A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

How Much Slack Has Cain Earned With You?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 19, 2013

Matt Cain has been abysmal this year. And I really don’t care even a little bit. Yet. Most of the guys on our team have banked enough slack to use (with me) for a long time. How long? Well, I went back to see when my *rope* ran out with Timmy last year. It was May 21st. Here is that thread:

It would be the beginning of many threads that called out Lincecum for his failures in 2012. So if 2 Cy Young’s and one World Series (at the time) bought him not quite 2 months of slack with me, how would that transfer to the slack I ultimately give Cain this year?

Matt Cain:

No Cy Young’s and he’s making 20 million dollars this year so expectations are naturally higher. But, he endured years of no run support, never complained about it or the team, has 4 post season wins, a hot wife, threw a perfect game and….probably a lot of other stuff, too.

So even though Matty is sporting a 7.52 ERA and an 0-2 record, I have nothing to say about him except I think he’s rad. Nothing but thankful, encouraging, positive vibes coming from Big Flavor’s corner of the earth.

I’ve finished my calculations. Turns out Matt gets slack from me well into late May/early June. But if he’s still pitching like this in June…..

I might start off easy and tell him I had sex with his wife. If that doesn’t work, a thread starting “Matt Cain needs to Get His Head out of His Ass…” might be appropriate…..

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 19, 2013 at 6:35 am

You’re right his wife is hot. She always seems unhappy though. Maybe she is just socially awkward. This is from another Giants blog but I always find it helpful when I am sad about Matt Cain.

2. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 6:55 am

Given the stats for the starters in Fresno, Matt is looking pretty good.

If Matt is hurt and not saying anything, then I’m pissed. Otherwise, I figure he’ll work it out soon.

3. chipower9 said, on April 19, 2013 at 8:10 am

Have not thought about how much slack I would give him, but I am not worried right now. I believe he’ll find his stride soon rather than later.

4. twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

Well, I think that if a person is going to give Zito 10 years, he has to give Cain until 2063…

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2013 at 8:45 am

As you know, and my past threads prove this, I skewered Zito a hundred times before his re-birth and clutch playoff performances in 2012

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

go type *Zito* into the search thread and see how many threads I wrote blistering him

• twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:07 am

And he deserved it. The pernt is that you’re giving him 10 years now, and 2 months to a guy who contributed far more to this team. I’m using *your* rationale, not mine. Using the reason you give for giving Zits 10 years, Matt and Tim are exempt for decades..

5. twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

Actually, if we’re talking about freedom from criticism for poor performance, it’s absurd to exempt anybody. And, if anything, those who have the most expectations deserve the least slack. It’s always been that way. The big money guys are expected to deliver big money performance. Matt deserved the slack when he was pitching like a 15 game winner and getting 7 wins for it. Now he’s supposed to be the ace and getting the bucks than an ace gets- he’s fair game.

6. willedav said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

I mentioned lack of XBH jumped out at me in yesterday’s thread stats. Here’s ABs/XBH from regulars so far:
    craw 54/7
    pagan 61/2
    sando 58/4 s
    scut 56/3
    pence 65/5
    blanco 44/2
    posey 47/4
    belt 53/3

• twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:26 am

And Crawford is far and away the BP “WARP” leader among position players:
      Crawford 1.2 Pagan 0.5 Panda 0.3 Pence 0.2. Belt is last at minus 0.7
      Pitchers: 4 are tied at 0.2 (Vogie, MadBum, Gaudin, Romo ). Zits is 0.1 , Cain 0.0 .Tim is last at minus 0.2
      WARP numbers are cumulative, BTW

• chipower9 said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

My brain is WARPed from the G-men getting swept by the Brew-Crew (just kidding…it is early). Hoping the friendly confines of 24 Willie Mays Plaza turns things around for the Orange and Black.

7. blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

I love Cainer and he has infinite rope with me. Not that Timmy doesn’t have his act together (2 CYs attest to that), it’s just that I have a hard time getting pissed off at someone who goes hand and hand with Mom, the flag, and American pie.Sheesh, he’s just too loveable IMO.

Twin, I saw your follow up posts with regard to my comments about your dad. Sorry, I didn’t get back to you, I had a bad week in one day yesterday and was sort of busy all evening contacting credit card companies and going to police stations (yes, multiple). Ha. šŸ™‚ . I just posted about it, so at least my blog readership will probably go up. See, I am always looking for the frickin’ silver lining. Even my Flap team is out of last place, so I have no reason to complain. Later gents, off to dinner, then bed.

• snarkk said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:13 am

Blade, if you need any assistance for some reason from here in the US on this wallet thing in terms of contacting or arranging something, let me know on my email. I know that has to be a bummer and hassle and a half to get things together. Get a nice new Italian wallet in Rome and then watch out there, the pickpockets are slick there, too. There are groups that use kids to get your attention diverted, then you get picked clean by another kid or an adult while you’re shooing the kids away. If a couple of kids surround you and start hassling you, grab your wallet and other gear…

• blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks Tom. I responded to your message on my blog. Much appreciation. You read my mind about a wallet, I’ll probably get one after I visit this museum tomorrow. Nice leather here too and I need one ASAP.

I wont even say, “yeah, I know” in regard to the thieves in Italy. My point being that I do know this shit, but I was fucking over confident yesterday and I paid the price thinking it couldn’t happen to me. As I indicated in my blog post response to you, these guys were pros, so I have no idea if I would have caught them, even after my wallet was taken (i.e., usually these guys pass it on to another guy or gal immediately after they take it). By the by, everyone has told me that zippers, velcro or keeping your wallet in your front pocket is not fool proof. I have a money belt with me and that’s probably the safest method. Anywho, it happened and I can’t do jack about it, so I’ve moved on. For them? Karma is a bitch and the 130 Euros they took will be small consolation to the shit that will rain on their future parade. That’s how the Universe has always worked.

• twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 11:23 am

Blade, you didn’t need to get back to me.

8. Alleykat said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:34 am

He made mistake pitches over the plate he admitted,it happens to the best.Not worried about the Horse.
    Only Bum has his shit together right now,
    Given em 40 games in then see where were out.
    “Dont Sweat the Small Stuff BF” Just a shitty road trip overall.
    Bum at home tonight against some stiff…Piece of cake…

9. Irish Kevin said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:41 am

I have to say that Cain getts a lot of rope from me also. He was my favorite pitcher when he came up, even when Timmy came up and showed his abilities, I always thought Cain was the better pitcher. Still do. He is just so strong and capable that I think this is just an early season slump.

10. snarkk said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’m not giving Cain slack until June. If he’s throwing gopher balls through mid May, and I don’t expect that, he’s going to get the criticism he and anybody else in his spot deserves. He doesn’t get any more mound capital to bleed out than Lincecum just because he’s a good dude and has a hot wife and labored for a coupla years with no run support. He’s getting PAID now for that. Lincecum’s been a good dude and has a hot blond GF, the last time I saw her in the parade. The Giants are on the hook to Cain for 6X more LT guaranteed coin than Timmeh, and Tim’s likely gone after this year, maybe as soon as the deadline. So as the “horse”, Cain needs to stop throwing hit me fastballs over the plate and start pitching real soon. Tim’s been in the dumper for a year+ now (with a playoffs comeback) and he’s taken the heat, and taken it like a man, and blamed nobody else. Zito did the same for the longer period of his crappiness. I expect Cain will do the same, if needed. Hopefully, not needed…

11. twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:27 am

I guess that depends on what one means by giving him slack. “Yeah, he was bad yesterday but he’s been so good in the past, I have to think he’ll come around” . That’s slack. It doesn’t mean he’s not fair game for “but yesterday he STUNK..”

• snarkk said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

In Cain’s context, IMO “slack” means he gets no sustained criticism. Stinking yesterday is just fact, not sustained ripping. There’s no slack anymore for Tim, apparently even in light of his 2012 playoff performance. In contrast, it appears Zito has earned from many fans some “rehabilitation slack” due to his 2012 playoffs performance. Everybody will give Cain some period of slack for poor performance due to his past good performance and being a good soldier in the bad times. BF’s slack period is longer than mine. Everybody else here has their own length of slack period, I should think, if Cain continues to flounder. Just like Haggar and Sansabelt have differing slack periods…

12. twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

Rehab slack? Funny. Anyway, Flavor says Tim got until May 21 of 2012. Zito’s “rehab slack” gets him 10 years. Funnier still.

13. Alleykat said, on April 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Slack? Slack? Slack?
    How does a Pittsburgh Pirate endure 19 straight losing seasons?
    Alot of drinking i assume slumped over a bar stool.

14. blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Chi and Clown – I sent you both trade proposals. At least I think Camino Lumberjacks is Chi, right? HAHA is Bozo, right?

• chipower9 said, on April 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Yep…Camino Lumberjacks. Will check it out.

15. blade3colorado said, on April 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Flav, I threw a magnificent trade your way too. LOL.

• Flavor said, on April 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Blade– thanks, but that’s a no go. I’m on my phone and I’m having trouble rejecting it. Feel free to cancel it and compose another one

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 19, 2013 at 3:45 pm

What nothing for me? šŸ™‚

16. James said, on April 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I read somewhere that it’s not uncommon for a “good” hitter to have stretches of over 100 PAs where he puts up poor numbers. Not sure if it translates, but that’s about 5-6 starts for a pitcher.

17. twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Angel Pagan CF, Marco Scutaro 2B, Pablo Sandoval 3B, Buster Posey C, Hunter Pence RF, Brandon Crawford SS, Brandon Belt 1B, Gregor Blanco LF, (Madison Bumgarner P)

18. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Let’s get that run back, Giants.

19. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Alright, let’s get another.

20. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Bum with the seeing eye.

21. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Buster “Wheels” Posey.

• eddacker said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I really like watching Posey run, the ankle _looks_ OK

22. zumiee said, on April 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Guzman showing with his horrible defense why the Giants couldn’t find a spot for him.

23. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I don’t know Z, maybe the Giants did find him a spot. Playing LF for the Padres works for me.

24. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Shit.

• zumiee said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Giants got a little greedy there, and it came back to bite them.

25. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I know I’m running on fumes, it looks like the Giants are as well.

• James said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I’ll forgive them if they half-heartedly do one of those stupid walkoff pogo dances.

26. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Craw making the plays look easy.

27. Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Alright Pagan!!!!!

28. Macdog said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Pa-Game Over!

29. TedSpe said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Phew

• Bozo said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:20 pm

And that’s a wrap

30. twinfan1 said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Big steal after blowing the sac. That’s twice Angel has driven Vungo in with the game winner, the first was against the Rocks after Torres doubled in the eighth.
    Having the extra speed guy for the late innings is working out. Blanco is hitting well, and Vungo’s line drive percentage is over 30 percent, they’ve both hit the ball well. So far our OF has been solid.

31. snarkk said, on April 19, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Well, Torres made a crappy bunt, he’s still not a good bunter as Flemm said, but he made up for it with a steal, no blood and where they wanted to be. Nice job by Pagan for the walk off hit.
    Willie Mays’ wife passed away today. Condolences to #24…

32. snarkk said, on April 20, 2013 at 1:43 am

I just learned that Mrs. Mays was just 74, and had been suffering from Alzheimers for 16 years. That is so young to have that start, and so long to have to deal with it, for all concerned. Having experienced a mother with increasing dementia over the last 7-8 or so years of her life, I sympathize absolutely and totally with Willie. I understand well, I think, something of what he went through, only he stood strong through it for an even longer, longer time, and for his spouse. I’ve said some things about Willie that others have said as well, he could be difficult at times. For 16 years that most surely must have been increasingly hard to deal with; so I can imagine that would cause someone to be a bit difficult at times when outside the home. Today, I say all the best to the Say Hey kid, a champ on the field, and in life…

33. Nipper said, on April 20, 2013 at 4:53 am

Relax it’s early. Cain can get it going. Now some of you I’m worried about. You’re way too serious. Bad for the ticker.