A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Working A Swim Meet Today with a “LeMaster”

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 8, 2013

This morning we had a practice swim meet to try out the *new* technology. The timers don’t use timers anymore, we use these blue boxes that we are supposed to press ONLY when the swimmer hits the wall—the result goes right to the computer (or whatever we’re sending it too. A cloud? I can’t keep track). Anyway, this new gizmo has done away with the details of timing a race. Instead of clicking start-stop and then turning to a human recorder all we do is click stop once, when they hit the wall, and our job is done. With no more recorders hanging over my head awaiting my time, it’s already better. I never liked that, it felt like they were always just looming, waiting to consequence or doubt me…..

There are 2 timers for each lane, my lane was #5.  I turned to the woman I was working with to start up the required mindless bull-chat that you always have to do since you’re sitting there together for 3 hours or so. She was older and unattractive and I was bummed since I often get paired with a nice looking MILF who likes to flirt and remember her better days. But whatever, I can get my bull-chat on with anyone so I looked at her name tag and it said “LeMaster”. I thought “Booyah, that’s a built-in conversation starter!”  Then I started thinking that I’m not working “booyah” into my daily venacular often enough and I wondered how I could change that.  Sensing the need to interrupt this brain cloud moment, I shook my head twice, re-focused, and said “You know, you’ve got a fairly famous last name for this area if you’re a Giants fan.”  I’m bad at guessing ages of older women but I put her in the neighborhood of 60 and was hoping this was Johnnie’s sister or wife or something. What a fantastic story this would be for The Flap!

“Yes, I get that a lot” she said. “I’m married to one of his cousins but I’ve never met him”.

Buzz kill…….

She prattled on about how he was a *great* defensive player but couldn’t hit, how he used to wear “Boo” ALL the time on his jersey (I just let her keep going without correcting that one) and how her son could have played college ball but he quit after high school because he wasn’t passionate enough to take it to the next level…she said other things, I started ruminating to myself about how I’m still not saying “Booyah” enough to verbalize exclamation points in conversation, then the meet started and I had to start clicking that timer-stop button over and over for 3 hours……

So, all in all, kind of a let down, at least in terms of the rad post I had planned about timing a swim meet with Johnnie LeMaster’s wife….

_______________________________________

Pawlie left me a voice mail today saying that last night’s loss was devastating to him and that he was taking a few days break from the blog. I was surprised, I didn’t think last night’s loss was that awful. One of the best hitters in the NL took one of our pitchers deep. He was 0-5 against him, I had no problem with Bochy sticking with him. He threw him a poorly placed strike, he knocked it out, we only scored one run, end of game. To me, this was just another game where we didn’t hit and they beat us late. Stay with us Kokonuts, they get a lot worse than that one!

_______________________________________

Here’s a great pic that I’ve posted before. This is what players looked like before they took steroids. I bet one or two of you were at this game or knew someone who was.

boo

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm

all the Japanese pitchers seem to do that somewhat, or is it me?

2. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Gaudin with a second straight strong start. He keeps this up, and Voggy can go on a long long rehab…

3. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Whatever they Giants do, they CANNOT let Goldschmidt beat them. Walk the guy, hit him, whatever…

4. zumiee said, on June 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm

The Giants have done a good job of containing Goldy in these last two games. The D-Backs look very vulnerable when that happens.

• willedav said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I realize it’s just a couple games, but I said before they just aren’t as scary as 2011 team, and I still feel that way. The LU has only golds as a real basher (SF has out homered them handily this series), and right now prado and Montero aren’t doing much. Their supposed great D hasn’t looked so good either (kubel anywhere is awful); by contrast SF has looked very good in the field for most part. Didi isn’t a .300 hitter for 3 more months either, and Ross and the other OF guys don’t impress me.
      Giants SPs have outdueled theirs at their place and I’d trust SF pen more too. I still feel AZ strains to get a WC–not in same class as ATL, STL, or SF.

5. Bozo said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Put these Sidewinders down.

6. Bozo said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

24 and 0 when leading after eight. Now that’s a hell of a stat.

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Dang. I was hoping for a trifecta of Rox loss, Jints win, Doggers loss, but Rox just tied it in the ninth.

8. Macdog said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

2 outta 3: “Booyah”

9. mannyman46 said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Stick a fork in their ass, they are done. Have a great rest of the weekend out there.

10. Bozo said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Good game! And a Boo Hoo to the Nipster.

• Nipper said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm

WOO HOO!!!

11. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Now, that was a satisfying win. And, without Pagan and Panda. Pence is really getting some energy into this club now. He’s building a case for a big contract, that’s for sure. Bochy finally moving Buster in the #3 hole is also a factor, IMO. That should continue when Panda returns…

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I think he had already said it wasn’t short term even before Panda was hurt. It’s still not the right line up to optimize production but baseball managers are sheep about a lot of that stuff.

• snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Yes, I know he said that previously. I agree with it. Panda’s unrelenting wild ass swinging at almost every pitch is not the place to have a #3. It’s more liveable at #4, given his ability to his HRs, or even #5, since Pence leads the team in HRs now, and is a far faster runner than Panda, so he could benefit from Panda extra base hits in back of him. I think they should continue Posey at #3 until/unless it’s proven counterproductive…

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Well, actually the three spot is not as important as generally thought.Here’s how the spots rank in the importance of avoiding outs: #1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9..

12. zumiee said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm

It was kind of a hilarious Dodger game today. Puig had 3 hits, and the Dodgers lost 8-1.

• Flavor said, on June 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm

exactly. If he doesn’t hit a walk off they’re still sleepwalking. It’s why Jenkins’ comment was so curious.

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm

That was the pernt when I downplayed how much difference he would make even if he hit 50. They have too many holes elsewhere. At the end of his historic week, they managed a 3-3 record. It’s good to see agreement.

13. twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Obviously Pagan will return to the 1 spot and CF and he can certainly go off as has in the past. Bochy has a decision with Torres and Blanco, though. Offensively, Torres has been hitting at his 2010 level over the last month but he’s made some mistakes in the field. Blanco has been stellar in the field, less so at the plate. I think Bochy will see to it that the load is split more evenly, with Torres getting more starts than he has.
    I don’t see Perez breaking up the platoon unless there’s an injury or trade. He’s the 5th OF and emergency infielder. IMO.

14. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Looking forward to the Pirates’ series. I really like the look of their yard, I’d love to see a game there, in the fall when it’s not so hot. I’ve said it before, I really like the Pirates classic uniforms, for what it’s worth, which isn’t much. Maybe my favorite uni in MLB, Cards’ home unis next. Giants, eh. They’re OK. Hard to do much with Giants. Today’s road unis with SF logo on the left breast are my favorite Gyro uni. Giants broke a 7 game streak of no errors today with Gaudin’s misplay, but that doesn’t really count in my book. Good D and wins go together…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

As you know, I’ve been there several times, most recently when it was 139 degrees just before ASG last year. Love it there. We were dragging, fresh from getting whomped in D.C. But it was July. Shouldn’t be quite as hot.

• snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Weather forecast for Pittsburgh shows mid to high 70s during the days, with scattered T-storms. Good news for the Giants, no brutal heat…

• snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Ever been to that Primanti Bros. sandwich shop, Pawlie? I’ve seen stuff on the TV food shows for years on that place, so I’m suspect that it’s any good. Plus, the sandwiches look 6″ thick to me with fries on them, which isn’t really appetizing in my book, even if there’s a house cardiologist available with a defibrillator…

• Macdog said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I hear ya, Snarkk. My oldest brother lives just outside P-Burgh, and every year I want to get out there for a Giants game and every year there’s always one reason or another why I can’t make it. With daughter still in school this week, it just ain’t do-able.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Ya know, Snarkk, we did the Primanti Bros. sandwich last summer, first time for me. I was not the biggest fan. We took what the counter kid recommended, maybe it was a cheesesteak. But, right, it was ginormous with fries in it. Not separate but in the sandwich. Makes for an interesting conversation but it just didn’t do it for me. And because I’m a health nut. I can put that aside for one meal. To me, it just wasn’t all that tasty. Maybe I expected too much. My son went to the art Institute of Pittsburgh and met his wife there, so when I reported back my view of Primanti Bros. she was a bit put off. Oh well. We also had trouble finding pierogies in the stands, despite the hugely entertaining pierogi race on the field.

The Pirates are bringing up a rookie pitcher, Cole, for Tuesday. I think first time around the lineup it’s tougher on the batters, then it gets interesting.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Not trying to hurt my chances, but just bought raffle tix for WS ring. It benefits a good cause, as far as I can tell. Deadline is 9 pm PT.

• Flavor said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for the reminder, I’ll do that too. $10 or so?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

yes, $10 minimum gets you 5 tix; I bought 10 tix for 15 beans

16. twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

They got lucky in St. Louis , weather wise. In my experience that’s most miserable place in baseball to play a day game in the summer… Pittsburgh hadn’t been cleaned up when I lived there as a boy so it was pretty brutal, too- the humidity seemed to merge with the smog and grime.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Mike, remember ASG in STL? I think it was 1964. Temp. on the field was something like 124, no lie.

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Don’t recall that specifically. I saw some games in ’58 , my Mom was from there, and we had relatives there. It was quite a trip. We stayed with her sister Anne and her hubby. One day the “gals” went shopping and husband Jimmy was supposed to watch us kids. Well, Jimmy’s plan was to tell us there was something really cool to see on the roof. So my sister, brother Bill, and I went up to look. When we were all up there, Jimmy took the ladder away and left… My Mom and her sister got back a few hours later and let us down. Jimmy showed up after midnight, drunk as a skunk…
      Ah, but the ballgames were great, even in the sweltering heat. Musial, Ken Boyer, Flood, Vinegar Bend Mizell, “Toothpick Sam” Jones, Brosnan, they had a lot of good players…but the Bucs were on the rise- Maz, Groat, Virdon, Clemente, Frank Thomas, Dick Stuart, Friend, Vern Law, Elroy Face.. we finally had a team.
      Still, the lasting memory of that visit to Mom’s sisters was sitting like a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, cursing Uncle Jimmy and vowing to get even someday.But he was a likeable rogue with a silver tongue. By the next day he convinced me just plum forgot we were up there. A little later he asked me if I wanted a drink, I was 11. Hell yeah…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Helleva story.

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm

True, even.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

the best kind; it totally baffles me how writers invent things out of whole cloth. I have almost no imagination like that, maybe that’s why I’m a lousy liar.

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm

One of the legendary liars of radio was Bill Stern, subject of my next comment.

17. SanDawg said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

@ Snarkk: I drove cross country with a buddy is the summer of ’87. We went to several ballparks and had a helluva time. I even caught a foul ball that had some heat on it (pitched by Dwight Gooden and hit by Keith Moreland) on the fly at Wrigley. At one point we went through Pittsburgh. My bud always reminds me that we went to that sando place and we weren’t that impressed. I honestly don’t remember.
    There are a lot of things from the 80’s I don’t remember.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm

In my next book — in progress for a year — I try (TRY) to recall a similar drunken trip from Dayton, OH to Wrigley with my brother and his friend in 1978. We left from a bar. Always a smart move in the middle of the night, until dawn splashes light on the infinite cornfields of Indiana soon followed by the belching smokestacks of Gary, Indiana. How did we survive? My marriage didn’t. (Getting pictures back from Ray’s Bleacher Bum Restaurant as evidence were no help.) Gawd. What were we thinking? That’s right. We were drinking not thinking. (One more tidbit: Steve N., a native of the Jersey Shore, running from the Hess station where he worked, getting into the car, and saying, “Let’s go. The cops showed up.” Great. Now I’m a drunk getaway driver.)

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Does the Mets’ Terry Collins get fired this week? I heard him on the postgame radio after their abysmal performance against Miami. He and Charlie Manuel went to the same elocution academy.

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Has anyone seen or read this book on the Seals? Looks intriguing. http://www.amazon.com/The-1957-Francisco-Seals-ebook/dp/B00D3QD79Y/ref=zg_bs_159819011_64

20. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Not only one, but TWO Flappers have been to Primanti Bros. This group is special, lemme tell ‘ya.
    Awesome reports. And, I’m not surprised at the opinions…

21. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm

The Snarkkettes and I are making home made Naked Raviolis tonight for one of the dinner offerings. I’ve had them at a local Italian place, and they are freakin’ awesome. If we can even come close, it will be good.
    Check this out:

• sandog said, on June 9, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Those look pretty damn good. Grandma San Dawg is full blooded Italian and Ravioli is her signature dish. I made them with my kids assisting once (ONCE!) and it is a quite a labor intensive process. Yours seem a bit simpler—and healthier. Keep us posted.

22. zumiee said, on June 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Pawlie, thanks for the heads-up on that book; I hadn’t seen that one listed anywhere.
    For those of you with Kindles, that big Mantle biography that came out in the last couple of years, “The Last Boy,” is available for something like $1.99 from Amazon.
    I finally got started on “Of Mikes And Men,” and it’s very entertaining and poignant. It’s a history of NFL TV broadcasting, and features TF’s father, Ray Scott, prominently in the book. These early broadcasters had a huge role in the growth of the NFL, and their stories are real interesting.
    On Kindle, I purchased Jonathan Alter’s new book about the 2012 election: “The Center Holds.” I like his writing, and he comes from a political perspective that’s reasonably close to my own.
    I finished reading a novel: “And the Mountains Echoed,” from the author of “The Kite Runner” and “A Thousand Splendid Suns.” It’s another terrific novel by that author.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Zumie, I’m a much slower reader, but I salute your range. Consider “All That Is” by Jonathan Salter for fiction; his first in decades. Worth the wait. I’m reading “A Delicate Truth” by John le Carre. Yummy.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm

pardon me: make that “zumiee,” with lowercase zed and double e.

• zumiee said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I’ll look for the Salter book. I usually try my local library first. I have an awesome local library that gets new books very regularly.
        I wouldn’t say that I’m all that fast a reader; I’m kind of an insomniac, though. For whatever reason, I sleep less than the average person.

• snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 9:19 pm

zumiee, if you are a big snorer and wake up often at night, please have it checked out. Sleep apnea is very uncool. Same for insomnia. Consult a sleep specialist. Lack of sleep can be an indication of some serious stuff. Just sayin’ as a friendly Flapper advisory. Believe me, I know of what I speak…

• twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm

The 50’s and 60’s were the Golden Age of broadcasting. The pioneers of TV sports announcing were men who learned their craft in radio- although there were some who never figured out the new medium. Bill Stern was one of the legends of radio, and he was able to cover his frequent errors by simply making up what had transpired. Upon his induction to the Radio Hall of Fame in 1988, this was his epitaph:
      ““He told tales of sports legends and strange occurrences which kept listeners eagerly waiting for the climax. Although some of his reports stretched the limits of credibility, no one doubted that Stern was a master storyteller who used emphasis, repetition, and pauses to perfection.”
      His penchant for flambouyant prevarication didn’t survive TV for long…
      One of his great tales involved Abraham Lincoln:
      “One of his typical stories involved the death of Abraham Lincoln. In his best ‘true-as-gospel’ voice, Stern told of the dying President sending for Union General Abner Doubleday, who some have credited with inventing baseball. ‘Keep baseball alive’ gasped the President to Doubleday as Booth’s bullet was ending his life, ‘In the trying days ahead, this country will need it.’ Then Stern described Lincoln’s head falling back on the bloody pillow as he expired….
      Magificent nonsense…

23. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Naked Ravioli report.
    Very very good. Tasty stuff.
    We used fresh garden sage thrown into the bubbling butter, put a crispy sage leaf and some of that browned sage butter on top of those puppies when they come out of the oven and bingo!, Mangia. Nice with a crispy, cool Pinot Grigio it was. I’d recommend though to use 12 oz., not 16 of ricotta to make the mix just a little stiffer, and I used 3 bags of cut, fresh baby spinach. Yummy…