A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Vernon Wells Story is Fascinating……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 24, 2013

Well, maybe not to any of you. But I have marveled at his career for years now. He was drafted by Toronto in ’97 and debuted for them in ’99. So far, nothing to marvel at. He scores a starting gig in ’02 and does well, 23 bombs/100RBI’s. In 2003 he goes a lil’ sideways crazy and drops 215 hits/33 bombs/117 RBI’s and a .317 batting average. Very nice. Everyone started talking about him being a 5-tool guy but he never really exploded in any category in ’04 or ’05. He did have another very nice 2006 season with 32 blasts/17 steals, but still, we aren’t talking about a 40/40 guy, or anything even close.

So what does Toronto do in the winter of ’06? They sign him to a 7 year/126 million dollar extension. WOW. Where did that come from? Stupid? Maybe, but mlb teams do stupid sh!t all the time and back then Toronto had just won 87 games in ’06, their most wins since they won 88 in 1998. They were ready to flex with the big boys down at muscle beach. They wanted to “announce their presence with authority* (for Bull Durham fans). So they went all in with that dumb ass contract…..

Wells went into the tank the next year, hitting .245. The dream of his 5 tools turned into a nightmare of him just being a tool. Toronto had made a huge financial blunder and unlike the Yankees and Red Sox who could give a s!t about busted salaries, they were gonna have to wear this one for years.

And then Vernon zigged while we were zaggin’ in 2010! He left earth 31 times and stole 6 bases–not exactly 5 tools but at that point Toronto would have taken a freaking tool belt in exchange for this guy. But no one would offer something as valuable as a toolbelt since there wasn’t a GM in the world stupid enough to take that dumb ass contract off of Toronto’s books….

Suddenly, a suitor emerges! The Angels decided Wells was back and they had to have him. They traded Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera for him. But don’t think for a second that the Angels are dumb. Cause they aren’t and stuff. They hoodwinked Toronto into throwing in 5 million bucks to the deal. Five Million. The Blue Jays were on the hook for 86 million and not only did they get players for him but they only had to chip in a fraction of that dead deal. Amazing.

Here’s the blog comment I made when I heard about the trade back in January of 2011:

Flavor said, on January 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm (Edit)

“the Angels are fucking  morons. Trading for Vernon Wells? I don’t give a flying fuck what he did last year, he is the most overpaid player in all of baseball based on production (besides Zito). And they TRADED for him. Shit, Napoli, if given a starting spot, might hit more HR’s than him. They coulda paid him 6 mil to do that. Instead they trade for “Mr Nagging Injury” and get to pay him 86 more million. Shit, why didn’t they just overpay for Carl Crawford?”

Moronic side note about the Blue Jays:  they traded Napoli a short time later for Frank Francisco who sucked. Napoli went on to hit 30 bombs and .320 for Texas that year……

But back to Wells….

In his first year with the Angels he hit .218. He lost his starting job and hit .230 last year. Angels owner Arturo Moreno opened his mouth as wide as it would go and prepared to eat the rest of the 42 million he’s owed in 2013 and 2014.

And then today happened. The Yankees, desperate for anyone who can swing a bat in the direction of a thrown ball blow all minds by trading for Wells. They’re only paying 13 million of the remaining 42 on the deal, but even 13 million less is a much more manageable load for Moreno to swallow…….

And Wells will do nothing that a soon-to-be waived free agent outfielder couldn’t have done for the stupid Yankees had they just waited another week……

The Vernon Wells story staggers onward…….

1. twinfan1 said, on March 24, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Welll, he’s never been worth the bucks thrown at him, but as Craig’s 2011 comment notes- it wasn’t the worst contract ever.

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I hope that’s not a joke about Zito being the worst ever.

2. twinfan1 said, on March 24, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t 🙂

3. Alleykat said, on March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Guess their pretty lenient on drug testing in NY.Cause GM Brian Cashman is obviously on drugs to make this trade.

4. DJLoo said, on March 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Maybe it’s time to stretch Runzler out in the minors and train him to be a starter.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Time to trade Runzler. He needs new scenery…

5. Flavor said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I’d like to get a wee bit of success under Runzey before we trade him but that might not happen. And I agree, it’s time to cut the cord on him……

• ewisco said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:33 pm

that’s the whole hard part about a trade: establishing the value. Is he good enough to keep? OMG what happens if he goes on to be an all-star!?! but if he’s not good enough to be considered as a possible (and i’m just using all-star as an example) “all-star”, than who the hell would want him? what’s his value? This is where the front office, scouting etc., earns their money.

6. Flavor said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I have no expectations for Zito this year but I’m optimistic. If he sucks, so be it. I’ll pray someone fills the gap (Timmy?). The truth is, he doesn’t have to do anything for me to appreciate him for the rest of the years that I live. I love Barry Zito for what he did to being us a World Series in 2012. He saved us vs St Louis when failure would not have been tolerated. That was it for me.
    I don’t give a shit about his failures when our team was toiling in losses and mediocrity.
    He’s one of the great Giants of all time for was he did last yr and in the playoffs

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Spot on Craig and Paul . . . You all know how I feel about Zito (even when he wasn’t good, I put the CONTRACT on whomever the dumb ass was in the front office that set it before him to sign. Hmm . . . I wonder if that story about the culpable front office person will ever come out????). Anywho, great comments you guys.

I just woke up after 11 hours of sleep. I am catching up on the blog for the last two days after being wiped out with exhaustion due to traveling to Turkey from Nepal via Doha, Qatar – which actually is a real nice place. The streets aren’t paved with gold, but very close. Qatar reeks with the smell of money. Going to explore a bit of Istanbul today.

Craig, thanks for the email and I responded earlier this morning.

7. paulinasia said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Craig, agree about Zito just for what he did last year. There are a handful of players we could say “we couldn’t have done it without him”, but Barry’s near the top of that list. And I tend to think (uh oh) that if the G’s have a problem with one of the current starters this year, it won’t be Zito. We were always careful in the past to think he’d finally turned a corner (and Michael was usually quite correct to remind us of this), but it’s quite possible Zits will be fine for the rest of his career. Amazing, if that becomes true. Timmy has become the big question mark and quite possibly something else will happen to someone else, leaving Zito to be one of the studs. Uh… did I just say that….. ?

8. salty said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I agree and think well see zito’s best yr…he probably wont win 15, but I think his underlying numbers will be better. The mental burden has been lifted for zito and now ironically rests on Tim. Zits contract is no longer this albatross around his or the org’ and yes after last yr,, I think he sleeps a lot better.

• salty said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Best yr as a G that is.

• blade3colorado said, on March 24, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Good comment too Salty!

9. salty said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Runzler now 27…have to wonder about his “mental” makeup. He did start 10 games in Fresno in 2011..don’t know if that’s what led to his shoulder problem.

10. salty said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

btw, inspired choice for potd

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thanks. It’s been a looooong winter

11. snarkk said, on March 24, 2013 at 8:58 pm

What’s with this “Improve your Brain” ad? Are we being insulted?…

• Flavor said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Fuck WordPress. They have gone back on our agreement and have been posting ads randomly. To their credit, they told me they were gonna do it.
      When I rebuffed their invitation to join their ad program last year (I have intentionally avoided ads for my personal gain and/or WordPress gain) they went silent. Last month they emailed me telling me my traffic is in the top 3-5% of all their blogs so they’re gonna do me a solid and only post ads on my blog periodically.
      Whatever, I don’t have the time or interest in fighting them on this right now.
      Maybe later

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I’m not complaining, it’s just weird from time to time…

12. twinfan1 said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:05 pm

There have been so many awful contracts since the Prince of Darkness signed his deal, he probably lost out on worst contract ever even before last year. And Wells isn’t even in the top five worst contracts, IMO. Hampton regains the “top” among pitchers with stiff competition from the Lackey deal. Werth makes a strong bid among postion players. Some would put A-Rod’s as the worst but his numbers were just too good to put his deal as worst ever.After much deliberation, I’m awarding the honor to the the Jason Bay deal- it wasn’t the biggest but no one has done so little to justify his contract.

• snarkk said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Gamer’s deal at least gets honorable mention. They DFA’d him outta the entire last year of the deal…

• twinfan1 said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I’d never deny him an honorable mention. And some say he got Neukom canned so he might even move into the top ten..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Santana’s deal ain’t looking so hot either.

• twinfan1 said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:50 pm

But it can be hardly be considered a stupid deal unless one considers all long term contracts for pitchers to be stupid.

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

As Kat hinted, the subtext here is Brian Cashman. This episode is a chapter from his soon-to-be-released memoir that has to be titled DESPERATELY SEEKING ANYONE.

• zumiee said, on March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm

And they think during this “Jeter era” that they have magic pixie dust to turn everything great. They are the “cock of the walk” still in their own minds. It would be truly AWESOME to see the Yanks totally crash and burn this year.
      —-
      I was corrected about Coover and his novel “Universal Association of Baseball.” Coover is 81 years old now, and the novel was published in 1968. The main character in the novel creates his own simulated baseball game using dice, sets up a league, and then becomes obsessed with it, and then delusional. I thought it was a 2011 book because there’s a new edition of it out. I’m going to read it, I think. Part of the reason I’m intrigued with the books is because I’d never heard of it! How did that one slip past? (grin)

14. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2013 at 5:50 am

You guys must all be asleep because I just toured a bit of Istanbul and I have returned to see NO comments since my last post. LOL. I must be exactly half way around the world right now. When it’s daylight here, you guys are looking at the stars and moon.

I have one more comment about Barry Zito before you guys wake up and I hit the sack . . . Barry Zito’s contract has to be one of the BEST CONTRACTS ever because without him, we wouldn’t have won the World Series last year or even reached it for that matter (as Craig pointed out).

Shit, you might also say he was responsible partially for the 2010 title too – If he had been on the roster, who knows what sort of fuck ups might have occurred due to his mojo being at an all time low. 🙂