A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The All Star Game Voting Method is Stupid

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 30, 2013

Have any of you cast even a single vote yet? I haven’t. I saw that you can cast 25 votes at mlb.com and *because I was logged in* they were ready to gift me an additional 10 ballots! No thanks. I have casually followed the leaderboard and saw that several Giants were leading about a month ago. I think most of the Cardinals have passed them now. I tried to find a current leaderboard but struck out. I’m sure it’s out there somewhere but how lame is it that I have this great bounty of votes online and yet no matter how many different ways I google for the current leaderboard I can’t find it? Maybe I have to vote and then they’ll show it to me. Oh well, that’s not happening.

I don’t care about the all-star game. And that’s ironic because it matters now and you could argue that both of our last 2 world series wins were directly influenced by all-star game outcomes. The game was more important to me before the internet. I remember how exciting it was to see all of those great players take the field together. It was fresh and new and because the only games I would ever watch on tv were Giants games, the all-star game always felt like Christmas morning before we opened presents. The anticipation, the excitement, the *newness* of it all.

Now, there’s none of that. I’ve seen every single one of Chris Davis’ bombs this year at mlb.com. I follow Starlin Marte’s daily stat line as much as I do Pablo Sandoval’s because I own him on three teams. There’s simply nothing new about these players to me anymore.

Back in the day, you earned your all star game ballot by going to the game, flagging down an usher and dutifully filling out your ballot in your seat at the game. If you were lucky she’d give you and extra 5 or so. And that was the only way a vote was logged. Now all you have to do is go to a website and you get 35 votes handed over to you. And if you feel like logging in with different accounts, you can do that as many times as you like X 35.

I don’t have an inkling of interest in any of it……

1. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 8:53 am

along with headline, game is lame too. I can see the point of having one guy from each team on the roster, but as to actually playing them, no. Same with all the pitchers either getting in or not being allowed in because their team doesn’t like it. Back in the day, Mays got 4 ABs and other fine CFs sat.
    Dusty and the reds are going through hard times too having lost 7 of last 10. First two guys we face on mound are Bronson arroyo and Homer Bailey with combined record of 10-12, for a team still 11 games over .500. Cueto is on DL for third time this year so we don’t see him. today reds throw Latos (we miss him too) against Darvish in Texas. with their .568 winning pct Reds are third in their division.
    Funny too, Reds were just here in bay area for 2 game set with A’s, and I don’t recall any fanfare about Dusty coming back yada yada. And the A’s swept the series, I think shutting out Reds once.

2. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:42 am

I said this a week ago, but I still don’t get Hector. In a big hitters yard like coors, for a team struggling to score runs, this should be a time Belt hits. He can handle all the LHP you got. Not to mention the defensive downgrade at two spots we’ve talked about constantly. And as JT Snow used to say, how does 9 innings at 1b qualify as a *rest*? Posey is from Georgia and played at Fla, he can handle hot weather. Probably likes it.

On that point, if Lincecum is the most difficult to C, then why not have your best defensive guy behind the plate instead of a sub? Wouldn’t it work out better to have him C one of the easier guys? Am I missing something?

I’m starting to get the feeling Belt’s days here are numbered. If someone Sabes really wants (middle order RH bat to replace Pence if he bails or Sabes doesn’t want to pay up) is available and the other team brings up his name, I think Belt is gonzo, tho he might last out the season being f-ed around like now. Posey goes to 1b full time, and SF goes to rent a C/8th place hitter/strong defensive calls a good game type.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:45 am

Willie, Bochy said that Belt was “making strides” and that, dadgum, he really hated leaving him out of yesterday’s line up. But being 26 and all, Buster was pretty tuckered having to catch Friday night and, well, I’m guessing here, he probably wanted to get Guilllermo’s bat in the line up. And Belt was in an 0 for 1 slump against lefties this week…

3. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:45 am

I vote once because I’m a fine, upstandinding citizen who feels that it’s cheating to cast more than one vote. Also, I’m too lazy to vote more than once….
    This year I wrote in my picks: Ed Bailey, Johnny Temple, Roy McMillan, Don Hoak, Frank Robinson, Gus Bell and Wally Post. I’m still pissed that that undeserving hack, Stan Musial beat out George Crowe in ’57, so I did vote for George 35 times from each of my 200,436 Email accounts.
    I like the All-Star game, it’s certainly the best of the 3 major sports games of that genre. The HR Derby sucks, though, here’s a real one : Mays vs. Mantle

• James said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:28 am

That was a lot of fun — thanks. Backyard baseball played by the best. Won’t spoil it for others with further commentary on the drama, but it is tempting.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:18 am

Those were the days. Mays was once on a show called Brains and Brawns, something like that. A bizarre mix of home run derby and a quiz show. It was a Saturday night. Not a psychotic fugue.

4. Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:47 am

BLEEP VI goes to the All-Star Game.

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:48 am

And I refuse to vote under any circumstances!

5. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:40 am

heard an interesting trivia question on KNBR this morning that some of you older guys might already know the answer to:
    Who is the only player in the history of baseball to homer in every inning 1-16? It’s Mays.

6. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Not even the beat writers can figger this out. Belt sits again…

1. Andres Torres (S) LF

2. Tony Abreu (S) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) 1B

4. Hunter Pence (R) RF

5. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

6. Juan Perez (R) CF

7. Guillermo Quiroz (R) C

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Madison Bumgarner (R) P

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

One guess was that Buster has a problem preventing him from catching. Maybe the best was that they’re showcasing Quiroz 😉

• James said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:00 am

The exercise and assertion of authority for its own sake. Pretty sad.

7. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:04 am

To be blunt, this lineup sucks.
    Belt not in lineup again?
    1. Belt is hurt.
    2. Posey is hurt somehow and can’t catch, but can play 1b and hit.
    3. Belt needs another “day” of rest at age 25, even though he’d face another LHP, against whom he’s a better hitter than v. RHPs.
    4. Bochy is disciplining Belt for not hitting better looking doubles.
    5. Bochy wants the defense upgraded at 1b with Buster and at C with Quiroz.
    6. Giants are scoring so many runs lately, it doesn’t matter that one of the few guys that hits HRs sits.
    7. Belt is in the middle of a potential trade about to go down.

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:05 am

#7. delicious teaser.

• James said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:18 am

Bud Norris AND Carlos Pena!

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Chuck Norris and Elizabeth Pena!!

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:14 am

Yeah, I mentioned #7 yesterday as well. Hey, if it’s soooooooo bad for Ryan Howard that Frandsen !!!!! pinch hit for him last night with the bases juiced….. nah.

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

I know on the face of it that was a bizarre move, but not totally surprising considering Howard just cannot hit lefties. At least Frandsen hit it hard.

• James said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hey, Bochy could continue to trot Buster out to 1B with far fewer bemused responses.

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:30 am

Snarkk will watch and enjoy a Beltless experience!

8. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:04 am

Zach Wheeler’s getting lit up right now. grin.

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

5 runs in 3 IP so far in his home debut, including HRs by LaRoche and Werth that weren’t exactly cheapies.

9. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:20 am

The All Star game is an exhibition. Period. The fact that the Budster dumped meaning onto it with the WS home field advantage was a doofus move, unnecessary, and solely a result of his screw up management of that tied All Star game. That should be stopped, just alternate the home field year to year between the leagues. Simple, fair. I agree, seeing these guys play virtually on demand at any time has diminished the impact of the All Star game. I just hope nobody gets hurt…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:24 am

I believe the home field advantage should be awarded by merit, by games won.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm

That, too. Although, with the AL/NL mixed schedules now, there may be a degree of unfairness in that from division to division. I think. Somehow…

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

I don’t vote for the ASG. You might call the voting scheme its Chicago Ward-New Jerseyification-Boss Tweedification.

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

Tweedification…..a new word?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:37 am

tweedification, N. an action or gesture demonstrating either upward mobility or old-money heritage. Syn. gentrification, nouveau riche-ness.

• eddacker said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:46 pm

you learn something every day

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Eddddd, I made it up, but hey, maybe it’ll go viral. Or just bacterial.

• James said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

Belt could probably share a few things.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I like it. I just Followed. Maybe I’ll post my last words ever uttered in the unhallowed halls of corporate Amerika.

11. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:28 am

Ishikawa DFAed this morning, no surprise. Orioles said to be looking to trade him..
    Jeff Francoeur released by KC. I’m already seeing speculation that we might be a destination for Jeff. Please say no…

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

And the Rockies snatched up Xavier Nady.

12. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but it wouldn’t surprise me James is right about Sabean being behind the anti-belt stuff that comes out publicly. I think he sees Freeman and says why can’t our guy hit like that?
    nate’s name has come up a couple times lately, and I think it’s obvious if Belt were over there he would have similar type numbers, on pace for 20 bombs .290 plus good D and higher OB since he’s more patient and way less of a hacker than Nate was here. And if he hits a ball 400 + feet it’s not bouncing high off a wall for a double.

In Jenkins column for Chron he brings up the typical call in show deal of Pill and Hembree for Stanton, facetiously of course. but hey…if in order to rent Nolasco and cover his salary (ho hum) we could also get Stanton and Cishek, what would that take? Just dreaming.

13. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

Seriously: Buster says he has no injury but his wegs are a wittle tight…

14. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 11:45 am

From Henry: “Scutaro is having trouble with his pelvis locking on right side”
    I HATE it when that happens..

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hey, and we’ve only got 2.5 years left on his deal. Looks promising…

15. Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’m not too sympathetic to the “Poor Brandon Belt” sentiment here, but this is getting ridiculous. Since Posey has to play 1B again, then why not Belt in LF? If Pat Burrell can play there at Coors, which he did numerous times in 2010-11, then anyone can.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I would agree, but since the Giants braintrust reportedly hasn’t had him practice taking flies in LF even once since SpringT, and even then I think he played one game there in ST, that would be kind of unfair to put him out there in the biggest OF in the majors. But, of course management screwing with Belt would be nothing new…

16. James said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Forget the pitching needs — this club requires a pliant, merely serviceable 1B man and an all star calibre back up catcher to achieve true harmony.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:14 pm

And I thought the team just needed its chakras aligned or some feng shui adjustment.

• eddacker said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm

feng shui won’t work, it is their park, not ours. However earlshribe might work.
        paint it black, baby!

17. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm

meanwhile, cahill down 4-1 to ATL, as Dbax on their way to getting swept. According to what is being said by Darling etc on the TBS feed, AZ also looking for a front line starter.

18. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Uggla makes it 6-1, third bomb off Cahill.
    gotta love it.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

The division race is reminding me of the NL Central a few years ago, when either one or no team was above .500 at the very end.

19. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm

except for the gratuitous stolen from florida state Seminoles chop theme.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I like the word “gratuitous,” with its almost stuttering flow of oozing syllables. This, from the Online Etymology Dictionary:
      gratuitous (adj.)
      1650s, “freely bestowed,” from Latin gratuitus “done without pay, spontaneous, voluntary,” from gratus “pleasing, agreeable,” from gratia “favor” (see grace). Sense of “uncalled for, done without good reason” is first recorded 1690s.

• eddacker said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Big Gratia approves this message.

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I like the word “gratuity” better.

20. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I think they can do better than “a little leg tightness” for Buster. Look., Scooter gets a locked pelvis, couldn’t they give Buster a more manly injury?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I know. And I’ve not locked my pelvis — I mean really fecking locked it with another pelvis — in years. TMI !!!!

21. stixwiz said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Has that capacious cranium been exposed to too much sun? Has be been drinking gallons and gallons of fluoridated water? Did he visit a military base and was given a tour in a depleted uranium saturated tank back from the imperial wars?

There has to be a logical and sensible reason for Bochy busting Belt. Can somebody come up with one?

22. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Xoot, I’m with you on that Austin City Limits performance last night of Gillian and Dave, and the Decembrists. That kind of music is right in my wheelhouse. I’ve seen Gil and Dave in concert several times; always a treat. I haven’t been to a Decembrists concert yet.
    I might be going to a fundraiser concert in San Jose on July 27th. Emmylou Harris, Joan Baez, and Jackson Browne.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Gil sings about her first lover….

• eddacker said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm

nice. she has that bluegrass/hillbilly singing-through-your-teeth down; very classic

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm

The funny thing is she grew up in Hollywood. Her parents were musicians in the house-band for the Carol Burnett show. Go figure. She found her muse in the music of Appalachia.

23. stratford said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I’d rather they not take a chance on losing Posey for an extended period aggravating the leg tightness. Can’t sit him against a LHP at Coors. Only other option is to play Brandon in LF where he hasn’t played all year. At least they have a solid PH avail.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm

“At least they have a solid PH avail”
      .Who they didn’t use in a tie game in the ninth yesterday. Quiroz hit even though they removed him for the bottom of the ninth.
      And since when does leg tightness get alleviated by playing first base?

24. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm

To counter a bad streak, Kruk and Kuip now giving Bochy a tandem radio BJ….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Sounds kinky. I guess after the DOMA and Prop 8 SCOTUS decisions, anything goes.

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I was delighted to hear that the door has been opened for bestiality. Zeke won’t get out from under the bed, though.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

poor Zeke

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Seriously, K&K were degrading themselves a bit. They had heard criticism of Bochy in various quarters for the Giants bad ways the past 6 weeks, along with the current 6-game dive. So, they apparently felt he needed reputation protection and publicly stroked him ad nauseum. I suspect Bochy can protect himself…

25. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:53 pm

OK. So Baggs reports Belt is out because Posey has sore legs (but, not sore enough that he can’t stand on them for 9 innings at 1b), so Belt has to sit since they don’t want to stick him in LF with basically no reps before now. Question: (1). WTF is going on here? Two days in a row you have to sit a guy hitting .321 against LHPitching against two LHPs. This couldn’t have been foreseen, to the extent they could work Belt out in LF a couple of times a week so he’s at least serviceable out there? This is a management failure of imagination and foresight, IMO. (2). Is Posey a wuss? If Belt had sore legs, what “background” BS on his lack of toughness would we be hearing from management or the broadcasters? Supposedly this has nothing to do with Posey’s ankle injury…

26. eddacker said, on June 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I believe the gnts mgmt have painted themselves into a corner. And it is 1st base. Not enough flexibility, hip wise and lineup wise.

OR it culd be Belt is an under achieving talent and we should dump his ass.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Edd, of the usual starting 8, Belt has the 4th best OPS, 4th best .SLG, 5th best OBP, tied for 3rd in HRs with Panda, has his average up to .263 after a horrendous first month, is one of the best defensive 1B in MLB, and has probably saved one or two games with his leather already, and frequently saves throwing errors from Panda and Scutaro. And, he usually hits 6th to 8th, depending on how far he is into Bochy’s doghouse. He’s not McCovey, but he’s only 25 and looking to be better eventually than JT Snow. If they dump his ass, who will they put over there that is better?…

• eddacker said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:30 pm

The giants have 2 problems, Posey needs to play first and they have no other catcher. Belt is great, but mgmt is not appreciative.They wanted a left fielder. It is all discombobulated. They waited for the other Brandon because they needed a shortstop. Right now they have a great young first baseman that doesn’t hit well in the clutch. And Posey can’t stay at catcher. It sucks. Posey catching and Belt at first is my choice, mgmt not so much, apparently.

27. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The All-Star game was fun last year because the Giants players dominated it. That was somewhat tarnished later when Melky got busted. In general, I’ve always thought the 3-days off from regular games was a drag. The All-Star game itself is OK, I watch it usually, but the 3 days off always seems like a long time.
    I don’t think I’ve voted for the All-Star game in over 20 years. I last voted on punch-cards at a game.

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I hope someone else gets busted. Baseball is full of cheats that don’t get caught.

28. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Here’s a little math quiz for y’all. How quickly does a 90 MPH fastball get to the plate?
    The answer is……

.4 of a second. That’s how quickly the batter has to react.

29. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Another Dodger pitcher down for the season. Nelasco’s price just went up. Josh Beckett to have surgery to remove his first rib on pitching side to fix tingling and weakness in his pitching arm. As I predicted several weeks ago. Sounds like thoracic outlet syndrome, which is what our friend Noah Lowry actually had, eventually diagnosed by outside medicos. Beckett future is problematical…

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Good for them. Dodgers suck.

30. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Utterly pathetic first inning. Pomeranz offers to give us runs GRATUITOUSLY but the Giants so-called batters decline the offer.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Heck, I’d give Pence a day off and put Belt in the OF anyway. Pence is really struggling, he has not missed a game so far this season. Maybe he should…

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm

This is grating.

31. Bozo said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hey, no runs allowed in the first.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm

It was close, but Bum got it done with a lot of effort…

32. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

After watching the beer truck driver make another out I’m trying to figure out why the Giants didn’t sign Ramon Hernandez. The Dodgers ditched him this week and i know he wasn’t hitting well but he is a major lg catcher. You cannot tell me that the two guys we have masquerading as a backup catcher now are better than Ramon Hernandez. He signed with someone today, I think Toronto. We could have signed Hernandez and gotten rid of these two chumps and had two catchers on the roster both actual major league catchers

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

2 years ago we supposedly had a cornucopia of catchers in the system, best depth in MLB, with Posey at the top. Now, after Tommy Joseph got traded for Pence, bupkis. What happened? BTW, Joseph is flailing with the Phillies Class A team in Clearwater. He apparently got a concussion, and is having a tough time coming back so far…

33. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Somebody needs to hit a 3 run homer today. Or, even a 2 run job. A Giant, I mean…

34. Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Am I the only one more confident that the pitcher might get a hit than most of this lineup?

35. Bozo said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:06 pm

We scored first, we win. just call the game now.

36. paulinasia said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:14 pm

“(Bochy) said he and Belt this morning discussed doing some outfield work. To be honest, this should have happened as soon as it became clear Angel Pagan was going to be lost for an extended period.” Flappers often wonder here just how much the beat writers actually press management on some issues (seemingly, not much). At least here’s Henry giving an opinion. Very genteel, though, huh… “to be honest”… To be honest, this team absolutely sucks right now, and you’d think they’d try to get a little creative to have their best players on the field. I could be wrong, but if this line-up suggests “best players”, yikes…

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:20 pm

If I were Belt, I’d be chomping at the bit to play some OF. If he could prove himself serviceable there, his trade value would go up, and if I were Belt, I’d be looking to get traded somewhere that has management staff that could coach him better, not fuck around with his head, and have a shorter RF and right center. He’ll easily hit 20 HRs next year in a smaller ballpark…

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:23 pm

It would have been proactive and made perfect sense to have him take fly balls in LF. Shit, just put him on shag detail someone’s got to do it. Who knows maybe belt gets some decent practice out of it. Sadly baseball doesn’t do things proactively- creature of habit league

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Totally agree. I guess I go back to my days as a kid playing ball. I usually played SS or LF or pitcher. But, hell, I’d play anywhere just so I could play. Put me in coach was the attitude of most kids, other than the fraidy cats who only liked one position (scared of grounders, mostly). I can’t really imagine what harm it would do after taking his regular infield to shag flies and some line drives at ATT and on the road…

37. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm

How about we mix it up a little? We Score 2 We Win. Hey, if it ever happens again it could catch on!

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Sorry, with this lineup today, we got our one. Pitchers need to fling a shutout…

38. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Wow, what was that base running? Worked anyway…

39. Bozo said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Keep sticking it to em, Giants.

40. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Alright, there’s the 2 run dinger!
    Who said Pence needed the day off?… 😉

41. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

4-0? That feels like 4 td’s right now

42. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

RUNS! Plural!!

43. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I’d bet that Abreu base running Fkup generating the throwing error flustered the pitcher and Pence capitalized on the ensuing pitching mistake. Maybe we should make bonehead baserunning plays more often…

44. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Quiroz says take THAT, haters. 🙂

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I am indulging in something I do occasionally: namely, just survey comments here, in lieu of following the real-life game, via any means whatsoever. (I took or tried to take a very brief nap. Didn’t work.) Came here. Four-zip??? Heck!!! Reading that, I haven’t had so much fun since cavorting with a bevy of exotic dancers, simultaneously! (Hint: such erotic *contortion cavortion* occurred more recently than the Eighties. That’s all I’ll own up to.)

46. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Wow, Crawford is in a serious, long hitting funk. An RBI from him there would have been huge to get the lead over 4. Nobody in management ever rips him in the press for poor hitting. Wonder why…

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Because he’s hitting better than expected, overall.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:01 pm

So, Belt is publicly pilloried because Giants management had too high expectations?…

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Some of you guys compare Crawford and Belt sometimes. It’s apples and oranges. Nobody compares shortstops and first basemen from a hitting standpoint.
        Belt has a lot of underlying numbers that support him playing everyday. So I support that, too.
        But Jesus, it’s not like Barry Bonds is sitting.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I guess so, Snarkk. But I don’t think Belt’s been “pilloried.”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm

he’s cuter, and his sister is too

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm

no, snarkk, bc neither Belt nor his wife are as cute as folks in the Crawford clan; we’re all about style.

47. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm

The gestalt mosaic of following a game here is rewarding — when we are winning. Keep it up, mates. Have to head out soon, to pick up daughter at Destiny USA. I will expect text updates. My sources know who they are. Thanks in advance. One caveat: I fecking want updates only if it is fecking good news. This is what I say to my texters when I’m at the ballet. It works there.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

What is Destiny USA? Sounds like either an amusement park or an Up With People clone…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Both. It’s the infinitely pretentious name for the new and expanded and *imporved* Carousel Mall. Macdog and I met there last summer.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Got it…

48. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Kindle-users, Amazon has a discount on a book about DiMaggio’s hitting streak, published a couple of years ago, called appropriately “56,” for $2.99.

49. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm

OK, maybe I used hyperbole a bit on Belt being “pilloried”. Publicly ridiculed? Anyway, you guys are tired of me backing up Belt, I get it. I just see an unfairness dumped on this kid, making the MLB minimum, from management, for some reason, since he arrived. Yet, because a guy like Rohand had a huge contract, hardly a peep from management about his suckage for 3 1/2 years. I get the difficulty in comparing SS hitting with 1B hitting. But, these days, the SS is no longer considered a hitless position so long as you can glove it. Tulo, Segura, Peralta, Hardy, Rollins, Reyes — all these SSs can hit, and with some pop. OK, I’m done with Belt for now…

50. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm

“That was not smart baserunning from Perez there”
    ” Pay attention, he had no choice”
    ” That’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever said and there’s plenty of competition”
    ” Listen, moron…”

Flavor and Twin take over for Kruk and Kuip….

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Ratings would go way way up

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:34 pm

“Jane, you ignorant slut”.
      “Dan, you pompous ass”…

51. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Please, Boch. Can we have a No Affeldt day?
    I know you like getting the guy back on the horse the next day, but, how about leaving Affeldt’s horse in the barn today?…

52. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm

How about bringing Romo out for a multi inning ride around the ring? He’s gonna forget the pitching motion if this goes on any longer

53. Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Rockies give one back!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

another flavorful tea leaf! rose hips? [Rose Hips. NOT a good stripper name.]

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Mall tea? Teavana. Now owned by Starbucks. Step right up and get your 6 oz. of Monkeydoo Mountain tea for only $66. It’s really good, lots of great phytochemicals…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm

never. I’d buy from Roji Tea Lounge, downtown.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Tea and a massage combo?…

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Glad to hear local establishments getting patronage. Starbucks sells swamp water, not coffee. I was afraid they were going to buy Peets coffee, but luckily some German outfit bought Peets instead. They haven’t made too many changes, so far. I’m a Peetnik from way back in Berkeley days, used to frequent their original store #1 at Walnut Square. A woman who lived in the ground floor of the place I rented (third story of a three story house) worked there. Eccentric would put it mildly. We had mice in the house once. Did she put out traps? No. She spread food on the pantry floor to “feed them”…

• Bozo said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Didn’t the guy who started Starbucks start out at Peets? I get Peets French Roast UPSed to me every month.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hey Bozo, cool that you’re getting some Peets. Yeah, Peets was started in ’66 by Mr. Peet and actually sold beans to the early Starbucks in Seattle when it started out locally up there. I think one or more of the early Starbucks owners bought Peets from Mr. Peet in the mid ’80s, after they sold out Starbucks to Shultz, who then super sized Starbucks nationally and globally. Shultz has had nothing to do with Peets, luckily, as far as I know. Have you ever tried the Major Dickason’s Blend of Peets? My favorite, great flavors, though I now get the decaf. The regular version is very tasty, but careful, if you’re not used to strong coffee, it will blow your face off. If you’re handling Peet’s French, then you can handle Major Ds…

• Bozo said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Snarkk, yup, Major Dickason’s, House Blend etc. I love the French Roast because it’s really a dark roast (almost burnt). One store up the beach has the beans but when I first moved here nobody did. I tried some of the local roasts and had one that I didn’t mind so much, but my wife knew I really wanted Peet’s so she started an order for me. And yeah, Peets could probably jump start a John Deere.
        Good brew.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I’d say my fav Peets in order are: Major D’s, French, Mocca Java, all decaf. I like the 101 Blend and the Fair Trade, too, in regular. Not a big fan of Sumatra. Gaia is OK. The pop of a girlfriend of the older Snarkette is apparently now managing Peet’s #1 in Berkeley, so next time I’m there, I’ll have to see if I’m good for a free cup. When we lived in Texas in the 90’s, I got a monthly mail order of Peets back then, too. It wasn’t anywhere in the stores back then, and the monthly delivery was a lifeline back to the Bay Area…

54. Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Rox put in a lefty with a pinch-hitter due up for the Giants, they must be in on the Belt Conspiracy, too.

55. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This Outman guy sucks, wasn’t he exiled from A’s?
    But pls explain to me why you would choose to wear a number like 88?

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:03 pm

It’s a luck thing, usually Asian people are down with it

• willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm

earlier in his career he was 55. Gotta think he coulda had 88 any time he wanted. Not too many Chinese in mlb.but you are right. Gf is from Taiwan and has 88 in one of her email addresses.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

4 is the number associated with death in many Asian cultures — China and Japan for sure. I remember being in a Tokyo modern highrise hotel, no 4th floor. McCovey would have been a really scary hitter over there in Tokyo…

56. Flavor said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Why the fuck isn’t romo in the game?!?!??,

57. paulinasia said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm

At least you all are getting to (finally) (hopefully) watch some winning baseball. I’m stuck here in Phillie land watching the Dogs beat up on Philly 6-0 and about to take 3 of 4….. Puig, 4 for 4. He was actually thrown out trying to steal a base, and he acted like his pet dog had died. Yes, it doesn’t ALWAYS work out for the best, young man….

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Puig’s had some interesting plays in the field this weekend.

58. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm

What’s Puig hitting now — .600? I don’t care that he’s only been around a month or so. This is some amazing shit he’s doing…

59. Bozo said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm

WIN!!!

60. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Romo owes Rosario dinner for that run he gave up…

61. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:30 pm

They needed that one, big time.
    Let’s get at least the split in Cincy to make this trip somewhat palatable…

62. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 4:36 pm

V. For. Um. Um. Um. VICTORY.

63. willedav said, on June 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I know it’s a minor thing when you finally rack up a W, but Quiroz last AB bugged me, because I’ve seen it too often from others. First and third one out, your job is get the ball in the air, esp when Perez one of the fastest guys on the team is on third. Instead he pulls it to SS and is an easy GIDP.
    In the Pirates game they had sacks loaded bottom of 13th with one out and the announcer is saying to get the ball in the air it’s best to try to go opposite field or up the middle, because if you pull it you are more likely to roll hands over yada yada. Sure enough with 5 IFs (3 on right side for the lefty hitter) Pedro Alvarez grounds one into the shift and winds up with a GIDP.
    Reds lost again too, 8th in last 11.

64. snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Is Arias still hurt, unavailable, and still not on the DL? Or?…

• twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 6:28 pm

No DL. Was said to be available to pinch hit but they’d have to run for him.

65. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm

To whom it may concern- tomorrow’s Giants game is being televised by the MLB network.

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

It’s on ESPN.

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Ah, thanks for the correction. ESPN it is.

66. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Yes. And at a reasonable East Coast hour, 7 p.m.

67. twinfan1 said, on June 30, 2013 at 8:34 pm

From the Merc blog: “Joe Ritzo reports that Angel Villalona was promoted to Double-A Richmond. Villalona hit .229 with 14 homers and 42 RBIs in 73 games with San Jose.”
    Not exactly sparkling numbers but maybe they want to fast track him outta here. A guy starting to come on strong is Mac Williamson..

• Alleykat said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:12 pm

He’s not to strong in 2 category’s though Twin.
      76 K’s in 333 AB’s and what’s with 7 errors in 67 games in RF? Guy is a “Butcher” with the leather.
      Like the name Mac “the hack” Williamson though for his hitting and fielding.

• Flavor said, on July 1, 2013 at 5:58 am

both of them are dead-red hackers. They can hit fastballs, let’s see what happens when they get to the next level and they start seeing quality breaking balls.

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2013 at 9:26 am

Angel is a dead read hacker, Williamson not so much. And unlike “Matt” Dominguez, Mac is a prospect. BP rates him 7th best in our system.
        Overall Future Potential: 6; first-division player

Explanation of Risk: High risk; short-season resume; loud tools but bust potential.

Fantasy Future: Prototypical corner profile, with big power potential; 25-plus HR pop; good secondary skills.

The Year Ahead: Williamson’s raw tools are legit, but scouts are mixed as to whether he will be able to hit at the highest level. He’s a good candidate to move fast and mash in the lower levels, but the swing could limit his success against better pitching and he has bust potential as a result. With a limited sample, the future is still very cloudy, but Williamson has a rare tool package for a college draftee and a very high ceiling should the bat play.

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Yeah, if he can somehow show something in AA for a few weeks, they can package him in a trade…

68. zumiee said, on June 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Can anyone remember the last time a division, at the beginning of July, had all the teams within 4 games of each other? Pretty trippin.’

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Gee it’s past some of your bedtimes. I guess it’s the hot weather.

• Nipper said, on June 30, 2013 at 10:30 pm

oops just thinking to myself, I forgot to shut off my fingers.