A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Fights, Injuries, Suspensions and This Ain’t Over Yet

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 12, 2013

“Old Man Strength” was on display last night at Dodger Stadium. It felt like a fight straight out of the ’80’s. Mattingly throwing Trammell to the ground, Gibson glaring at everyone, McGwire and Matt Williams locked up in a tussle (that Matty wanted no part of). There was even a Steve Sax and Don Baylor sighting in the middle of the scrum near the seats. Sax tried to throw a right hook at someone but it missed so badly no one took offense…..

So much for the coaches modeling calm and reasonable behavior for their players. And what was Puig screaming about? He uses a translator and doesn’t speak English, I’m assuming most of the players he was yelling at didn’t know WTF he was saying…..

For the fantasy league guys, my friends Drew and Sarah were at the game. Here’s a pic of the scrum from their seats. I love the dude bottom left who looks like he’s rockin’ out at a Dokken concert with his horns held high:

drewwho2

Sarah and Drew, both Giants fans, noted before the game on facebook: “Decked out in our neutral gear.”

After the dust up Sarah said, “I’m pretty sure no one in the stands saw what happened as they were too busy keeping beach balls in flight.” Anyway, now you fantasy players can put a face to the team that’s beating most of you (“DrewWho?”–current standings in the widget to the right)…..

Did anyone catch Grienke winking to his catcher after he hit Montero? It’s in one of the videos on mlb.com. What a d-bag that guy is…..

______________________________________________________________

To our own bean ball game, I’m still having a hard time understanding what possessed Kontos (or the Giants) to start throwing at Pittsburgh players. Because Scoots got hit? If so, L-A-M-E. The Pitt pitcher wasn’t taking aim at Scoots. And since Kontos did it after his POS pitch got blasted into orbit by Alvarez, it sure makes him look like nothing more than petulant, vindictive puss. With this series just underway, and the Pirates probably pretty pissed off at Kontos and his impromptu target practice, this could get ugly tonight and tomorrow—and it’s not like we have a bunch of extra guys to fill in if any of our remaining healthy players get beaned and injured or ejected for fighting…..

Our team officially has a *man-down* problem going on right now. Can Kontos serve his upcoming suspension in Fresno? Time for some Hembree action…….

1. chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:02 am

Well, yesterday we were talking about the Giants need for pitching. I had asked if anyone knew the last time Tim had back-to-back quality starts. Sure the fuck wasn’t his last two starts. Compound that with Vogey’s injury (and no idea how he will be when he comes back), and George Fucking Kontos (plus I have little faith in Ramirez)…well, the Giants need some fucking pitching help, like yesterday.

Here is a link that has three videos on the fireworks between the Bums and Snakes last night.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:09 am

thanks, great link. You can catch Greinke’s wink-job at the 1:04 mark in the 2nd video.

• chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:26 am

I didn’t…will have to go back and check that out.

2. zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:24 am

Coincidence that Grienke has been involved in two of these brawls now?
    He seems to have a certain A.J. Pierzynski-esque likability quality to him.
    But having said that, it doesn’t excuse Kennedy’s guilt in last night’s situation, also. He threw at two guys’ heads. The first one was probably unintentional, but the second one, at Grienke’s head, is inexcusable. At least Grienke “only” hit Montero in the back.
    And a bunch more guys should have been thrown out of the game. Juan Uribe was one of the most aggressive guys in the melee, and he didn’t get thrown out, and later scored a run in the winning rally.
    It’ll be interesting to see how MLB handles the suspensions.
    Btw- here’s another great photo of Grienke:

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:27 am

I liked how Grienke took a couple of steps back this time. He’s learning.

3. Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:31 am

Kennedy has led the league the last couple of years in HBP and he’s consistently in the top 5 every year. For some reason, pinpoint control guy Paul Maholm is always up there too.

4. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

The good news on Scooter might not be so good-there might be tendon damage..
    Shane Loux is getting TJ surgery, so he’s out of the picture as a long guy if they make a move..
    Peguero has a concussion after being beaned Monday.

5. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:14 am

Sam Miller at BP wrote this today;
    “Today, as the league ponders suspensions, there will be debate about who was most at fault. The focus will be on Greinke and Kennedy, and which was most wrong, and how wrong. But the cycle of violence that we saw Tuesday night was just an echo of the larger cycle that has been going for a century and a half in baseball. The status quo is that beanballs are the appropriate way to deal with all manner of offenses. So long as that’s the status quo, the focus shouldn’t be just on Greinke and Kennedy, so much as it should be on the status quo.”
    I agree. Here’s what Miller referred to as the “Frank Robinson Solution” from a piece that Bill James wrote in 1985:
    “Before he was a manager and known for having the league’s most antagonistic pitching staff, Frank Robinson had a solution that he liked to recommend: Forget all about the intent of the pitcher. If a pitcher comes inside two or three times, tell him to take the rest of the day off. The umpire doesn’t need to make any judgment about what the pitcher has in mind; he just needs to say, “It looks like you’re a little wild today, son, we’d better get another pitcher in here before somebody gets hurt.”

Any thouights? I think that might be too subjective, but I do think baseball needs to rethink that throwing at players is “part of the game”.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:20 am

As I read that, Frank’s *idea* is to not let pitchers come inside anymore? I’m against that. What they should do is get rid of all the *warning* crap. If the ump thinks a pitcher plunks someone on purpose (or throws behind him or whatever) he throws him out of the game. It would cut down on the number of HBP because as it stands now, the pitcher to hit first knows he basically has a freebie to play with. And the opposing team might feel less of a need to retaliate if the other team’s pitcher has already been punished by getting tossed……

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:48 am

Well, they need to make the suspensions for pitchers longer, that’s a a given, IMO. I’m not sure what would be done for relievers, but for starters it should be based on number of starts, not games. It’s a big issue and it needs big thinkers to tackle it. Despite all the stern talk , baseball just winks at beanball wars. We’re talking HEADS, BRAINS, the esssence of a man’s life.. Kennedy, JSanchez, Kontos, whoever throws at or towards a man’s head needs more than sitting a start or two to ponder their actions. I don’t know the details of what actions might be taken, as I said it’s a huge issue and it involves a “rethinking of the winking” at throwing at people as a way to settle all manners of alleged slights. Guys get drilled for bat flips, smirks, just for being GOOD… it’s ridiculous.

• chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:44 am

Well, I think pitching inside is just a part of the game. Batter stands on the plate, and pitcher tries to back him off…just one of many little side/chess matches that make up the beauty of the game (IMO). Hitting a batter has been, and again, IMO, should be a part of the game, but NOT beanballs. Put a curveball in a guys buttocks or his back, but intentionally throwing at the head should NOT be a part of the game. Just my opinion on the subject.

6. Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:23 am

I find it amusing that the Giants are asking Pablo to lose weight while he’s on the DL. Yeah, he’s gonna get a lot of cardio in while he’s wearing a walking boot. And with all that time on his hands, I bet he finds his way over to the spread a little more often than usual. he’ll come back 10 pounds heavier, book it.

7. willedav said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:25 am

Greinke stood up for his teammate getting hit, and then after he got beaned himself went in hard at 2b to break up a potential DP. He may be a grade A d/bag, but I bet his teammates love the guy. The last one from Kennedy up around his head was bad. One in the ribs or back, OK. Up there, no.
    Comments were made from one side (don’t know who just saw it this morning during cardio) to the effect of if you can’t pitch inside without beaning guys, you shouldn’t go in there. While that’s dead wrong, it does point up something about college pitchers who have to face guys with the metal bats—going inside is suicidal. So many young guys today don’t seem to be able to throw effectively inside, imp part of the game.
    Kontos excuse was Pirates were leaning over the plate to get at the outside pitches, same one made by the Boston guy Lackey the day before vs. Rays. I didn’t see any of the game and won’t catch much of the rest of this week either so I can’t say. Kontos suckitude is alarming and Ramirez isn’t an improvement.

8. Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

And a Happy Birthday to George Kontos who might find a ticket to Fresno wrapped up as his gift

• willedav said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:41 am

And whomever comes up needs to stay away from that place Unc mentioned his wife has found for the new guys last night.

9. willedav said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:38 am

I love Frank Robinson, but I’m on bob Gibson’s side of the argument. The hitter to him has the inside part of the plate–if a pitch comes in there and he blasts it, my mistake so be it. But the outside is different, and if the batter is trying to take that away from the pitcher by leaning out to cover it, the P needs to come inside and establish what is his (the outside). And by inside here he obviously means off the plate and in close. I think that is definitely part of the game.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

I don’t disagree, but there has to be “no fly zone” where intent is irrelevant. I’ll leave it to baseball people to define the zone. Certainly above the shoulders is an absolute no-no. IMO.

• chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:51 am

I agree…to me there is no room for beanballs in baseball. As you said earlier Michael…you’re dealing with HEADS, BRAINS. Back, ribs, buttocks…go for it.

10. eddacker said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:51 am

After reading this morning about all the “action” last night I KNEW what today’s post was going to be.
    good ole’ country hardball doesn’t work when it is being used by city-boys.

11. James said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:00 am

BF, belated congratulations on reaching the 1k milestone. I don’t express it often, but I’d venture that my appreciation for the work you put into this forum equals that of the Flappers who’ve been more openly gracious and generous in their praise than I’ve been. There may be other forums that better match my own “the numbers rule” view of the game. I remain here, though, because this place has the right mix of personalities, wrong headed opinions, humor, tangents, and thought provoking angles on the team to keep it interesting. Most of all, it has your amazing dedication behind it. Thanks again.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 am

thanks James. May your day be filled with OPS and the best memories of Fred Lewis that you can still access. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

LMAO…well said on Fred. 😉

12. salty said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 am

Like the issue of protecting the catcher, baseball will be very reluctant to make significant changes regarding throwing at hitters. They will reason its always been part of the game, adds a little spice and fans enjoy teams occasionally mixing it up. Certainly adds some drama to remaining LA AZ series.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:34 am

Of course they will be reluctant. More than that, they won’t even dream of it. Until a life is destroyed. The part of the Posey incident that’s been mostly ignored is that Cousins’ action, while inflicting serious damage to Posey’s knee, posed a significant risk to Cousins’ LIFE, or at least his ability to be ambulatory. Lesser collisions than that have left people paralyzed from the neck down. People opposing protections for those unable to defend themselvles or opposing serious penalties for throwing at a man’s head don’t belong in baseball.

• James said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:35 am

Yes, the wink is really a calculated risk.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your comment, James. And to be clear, I’m not suggesting that throwing inside should be against the rules, I do think that head hunting deserves draconian penalties. So that I don’t get more “Dirrrrty” talk, I use Mr. Sanchez as my example of a proper punishment ( presuming he had remained with the Pirates): 5 regularly scheduled starts…( about a month)

• James said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

I was agreeing that not much will be done. There are always measures that can further reduce risk, and, until, as you say, they are forced to, the still relatively small likelihood of a players’s death or severe paralysis will be outweighed by tradition and the base appeal of revenge (which, in the moment of, say Jason Kubel getting yet another hit off of Gaudin, I’m hardly immune to).

• Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hey Salty I found that WS hat on Yahoo Sports Shop if you’re still interested in it (I’m pretty sure it was you, that wanted one). Anywho, here’s the link http://tinyurl.com/nko525h

• salty said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hey thanks Bozo!

13. James said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:27 am

Re the Pablo weight, injuries discussion, and the seemingly contradictory images of his physique, the one thing that can be pointed out without too much controversy, I think, is that he’s been a slower runner this year than he has been in the past. He has more homeruns than doubles.

14. Macdog said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 am

What was going on with players named Ian yesterday? There was Ian Kennedy and his head-hunting the Dodgers. And then there was Ian Stewart getting suspended by the Cubs for his Twitter rant.

15. snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

So, tonight in Steelers land, the Gyros will play with no Panda, no Scuts, no Pagan. Plus, they’re putting Zito, whose road starts rival a ripe Limburger, against a healthy Liriano, the ex-Giant who may now be fulfilling his early, then delayed, promise. I’m torn between Costanza-thinking this into a slam dunk for the Giants, or hoping a monsoon rolls in about 6 pm local Allegheny time…

• salty said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:45 am

Zeetso does seem to rise to the occasion when things look hopeless. Maybe.
      Looking for help from AAA….Hembree’s.last 10 appearances 6 ERA. Dunning?? Rosario another look?

16. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:46 am

Henry says “Gully-washer expected to blow through Pittsburgh tonight and tomorrow. With flash flood watch. Timing: uncertain”.
    Maybe it will cool off thoughts of retalialion if it doesn’t rain the whole damn series out.

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This definitely will postpone the game tomorrow (actually, most games in the East) if it reaches its potential as weather articles are reporting.

17. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm

On the subject of brain injuries and the toll they take, if you haven’t heard: Bryan Stow is at home- and that’s not all good news. I believe it’s his sister who posted this message in the link below. While his family is happy he is at home, the post tells of a familiar tale of our medical system and the insurance industry- Bryan was kicked out of the care facility when the insurance company stopped paying for it and is now at home still needing 24-hour care, which is also not covered by insurance.
    I’m sure the Dodgers and the Giants are both aware of this, but I will be contacting both anyway. I hope that other fans will do the same. His loving family will of course take wonderful care of him within their means but the man needs skilled care at home as well. I’d hope that the teams help them. With that, I’m out for awhile.

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Magic and the real money men that bought the Dodgers clearly have figured into the price of the team the present value of the what they expect to have to pay in a lawsuit settlement. They should get down to it now and settle this thing instead of dragging it out for the next three years, so that this man can get the care he needs…

18. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Kontos down, Rosario up.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Happy Bithday, George.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Happy birthday!

19. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Following up on Twin’s 8:37am . . . This Scoots injury doesn’t look good at all per the Baggarly column and a couple of other news items I have read. Baggarly referenced the Pedroia finger tendon injury as probably being similar to Scutaro’s injury. Although Pedroia played with it, he wasn’t the same (I had him on a couple of FL teams, so I followed him daily). I’m just guessing here, but regardless of whether Scutaro comes back to play this season – I wouldn’t count on seeing him playing any games for at least a month and probably more.

20. Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic 4m
    Scutaro has “mallet finger” which can put you out for 6-8 weeks. Nothing decided because there’s a small chance he can play through it.

21. Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm

He ain’t playing with no mallet finger, at least according to everything I just read about it—split for 4-6 weeks should do the trick.
    I’ll tell ya, the trifecta of Scoots/Pagan/Panda all going down feels a little like 1 Buster Posey going down in 2011.

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm

lqtm. Now that is frickin’ funny. 🙂

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm

He says he’s gonna try to play through it but I think that’s just the *gamer* in him talking.

22. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Here ya go, now I’m out…

Gametime Forecast: 76°F • Drizzle • 37%PoP

1. Andres Torres (S) LF

2. Tony Abreu (S) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) C

4. Hunter Pence (R) RF

5. Joaquin Arias (R) 3B

6. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

7. Juan Perez (R) CF

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Barry Zito (L) P

“Mallet Finger” Wasn’t he a Batman adversary ?

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Twin here’s a joke my daughter told me.
      Why does Snoop Dawg carry an umbrella?
      A: for drizzle
      It’s funny.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm

ok, so this is the B game LU. Where is the A game LU? Oh wait, you mean this isn’t a spring training game? Ack!

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

This patched up line up sounds like something out of a Lord Of The Rings battle, where they are going against the forces of Saruman, common Orcs and Uruk-hai, along with some orc-human hybrids and human Dunlendings.

The Giants are missing Gandalf (Pagan), Legolas the Elf (Scoots) and Gimli the Dwarf (Panda).

OH OH!

23. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm

2nd round pick Ryder Jones to sign with the Giants.
    Opts out of Stanford.
    Wonder if his mom Honey Ryder made the final call after talking to 007.

24. zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm

“wrong headed opinions”

James, if I didn’t have those, I’d have no opinions at all! (grin)
    —-
    Anyone ever seen before anything quite like how Puig was hit by that pitch? It tweaked the end of his nose. What must that be like? He literally dodged a bullet. It made me think of Tony Conigliaro. The career can be ruined in a moment.
    It also made me kind of think of Juan Marichal accusing Roseboro of trying to nip his ear on throws back to the pitcher in their infamous brawl game.
    I remember one of Kuiper’s quotes from many years ago. During a telecast he said: “One of the first things you learn in baseball is that the little white ball hurts.”

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I couldn’t really tell how he got hit, because it had to be glancing blow. Did it hit a part of the helmet bill and then richochet off his nose? Had he gotten hit square on the nose, that would obviously have been a disastrous injury, so he’s fortunate otherwise. The throwing at people in baseball is dumb, but I don’t recoil over it. Last night with LA/Snakes was at the limit, if there is one, of the practice. Throwing at somebody’s head is beyond part of a game. Kennedy is a good pitcher, he could control the flight of the pitch better than throwing that high up on the body. Head hunting like that is way way out of bounds. He deserves a big suspension, as does Greinke, since he seems to be a multiple time offender. There should be a better way to deal with on-field “offenses”. Heck, Blanco got nailed in the ribs, wasn’t it? He could easily have broken ribs and be out six weeks, so there’s not really any great place to get hit, just less and more dangerous places…

25. zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 2:09 pm

The baseball gods are reminding us why it’s so hard to repeat as champions. The Giants just gotta try to hang in there, and stay close; stay in the playoff hunt somehow.
    And this is where DJ Loo would chime in and remind me that I’m using a lot of cliches. (grin)

26. zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm

When Gibson was facing off with McGwire last night, it kind of looked like an episode of “Longmire.” Gibson as Walt Longmire, the tough, crusty sheriff, trying to talk-down the angry redneck.

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Gibby’s got really really red cheeks, in the closeups I saw. Just an observation…

27. Macdog said, on June 12, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Flav: “For some reason, pinpoint control guy Paul Maholm is always up there too.”

So who did Maholm plunk today? Carlos Quentin.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

He and Kennedy have been 1/2 the last couple of years so that tells you something about how they pitch

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm

BF, I sent you an email…

28. snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I’m not going to sweat these injuries that much. Look at it as an opportunity for others to step up, including whoever it is at AAA that they feel should be able to help. At least it will allow them to show whether they have a future in the organization, or not. Maybe one of these guys like Perez or Abreu will turn into a Cody Ross or a Burrell redux. And, Arias is a better fielder at 3rd than Pablo, so that’s a plus. I don’t think any team in the West is going to run away with this thing, so unless the wheels come totally off, the Giants should be able to stay within hailing distance until August. Meanwhile, they’ll probably have to pick up a starting pitcher before the deadline, somewhere, somehow…

29. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Presented for your consideration:

“Angel Pagan and Pablo Sandoval are also said to be feeling much better, and Sandoval was visibly bouncy in the clubhouse. He looks like a guy who will be back on the first day he is eligible, and Bochy said that’s the way the club is viewing this. Pagan likely will not play this weekend in Atlanta, but he is eligible to return when he feels right. “

30. chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

We score, we win!

31. Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Alright Hunter. Two out RBIs are very nice.

• Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Come on Zits.

32. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Umm . . . Nice throw Arias. 🙂

33. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Another time I wished Panda was back.

34. Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm

OK, it looked to me like Craw was safe at first, no?

35. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Damn. You have to tip your hat to McCutchen . . . Sucker is good.

• Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Should have hit him. Kidding.
      I always wanted McCutchen on the Giants.

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I always wanted him on my Fantasy League teams, but weinies like Flav always drafted ahead of me. 🙂 😉

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm

He owns Pittsburgh; and from everything I can discern, he is a terrific guy and wonderful to the community. Plus, MVP material, every year now, it seems.

36. Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Come on Posey, what the fuck are you looking for.

37. Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Arias comes through. Tie game, we got us a ball game.

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm

All is forgiven Arias.

38. Macdog said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Top of the order, here we go again.

39. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Man, reading about Scutaro, it sounds tough. No choices sound good. Permanent impacts. Sigh. WE NEED THIS GAME.

40. Nipper said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Pirates are beating Zito good. 6-4 so far.

• Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Boo Hoo, Isn’t there an A’s game close to where you’re changing the oil of The Van.

41. snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

So, anybody still interested in paying Zits $18M next year, or re-signing him to a 3-year deal for $30M?
    Yikes. This Giants pitching staff is crap right now, the stats show it and the eyes observe it. Flemm just called it “in crisis” …

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

meh

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

My critique? Pathetique.

43. Bozo said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Fuck it.

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I mean, fer feck sake. Why are keeping Ramirez, except maybe to eat innings while giving up runs. What a CF this is.

45. snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Hembree can’t do better than Ramirez?

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Apparently not . . . I think Twin posted his most recent minor league numbers and he was underwhelming to the max. In short, no answers there.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Someone else posted them, but damnit they’re still bad if I do it 😉
        Last 10 games:
        10.1 IP 14 H 3 BB 12 K 0-2 6.10 ERA

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Heck, looks pretty good to me. Bring him up…

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I’m out. That’s it. Eat me. Raw. See ya.

47. snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Well, earlier today I said my choice was go Costanza oppo thinking and we had this one with Zito, or wish for a monsoon. Friggin weatherman didn’t come through with the rain. I suggest tomorrow’s game be cancelled and just head onto Atlanta. Pittsburgh seems very inhospitable the last few years…

48. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Shit. HR.

49. Macdog said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm

At least the shitty pitching takes my mind off the injury woes.

50. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm

For you ledge sitters . . .

51. snarkk said, on June 12, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Gnite Flappers. Hope for a salvage win tomorrow, and head 3-3 on the roadie into Hotlanta. I’d take that…

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm

‘Nite Tom.

• chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm

The pitching staff is shit right now, but I am not even close to any fucking ledges. Shit, we’re barely past the third way point of the season, and I can guarantee you, Sabean, Evans and Tidrow are working their asses off looking for some arms.

I mentioned earlier that Ramirez sucks. Well, after he pissed all over himself tonight…he double-sucks!

Agree with Snarkk – salvage the get-away tomorrow and head to Hotlanta 3-3. Which lines up nicely with that 4-5 roadie I said I could live with.

52. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Pfffffftttt!

53. blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Our pitching staff is making everyone look like world beaters. So many problems and so few answers.

54. Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I was at a swim meet all pm and those fucking suck. Every mother fucking last one of them. 🙂 They literally last longer than the history of recorded time. Or close to it. It makes it easy to tolerate this shit when I’ve got a gamer on deck. She won all 3 events except the butterfly that she missed when she was filling her fucking water bottle!
    I was a timer, all I could do is watch from afar as the water bottle transgression unfolded. Sigh…….
    Anyway, here’s the breaststroke, best of 4 heats….

Yeah, I’m braggin’ so what? You wanna talk about the Giants getting their asses handed to them, lol?

• Macdog said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Very cool. Tuesday I was at a banquet for my daughter’s softball team, so I thankfully missed the Giants game. She got the Most Improved Player award and a nice plaque to go with it, not bad for a freshman playing the varsity. As with your swim meet, this was a much better way to spend the night than watching the Giants get their asses kicked again.

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2013 at 7:57 am

I saw a few pics of her playing on your facebook page.Looks like a gamer. Congrats to her on the MIP! Next year MVP?

55. San Dawg said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Congrats to Katie! You’re bringing back some memories with those swim meet stories. My oldest was involved in that and we had some long days hanging out at the pool, keeping time, or making camp on about a 4X4 section of the pool deck. They often had some good grub at those meets though—for a good price. Give me a hot dog BBQ and a bake sale and I’m a happy man.

Totally missed the game except for a few updates on my phone. Sounds like a good game to miss. I gotta update my quality start stats just to see how bad they are now. Funny thing, is most people bash that stat saying 6 innings with 3 ernies is not demanding enough. Hell, it feels like the Giants have someone pull that off about 3 times a month these days.

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I hear ya on the quality start. Once a stat i ridiculed, now it’s a stat I look fondly back on, in a reminiscing sort of way…..

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm

and the prices for food suck. The burger is $5, whatever, it’s awful so I never get it. I usually take my own from home. And when I say my *own* I’m talking about that hotdog from Candlestick that those fuckers swindled me on back from the San Diggity Dawg game. I’m roll with a single bite every 6 months. I’m hoping it disintegrates before I finish it. 🙂
      But hey. the Margarita is club quality, one will get you ham-boned. $7. Nice.

56. zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Dodgers aren’t pitching to Goldy. And why should they? The league should take notice. Everything was down and away, and he has the choice of taking walks, or getting frustrated and flailing away at that outside stuff.

57. zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

The Giants’ people have their suspensions handed down already, but nobody from the LA/Arizona game has their suspensions yet? I’m guessing because it’s a complicate brawl, and MLB is still reviewing the film footage.

58. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm

How about the Return of the Unliving Dead? If Scooter goes DL, do you want one of these?
    Former Giants utilty guys, since 2010:
    Frandsen…. Philly 54 AB .259 BA .375 OBP .819 OPS 2 HR 8 RBI
    Burriss… Louisville AAA (Reds) 169 AB .254 BA .304 OBP .594 OPS 1 HR 14 RBI 7 for 11 SB
    Culberson …CSprings AAA (Rockies) 218 AB .280 BA .319 OBP .805 OPS 9 HR 36 RBI
    Conor Gillaspie …White Sox .248 BA .311 OBP .687 OPS 4 HR 14 RBI
    Theriot -not playing
    Velez …Buffalo AAA (Jays) 158 AB .285 BA .358 OBP .807 OPS 6 HR 20 RBI 12 for 14 SB
    Fontenot…Durham AAA (Rays ) 179 AB .246 BA .320 OBP .683 OPS 1 HR 19 RBI
    Tejada…KC 49 AB .306 BA .358 OBP .807 OPS 2 HR 8 RBI
    Keppinger…White Sox 205 AB .229 BA .234 OBP .498 OPS 2 HR 17 RBI
    Orlando Cabrera….out of baseball
    Bill Hall… Salt Lake AAA ( LAA) 73 AB .164 BA .282 OBP .515 OPS 1 HR 7 RBI
    Uribe…. LA 107 AB .271 BA .368 OBP .779 OPS 3 HR 12 RBI
    Rohlinger… Columbus AAA (Cleve) 131 AB .275 BA .371 OBP .717 OPS 1 HR 8 RBI

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Theriot’s intriguing, but he might not be in playing shape, or even interested at all.

• zumiee said, on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Abreu did well tonight. Maybe he can get it done. Maybe.

• chipower9 said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Theriot was not interested unless it was a starting job. He said he was quite happy to just hang out at home, and maybe get into working as an agent.

• salty said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Matt Downs AAA (Miami) .202

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

I missed him. He had a great year in Houston in 2011 went feet up since. Maybe Joe knows what happened.

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2013 at 6:21 am

Actually, I don’t think our reserve position players are the problem (at least they haven’t shown that to date). Last night for example, the new guys filled in brilliantly for Panda, Scutaro and Pagan. No issue there . . . Pitching is the concern right now in my opinion.

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2013 at 8:25 am

I didn’t say that the reserve position players were the problem, Blade.I simply asked if anyone was interested in any of our recent utility infielders if Scutaro went to the DL.
        I’m hugely aware that pitching is our main problem.

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2013 at 9:41 am

Agree. Actually, I should have put the comment somewhere else. No biggie . . . we’re on the same page.

59. Nipper said, on June 12, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Sniff……BOO HOO !!

60. eddacker said, on June 13, 2013 at 12:11 am

Good morning sports fans. Before I read the blog posts for Wednesday’s game let me say this:
    that musta been one painful 5 innings. A first inning run, tying the game in the 5th, and then BZ comes out to pitch.
    and now? My morning coffee and a read of your accounts.

61. willedav said, on June 13, 2013 at 6:53 am

caught good portion of first and third OTs of Stanley Cup finals opener (some days I just can’t handle an evening with Fosse), won by Hawks on shot that looked like it was deflected twice. Seems kind of funny that with all the places the NHL has expanded, this one comes down to two original six teams. last time that happened?