A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

23.4 percent down…and a long way home…

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on May 13, 2013

As we approach the 1/4 mark of the season, here’s how the guys would do at their current pace. (4.2 is the multiplier). The first three numbers are BA/OBP/OPS ( which remain as is, of course) The HR and RBI totals are multiplied by 4.2. I’ve added runs in addition to RBI if the run total is significant. Only two players have SB numbers of note. After the projected totals, I’ve added my mini-commentary.

Posey .294 .399 .920 21 HR 101 RBI

MadBum 17-4 2.18 0.93
Zito 13-4 2.75 1.30
Lincecum 13-8 4.07 1.38
Vogelsong 4-13 7.78 1.73
Romo 8-8 3.12 1.04 50-59 SV/SO

Posey: that looks right.
Belt: the HR/RBI numbers bode well for the rest of the way, considering his slow start.
Scooter: I was more pessimistic about him than any of the position players. I’m still very skeptical of his defense. I’m not ready for my “Corvus Fricassee” yet but I’m looking wrongo so far.
Sandoval: Looks good to me. Hit like he does and he ain’t fat, he’s cuddly…
Crawford: Can’t see him maintaining this pace but he sure looks solid. Craig said he should hit 15 dingers. Sounds right. .260 15-65 and GG defense.
Blanco- better than I expected.
Torres – Game winner one day, hat trick the next. I need to see more to make a call for the rest of the way.
Pagan- runs and RBI are outstanding numbers. If he picks up his BA/OBP it should be a banner year.
Pence- everything considered, he just may be the MVP at this point.
Cain: looks to be baaaaaacccckkkkk. 14-8.
MadBum: squarely in the CY picture.
Zito/Lincecum: 13 wins 10 losses 3.90 ERA 1.35 WHIP. That’s right- the Vulcan Pitcher Meld- they put up the same numbers.
Vogelsong : can his game day scowl be enough? Is Nicole tiring him out? Good sign: he lost over 3 MPH FB velocity over the winter. It’s coming back. 9-10.
Romo: I still think he’ll end up setting up- for Hembree.

hunter

1. Flavor said, on May 13, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Has it been considered that Voggy has tired of Nicole? Hey, it happens.
    And they’d have to go through about 3 other guys (after Romo) before they get to Hembree– bringing up a young pitcher with shitty control to be the closer is not *The Giants Way*.
    But I like the rest of your thread and agree with most of it, nice read…

2. twinfan1 said, on May 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Limited sample but he’s 5 BB 19 K in 18 innings. We’ll see. I ‘d rather see that 50 save projection for Romo…

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I could see the Hembree thing happening. I just think something cobbled together with the guys we have up here is more likely. Bochy proved last year how to make CBC work effectively

3. twinfan1 said, on May 13, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Good night, Craig. Big day tomorrow. MRI, blood panel, neuro exam, etc.

4. snarkk said, on May 13, 2013 at 10:35 pm

All looks pretty good. If they brought up Hembree before Sept call ups, who leaves? I don’t see any of these Pen guys leaving, unless we assume at least one has an injury issue. Gaudin is doing way better so far than I thought he would, hope he continues to overachieve…

• Nipper said, on May 14, 2013 at 4:42 am

Demand it Snarkk!

5. Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:35 am

Two in Toronto? This is one interleague series I would like to see go 3 or 4. They have several different/interesting story lines this year and it’s all turned out negatively. I don’t understand how the Yankees are doing this. Overbay? Wells? Hafner? And a pitching staff that just flat out underwhelms. And they have the 2nd best record in MLB? Um, ok.
    Anyone ever spend a night at the Renaissance Hotel? I think that would be fun to stay there and watch a game from my room.

• TedSpe said, on May 14, 2013 at 7:59 am

Really? You can watch a game from the hotel? I didn’t know that

• Alleykat said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:28 am

BF..Stayed at 2 of Renaissance Hotels.1 in Indian Wells,really awesome huge pools(infinity type) great swim up bar,golf course I property excellent too.
      The other 1 for a closer getaway in Walnut Creek is called I believe Renaissance Sport.Nice too just not as awesome as Indian Wells.

• Yogi Barrister said, on May 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

“Clothes make the man”. Putting on the pinstripes adds 100 points to a player’s OPS. That and they’ve got a great bullpen manager. Ironically, Joe Girardi might be the most underrated manger in baseball.

6. chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:26 am

Nice read, thanks Michael. And good luck with the tests.

I think the numbers are fairly accurate (I believe your numbers on Matty to be more accurate than the projection and think he’ll do better than 8-8). And I agree, the projections for Craw are high…but I’m with Flavor…can see him hitting 15 or so bombs.

And to answer Ted’s question…yes, the Renaissance in Toronto is “part of” the ballpark. My understanding is you can sit in your room and watch the game at the same time.

I too would like to see more than a 2-game series. Four in Colorado follow…that should be an interesting series.

Damn…we get the Giants, Dubs, and Sharks tonight! Bay Area of Greatness!

7. twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:50 am

The numbers that will undoubtedly come down are RISP- the team is at .297 with an OPS over .800. Pablo is at .450, Blanco .500. Posey, Belt, Pagan, and Scutaro are all over .300.

8. Irish Kevin said, on May 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

Flave I sent you an email.

9. chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

I just saw where Chuck Muncie (great Cal RB) passed yesterday from a heart attack. RIP.

• snarkk said, on May 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm

He lived a hard life early on. Plus, FB players have a way shorter lifespan than normal. RBs take a lot, lot of punishment…

10. willedav said, on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 am

I wasn’t high on a few guys this time last year that wound up turning it around and finishing strong, so we’ll see. Belt, I’m afraid, is just going to have to blast his way out of the 8 spot and any platoons. SPs appear to be biggest issue so far–offense looks great and I dig the depth of Arias Torres and Quiroz.
    One thing I hope changes is that the Astros, who are currently 10-29 and *on pace* to lose 120, get a few breaks and some of the young guys figure out what it takes to be a productive mlb player.

11. Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Anyone see that vid of Harper crashing into the OF fence last night? What a dipshit. It’s like he’d never played the OF before.

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

Fascinating numbers. By nature, I’m more a poet than a statistician. (In fact, my latest book is poetry: http://amzn.to/YSBIEb). PLEASE, do us a favor, Twin. Show us how these compare with reality at season’s end. It would make for a very interesting read.

13. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2013 at 11:25 am

So, that’s 98-64. Works for me . . .

14. chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Good read on the Reverend…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 14, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, Chi. Good article. I have read that book on Oh that Pence mentioned, by David Falkner. Perfectly excellent. I sent WORLD SERIOUS to Hunter in spring training, inscribing it something like, “I read somewhere you’re a reader, so . . . ” I think it’s pretty cool that he’s into the literature of baseball.

Was at a lacrosse game. By the comments I see here, it looks like we had a rough night north of the border.

15. Macdog said, on May 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Scutaro as DH. Anyone see this coming? Given his shaky fielding, it probably shouldn’t come as a surprise: Pagan CF, Scutaro DH, Sandoval 3B, Posey C, Pence RF, Belt 1B, Blanco LF, Noonan 2B, Crawford SS, Zito LHP

• zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Well, I don’t think a lot of people were predicting that Noonan was going to be the extra bat in the lineup today. So, it makes sense to go ahead and give Scutaro the rest.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm

That is surprising. Bochy rarely if ever plays call ups on the day they arrive.

• chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Well, Noonan has been up long enough that I’m not sure you can call him a call-up. Pill, yes. I kind of expected Pill to be the DH today.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m aware that Noonan has been with the club since day 1. I was refering to Pill.

• salty said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Rhp throwing guessing bochy wanted another LHB in there.

• chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Gotcha, Dirt…I thought you were referring to Noonan.

16. zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm

How awesome were all those other divisional games last night? Very awesome, indeed. The Braves unloaded their frustrations on offense, on the D-Backs. And the Rockies and Dodgers went down quietly. Good stuff.
    —-
    Yeah, BF, that Harper collision with the wall was pretty bizarre. A player’s gotta know there’s a wall coming. Get out there early before the game and check out the surroundings; get a feel for the warning track at that particular ballpark.

17. Alleykat said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Chi I remember when they just opened that new park in Toronto and the TV cameras panned into the hotel suites during the game and this couple was getting it on.It was quite a spectacle. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Kat – when Twin mentioned watching the game from one of the hotel rooms, can’t say that that did not cross my mind (could give new meaning to the 7th Inning Stretch). 🙂

• Ike said, on May 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm

anyone know what the going rate on one of those rooms is ?

• chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 3:23 pm

$209 CAD.

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I honestly gave some thought to driving to Toronto. Too tired. But there ARE aeroplanes!

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm

As a parting comment on the Awe or None thread, Alex Cobb of the Rays takes the cake. Gets 13 strikeouts, 117 pitches, 4.2 innings, 2 HRs allowed, 5 hits, 2 BB. What the heck does that say if not, “The strikeout is overrated.” Or does it depend more on whom you strike out and when?

• zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm

According to “Moneyball,” strikeouts are way over-rated for batters; I don’t know about pitchers.

• zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Strikeout-type pitchers can dominate in a unique way, when they have their good stuff. The opponent is really over-matched.

20. chipower9 said, on May 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Happy Birthday to Frank Gore!

21. Macdog said, on May 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Yikes, maybe Pablo should be the DH.

22. Macdog said, on May 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm

WTF? Did the Giants check their defense at customs?

23. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm

What the fuck? What did I miss?

• Macdog said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Pablo makes a putrid throw wide to first on Melky to lead off. After a walk, Pence makes a dumb throw on a single and the runners move up. Then Pagan boots a single. Then Noonan holds off on turning a double play. All the while Zito gives up 6 hits.

24. Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm

well, at least they’ve got a shitload of innings to pull off the comeback.
    Dickey’s knuckleball doesn’t seen to dance that much to me but maybe that’s just because he throws it so hard.

25. unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Jeesus. Mark DeRosa? Melky? Dickey? Astroturf?

Glad this is a 2 game series.

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I can’t believe DeRosa is still playing. He looked completely done after he came back the second time– just trying to make contact and hope for a hit. He’s hitting bombs now. He;s batting fuckin clean up for Christ’s sake. And that’s a decent LU they have.

26. Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Nice to see Zito get into the 5th after all that bullshit that went down in the first (that he contributed to with all the hits he gave up).
    I thought he was done in 1

27. Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Are baseball players just stupid?
    Why do they try to steal 3rd on Posey, ever?

28. Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Might the Giants OF’s start considering playing slightly deeper tonight? Jesus…

29. zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Whatever happens the rest of the way this game, the long homer by Belt is a cool positive thing that bodes well.

• zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

And he just hit a double.

30. zumiee said, on May 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Doesn’t surprise me that Madlock wouldn’t play against knuckleballers. If Madlock was leading the batting race in the middle of September, he usually had some injury that sat him out the last couple of weeks of the season, and locked in his batting title.

31. Jeff said, on May 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Piss poor performance and they let that cocksucking Cabrera bitch slap them. Every Giant owes Krukow a sloppy BJ with a reach around, cum swallow, and rim job for all his excuse making.

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Agreed.

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Really?

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

He’s fucking right, lol. 4 hits for Cabrera? Fuck him, he’s been shit this year. That’s getting bitch-slapped, as is the 10 runs Toronto slapped on them

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm

It’s a foul disgusting post.

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

But you’ve set the bar.

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:52 pm

He can’t even get it right- Kruk would owe the sloppy BJ. Try to get a better class of scumbag…

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Well, the Krukow blow job stuff was over the top, but otherwise he pretty much nailed tonight’s effort.
        Belt was good. Pablo banged out a meaningless bomb, that was nice. Zito battled through a poor pitching performance and shitty fucking defense….
        As he said, piss poor performance, especially for a first place team

• unca_chuck said, on May 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Don’t hold back now. What do you really think?

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Unbelievable. Cum Swallow? I don’t know who let the dogs out but I do know the pigs are in…

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Well then you should cover your ears and scurry away.
        It’s one post, relax, and he pretty much nailed out effort tonight.
        I hope he posts again

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 9:43 pm

BTW- he *has* posted before and just as digustingly as tonight. This is definitely a guy who knows sloppy blow jos and cum swallowing. By golly, the new standards are gonna be fun.
        “The San Francisco Giant Cum Shot Blog”

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Whether he’s right is irrelevant. We all know it was a poor performance. There was nothing nsightful about what he posted,. It was simply foul and disgusting.

• twinfan1 said, on May 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Don’t give ME shit about your pal. You want that to be the tenor of the posts, I’m game.

32. SanDawg said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Wow. Just got home and did the always amusing read-the-Flap posts without knowing one thing about how the game went. As always, the process didn’t disappoint. Can’t wait to check out the box score next. Macdog’s 5:05 summarizing the start of the game was a peach. As I read Jeff’s 6:24 I thought to myself that sounded like something Flav would say when he is in a certain foul mood about SFG and it was funny to see Flav post his agreement shortly after. If we ever have the Flap Bowling Tourney at the AMF Pinole lanes, I still call MacDog and Salty Dog as my partners. TeamDawg will be hard to beat. Does Salty post anymore?
    Played nine after work and hooked my opening tee shot into a condominium complex. Then mixed 4 pars with 4 bogeys the rest of the way. One of my best nines ever.

• Flavor said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Salty posts here all the time.
      he’s filling in for you. 🙂

33. sandog said, on May 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm

After golf, had dinner at a local dive place called the Sunrise Diner. I had the burger combo, which is excellent. 2 things I love about the combo. One is that they let me substitute a small chicken tortilla soup for the fries. The second is that the patty is huge. After its cooked, its a good 1/2 thick with a 6 inch diameter. It must be the size of a fucking frisbee when they first throw it on the grill. The best part is that they simply call it a cheeseburger. Not a Giant Cheeseburger, or Superburger, or 3/4 Pound Burger—just a cheeseburger. If you are ever done San Dog way, I urge you to track down the Sunrise Deli and have a burger.

• Nipper said, on May 15, 2013 at 5:06 am

Someone eating red meat and admitting it? Around here in the south bay sushi eateries are popping up like mushrooms in a rain forest.

34. James said, on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I am intrigued that the cum swallow was deemed more offensive than the rim job.

• twinfan1 said, on May 15, 2013 at 6:59 am

It wasn’t. Now that the standard has been established, both will be common place in commentary about the games. And sure to be recruit more more of Jeff’s kind. Flavor wants more of that . He said so.