A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Mr. Vogelsong, Where Have you Gone?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 10, 2013

Trying to search for positives, he did have 7 strike outs in 4.1 innings.

But again, it was another poor pitching performance and is it time to start officially freaking out about Voggy?….Assuming, of course, that freaking out is something you’re prone to doing.

His BABIP is .367 this season and that’s awfully high. If you think that’s coming down, maybe you hold off on getting your freak-out on.

Voggy’s turning 36 this July and he put a lot of miles on that arm traveling around the globe trying to make it back to the major leagues. He’s says he’s going to come out of this:

“I’ve been here before and come through the other side and I will again”.

Well, we all hope you do, Ryan. The Giants don’t really have any other options other than to skip his turn and hope he “bullpen session’s” himself out of this funk.

I’m holding off on freaking out. I believe in Voggy. He’s just a man who’s lost his chainsaw. He’s sprinkling sugar on his cereal instead of rusty nails. But I believe he’s gonna get

all of that back.

1. willedav said, on May 10, 2013 at 7:24 am

This is way too reminiscent of TL last year—good stretches of pitching often with a bunch of Ks, and then in one inning he loses it and balls get smacked around the far corners of the yard. Looking for the positives in a game without good final results became the weekly scenario. 10 baserunners in 4 and a third isn’t good.
    There always seemed to be some bad luck (alongside the high BABIP) involved in TL outings too, and McCann’s HR last night just made it over–if that had hit off the wall maybe no one scores and he gets out of it. Scut didn’t help matters either, and that wound up with mijares being charged with two inherited runners scoring and Vogs ERA taking another hit.

I think before last year B. James projections had Vogs ERA at 4.00-ish. Obviously it will take a few good outings to get back down to that. It never happened for TL last year. We’ll see about Vogs…..

2. willedav said, on May 10, 2013 at 7:46 am

Something else I saw that bothered me last night (along with Belt in the 8 spot again not facing LHP) was two different idiot fans sitting first row touching a live ball in play. That shit is wrong, and makes real Giants fans look bad.

3. Bozo said, on May 10, 2013 at 8:00 am

Didn’t you mean, Mrs. Vogelsong, Where Have you Gone?

• Flavor said, on May 10, 2013 at 8:38 am

I didn’t want to bring it up in the main thread but I, too, wonder where she’s gone.

• twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 9:01 am

Probably looking for an upgrade.

4. salty said, on May 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

He still has the best sneer in the game.

• snarkk said, on May 10, 2013 at 11:09 am

I think the fans are starting to sneer at his starts. From him, less sneer, more outs…

5. chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 9:19 am

Well, I am trying real hard to follow the words of the immortal Humm Baby himself, Roger Craig, and say “Don’t get your Dauber Down.” My bud Demp28, sent me a link from an article in the Chron (some of you maybe saw it), and it mentions that last year Vogey had a stretch (7 games from August through September) where he had a 10.31 ERA with six homers, and he eventually settled down over the final three regular season games and went undefeated in the playoffs. So, I am hopeful that he can turn it around again this year.

Cainer’s last few starts have been encouraging, and I think he’ll be fine over the long haul.

Timmy? What a conundrum. I sure hope he can get it together and provide more quality starts than not.

Sabean may have to work his ass off between now and the trade deadline if things do not improve for one or all of these guys.

While being a realist, I also try to be optimistic. I think when it is all said and done, the Giants will be there at the end of the year. Bochy, his staff, Sabean and his, the players…they will find a way to get it done. It may be time for Mrs. Vogelsong to adjust that enchilada recipe.

Here is the link to the Vogey article:

Cainer tonight against Hudson. Hope to see Matty work it the way he did against the Bumbinos in his last start.

Hudson has been pretty damned good in 7 starts…3.83/1.13 (ERA/WHIP).

Stop the Chop!

6. chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 9:21 am

While the overall record is good, the G-men have dropped three of their last four. Certainly no time to panic and bring Anna back (we may need her later in the season), but I think bringing back the BBOTD could bring some good mojo…just saying…

7. willedav said, on May 10, 2013 at 9:22 am

I think Kawakami is wrong about lee and Ws being better without him in playoffs. What Lee brings is another consistent inside scoring threat—like Landry he is mid range accurate shooter and he can attack the basket (and score with either hand) and hit elbow J off pick and pop. While not much of a defender he can rebound his position.
    If SA goes small, you can play front line of Green (who does not yet have inside game/post moves) and Lee (plus the 3 guards) and still have better rebounding than with Barnes and Landry, both of whom I like a lot. He is also way better FT shooter, a liability of Bogut that costs him end of game PT. Just imo.

• chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 10:06 am

Not to sound all brash based on two games against the Spurs, but I am really not too worried about this series. Dubs are home for two. They basically have blown out SA twice now (lost one – that never should have happened), and they have the BEST home court advantage with their crowd. I have confidence in Jackson to make the right moves and have his squad ready to play.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 10, 2013 at 9:54 am

It seems like a distant memory when Theriot and Burris were manning 2b before Scutaro last season. Was Bill Hall on the roster too or what that 2011? I can’t remember but whatever.

With 5 errors so far Scutaro is in the top five for errors by starting second baseman according to ESPN stats. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 that should have been handled and a DP turned to kill a rally or end an inning. Lincecum and Vogelsong’s struggles aren’t due to his poor fielding but he isn’t doing them any favors. Scutaro needs to hit .350 is he’s going to boot the ball around the infield as he has done early this season.

• chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 10:13 am

I was going to mention Scoots errors. I am hoping he turns it around. Remember how Crawford started the year last year (horrendous). This is a mild concern…certainly not anything where I believe they need to consider a change at this point.

Speaking of Crawford, he has come back to where I think most of us expected him to be, average-wise (.252), but with 5 HRs (tied with Posey at second on the team) and 15 RBIs (fourth best on the team), I am not too worried. If he keeps on this pace offensively (hits around .260 or so) with 10+ dingers and 60-70 RBIs and stellar D…it is all good.

• twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

Crawford was a great young defender having young player jitters. Scooter is an old player who was an average fielder to begin with.

9. Irish Kevin said, on May 10, 2013 at 10:45 am

Well my rants on player ages have been well documented. IMO after a player turns 35, how long will he be productive is very questionable. the next question is when they do struggle like these two are, how long do you let them be. I think a team should alway have some young buck who will challenge that vet for starting time. how many old SS did the Giants run throught before Crawford was ready to go. IMO bring up that young 2nd basement that is hungry to show his stuff. Push that vet to get their shit together. And that is my rant for old guys for the day. Agree, disagree, have at. I love learning from you guys who know stats and whatever better than me. Had a great time at the game even though they lost. The Father who brought his little boy to the game only to reach out and touch a ball that was still in play and get thrown out of the game in the 1st inning. Sad, but my thought is if you are a true baseball fan you have sat at home and seen this and watched fans get tossed because of it. So what are you thinking as you lean out to try to get that ball. Pay attention to the game, watch the ump. if he signals fair ball, sit your ass down to get away from that temptation. Now as far as the idiot in the 9th inning he probably could have cared less about getting the bootm since he saw the whole game figuratively speaking. They need to have some other punishment for that guy.

10. Irish Kevin said, on May 10, 2013 at 11:03 am

From Extra Baggs:

With Major League Baseball’s decision to move the Houston Astros to the American League and have an interleague game every day, there has been talk of using a designated hitter in both leagues. Bochy is staunchly opposed.

“I would be so disappointed,” he said. “I just don’t want to see that. I just love the pitcher hitting and I think it’s a better game with the strategy. I would be totally against it.”

• snarkk said, on May 10, 2013 at 11:11 am

Ditto that…

• chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm

No fucking brainer…the DH is BULLSHIT! (I know it will probably happen eventually, but I hate the thought of it.)

11. snarkk said, on May 10, 2013 at 11:16 am

I can HOPE Voggie rights the ship, but I don’t believe it. This “down” period has gone on for a long time — over two seasons now, with the playoffs an upward blip. Kruk was going through his usual mechanics blather this morning about Voggie. But, Bochy was very non-committal post game about where this is headed. I wouldn’t be surprised if they skip a start on him. At essentially 36, Voggie shouldn’t be getting any better, without PEDs help, and there’s lots of domestic and foreign travel on that arm. Maybe he needs a DL stint to get movement back in his pitches. I don’t doubt his tenacity, but you don’t pitch tenacity, you pitch a baseball…

• blade3colorado said, on May 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Nailed it regarding Vogs. I just don’t see how a 35 plus pitcher gets better, after pitching as bad as he has this season. I’m an optimist too, but it is totally illogical to think he will “get through this period.” Conversely, Timmy at least has age on his side and still might adjust. I give that much more credibility of happening than Vogs rediscovering Ponce De Leon’s fountain again.

• blade3colorado said, on May 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

By the by, I finally posted a thread after a week. Yippy. 🙂

12. snarkk said, on May 10, 2013 at 11:31 am

Where’s Noonan? He was hitting very well in a utility role, I’d like to see him in there for a game or two, or at least getting in there for a plate appearance on a more regular basis. With Hudson going tonight, this game will be a tough one. Have to play flawless D, because runs will be hard to come by, Huddie is usually nails against the Gyros. I’ll let Cain throw one gopher ball to either Upton brother, a solo shot, but that has to be the only one…

• chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I would like to see Noonan get more time, but the way that Scoots is swinging the bat right now, it’s a tough call to have him sit for a game. But I agree…at least a few more plate appearances here and there. Kid has shown some moxie when given the chance.

13. zumiee said, on May 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

TF: “Crawford was a great young defender having young player jitters.”

Is this your revisionist history view of Crawford now? I remember you spending most of last season trying to bury him. At one point you called him a “cruddy” shortstop.

• twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Actually, I spent most of last season praising his improvement offensively, I never thought he’d hit up here.. I might have criticized his defense early, but I always knew and said he was a MLB SS defensively. Now- fuck off.

• twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

And it’s not “revisionist” to change your mind about a player if his performance warrants it. I have consistently praised Crawford as he’s improved and made a few posts about how I disagreed with the projections that he’d regress this year.

• zumiee said, on May 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Your usual classy response.

• twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Far classier than your post deserved.

• zumiee said, on May 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm

My post stands. You were wrong about Crawford last year. It’s no big deal. We’re all wrong sometimes.

• twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I already I said was wrong about him LAST year, Z. Where you are wrong is calling my post “revisionist”.

14. zumiee said, on May 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Speaking of Crawford….he’s one of the featured stories in the May issue of Giants magazine. A lifelong Giants fan, he got the thrill of being drafted by his favorite team. That’s pretty cool.

15. snarkk said, on May 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Interesting story about how ex-NFL players are paying/not paying for medical bills from injuries obviously caused by their playing days. Gooddell makes $20M + a year, but the NFL won’t fund health insurance beyond 5 years after a player retires. The NFL is so poor, don’t ya know. Oh, and some of these players end up getting health care funded by — you guessed it — you and me. I’ll call it the Walmart business model… http://tinyurl.com/c9a3eey

• chipower9 said, on May 10, 2013 at 1:21 pm

This is a topic that has galled me for a long time. You mention Goodell’s salary (I know he made 29+ mil in 2011), and the owners are making money hand-over-fist. It is bullshit that past players are not taken care of from a medical standpoint. Without the players, the owners and Goodell don’t have shit.

• snarkk said, on May 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Speaking of corporate ripoffs, my fly in the ointment and pet peeve this week is those self-check out stands at the chain groceries and big box stores. For my “convenience”? Right. So, you, bigass corporation, reduce your employee counts, checker payroll and benefits costs, while I check myself out and bag my own stuff, and get NO discount off the items’ regular prices for acting as your EMPLOYEE. Sweet…

• Irish Kevin said, on May 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

They are taking a page from Gas stations from long ago, after asking what grade of gas you want:

Service Attendant: check your oiil and tire pressure sir
        CustomerL: sure and can you clean the windshield too.
        Service Attendant: yes sir anything else. Thank you for coming to Chevron, and have a nice day

• Nipper said, on May 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Now I’ve got to bring my own bag at Safeway or else pay 10 cents for a paper bag. At least the bags have handles. Nice of Safeway to be so thoughtful.

• Bozo said, on May 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm

The banks with the ATMs too. The whole selling point for an ACH system to the banks was to eliminate staff. Now they try and make a profit off of the savings by charging customers for the convenience.

• eddacker said, on May 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Bags with handles are so classy AND you live in the greatest city in the world, San Francisco,
        My pet peeve is the grocery ‘stockers’. Used to be they were polite and didn’t want to get in the way of a customer. Today, with management pushing them for every ounce of production, the customer is often in the way even to the point of being ‘pushed’ by employees to not slow them down; crowding the aisles with carts of product to be shelved.

16. twinfan1 said, on May 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

3. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

4. Buster Posey (R) C

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

7. Andres Torres (S) LF

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Matt Cain (R) P

• Nipper said, on May 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Lets go Giants!

17. eddacker said, on May 10, 2013 at 8:46 pm

McCann has the same rbis as the cainer does.

he must be proud; cain that is!