A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

2013 Surprises in Major League Baseball

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 7, 2013

A little over a month into the season, I’m going to list off the players who have surprised me this year. I’m just going across the stat lines and seeing what jumps out at me:

Stolen bases: Juan Pierre. It’s not surprising that he’s leading the league. It’s surprising that he keeps finding enough playing time to do this at his age. He has a single redeemable skill (as a base stealer) and despite how old he gets he keeps on gettin’ that done.

HR’s: the top 3 HR guys in MLB are Justin Upton, Mark Reynolds and John Buck. (12, 10, 10).

RBI’s: Miggy and Prince being 1/2 in RBI’s (36, 32). How does Detroit ever lose a game?

Batting Average: Carlos Gomez hitting .368 with a 1.059 OPS.

ERA: Jake Westbrook leading all of MLB with a 1.07 ERA? Westbrook sucks, how is he doing this?

My current favorite hitter (non Giant) and pitcher (non Giant):

Starlin Marte: hitting .325 with 5 bombs and 10 sb’s, he’s one of the only bright spots in an incredibly shitty line up. He’s the next “Andrew McCutchen”

Hishashi Iwakuma!!!: I can’t say his name without at least 3 exclamation points after it. This dude is just reliably, dominantly consistent. 1.61 ERA, 0.76 WHIP. And that’s in spite of a blister he’s fought through all season long.

My favorite add: Nolan Arenado–I can’t believe I was able to pick this dude up in all 5 of my leagues.

__________________________________

So what’s surprising you so far this season?

1. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:11 am

Two rookie names – Jean Segura, SS (I picked up in my Yahoo league a couple of weeks ago) and Marcell Ozuna, outfielder. Both are raking and Segura might be an all star selection. Ozuna was playing lights out in the minors and Stanton got injured, so he was called up. No idea if he is going to get playing time when Stanton returns, but he can play and will be in MLB for quite some time.

Anibal Sanchez is finally coming into his own and Wainwright is Wainwright again. In my fantasy leagues, I have Goldschmidt, Tulo, and Wright – all are playing good. Same deal with Rizzo (who can’t crack one of my lineups and is playing utility).

2. Peter Krug said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:30 am

Lookey here, who is tied in first place for rotisserie?????

And I have Goldschmidt in our league Blade:) But I love Marte. I think he is in all 4 of my opther fantasy teams. Machado is also going to end up with a big year. Future superstar I think.

Pence is also playing beyond what I expected and who has him in our rotisserie????? Giant Head!

• Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:41 am

I advised Kevin to pick up Segura and I’m still awaiting proper props for that tip.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

I offered a trade for Segura and I bet dollars to donuts you advised him to nix it. LOL. He is lucky to have you in his corner.

• Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:43 am

and GH, congrats, it looks like your re-tooling worked. How’s the view from up there? Must beat last year when you had “front row movie theater seats” 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:48 am

LMFAO. Now that is a back handed compliment if I ever heard one. 🙂

• gianthead said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:11 am

I think I was second to last earlier this season and things started finally coming together…will be a long, long season…

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:56 am

GH, I am surprised you didn’t mention Carlos Santana – HE WAS A PUKE LAST YEAR AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIGHTS OUT. This year he is finally doing what everyone predicted for him last year. In my opinion, he is a way bigger difference maker on your team if only because he plays catcher.

3. gianthead said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

I have Santana on a couple other teams as well, that was my GM of thee Year pick! I am still trying to get over the Warrior sloss last night…it was like the bad old days with the Giants blowing a playoff game like Game 3 in Miami in 2003 when Cruz dropped that frickin fly ball…ugh!!!

How did Mark Jackson not a call time out before the end of regualtion with the game tied????

4. twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’d have to look at theTO situation, I don’t recall if they had one. But there’s a good chance that Mark Jackson was busy praying for a win instead of helping make it happen…
    Another unexplainable development as the Spurs came back late in the 4th quarter was Bogut not defending the basket. He stood motionless as Spurs blew by as if he thought he had Ronnie Lott for deep help..

5. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:38 am

Bozo, I know you weren’t interested in a trade at the moment, however, you expressed interest in Freeman and he is available. I sent you an offer.

• Bozo said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:02 am

Blade, I’ll give you this, you are relentless. I saw the offer and I need to think about it.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

If you want to massage the proposal, feel free to counter.

6. twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 9:09 am

I don’t get too surprised by much, I’ll just go with early season awards, Giants’ version:
    Gamer Dude : no question whatsoever: Panda
    April MVPs: 4 way tie; Crawford, Panda, MadBum, Romo
    Best Moment: Quiroz walk-off

Misc:
    Baggs already talking about going after Cliff Lee at the deadline. Maybe has ideas on what to do before then. Vogie and Timmy are now officially major concerns. Bulletin for Timmy and Bochy: 10 hits, no walks is not encouraging on any level. It’s the worst possible development on his possible comeback…

Belt: the way to get out of the 8 spot just may not be to suck there… or maybe it is.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 7, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hamilton’s slow start and lack of offense has been mildly suprising to me but he’s been trending downward since last year. Glad I traded him off at the Flap FL.

Interesting post from Verducci about winter free agent signings leading to spring gloom.

• Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hamilton has been swinging at everything for about a year. After he hit 18 bombs in the first month of the 2012 season, pitchers just started throwing him shit out of the zone and away and to their delight, he kept hacking at them. He’s a dumbshit who isn’t interested in adjusting.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

I had him in FL two years ago and he sucked salty nutz then too. The Angels just strike me as a loser this year and no amount of offense will change that.

Scutaro’s sloppy play at 2b has surpised me a bit. I don’t have a running count but it seems like he has booted at least 3-4 DPs in the last week.

8. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:13 am

Brett Lawrie is a surprise this year as well, I thought he would be ascending new heights this season and he flat out sucks.

9. twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

Today from the Hit List:
    “Alex Rodriguez’s injury rehab will consist of gradually larger minor league crowds booing him whatever he does.”..
    “It took only 55 fewer appearances but Fernando Rodney already matched 2012’s earned run total.”
    “How many chores did you get done during Trevor Cahill’s triple?”
    “The best place to watch a game at Petco Park is inside Andrew Cashner’s beard.”
    “You still can’t disprove the theory that Pablo Sandoval is two Cirque du Soleil acrobats stuffed into one jersey.”

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

LMAO…good ones, Michael…

10. chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:19 am

Well, I didn’t think the Bums would take the world (or the NL West) by storm, but I also did not expect to see them cellar-dwelling. Given their issues with injuries, I suppose it is only a mild surprise. And we’re only 30 or so games into the schedule, so it is early. Lots of shit can still happen to any team.

I saw the article that Twin mentions about the Giants possibly going after Lee at the deadline. Here’s the link:

So, the Giants are paying Tim/Zito 42 mil this year. Timmy is due to be a FA (as is Vogey, although the Giants have an option on Vogey at 6.5 mil with a 0.3 buyout).

Giants also have an option on Zito (18 mil, 7 mil buyout).

The questions on Lee are: He is 35. He is signed for another two years at 25 mil per. There is a 2016 option at 27.5 with a 12.5 buyout. Also, if the Phillies “were” interested, what would they want in return (prospects).

Lee and Zito combined next year would be 43 mil (about what the Giants are paying Tim/Zito this year).

So, if the Phillies “were” interested, and they did not want the farm (top prospects), would you consider a deal for Lee?

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

Fuck no. Nevertheless, Timmy will be shopped THIS SEASON, just not for an insane deal involving Lee. I will start praying to the baseball Gods that Sabean hangs up the phone on the Phils GM if he calls up proposing that imbecillic deal (IMO).

• salty said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:38 am

Yeah I’d hope they could find an younger cheaper alt. No guarantees as they learned with Beltran. Phil’s would likely want at least one top pitching prospect. And I figure the Dodgers and others would be driving up the price.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

Yeah, in my mind – I think Baggs is either experimenting with cocaine or it’s just a slow news day.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:50 am

Well, when you look at his ERA and WHIP over the last 4, 5 years, etc. he really has pitched well (record notwithstaning). The money for Lee and Zito (name your starting pitcher to pair him with) is the same as is being paid to Tim/Zito this year. It would basically be for a couple of years until our young arms are ready.

Again, if the Phils would take some mid-level prospects, I don’t think is an “insane/no fucking way” deal. But, just my opinion…

Plus, as the article stated, most of his starts would be in our yard (or other spacious yards in the NL West). I think he could thrive on the Giants…again, just my opinion.

And if you didn’t do a deal at the deadline for Lee, what other options are there for a top-line starter? Any suggestions?

• twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:36 am

Chi: as I inferred ,we may need help well before July 31. As to Lee, can we just give the Phils Frandsen? Oh.. what about Tanaka? Bond? All of the shitty defensive middle infielders in the system?
      OK, seriously. How about Hector and a reliever, maybe Bochy.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

I seriously think it (Lee) an interesting proposition. It really comes down to what the Phillies would want. If they want top prospects, then all bets are off (in my opinion, but then I don’t have a direct line to Sabean, Evans and Tidrow, either). But, if they would take a couple of mid-level guys and be more happy with dumping the salary, then I think it something that Sabean and crew would have to give serious consideration.

And you are right, the Giants may very well need help with starters before the trade deadline. Anyway, looking at all the salaries, options, etc., it is all interesting to me.

11. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

This is the Kansas City Royals Surprise Category – Whatever happened to Moustakas? Hosmer? These were “can’t miss” players and they still haven’t done jack shit.

12. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 am

Not surprised, but just happy that the Dogs are in the cellar.

13. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but one of the trade versions Baggs was thinking out loud about were our outstanding pitching prospects (all in the lower minor leagues). In my mind, those ducats are gold, not silver. Consequently, this is the reason I think it’s insanity to even entertain such a trade (especially with the cupboard empty of pitchers at the higher minor league levels). Couple that with Lee’s age, it really becomes a no no. Look, I understand that he has been lights out against the Giants the last couple of years and is especially good at the Phone Park. It would be our luck to throw the dice and Ol’ 35 (soon to be 36) Lee turns out to be crap . . .

Chi, to me – this is another insane version of signing a pitcher for 20-25 million annually for anything over 3 years. I said fuck no for the Timmy 8 year deal him and his agent were proposing and grudgingly nodded ok for his current 2 year deal. The 2 year deal worked out only because Timmy was excellent in the playoffs and WS relief role. Otherwise, he’s been the shits. To me, Lee is an old 35. Last, but not least – Baggs forgot to mention the 2010 WS, where he gave up 7 runs (6 earned) against Timmy, losing 11-7 to us. Oh, he also had a chance to redeem himself in the deciding game 5 WS, but choked, giving up the 3 run HR to Renteria. Nuff said about Mr. Lee IMO.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:26 am

Well, looking at his stats over his career, and the recent 2-3 years, I would say he is a young 35. And it would be a two year deal (with that 12.5 buyout a hard pill to swallow). I am not saying YES…let’s lock and load on this…just that it may warrant consideration. The ONLY definitive for our rotation next year is Cain and Madison. If the team decides to pony up 18 mil for Zito, then you have 3 of the 5. Vogey is a ???, but an option at 6.5 mil. That still leaves a hole (if Timmy is not brought back).

And NO WAY I would give up top pitching prospects (that was clear in all of my earlier posts). I just think there may be something worth looking at…not saying you have to do it, but I don’t think it is a “NO FUCKING WAY” deal.

As is always the case here…it is only opinions, and we can agree to disagree.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

True about disagreeing. 🙂

The reason I say old is because of the two stints on the DL (2007 and 2011 or 2012 – can’t remember). He had a groin injury in one and an oblique in the other. Not arm injuries, but I just think as one ages, the injuries will occur with more frequency. This is supposedly the post PED era (HAHAHAHAHA), so whatever he is taking to keep his performance at a high level, I hope he does a good job of avoiding the drug police. 🙂

I hate to say this, but Vogey may be finished. Small sample size and we have given two frickin’ seasons for Timmy to turn it around, but Vogey has given up 12 runs in the last 9 innings, while allowing 4 HRs. WTF? In any event, I hope he can turn it around – if he can’t – then I say trade him too.

• twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

Vogie wouldn’t bring much. Neither will Timmy anymore. They’re really just sunken cost if they don’t turn it around, *IMO*. Really, despite the nice 5 weeks, we’re in trouble if at least one of them doesn’t get going.Quiroz can only take us so far 😉

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:58 am

Steve – since 2005, Lee has thrown 200+ innings every year except one. I still believe him to be a young 35 as opposed to a old 35.

Michael, as our beloved (or not) Soph used to say…”you are spot on.” If at least one of the trio (Zito, Vogey, and Tim) doesn’t pick it up, we are certainly in trouble. I include Zito because while his ERA is not too shabby, his WHIP and BB/K ratio are warning flags right now.

And snarkk, I agree…NO TOP PROSPECTS are part of ANY considered deal. If the Phillies eat some salary, then yeah, I definitely think it worth talking about.

And look, I’m not saying it is a great deal, but with so many uncertainties now and for next year, if the components (prospects/money) are right…then you should at least kick the tires.

14. twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

If it was one or the other, Lee vs. Zito is a total no brainer. Enjoy the surf, Barry…

15. snarkk said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:46 am

I can’t see paying $25 million a year for 2 years of a 36 to 38 year old in Lee, plus good prospects. No way. Phills take back half his salary, then start negotiations from there…

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:59 am

It’s still too early to conclude where this starting staff is headed. Voggy is the most concerning. He’s basically had nothing since last August, except for the upward blips in the playoffs. His age is where this kind of thing doesn’t get better without “help”, which supposedly is being tested for these days. He’s constantly up in the zone, his pitches are pretty flat. He’s a feel good story, but that can’t let reality get in the way. If he continues to get hammered through May, it’s trouble time and maybe a stint on the DL for (insert arm issue) but there’s nobody at AAA that’s moving the needle…

• twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I originally brought up Lee as a conversation starter, mission accomplished. Of course it’s too early to see where things are headed, but it’s not too early to start thinking of what we’ll advise Sabean to do…that’s what we’re here for.

16. blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:55 am

This is the problem with being a Giants fan – Twin brings up an excellent point about Tim and Ryan not being worth a half dozen snot rockets at their current level of play. However, I bet quite a few Flappers (as intelligent as we all seem to be) would have “rose colored glasses” on if Timmy and Ryan came back gangbusters in the next few games, i.e., talk of extensions, multi-million dollar contracts, etc., etc., would occur. In my mind, you still get rid of them – for different reasons. Timmy because NO PITCHER is worth 20-25 million dollars for more than 2-3 years. Ryan because I suspect that he is a feel good story that hit lightening in a bottle last year and I wish him the best, but sell him high while we have a chance. Anywho, that’s my opinion of this situation.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Tim I could definitely see cutting ties with (no way he gets 20+). Vogey, at 6.5 (the current option the Giants have on him) I could see if he turns it around rest of the year.

If NO PITCHER is worth 20-25 mil for more than 2-3 years, does that mean the Giants got hosed when they signed Cain (20.8 through 2017 with a 21 mil option in 2018/7.5 mil buyout)? The point I will make is that if the Giants didn’t land him for that money (and length of contract) someone (perhaps even the hated Bums) would have. The economics of the times shows you WILL pay that coin over a number of years for a top pitcher (or you will have a shit rotation, unless your staff is completely home-grown).

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I was silent on that signing (or at least I don’t recall saying anything negative or positive on it). You bring up a good point though – If ever there was an exception, I would have given the nod to Cain. The reason being that not only is his nick “Horse,” but he pitches like it too (durable). I just have a problem with long term contracts for pitchers. Remember, we have never won a World Series with an Ace free agent. We’ve won two with “home grown.” I would much rather do it that way. Of course, eventually some of your home growners become expensive free agents. 🙂

• snarkk said, on May 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Cain is not worth his contract in an objective sense. In the market, he is, so that’s what he got. He’s a very good pitcher, not a great pitcher. Like anybody else,. towards the mid to end of his LT deal, it will look silly. Maybe it already is looking that way…

17. Macdog said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:58 am

Tonight’s Philly starter, Kyle Kendrick, is somewhat of a surprise: 3-1, 2.43 ERA, with five strong outings after a rocky opening start. But as my ESPN fantasy league notes: “There’s cause for concern, though — his FIP and xFIP are more than a full point higher than his ERA, and with just a .262 BABIP against and 86.6 percent of runners stranded, there are signs that this hot start is going to be hard to sustain.” Let’s hope that starts tonight.

Not surprised there was something of a letdown last night after more than two weeks of games vs. the NL West, and almost all of them high-intensity nail-biters. So here comes the sub-.500 Phils fresh off two losses to the Marlins and, combined with a pitcher who usually throws well at Phone Park, you get something like a 6-2 loss.

As for Buck: Most Mets fans I know are hoping they trade the guy and get something for him before he fails a drug test.

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Interesting comment and good information regarding Kendrick. He was available on one of my FL leagues and I picked him up this week. Hmm, wondering if I should bench him tonight. I had overlooked his game with SF this evening and your comments, coupled with going against my team, doesn’t sound like a good combo. I may drop him back to the waiver wire. I should have known there was a reason why he was available. Ha.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 7, 2013 at 11:58 am

Philies have only been getting older since the Giants’ smack down in 2010. I don’t know about their minor league system but Brown and Mayberry haven’t exactly been lighting it up. If they go into sell mode why they would take mid level prospects?

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Dirt – who knows what they “might” take (in the way of prospects) if they go into sell mode. But I am saying if the Giants kick the tires, top prosepects should not be in the equation (and I hope like hell that Sabes and crew feel the same).

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I’m sure Sabean will do his due diligence. I just don’t think Phillie will go for anything but a premium. If they do sell they’ll probably be looking to move Howard, Utley, Rollins, Young, Lee and maybe Hammel. Any team that is close and looking to boost their chances at the PS will be in on a potential deal. I would hope SF will just stay the course with internal solutions and low cost external adds.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Your take (staying the course with internal soluctions and low cost external adds) is the preferred method for me, too. But, there are no internal options for starters this year (and next year is a crap shoot with the young guns). Low cost additions may help. But, I was more making the point that Sabean should at check it out (and I am sure he will).

19. Alleykat said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I predicted Vogy with a losing record for the season and an era over 4.50 ,so far he’s even worse then I expected.Then again I had Cain with 18 wins.

20. unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I attibute yesterday’s loss to the lack of a BBOTD.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I agree, Chuck. BRING BACK THE BBOTD!

• blade3colorado said, on May 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Anna, the skank realtor? I think she deserves a break. Realtor by day, working the city streets at night, and being a Flap mascot is quite a bit to ask of her. She gets paid for the other two jobs and we expect her to work pro bono.* Interesting. 🙂

* I love the latin phrase “pro bono.” Sounds X rated for some reason.

• xoot said, on May 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm

sometimes the entire phrase is misstated as pro bono publicum, probably because that final syllable adds something to the mental image.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Well, I was not necessarily referring to Anna (but we may need her services later in the year – think Rally Thong in 2010), but was more thinking BBOTD in general. Some are ABSOLUTE BABES (I am thinking of an Asian lass’s picture that I believe was provided by Paul in Asia), and some…well, let’s just say that Craig keeps us on our toes (you never know what you’ll see when hitting the BBOTD page).

Pro Bono? Damn…all these years I thought the term was Pro BONER. DOH!

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Surprises? To have a surprise, you have to have an expectation. I don’t know. Mildly surprised that Pablo is doing as well as he has or that Cain has the stats he has, though these things even out. Lemme see. Mildly surprised that Toronto is that bad or Boston is that good. As for individuals, I’m a poor judge. My fantasy team sinks lower with every move I make or don’t make.

22. Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Happ injury had a brutal sound to it. Hope he’s ok.
    I don’t know if it’s a tan or what, but Tim looks like an adult to me today. But in a good way

23. Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I can live with Scoots struggling with the bat for a while, but his glove has been shit this year. He HAS to come up with that ball, it wasn’t that hard of a play

• twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm

“Shit” is kind. You must be in a good mood.

• Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’m very rarely in a bad mood, as anyone who knows me will attest.

24. Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Timmy pitched fantastic that inning. Most of his balls were fantastic takes, he had velocity and he k’d the side.
    I know he threw 30+ pitches, but I thought it was one of his best innings this year

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm

plus nice tan lines, I gather [DJLoo imitation line, but a paltry imitation]

25. Flavor said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:39 pm

So….I would not call the second inning as one of his best this year….

26. James said, on May 7, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I am not convinced that the “valuable knowledge” AB has its purported effect.

27. Bozo said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Get some runs now Giants.

28. Bozo said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Crap.

29. twinfan1 said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Tim had a 94 and 92’s and 93’s in the first. Now he’s 88/89.

• xoot said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:52 pm

He threw a 91 mph 2-seamer in the 6th, but he’s down in general. Vogelsong, however, was way down with no signs of life after the 4th the other night. Lincecum’s problems seem to be a continuation of last year. Vogelsong’s problems are new.

30. zumiee said, on May 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’m most surprised by the Red Sox/Yankee axis of evil so far. I was expecting them both to struggle this season, and it still may happen, but….we’ll see. For what it’s worth, Melky’s hitting in the .250s so far for Toronto. About what we expected. I never much bought into the pundits’ love of Toronto in the pre-season. I thought Baltimore would find a way to get it done, and maybe they still will.

31. snarkk said, on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

The new normal Giants starters quality start: 7 innings, 5 runs….