A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Giants Playing At Home in San Diego

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 26, 2013

I’m fully expecting that Giants fans take over Petco Park this weekend. If they can turn Wrigley into a home game taking over 80% or so of the seats in San Diego seems like a done deal.

This is a good time to hand San Diego their collective ass. Colorado is going to lose at least 2 of 3 in Arizona this weekend. We need to beat the “6-Win” teams like a drum. I like our rotation of Zito, Timmy and Voggy, I think all three will have strong starts this weekend.

I’d also like to see Pagan bang out a triple or two. He needs to get going.

And please, no more lost or misplayed balls in the outfield. These guys are all good defenders, they need to start playing like they’re good defenders.

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 26, 2013 at 6:50 am

True. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn that a Flapper attends one of the games.

It’s worth noting how we have raised our expectations, as fans of the World Champs (my assumption). I would not be surprised to learn our record at this point, as well as place in the standings, is better than at this point last year.

I miss FerretHead. And MrMrMrMrBillBill.

2. Flavor said, on April 26, 2013 at 7:33 am

And San diggity dawg–he will likely be at a game or two this weekend, maybe we get an update!

3. chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 7:44 am

I miss all those guys (and gal), too (and Wilco Joe, too). Agree…as always, there will be a loud contingent of the orange and black in Dago.

I am less concerned about Pagan, but would more like to see Belt and Scoots get going. And yes…the defense needs to play championship D. These mental farts the last couple of games are not going to cut it.

While the pitching hasn’t been horrible, it hasn’t been stellar, either. Would like to see all the starters go at least 6 (preferably 7 or more), and the bullpen to be its lock-down self.

Will be interesting to see how the yard plays with the fences being moved in.

4. twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 7:45 am

Ferrett has always come and gone. She’s had some problems with her work and perhaps some other issues. I’ll send her an Email. We’re still virtually married. I’ll use the guise of inquiring about her progress on conquering meat loaf…

5. twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 8:25 am

Never too early to start thinking of who our All-Stars might be.
    The fans choose the starting 8. The “player ballot” which includes managers and coaches, chooses 8 position players and 8 pitchers. Bochy will then choose 8 more players and pitchers, insuring that each team has a rep.
    Then Bochy, guided by the baseball commissioner’s office, selects a list of five nominees for the fans to choose from for the remaining roster spot .
    Last year we had Buster, Pablo, and Cabrera selected as starters by the fans. Cain was our only pitcher and we had no reserves.
    This year I see Buster and Pablo repeating as fan selections and Crawford selected as a reserve by either the players or Bochy. Bumgarner and Romo should be shoo-ins as pitchers. Zito has a good chance as a Bochy selection. So I see 5 or 6- as things stand now..

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 8:52 am

Has MLB circumvented the votebot software employed by SF fans last year? This year, Crawford should receive legit votes. Belt, not so much. Posey gets the MVP pass for the next 3. Sandoval’s WS MVP gets him in. There will be far better options other than Zito for Bochy to build the pen of the NL squad. NL is on a roll! Keep it going!

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:25 am

If Zito gets through June with 7 wins or so and an ERA south of 3.50, he’ll be in whether one thinks he deserves it or not. Bochy will reward him for his postseason if nothing else.

• chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:33 am

Was there legit proof that software was used to stuff the ballots last year?

I agree with Twin re: Zito.

• xoot said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:30 am

People inside the Giants organization competed for vacation prizes, etc., as they worked to stuff the ballot boxes. The specific techniques employed remain veiled. Remember Crawford making a last minute run to be the starting SS? The AS selection process sucks. And personally, apart from Pablo’s first inning triple (as prelude to the WS confrontations with Verlander) I’d just as soon forget all details of the 2012 game–except the outcome. Home field advantage for the NL team in the WS is good for baseball and even better for the NL team.

6. Alleykat said, on April 26, 2013 at 8:27 am

Yes Ferret ,is one special gal! Miss ya..
    And you too Wilco Joe..Hookem Longhorns!!!

7. chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 8:47 am

George Jones passes. RIP.

• James said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:28 am

I may put together a variation of this in his honor tonight:

GJ’s ode to unhappy mixologists everywhere will definitely get some play tonight. The only cool thing James Taylor ever did besides star in “Two Lane Blacktop” . . . which is, admittedly, 2 more cool things than I’ve ever done.

• chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:34 am

Holy shit! My hair (not to mention other body parts) are on fire just reading the recipe! Weeeee Doggies – come big or stay at home!

• snarkk said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

George deserves a salute just for being married once or twice to Tammy.
        Talk about fighting like cats and dogs.
        The Grim Reaper visited George many times, but always left alone, he wanted to hear more tunes.
        Well, this time the Reaper had heard enough, and George “Stopped Lovin’ Her Today”…

8. ryanfoothills said, on April 26, 2013 at 8:57 am

Do other teams fans get tired of SF fans overtaking their ballpark? Is there an obnoxious factor?

San Diego will not be a cake walk. Giants O not exactly tearing it up and SD has Quentin and Headley in middle of lineup. Don’t let Jesus Guzman beat you either. No easy task, our pitchers will have to be on top of their game with Lincecum setting tone for series.

Colorado losing means AZ starting to rack up wins. Behind solid pitching. They are executing The Formula and not even at full strength. Looks like good competition to me.

• chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:40 am

The Giants offense may not be tearing it up, but they aren’t exactly sucking, either. They have shown a propensity to come-back this year (something they rarely did in past recent years). While they are not hitting a ton of HRs (hey, that wasn’t their recipe for success in winnging 2 WS in 3 years, either), they are 2nd in the NL in BA, 6th in OBP, and 7th in runs. If the offense continues to play as they have (and can get a few key knocks W/RISP) then it is on the pitching to keep us in the games. I don’t see any reason that the G-men can’t take 2 of 3 in Dago if they play to their capabilities.

• chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:41 am

And curiuos, what is up with the two screen names?

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:10 am

WordPress screename vs. username issue. Let’s see if I can’t get that squared away.

9. twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:21 am

I haven’t heard from any credible source that AZ will not be strong competition. Forget the Rockheads, and while the Padres are better than their record and have a very good manager, they figure at best to challenge for third with the Bums and CO. It figures now to be a two team race since the Dodger pitching staff has been so hard hit -and with Hanley out maybe the worst left side of the infield since, well, since forever.
    “Do other teams fans get tired of SF fans overtaking their ballpark?” Who cares what they think? Fill it up yourselves or put your Giants’ cap on and join the party..

• chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 9:43 am

Yeah, I think Zona with be the toughest competition in the West. And on us filling up the oppositions yards…who gives a flying fuck what the other cities think of the Orange and Black Nation over-running their yard.

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:14 am

Nevermind just competition – Giants may be chasing them the rest of the way after this season. Love their pitching and their depth is an asset that has helped them get out of gate strong. How about Didi Gregorius at SS. If he’s legit and doesn’t go Dee Gordon, I think that will had some W’s to record and make it tougher for Giants. Any injury to a Giants pitcher or Sandoval could really set back the Gigantes. Some of the rotation woes and absence of depth are a legitimate concern.

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:17 am

*** after this weekend

– not season

Big series. Already geeked up for the Lincecum / Goldschmidt matchup. How far will it fly? Or will Lincecum finally back him off the plate.

-so far I think I’ve got the name thing squared away, eh Michael?

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

• snarkk said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:35 am

Any injury to any starting pitcher and their starting 3rd sacker would make it tougher for any team, I should think. Ask the LA Dodgers…

10. twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:33 am

Everyone here knows who I am, Feets.

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:48 am

Gee Mike, I had your back on the merc, have interacted well with you there also – and thought of you as a good knowledgeable contributor there. Maybe you should be more welcoming. Just here to talk baseball:

Hanley on a Single A rehab assigment. Ryu stepping up. Something tells me the Dodgers won’t get buried. Snarkk, I mentioned that about Sandoval b/c I still see him as an injury risk with the floating bodies in elbow – and Giants did not come into season with 6th and 7th starters capable of stepping up- unless you like Bonser & Petit.

• Flavor said, on April 26, 2013 at 10:56 am

ignore that fairly rude welcoming. You can post here anytime and talking baseball is what we do.

• snarkk said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

I’ve mentioned here before the possible problem with Panda’s elbow. It is what it is. He either makes it through the season without the bone chips causing recurring issues, or he doesn’t. Giants are willing to wing it, so that’s that. Everybody knows the Giants have crap backup in AAA if one of their starters goes down. Other teams are in the same position, they’ll deal with it if/when something happens. Maybe go outside the system, or use Gaudin maybe…

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

by crap backup, do you man an OF playing 3B?

• chipower9 said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I second that…you have made some legit posts. Welcome Ryan…and it does appear you got the multi-screen name issue ironed-out.

11. twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Whatever, you’ll see.

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

So long as you’ve an open mind, we’re good! It’s hard to get by the guard dog here. Should’ve brought treats;-)

12. Flavor said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:06 am

Ryan, I’ve read the bloggers at the merc, rarely participate though. Maybe you can explain why they all want to post “first”– it’s a competition I don’t really understand

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:24 am

No comment on that. A bit of identity and moderation histrionics at the moment.

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 11:35 am

Yeah, now there are morons saying I’m using multiple screen names and that Pav busted me on it-all of which are flat out motherfucking lies. I’ve tweeted him on this , we’ll see if he has the decency to straighten it out. I’m not holding my breath .

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I made my own bed in that blog a long time ago. How’s it feel to be judged in the virtual realm? As a dual citizen, what are your selling points for each blog? Eff bombs a-okay ain’t so bad .

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Alex has tweeted me back a couple times. As anybody who knows me should be aware, I don’t need multiple screen names. It wasn’t me,
        Compare the the blogs? No way I’m going there.

13. eddacker said, on April 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

i had AZ picked as my dark horse this year – lots of young talent on that team; not to be taken lightly (as if anyone would).
    I have been a Mike Adams fan for a couple of years now. Would welcome him here. The Cain thing is baffling, but I expect Belt and Scutaro to turn in some numbers this year. The ship SFGs seems headed in the right direction. and only 140 games to go. Seems like ST was only yesterday.

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Some Nat’l writer had them for the WS. Vegas odds were about 1:50 before the season and it was noted that this would’ve been a great place to drop a C-note. Better than a blackjack table.

14. Alleykat said, on April 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Twin..the credible source about the D-backs is me.I have them second behind us this year in are predictions.Of course I have very little credibility.

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I don’t follow- I’m saying they ARE serious competition, Like you do. At least that’s what I think I’m saying. Who knows anymore?

15. blade3colorado said, on April 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

When the Flap did their predictions before the season, I think I went on a limb and had SD surprising everyone with a wild card entry. I had LA behind AZ and the Rocks (no brainer) in last. Almost one month into the season – still way too early – the Dbacks look good right now, but anything can happen between now and September. In my mind, nothing has changed me from believing that everyone will be chasing the GMen at the end of the season.

16. salty said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm

There’s always the deadline period when teams start shedding pricey contracts. I fully expect LA will go out and acquire a quality SP now that Billingsley is down. Money again won’t be an issue.

• unca_chuck said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I sure hope they go after more breakable pitchers. Their model is unsustainable once the seats empty out down the stretch in La La.

• blade3colorado said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Yeah, to date – the Dodgers haven’t been acquiring “quality” starting pitching, much less anything having to do with the word quality. Give the Dodger GM Coletti a sterling baseball card and he’ll bite. Screw the fine print or what the player has done recently. If the player has a cool name like HanRam, the Dodgers are all over that shit.

17. blade3colorado said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Interesting that the Padres are starting Andy Cashner, a reliever, against Lincecum. I saw this kid last year at a game with my cousin. My cuz and I like to get to the park early and this kid Cashner and Huston Street are playing long toss – starting close to each other and then extending the distance between each of them. Cashner made Street look silly. Cashner had an easy throwing motion with a deadly laser that reached Street’s glove each time. This was especially noticeable when Cashner was throwing to the left center field wall from the 1st base line. Conversely, Street’s throws were bounce, bounce, bounce by this point in the long toss. Too frickin’ funny. Anywho, it will be interesting to see if he goes beyond 80 pitches (as he did in his 1st start).

• Ryan said, on April 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Cashner is just a reliever in name only. They should have every intention of stretching him out into a starter. Looks like opportunity has knocked and he can work harnessing pitches other than his blazing fastball and getting MLB hitters out for the second and third time through lineup.

18. twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Dirrty is out without retiring a hitter. I fear that may be it for him.

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I guess he was ejected for throwing at Craig- I just watched it and it was at the head. With Dirrty you never know because of his command issues but the first 3 hitters were HR-HR -Basehit. He had to be tossed.

• Flavor said, on April 26, 2013 at 6:20 pm

He doesn’t ever give in to a hitter (a stupid approach to stick to after the league adjusted to him a couple of years ago). He knows where the ball is going– those are 2 different things.
        He fuckin threw at his head and he should be suspended– not that it’ll matter. This was his last start unless the Pirates can’t scrap an un-dead off their AAA roster to replace him

• twinfan1 said, on April 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I don’t dispute that- I said he had to be tossed and I posted on the Mercury blog that it’s probably it for him,
        There’s no argument here.