A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Dream That Brings, Hopefully, A New Reality

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 26, 2013

I had a dream last night. Donnell Nixon was playing LF for us. Puig hit a sky high ball into short left field. It must have been half a mile up there. At it’s peak, San Dawg would be looking at the ball at eye level. I’m talking WAY up there. πŸ™‚ Nixon came in, had it all the way and then all of a sudden his feet were trapped in the grass, almost like quick sand. But he still kept going for the ball, he stretched his glove arm out (in the dream he was left handed) and leaned his whole body to the right. He was totally laid out, stretching…reaching…you could see his whole arm straightened, stretched and shaking to reach the ball that was coming down. Finally, the ball hit right in the center of the glove, staying in it, but the glove actually came off his hand (he was reaching as far as he could) and it just lay there peacefully in the grass with the ball nestled inside of it. The umpires huddled together and decided to give Puig a home run since the glove technically wasn’t on Nixon’s hand for the entirety of the catch. And then Puig, who had been awaiting the ruling, ran around the bases in a full *one flap down* trot.

At that moment I woke up mumbling to myself, “fuck… this… guy…” No caps or exclamation points, too groggy……

And sparing all of us any Freudian analysis of my dream, it really is how things are going for the Giants these days. I try not to use the word *luck* and I loath the word *jinx* but the ball just has not been bouncing our way lately. Venable’s catch, Crawford just missing Puig’s base hit a couple of night’s ago, Dumb-Ass Eye Goggle Boy hitting a home run off the foul pole (or barely inside of it, I couldn’t tell) and finally Matt Kemp going *poor man’s Venable* to hand us the loss last night.

And don’t even get me started on what the fuck Dunning was doing with that pick off *attempt*. But he is another reminder of a guy who is wearing an SF jersey who isn’t a World Champion SF Giant. And we have more than a few of those guys on the roster right now….

Injuries, stupid plays, the opposition making great plays, it all adds up to…..well….what happened to Donnell Nixon in my dream. And I truly believe that this can’t go on all season. Did Matt Kemp slapping the wall break this weird run against us? I’d like to think so. Have things gotten so desperate that I need to awake Anna from her Summer slumber? Not yet. I don’t have the answers other than believing completely that the answers will come. And the only way to get through stretches like this is to collectively believe the same thing. If we can come together for a knowing dude head nod we can stay together during tough times like this one. Remember that. Because nothing should piss any of us off more than freaking Puig circling the bases with one flap down to celebrate a home run that he did not hit…..

1. blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2013 at 6:41 am

The Bums have handed us our third loss in a row and eighth in 11 games, dropping us under .500 for the first time since losing to the Dodgers on opening day. Shit, we haven’t been below the break-even mark in any season since 2008, when we finished 72-90 in Bochy’s second year as manager.

I think we have been out homered 19-5 over our last 15 games. I read this column, which said, “The Giants could hit and then they couldn’t, and they couldn’t pitch and then they could, so each time they solve something, a little something else goes wrong. The Dodgers don’t have it even that good, to the point where Buster Posey falling down while rounding third (as he did Monday night at Dodger Stadium) counts as deft run prevention.”

I have no idea if our players falling while running is a good sign, but I will take any good news at this point. πŸ™‚

2. willedav said, on June 26, 2013 at 7:10 am

I can doom it up with anyone, but the other teams in this division just don’t scare me; no one is running away with this. Pads we just got through handling despite Venable, and Street as closer sucks. DBax we whipped while short handed in their yard. Sherpas, no. And as has been pointed out it has taken monumental acts of baseball gods (and a couple mistakes by kid pitchers) for us to drop two to LA.
    Torres, btw, appears to have regained his form in the OF, making a few nice grabs in LF.
    I hope wherever he is, donnell stays as far away from cousin Otis as possible.

• Nipper said, on June 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

Willie D. is not scared! News at Noon!

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Nipper reporting live from McCovery Cove in Kayak News One . . .

3. Macdog said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:37 am

It’s a good thing you woke up, or else Angel Hernandez would’ve checked the replay and confirmed it as a homer.

4. Nipper said, on June 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

bleep!

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’m confused. Nipper just changed his post. Nipper’s a stable-boy?

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

Nipper’s original post was very trollish; I’m just glad it got changed, whoever changed it.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:29 am

I requested that Craig take care of it. Now go Giants, we need a big game from Timmy.

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thanks.

• Flavor said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

I changed his post. He was shit disturbing.

• Nipper said, on June 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Oh sniff……I’m now a troll! Well I’ve been called worst things. C’est la vie. BOO HOO!

• eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Damn, nipper finally says a few words and I missed it, (even if they were bad words, I just hate missing things)

5. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Flavor – that wasn’t a dream, that was a fucking nightmare. Erase, delete, and move on brother!

I have said a number of times over the past few weeks (months?) that I am nowhere near looking for a ledge. Not even close. WillieD sums it up nicely in that no one is running away with this thing. Our boys in the Orange and Black have some injuries and are scuffling (as Steve mentioned, they cannot seem to hit on all cylinders these past few weeks).

Given everything this team has weathered to date, and to still be only 3.5 out, I am not tripping at all. And I will make one bold (well…it seems bold the way the team has struggled of late) prediction…I still think our Giants win the West.

Fuck the D-Backs, Fuck the Sherpas, Fuck the Friars, and especially FUCK the Fucking Fuck Bums.

Our boys will get healthy. The stars will align and they will play the way we know they can play. And Sabes will go get whatever pieces we need and won’t break the prospect bank doing it.

Not a Doomer, and I certainly am not a Polly…just calling it the way I see it.

GO GIANTS! BEAT LA!

6. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I’m not a big fan of the SoCal teams, but I was pulling for UCLA in the CWS. Saw the first couple of innings last night prior to dashing off to my class, and the kids from UCLA won their first CWS title.

The starter for UCLA, Nick Vander Tuig, was drafted by the Giants. He went 8 strong. No runs, 5 hits, 1 BB and 6 Ks, 117 pitches.

UCLA’s team this year reminds me of the Giant teams of the past couple of years. Great pitching. Solid D, and just smart baseball.

Looking forward to seeing how Vander Tuig does for our Giants.

7. Macdog said, on June 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm

If Blanco is going to be an everyday player now, he better get used to hitting lefties, especially a loogy reliever. Twice in the last week — first in one of the Marlins games, and then last night — he struck out with a runner in scoring position in the later innings. I know that’s an extremely small sample and maybe a bit unfair, but that’s likely what he’s gonna be facing in big spots the rest of the season.

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

That’s why when we were talking about the team’s needs the other day (priorities)…especially when it looked like Crazy Horse was going to miss most of the rest of the season, I said that right after a starting pitcher, next I thought they needed an OFer. I just don’t think either Blanco or Torres as everyday OFer material. And if you don’t go outside the org to get someone, then bring Kieschnick up and let’s see what he has.

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Shit, if it doesn’t get any better Chi, throw Gary Brown out there. Whatever sticks to the wall.

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm

He did much better last year (even better against lefties vs. righties), with a .248 BA vs. .242 BA. This year, you’re right, he is only hitting .222 against them (small sample size as you pointed out – 36 ABs . . . and that’s one reason why he is platooned).

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Are we abandoning Juan Perez already? Although I have to say his inability to get a bunt down last night in a crucial situation was pretty brutal.

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I like Woo Hoo Perez.

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Zumie – I like Perez alot, but until he can learn to take a pitch (and after last night…lay down a bunt), I don’t see him as being everyday material.

8. eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Miami continues its winning ways today. Washington fans are in much worse shape than SF fans. Ditto for at least 5 other teams. It is baseball and the NL doesn’t have a DH, how cool is that?

9. Flavor said, on June 26, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I think Perez is just pressing too hard at the plate. He doesn’t walk and he swings at everything. Until he changes his approach at the plate, I don’t see him getting too many opportunities except against lefties….

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Exactly…had not seen this post prior to my last response to Zumie…

10. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm

According to Henry it will be Torres and Perez tonight. Torres and Blanco have been both been assets, BTW.

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Not saying they are not assets. I like the energy both bring to the team, I just don’t believe they are starting OF material.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Perez is not being abandoned, he was not brought up replace anybody. He would be getting more starts if Andres had continued to have difficulties in the field, but he’s been very good. Juan is the 4th OFer, that’s his job.
      Here are the lines fot the OFers, FYI:

Pence 305 AB 12 HR 40 RBI .292/.335/.830 ( BA,OBP,OPS )
      Pagan 187 AB 3 HR 24 RBI .262/.314/.688
      Blanco 226 AB 1 HR 26 RBI .296/.351/.745
      Torres 175 AB 2 HR 18 RBI .269/311/.699
      Perez 31 AB 0 HR 3 RBI .290/.303/.626

1. Andres Torres (S) LF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) 1B

4. Hunter Pence (R) RF

5. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

6. Juan Perez (R) CF

7. Hector Sanchez (S) C

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

• Nipper said, on June 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

What a lineup! Yes a DH is needed. Definitely.

11. paulinasia said, on June 26, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Non-baseball related, and this will get lost once the game-time thread goes up, but for those of you who participated recently in all of the Jeff Airplane/Hot Tuna discussions… I’m staying at my folks’ now in East Stroudsburg, PA, just over the Delaware River from Joisey, and there’s a little old theatre here called the Sherman Theatre, hundred years old, and it brings in amazing (old) acts from time to time. I drove by there today and something caught my eye on the marquee: Hot Tuna. Saw this on their website today:

“July 25th (Thur) 7:30 PM Hot Tuna: From their days playing together as teenagers to their current acoustic and electric blues, it’s always been about consistency in rock music with Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady, the founders and continuing core members of Hot Tuna. Formerly of Jefferson Airplane, Jorma and Jack have continued on as Hot Tuna, both acoustic and electric, for years and years, bringing in new musicians but keeping their sound mostly the same.Tickets are $25, $35, and $40.” Damn. I’ll be back in San Francisco by then.. what a trip that would be. Love to see old small venues still doing this kind of thing. East Stroudsburg, PA. Go figure. Rock on, ye elder gentlemen of tremendous music from days gone by…

• chipower9 said, on June 27, 2013 at 7:38 am

I missed the Airplane and Hot Tuna thread. Too bad you missed the show…would have been awesome. I saw Hot Tuna a couple of times in the 70s at Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa, OK (classic place that has provided live music since 1924, and even now, still brings in great music).

12. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

You might get ready for the return of Noonan, Arias might be headed to the DL by Friday…
    Kickham will start again on Monday against Cincy..
    Bochy said Belt is “making strides”….OPS: last 4 weeks .821 last 2 weeks .895 last 1 week .992. Yes sir, sounds like strides to me.
    Another pitcher may be added for the the Sherpa and Reds series..how we do dat? We don’t have anybody. Fleet? Ramirez redux?
    It’s a darn good thing I usually edit this stuff. I had him as “Lickham”
    Yep, Dewey, Lickham, and Howe..

13. paulinasia said, on June 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Yeah, Michael, these injuries are getting bothersome. Of course more to the players themselves than to us couch couscous, but still. The more we see Noonan, the more that means this team has problems…. Another pitcher? Despite Sabean’s comments that nothing will be done soon, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a deal for the likes of Nolasco or some such very very soon….

14. Flavor said, on June 26, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Kuip was relentless this morning on his show. I’m a neutral Belt fan but even after his great game he said (paraphrasing a little you can listen to it all on Knbr.com) “belt needs to start driving 93 mph pitches into right center. It was nice that he hit a hanging breaking ball out, but the Giants want him to start driving the ball to right center. Not blooping balls down the left field line.”
    This sounds absurd but go listen to murph and Mac this morning, this is almost word for word (of course I’m 4 beers into this swim meet so I might have missed a word or two.”

• snarkk said, on June 26, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Yep, Belt has a multihit game, and the broadcasters are still dissing him. Kuip might want to discuss that Belt has an OPS about 30 points higher than Panda, and exactly ONE less HR than our MVP — batting 3rd and 4th all year, not 6th or 8th, who is making oh, about $166.5 million more than Belt…

• eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:11 pm

TWO HRs less, now.
        I have been pro Belt since the first time I watched him play/bat/run. Unfortunately I am beginning to see the giants brain trust dis-trust of all that talent. I continue to pray I am wrong and really want to see the taller Brandon get some big offensive plays.

15. paulinasia said, on June 26, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Agree. WTF does Belt have to do to get some credit, praise, or even just leave him the hell alone. Belt is not the problem. I sure hope it’s not because they all think his wife is too fat, or because he doesn’t give them blowjobs like other players maybe do, or or or… It’s really stupid, actually, and someone needs to call them out on it.

16. snarkk said, on June 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Giants need to try something different against Kershaw. He’s dominated them to an unbelievable degree. Back out on him often, mess up his timing. Feign a bunt or actually bunt. Tired of this guy making them look like pussies…

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Dingers work, too πŸ˜‰

• snarkk said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:27 pm

MVP must have seen my grousing above, wants to start earning that contract… πŸ˜‰

17. eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Loved the KNTV announcers’ explanation (per Bruce) of why Belt is not playing tonight: Kershaw cast an evil spell on him last time they met in LA and may have had a voo-doo doll available for tonight’s start.

18. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm

That was not exactly a prime effort from the Puigie..

19. snarkk said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Puig — stoopid play.
    Good defense by Torres. When he deserves credit, he should get it. Good throw….

20. snarkk said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Hector is really NOT a good defensive catcher. And, it cost Lincecum the lead. Ethier should have been out by 5 feet, but a bullshit throw allowed the steal. Tim’s lost the edge on his slider at this point…

21. eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Heck, Hector
    I thought we decided Tim does better with a different catcher.

22. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hector will likely be back in Fresno by the weekend.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:58 pm

There was already speculation that a catcher would go down and a 13th pitcher up for the rest of the road trip. I think Hector might have settled who goes down with this awful inning.
      That’s not say that Timmy was an innocent bystander.

23. snarkk said, on June 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Gnight…

24. James said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Mrs James: “Our Sept. NYC vacation is not looking good. Chicago is a fun town, too!”
    James: “i would be ok with the utterly dimwitted baseball ‘experts’ treatment of Belt if they would just fucking win.”

25. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm

The RH set up job has been so fluid that a couple outings can either earn a guy the job or a ticket to Fresno….
    .We’ve all said it, the cry has been heard through out the land:
    WE WANT CASILLA!!!

26. eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:19 pm

what we really want is a new dream, this one isn’t working.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

You’re the last one I expect to have his dauber down, Ed. There’s always a bright side. You gonna be here for awhile? I’ll get back to you on that..

• eddacker said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, ever since I started getting up to watch games the team went on a losing streak.
        I suck and the Giants players can feel it then they react accordingly.

27. James said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Not a single strike to Pence . . . .

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 10:04 pm

This Posey at 1st nonsense has to end. There were a minumum 4 plays that would been made with Posey catching and Belt at first. If Belt struck out 4 times on 12 pitches, they were still better off.

• James said, on June 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I agree, TF, but the staff also gave up 23 hits over the last two nights. I look at the Braves’ runs scored/runs allowed season numbers, and keep coming back to the macro stats, even when, e.g., individual players have dumb ABs.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm

They were losing this game anyway. And I don’t have a particular problem with Belt sitting against Kershaw. But Hector should only catch when Buster sits, If Buster plays first, Quiroz should catch. But it should be academic by Friday, Hector will probably be headed for Fresno.

28. salty said, on June 26, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Pablo due to crush one. Last 84 abs 2 xbh’s.

29. TedSpe said, on June 26, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I am getting so fucking tired of watching this shit

• Nipper said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I concur.

30. zumiee said, on June 26, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Think positively. At least the sun won’t burn out for another billion years. Scientists used to say 500 million years.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Well, that’s just swell. I had the “under”…

31. Nipper said, on June 26, 2013 at 11:02 pm

BLEEP III

32. eddacker said, on June 27, 2013 at 7:26 am

Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com reports that the Dodgers are “deep into trade talks” with the Marlins regarding Ricky Nolasco.
    “There have been interesting discussions. Hard to know if anything’s close right now,” Saxon’s source said. The Marlins seem ready to move Nolasco well before the trade deadline, as they have Henderson Alvarez (shoulder) nearing a return from the DL and would like to just slide him into Nolasco’s spot. The Rockies, Giants, and Padres are among the other clubs that reportedly have interest in the right-hander.

33. blade3colorado said, on June 27, 2013 at 7:43 am

Giants? Well, if this statement is accurate, I don’t think the Giants have ANY interest, especially with the apparent “price” bandied about with regard to any possible deal being made . . .

β€œTHE PRICE OF DOING BUSINESS RIGHT NOW IS PROHIBITIVE. WE’RE NOT GOING TO BE DOING BUSINESS. WE’D SPEND ALL OUR MONEY OR CLEAN OUT THE FARM SYSTEM.”
    – GM Brian Sabean, indicating he will wait until closer to the July 31 trade deadline to pull the trigger on any deals.”

• paulinasia said, on June 27, 2013 at 8:32 am

Word out of Miami was trading Nolasco would mostly just be a salary dump, they’re not looking for prospects. That sounds strange, but it is Miami, afterall. I would have no problem with the Gints just buying the guy outright (Sabes said money is not an issue), if that’s true, and the sooner the better. If it’s not true, then yeah, no trade will be happening anytime soon.

• chipower9 said, on June 27, 2013 at 8:40 am

This could just be Sabes putting on his best poker face. Unless the Bums seriously outbid him, I think he will pursue this trade aggressively, as it is readily apparent he will be a buyer this year. Agree with Paul’s comments that the Fish are simply looking for a salary dump.

34. paulinasia said, on June 27, 2013 at 8:29 am

Love Bochy’s quotes from time to time. Henry summarizes this one about Hector’s performance in that 6th inning: “Bochy believes Sanchez would have thrown out Ramirez and Ethier trying to steal had he not dropped the ball on the first one and thrown in the dirt on the second.” Uh… right. But… he dropped the ball, and he threw the other one in the dirt. I would’ve married Miss Universe if I had been younger and more handsome and richer than everyone else in the whole wide world. I’m guessing Bruce was kind of biting his tongue when he said that…. bye bye Hector, please don’t come back.

• chipower9 said, on June 27, 2013 at 8:41 am

And if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. I agree…buh-bye Hector.

35. eddacker said, on June 27, 2013 at 9:00 am

You guys are such fun, thanks for being here in these difficult and dark times of my SFGiants soul.

36. chipower9 said, on June 27, 2013 at 9:36 am

I don’t know what it is…maybe the fact that our boys have won it all two of the past three years, but I just don’t get wound around the axel like I used to. Hell, before 2010 if the Giants had just got swept by the Bums, and were below .500 at this stage of the season, friends would be trying to talk me off the ledge. It isn’t that I don’t want the Giants to win (and especially to kick the Dodger’s asses!)…I do. I just don’t get too worked-up over it all.

And I will say it again. I think Sabes will land a starter. This will move Gaudin back to the pen where he belongs. Casilla will be back soon. Others will get healthy. No one is running away with the West…and I still believe the Giants will win the West.