A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Nearly Sweeping the Pads And Baseball Players Are Idiots

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 20, 2013

We were a Will Venable miracle catch away from sweeping San Diego. The Padres worry me…..not. They got hot like all teams in baseball do and won 8 in a row. They have a fantastic manager but they aren’t a very good baseball team. It seems like all their batters are hitting around .235 and it’s not that far off since they have a team batting average of .249. Their pitching is underwhelming, they don’t have an ace on the staff and while their bullpen is solid their team ERA, supposedly a strength of the team, is 4.18. I’ll give you one guess of who the team is right in front of them in team ERA. It starts with a *C* and they play, apparently, in another country. Huston Street is always a slight human movement away from another DL stint. The Padres will find their rightful spot at the bottom of the division as the Summer rolls on….

The benches clearing was amusing and it was fun to see MadBum show some emotion. But it was another reminder that baseball players take themselves way too seriously. He threw behind Guzman because he got fired up after he hit a bomb the night before. Was it that bad? I sure didn’t think so. And can someone tell me why it’s ok to retaliate against a player for what Guzman did but it’s perfectly fine for Romo to storm off the mound every game a-hootin’ and a-hollerin’ and a-pointin’ and a-whatever else he’s doing? How come no one retaliates against a team the next day when their closer does that?

1. Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 am

I don’t know why Guzman was so pissed at a butt shot, unless it’s because he’s so butt ugly that he thought Bum mistook his ass for his face. Guzman should have been tossed just for keeping the bat in his hand. I thought Bum walking towards him and yelling, let’s go, was awesome. I think he said let’s go, but it could have been, I’ve wrestled cows that smelled better than you, you huckleberry asshole. I’m still not sure, I’m not that good of a lip reading.

Romo doesn’t bat, and if the pitcher retaliated the next day by hitting a batter, nobody would know why and the message wouldn’t be sent? That’s my guess anyway, plus most Closers aren’t considered right in the head in the first place.

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:40 am

Oh yeah, Jean Machi in the bench clearing. The dude came in looking like an assassin on a hit mission. I’m glad he’s on our side, he looks like he could do some series damage.

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:32 pm

When the announcers talked about Machi, the camera kept showing Mijares, who does *not* look like Machi, K and K…

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm

You are right. I was wrong.

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I wasn’t criticizing you. K and K go on and on about Mijares and Machi looking alike so when they said Machi was the guy getting aggressive and the camera showed Mijares just standing around, I thought it was funny.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 8:21 am

LMAO on the cow wrestling comment. Big Country would put a serious whoop-ass on Guzman. Good stuff, John.

I think your analogy on why Romo doesn’t get drilled could be accurate.

• Alleykat said, on June 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

Bum should have pulled out a cattle prod on Guzman then castrate his balls!!!

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Flying snot would be the biggest danger to Guzman…
        As to Romo, he celebrates after the last out of the game. It’s no different than a guy whooping it up after a walk off hit.

2. SanDawg said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:12 am

Nice one. Totally agree about Romo. I’d despise him if he played for another team. Even his chest thumping wannabe gangster reaction to closing out the series last year always make me cringe a bit during what should be a magical moment.
    I disagree on the Pads though. While they obviously are the least talented team in the division (IMO), I think they are going to hang around the rest of the division the rest of the way.
    I thought the whole Bum/Guzman thing was good baseball. Guzman did style that homer pretty good, and in my book, throwing behind someone’s waist is not as bad as burying one in their ribs or of course, headhunting. No punches were thrown, no one go ejected. I liked it. Guzie hit a bomb his next time up and I give him credit for that. He then did a more understated lap around the bases. All was taken care of on the field without meddling from the umps. Kind of like the Govt not meddling with the free market.

3. willedav said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:19 am

I was listening to Miller when the shit happened. Anyone who saw Guz antics after he hit the bomb night before knows that’s out of line. Bum delivered the msg,; according to Miller it was down around his hip. Pointing your bat and heading to the mound is f-ed up.
    If you want to take revenge, do it from the box and help your team win the game.
    I am not into celebration stuff of any kind on the field, and baseball is only getting worse (tho not near as bad as football, yet). The stuff like what happens in game winning rbis is childish, imo. And yeah closers shouldn’t get any extra leeway. This also leads to trickle down affect on kids, which is a bad message. Hey you do something well, fine, keep your head in the game and don’t show up your opponent. Just play ball and respect the game.

4. xoot said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:32 am

Yeah, that pointing-the-bat business was wrong. Without that aggressive move, Bum might’ve gotten busy shaking his head at the rosin bag, pretending he yanked the pitch accidentally. When he responded directly to the “threat,” he looked tough. (huckleberry indeed. That’s funny.)

Guzman’s a jerk, but he seems capable of learning. His HR celebration later in the game wasn’t too offensive, and he did hit the thing. Nice to see Romo strike him out, though.

All in all, nice series for los Gigantes, given the injuries they’re dealing with.

5. Nipper said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:49 am

Boys will be boys. Baseball is full of these things. Letting off some steam. Anyway a nice win.

6. willedav said, on June 20, 2013 at 7:51 am

Pads played us tough, and handled AZ before that, holding them to 6 runs in 3 games. Second game in a row SF got to their pen for a W, and I’d still say that is Giants edge over everyone else. I think for all teams in this division, if they get good pitching (even Sherpas) they can win. We’re all well aware of Giants own issues there, and not just in SPs.

Speaking of which, couldn’t help but notice Cliff Lee struck out 9 (6 IP 5 hits 2 runs) in win over Nats on Tuesday and lowered his ERA to 2.53. Expensive, but I’d feel a lot better with him on the mound, anywhere, than SF currently has on back end of rotation.

7. Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 8:16 am

I don’t know about Lee, willie. He’s going to be 35 this year and get’s $25 mil a year through 2015 (with a 2016 option that kicks in based on inning and health). I guess if the Giants were willing to eat the contract they wouldn’t have to give up much in trade, but Lee also has a limited trade clause (I don’t know if the Giants are on it or not).

• willedav said, on June 20, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m sure it would give the bean counters a case of apoplexy, but I feel Lee knows what he is doing and could give good value for a couple years as front line SP…as opposed to what the team has paid Z and Lincecum for last season and a half. Off hand I would think he’d feel a lot better in ATT than in bandbox Philly, plus the cooler weather here. I think one more top end rotation guy coupled with renewed health of LU regulars would put SF over top. I could understand younger/ cheaper option tho.

8. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 8:34 am

I don’t have a problem with a little celebration if it is not over the top. A fist pump going around first after hitting a go-ahead or game-winner is okay by my books. But what Guzman did night-before-last was out of line.

I think the whole situation was handled appropriately. Big Country only came at Guzman because he started toward the mound while also pointing the bat at Madison. I don’t think Guzman wants ANY part of that ornery and mad big ol’ country boy.

Here is an article from Bleacher Report a friend of mine passed along that talks about all the bad blood in the NL West (Fight Club Division). About 3/4 of the way down is a video window that captures the pitch by Madision yesterday and the ensuing benches clearing fracas. Also contains a brief clip of Guzman’s antics from the night-before.

We’ve discussed Lee before. As John mentioned, he is owed 25 mil each of the next two years, and there is a club option at 27.5 for the following year (12.5 buyout). The no trade clause includes 21 teams…and I too am not sure if the Giants are on that list (I have read where it does include the YankMees, RedSox, and Orioles). Regardless, with his age and that amount of coin, I don’t see it happening.

9. twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 8:48 am

Just make the wager, don’t need the novel, Flavor…money, electronics, MLB store, name it…Final regular season record: Nepal Sherpas vs. SoCal Patsys
    As far as the “brawl” and the “showing up” crap: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

10. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

The whole posturing in baseball, along with the ‘unwritten rules’ book is a bit too whitebread for me. No other sport seems to take themselves that seriously regarding showing up opponents. And what Guzman did wasn’t that crazy. The stupid bowling pin thing was worse, as it was staged. Guzman just got caught up in the moment. Like Bonds’ twirl after his home run in which Platsche (?) wrote an article stating it set the Dodgers back 10 years. Really? Is baseball and its players that sensitive to things like that?

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 9:25 am

And the fans encourage the nonsense by acting like these celebrations are an affront to everything that’s good and right about America. The bowling thing was silly, nothing more, IMO. The Giants responded appropriately by having Zits throw a 2 MPH bloop to Fielder’s fanny in ST…
      As far as Guzman, the guy backed up his bat pointing with some bat swinging- it’s not his fault that Gregerson blew it. Anyway, this little contretemps played out fine- “Guzzie” got his revenge, no one escalated the matter, and we got our win…

11. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2013 at 9:30 am

Well, the thing is, these can escalate to beanball wars like the one recently performed by the snakes and the dogs. Someone can die in that deal. Not that I’d cry too hard should HanRam meet his maker from a headhunting Kennedy, but . . .

I kid, I kid . . .

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

The way to deal with headhunting is not to outlaw harmless celebrations but to impose draconian penalties for throwing at or behind a guy’s head, IMO. I won’t go into the details of how I’d do it because I don’t want an argument about baseball’s sacred rite of throwing at people to retaliate for a bat flip, a “Dinger Dance”, or whatever. Yeah, he flipped his bat so we’ll throw a 90 MPH rock at his head…

12. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:25 am

Headhunting has no place in the game, and I agree it should be dealt with via some severe penalties.

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m still trying to figure out if that’s really Angel Pagan’s hair on the previous thread.

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:50 am

He bought it on Craig’s List from this guy:

hair

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hey, Flappers. Just want to share with you that a poem of mine is featured today at http://bardball.com/. My friend alerted me to the site. Pretty cool. Run by James Finn Garner, famous for Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. Check it out; comment there as Flappers if you like.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:45 am

that *friend* is Hart Seely, author of Holy Cow and The JuJu Rules

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Very cool. I did not know of this site…will definitely check it out. (And I did comment and mentioned The Flap.)

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:44 am

Magnus, can you put up some kind of counter for Orange Sombrero Night, or whatever it is being dubbed?

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

You mean as in how many Flappers have committed to attending the Flapalooza Sombrero Night? Are you coming out for it, Pawlie?

16. zumiee said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:58 am

Well….as much as I’d like to take credit for the win yesterday (grin)…..
    that was just good ol’ Giants baseball- good pitching, good defense, timely hitting (i.e. we score, we win.)
    Beautiful weather. Giants fans wearing World Series swag.
    A nice walk around the area after the game. Korean BBQ at the Yerba Buena food court.
    I caught a little bit of the infamous Monty for the first time, on KNBR on the ride home. Another Damon Bruce type. These are negative table-thumpers who seem to get their radio approach from Rush Limbaugh. Yuck.
    An Emmylou Harris CD was a much better choice for listening pleasure..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 11:03 am

thanks for the W — and I like Emmylou too

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Which Emmylou CD made the cut yesterday? Love me some Emmylou…been a fan for a loooong time (was at the front of the stage for her sound check at Hardly Strictly this year).

17. Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 10:59 am

Hey Flav, I thought you might like Craw’s take on meeting up with Cole the other night.

“Just a note on facing my sister’s boyfriend in Pittsburgh. As you might have read, my sister Amy has been dating Pittsburgh’s rookie pitcher and former Number 1 draft pick Gerrit Cole since they were classmates at UCLA. So she was at the game when he made his Major League debut against us last week. So was Jalynne, Jalynne’s mother and Gerrit’s family and friends. Amy tried to be neutral as she possibly could. She told me the Giants could win the other two games of the series, but she wanted Gerrit to win his debut. Which he did. The first time I was up, he broke my bat with a 97-mph fastball up and in. But I got a hit off him later.

After the game, Gerrit’s parents hosted dinner at a steakhouse across from the park. He was very professional, not gloating or anything. He’s not like that. When I showed up at the restaurant, I had a gift for him: my broken bat, signed.”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 11:03 am

I love shit like that. Very cool. Similarly, I’ve got a personal story about James Gandolfini I will pass along, from my brother, who is Buzz Knight in radioland.

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’d love to hear the Gandolfini story.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I too love stuff like this. Did this come off the “Brandon and Brandon blog?”

Would love to hear the story on Gandlfini, Pawlie. Loved his stuff. So sad that he left us at such an early age. RIP, big guy.

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Chi did come from the B & B blog. Belt put one on last night after the game, pretty cool. He talked about his wife going to visit Bum’s wife in NC doing “Hillbilly” stuff.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Very cool. I have read the blog off-and-on for some time…I just need to remember to get out there more often, as when I do, I really enjoy it.

18. blade3colorado said, on June 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

Joe Torre’s daughter, Christina, made the greatest “catch” ever made . . . A 1 year old baby from a two story building. Definitely qualifies as a heroine in my book.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

talk about *providential* — I guess that would be the infinite karmic opposite of being at the wrong place at the wrong time

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Good Hands!

19. twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 11:06 am

See ya later today…

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

from a friend of my brother’s, who sent this text, which was forwarded to me [I am leaving off the name of the originator because I do not know him and do not know how much he wants his name out there, but this is not some Internet FWD.]

With the passing tonight of James Gandolfini, I wanted to share a story about Jimmy. (That is what he was called on set, so please know that I’m not namedropping.)

As some of you know I worked on the Sopranos for the better part of 2 seasons. I worked as a set Production Assistant & enjoyed my time there. It was a grueling gig. As a set PA, you’re in for long days & nights. The weeks would start at 6am on Monday & by Friday they’d end at 6am on Saturday morning. Like I said, grueling.

One of my favorite stories from my time on The Sopranos was the 2nd or 3rd week I was on set shooting at the cemetery in Newark. It was July or August 2003. If you live on the East Coast, you know that as hot as it can get in New York City, the weather map always shows that Newark is the hottest place in the Tri-State area. Why this is remains a mystery – to me, anyhow. These few days were no different.

On the worst of those days, I walked into the house that we used as staging for the locations department around 11am. I heard the woman who ran that department say to someone over the phone, ‘Listen, that’s just what Jimmy wants…’ I chalked it up to the eccentric star demanding something unseemly or unrealistic, worse yet, on this 100 degree day in Newark, NJ.

About an hour later, a Mister Softee truck showed up just out of eyeshot of camera. The locations department came over the walkie-talkies at Noon and said, ‘From now until the end of today’s shoot, unlimited ice cream is available for anyone who’s involved with The Sopranos.’. The shoot ran until 1am.

I came to find out later that this was the demand that ‘Jimmy’ had made. He wanted ‘his people on his set’ to be taken care of. He knew they were long days for all of us. I was genuinely touched, as someone who’d been around news ‘celebrities,’ I was generally underwhelmed by these people. So, it was uplifting.

I also ate about 15 chocolate soft-serve cones with chocolate sprinkles over the next 12 hours.

Rest in peace, Jimmy. You were a good actor & a good man, man.

• unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Very cool, Pawlie. Funny thing is, you watch a show like the Sopranos, and one can (truly or falsely) get a sense of the real-life person behind the role. Gandolfini was one who seemed to embody the sense of how he protrayed himself. Sure, he played a major mob guy, but he also showed a lot of the vulnerable side to all that. In other words, be wasn’t the empty suit type doing the role and not giving any emotion to it.

Good stuff.

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 12:46 pm

When he wasn’t in role he always seemed like a fun and good-natured kind of guy, it’s nice to hear that he was.
      Thanks for sharing.

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Great story, Pawlie. Thanks for sharing. Again…so sad that he left us at such a relatively early age.

21. snarkk said, on June 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’m with BF on this one. Guzman jazzed up his run to first base a little on his HR the night before. He looked into HIS dugout, not the Giants’ dugout, as far as I know. So, that’s an offense worthy of a plunking? Dumb. And, whoever pointed out that Romo does that kind of S after every save is right, why doesn’t the other squad get pissed at that “showing up” exercise? Sheez, in the NFL, they live for the end zone “celebrations”. The only time I’ve seen another team ticked off was when TO ran to the star in the middle of the old Texas Stadium after his 2d TD, and then George Teague –one of the Dallas DBs –took him out. In baseball, this “showing up” business is just baloney…

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm

The difference with Romo’s is that the game is over, That’s a huge diff.
      But, no matter, it’s just a stupid juvenile and dangerous “part of the game” to throw at people to retaliate for actions that aren’t intended to injure anyone.

22. unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I think you’re right about the rest of the diviion. I think once this teams heathys up, we will begin to pull away. The team had a ton of road games in June, and were hurt besides. They managed to stick around the lead. Granted, the other teams in the west have been battling their own ssues, I just think we’ll end up the stronger for it all. July brings a lot of home games, so we should be able to make a strong run to get a lead going through next month.

23. zumiee said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Chi, we were listening to Emmylou’s album from a few years ago called “Hard Bargain.”
    We’re going to be seeing her and Rodney Crowell in concert this Saturday night in Berkeley at the Greek Theatre. They’re co-headliners with a group that I only have a little interest in called “Her and Him” or “She and I” or “She and Him,” something like that, honestly I don’t know.
    —–
    Earlier today I was posting some negative stuff about a KNBR broadcaster, and I meant to say it was “Monty” and instead I messed up and wrote “Marty.” I have fixed the mistake. Monty’s show I don’t like, Marty’s show I do like. (grin)

• unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm

My daughter’s going to be there. She and Him is that annoying chick who’s everywhere. Zooey Dechanel?

• zumiee said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I have to admit I haven’t given She and Him much of a listen yet. I haven’t done my homework yet. (grin)

• chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Awesome…enjoy the show. I dig Emmylou and Rodney Crowell too.

Gotcha on the mix-up. Yeah, I don’t care for that clown Monty (whoeverthehell he is). I dig listening to Marty Lurie…would love to kick back and have a few beers and talk baseball with him.

24. twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm

1. Gregor Blanco (L) LF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) C

4. Hunter Pence (R) RF

5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

6. Joaquin Arias (R) SS

7. Nick Noonan (L) 3B

8. Juan Perez (R) CF

9. Chad Gaudin (R) P

• Nipper said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm

That’s a Murderers Row for sure!

25. chipower9 said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hmmm…troubling that Crawford is still out. I saw a short video clip of him yesterday on CSNBA, and he was showing/talking about his fingers and said he did not anticipate missing more than a game.

26. twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Barry Zito’s father passed away Wednesday after a long illness at 84… R.I.P.

• unca_chuck said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Barry’s Zito’s dad was James Gandolfini?

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:34 pm

is there some significance in that comment ?

• Flavor said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I’m guessing it was a joke.

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What’s funny about it?

27. zumiee said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I bought the June issue of Giants Magazine at the ballpark yesterday (Sandoval on the cover.) There’s always cool things in the magazine, and lots of little tidbits. Maybe the rest of you already knew, and maybe it was mentioned on the Flap before, that Chad Gaudin got a World Series ring with the ’09 Yankees. I don’t remember hearing that. That’s pretty darned cool for him.

28. salty said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Condolences to the Zito family.

29. salty said, on June 20, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Surely CSN has better pics of Barry.

30. Flavor said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm

“twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm (Edit)
    The difference with Romo’s is that the game is over, That’s a huge diff.”

So when Prince fielder did his bowling ball thing that was ok because the game was over?

• twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm

There is no action or celebration that isn’t intended to hurt someone that warrants being hit with a baseball in retaliation. Since Fielder was only plunked in the ass by a blooper that was never intended to hurt him, I actually think that Zito understood that you don’t try to hurt a man for a dumb celebration. So good on Zito.

• Flavor said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Well you said the diff with Romo is that the game is over and I was pointing out that the game was over when Fielder did the bowling pin thing and the Giants retaliated against him. But you said that when the games over, Romo can do what he likes. Cause the games over.
        And my point, is that the game being over has nothing to do with it.

• Bozo said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Zito’s anger probably died down a bit after waiting 6 months to hit Fielder.

31. twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm

If you’re attempting to make another argument, skip it. But I didn’t say that Romo could do “whatever he likes”. I was making the distinction the players make about celebrating. Fielder’s was different because he made it a carnival act. So in that respect Fielder’s was not “OK”. BUT AS I SAID, “There is no action or celebration that isn’t intended to hurt someone that warrants being hit with a baseball in retaliation”. I gave Zito slack because he clearly was retaliating in jest more than anger. Hell, a couple umps were fucking laughing.

32. twinfan1 said, on June 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm

How about an early Gametime thread?