Mays video, it’s kinda pissing me off. It’s a week since they charged my card. I’ll probably see if I can post it on my sorry ass blog for a day or two. And if it’s kosher I’ll make copies for whoever wants one.

29. Irish Kevin said, on March 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

My niece went to SMC, but I took Memphis. I am a bad Uncle!! ha ha so far 6 out of 8 today

30. zumiee said, on March 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Kensuke Tanaka’s bid to make the Giants’ Opening Day roster ended Thursday, when the club reassigned him to Minor League camp.

Tanaka, 31, did not display the form that made him an All-Star and Gold Glove Award winner with the Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan. He hit .229 (11-for-48) with a .275 on-base percentage and a .250 slugging percentage in 19 Cactus League games. The non-roster invitee also committed seven of the 19 errors the Giants have recorded.

• Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm

figuring out how Japanese player’s will transfer their game to the states is always a difficult task. Ichiro and Darvish: good. Shingo and Dice-K: bad. Aoki was a stud out of nowhere last season. Tanaka looks like he can’t even throw a baseball. Some are very good, some don’t pan out at all. Japanese baseball is just very different. Their players are strong on fundamentals but the general philosophy is risk avoidance. The hitters rarely take extra bases, focus more on contact than driving the ball, and managers tend to play for 1 run at a time. Consequently, pitcher stats look better than they might otherwise.
      Also, the umpiring is questionable in Japan. Fewer errors are called, reflecting the cultural philosophy of low tolerance for mistakes and the desire to avoid publicly embarrassing a player.
      There are many other differences: mostly artificial turf but some even have dirt infields, 6 man rotations, they just started using a standardized ball in 2011, tie games are allowed, many starters pitch in relief in between starts….
      Anyway, these are all factors I have to take into consideration when i decide whether or not to draft a Japanese player (or pick one off the waiver wire). It’s never easy, I’ve been burned before and I’ve scored before. But I guess that goes with all fantasy players, regardless of where they’re from……..

31. Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm

and I think it’s hilarious that the new player I predicted who would surprise in 2013 (Tanaka) in my preview for the Cardinal blog got re-assigned by the Giants today……

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Maybe he’ll make a magical comeback by mid-summer. Or, go back to Japan for about 300 million guaranteed Yen…

• Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Hey I sent you something last Fri, did you receive it?

• snarkk said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I sent you an email on this…

• Bozo said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:01 pm

He was just Nippon Ham fisted. Ah, no sexual innuendo intended.

32. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Jackson Williams and Johnny Monell also sent down.

• DJLoo said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Thanks for the guilt trip at 8:38 AM…

• Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

More detail requested, please

• twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

It wasn’t my intention. You’ve been generous to me and I appreciate it.

33. eddacker said, on March 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I just saw this headline, again, always a pleasure to read

Zito fans seven Mariners in longest spring outing

and, yes, I know ST games mean very little

34. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Another big outing for Jonathan,
    5 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 4 K. that’s two fine games in a row.

• twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

While it’s looking like Dirrrrty should make the team, he can opt out Sunday if the Bucs don’t guarantee a spot. Would you guys want him back if it was doable?

• Flavor said, on March 21, 2013 at 8:40 pm

No. And if you’d like, I’ll detail the reasons tomorrow. I’d even be down with a point/counterpoint.
        If you want to do that, email me you “counter” (to my “no”) by 4 or 5 am tomorrow.
        Come on, it could be a fun thread

• twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Nah, I’m hoping he makes the Bucs.I don’t think he’s a guy to come home again .

35. Macdog said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Adios Lobos.

• willedav said, on March 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

yeah, I must have hexed them for Loo. they got ” ed pinckneyed”…Harvard couldn’t miss second half.
      Funny because I distinctly recall the women’s team taking down Stanford many years ago as a 15 or 16 seed. A gal named Alison Feaster, who went on to play in whatever women’s pro league existed then, lit them up.

36. twinfan1 said, on March 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Night all, Never tire of watching Pablo showboating that 3rd dinger…