A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Boring Game But an Exciting Trade Offer

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 17, 2013

If you like *boring* you got it last night. The most exciting part of the game was probably when they miked up the “Enter Sandman” intro for Mariano Rivera. I heard that it was actually that rad song that got the MVP, not Rivera.

The NL scored nothing and Bochy was strangely comfortable watching it happen……

Well, last night’s game got us properly ready for today: another long day without baseball. With only 2.5 hours to go, about the only thing to watch is whether or not Blade’s trade with Kokonuts gets vetoed by the rest of the Flap Fantasy league owners. The vote is currently 5-1 to veto, but it needs one more vote to get overturned….

Kershaw for Freeman?

Why not, let’s have a vote here. Just to see if the votes at the Flap line up with the votes in the fantasy league. Purely for entertainment purposes.

1. willedav said, on July 17, 2013 at 7:50 am

Dunno what stats you guys use, but it would depend on your team I guess in terms of what you need and where you stand. Kershaw does not have all that many Ws; with Freeman I’d be worried about injuries to guys hitting around him and whether you think McCann would get hot and protect him.
    OK, when I asked something yesterday I didn’t phrase it right. So, if you are the Giants, what are you looking for in a deal, esp if you decide to dump off a regular/SP? If you like what you have pitching at lower minors (maybe year or two away) then what are your areas of more immediate need? Specific positions you would be trying to upgrade? Are you after a big stick/proven hitter or younger prospects? What do you think you could get for a set up guy like Affeldt or Lopez?

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:00 am

Lopez is such a specialist, not sure you get much in return.

Affeldt is owed the remainder of 6 mil this year, and 6 mil in each of the next two years, so I just don’t see many teams wanting to bite that off for a reliever (esp. the way he has struggled of late).

I really haven’t thought about what I would want, because I just cannot wrap my brain around going into “sell mode.” I still think with a decent starter, and possibly a BP arm or OFer (and I’m not really sure they need to add in the OF right now), the team can still make a run at things this year. Way to early to throw in the towel IMO. This 10 game HS will be telling as to where they go before the deadline.

If they have a good homestand (7 or 8 wins) and can hold the line through August…from the end of August through almost all of Sept. they are playing in division, and have a chance to really make up ground in the West.

• willedav said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:27 am

I talked to a red sox fan Saturday in the store where I work who was going to game in Oaktown that night with the wife (and was all geared up, shirt and hat). I asked him what he thought they needed, and he said “bullpen help.” I think a lot of teams feel that way.
        I think if SF doesn’t make up ground soon, Sabes starts trying to put together pieces for next year and beyond–who he wants to keep/what is available either now or off season.

2. chipower9 said, on July 17, 2013 at 7:53 am

I voted no. Here is why (these numbers are MLB wide, not NL only):

Freeman:
    RBI – T16
    HR – T 99
    AVG – 24
    OPS – 27

Kershaw:
    WHIP – 1 (.91)
    IP – 2
    AVG (Against): 1 (.188)

Kershaw, while his record of 8-6 is somewhat pedestrian, the dude flat-out dominates in every major stat category, and we know outside of stats what the guy can do.

Freeman…now talking about pedestrian. I mean he has decent stats, but no way he is on a par with Kershaw, IMNSHO.

You’re right Flav, that game last night was boring as hell.

Time to focus on the second half and see what our boys in the Orange and Black can do. More often than not, they seem to get hot post-AS break.

Series against the Snakes is HUGE…really, the entire home-stand is. I think they MUST go 7-3 at a minimum. Two would be OK against Zona, but a sweep would set the tone for a nice second half start.

GO GIANTS!

3. willedav said, on July 17, 2013 at 7:56 am

And Nip, pls. It isn’t about a P trying to hit or bunt, it’s about how the game is played, using PHs and making double switches, and making any hitter play the field too. I’d forgotten they use it in AS games, something I’m sure guys like Mays think is another thing that ruins the game he loves so much.

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:05 am

Agree…the DH just takes so much of the strategy out of the game. It should be abolished from MLB.

Unfortunately, I think it a matter of time before it shows up in the NL. And if it happens, that will be a sad day for the game we all love so dearly.

• Nipper said, on July 17, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Fans want to see action not strategy. Play chess if one hungers for strategy.

4. Alleykat said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:23 am

DH Sucks Bleep..
    Yeah this homestand is “CRITICAL ”
    They need to go 8-2
    God I hope they bring up Surkamp to pitch atleast in that DH against the Reds.
    With are luck Zito will be the pitcher as the road team guy,and get hammered to make him 0-9 in his starts.Fuck that!!

5. Flavor said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

I am nothing if not a man of the people. I respect the people’s word. Trade went through about 15 minutes ago. 5 voted it down, 1 voted to allow it, 5 others abstained.

6. zumiee said, on July 17, 2013 at 9:17 am

Regarding calling it the “second half,” that’s not near correct, really. The All-Star game was later this year; the Giants have played 94 games so far, with only 68 games left. 68 games to make up a 6 1/2 game deficit, while also leap-frogging a few teams in the division, is a big challenge.
    It’s a big challenge, but the Giants can do it. Pawlie, you of all people should know that- you literally wrote the book on great comebacks- “Baseball’s Starry Night”!! πŸ™‚

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2013 at 9:35 am

I, and I think all here, know that the season passed the true “half-way point” weeks ago (game 82 was actually end of June). But for practical purposes, most still refer to post-AS as the second half.

Hell, many of us were talking about the clip the Giants would have to play at to win 85-88 games (I think it will take at least 88 to win the West). To do so, the Giants have to play at like a .6xx clip. Daunting? Yes. Possible? You betcha.

7. snarkk said, on July 17, 2013 at 10:06 am

Given the NY location of the game and the Mets starter clearly being qualified to start it, it was obviously the historically right thing for Bochy to let Harvey start it; let alone Bochy may have been told to do that by MLB. So, Kershaw’s “it hurts” was a dumb “look at me” type statement unnecessarily criticizing Bochy, and putting Kershaw halfway to Loserville. LA will shovel at least $200M in guaranteed dough to this kid soon, so he better smarten up…

8. snarkk said, on July 17, 2013 at 10:14 am

I didn’t see one bit of the game last night. I used to look forward to seeing it, now, eh, whatever. Sounds like a scripted homage to Rivera for NYC consumption. Radio this morning just gushing all about Rivera. Whatever, yeah he’s the best closer ever, I suppose. And, everybody saying he did it during the ‘roids era. At least one person on the radio chimed in and said, hey, we don’t know that he wasn’t on the juice, too. Exactly, we don’t. The Yanks weren’t exactly the choirboys of the ‘roids era. Pettite ‘fessed up to using the stuff in the Clemens investigation, and who would have known that he was using — nobody…

9. blade3colorado said, on July 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Question – If the Gmen offer Tiny Tim a qualifying one year deal this off season of $11-15 million dollars, but he declines and signs elsewhere, do we receive draft pick compensation from the team that signs him? I am fairly certain that the answer is yes, but not 100%. Any opinions?

By the by, Willie is spot on (and he doesn’t play FL) with regard to evaluating this trade, when he says, “. . . but it would depend on your team I guess in terms of what you need and where you stand.” Fantasy league baseball is not reality baseball, i.e., there are different dynamics. rules, and considerations at play versus the real game.

Oh, yes I agree – that Flav is a man of the people. Moreover, he isn’t in fear when I make a trade or anyone else makes a trade for that matter. In my opinion, If you want to get better in fantasy league, you can’t sit on your team’s roster (especially if you are in last place) and expect some divine power to magically make your team better). You have to wheel and deal with trades and review the waiver wire daily if you expect to climb the standings. πŸ™‚

• Alleykat said, on July 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Or communicate with Anna, she does have magical powers between her thighs …
      πŸ™‚

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Yes, they would receive a pick, but not “from” the team who signed him. But, the team who did sign him would lose a pick.

Here is an article that does an okay job of explaining the current system.

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm

well, he didn’t need a first baseman and his pitching staff sucks so giving away the best pitcher for a mid level first baseman was, ahem, not a good move….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm

oh no! it was??? and you said you’d be impartial. (Now you tell me.) If you feel that way, invoke your inner Bowie Kuhn and veto it outright.

• eddacker said, on July 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I’d have a hard time giving away Kershaw for Cabrera unless fielder was thrown in.

10. eddacker said, on July 17, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I got all excit_edd when I saw the headline about a “trade”
    did it go through?

11. Chico said, on July 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm

It’s been a few years since I did fantasy baseball (free CBS sports leagues). I don’t remember how the points were allocated but it seems to me like Kershaw is more valuable than Freeman, especially with that Dodger offense (was it 10 pts for a win?) I hope they fail big time, but that’s too much talent to suck as bad as they did last year.

12. Salty said, on July 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Watched very little of the game….tidbit that surprised the hell out of me was Kershaw wears 22 in honor of…. Will Clark?

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I know! I almost dismissed it just because it came from Buck. And I’m still skeptical. Kershaw was born in ’88, in Dallas, the earliest he could have started paying attention to baseball was ’94 or ’95, right? So that has him watching Will when he played for the Rangers and Will did have some decent years for Texas–better ones for us.
      Hey, he’s probably been picking his number at every level he’s been at and if he started with 22 because of the Thrill I guess it’s possible he kept it going all this time.
      Maybe he was just a huge fan of Jack Clark’s stats and was afraid to admit it. ) πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

13. manny said, on July 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Was reading that Forbes rated the worth of the Giants as number 49 out of all pro sports teams world wide at 786 million, about five or six baseball teams worth more. Pretty interesting list, the Raiders are supposedly worth just a million less than the Giants and come in at number 50.

14. willedav said, on July 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I don’t have an issue with the Rivera swansong, he seems like a class guy and handles interviews calmly and with aplomb. Romo could learn quite a lot from him. Hey, the game atmosphere etc. is all about New York shtick, what they do best. Schmaltz level was gonna be high.
    I’m glad Pawlie has gotten into the good graces of head bean counter and amy, but I can’t wait for the day K and K describe her in past tense as a *good Giant*…kinda like Zito and Wilson.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Listen, boys and girls, the context of my accepting the trade offer was that I have stayed in or near last despite any moves I have made for most of the latter part of the first half. My feeling was and pretty much is: have at it, offer me something, who cares, roll the dice, give it your best shot, and every other desperation cliche you can summon. I do not lose a wink of sleep over FL. Can I vote against I trade I accepted?

• Flavor said, on July 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Yes, you could have voted against it. But why would you? You engaged in it. Pawlie, free fantasy baseball is what it is, I don’t fault you for a nano second.
      But that’s why I play in pay leagues that don’t allow trades. To each his own, right? It’s all good my man, my thread today was just finding something to toss out there. All of you have marveled at my thread production over the years, sometimes I grasp at straws, like today.
      I’m allowed a foul ball or a straight swing thru now and again.

• eddacker said, on July 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Talk to Anna, no foul balls there.
        and PAWLIE, I knew your ‘shake-it-up’ logic on this trade and I say good on you.
        Now I have to hope Freeman catches lightning in a bottle.

16. blade3colorado said, on July 18, 2013 at 5:47 am