A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Too Many Mistakes and Seconding Guessing Bochy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 25, 2013

I don’t mind losing 2 of 3 but I do care HOW we lose them. Way too many mistakes got made in this series by the Giants. Missing ground balls, losing them in the sun or misplaying them, bad throws—it’s like our guys weren’t totally focused. And speaking of that, what was Casilla thinking when he casually fielded that fair ground ball? How could he have thought it was foul? Wasn’t he focused on warming up for an appearance? And if he truly was watching the play unfold how is it that he was like the ONLY person in the park who thought the ball was foul?

Bochy is the best manager in baseball, that’s nearly a fact. But the best get questioned too, and I want to know why Romo wasn’t out there to start the 9th. When you’re at home, tie game going to the 9th, that’s a standard play. Especially with a closer who is probably a top 3 or 4 closer in all of baseball right now. This gives me a chance to mention Jason Grilli– I’m fascinated with the late blossoming of his career. Out of nowhere he’s become one of the most dominant closer’s in baseball (I know this is really his first full year with the gig but he was equally dominant last year in a set up role)…..but back to the No-Romo thing…….Was he hurt? Hungover? I couldn’t find an answer because not ONE of the beat writers seemed to think this was an important question to get answered. That’s a typical oversight by those guys.

I didn’t really mind Bochy’s decision to leave Bum in the game. He’s a great hitter and he was dominating. But the No-Romo/Yes-Mirares thing? I didn’t get that at all…….

1. Ryan said, on April 25, 2013 at 6:44 am

Great job getting all this traction on this blog. Was hoping the Giants would’ve made an offer to Grill-master in the offseason. Or Mike Adams. A Phillies collapse could put Adams on trade block.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:07 pm

yup, definitely. I’d take Adams this Summer in a heartbeat.

2. Bozo said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:07 am

The only reason I can think of to start Mijares in the Ninth was just match-ups. Montero is a lefty, PH (Wilson) was RH but Gregorius is LH and Parra is LH as well. So that would be my guess. The thing is Gregorius has been on fire, so if I was to second guess, bringing in Romo to face Wilson and Gregorius may had been the way to go or maybe even Lopez to face Para. I still don’t know if it would have changed the outcome.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:08 am

I pointed this out last night. Regardless of matchups, Bochy has always used the closer in the 9th of a tie game at home. There’s only one reason he’s not now- he’s using those occasions to take some workload off of Romo. Early he was used heavily and it showed with two straight outings where he was raked (he got the save in one, but the outs were *loud*). Letting someone else handle the 3 run saves is fine, but if Romo is too tender to handle a normal closer workload, get one who is.

3. Alleykat said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:30 am

Boch called out Pagan after he let that hitter get that hustle double and Pagan was giving props to him for his aggressiveness.Turned out to be the winning run.
    Called it a “Brain Cramp” play especially after the same dude did it to Blanco the game before I believe.
    Never say that shit to the media Angel …Pull your head out of your ass and hustle ,that guy should have “Never” ended up on 2nd to setup the game winner.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:57 am

That remark was way more critical than the one I made that earned me a troll accusation. Your remark is true, but it’s a perfect example of what has become viral here. And it’s time the “moderator” took care of it.
      BTW, it was Torres the night before, not Blanco.

4. Alleykat said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:47 am

Wasn’t Grilli the guy as a rookie who was so cocky that even the “King of Surliness ” Barry Bonds and him almost came to blows in ST camp?

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:53 am

I don’t recall that, but it’s possible. The thing that strikes me about Grilli is that you just don’t see dominant numbers like that surface out of no where in your mid 30’s— he’s probably juiced heavily.

5. Bozo said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:13 am

kat – This was the “brain cramp” quote from Bochy (according to Schulman) “Andres will tell you it’s one thing to lose a ball in the lights, but to start explaining it to (Pagan) while the guy is running, that’s a brain cramp,” Bochy said.

And his quote on the both of the plays (again, according to Schulman) “The outfielders we’ve got probably have to pick it up a little getting the ball back in,” he said. “They’re taking for granted that these guys are going to stop with singles.”

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

Bochy also called Pagan’s a “brain fart”. That was in the Merc blog. They both screwed up. Pagan’s ball was one that should have caught, however.

6. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

I just caught-up with yesterday’s comments (had to split from work early and missed the 10th) and busy last night. There was mention of Pagan sliding over to LF, and there were questions about why not (how many games has he played there, would it bruise someone’s psyche, etc.). I checked it out…Pagan has almost 500 starts in CF and 81 in LF. And I do recall an interview with him, and he said that he definitely feels more comfortable in CF. When he plays smart baseball and doesn’t have a brain fart like he did yesterday (and Torres the day before), then I am okay with the OF being aligned as it is.

The errors over the past couple of games were just so uncharicteristic of the Giants. I don’t expect to see that over the long haul, and think they will get back on track and play some championship-caliber ball. (Friday would be a good time to start doing so.)

Off day today, then off to Dago and Zona. For being early, it is a big road trip, and then the Bums come into town the following weekend, followed by Philly and Hotlanta.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

Any CF can play LF. There’s a bottom line and that’s that Blanco and Torres are better CFers. Maybe they’re worried about his attitude if they moved him to LF.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:55 am

I agree with everything you say, Micheal. Again, from what I have heard, Pagan basically has said that he sees himself as a CFer and is more comfortable there. So my guess is that Bochy has taken that all into consideration in aligning the OF and keeping him there, and the platoon in LF.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Well, I’m sure it’s temporary, but Torres has a better BA, wOBA, wRC+, OPS, and OPS+ than Angel. Angel has a OBP lead. Blanco has the highest OBP of the three. But all the numbers are very close- not great for any of the three, but the platoon has worked out quite well so far and I’m sure that Pagan will rebound from his recent slump, he’s very streaky.
        The offense has been carried by Crawford and Panda to a lesser extent. Buster has come on strong, Pence has been OK, Belt has struggled. Scutaro has been terrible. Three years is already looking like 2 people and one ham- an eternity..

7. twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

As far as Bumgarner starting the 8th , he had thrown less than 100 pitches, looked strong. There was ZERO reason to take him out. Real Troll “Jeff” took the Room B approach- the head slappingiy moronic one that presumes Bochy left him in knowing he’d give up a run.

8. zumiee said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

TF, I appreciated your book suggestions. It’s not clear to me how you thought I would obtain the book and read it in one week, though. I want to read both of those. I’ve got a few ahead of them in my queue at the moment, but I’ll get to them. I highly value a fellow Flapper’s recommendations. I read the Yogi book because a Flapper recommended it.
    And, yes, all the books I put in the “Goodreads” widget are ones I’ve read over the years. When I use an Amazon description at the blog itself, that’s one that I haven’t read yet, a book that’s been recently published, and I just put that out there in case someone is interested also in what’s been recently published.
    The books in the widget are ones that I feel good about recommending, because I did read them. Obviously, there’s no way I can PROVE that I read them, but the widget wouldn’t be much fun for me if I didn’t read them.

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:20 am

I probably never made it clear- I don’t put books in the widget unless I’ve read them myself.

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

Just my 2 cents, but it was always explicitly clear to me that you read these books Zum. Speaking of reading – I feel like Lennie Small in Of Mice And Men, i.e., I will catch up on my reading when I return home.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

I admit I was being bitchy because of your troll comment. I’ve been as complimentary of Pagan’s performance as anybody, and I’ve been as clear as I could ever possibly be that I was wrong about him. Being critical of his defensive play is not being a troll, and “concern troll” is even more offensive as that’s what both of us had called Soph and it suggests that I’m a phony fan- that is very offensive.

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’m sorry I said it, and it doesn’t represent how I see you.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thank you and I’m sorry that I replied as I did.

9. James said, on April 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

Romo is still on pace to throw 80 innings this year. Even in the first week or so, he was not used for more than an inning in a game nor was he used more than 2 games in a row. The loud outs might simply be attributed to the random effect of pitching X number of innings. Romo didn’t pitch the 9th the other day, but he pitched the 10th. He could have pitched a scoreless ninth only to have Machi give up the game winner in the 10th. Just like the decision to keep Bum in, these are marginal choices that have no bearing on season long outcomes.

Romo has been excellent, and if Bochy wants to preserve the handful of 9th innings a closer pitches in a tie game at home, that is hardly a reason to find another closer. OTOH, if Bochy chose to use Casilla as the closer, that would be fine. Again, I think it’s a phony role.

10. twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 11:48 am

Romo *has* been excellent, but some people have legit questions about his long term durabilty based on what has been widely reported about his elbow. Again, since Bochy has always used his closer in the tie situations I’ve described, he’s concerned about his durabilty as well. It’s not an unreasonable concern.

• James said, on April 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Yes, it is a real question. He should probably not throw 80 innings. As I posted earlier, the guys with the high save totals seem to be in the 60-70 IP range for the season. Romo did have 62 IP a couple of years ago.

Romo’s career stats look like the one year numbers for a Cy Young winning starter.

11. Flavor said, on April 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Zumie, I appreciate you clarifying your goodreads role. I asked you to do it and you graciously agreed. And you have done a fantastic job of adding to it over the last few months. After the BBOTD, it might be the best part of the blog. 🙂
    I’m glad you and Twin apologized to each other.
    We hash and re-hash a lot of topics here,some of them are going to inspire a little chirpiness now and again. I like it when all can move on afterwards. Thanks to both of you.

12. Alleykat said, on April 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Think its time for a Flap group hug..
    OK i will start ,arms out to Twin,Zumie to me,BF can moderate the touchy feely man-bro nod of the cap approval.Flap on!!”

13. James said, on April 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Day game followed by a travel day . . . fuckin’ brutal.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

it seems like we’ve had 1 night game over the past 2 weeks…….

• eddacker said, on April 26, 2013 at 12:51 am

fuck you and the night game you rode in on.
        DAY GAME RULE!!

Now back to the group huggz

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

From MLBTR “Selig also weighed in on the DH, saying that “some cataclysmic event” would be needed to keep the bat out of National League pitchers’ hands.”

Some may take comfort in this statement from Bud the snake oil salesman. I take it to mean the DH will soon arrive at an NL park near you and I don’t mean inter-league play.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Bud no doubt intends to provide that cataclysmic event..

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 25, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Anyone else read Zito’s GQ interview? I’m not bothered by the bible or gun talk I just don’t really know what to make of it.

• James said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

The world has become a more insecure place for him since finding his inner Christian. And, despite his notorious contract, he’d still buy a lottery ticket, but only if he knew he’d win. Go Barry!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm

HAHA, nice summary James.

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 9:23 pm

God is one fickle guy- he’s on Kurt Warner’s side yet he abandons Tebow. He gives Zito great Aprils and kicks him aside in May. Now with word that picking up Zito’s option may happen, I have it on good authority the Big Guy isn’t letting it go through unless He gets half for some much needed repairs on the Pearly Gates.

• snarkk said, on April 25, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Where was the Big Guy in the Sky when Zito was reportedly seen going up in that Vegas hotel elevator with a blonde and brunette a few years back? Out getting some rubbers, I guess…

• TedSpe said, on April 25, 2013 at 9:34 pm

A bit presumptious calling God a guy there, twin. And by the way. I heard she’s black

• twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I was going to go with the Big Ho and thought better of it.

16. tedspe said, on April 25, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I got nothing baseballwise to speak right now. Things at work have been really fucked and though I have to really screw up to lose my job, things are just getting really stupid and crazy.
    So I went nuts and ordered DVDs on Amazon.
    And I ordered such films and flics that none of ya’ll would have ever heard of them. But it gives me great pleasure to tell you jamokes the titles cuz they’re funky beyond belief. I ordered:
    Confessions of an Opium Eater
    Ten Little Indians (the 1966 version)
    And in a package deal:
    The Black Cat
    Horror Island
    Captive Wild Woman
    Man Made Monster
    Night Monster

There. I feel better

• James said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Between the sheer awesomeness of “Murder, My Sweet” and “Warlock”, “Captive Wild Woman” made my must see list. Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll ever get through that list, unless the Giants start playing day games exclusively. If I get the chance, I’ll probably enjoy it a lot more than I did “Crossfire.”

17. twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm

For a gallery of Ted’s night of terror go to Page B- “Calvacade of Horror”

18. twinfan1 said, on April 25, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I know Ted surely knows the answer: Lugosi only played Dracula in one other film besides “Dracula”..

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Frankie meets Lou and Abbott Costello?

• blade3colorado said, on April 26, 2013 at 12:57 am

Somethin’ like that (Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein?).

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 7:47 am