A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Gaudin and The Magic Ash Tray

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 3, 2013

It barely got a mention from his fellow Flappers, but at 11:16am yesterday, Bozo guaranteed victory. Fed up with Anna’s absence as well a Giant malaise hanging over his preferred team, he took matters into his own hands and dug out that ‘ol St Loooo-E ash tray. He took a bunch of deep breaths, coughed a few times, and started fillin’ her up:

ashtray

Nice hat, by the way. That’s my favorite one. And well done bringing that victory home. Give your lungs a break though, bro. Try chewing gum instead. ๐Ÿ™‚

_________________________________________________________

Chad Gaudin has arrived as the second coming of “Ryan Vogelsong” and it has created a fair amount of uncertainty in the ranks of the pitching staff. First of all, it’s pathetic that Gaudin had to be The Stopper for such an accomplished group.

“I tried to minimize my pitches and get outs as quickly as possible,” Gaudin said.

Hmmmmm. Fascinating approach. I wonder if Timmy was listening.

Speaking of Lincecum, according to the rock-solid reliable Andrew Baggarly, an unnamed source within the organization said the Giants would send Lincecum to the bullpen “in a heartbeat” if they had someone to replace him. It sounds like that someone has calmly and confidently raised his hand to volunteer for the job and his name is Chad Gaudin. Unfortunately, that’s a switch that can’t happen until Voggy comes back. But it’s an intriguing idea, especially if Timmy can re-capture his magic from last post season when he was The Secret Weapon out of the pen. There is the unfortunate issue of the calendar. Far too many Lincecum starts will litter June and July before Voggy returns. And I don’t know how to fix that.

Gaudin stepping up and showing the other 4 how it’s done was a nice surprise. But his ascension to starting pitcher just fills one gap– the 5th starter spot. It doesn’t do anything for the other struggling four and it leaves a gynormous hole in the long-man role; a role that is significant on the team the way this current motley crew is throwing the ball these days……

1. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:23 am

I think his ash tray was also good luck on a stock that I am invested in, Intel. It has shot up almost 4.5% today and I am having my best one day gain in a couple of years. Thank you Camel and Bozo!

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:30 am

They were Camels, very keen eye.

2. willedav said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:26 am

Thx for the pic, nicely done Bozo. I’d prefer a pull from Daisy, but a W is a W.

Pen rotation stuff of who does what and when is tricky. I’m not sure exactly how things would play out if Gaudin was moved to rotation, but I’d assume Machi becomes the long guy, and if he went to the pen, Lincecum would more likely fill in Casilla’s spot as RH set up for Romo. Ramirez is more likely to be used earlier rather than later. All speculation of course on my part, and you are going to need 5 starters (unlike this brief stretch).

I think James pointed this out few days ago, but TL and Zito aren’t much better or worse than last year. I don’t see Giants messing with either of them, whether it’s a trip to the pen or a phantom injury, until they know what’s up with Vogs…at least through this year.

And as Salty pointed out yesterday, I hope this ends the platoon BS of sitting Belt vs. LHP. His defense is a lifesaver too; vs. the A’s in Oakland he made a great running grab in front of the stands on a foul pop from Cespedes. Playing 1b over there is like RF at ATT on balls in the air, and getting an out on their most dangerous hitter was a neat play that no one else on SF probably makes.

3. Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:29 am

Thanks Flav. Never thought about stopping smoking before, but for various reasons I’ve decided it was time. Started taking Chantix today as a matter of fact. Looking forward to the hallucinations since I never got the flashbacks I was told I’d get back in the 70s.

Moving on. I have no problems with Timmy in the Pen, he doesn’t have to hold anything back and it doesn’t seem to take him long to warm-up. But, like you said we need someone to fill in for Vogs. Gaudin pitched a good game yesterday but I’d like to see Kickham get another shot. With these off days coming up, I’d imagine Ramirez goes down and a starter come up.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:38 am

Good move quitting the smokes. I had to disappear into the wilderness before the “quit” took. I previously had tried quitting twice before (a year and a year and a half) . . . Each time I started up again, it would begin with an after dinner cigar – within a couple of weeks, it was back to the cigs. Hardest addiction to quit, even harder than heroin, cocaine, alcohol. etc.

4. Alleykat said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:35 am

Hey I would walk a mile for a camel if it would guarantee a Giants win!
    Nice job Bozo!

5. willedav said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:56 am

I admit to being cynical about Giants prospects and call ups as position players and I do not follow along with any of them at minor league level or go watch games. On various blogs there are posts written for this guy and that guy to be brought up/watched closely; they are lighting up whatever league they are in, putting up great numbers, etc.
    Facing mlb pitching and defense and hitting in mlb parks is of course quite different. We’ve seen Peguero Noonan and Pill so far. Noonan seems like a capable back up, Peguero certainly has a future, but Pill I just don’t see. I realize 2013 is a small sample, but in 24 ABs he isn’t doing anything from either side of the plate: 2-13 vs. LHP, 2-11 vs. RHP. He has one walk and one HR, 0-9 RISP, and doesn’t look like much of a defensive player. Yesterday with a couple guys on late game when he can add an insurance run with a whack, he hits a ball on the ground and it winds up inning ending GIDP.. I’m sure this isn’t anything like what he did in the Coast League, but he just doesn’t seem capable of doing much to help the club at this level, and isn’t any reason to warrant sitting Belt. .

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:50 am

Pill, to his credit, pretty much forced the club to see if the thinking about him was wrong. And that thinking was that AAA was his ceiling. He has now shown that the thinking was correct. Belt will sit when Buster plays first base, it hurts the team both short and long term to sit him any more than that. Let Pill return to his bashing ways in Fresno and he could be part of a deadline package to one of the bandbox dwellers…good post from Willie.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 11:24 am

Pill will be 29 in September, and still at AAA.
      That says it all…

6. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:59 am

Yeah, it took about 4 real solid attempts at quitting before it took. And it was always “I’ll just have on after dinner.” Then “One in the car on the way to work.” Then “One after lunch.” Then it’s back to a pack a day. Having kids definitely raised the stakes when my daughter (5 at the time) started picking up cigarette butts and saying “Here you go daddy. Have one of these.”

7. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:22 am

Just a hunch. but I’d guess that Timmy knows what he needs to do. But maybe not. Maybe until Gaudin pitched yesterday the plan was to throw as many pitches as possible in as few innings as possible. Maybe Tim thought he got a prize if he threw 100 pitches in 5 innings..one of those crackerjax thingies..
    A message to the house Republicans is apropos to the Gaudin situation- don’t over reach. Chad has been a Godsend thus far but the best course now is to thank him for the nice job yesterday, send him back to the pen where he served so well, and get young Mr. Kickham back up.

8. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:50 am

Good luck Bozo. If I can quit, anyone can. I’m serious. I never thought I would quit. Then again, I never thought I’d reach 30.

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:03 am

Thanks unca. My first time trying, hopefully it’ll take.

• unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:42 am

If you fully believe you can, you can. If you are anything like me, it’s all or nothing. My wife used to smoke, but only once in a while. Drinking/partying, social type situations. When she got pregnant, she stopped for good, and it wasn’t hard for her. Me? Different story. I never could do the once in a while thing. I’d get right back up to 20 a day after a few weeks.

9. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:53 am

To follow your thought, Willie, I was curious that they didn’t put Belt in defensively when they brought him in to pinch hit.

10. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:55 am

Shit, Camel Filters. Those and Marlboro Reds were my nails of choice . . .

11. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 9:04 am

It took me my lung cancer diagnosis to quit and even then I started again when Merna broke her hip after her stroke. I started again when she was in the hospital for her hip replacement. I saw my local doc a few days after I’d started and she told me I had ZERO chance if I kept smoking. I’ve never smoked another cigarette. With all Bozo has perservered through, I can see he is a tough man- he can do it.You’re young, John- but take this from a 66 year old- even with everything that has gone on with my cancers- I feel 10 times better not smoking. Taking a deep breath of the morning air is a priceless pleasure…

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:10 am

I don’t about all I’ve persevered through but I’ll admit that trying to get some work done outside, in the heat and humidity while smoking really kicks my ass. So I’m giving it a try.

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:19 am

I was referring to preservering through all of the storms you and yoiur family have endured ,, that takes mental toughnesss. Sorry if I mispoke again. Good luck on quitting.

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:29 am

Thanks TF. From what I’ve read from NOAA, it looks like it’s going to be a rough season for Atlantic storms, I sure wouldn’t mind if Mother Nature gave us a year off in my little section of Hurricane Alley.

12. salty said, on June 3, 2013 at 9:59 am

Where can I get one of those hats? Good luck Bozo.
    I have some allergies so never did smoke much but I’m trying to kick alcohol altogether now and that is tough to give up. I love a glass of wine with dinner but it often becomes one before dinner and two with. Beer is easier. One is usually enough.

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:23 am

Thanks salty. I got the hat through the sfgiants.com shop page, right after the series. I’m not seeing it there now. It’s a Nike and has the air holes in it like the BP and ST hats. I liked it because the year is on the back and not on the front.

• salty said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

Maybe eBay? Thanks.

13. salty said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

I just don’t know how much longer they can wait on Tim. It’s been a year+ now of inconsistent loss of focus 5+ era Lincecum. Someone made the analogy of a golfer who plays brilliantly in stretches but is over par after 18.

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

The challenge is replacing him with someone who can reasonably be expected to be better.

• James said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m skeptical that the Giants would be any worse off if they inserted Gaudin and Kickham into the rotation and stuck Lincecum into the bullpen immediately. Unfortunately, if Gaudin and Kickham perform as poorly as the incumbents have, the lost opportunity for Timmy to regain his magic as a starter would be used to pillory management.

14. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

I refuse to give up coffee and sex. No way, no how. Drugs, alcohol and cigarettes is where I draw the line. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:36 am

So Blade, you took the opposite of Hunter S Thompson’s approach – “I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.”

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:56 am

That is one of the best lines I’ve ever read and admired (albeit, this was when I had a few loose screws myself).
        I think that’s one reason he’s dead and I’m still alive. Another great quote of his to live by, “When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
        ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

The weird turn pro line was always my fav. I had the sign hung in my cubicle back in my working days.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm

When I had a cubicle, I had a Dilbert comic strip posted to the entrance . . . Basically, it said, “I am the King of this Realm.” ๐Ÿ™‚

15. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ha ha!

16. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 11:32 am

On 5/18, Lincecum suffered his third loss against the Rockies. He surrendered three runs in the third and a two-run home run to Wilin Rosario in the fifth. The right-hander was charged with six runs and seven hits over five innings. He struck out four and walked two in a 10-2 loss.

On 5/25, he endured a rough outing as he suffered his fourth loss of the season against the Rockies (again).
    This was his 10th start of the season, and he gave up a two-run double to Michael Cuddyer in the first and a solo home run to Cuddyer in the sixth. The right-hander was charged with four runs and seven hits over seven innings. He struck out eight and walked two in the 5-0 loss.

On 5/30, Lincecum couldn’t make it through the fifth inning against the A’s, surrendering six runs (five earned) on seven hits and four walks in 4 1/3 innings of work while striking out four. He was saddled with the loss, dropping him to 3-5 and giving him a 5.12 ERA this season.

Me? I say find *anyone* and stick them in his slot and PUT TINY TIM IN THE BULLPEN, WHERE HE WILL PROBABLY THRIVE.

What James said above is gold, “Iโ€™m skeptical that the Giants would be any worse off if they inserted Gaudin and Kickham into the rotation and stuck Lincecum into the bullpen immediately. Unfortunately, if Gaudin and Kickham perform as poorly as the incumbents have, the lost opportunity for Timmy to regain his magic as a starter would be used to pillory management.”

17. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 11:42 am

TIM’S MOST RECENT GAMES
    DATE OPP IP H ER BB K DEC
    5/29 Oak 4.1 7 5 4 4 L
    5/24 Col 7.0 7 4 2 8 L
    5/18 @Col 5.0 7 6 2 4 L
    5/12 Atl 7.0 2 0 3 7 W
    5/7 Phi 7.0 9 5 3 7 L
    5/1 @Ari 5.0 10 5 0 6
    4/26 @SD 7.0 6 2 3 9 L
    4/20 SD 6.2 4 0 2 8 W
    4/14 @ChC 5.0 6 4 1 4
    4/9 Col 6.0 4 6 4 7

If he can channel his Atlanta and San Diego performances (or only play against them), we might have something here.

18. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 11:47 am

What of the most wrongheaded and consistenty disproven sayings in sports or life is that “it can’t get any worse”..

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 11:56 am

Well, I guess they’ll need yet another starter for Zito’s road starts…

19. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 11:56 am

The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.
    Kin Hubbard

A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.
    Grace Hopper

When you play it too safe, you’re taking the biggest risk of your life. Time is the only wealth we’re given.
    Barbara Sher

20. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Well, I have a pretty good suspicion that we won’t be seeing that Timmy “upgrade” anytime soon, so hang in there boys.
    Have a nice afternoon.

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Magnus avec Bozo: a finely articulated thread with great hat and ashtray. Suffice it to say, it’ll be an intriguing June.

22. xoot said, on June 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm

When seas were calm all boats alike showed mastership in floating.
    Shakespeare

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I don’t know if I can ever figure out this head scratcher, this western koan, but I like it.

• unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Loose lips sink ships

US War Dep’t.

23. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Big, big basketball fan and was unable to watch the regular season due to my trip. I am hoping the Pacers dethrone the Heat tonight. If the refs play it down the middle, anything is possible.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Don’t count on the Pacers to get more foul shots than the Heat…

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Yeah, that’s what I mean about the refs . . . They probably got the Stern memo earlier today.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Stern is about to retire, maybe he won’t care now. But, somebody will get the word out on fouls. The NBA and TV absolutely fear Spurs v. Pacers. More people will watch Bowling for Dollars than that matchup. I certainly won’t watch it…

24. eddacker said, on June 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I did give bozo his props in my post game post: “miracle oil in the shap of an ashtray . . ”
    I know a good omen when I see one. I felt at the time of his original post that only a flapster could predict a win and I knew it had a chance.
    rally hats my ass

25. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm

The pink think protruding from the middle of the ashtray is disconcerting to say the least.

Did that come from a urologist’s office?

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Unca, that there is a snuffer, never saw them until I moved out here. Put your cig in that hole, no oxygen and the butt goes out (hmm, now that you mention it, maybe it was from a Urologist or maybe even the local Proctologist).

26. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Regular season, blade? There’s no reason. Basketball doesn’t start til the playoffs

27. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, sort of true . . . However, I was a bit envious of you guys discussing the Warriors during the regular season/1st playoff round and I had no clue about what was going on (and consequently, did not participate).

• unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Frankly, I saw none of the Dubs in the reg season as all I get out here is the Kings games. So, seeing Harrison Barnes kick serious ass in the playoffs was a revelation to me. The highlight was going to game 4 of the 16th round semifinals, or whatever the hell the Spurs series was.

Yeah, it would be a little shocking to see Indy pull it off. But it could easily happen. Wade is hurt, and the others are all scuffling around looking lost. LeBron? He’ll get his. Indy just has to continue to dominate inside. For all their firepower, the Heat doesn’t bang inside.

28. snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I said last year that Tim will eventually be a Pen guy. I can see a career arc for him maybe similar to Eckersley, if he gets any semblance of his fastball control back. And, I think he should just always pitch from the stretch, which he could do as a Pen guy. He went to pitching from the stretch all the time for a period a coupla years ago to regain control. His strength in the 2012 playoffs showed he can be a Pen weapon, if used properly. The one big problem he has with Pen work would be that he has a terrible time keeping runners checked at first AND second. He’d have to really work on that as a priority and improve it to be a late inning Pen guy. In fact, the Giants staff in general sucks at keeping runners checked. The organization down below should emphasize working on it. Rags seems to be unable to fix that when they get up here. Even Bum, being LHed with that advantage, is not very good at it…

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 4:48 pm

“Iโ€™m always open. Itโ€™s just, right now I donโ€™t want to be open to it,” Lincecum said. “Iโ€™m sure if my career takes that turn, Iโ€™m definitely open to changes, especially if itโ€™s BENEFICIAL TO THE TEAM I’M PLAYING FOR…
      Those look like carefully chosen words. ( caps mine, of course)

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:31 pm

well, I think he knows, we know, he’s not coming back next year. Even if he turned it around. The Giants made their choice when they gave Cain the big deal. They aren’t going to give 2 of them $$$ like that—unless they want to stack a LOT of AAA talent around Posey for the next several years.
        And if he doesn’t turn it around, honestly, who would want this type of “production” coming out of one of your starters (even if he’s getting paid 4/5 starter money)?rrr
        Last year he had the worst ERA in the NL by a freaking MILE (I’m not looking it up, but for qualified pitchers I think it was like a full run worse than the next to last guy. And this year he’s in the 5’s again (barely ahead of Cain who has sucked dick this year).
        No Timmy. Bye Bye. And I’m totally fine with that………

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:56 pm

The part I think is most notable is what I capitalized and what he says about not wanting to be open to it now ( the bullpen). Until I read the quote again this morning I agreed with another commenter that he’d go to the pen willingly. I think the quote hardly shows that. Despite some thinking to the contrary, he’s as much about the bucks as the next young rich kid. I think he’d fight going to the pen. Of course he can start making it all academic tommorow.
        As for not returning, if he does have a respectable year starting, I can see him going for a one year deal here or elsewhere, and try to rebuild his value.
        But I undrestand that there are differing viiews, OK?

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:02 pm

well, as I think you indicated yesterday, he wouldn’t go willingly to the pen because it would ruin his payoff next season. They don’t pay middle relievers or set up guys 20 mil a year. But he’d have to do it, he’d have no other option. And if you’re cutting ties with him anyway, who cares? He HAS to still try, he can’t pitch like shit for a year and a half, get sent to the bullpen and then get lit up there too. Unless he’s done.

29. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm

30. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Pav’s GIF of the month for May:

I don’t want to make everybody ill. Here’s the link:

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:22 pm

that’s classic. What exactly is a GIF? How is it captured? It seems like fans do it all the time and post it to twitter.

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm

It stands for “Graphics Interchange Format”. A GIF can be made from virtually any video. What you’re seeing is an animated GIF. There are numerous programs that claim to automatically generate GIFs online or you can make them in Photoshop your yourself from your own video or a downloaded one from YouTube or whatever. Frankly, I’ve found the programs to download YouTube videos to be loaded with spy, ad, and malware and I suspect that the programs to make animated GIFS for free would be the same. In short- I don’t bother.

• Alleykat said, on June 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Geez, and I always just thought “GIF” just stood for “Girls into Fucking”

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm

thanks Twin.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Watching that makes me dizzy…

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Me too . . . I had to move up the page, where recent comments are. lqtm.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I thought it was, well, balletic. But I would.

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It’s safe to look above. I took the GIF out and just provided the link to it. Sorry.

31. snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Unfortunately, Illinois beat Cal 3-2 in men’s NCAA golf match play semi-final Saturday, on the 20th hole of the final match of the day, with NCAA title holder Max Homa going down to defeat. Still, a great season for the ages by the Cal men, they won the stroke play NCAA competition on Thursday by 6 shots over a 30 team field. Go Bears!…

32. Flavor said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Something I realized about the NBA this year: This is gonna sound awful to say as a GS fan but honestly, I was getting a little gassed on the season. I’m not used to watching basketball in May or June, when the W’s finish the season I’m done and I focus totally on baseball. But this year it just kept going. And going. The games were exciting, it was a great run. But when it finally ended I was like, “eh, fine. Enough already.”
    Years of shit-Warrior teams has dulled my interest in the game, especially with baseball in full swing…….

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Had the Dubs been their usual crap selves, I wouldn’t have given a rats ass about the NBA this season, as usual. I’m paying about two cents worth of attention to the NBA playoffs now. I won’t watch any of the finals, regardless of who is in them. The LeBron media circus is just boring as hell, too. If the Heat lose, they’ll have more media focus on LeBron and what he does the next week mulling over his future than on the actual Finals…

33. zumiee said, on June 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm

In a disgusting development, I’m having to root for the CARDINALS tonight. Ah, but what broadcasters to go with? Both teams are in firstplace cock-‘o-the-walk mode, with the broadcasters in full Ray Fosse gloat-mode. I could turn the sound all the way down, but I really like all the ambient sounds of baseball. I’m going with….the D-Back broadcasters. Decisions, decisions…..

34. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm

What a geek dipshit Justin Beiber is. He’s court side at the NBA finals, wearing sunglasses, Heat ball cap, heavy gold chains, gold watch that dangles from his skinny wrist, and tattoos down the length of his arm.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I watched an NBA game for who knows maybe the first or second time in 30+ years, but just for 10 min or so before the half. That was enough. More than enough. #boring

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Then again . . . I guess my elders said that about my generation too. ๐Ÿ™‚

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I said this at the time and probably backtracked afterward as much as others, BUT when Tim first went to the BP I said his remarks showed reluctance or begrudged acquiescence — not rah-rah team enthusiasm. Well, success makes revisionist bedfellows, doesn’t it. AFTER the fact, everything was just hugs and kisses. Remember that game (vs. Cincy??) when he was like, WTF?! Me?! Now!? Imagine the NY Post headlines on that one, esp. if he sucked. Which. he. did. not. Thank you.

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I hope we never have to find out but I suspect that being assigned to the pen for the duration would not be accepted well. But looking at it realistically, the likelyhood of him staying in the pen for long is probably pretty slim. A bad couple starts by Gaudandkickem and a couple good pen appearances by Tim and he’s baaaaaaaccccccckkkkkk…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm

yeah, it’s hardly a good “business model,” to use a vogue term

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I like the blend “GaudinandKickham” or however you wanna spell it.

36. salty said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm

7-1 Lou. Colo lost. Heck, maybe 85-87 wins takes the west.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:31 pm

It annoys me that Coolstandings rates Colorado so highly. AZ I get, sure. Granted, SFG has problems, but I’m not sold on the Rockies. I will say this, though: the Dodgers will have some sort of revival and the Padres already have. PREDICTION: The whole division will be the closest in all of baseball top to bottom when all is said and done.

37. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Continuing my latest obsessive Jefferson Airplane kick: earbuds piping “Spare Chaynge” into my pointed little head, from “After Bathing at Baxter’s.” Oh yeah. Unh-hunh. Mmmmmmm. And every James Joyce fan should play “Rejoyce” on Bloomsday, June 16, from the same classic-rock album. (No, I never took acid. Hash, yes. No LSD. But I grunted at Jerry Garcia and got a nod back, circa 1968.)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Did you know the “-neil” of “The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil” refers to the inimitable singer-songwriter Fred Neil, who wrote “Everybody’s Talkin'”? His acoustic guitar and voice are perfect. OK. I’ll stop now. I get off on these tangents. I know, they have meds for me. I don’t want them, though.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Everybody’s Talkin’ — you mean the Midnight Cowboy theme?

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I think my favorite Airplane LP is “Thirty Seconds Over Winterland”. Jorma and Jack are at there Hot Tuna duo best, Johnny Barbata on drums and Papa John on violin. Love that album (yes, I said album, hey, I’m an old man).

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm

CBS Sports’s MLB writer — name eludes me — predicted the Phils could shop Cliff Lee. Listed, if I recall, Angels, Dodgers, Yanks, Rangers, Red Sox, and Cards as possible landing places, despite high cost. Would you take him? I would, but only if the Phils kick in enough cash. Then again, why would they bother if they had to do that? And whom could we offer? Forget I fecking mentioned it, all right? STFU.

39. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm

A team source told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area Sunday that Lincecum would be moved to the bullpen “in a heartbeat,” if the club had a suitable replacement for him in the rotation. Lincecum is 1-4 with a 6.37 ERA in his last six starts (5.16 ERA in 44 starts since 2012).

Personally, I think it’s a moot point what he wants to do. If he truly wants to remain in the rotation, then his pitching better do his talking. Tomorrow, he goes against a putrid Toronto, that is 24-33, 5th place in AL East, 11th runs, 16th BA, 16th OBP, and 8th in slugging percentage . . . If he can’t pitch a decent game against this crappola team, then put a fork in him – he’s done and has no business being in the pitching rotation.

• twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Well, It was in Toronto but they utterly destroyed Zits and Vogelsong. They don’t hit well on the road in general but they hit HRs anywhere.
      But I think he’ll have a good outing and they don’t have a “suitable replacement” anyway.

• salty said, on June 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Twin you want to see Kickham, and Gaudin looked good, so why can’t you see them going that way and putting Tim as the long guy?

• salty said, on June 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Subject to change of course. But I think they need to find out if they have a viable in house option and if not, consider whi they might target at the deadline.

40. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Interesting. According to ESPN, someone UNSUITABLE may be taking his spot if he doesn’t pitch well tomorrow . . . Per ESPN, “Tim Lincecum (3-5, 5.12 ERA), who was tagged for seven runs in 3 2/3 innings in his lone start versus the Blue Jays in 2007, could be pitching to remain in the rotation Tuesday. Lincecum has posted an 8.27 ERA* in losing his last three starts.”

*Sheesh, if he can pitch to his season ERA of 5.16, he may keep his rotation spot. ๐Ÿ™‚