A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

M

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 9, 2013

I’ve done a lot of stupid things in my life that I don’t care to share on the internet. But one thing safe for internet consumption is the day I deleted the blog oneflapdown77.blogspot.com. That was the blog I started on a lark when The Splash shut down for a couple of hours one day back in 2009.  After the url got out, my new blog started to get some traffic. Even after the Chron rebooted I decided to keep the blog going because it was cool having a place where you could speak your mind and not worry about a blog czar zapping your post for no apparent reason. I really wish we could still access that blog, there were some fantastic words composed there……..

That blog grew in popularity and I stopped posting at The Splash. Back in *the day*, when I didn’t know what a blog was, I stumbled upon the Splash looking for an article. Suddenly, I found my way to the *comments* section.  I fired off a few opinions, tangled with Twin for a bit, and I was hooked. It was a great way for me to vent my thoughts/feelings/opinions/frustrations about the Giants. Back then no one monitored shit, we said whatever was on our mind. There were probably about 12 of us who filled up 400 comments a day, lol. Even in the darkness of Winter…..

Anyway, after bailing on the Splash and starting the blog at blogger.com I grew tired of the limitations I had as the blog owner. Too many trolls started showing up and I couldn’t zap them.  It was irritating.  So, after a year at blogger, I moved the blog to wordpress.com, and while wordpress has it’s issues, I’ve had no problem running the blog as I like and kicking out dipshits who show up for no other reason than to irritate and annoy.

I made that move on May 30th, 2010. Here is my first post. It was a video of me at Posey’s first game of the 2010 season. San Diggity Dawg had invited me to the game a month before and we got lucky to hit the Posey-2-the-Show game (2010). He “announced his presence with authority.” That was a fun game, I met Diggity for the first time (and his sister), I ate a broken hotdog left over from the Candlestick days, and Buster Posey did this in his first at bat of the evening…..

Diggity told me before the game that his favorite seats are at the top and it was the first time I’d ever sat up there. It was quite awesome. And I made that video my first post at the new blog. The same blog you’re reading now…..

______________________________

It’s important to do things in your life that make you happy. I know that sounds obvious, but as I got older, I forgot how to do it. When I was young, happy came easy. As I aged, it came harder. Life got harder. And while the greatest and most important happiness in my life is raising my 10 year old angel, I recognize that there are other things that I need in my life to be happy. I’ve shared them before, no reason to list them off  here. One thing  I’ve discovered, as it relates to this place, is that waking up at 5am with a cup of coffee and some Pandora in the background, with darkness and no sounds except the clicking of my keyboard, is the best way I’ve ever found to start my day. So don’t think this blog has anything to do with any of you. Haha.

But of course, it has everything to do with you. For starters, while this is *my* 1,000 post, it’s the 1,134th post at the blog. When I nearly dissolved the blog last Summer, there were 12 of you who came to it’s rescue. The Stable Boys were born and shortly after that they were re-named The Un-Stable Boys—one of the great nicknames of all time, courtesy of Pawlie Kokonuts, one of the most stable, un-stable of them all. Those 12 came together and blogged their asses off all the way to another World Series Championship.

So today, we (12) publish post 1,134. I’m an anniversary guy, super symmetrical, I killed the last blog a year to the day I started it, and I threatened to kill this one at post *M*. Sometime last January, I decided I wasn’t going to do it. Still, here we are at 1000 (for me) and I wish to take a moment to observe and honor all of the words that I wrote and that you all wrote to make this blog what it turned into. There’s a widget to the right that counts up all the blog hits and it’s gonna hit 1 million later this season. When I look at the wordpress stat sheet there are a bunch of fun stats to process. Here’s the blog post with the most comments:

Here are the stats for most pages view over 2000+ times. I can’t tell you how much it makes me smile to see what’s listed at #2:

alltimeviews

The blog is quieter nowadays. It still gets a lot of traffic. I have always, intentionally, never placed an ad here. I never wanted the blog to look like a big blinking dumb ad, I wanted it to look like Giants baseball. Nothing but orange and black and hardcore Giants fans. And despite the constant offers I receive from WordPress, the monitory payoff is never going to outweigh the clean, undisturbed look of Giants fans talking about baseball. Our fans, the best fans *I* have ever known, make up a legion that grew from the 2 recent trophies but never grew in terms of the collective size of our heart. That heart has always been as big as it’s ever going to be. There was nothing like the first time I said to someone, “I am a Giants fan”.  And every time I say it, I get better, I get stronger….

This is The Flap. WE ARE GIANTS FANS. And no group, regardless of its size, can give a *knowing dude head nod* any fucking better than we can…….

1. twinfan1 said, on June 9, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Congratulations. You’ve done a fine job and this is one of your best posts, IMO. Goodnight, all.

• Flavor said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Twin. Just like The Splash and the first blog at blogger.com, you are the true keeper of The Flap….

2. willedav said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Thx for all you do Flav. Posts here are always interesting and thought provoking, encompass a wide range of experiences, and are always a joy to read. Last couple days on the *draft* thread have featured a lot of good stuff, and not coincidentally great baseball by our fav local nine.
    I really enjoyed both the Flap meet ups and the guys, tho I do feel bad that I didn’t prevent poor Ted’s long way home. But sometimes checking the posts here is the funnest thing I do all day, which is not a bad thing at all.

• Flavor said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

What time is it? I’m usually all about the am post and you draft right in after I post it!
      Yet the clock reads 10:12pm.
      Conflict….

3. snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Great lookback. Well said, BF. All Flappers are in debt to you for this modern meeting and public house in the ether where every day we can get together and share a common love, as well as snippets of our lives. The Giants winning the 2010 WS for the first time in my life of being a fan of 45+ years was a season, followed by a fortnight, that I will never forget. Made even more special by sharing it with fellow Flappers. Seriously. Same with 2012, a different season and a different cast of characters. But, the Flap was there to share the joy again. The moment I remember most of the last few years was jumping up and down in my living room with my Snarkkettes after The Beard closed out Howard with the best slider of his career. I don’t remember what I wrote after that on the Flap, but I felt compelled to share the joy with those who felt as I did. Somehow, inside, I knew that that 2010 Pennant was different, that we had a real shot to win it all, hell, that we WOULD win it all. And, we did. Timmeh waving that #1 finger being carried on the shoulders of somebody in the middle of the Texas night is a photo imprinted in my mind for life. We may disagree here on the details, but the direction is unwavering. True baseball fans are here, Giants to the core, on the Flap…

• Flavor said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I remember that night like it was tonight. Running out of Dave’s house in the rain in my bare feet with my daughter trailing behind me—it was a moment I’ll never, ever forget and if someone asked me to name my top 10 lifetime moments just before I die, right now, that one is top 10…..
      I love your line “…the Flap was there…”
      And that’s the truth. The Flap is always there and that’s what we all love about this place……..

4. Nipper said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Good show! Well done.

5. chipower9 said, on June 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Wow! One Fucking Thousand (well, 1134, but who is counting…obviously you). Thank you Big Flavor from the bottom of my heart for creating this community. And a community it is. I have met only a couple of you in person (Blade and Irish Kevin), but look forward to meeting more of you on Orange Sombrero Night. I truly feel like you all are family…it is hard to imagine enjoying Giants baseball without sharing the experiences with you knuckleheads.

I remember that memorable day on the Splash, and you mentioning your blog, and inviting me over. (And I remember inviting Blade over, too.) Who would have known that it would grow to be what it is today.

I remember that night when our boys in the Orange and Black met destiny and brought us our first World Series Championship to the Bay Area. I was at Placerville Brewing Company. We have the “Old Guys’ Table” there and talk Giants baseball regularly. I was there with my daughter, and the magic and elation of that final pitch, and as you mention Flavor, of Timmy pumping that finger into the air, was unreal.

What a wonderful trip it has been. And I want to thank you for not only creating this place, but for allowing a handful of us to contribute. I have been mulling a few threads for a while now, and need to get off my ass and publish one of them. Anyway…it has been awesome sharing Giants baseball with you Flappers, and I truly cannot wait to meet more of you in person.

Well done my friend. You truly make the world a MUCH BETTER PLACE.

6. chipower9 said, on June 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Was awesome to see the boys take the series in Zona today. And so close to sweeping the series…Friday night coulda shoulda been a win. But 2 of 3 is a good start to the year’s longest road trip to date. “Another” day off tomorrow (most days off I remember in a 10 day span in a loooong time). Great to see Giants baseball again: Great pitching, timely hitting, and solid D. Hopefully they keep it going in Pittsburgh and throughout the roadie.

Well, I am starting to see cross-eyed, so goodnight for now, ladies.

Thanks again Craig for all you do in regards to this blog. You are awesome, dude!

7. Macdog said, on June 9, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Magnificent, with a capital M.

8. paulinasia said, on June 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Craig, I kept waiting to read that you were, in fact, dissolving the Flap at the 1000 mark afterall. So glad to see that’s not true. Your dedication to keeping this thing going is remarkable. I’m not sure you realize how important the Flap is to us, perhaps especially for those of us who are far away from West Coast, USA.

I remember posting on the predecessor to the Splash back in the heady Giants’ days of 2000, 2001, 2002… bagged that after awhile (there was a guy there named Captain who regularly shat on the other commenters, calling them “undiapered monkeys”). Upon bagging that place, the Splash was next, I think my name there was paulball or something like that. Quickly tired of it as well, same as others here. Then came the first Flap, so great to have a good place to go; I ‘lurked’ for awhile, until you called me out saying “There’s some dude lurking here from Vietnam” … 🙂 That was ’08 or ’09, I think. Since that time, this place has been home away from home.

All the great words, by so many great word-smiths here; all the great pics (Timmy, as Snarrk mentioned, Scutaro in the rain, etc.). I remember your proud post of Buster’s first hit. While your BBOD pics never really thrilled me (I never saw you add any of the hot VNmese pics I sent to you!), obviously that was a very popular feature. It all has added up to a chronicle of all of our times, whether related to baseball, or to glorious life itself.

Congrats on this milestone! As I enter a transition phase in life (leaving VN on Thursday, going back to China after a stint in the US), it is comforting to know I will have the Flap with me. We are Giants Fans… We are the Flap. I salute you, oh Flap Meister Craig….

• snarkk said, on June 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Paul, BF did post at least one of the pics you mentioned on the BBOTD page earlier this year. It was a very very good one, very classy and well photographed, I’d say top 10 of all time on the BBOTDmeter. Perhaps you just missed it. He probably replaced it much too soon with one of those strange ones of some lady in a weird spaghetti suit lying on an orange shag rug, or something. He’s mad doing that, ya know. 😉 Good luck on the new adventures…

• paulinasia said, on June 9, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Yeah, I must’ve missed that. Well, I’ve got plenty more… 🙂 Thanks, hope to just stay alive and prosper a little…

• chipower9 said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:00 am

Yep…he did post at least one…it was a shower scene. Definitely Top 10 material.

• eddacker said, on June 10, 2013 at 12:55 am

maybe if I start wending him pics of Brits he will have to cave and post the “international” girls of the flap?
      great good luck during your upcoming moves.

9. eddacker said, on June 10, 2013 at 12:56 am

ALL HAIL THE FLAP! M

well done, mate

And like ‘M’ you are the really smart one behind it all. Forever thankful, Craig. Somehow the hearts of some very great fans were drawn to and joined yours here in this San Francisco baseball Eden.

happy, happy,joy,joy

Here’s to another round of M *clink*

a little asian, please

10. salty said, on June 10, 2013 at 4:10 am

Echo the fine sentiment expressed by all. I too find myself checking out the flap first thing in the morning. Has caused me to be late a few times pondering the state of all things Giants. Great to have a forum to express oneself. Thanks a million, flavor. Admire your dedication to keeping this place alive.

11. Bozo said, on June 10, 2013 at 5:44 am

I bow in the westerly direction of Mount Shady.

Way to keep the fires burning, Flav.

12. blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 7:21 am

Great post and I agree with others that have said, “this is one of your best posts.” I find 3 things amazing about the Flap: 1. I can be outside the SF bay area and still have an accurate picture via the Flap of how the Giants are doing daily; 2. Flav introduced me to Fantasy League baseball, which parlayed itself into FL basketball and football. . . Who needs alcohol? Frickin’ FL is addictive as hell (HA!); and, 3. I met Flav, Chi, Eric (Ewisco), Willie(D), Tedspe, Paul(inasia) and Tom (snarkk) in person, as well as Skyped with Pawlie, Ed, and the Clown . . . All exceptional people! Equally important, I am going to meet more of you mugs at the September Flapalooza.

All because of the Flap. Wow! Go Giants and another 1000 Flap posts and two additional Giants World Series Championships! 🙂

13. Bozo said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:41 am

This is a public services announcement for those living out of the Bay Area. MLB has a discount for the Premium package during Father’s day week. I didn’t really read the whole thing so I’m not sure about the details, but just thought I’d put it out there for those that might be interested.

14. twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:57 am

Has anyone heard from Chico? As you may have seen, he asked me for advice or input about his brother-in-law, who is suffering from a serious cancer. We exchanged messages on my blog ending May 25. Since then I have tried to contact him as to how it’s going. He hasn’t been posting here but has been on the Splash. Maybe if any of you are friendly with him outside of the blog you might so kind as to ask him to contact me. Thank you.

15. chipower9 said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:03 am

As I ponder the meaning of life, there is one thing about which I am sure…The Flap KICKS ASS!

Orange and Black Forever – GO GIANTS!

16. willedav said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:08 am

Last night I finished reading a short (170 pgs) book by one Kerry Keane, 1960 The Last Pure Season”. No big insights, just small stories about coming expansion of both leagues, Mays in the AS games, Marichal debut, Ted Williams going out in a blaze of glory, newly acquired Maris as MVP, fall of Stengel and the Yanks alongside the amazing Pirates, etc. Lot of pix, stats, numbers of guys I remember from when I first got into it.
    Giants that year fired Rigney then hired Sheehan, and ultimately traded a player for Alvin Dark whom they immediately named mgr. While we’re well aware of his shortcomings, two years later they were in the Series One of my heroes, Oakland’s own Frank Robinson had a banner year in ’60—led the league in slugging at .595 (Aaron was second, Mays fourth) and was second in OB at .413 (Mays was fifth). Reds won the NL in ’61 and got bounced easily by Yanks under Houk..
    Giants, of course, had 4 future HOF guys in 3 Ms plus Cepeda…can you think of any team today with that many?
    Btw, nice to see Pirates once again a good story.

17. sarge said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:12 am

Well it sure seems like I picked a hell of a day to come back to the Flap. Life has been extremely hectic since that last out in Detroit and I haven’t been able to join the fray as much as I would like. Most days I have enough time to read the blog post and go on about my day. Can’t get to the comments usually. But I just want to say thank you to Craig and the un-stable boys for keeping the blog going. I felt like a distant cousin that was always welcomed with open arms whenever I posted. But, I felt like a real part of the family when Twin called me out on a post I made about Pablo being a ladies man. This is my online home away from home and I thoroughly enjoy hanging out with you dunderheads.

• twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:29 am

If someone posted that Pablo was a ladie’s man, it would not be someting I would ever call them out on. I have a hunch that’s not what was *exactly* said…but always nice to see you post, Sgt. Dunderhead 😉

18. willedav said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:25 am

One last dig at AZ–in Mays book and countless others I have read, star players talk about mgmt. and coaches who inspired them. Gibson just does not seem capable of that–they have let go a lot of talent in last few years from their winning group, and even before that dumped off Scherzer (for Edwin Jackson of all people). Word was these guys and Gibson didn’t get along, which makes me wonder if he is capable of getting the best out of his team, or is just a hard ass my way or the highway type who alienates people after short spell.
    Contrast that with Bochy, who got best of burrell, uribe, huff, Wilson, cody ross, room pagan et al. Not to mention all the tremendous deals Sabes made to put together two completely different Series winners.

19. Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:14 am

disappointed to see that Pablo might be headed back to the DL. And the foot will prevent him from doing any cardio, unless he suddenly gets into swimming. So he’ll probably come off the DL bigger than ever……..It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the foot injury is related to all the weight he carries around. It’s time for him to get serious about his job and his life, drop the weight and keep it off. For good.

• blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:46 am

Flav, I am confused with your sentence, .”It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the foot injury isn’t related to all the weight he carries around.” Did you mean to say “is” versus “isn’t?” If the former, I agree.

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm

yes, good catch, thanks.

20. blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:31 am

I picked up a phenom, Wil Myers for my FL team and I am interested in how he will do in the majors (albeit, I understand that the Tampa Bay beat writer Roger Mooney says the Rays “do not have any plans” to call up Myers within the next week. This contradicts Jim Bowden of Sirius radio, who said his call up is imminent). I’m also interested in another phenom, Gerrit Cole, who is getting a call up as we speak. He goes against the Giants tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

Most of you know about Zack Wheeler – he also is getting a promotion and will pitch Friday against the Cubs. All of these guys are highly rated prospects, so I’ll be paying attention to what they do.

• Bozo said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:48 am

I picked up Zack this morning. So I’ll be paying attention to what he does, that’s for sure.

• blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:51 am

Mets made a good decision defusing as much pressure as possible for Zack, insofar as selecting the Cubs as his opponent. Regardless, the Met’s stadium will be packed to the rafters for his start (from what I have read).

• Bozo said, on June 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

They also sent their VP of PR out to talk to him face to face. I think I read it took the guy six planes and an all day trip, just to tell Zack in person that he’d handle the media (I guess the meeting lasted an hour or less). I can’t see a lot of teams doing something like that. So yeah, they are they are defusing as much pressure as possible.

• twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I usually pay more attention to our own prospects .But I also like following how the phenoms are doing. Wheeler is of course of special interest because of getting nothing of ongoing value for him and being thin in starting pitching at the upper levels of our farm system. Other prospects we gave up in trade:
      Culberson- .282 8 HR 32 RBI .806 OPS at Colorado Springs ( Sherpa outpost )
      Joseph- had a terrible start at Lehigh Valley in the AAA IL, then suffered a bad concussion. He’s now back in A ball..
      Scott Barnes ( Garko) – 6 games with the Indians this year, 7+ ERA, now back at AAA
      Alderson ( Fruckie )- at Indianapolis AAA, now relieving- 10 Games 23 IP 24 H 7 BB 19 K 3.13 ERA

21. twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:38 am

Dodgers are paying over $20,000 per hour to players on the DL- the entire payroll of the Diamondbacks or Braves…Bum fans are starting to get past calling for the head of Donnie Two-Trips. So after very little research I found the problem. The Dodger trainer is Sue Falsone, and word is there’s a waiting list to get on the DL …
    sue

“Are you OK?”
    ” I am now”

• blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 11:47 am

“Umm . . . Nevertheless, I could use some mouth to mouth resuscitation though like you gave HanRam.”

22. twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm

From the Hit List:
    *In an effort to highlight baseball’s more exciting points, MLB.com posted a video of a Chad Gaudin balk that was three minutes and 50 seconds long.
    *The Rockies drafted Rex Brothers’ sibling Hunter, because you pretty much have to take a chance on the Brothers brothers.
    *( Cubs) Their hottest hitter is Cody Ransom. I could be making that up. I could be going by body temperature.
    *(Fish) In honor of winning a 20-inning marathon, management chipped in and gave the team free ice cream. One pint, one spoon.

23. Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Some of you have probably heard this, but Gerrit Cole is dating Brandon Crawford’s hot-ass sister.

24. twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm

“I’ve already addressed everything related to the Miami/Benghazi situation I addressed it in spring training/last year. I will not make any further statements about it. The truth has not changed. I don’t know the specifics of the story that came out today/last week. I’ve already addressed it, I’ve already commented on it, and I’ll say nothing further about it. I hope that you guys can respect that.”
    One way to tell that Ryan Braun and President Obama have the same speech writer…

25. Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:21 pm

And Blade, I am REALLY hoping the Rays call up Myers sooner rather than later. I picked him up in my auction league for a couple hundred bucks back in April. He’s picked it up at AAA lately. And honestly, why WOULDN’T the Rays bring him up? They’ve already passed a super2 date, I think, and I can’t imagine they’re more interest in playing Kelly Johnson over him. Luke Scott sucks as their DH, they should ditch him and let Myers DH for a while.
    Speaking of youngsters, it looks like the Giants just came to terms with Ryder Jones. BUmmer for the Cardinal….

• blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Yeah, I have Myers* as well (although I don’t need him immediately because my team is rockin’ a 15 point lead over the 2nd place team). I fully expected him to be up this week because of the Bowden story, but no one can corroborate it. This is why I give more credence to the beat writer Mooney. They just seem to have more access to the team than someone like Bowden, e.g., our Baggarly and Schulman.

* I had Myers on my originally drafted Flap team but dropped him when he didn’t make the Rays out of Spring Training. I had been checking his “notes” almost every day . . . Fast forward you steal him from under my nose some how in the Flap League. Seriously, it must have been 10-15 minutes after you made the move, I was checking his notes and discovered your waiver claim. LOL 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

By the by, I am also high on Tony Cingrani of the Reds. What do you think of Cingrani?

Cingrani went 2-0 with a 3.27 ERA and 41:9 K:BB ratio in 33 innings over six starts with the Reds earlier this season and was just called back to the big club this weekend. I did the “eenie meenie” two step with him, Wheeler (yes Bozo I could have claimed him before you), and Cole. Regarding Cole, I already got screwed parlaying Cahill the other night going against the Gmen and I wasn’t going to chance that bad Karma again with Cole. Besides, Cingrani already has big league experience and I will retain him if he doesn’t do a face plant against the Cubs. My Flap pitching staff has been up and down all year, including my closers. WHIP and ERA is OK, but I can’t buy a win or a save to save my life (excuse the half a pun).

• Bozo said, on June 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I didn’t pull the trigger on Puig when they activated him, I was almost there but went, nah. Oh well. And, who knows, you may have been right not to grab Zack. Hell, I’m hoping they turn him into a closer so I can get some saves (but I do need wins as well, not to mention, a lower team ERA and WHIP).

• blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm

The only reason I didn’t pick up Wheeler is because he is pitching Friday and I needed something sooner than that to “stream.” One good thing Bozo, Teriyaki Sauce (or whatever the fuck his team is called) and Drew Who are burning up innings, i.e., I guarantee you that they wont be that high in the standings if they keep throwing pitchers out there at the rate they have been (in lieu of ESPN’s inning restrictions).

• Macdog said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

C’mon Blade, take one for the team and get Cole!

• Macdog said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm

BTW, Blade, it looks like Wheeler will be making his first next week, June 18, at Atlanta, not Friday.

26. blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I think this is somewhat relevant (and hopeful) with regard to Sandoval . . . I am not absolutely certain, but I think it was Zumiee or SanDawg that provided a relatively recent photo of Sandoval where he looked in excellent condition (muscular in TShirt and blue jeans). In short, I think the baseball uniforms make him look fat because of the material (cotton?) and the way they are “cut.” Anywho, this is a job for George Costanza. 🙂

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm

San dawg posted the pic. He said his sister took it but maybe it was taken a couple of years ago– she’s lived in the same building with him for years. I just don’t see how he could look that fit unless it was from the diet-days of 2011

27. blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Tebow with New England? Umm . . . Not even the “sweat shirt” anointed one can save his ass in my opinion.

• snarkk said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm

If Teblow really, really wanted to be a QB, he would go to the CFL and QB for a team up there, hone his craft, if he has any, and then try to hook on with an NFL team in a few years as an experienced pro QB. Otherwise, he’s just a publicity hound who knows he has no shot at actually playing QB, particularly with a squad like NEngland, where Brady’s not going anywhere for a few years…

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm

totally, 100% agree. That dude went from being one of the most competitive, most exciting college QB’s I think I’ve ever seen to being a side show. And based on this decision, he isn’t that interested in competing anymore.

• snarkk said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Exactly. If I WANTED to be a starting QB, and I’d already been in the league a coupla years, would I hook up with a team that has a starting QB who is one of the top 5 QBs of all time — and who has no intention of quitting for the next 2 to 4 years? And where the backup QB (Mallet) is clearly a better QB than I am? That’s the LAST team I’d sign with if I wanted to play QB. So, Teblow has obviously decided he’ll make more money being an H back or something, and getting endorsements for being on a top-tier NFL team, even though he’ll be basically an afterthought from a true football on-field performance perspective. He’s given into being a celebrity, not a football player…

• Flavor said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm

He also may have recognized what everyone else sees: he sucks and will never make it as an NFL QB no matter how many years he “honed” his skills in Canada– if that’s the case, this is the perfect way for him to stay in the Nfl and keep getting paid

28. blade3colorado said, on June 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I see where “Ride Her Jones” is going to forego Stanford and sign with the Giants.

29. zumiee said, on June 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Congrats, BF, on #1000!! Your posts are consistently entertaining and informative; and the Flap is an important part of all of our lives. It’s a nice feeling knowing the Flap is there to log onto on a daily basis.
    It’s a wonderful thing being a Giants fan, and connected to such a great community of Giants fans.

30. WilcoJoe said, on June 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Congrats Flav! I haven’t checked in, in quite some time, despite never missing a post. May even try to make it out for the Orange Sombrero night…Again congrats on the milestone.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm

MagnusFlavoris, a well done and a bow of gratitude from deep in my heart. (Sorry, getting to this late.) It’s impossible for me to overstate what this place has meant for me. I tend toward the sentimental. So be it. (Even regarding that, your players-as-ephemeral-as-racehorses angle gives me a counterweight.) So, what has the Flap done for me in real life? Offered a sanctuary, a place of radical welcome. The Flap enabled me to find My Voice. It helped me become someone who calls himself a writer without too much shame or pretension. It gave me transcontinental friends I have met in real life or who have called me during a dark night of the soul. A few friends I can pick up my phone and call, as if we were brothers or grew up together. The Flap gave me irrational license to dare to believe that the New York / San Francisco Giants could actually win the World Series — and we can party together — in my waking lifetime. But TWICE? The camaraderie here, its unvarnished intimacy, is no small thing. And we know that. Deep bow. Again.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm

good to see you here, Wilco

• twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hi Joe.Glad you’re back..

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

Whoa…damned near had to pull myself off the floor (from falling out of my chair). It is great to see you here, Wilco. Hope to see/hear from you regularly, and it would be awesome if you make the Orange Sombrero night.

31. Bozo said, on June 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Flav, I forget, did you start the fist FL before the first blog? I just seem to recall going completely fucking nuts on that message board because we couldn’t on the Splash and didn’t have the Flap yet(?). I could be wrong on the timing, Either way, Fuck all.
    Yee Haw.

32. twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm

The “good old days” at the Splash actually were a blast. VK monitored the Dumbeat, we got the janitor- who locked the doors with the crazy posters inside and let us have at it. The KNBR guys used to laugh at us-there weren’t TROLLS, there were real life maniacs there. The Hanger might have been be the only guy on a sports blog who I’d believe if he said he chopped a guy’s head off for breakfast..
    Craig was there, Chuck, Xoot, Nipper, Ferrethead, Hanger, the infamous Hawk, Yogi (SOAB then)… and me, keeping the peace 😉
    I doubt there woould be Flap blog if SFGate hadn’t launched the new gentler Splash …but everybody’s glad Flavor did it.

33. SanDawg said, on June 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Happy 1,000th Flav! This is a special place, man. You made it happen, have kept it going through the ups and downs and I, along with everyone else, am most grateful.
    I compare this place to that cave the boys go to in “Dead Poets Society.” To paraphrase: “We don’t just talk about the Giants and other topics here….we let the words drip from our mouths like honey.”

Great to see posts from Sarge and Wilco!!! TedSpe…..come on down!!!!

34. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm

off-subject but Google’s landing page tribute to Maurice Sendak today is perfectly wonderful

35. SanDawg said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:30 pm

The Sandoval pic was taken on May 26! The guy does not look fat in person—trust me! I saw him with my own 2 eyes the day before.

• xoot said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I saw him on the sidewalk in SF last year and in street clothes, he looked fit — built like a brick shithouse, but fit.

• xoot said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:44 pm

note the comma omitted after “and” — so sorry

• SanDawg said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:43 pm

That’s cool. Now I hope he can get the Sun Devils back in the NCAA tourney. It doesn’t help that U of A keeps landing every hotshot recruit under the sun.

• SanDawg said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Fuck. That comment was supposed to go under Pawlie’s Sendak post. It was already a knuckle-curve that only WillieD was gonna get, and now I posted in the wrong fucking spot. Son of a bitch.

36. willedav said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I can understand the FL guys who own him, but I could give a rats ass about Zack Wheeler. It’s spilt milk to cry over the deal (and I’m sick of hearing about it from all the Beltran haters), which was made dang near 2 years ago, and he is just now getting to the bigs for a crummy team going absolutely nowhere like the Mets. People act like he’s the next Bob Gibson—I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Fact is the Giants won a World Series last year without him and could just as easily win another one this year, without him.

• salty said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I question whether he’ll live up to the NY media hype. Minor league numbers are hardly dominant. In fact, he’s her to have a seriously dominating yr, even in A ball. I’m guessing Sabean et al made the deal thinking his ceiling was as a solid 3-4.

• blade3colorado said, on June 11, 2013 at 5:49 am

I think he will fail too Salty and could give a rat’s ass about his MLB career, but to be fair – he was playing in a “hitters” minor league (PCL) for Las Vegas. Also, everyone who is anyone has him tabbed as a top MLB prospect, thus the hype.

• twinfan1 said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I didn’t like deal but even though Beltran’s suckathon in August helped doom us, I wanted him back. There was good reason to have a problem with sending our best pitching prospect away when we so thin in the system.It’s not like another package coulkdn’t be worked out. Sabean took Gary Brown off the table because he thought Wheeler was farther away.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

My sentiments exactly, WillieD.

37. SanDawg said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm

….and while I’ve got my dander up, I think Tebow went to an ideal situation. Ryan was afraid to play him in NY cuz he knew it would create the mother of all QB controversies in the media center of the universe if Tebow got in there and played well. The Pats have a clear #1 HOF QB and Tebow is not a threat to Brady—even if TT plays well. I predict they create a good package of plays for him and he makes a significant contribution this year. I’m gonna say he runs/throws for at least 5 TDs.

38. xoot said, on June 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm

The old Splash was a blast, although I have to admit the mortal feuds I found myself locked into, off the bat, set me into a contentious approach it took me years to shake. The tone on blogs like this helps. When the Splash went south, Flavor stepped up and created something very fine. Congrats on a terrific success. (Good timing, too, starting circa 2009 if I recall? ;))

39. zumiee said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Puig……3 more hits tonight. Well, that’s just insane.
    Actually, not a bad thing for the D-Backs to lose tonight. Giants can pull even with them in the loss column.

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm

League trying to blow the save, though.

• zumiee said, on June 10, 2013 at 10:02 pm

And he did.

• willedav said, on June 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

they get 14 hits, have Kershaw on the mound (1 run in 6 innings), and still find a way to lose
        Matts basically called out Ethier before, but hit him in clean up spot Saturday–he went 0-3 and dodgers scored 1 run each in last two losses to Braves. Ethier has 4 HRs, 15 rbis and is hitting .229. He’s gotta go, no matter how much salary they have to pay to get a taker.
        Just too many injuries to pitching staff and not enough help from the offense to make up for replacements. League and most of the rest of their pen sucks, too.

• chipower9 said, on June 11, 2013 at 8:10 am

Yeah, last update I heard (KNBR) last night around 10 was the D-backs had the bases juiced. Got home and checked the scoreboard…sure as shit, the Bums rolled-over and gave it up like a cheap whore on payday…

40. willedav said, on June 10, 2013 at 10:12 pm

*sendak*–yeah SD, just got that one. I’m reading a book by Feinstein “A March to Madness” about ACC during the 96-97 season. Sendek is new guy over at NC State—with Dean smith at UNC, Coach K at Duke, and Odom at Wake, with Duncan. Good luck, eh.
    Feinstein goes into a lot of detail, and he talks about every single team (Seminoles and GaTech with Cremins had been added by this point) so it’s kind of slow going.
    ASU over achieved last year imo, and almost got Dawkins fired at the Furd when they knocked him out in the league tournament. Hope Jahii sticks around and they get him some help, he’s fun to watch.

41. chipower9 said, on June 11, 2013 at 8:15 am

Anyone know, off the top of their head (not looking at baseball-reference.com, etc.) when the last time was that Tim had back-to-back quality starts? I am sure it has been a while…perhaps today is the day.

42. hot said, on July 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I have been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered shiny clear concept