A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Difference Between Those Who Have Won and Those Who Haven’t

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 8, 2013

I asked a question for Dodger fans the other day and since we only have 2 of them who barely even infrequently come to the blog I wasn’t expecting an answer. But The Rooster (formally *gloating* and probably soon to be gloating again after this past weekend) was kind enough to come back with a detailed post. I really appreciated that and wanted to make it it’s own thread…..

Rooster said, on July 8, 2013 at 3:31 pm (Edit)

Hey, hey G’s fans – good to see you all still going at it here in BF’s own private “Splash” – just got back from camping out down the coast in Carlsbad, so missed the Sat & Sun games – looks like the Dodgers gave away Sat’s game with the 3 unearned – shoulda been a sweep.
Anyways, congrats on the 2nd WS win last season – I really thought Giants were doomed after going down 0-2 to Cincy – hell of a run they put on after that.
Obviously I got out of blogging a few years back, but when the Dodgers-Giants get together I still remember way back all those years ago when I came across all you nuts @ the Splash. Lucky for you guys BF took the best of the posters from there and brought ‘em here – just been browsing back thru the weekend posts and you guys got a great spot here for talkin’ hardball.
Just to answer your question BF – the one from a couple posts back about am I bothered about the Dodgers not winning a WS in so long? It’s been so long I’ve grown kinda used to it to tell you the truth. I still remember vividly where I was when Gibby hit that HR off Eck and limped around the bases – remember it like it was yesterday – also remember that that would have never happened if Scioscia hadn’t popped one out off Gooden and the Mets in the NLCS to keep that series going.
Does it bother me that the Dodgers haven’t won a WS since then?
I don’t really think much about it – I watch the games when I can – which isn’t nearly as much as I used to be able to when I first met you guys – and I still root for them to win, but I don’t put expectations on them to do so. I still read the box-scores every morning – check on how Loney’s doing over with the Rays (still hitting above .300 ! unfuckingbelievable) – yes I still get the Times delivered every morning – I’ll be doing that ’till the day I die – just love the old-school box-scores in the morning paper.
So, yeah, I wouldn’t say it really bothers me all that much – If they don’t have a good enough team to make the playoffs, so be it – I’ll watch the MLB playoffs anyway, I love good baseball – and sure it would be great for the Dodgers to make the playoffs and win, but you have to play good baseball to get there – Dodgers have come close (Phillies had their number) recently but haven’t been able to close the deal.
Giants 2 out of the last 3 – that’s gotta feel good.

__________________________________________________-

Rooster, thanks for this detailed response. I was hoping either you or Sandy would respond. I don’t think we have any other Dodger fans here. Thank God. 🙂
You said “I don’t really think much about it” and that triggered something for me. We had never won a WS in my lifetime (and I don’t give a shit about the other five they won in NY) so it just wasn’t something I ever thought about or could think about since I’d never gotten to experience it what it felt like. So I couldn’t really think about it. It had never happened.
I do recall more frustration before 2010. Like, “WTF, why do we lose EVERY year!?!?!!?”.
Then 2010 happened. And 2012 was even better in some ways because of all the elimination game wins. But nothing touches 2010 in terms of the first moment of winning it all–emotions overwhelmed me, memories of the Stick and all the games I’d been to suddenly crashed down upon me, the thousands of hours I had invested in watching games, following the team, reading about them, THINKING about them….” It was like all of a sudden it became worth it. And I suspect it was like that for many of the rest of us….

These days, the Giants are smoking copious amounts of  pole. Strangely, I am not frustrated. I want them to win but I don’t need them to win. And I don’t think about what it felt like pre-2010 because I don’t really remember what it felt like except as if someone was reading me a story about being a Giants fan and I was in one of the chapters. I remember it happening, I just don’t remember the pain and the suffering……

I don’t feel complacent or less hungry for another World Series win. I’m hoping for several more before I die and I’ll be doing what I can after death to bring SF a few more. But the 2010 win did get me off The List and into The Club. And while I will always be able to walk the earth with those on The List I am perfectly fine basking in this never ending supernova that burns so brightly in The Club……

1. paulinasia said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Watch, as soon as I say this, Noonan will get the game winning hit, but I’m sorry… if Noonan is playing on any kind of a regular basis or even irregular basis, the team is in trouble. So many reasons why this team is among the worst in the majors right now, but Noonan even playing is symbolic. And that’s my late night negativity for tonight. Hope to wake up to a win. If you can’t beat the Mets….. well… just play good ball, guys, huh? No?

Of course Sabean sounded like he was giving up. He built this team. It won a World Series again. These guys need a week away from the game. Good thing the break is coming. I wish no Giants were even going to the game. Hope for some energy in the 2nd half, ’cause they ain’t got it now.

2. zumiee said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:30 pm

“You get to the point where you’re not even tired.”- a line from Elton John’s song “Holiday Inn,” from his classic album “Madman Across The Water.”

3. paulinasia said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I’m pissed off. And the players should be too. I don’t want to read any more stories about the quiet locker room. Where’s their pride? They’d better come back after the break with a major chip on their shoulders. Bochy already admitted he thinks he might be losing his mind. I don’t blame him.

• zumiee said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Maybe I’m crazy, but this just feels like a really important game that they really need to win to help turn things around. You never know at which point you’ll look back and point to the moment when things began to turn around, if they turn around.

• zumiee said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’m not a believer that all games are created equal.

4. zumiee said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:46 pm

On to the 15th inning! 🙂 😦

5. salty said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Safe bet Posey will be at 1b tomorrow

• xoot said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Or PH off the bench.

6. zumiee said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Another inning of Kontos is dice-rolling time.

7. eddacker said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Well, what have we here?
    breakfast baseball
    how about a win?

• salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:01 am

Well, been some.sparkling D after that horsebleep in the 6th.

8. xoot said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Hey, James, how’s your brother doing?

9. zumiee said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Nice catch, Cole!

Now let’s get a run and get this thing done.

10. eddacker said, on July 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

K&K may be dragging, but there are some people in Texas that are really wishing the Giants would win this game. that is where MLB TV telephone support is. they usually go home at midnight, but have to stay on the phones as long as there is a game going on. Mets in a lot of long ones recently?

11. eddacker said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:03 am

Lookiing at the box score – holy shit!!
    Nice to see Tim go 7 with 11 SO
    hit by pitch, perfect sacrifice Pence going goofy in the dugout
    some smiles
    lwt’s go my Giants!!

12. eddacker said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:04 am

Actually, I am liking this: could we change home game start times to 10pm? Breakfast baseball more often

13. salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:05 am

Yungo for the win… has to be.

14. eddacker said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:05 am

guys talking about Posey doing 15 innings, what about Lou Seal?

15. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:09 am

Unbelievable, Giants have bases loaded, can’t pee a drop in the 14th. 1 for 16 tonite with RISP…

16. zumiee said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:10 am

Well, who’s pitching this 16th?

17. salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:10 am

giants have left more men in scoring position than a eunuch in a gay bar.

18. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:11 am

You’re KILLING ME Giants…fucking KILLING ME! 16 LOB…WTF!

19. eddacker said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:11 am

It is a beautiful summer’s morning, the blue sky goes on forever and the world seems at peace.

I am watching my team play baseball.
    I love my life.

20. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:13 am

Shit. Staying up late with no reward in site. Now 1/13 with runners in scoring position. Augh. I repeat the earlier comments. Why ever pitch to Posey? At least Pablo finally got a hit. Just like 2010 I will leave “panda” in the drawer. No one as bad as him gets a cool nickname.

Miler just said 11 runners left on in the last 4 innings. Kontos starting his 3rd inning:(

Off to bed. Gnite

21. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:13 am

Kontos goes for 3 shutout innings. He’s got the slider going. Dare I think he can go 3 safe frames?…

• salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:15 am

Dicey.

22. xoot said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:17 am

the ballpark looks like Hitchcock’s The Birds.

23. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:19 am

Bochy is definitely in a funk. He tried to pull Kontos when he couldn’t, in the middle of the AB, by rule since one visit had already been made in that AB…

• zumiee said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:21 am

That’s confusing. 🙂 It’s late.

• xoot said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:32 am

didn’t matter, they were walking the guy anyway

24. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:22 am

Let’s go Javier!

25. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:24 am

Are you fucking kidding me?

26. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:24 am

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUkkkkkk!…

27. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:24 am

All the god damned chances to close this fucker out, and this? snarkk…you find any good ledges?

• snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:25 am

Maybe they’ll pull it out…

• chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:30 am

They are SO OVERDUE…would be sweet…GO GIANTS!

28. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:24 am

Damn. Shoulda gone to bed.

29. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:25 am

Is this an example of how bad teams find ways to lose? YES

30. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:33 am

Belt with 5 Ks. He shoulda gone to bed…

31. zumiee said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:33 am

Belt, 0 for 8. Ouch.

32. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:37 am

This game is giving me a serious headache…

33. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:39 am

Here we go…just follow-through this time boys!

34. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:39 am

snarkk..Hope you are right

• chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:40 am

Me too!

35. salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:39 am

Up to the fat man. Talk about DUE!

• salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:42 am

Pathetic.

36. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:42 am

Fuck!

Okay Quiroz…

37. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:42 am

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

0r 1/15 with runners in scoring position???

Quiros again??

38. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:43 am

Great, but killer game. They just cannot score…

39. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:43 am

Nope. I still hope, but foiled again

40. xoot said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:43 am

Bueans noches.

41. chipower9 said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:43 am

FUCK FUCK FUCK. Really? This is so damned pathetic. I am FROSTED! Night Flappers. Get ’em tomorrow.

42. sportdude said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:44 am

truly awful. 11th inning on left 13 runners on. Wow

43. eddacker said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:44 am

damn, back to reality.
    Belt, Belt? where are thou belt?

44. Macdog said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:46 am

And so it goes.

45. salty said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:56 am

49ers open camp.soon?

46. snarkk said, on July 9, 2013 at 12:57 am

Crawford saved the game with that super play in the hole to get Bird earlier, which inning I don’t remember, then he lost the game with that kick in the 16th…

47. SanDawg said, on July 9, 2013 at 1:38 am

Just got in from a night on the town. We lost in 16 innings? Incredible. Belt went 0-8 with 5 strikeouts. Ouch babe. What is that —the platinum sombrero?
    My night had its ups and downs. A young lady I used to make some time with is officially done with San Dawg. On a positive note, I rocked a pretty well received karaoke version on “Rockstar” by Nickelback.

• Flavor said, on July 9, 2013 at 6:18 am

please tell me the young lady video taped that before she bid you adieu….

48. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 9, 2013 at 4:28 am

Not a very good wakeup call. I feel hung over, like a truck hit me. I stayed up through 12 innings of THAT?