A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

We Scored 1, We Didn’t Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 29, 2013

I found it rather amusing that Zito made an unintentional yet veiled reference to one of the Flap’s mantra’s last night after the game: “Who scores first, that’s a telling thing,” Zito said.

The Giants offense has been on a slow slide for a while now. Everyone likes to reference their batting average because it feels reinforcing to see them at or near the top in that category. But teams don’t compete with their batting averages, they compete with runs. And as we are just about to wrap up June the Giants find themselves at the bottom of the National League in that category with a measly 84 runs produced. In fact, they are 29th out of 30 teams in all of baseball. Their pitching, while underwhelming, hasn’t been as bad as the offense. The staff has given up 108 runs which is right around the middle of the league (they’re 9th but the two teams ahead of them have given up 109 runs).

Posey’s hitting. And contrary to what you hear from KNBR talk show hosts, Blanco and Belt are hitting, too. And that’s it. Pablo has come back to go 2-15. Crawford and Scoots can’t feel their fingers and they’ve hit .200 and .244 respectively in their last 15 games. Pence .236 in his last 15, Torres .222……

It’s all pretty uninspiring…..

So we wait and hope. Some of us pray. Last year the team added Pence and Scoots and that did wonders for our momentum as well as the ultimate results in the standings. Will Sabean break off a big turkey bone or is he just gonna have a salad? With about a month to go before the deadline, that’s a question all Giants fans are wondering. Heck, Sabes is probably wondering the same thing himself….

1. blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 6:47 am

I went to the game last night and other than the excellent gourmet Helton burger I ordered at the Helton Burger Shack, the game was a yawner. The only saving grace is that I got out of there before an unbelievable rain, thunder and lightning storm hit the area, immediately following the game. Ha.

I may be heading to Canada tomorrow (no, not to escape the Giants) on a road trip with a buddy. Spur of the moment trip. We are going to Banf, Canada immediately, almost a 17 hour drive – which should be interesting in his brand new Mustang, sporting a 500 HP engine. After a few days there, we are going to hit the States again in time for the 4th of July weekend (Billings, Montana, Yellowstone, and/or Jackson Hole, Wyoming).

Flav, make it official for me being at the Orange Sombrero Night – I booked a Southwest flight w/frequent flyer mileage for the trip, August 16th through September 9. Looking forward to seeing you at Gold’s and the rest of the Flapper mugs at the September 7th game.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:29 am

Excellent. And have fun in Canada

2. willedav said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:13 am

If you look at Z numbers this year they are very close to last season with a few exceptions. He has made half as many starts, walks and Ks about equal, and despite last night fewer bombs. But, his WHIP is at career worst, and he is *on pace* to give up 17 more runs than last year. ERA is at 4.53 as opposed to 4.15 of 2012. He is giving up more hits than ever before by almost 2 a game.
    Unless he somehow pulls a rabbit out of his hat (but that trick never works according to R J Squirrel) and puts together a few quality starts, you have to realize what you have—a strictly aveerage bottom end of anyone that wants to contend’s rotation. More than anything, I hate to see his name associated with a philosophy for which I have much respect and admiration.
    I do worry about Sandoval and his lack of XBH this year; hopefully another week or so of steady play will turn things around and he can be a force in the middle of LU. The Giants LU up and down the order still seems pretty strong to me if all we are missing right now is Pagan. Posey has started to whack, and if he gets some more help from those around him Giants should be able to score more than they have lately.
    But I agree wholeheartedly with PK about the timing being right for a Pence inspiration. “Hey a lot of trade talk going down about who Sabes is gonna bring in here from somewhere else to help us start winning games and get out of this slump. I don’t care because I don’t want nobody except us. We won it all last year, every one of us together, and we can win it all again. Cuz ain’t nobody and no team better than us.”

3. willedav said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:21 am

One other number on Z—the team has now won 4 of his 16 starts this year…and I will leave it to greater minds than mine to explain the reason those numbers are so much different from last season.

4. Bozo said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:25 am

Baggs seems to think Jake Peavy would be a good fit. Time for another white flag trade?
    “Trade chatter is gaining more volume every day. The Giants haven’t had much in the way of discussions with the White Sox yet, from what I understand.”

“But let’s just say there’s interest in Jake Peavy. And from what I understand, it could be mutual. If he’s healthy, and he’s expected back from his broken rib in another 2-3 weeks, there simply isn’t any better fit for the Giants.”

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:32 am

If they throw in Rios that could work. He can replace Pence next year when he leaves

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:53 am

Me? I like this trade rumor because he got off to a fantastic start this season, throwing 61 innings with a 2.97 ERA and 63/15 K/BB ratio through late May (although he did turn in back-to-back stinker outings and then suffered the rib injury). It’s been awhile since he has been in the NL, but I also like the fact that he is familiar with the NL West (member of Padres), so that probably wont be a mystery to him. He also wouldn’t have to contend with the DH, so pitching should be easier here. He’s due back shortly after the All-Star break. I am surprised a bit that Baggs thinks “. . . there simply isn’t any better fit for the Giants.” His salary of $14.5 million isn’t cheap and he is signed for that next year too. He is also 32 years old. Last, but not least, he says he doesn’t want to be traded – He likes playing in Chicago.

Anywho, I give this “trade rumor” a 3 in Technical Difficulty (putting an acceptable trade proposal together) and 4.5 on Execution (trade actually happening), Total score of 3.75. Next . . . 😉

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:08 am

Peavy has a little “Tulo” in him but it’s a risk/reward thing.
        Btw, I watched that play Tulo busted his rib like 6 times and still don’t know how THAT is what cause the injury. It looked like a normal, everyday SS dive to me

5. Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

Peavy/Rios shouldn’t cost much with all
    that dough they’re still owed. The thing is, we could really use them next year so it’s salary worth taking on (IMO)

6. blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:18 am

Flav, probably unbeknownst to you or anyone outside Denver – he had been experiencing rib issues (they were extremely sore) prior to the actual rib being broken. Yeah, I thought the play wasn’t a big deal either, until I found out that he already had rib issues. Weiss, his manager knew about this, and I think he now regrets playing him a bit too much without rest. However, he pointed out that he didn’t have too many other options (Rutledge was in Triple A) and Tulo’s bat is needed in the lineup.

7. SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:44 am

Blade-I’m fleeing the country as well–beach camping for a few days in San Felipe, Mexico. Like you, the trip was not motivated by the Giants recent slide, but getting away from following them closely for a couple of days might do my dauber a bit of good.
    It’s gonna be a tad bit warm down there, I do believe.
    Peace Flappers!

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:03 am

Quite cool. Do you SCUBA dive? A bit further south is some of the best SCUBA diving in the Sea of Cortez. Good deal regardless – I love Mexico, especially most of the coastal regions (such as the Yucatan peninsula, e.g., Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel).

• SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:55 am

No SCUBA for me, but I’ve always thought that sounded really cool. We’ll swim a bit and might go to these natural hot springs that are right on the shore in one spot. If you time the tide right, its a pretty fun spot to relax and swim with a few cold ones.

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:09 am

“Like you, the trip was not motivated by the Giants recent slide, but getting away from following them closely for a couple of days might do my dauber a bit of good.” I was thinking about this line, along with what I said about getting away from the Giants too . . . Actually, a better motivation for me is getting away from my fantasy league teams – The Flap team I am running into the ground (yes Flav, with my EPIC fuckup last night streaming Santiago, along with Addison Fuck me in the ass Reed putting the finishing touches on my out of sight ERA and WHIP) and the other two teams that are in first and seemingly running themselves. 🙂

8. eddacker said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:51 am

Just because this team has won 2 WS recently there seems to be some people on this blog that think this is a new and different San Francisco Giants baseball club.

It isn’t. It is the same team that came here many moons ago. It is the same team many of us grew up with. It has just pushed through the BS; played through the pain and figured out how to win.

Now that we understand each other I will leave you with one of the great truths of this great team: June Swoon.

Go Gigantes!

• salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:12 am

Uh?

• SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

This certainly qualifies as a June Swoon. Great point—I’m surprised no one has brought it up before. I remember watching the Giants on the Game of the Week when I was a kid and they did a little pre-game bit asking some of the players what their thoughts were on the Giants’ seemingly annual June Swoon. I remember Mike Ivie was one of the guys they spoke to and he said something amusing about not knowing what a “swoon” was. I loved me some Mike Ivie back in the day.

• SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

….and we all know who Mike Ivie was traded for—-right???

9. SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:55 am

…and I apologize for the use of the term “dauber,” which brings to mind Ron Fairly. Which brings to mind one of the low points for me in SF Giants history. We couldn’t even be provided a decent announcer who had at one time some sort of connection to the Giants. Instead, we were forced to listen to a crappy announcer who spent the bulk of his career with the Dodgers. Pisses me off still to this day.
    In a way, it is a good reminder of some of the lows we’ve had over the years and a reminder that despite this rough month, the overall SFG package these days is pretty fucking awesome.

10. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

All teams have hitting slumps, they’ll get through this because they’re a good hitting team. As to Rios, I just don’t see Sabean taking on another big contract for a guy with the inconsistency that Rios has exhibited. This is a dude who, just year before last, had a wRC+ of *59*, an OBP of .265, a .613 OPS . Whatever his numbers are now, a guy who is capable of putting up one 2011 is capable of another. I’ll put it in clear perspective; his 2011 was worse than Rowand’s 2011.
    As to starting pitchers, there’s more talk about Matt Garza, as he’s shown that he’s sound again. Like Nolasco, he’s a FA after this year, but I think the Cubs are going to want too much…I like Gallardo a lot, but I’m liking Cliff Lee more and more. They’ll be able to afford him, and at 34 I’m not worried at all about him for two more years, It would take a lot- Crick is a given goner. Craig’s package for Norris should get it done. Lee is the only possibly available starter who is a true “one”. I like Norris as well, and he has the best contract status but the guy’s a “3” who will get a “1” package in return. If we’re going to pay for an ace, we should get one..
    All of this is in my very humble opinion…

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm

For me, Crick is off the table for anyone in return. He stays a Giant to sink or swim…

11. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

1. Andres Torres (S) LF

2. Tony Abreu (S) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) 1B

4. Hunter Pence (R) RF

5. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

6. Juan Perez (R) CF

7. Guillermo Quiroz (R) C

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Matt Cain (R) P

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m not much of a LU basher but this one has a little something for anybody to hate..which means what? Probably 7 runs Giants…

• salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

Will take Buster hitting 4 hrs.

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:25 am

Didn’t we have Fontenot batting third for a while last season? 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

Fontenot didn’t play here in 2012 but he did hit 3rd in 9 games in 2011, 7 as a starter. He had an odd line- 6 for 27, .222 BA .371 OBP, .927 OPS 2 HR 6 RBI.

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:44 am

Since he was 3-4 with a HR and double, Belt has now sat 2 of 3 games, and in the one he had our only other hit other than Buster’s ( last night) He’s hitting .321 against LHers. This one is a true puzzler. Trade? If not, this is seriously FUCKING STUPID…

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:44 am

Wow, time flies. That kind of blows my mind that Fontenot didn’t play for the Giants last season. Time needs to slow the heck down. 🙂

• James said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

And the other Brandon batted third this year for a game. Bochy in his wildest dreams wouldn’t put Belt in the hallowed 3 spot.

Belt also was robbed of a hit on another play that would have scored a run. But he struck out against Brothers, and Bochy is making sure to punish the recalcitrant, weak-minded hick.

12. SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

….one more story and then I’m off to Mex and I’ll return you to your regularly scheduled programming. At my junior high in Woodland in the late 70’s, if you got sent to the office for disciplinary reasons, there was a possibility you’d get your ass swatted with a wooden paddle. (The principal would then have you sign the paddle—which I always thought was a nice touch) One time, I was in there (it may have been the time we had rainy day PE in a 2nd floor classroom and I was stealthily stealing combs from people’s back pockets and throwing them out the window through a hole in the screen. What a dick move by the way.) Anyhoo, after my paddling this one time, the principal and I started talking about baseball (he knew I was a big fan) and we had a debate about who was better between Mike Ivie and John Mayberry. I remember thinking it was pretty damn cool that my principal knew who John Mayberry was. Now, fast-forward 35+ years later and I’m the one working at a school dealing with knuckleheads and John Mayberry’s KID is playing in the bigs.

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

Cool story Dawg . . . However, it discombobulates my mind that your principal was still “old school” in the late 1970s doing corporal punishment with a paddle. By the by, did the paddle have holes in it (to ensure aerodynamic and maximum punishment effect)? If so, your principal would have been right at home in the 60s.

• SanDawg said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:52 am

Yeah, Woodland was (and maybe still is) an old school farming town that can be a little slow to adapt to the times. No holes in the paddle that I recall. A friend of mine swore that he got whacked so hard once that the paddle actually broke.
        That all blows my mind too, but it was pretty effective. It was not a pleasant experience and it definitely held my behavior in check. I don’t remember any parents having a problem with it either. Different era to be sure!!

• salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm

In my era, we got whacked over the top on the head and on the funny bone with those long thick rulers. My 6th grade teacher Mr Gaspee even had a name for his….phoebe.

• blade3colorado said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Phoebe, huh? Some things from Old School should still be in place. I think “Little Johnie” would be much better off with a bit more discipline and less “atta boys (or girls).”

• salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:38 pm

It must have worked because I was usually a poor student prone to day dreaming but got all A’s in his class. 🙂

13. zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 11:53 am

S-Dawg, I had to look it up; I didn’t remember that Ivie was trade for Jeffrey Leonard. That worked out rather nicely for the Giants.

14. salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Think in hindsight the Giants regret not giving Belt a lot of reps in left during ST. With pagan out it would help to have his bat in there. They had talked about it but they had Gillespie Peguero competing and Torres Blanco needing abs.

15. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I agree with you guys on Belt not playing. WTF? He’s hitting better than just about anybody else except Posey. And, he HITs LHPs. So, he sits, while Posey takes 1B defense down a notch, and Quiroz takes the C position defense down a notch PLUS hitting down, oh, about 10 notches. It makes no friggin sense to me…

16. paulinasia said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

“Bochy is making sure to punish the recalcitrant, weak-minded hick (Belt).” Good one, James. And yeah, Michael, it is horribly stupid, has been horribly stupid, and will continue to be horribly stupid how this team handles Belt. He must have thick skin. I would’ve said fuck it by now and asked to be traded.

Quick note again to James, last thread (or two). You said, “Paul, if the Giants were now at 296 runs allowed this year, with the same number of runs scored (326), they would very likely be at least a few games over 500, around 42-36.” I get that. I acknowledge that you’re the stats expert, I am not worthy to talk stats with you (I mean that, that’s not sarcastic). I guess I just see it a different (more simplistic) way: While the starting pitching was stinking up the joint, the team was playing over .500, at some points well over .500. Since the start of June, when the starting pitching has been pretty good (better, anyway), the team is playing well under .500. Now, it seems to me at this point, this team is losing mostly because they’re not scoring. In the end, I don’t know what it all means, I just wish they’d look like even just an “average” team. They’re not even that anymore. Just about the worst team in the majors over the past 40 games or so. Ouch…. I cling to the hope and belief that this too shall pass, especially as long as no one else is staking claim to the division… yet.

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Well said.

17. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm

On KNBR this morning, I thought the stat of the morning was the (- 44) in run differential for the Giants in the first 3 innings so far this season. That is huge, and important. It pressurizes the pitching, and the hitting to make comebacks. They were making comebacks in April and May. Now, no. I can’t remember the last time the Giants took an early lead — a week or more ago?…

18. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:37 pm

From the “for what it’s worth dep’t”, Schulman reported that Surkamp is due off rehab and back onto the 40 man next Monday. So, somebody’s going to get cut from the 40 man, and Surkamp will be available to start. Hey, who needs Cliff Lee or Nolasco or Norris — Surkamp’s back…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Surkamp did some things in the minors that were enticing. He had an outstanding K/bb ratio in 2009/10/11. Of course, that was mostly in the Sally League and San Ho.
      His 6 starts at the big league level were underwhelming. 26.2 innings pitched, 5.74 ERA, 17 walks, 13 k’s. It certainly couldn’t hurt to kick the tires on him again, though.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Hey, I’d be up for Surkamp getting another shot. WTF not? After Bum and Cain, the other three starters don’t scare anybody. But, first I’d pitch Kickham another two starts and see what happens. He looked better last outing against LA over his A’s start. I’d definitely at least give him a shot at an ATT home start — all three of his starts will have been on the road with this one coming up in Cincy…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Agreed, Kick pitched significantly better in start #2. the run total didn’t show it, but he did.
        Regarding Zito, I thought he pitched ok last night. Remember, this is Coors Field. You’re just trying to avoid crooked numbers. He gave up the 2 run bomb and the solo shot in the 3rd but otherwise pitched fine into the 6th. It would have been great to get into the 7th and if he had I would have thought he pitched better than ok.
        the Rockies scored 4 runs yesterday, it’s not like the pitching was the problem……

19. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Well, Torres did his job getting on, stealing, and getting to third on the bunt. If Posey and Pence can’t get him in with one out, then, hey, that’s the definition of scuffling…

20. salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Don’t some pitchers come back stronger after TJ surgery?

21. zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Ain’t that just typical of the starting pitching this season. Get the big strikeout, then give up the hit on an 0-2 pitch.

22. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Well, the Rocks get a guy to third w/one out, and manage to get him home. Giants, nope. Yet another game where the Gyros get down early. Giants should be able to get a bunch of runs off De la Rosa, they’ve done it before…

23. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

It’s typical of a team in a funk- a struggling guy (Torres) gives them a spark and their hottest hitter K’s on ball 4. And Bochy should smack Scutaro silly..

24. Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Can Belt play third?

25. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Right now, I’d take Arias over Sandoval. Panda’s not hitting, and his defense sucks balls. He’s really straining fans’ patience with his weight issue…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Making everything a weight issue is straining credibility. He will hit but his defense has been awful, no argument there.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Well all the best writers you admire seem to bring up his weight–all the time, in fact. Are they losing credibility too?

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Who puts a throwing error on his weight?

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I’d think most objective people would.

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Well, you’re not objective so that’s a non-starter.

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Objective people might be concerned that Panda’s elbow is bothering him. Objective people would say that 5.1 IP 10 hits, 4 runs is not pitching “OK”.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Twin, that’s a joke. You live in a complete fantasy land when it comes to Pablo’s weight. Beat writers, bloggers, talk show host guys, giants fucking management and the goddamn manager have talked about his weight as a negative contributor to his play.
        Look man, fat people run slower (check), deal with pain in the extremities (check) have trouble with range of motion (check) and probably have trouble throwing a ball and swinging a bat at the MLB level.
        You act like the flappers are the only ones who wish this guy would lose weight to be the best that he can be. It’s said everywhere, by everyone, except you

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Well, you’re already walking back- I haven’t said that his weight doesn’t have a negative impact on his play. What I just fucking said and that any “objective person” would agree on, is that everything can’t be put on his weight. And no objective person does.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:07 pm

now you’re playing semantics so I’ll stop. Enjoy your day. Question for ya: When did Snarkk make *everything* a weight issue for Panda? Using words that don’t match reality is another game…….

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I don’t see how Pablo’s weight could possibly be dismissed as a contributor to his poor defense, including throws. Being fat reduces range as well as agility and balance, which all contribute to the positioning and mechanics of throwing the ball to the intended target…

26. Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Kinda rooting for an early blow out and I’m not sure I care who wins at this point. It’s 94 inside my house right now and getting hotter and don’t have AC. Feels like 194. Pool is a block away. Lets get this one wrapped up either way early! 🙂

27. Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Burks, obviously. Trivia questions are another thing the Internet has ruined

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm

The Chisox optioned your boy *Brain* OMG!grosso.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Haha, thanks. Well, his career died in exchange for 2.1 MLB innings of the first gm of a double header. I hope the White Sox give him some extra chow money or something when he hits AAA

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:40 pm

You know what else the Internet has ruined? Teenage boys standing in the corner of a store looking at skin magazines and having the clerk yell, for all to hear, “THAT’S NOT FOR YOU, SON.” I always wondered, “Gee, if this ain’t for teenage boys, then who is it for?”

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:43 pm

For the clerks…

28. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:25 pm

The Bucs have the best record in MLB. Then again, last year they were something 16 games over .500 in early August. Author Stewart O’Nan emailed me after the game he attended last night, trumpeting that his Red Sox and Pirates were each in first. He had been in Germany. I told him that while he went overseas the Giants went overboard.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I’m diggin’ that the Bucs are doing so well. I hope they make the playoffs. It would be nice to have a playoff series in that yard…

29. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Well, Torres gets the fukup award on that pickoff. Sheezus, the Giants are playing poorly…

30. sandy said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm

So much for Pablo returning to lift the team.

31. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Panda can you take the first pitch in an AB for a bit? Just one time. You’re not swingin’ it well, so just watch the first pitch. Because it’s going to be a shitty pitch that the pitcher wants you to swing at, and you get yourself out. Like you’ve done twice already this game…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Perez could follow that advice too

• Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I don’t think he heard ya, snarkk.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Guess not. 4 ABs and he’s seen what, 5 or 6 pitches, tops?

32. salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Time to blow this one open.

Cain has been superb. Key was the Houdini act in the 2nd.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Agreed. Giants need to win this one for Cain, he’s been stellar except for the first inning…

33. Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Very lucky to get DLR outta there. Time to capitalize

34. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:14 pm

They have no OFers left so Bochy can’t hit for Torres against the RHer.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Wasn’t it reversed in 2010 when Torres was good batting LHed, and well below .200 hitting RHed? Now it’s the opposite, or am I wrong on this? If true, how does that make any sense?…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:25 pm

In 2009 he hit .210 against RHers, ..338 against LHers.
        In 2010 it was .284 against RHers .226 against LHers.
        in 2011 you don’t wanna know
        In 2012 it was .186 against RHers, .286 against LHers.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:26 pm

no, you’re right, he goes on and off, like many players do, against lefties. It’s usually a small sample so that might explain those wild swings but it is weird that so many hitters have such different batting averages year2year vs lefties…….

35. Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Come on, do this right now! 2 runs in 16 innings at Coors? Shit, our pitching has only given up 5 runs in 16?Score some FUCKING runs!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:33 pm

what a waste of good pitching . . . what a waste of, of . . . the energy we once called basking.

• willedav said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

True dat.

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Notes From the Underground: Help me. I can’t breathe. Score runs, or I am doomed.

37. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:38 pm

We need to channel Brian Johnson. Wasn’t his big HR here? I know we’ve had some other heroes in Denver. C’mon! COME ON!

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm

youtube it. It will get your motor running. Dusty’s reaction alone will do it……

38. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Brian’s big HR was at home against the Bums.

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm

But you did you get me roooting for Guillermo to channel Brian…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm

it’s weird; that mythic homer is not part of my consciousness, partly because the game would not have been available to me, but still — neither was Bobby Thomson’s game. Oh well.

39. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This is juvenile — and unwarranted at this point in the season — but I might have to walk away. I do not want to get that call from the girlfriend breaking up or that telegram. I am already flinching from what I dread. Just not being the best fan. Sorry. Can’t help it.

40. willedav said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I’m with Twin and his 10:30—why F with a Nolasco or Norris if you can get Cliff Lee? Last outing he had Pads shut out for 8, wound up with no decision when Papelbon heimlicked the save and allowed SD to tie it up. The Giants are not in danger of not selling out the yard, so it’s not about the money, only the quality of the player you are getting. Only issue would be what the Phils want—last time we dealt they got Nate and we got Pence.
    As I pointed out earlier, SF has only one 4 of 16 Z starts, a number I doubt would get any worse if he was replaced in rotation by either Kick or Surkamp. That’s 4 Ws in 3 months of starting…thanks eh.
    Can anyone tell me how much Sandoval weighed in 2012 World Series? Is he 40 lbs heavier now? 20? How do you know? Noonan and Arias I’m sure look much better in a uniform, play decent D and are certainly more athletic. But don’t tell me they are squaring up Verlander’s best and taking it out the yard, not once, let alone 3 times, because it is not ever happening. This isn’t a swimsuit issue, it’s baseball. If bochy believes Pablo is fit enough to play and writes him in the LU, I’m not arguing with him. Either he is good enough to play and help the team or he isn’t–how big he is I don’t care.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

well of COURSE we’d rather have Cliff Lee. For the rest of this year. But after we pay him 12.5 mil this year he’s got another 75 or so to be paid and he’s 34 and I can’t think of a think Sabean would do LESS than pay Cliff Lee 75 million from 2014-16.

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm

It’s only through 15. 16 is a vesting option similar to Zito’s except he’s much more likely to achieve it and be worth paying it.
        Great post, Willie.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:08 pm

there’s a 12.5 million dollar buyout in 2016 that no GM would ever be stupid enough to pay but if he did pay it, factor that in, too, which you DIDN’T……

• willedav said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

as opposed to what he’s getting from lincecum and zito? this guy is good, top of rotation and I think he is smart enough to be able to be effective for a couple more years even if stuff declines.
        biggest issue is what Sf would have to give up, agreed. But the money should not matter, only quality of the product.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:05 pm

SF wouldn’t have to give up jack, if Philly trades him they’re looking to ditch the salary. And again, I’m on board with him being *best pitcher available* I just don’t think Sabes will roll with the 75 million that they’d still owe him. He’s 34, Sabes don’t play that. He’s a *Voggy-guy*. And frankly, that’s a sound way to go about spending your free agent money on pitching…….

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Pablo’s pulling down major coin ($5.7 mill this year, $8.25 mill next), relatively speaking, to the alternatives. If he’s not hurt, he plays, and he should. That’s going to happen regardless of his obesity. I use “obese” because I think its appropriate. The AMA says “obese” = a BMI index of 30 and above. Pablo is supposedly 5-10″, which I don’t really believe. Even if he were than height, with a weight of 265, which I think he easily is, his BMI would be 38. Even if his BMI is 35, which I doubt could be that low, that range of BMI is ridiculous conditioning for a professional athlete of any sport…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm

when does the word “morbidly” come into play? Is that *can’t get out of my apartment* shit?

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Over a 40 BMI is apparently called morbidly obese. Above 45 is “super obese” or hitting your “can’t move” territory…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I put this in the wrong spot.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I’d stay away from Lee. Too expensive. You get rid of Zito, finally, and that albatross of a contract, then take on an even more expensive deal for another 3 years for an older pitcher? No thanks…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Snarkk: Lee is 34 and a “1″.Zito is 35, not younger, and a “4″, generously.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:23 pm

When I mentioned “older” I meant “older”, not in a comparative sense to whatever age Zito is. Older to me is mid 30s, which is what Lee is. I don’t care if he’s a #1, he’s “older” now and in 3 years he’s even “older”. Screw a $75M contract for three years. That’s money that can be used for 2 or 3 other FAs…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:43 pm

The buy out is not an issue if the vesting option kicks in, which is automatic if he pitches 200 in 2015 or 400 in 2014 and 2015 combined. If Sabean is worried about what he’ll do if Lee isn’t worth the 3rd year, then you’re right, he shouldn’t sign him.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:30 pm

well you said “it’s only though ’15” like that ’16 didn’t matter. It does matter. It’s either another 12.5 mil or 25 mil and, as I said, you’d have to be living in a different world than Sabean to think he’d take on 75 mil over the next 3 years on a dude turning 35 before the 75 mil kicks in….

41. Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Fuckin’ Affeldt.

42. salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Ouch. tough one to swallow

43. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

ohfuckmeroyal

44. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Surprising? No. Affeldt is suckage right now and for the last month, essentially.
    But, you can’t expect to win games getting one run…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:58 pm

exactly. They get their first baserunner since the 2nd inning and you fucking KNEW it was gonna be a SB and a hit. Fuck. Ok, my pool time is waaaay overdue. Peace out.

45. Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 3:57 pm

We Scored 1, We . . . oh, never mind.

46. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

No fucking way Belt shouldn’t have hit in this game. None. Everything positive about Bochy’s managing is being negated by his handling of Belt.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:05 pm

*Everything* about his handling of Belt negates all of his managing? All of it since he started managing here or just today? Or are you starting to get a little all or nothing with all this *everything* stuff? It’s worth examining……

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:16 pm

“Or are you starting to get a little all or nothing with all this *everything* stuff? It’s worth examining……hit the pool. Maybe it will clear your head. “It’s being negated” indicates an ongoing process.
      I meant to add this.Peace.
      smile

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm

“Ongoing propcess is not part of the defintion of the word “negate”, we both know that. But saying something is “being negated ” clearly means that it has not been negated. Yet.
        It’s hotter than squat here. Running through the sprinkler used to work, no more. What are you having with your salmon?

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

*negate* is a word I’m quite familiar with and an “ongoing process” is not part of the definition I’d access. But maybe you use the word regularly to define it this way. It sure didn’t read that way in your post.
      Hey, the pool was fantastic. I’m relaxed and refreshed, we’re bbqing wild salmon tonight.

47. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Somebody tell me why Hector is still here…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:13 pm

having 3 catchers on the roster, especially with all our obvious needs, is too stupid to even consider reality until you realize that it is and then…there’s just no where to go with that.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:17 pm

It only makes sense because they rest Posey by having him play first. Then, it plays out like today in a close game, unless they sub in Belt at first and Posey moves to catcher from 1b. Which, I guess they don’t want to do. I don’t get the three catcher thing. I think another OFer who can pinch hit would make more sense…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:20 pm

They talked about dropping one for the rest of the road trip and adding a pitcher . I think that would have been Hector. Problem is there’s no pitcher in Fresno worth a call up.

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm

i agree about Hector but the SB today was on Affeldt. Sanchez had no chance.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Affeldt is a terrible fielding pitcher, and despite being a LHP, is as bad as Tim at holding runners. I don’t know why Bochy didn’t have Romo ready…

48. Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Joe Martinez got the win in relief today for the Indians.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Good kid. Glad to hear that…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm

way to go, Iron Man. And I think Connor Gillaspie got a hit for the Chisox. And Otero pitched for the A’s. Now the X Games are on in my house; with my mood I’ll be hoping for crashes

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Our only saving grace, if you will, at this point is that the NL West is so mediocre. Oh, who cares? It’s just depressing. You guys SEE the games, I do not. I just hope their hearts are in it. We hit a wall like this just before the ASG last year; this is earlier and more troubling, if only because we have had a recent taste of the Good Life. I keep saying to myself I’m going to avert my gaze, take a break for a few days. Then I sneak a look, hoping for a voyeur’s look at a Big Win. #sigh

50. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm

The plus side? Romo’s elbow must be in damn good shape, since we haven’t seen him since, I dunno, since George Bush had a shoe thrown at his head…

51. zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:16 pm

On the plus side, Arizona lost, and maybe the Dodgers will lose again tonight. That epic 16-1 pounding they took from the Phils last night was pretty cool.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:24 pm

… and Padres losing to Marlins. This bad news regarding NL West teams — isn’t that what they mean by schadenfreude?

• Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:25 pm

D-Backs led 5-4, but gave up 7 runs in the 8th. Oooof!

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I saw that earlier this morning and thought, *Goddamn, I could celebrate this better had we won last night.” true story.

52. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Does Lee have a no-trade clause? I assume he does. He is said to love Philly, as does his wife. I believe he has a kid w/ a rare disease who gets good help there, likely from CHOP. His wife called Ruben Amaro of the Phils to help make a deal. He rejected the Yankees.

• Bozo said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Plus, from what I’ve read, the Phils are in the same boat as the Giants as far as being sellers or buyers..

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:59 pm

He does have a no-trade clause (he blocks 20 of 29 teams) and you’re right, he moved to Philly almost exclusively for family reasons–his son has or had Leukemia and there’s a hospital there that either treated him or is treating him. It would be wildly unlikely that he would waive his no trade clause to spend the next 3 years on the west coast. And no, I didn’t look this up (except the teams blocked part of his deal)………

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm

We don’t know if we’re on the no trade list or not. His son’s treatment would hardly be compromised were he treated on the West Coast with world renowned centers at Davis, Stanford, and USCF. And the boy has been declared cancer free for several years.
      But I’m not saying we’re likely to get him, just that he’s the best of the pitchers who might be available. . we can afford him but we may not have the pieces they want.
      But as I read at CSNPhilly:
      “He’s a top-five pitcher in the game who has two years of control left after 2013, and will be coveted by any contending team. His salary is high – he’s owed $62.5 million after this season, but that’s the cost of dealing. It may be a lot of money, but if Lee were a free agent today most teams would jump at the chance to sign him to a three-year deal worth between $62.5M and $77.5M.”
      As Willie said: “But the money should not matter, only quality of the product.”

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm

well, a lot of us would agree that the *money should not matter* but come on, be realistic here. Sabean will never do this. It’s a freaking pipe dream….

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I think he would, but we probably don’t have the pieces. But Norris, Nolasco, those guys- they should be fall backs. Go for the caviar first, settle for a mayo sandwich if we must. If someone grabs Nolasco first, get a better Nolasco.
        Hey, I like Norris. It wouldn’t break my heart we got him- but not for what they’ll probably want. .

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:15 pm

and that’s why your trade targets never materialize. You never want to give up anything. But who knows, stocking the farm system and never making a trade could be the way to go.I’m not a GM either…..

53. Bozo said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

The bad news? The Giants lost.
    The good news? Nipper is riding a bike.
    “And… always look on the bright side of life”

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’m picturing him ghost riding that bike into the bushes and then setting up shop at the corner of a busy street with a sign that says something like “Shady Van in Need of a Quick Jump. Please Help!”

54. salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Where’s Inca? Pretty upset last we heard.

• salty said, on June 29, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Er, unca

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Need Cliff Lee to win tonight. NL West top to bottom closest in MLB. G’night, girls. Let’s hope tomorrow is a better day for Black & Orange. And enjoy Canada, eh, Blade? In 1974 when Watergate was playing out I took train from Montreal to Toronto to Vancouver. All I had was a small duffel bag, with a few changes of clothes in need of washing, books. Jack Kerouac stage. Stopped in Banf. Swatted flies. Someone said, you’ll never get a room here. Train started rolling. I jumped back on it.

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Sometimes I wish I was little bit older, for like a month, and I could go back in time and roll deep with you when you were still boozing, Kokonuts. And then I realize I would have spent most of my time bustin’ the heads of your enemies. And now I’m glad you’re the clean and sober man I know today. 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Well said, and thank you. Because on that very same trip I also was a central player in nightmarish events that reverberate today (e.g. losing — losing! — my non-French-speaking 17yo brother in Montreal’s Old City where French is the vernacular). And staying at the Y in Vancouver because the girl I was visiting, whom I met on a train from Amsterdam to Copenhagen where we did naughty things in the dark in those crowded compartments like you see in movies, had a boyfriend, that she lived with. I must not have gotten that part. And on and on.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm

…and right you are. Bustin’ the heads of people I mouthed off to would get old, on the train and off it. But thanks for being willing to, theoretically, retroactively. [email a-coming to you on a matter related to this only in the broadest sense]

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I spent an eye opening 12 hours on a summer night train once from Bordeaux to Madrid, over San Sebastian. In my compartment was a 21 year old french guy and a 40 something S. African woman. Let’s just say that these Strangers on a Train became close friends as the Spanish train tracks got bumpier and as the hot Spanish night wore on. Next early morning upon arrival in Madrid central station, like a Euro movie, they parted ways like the strangers they had been 12 hours before…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Snarkk, I don’t know when the last time I dumped a *best-of-POTD!* clean passed the normal POTD but this one is going into that treasured archive in a few moments. Every couple of months I get a hair up my ass to go *best-of* on something. I loved this post, it was rad on so many different levels. It reminded me of my own trip on the train through Europe in ’89. Crazy shit.
        One day I’m gonna take some time to just sit down and read the bestof-POTD from start to finish. I know what they all say individually, I was struck by each one of them and that’s the reason they ended up there, but read out of context it will be a fascinating read…..

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Hey, I seem to be developing “old man strength”, if the call comes out from you, sober or not, I have your back my man. 🙂

56. stixwiz said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Twin @ 4:02: When i was around here a bit more regularly we would have ‘discussions’ on the odd interface between BB15 and BB9. Looks like we are close to being on the same page on that issue today. It probably was true that Buster needed a day off from the tools of ignorance and he probably would be a bit shaky at any other possible position but first base.

Bochy made the claim, at least tacitly, that because of the vast reaches of LF in the Box of Rox, that Belt would not be satisfactory there. Three balls were hit thataway today. Maybe he would not have gotten to one of them. Maybe he would have come through in the field. Chances are at least fair that SF’s recently second most steady and solid hitter would have come through at the plate, though. If the Giants held a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the 9th and Romo got the call we might have had a drastically different outcome. Sure, BB9 might not have been the difference maker, but we don’t know because as you so pointedly noted, it did not happen. At all.

The manager has suffered from some form of brain-freeze in recent weeks. His decisions have clearly cost us several games ~ at least a handful. He needs to severiously shake up the lineup. His usual conservatism, capped with oddly radical decisions at times, needs to give way to a hardnosed approach to shaking up the lineup. Hackers Pence and Sandoval should bat 7th and 8th till they show some plate discipline. BB15 has been hyper rigid with belt and incredibly lax with those two ~ and they are not the only offenders ~ merely the most egregious ones.

On a related point, it may be time for Bam-Bam to go Bye Bye. Somebody has got to get it through certain thick skulls that working the count is not a sin. It may not be “the Giants Way”, but current hacktivities are leading this team straight to the rocks in a whitewater maelstrom. Curiously, Belt is the most selective hitter on the team. Seems like field management attempted to ‘cure’ him of that ‘problem’ last season. BB9 is presently the only hitter on the team who usually works the count and makes those opposing starters go through their paces. Could that be why he is so frequently being punished?

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hacktivities, I like that Stix. And yes, I do believe Belt’s good eye and “selective” nature at the plate puts him in hot water with Bochy. Bochy wants his first basemen to hack, or in his parlance, “be aggressive”. But, if you’re waiting for Pence and Panda to go down to the 7 and 8 holes, you might better hope for no summer mosquitoes in the Northwoods…

• Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Stix–you’re one of my all time favorite Flappers. Welcome back, don’t be a stranger
      But don’t you think Bochy is doing the best he can with this LU? Or are you just talking LU shit? The guys on the bench are Perez, Abreu, Arias, Quiroz Noonan, etc (and Noonan has *Noonan’ed* himself back to FresHo). Who should Bochy be playing? They only let 25 into the dugout before September 1st….

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Bochy can’t take much of the blame for this non-hitting streak, or the bad starting pitching earlier on in the season. Plus, the injuries are killer. Plus, there’s no bench. You’re right. Compare the Cardinals 25 to the Giants 25. For starters, Beltran, Holiday and Jay vs. Pence, Blanco and Torres. That is practically unfair. The blame is on the front office for having nobody, nobody at all waiting in the minors that can step in and actually play at an MLB level…

• twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hi Stix. I know you were addressing me but I think I’ll just pass. Flavor and Snarkk seem like they can handle it. Nice to see you.

57. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 29, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Lee. Pitches out of bases-loaded, no-out jam, as I discern it. That’s pitching.

58. Flavor said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’ll tell you something, and mark this comment, HJ Ryu is going to find out what it’s like to have a MLB ErA in the 4’s by the end of the year. This fucking guy is living on fat and borrowed time. He gives up a lot of hits, he walks a lot of guys, his stuff is average at best….and that 2.85 ERA in the middle of the 7th as I type this is gonna go north, way…

59. snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I’d like to compare the stat of catchers not catching a day game after a night game, particularly Yadier Molina vs. Posey. Is Posey getting kid glove treatment or not? I wouldn’t even know where to start looking, but I’d sure like to know. Molina’s backup C, Tony Cruz, is hitting well below the Mendoza line…

60. Nipper said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm

BLEEP V

61. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Ryan Howard just got pinch hit for by……… yep, Kevin Frandsen. Who grounded out with the bases loaded. 3-2 Bums going to bottom 8.

62. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Phils tie it compliments of errors by Puig and Kemp.And Brown just tripled, 2 out.

63. zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 9:59 pm

E-9 by Puig, leads to blown save.

64. xoot said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Just caught Austin City Limits with the Decembrists and Gillian Welch / David Rawlings. Picked my mood up, considerably. The Giants? They’re gonna lectrify our souls . . . .

I worked as a RR brakeman for a decade or so, and my rail experiences are, as a result, pretty fucking voluminous. I hired out from the same yard Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassidy did. I generally worked freight trains, but I got called to work one day on one of those passenger trains that ran from San Jose to SF, with Al Hinkle (Ed Dunkle in On the Road) . I wore a 3-piece Brooks Brother suit the RR paid for. Hinkle’s grammar was unusually precise. I didn’t much like his libertarian bent. Another odd call was an Amtrak ride to Sparks where I met the ex wife of timothy Leary’s son. She was some sort of Amtrak stewardess. She was beautiful.

But of the many hundreds of train rides I’ve had, the best has to be the long trip I took with some friends in college from Mexicali to Mexico City, second class, no AC except the slide-up windows. Took several days, and talk about getting to know your neighbors on the hard board seats . . . .

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Maybe we need to start a Life Stories addition as a subfolder to the Flap. There’s gotta be a ton of good, non-baseball stories from all the characters on this Flap. Some of which may be true…

65. stixwiz said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Snarkk and Flav: Yes, no bench, injuries and standing pat off-season all contributed to this mess. Lineup “juggling” is in order because hackers need to get it through their skulls that the aggressive approach is bullshit unless you have a squad like the 27 Yankees or something.

Maybe Bochy needs to be encouraged to retire ~ gracefully. Perhaps Sabean AND the ownership circle need to get their fingers slapped. By whom? Aye, there’s the rub. Getting back to the argument which Snarkk dismisses as essentially, ain’t gonna happen, a hardnosed manager, say Leo the Lip, WOULD bat Panda and Pence seventh and eighth until and unless they quit giving away at-bats and stop allowing opposing starters to go long.

And for gawd’s sake, let Belt play every day. Pence gets to do that. Ultimately, BB9 will prove to be the more valuable asset. Bochy should be batting him third and Buster in cleanup. After their day or several in purgatory Panda and Pence can revert to fifth and sixth, though i would prefer a trade to give Posey a legitimate enforcer in the five spot. Sixth is a good spot for a hacker ~ somebody to provide the coup de grace to cap a rally ~ or to catch a pitcher unawares leading off an inning. Two hackers in the middle of a LU is two too many ~ or at least one.

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Stix, I’m with ya on the Pence and Panda hacking, but that’s who they are as hitters. I’m only dismissing your suggestion that Bochy drop ’em in the order because they’re 2 of the top 3 hitters, supposedly, on the squad, and they make a ton of money. No manager in these days is going to do that, not even a mossback like Leyland. What WAS interesting and encouraging is that the Giants did bench Panda two years ago for the 2010 playoffs, essentially, for his lack of conditioning and poor play. I don’t think they’re doing that now — maybe they’ve tried lots of inducements or threats we don’t know about, and nothing is working — so they’re waiting for the offseason to make some tough choices. I really don’t know. I do think Panda’s time with the Giants is definitely not at all assured past his current contract’s expiration at end 2014…

66. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Funny stuff.,.. good night all. Bums win.

67. zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Phillies had their chances. They’re just not good on a day by day basis. The Braves are going to completely run away with the NL East.
    The Dodgers are making a run right now, but part of that is that the rest of the division let them back in. Plus the Dodgers are doing well with a lot of home games at the moment.

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Sheesh, the Giants are staring at 4 road games in Cincy next week. The G’s need some of that magic from the playoffs last season….

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’ll bet Dusty is going to pour on the coals to kick Giants ass as payback, too. I would take a Cincy split right now and go home…

68. Macdog said, on June 29, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Xavier Nady released by the Royals. Ok, I’m desperate.