A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Our Offense

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 18, 2013

Finding something to complain about in this 2013 season has been a challenge for me. Maybe I’ve been softened a little by yet another World Series win. Maybe I’m just getting old and the little things don’t bother me as much as they used to. That’s not it, little things piss me off more than ever. I have greatly enjoyed all of these comebacks that the Giants are pulling off seemingly daily. Though it’s not always resulting in a win, we’re only 15 games into the season so I have still have a high tolerance for ultimate failure as long as there are positives to be gleaned along the way.

So basically, I’ve got nothing today.

Here’s how our offense is performing at each spot in the line up:

lineupbattingaverage

I find this fairly interesting. Our 4-5-6-7 hitters aren’t hitting. Still, I love our 4-5-6-7 hitters so I’m not looking for a rant, just noticing something. Then you get the 8 spot and 9 spot significantly outperforming their expected production. I’m not sure if pinch hits are included in the 9 spot. But regardless, .268 is more than acceptable from the 9 hole. As is the .345 we’re getting from the 8 hole (almost exclusively Crawford).

But even with the limpness of the 4-5-6-7 guys, our offense is still solid:

teamoffense

Being 13th in HR’s isn’t gonna fly for the entire year. Or will it? Of course we all remember our HR pro(?)duction from 2012:

team2012

But I don’t think trailing the field in HR’s every year is the blueprint for “How to Win a World Series”.

If the 4-5-6-7 spots in the LU get on track, this offense is really going to be fun to watch.

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 18, 2013 at 6:41 am

Belt is pissing me off but otherwise the club is looking good. Errr maybe lucky is a better way to put it. I don’t know but the Giants haven’t played as well as their record. Once 4-7, or even just a couple of those guys pick it up I will feel better about things.

Sorry Flavor, I have been meaning to post a thread for a while its just that linear time has had no meaning to me for 2 weeks now.

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:51 am

Yeah, me too. I have an idea for a thread. Tonight I have a class, so tomorrow probably is not good, but I will post one soon.

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:25 am

for you two and any other Stable Boy— just shoot me an email when you want to write one and I’ll stand down as well as let all the others know that you’re coming to the plate.

2. paulinasia said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:23 am

Yes, if they get firing on all cylinders, it will be fun. What is more likely is that they’ll take shifts… a few others who haven’t been performing will pick it up at the same time that some who had been stop performing. I sort of expect this team to shift and change, sometimes subtly, as the weeks go on. That’s how we won in both 2010 and last year. So, Craig, maybe it’s a matter of “seasoning” and being able to more easily take things as they come and not sweat some of the small stuff, no doubt about that. Might also include a bit of the knowing dude nod thing.. almost makes you not worry about this team until September. I think it’s actually very cool watching the first month-plus of the season and watch the team find itself. That will include some losses. No way the Giants should be getting beat in Milwaukee, but so it is, and the positive of it is that the team has lost ground only to Colorado, which is insignificant. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get swept and just get the hell out of there and move on to what’s next, feeling like that’s one of the worst series we’ll have all year, which would be fine with me.

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:49 am

I like your spin, Paul. I’m with ya, brother (although I think they’ll take the game today). (I also thought they would get a ND-Zito win the other day, too! 😉 )

3. willedav said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:30 am

Only thing jumps out is lack of extra base hits, almost lowest in league except for Pit (Marlins don’t really count). I was surprised Cubs hit so many bombs as opposed to ours; playing better teams that might not work out so well. As in this series so far, which I thought SF should romp with power hitting coming alive in friendly yard/bad pitching by Brewers.
    I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss James take on pitching/offense. I’ve been wrongly predicting demise of Vogs for a couple years now, but he’s still not right yet this year (maybe the World shit altered his preseason plan). Add in 30 plus starts of Zito and Lincecum (who shows zero signs this will be a better year), could be recipe for over taxing the pen and forcing the offense to score more runs than 4.3 to win.
    This isn’t a doomer take, I’m just convinced 2013 isn’t going to be a cake walk to the parade. It is nice to see LA strain tho, and Posey and Belt aren’t hitting any worse than Kemp.

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:48 am

RARELY is any season a cake walk for any team. I’m not being a Polly with my “glass is half-full” take below, but it is early, and I am NOT going to trip on ANYTHING right now. I think it will be tough as hell this year. I think Zona is going to be a player, and the Rox and Daga can always make things interesting. And I don’t see the Bums tanking all year like they have recently. It will be war…but I still predict a NL West win for our boys in the Orange and Black.

4. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:44 am

Intersting (and timely) topic, Flavor. A friend just stopped by my desk (and the look on his face said “Doomer”). I just sent him an email (and also another friend who doomed a lot last year, but has been quiet so far this year). Here is the text from my email:

=================================================
    I know it is frustrating to drop two to the Brewers (both games we could have easily won…even with Zito’s disastrous outing), but it is EARLY (15 games – less than 10% of the schedule).

I truly think Zito will pitch more like his first two starts than that one meltdown inning.

I think Cain will start pitching like Matt Cain.

Vogelsong’s start last night was encouraging (a step in the right direction).

Timmy remains a huge question mark . The one big inning continues to be his nemesis, but he has buckled-down and kept the score close enough in his starts for the team to come back.

Buster will start hitting like the guy who won Rookie of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, the Willie Mac Award, Silver Slugger Award, Hank Aaron Award, and MVP Award.

Seriously, it is early. The Rockies are playing over their heads, the Bums have lost four straight (swept by Dago in Chavez Latrine)…so just remember that if you want to start moaning about the state of the Orange and Black.

We are 1.5 games out. It is EARLY. Chill, have a cold one, and enjoy the ride. Because when it is all said and done…OUR San Francisco Giants will win the NL West. (DO NOT come dooming around me…you will probably get large, heavy, sharp objects thrown at you…it could be detrimental to your health and well-being.)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Have a nice day.

Together We’re Champions!
    Orange and Black Forever!!
    GO GIANTS!!!

==========================================================

Seriously, it is WAY TOO EARLY to get your knickers in a twist over this shit. The boys will come around. We have Cainer on the bump today to get the ship righted…and a win will translate to a 4-3 roadie (over .500 on the road…I’ll take that ALL DAY LONG).

I am loving the way Crawford is hitting the ball. Someone mentioned yesterday that with his swing, they don’t understand how he isn’t clubbing 25 a year (something like that…I paraphrase). 25 may be a stretch, but I thing MudBug is going to settle into a nice little hitter.

Early game today. Get a win and head home!

5. Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:51 am

Posey and Scoots sitting, Craw in 5 hole today

6. salty said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:02 am

Lot.of stuff last yr to fret over early on and… surprise! So I think we have more faith things will work out.

7. James said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

“. . . firing on all cylinders” The team is averaging 4.8 runs a game and is 5th in the league. Posey and Belt’s numbers will get better, but I don’t think the offense for the season is going to be more productive than it has been over the first 15 games.

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:45 am

I think Quirozes’ 1 for 1 is probably skewing the numbers. Once he and Zito cool off, we may get a better read on the offense..

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

I agree, but I do believe the pitching will be better.

8. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:38 am

First, that 9 spot is goosed a bit by the 6 for 8 from Noonan and Slugmeister Zito..
    Belt? He’s hit in a lot of bad luck but until recently he’s hacked like Hector. Bochy says he was “long ” again, he’s becoming a concern.
    Buster? Yes, he’ll come around.. but he didn’t run hard on the deflected grounder, that’s not excusable.
    Machi broke in with what appeared to be a nearly pen clearing fart.

fart

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

That’s some funny shit…well, hopefully not…I think you get the drift…looks like those sitting nearby in the dugout certainly got the drift…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Mijares’ reaction is classic. J.P.Donleavy has some etiquette advice on farting in his brilliant “The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual of Survival & Manners”, definitely a Good Read, and required for every bathroom. You’ll find fart etiquette under “Vilenesses Various ”

9. Macdog said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:44 am

It’s been frustrating as hell watching Posey struggle so far. Two games in a row now he’s struck out with the bases loaded, no wonder he’s getting another game off today, his second this week. And Belt, not sure whether to scream at him or feel sorry for him. He hit that ball to LF with the bases full on Tuesday and Braun ends up making a Lupus-like catch. Then there are times like yesterday when he looks completely lost in a couple ABs. (I also have him on fantasy team, fortunately he hasn’t hurt me — yet). But . . . the season’s not even 3 weeks old, and the other supposed major players in the division aren’t lighting it up either. Even Kershaw finally looked human last night. And shout-out to Brad Brach, local Jersey guy who got the win vs. the Dogs last night.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:49 am

Frankly, I’m amazed they’ve done as well as they have with guys like Posey and Belt doing little so far. Did the flu fuck Belt up that much? He should be over it by now. Yesterday was a microcosm of how everyone pitches him. down and in, watch him flail at the back foot slider. Pence’s numbers are surprising. i thought he was doing better. His hits seem to be very timely I suppose. The worm-burner yesterday was a case in point.

BTW Hunter’s 4, 10, .262. He’s batted 5th all the time, right? Ahhh, nevermind. He batted 4th for 3 games.

Nevermind . . .

11. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:13 am

Chill, have a cold one (or two or three), and enjoy the ride…it’s EARLY…

12. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:13 am

James is right, we’re not going to do better than 4.8 RPG- a couple guys will hit worse ( Pagan, Mudbug ), a couple better ( Posey, Belt ) . If we finish at 4.8 the only thing that would keep us out of the postseason would be the pitching.
    The Brewer series thus far has been a return to reality- we’re not even close to the 9-4 team we were going in.

13. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

Belt has been a bit snakebit. He has hit the ball well at times with little to show for it.

14. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’m not worried about today. They could lose again and it wouldn’t kill me. Although if Cainer gets rocked, I might change my tune. Milwaukee just isn’t kind to the Giants. Just be gland they get this seeries over with early in the season. Now we have 2.5 weeks of NL West games.

Weird-ass scheduling with SD and AZ being home/away. I thought it was only hockey that had those home/away matchup games. Makes for lots of animosity . . .

15. zumiee said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:41 am

“he didn’t run hard on the deflected grounder, that’s not excusable.”

Yes, he clearly should have gotten thrown out by 10 feet instead of 15 feet.

• zumiee said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:54 am

Actually I kinda agree with you. ALL major leaguers should run those things out hard, yet so few do.

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

I don’t believe it’s true that only a few run hard to first.

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

Z, maybe you should look at the video. He was out by two steps. I’ve just watched it several times.

16. eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

WOO! HOO! Live game on in the UK (and Greece)
    Fox broadcast, though. Miller Park, Miller Lite but no Jon

17. eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

Matt Cain come on down!

18. eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:19 am

|Posey and Scooter on the bench
    bochy mixing it up

19. eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:27 am

0 and 2 count and cain throws a hanging slider

20. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Wow, Cain leaves another spank-me slider up.

21. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Milwakuee.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

Calling Wrigley, calling Wrigley Field. What did we leave there that we did not take on the bus to Milwaukee?

23. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

Pathetic.

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:50 am

Are. you. fecking. kidding.? STOP THE BLEEDING.

25. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:50 am

OK, the concern meter is starting to jump a little.

26. Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:50 am

I think that phantom HBP rattled Cain a little. But, he’s been throwing mistake pitches all game so maybe it’s just not his day

27. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

I think Milwaukee has gotten all their RBIs this year in the past 2.2 games.

28. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:53 am

Maybe the Giants should have sent their daughters and dogs to Milwaukee.

29. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:55 am

WTF, got out of a meeting a couple of minutes ago…hit the scoreboard…2-0. And in the few seconds it took to bring up the radio feed online…it’s 5 to fucking nothing. This too shall pass…I stand by all my earlier comments. Time to turn this fucker around and win the get-away game!

30. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

Hey, even if we get swept here…it is still ONLY 16 games…not even 10% of the season. I’m out…heading to the park to practice some Tai Chi…on second thought…maybe I hit El Taco Loco and have a double Greyhound!

31. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:03 am

What’s scary is that Timmy is actually the #3 starter by performance…

32. salty said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

Shocking.

33. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

Oh my gawd. I am now officially averting my eyes.

34. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

Should we give Matt a shot at an eight-fer?

35. Macdog said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:15 am

Fer chrissakes, I walk away from the room for a few minutes and now it’s 7-0.

36. salty said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

Can’t blame the ring ceremony.

37. snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

It’s time Cain takes some criticism. His stats may be as bad or worse now than Timmeh’s.
    He’s the “horse” with a massive contract, and he’s been pitching like a nag…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

Worse- by a lot. The rotation order by performance is Bum-Zits-Timmy-Vogie-Cain

38. Bozo said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

Dang me, dang me
    They oughta take a rope and hang me.

Down 2 zip, I went out to finish up a little yard work and I come back to this Cain carnival of carnage..

39. snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

I still don’t get this day off thing with Posey. He just had a day off a few days ago, or was it two in a row? Cain’s pitching, he’s not hard on a catcher. Night game/day game following is a lame excuse in my book for a guy making that much money, an MVP and only 25 years old. He could be at first and let Belt have a blow to get his mind right. Is Buster’s ankle still that fragile? I have to believe no, else they wouldn’t have backed up the Brinks truck for him…

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Plus, Miller Park has always been a place he hits. I agree, weird day off indeed.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

Good point. Managers normally try to get a guy’s stroke going by letting him play in a park he’s had success in — yet he sits at Miller where he normally rakes? They play tomorrow night back in SF with no day off in between, but sheezus, it’s a night game. The guy is 25 years old and the reigning MVP and supposedly in great shape. It’s not like they’re playing a day game in August in St. Louis when it’s a sauna…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

He should catch. Hector sure can’t.

40. James said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

Can we get one of those crucial shut down innings?

• Macdog said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

I’ll just take an inning without a home run.

41. Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 11:40 am

Matt Kemp: 0 HR’s, 0 sb’s. So much for his 50/50 call. And what was up with that girlish black leather backpack he was wearing when Richard stopped him in the tunnel?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 pm

By the looks of his stat line it is his man purse.

42. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

On the bright side, this year 7 runs has been “giving your team a chance to win”,..

43. snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Schulman tweeted earlier in the game that on this roadie so far, the opposition has out-homered the Gyros 15-2. I’d say a 3-4 games outcome on the roadie after that would be pretty amazing…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:18 pm

If Quiroz can catch at all, Hector should be sent to Fresno work on it. I’m being real hard on Hector but he’s really gone downhill defensively.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Well, Quiroz has played in one game, I think, maybe 2? I don’t see what help he’s providing, and if he’s around just so Hector can be a PHer on occasion, that’s pretty weak rationale to keep 3 catchers…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Quiroz has been around enough to at least know what he’s doing behind the plate- Hector doesn’t. Bring one of the Fresno OFers up.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’m being a little obtuse for some reason today. I meant to say I agree that Quiroz should stay, Hector can go down. Hector’s offense was the reason he came along last year, outweighing his lackluster D. Now, I don’t see much of that offensive potential (though he is walking more), and his D seems worse. Two catchers only is fine. And, yes, maybe bring up Peguero for more punch — although that could upset the Torres/Blanco thing…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

You’re probably just a little at sea from agreeing with me a couple times. I’ll try to straighten that out…

44. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I mean, is Buster nursing something? He’s a shell of himself. Panda can’t be all we got.

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I don’t think so, and even if he was, I doubt the team would make it public. And NO, Panda is NOT all we got. Buster WILL come around…just hopefully sooner rather than later.

45. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:26 pm

The best loogie action we’ve seen this year ends up in MadBum’s glove.

46. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Dammit…back to the truck from my trip to the park…7-1. I knew I should stopped at El Taco Loco and had a double Greyhound (fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice…YOWZA). I agree with snarkk’s 12:13…with the HR numbers, I’ll take a 3-4 roadie. And on Michael’s 12:05…only down six…hell, they can still win this thing. Let’s hope the friendly confines of our yard help get the boys back on the good foot.

And I agree with the head-scratching re: Buster sitting today. I don’t question much that Bochy does…but that one poses quite the conundrum…

47. Irish Kevin said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm

For me having two world series in the pocket has made me a little less critical of April and May. The Giants are two weeks into the season. when guys come up to me asking about what happened to the Giants, I just shrug and say has any Team gone 162-0. I tell them to relax, 15 games into the season does not make a season just as 50 at bats does not cement a players BA for the season. So for me I am just enjoying watching baseball. when the Season hits the 40 game mark, then I will start complaining about who is not doing what or whatever there will be to bitch and moan about. right now not too much bitching and moaning!!

• chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Agree, Kev. And even 40 games in isn’t all that, depending on the situation. I mean if you’re 5 or 6 games out at that point, there may not be huge cause for concern. Regardless, I agree…it is WAY too early be start bumming on shit…

• Irish Kevin said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

and just to show how much calmer I am about April and May, Zito’s implosion didn’t even faze me. prior to the WS’s, I would have been typing some very nasty shit about Zito’s abilities. ha ha, gay as smiley face Right here.

48. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm

The one thing that I wonder about (and concerns me mildly) is the number of HARD shots Buster has taken off his mask the past couple of weeks.

49. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thinks it’s time to stroll over and check out the BBOTD again…

50. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Not knowing all of the whys and wherefores, I’d trust Bochy on why Buster is sitting. What I would second guess is not catching Quiroz and moving Noonan ahead of Belt.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I agree on dropping Belt. Bochy will say he’s trying to take pressure off Belt. What he’s really doing is showing lack of confidence in him, as usual. I’d say that move puts MORE pressure on Belt…

• eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm

well, if I were Bochy, with Craw hot move him to the 2 hole not white shark. And Belt behind Noonan? not sure I understand that one.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm

To be clear, I meant I agree with Oracle that I disagree with dropping Belt down. We’re still in mid April for kreissakes. If he’s still cratering in early May, OK then, do it…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I know what you meant. I’ll go into full second guess mode on the LU for today.
        Pagan, Blanco, Panda, Pence, Crawford, Belt, Noonan, Quiroz…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Well, Gregor has hit the ball hard with little to show for it, also. The 5 is a good RBI spot, I don’t see any prob with putting Crawford there.

51. eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm

The Brewers have been playing well. they beat ST. Louie before this series.

It is not our fault. Cain is oK
    It is not our fault. Cain is oK
    It is not our fault. Cain is oK
    It is not our fault. Cain is oK
    It is not our fault. Cain is oK
    It is not our fault. Cain is oK

• eddacker said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

clicking heels together 3 times

52. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Well, that was my point. If Posey’s bothered by something nagging or whatever, he’d getting some down time.

Crawfish certainly likes it there.

53. snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Crawford obviously can’t hit like this all season.
    But. Until the league figures out an adjustment, this is just gold to have a SS hit like this. Put him at 5 I dunno, but sure, push him down from 8, and keep him at 2 when Scuts is sitting. Maybe this kid ultimately can hit consistently around .275 with some pop, like 10-12 HRs a year? That would be friggin’ unbelievable shortstop production…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Well, that would be about average SS production offensively. But with his defense, it would be terrific.

54. salty said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm

It’s like A ball all over again for Crawford. Impossible to say what lies ahead, but you would think the league already had a pretty good book on him.

55. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I see his upside offensively as somewhat like Khalil Greene…

56. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I think Crawford is still young enough that he can rise to the level of the competition. I’m not saying he’ll maintain this early production but .270+ is doable for him.

57. chipower9 said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Well, you always want to play .500 on the road, but considering everything…3-4 isn’t too bad. Hopefully they get back on track at home tomorrow.

58. Bozo said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm

On the bright side, I’m sure the team enjoyed some great Polish dogs and cheese curds. Soak up some suds on the flight home and kick the brown out of the Padres robes tomorrow.

59. Alleykat said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Nice line by Fitzgerald (Knbr)
    Gallardo …..So do you long toss on day 2 after a start?
    No I blow a .22 driving instead.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if Fitz ripped that line off from somebody on a blog…

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 2:21 pm

That’s pretty funny

60. snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm

1. Not good when half the Pen pitchers have lower ERAs than most of the starters.
    2. Don’t look now, but Timmeh has the third best ERA of the 5 starters; Cain’s is the worst on the entire staff…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I already looked, The rotation order by performance is Bum-Zits-Timmy-Vogie-Cain…that’s not a good thing.

61. Alleykat said, on April 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm

One thing about Mudbug, he sure likes hitting in Milwaukee. His 1st game in the show he hit that Grandslam against them.

62. Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Maybe this was said earlier today, but it was a curious LU for Bochy to go with today–especially when Bochy tells Miller in his pre-game show, “we don’t want to get swept we need this game today.” Huh? If you need it, where is Posey? Where is Scoots? As Snarkk said, posey is 25 (he might be 26) why does he need a day off today?

63. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Henry posts that a private ceremony will be held next month with World Sries rings awarded to many behind the scenes people, including the scouts . One guy who will get a ring helped scout the Tigers, He might be one we remember, vaguely..

64. Nipper said, on April 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Lets forget last season and start worrying about this one.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I waited 45 years of being a fan for 2010 and last season. I ain’t forgettin’ either anytime soon…

65. snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Looks like another Culliver Clean Up operation for the Niners…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Culliver with half a brain= Zeke!!!!

66. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Last year had the most dramatic postseason of the two here but no championship will ever top 2010 for me- and I include those by the Bucs in 1960 and the Twin’s titles. 1960 would probably be the choice but really I
    wasn’t old enough to truly appreciate it. No game is better suited for us old(er) farts than baseball. Mazeroski’s HR was *exciting* 5 decades ago, today it’s historic, if you understand what I mean. So it’s with those decades behind me that the true uniqueness of 2010 becomes that much more to savor- using a Packer analogy- the 2010 Giants were more Chuck Mercein than Paul Hornung…the pitching will always be what the scribes will write about but the heart of that team were those misfits- a “washed up” Burrell, born again Uribe, the unlikely brilliance of Vungo, the maligned Renteria, Freddie with his only chance to shine-and he glittered, Huff putting it all together just for us and never again, Ishi, Nate, Ross- the guy we didn’t want-… that title was about those guys, men who somehow were better when it counted than they ever were before and would ever be again. That was truly special, a championship dedicated to the thousands of players who had just a cup of coffee, a title for the Phil Nastu’s who played the game…

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I’m not sure how many check out the “POTD-best of” widget. Every couple of months I find a post I like enough to upload it. This one was #37.

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thank you, I consider that quite an honor.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Yep, good one. Even got in a reference to Nastu. 😉
        I agree that 2010 was “better” for me than 2012, due only to being the first. Still, it’s like choosing between the Snarkettes — can’t do it, won’t do it. With one in the bag, the 2012 playoffs were to me, as I said ad nauseum, just a “WTF not” type of deal, and it was great how they kept coming back and got it done. Had 2012 been flipped with 2010, the 2012 experience would have been “better” in the same chronological way…

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I had to get Nastu in there. I wasn’t giving any thought to “POTD-best of”- I mean that’s like dreaming of a National Book Award ;- )
        But in retrospect, Phil punched me my ticket into the POTD HOF. Now please excuse me, I really don’t like mingling with the riff-raff.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Great post Twin. I agree

67. Alleykat said, on April 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Yeah are HR total is probably gonna be like last year,hopefully more,but the park has alot to do with it. Hell we did jump are run total up big last year(718) good for 6th…this team gets it done with doubles 6th ,and smoked everyother team in triples with 57 1st in that category(Rox’s 52) similar parks for gappers.
    Pitching&D will be the key again.And having the “Best Manager in Baseball” doesn’t hurt either.
    Orange&Black and don’t look back!!!

68. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Speaking of rings, my wife went to the game with one of our daughters the day we met Blanco, and she bumped into Amy G. My wife asked her if she got a ring, and she said no. My wife was pissed and said she deserved it as much as Kruk and Kuip. Wonder if she gets one then. Why not?

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Not a Giants employee — but of CSNBA? That’s a guess. And, I would respectfully disagree with your wife, though she must be lovely. K&K make way more $ for Baer than Amy G, hence more deserving of the bling…

• zumiee said, on April 18, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Ha! My wife was asking me if Renel got a ring, and it turns out Renel did get a ring.
      The ladies like to see the ladies get rings. (grin)

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Renel is on the Giants payroll. My theory is getting support — unless somebody posts Amy’s W-2 from the Giants…

• James said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I’m outraged Amy doesn’t have a ring. The subtle way she provides the answers to her questions of those dumb ball players is an art. It’s such a fine line between sleazy bauble and symbol of accomplishment.

69. Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Snarkk, I just read that Culliver text. I read it 5 times. Either I just got too old to understand or I’m too dumb to get it. So if I’m reading this correctly, one of Culliver’s homeboy’s texted him about some “bitch” who wanted to go out with him as long as it was in his ride. Now the text gets fuzzy…..I could read “bitch you got a whole dude live in work you trippin” 1,000 times and not have a clue what that means….
    Culliver clearly does as his response indicates.
    Am I just stupid or do any of you understand what “bitch you got a whole dude live in work you trippin” means? I feel like I just had a brain aneurysm hit and I’m now taking an English exam at Urbandictionary.com. And I clearly failed…..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I’m guessing it’s similar to someone getting up in there and tearing it up, going to work. Something like that but that shit makes no sense to me.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm

BF, YOU”RE too old to get it? Fuckin A, that means I’m in an alternative universe from this “prose”. All I know is a lot of people will not be happy that a Niner is throwing “hoes” and “bitches” around in social media. He and his buds on the team may talk shit like this all day long at 4949, but the folks paying $30K for a seat license at the new digs in S. Clara aren’t going to like it. I’ll go out on a very short limb and say Prince Jed is not happy about this…

70. James said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Bitch you got a whole
    Dude live in work you trippin’
    aneurysm hit

• unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

That’s gold . . . I think.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2013 at 10:52 pm

NFL Haiku?
      I could be misjudging Culliver altogether. He’s an NFL Longfellow…

71. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Amy G’s more deserving than Huff . . .

• twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm

If guys who never contributed to either of their titles can get em’, Huff sure as hell should .

72. unca_chuck said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Culliver is well on his way to talking himself out of the NFL.

73. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Memo to Jed regarding Culliver sensitivity training: it didn’t take, bitch.

74. Flavor said, on April 18, 2013 at 8:47 pm

And while I really don’t like Amy G that much, she should get a ring. It’s a joke how many they’re giving out and she doesn’t get one?

75. twinfan1 said, on April 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I read somehere, maybe her facebook page, that she said she didn’t get one yet but was fitted for one. They are giving more of them in a month.