A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Flannery Takes the Blame–Hard

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 22, 2013

I was surprised to read Flannery’s complete-across-the-board mea culpa for sending Buster home in the 6th inning yesterday. I mean, if you want to adhere to NEVER sending a runner home with no outs unless you’re certain he will score then there really isn’t much to discuss. And I don’t have a huge problem with that perspective.

But a couple of things make it hard for me to skewer Flannery (the way he’s being skewered on Twitter):

1: He was out by 3 inches. The relay home had to be perfect. Unfortunately, it was.

2: the Giants haven’t been scoring runs. Who among us can’t envision a scenario where Buster gets stranded at 3rd? No one should be raising their hands…..

3: this is a little tough to see and I’ll agree this is open to interpretation. But Buster sure looked like he was running with the expectation that he was going to be held up at 3rd base. He turns on the gas as he’s rounding 3rd and he sees that Flann is sending him. If Buster’s running hard the whole way he scores…..

To me, Tanaka’s blunder in the 9th was much worse in terms of calculation of risk as well as not really running all out to get to 2nd. Maybe he thought he was all good but that dude is FAST, he likely would have been safe if he gunned it from the beginning of his decision to go all the way to the bag. I’m not certain of this, but I don’t even think he slid into 2nd base (although maybe he did). He did not look like he was approaching the bag with a sense of urgency (to me) that indicated a player who knew where the ball was (other than that it was *somewhere* behind him)……

But I recognize that getting thrown out at the plate is significantly worse than getting thrown out at 2nd base…..

So what do you guys think?

1. willedav said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’d be on the side of #2, bad decision but too many other bad things also accounted for the L. Posey is slow, and I was surprised where he was–maybe he was expecting to be held up. With no outs and Pence Belt due up, I’d say Sf was likely to get at least one run there to tie it up, and maybe a big inning. I can understand the gamble with a faster runner/less outs, but not there.
    Too many walks too, and Craw just missed a play where he could have gotten an out on a clean pick up. Ross hit wasn’t exactly a rocket, just a bloop that fell in.
    And as Z noted, nothing from K and K at any point on flans. Props to Flan too for manning up in front of everyone–make a bad call in his position and it will be noticed. T said the same thing, he made a bad decision at that point in game to take off to 2b.
    Baggs noted that SF is 8-4 vs. AZ this year. See what they can do vs. everyone else, esp those not in NL West.

2. Macdog said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:36 am

The Flannery play wasn’t a bright idea, but getting zero runs and 3 hits in 5-plus innings against Randall Delgado was way more distressing.

3. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:42 am

just watched the Tanaka replay–he did slide but he didn’t head for 2nd base until well after the ball got past Goldy. I didn’t see how hard he was running but he’s WAY up the line when he decided to turn and go…..

• willedav said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:00 am

and again, given the situation, his run means nothing. He stays at 1b, giants still need either a 2 run bomb or a couple more hits to tie it up.
      Ziegler is now AZ closer? That isn’t gonna last…given the quality of pitching in the division and the way DBax hit, I wouldn’t be surprised they go out and get more pitching, and soon.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:18 am

I know, I said the same thing in my thread. It was just an infuriating play.

4. Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:55 am

Toughest postion in baseball coaching 3B.
    Flannery manned-up and that’s all you can ask.
    I voted 2 as well. He is an aggressive coach and still one of the best over there.
    Sick and tired of the BS situation we have in LF.Boch has used 8 guys out there this year.And won’t even give his personal whipping boy Belt a shot who could be no worse then what we’ve seen.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:19 am

THAT is one of the great mysteries of this year. I understand not wanting to put him out there in Coors Field. But come on, he hadn’t even taken fly balls out there? He never shagged during batting practice? That’s just stupid, especially when it became clear the LF was going to be a black hole for us after Pagan went down.

5. Irish Kevin said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

Well, what is troublesome to me is the fact that the Giants do not have a good defensive player for LF. IMO even if the guy can’t hit at least have someone that can field the position. 8 different guys and not one can play?? I am sorry but your 7 and 8 hitters are not suppose to win games for you. Sandy Koufax use to say Mays, McCovey, all the 3, 4, 5 place hitters are going to get hits, but I own the 7, 8, 9 place hitters. And don’t give me that crap the game has changed and that all batters should be able to hit. If they could there would be higher scoring games. So put your best Defensive player out their and forget the rest.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:33 am

Yeah, the Belt thing is doubly infuriating when you think he played there for 30 games in 2011. And a few last year. Taking his bat out of the LU when Posey is butchering 1st is just dumb.

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:39 am

buster butchering 1st
      I like that thought

7. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:37 am

Willie, T’s run may have not meant anything (well, you have to get to 2 before you get to 3, so I don’t buy that either), but his out was huge. Seeing as Crawfish followed with in IF single, They’d have 2 on with no outs instead of one on, one out.. . .

8. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:38 am

Funny how Kruk had no problem roasting Tanaka for the out, but defended Flan. Given the situation, it (Flan’s) was the wrong call.

9. zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

I went into it pretty heavily yesterday on my feelings about how the basecoaches did, but I’ll just repeat something that Flannery said after the game. He said: “That can’t happen.” He’s right, it can’t. Not only was it inexplicable, it was dangerous. If Montero had been blocking the plate, there could have been a Posey collision at the plate, which is the last thing the Giants and their fans would want to see.
    I just threw up my hands when I saw Flannery waving Posey in. It’s the ultimate frustration for the fan: watching something so unnecessary (in my opinion); helpless to stop a catastrophe. And then more frustration heaped on by Krukow’s cover-up job. In my opinion.
    I’m trying to keep Ed’s advice from yesterday in mind. Always remember in times of baseball angst, it’s just men playing a game with sticks and balls.
    I’m not acting very sympathetic to Flannery. I need more time. I’ll get there. πŸ™‚

10. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:03 am

Flannery’s decision was bad, Tanaka’s worse…
    LF is only a problem because of, well, never mind. Have a nice day.

11. paulinasia said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

Seems like any trade chatter coming from the front office is focusing on acquiring more pitching. Sure, the team could use another arm, but as Flappers here are saying, I agree that the left field situation is way less than optimal. Does anyone know of any left-fielders in the majors who a) hit well (for average and power), b) field ok, and c) might be pried from a team that’s out of contention? Just curious who actually would be a possibility in a trade who could step in and be THE starting LFer the rest of the way….

12. salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Steward at the merc wrote a blistering piece..among other things ripping Sabes for not addressing the LF pos in the off season.
    But they don’t exactly grow on trees or come cheap. Maybe in hindsight they don’t sign Affeldt and use the dough for an OF.
    Again It comes back to the farm and the lack of progress there and the lack of depth for making a trade.
    They are rumored to be offering Susac and Bleach for Garza. Doubtful that has the Cubs drooling.

• salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:28 am

Er, Blach

13. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

Whenever anyone takes responsibility for being wrong, without excuse or equivocation, then that’s a stand up person. Too many people say “sorry” or some other type of “yeah but,” which has too much wriggle room in my opinion . . . Flannery does a lot of good to not be allowed an occasional “oh shit.”

14. salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:32 am

Could be academic if Bums stay healthy. On a 24-5 roll last month or so.

15. Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:40 am

Why don’t they atleast take out a flyer on pitcher Jars Juggriens? Dude has playoff experience and still young.

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

Who????

• Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

Braindead Blade..Jair Jugriens (sp)former Atlanta Brave pitcher.Recently released by Baltimore.

16. salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 10:44 am

In fairness to Sabean…they did spend $20m for Pagan and Pence…if Angel is healthy and contributing, LF isn’t a big issue.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

In fairness to Sabean, nobody, nobody in the minors can help that’s better than Francouer?…

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:43 am

I have to think when you are digging for some help and Frenchy is it, well, that makes my brain stop working.

17. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

I agree with zumiee, Flannery’s decision was flat wrong, stupid, and could have gotten your best player injured again, particularly with that ankle. Flannery fell on the sword, that was appropriate since he took it out of its sheath. Krukow’s excuse is bogus, and he knows it. Everybody in the park had to know the calculus, with no outs and a slow runner, you don’t risk an out at home when the sure alternative is guys on second and third and nobody out. It was mid game, not late in the game with a speedy runner when the risk is worth taking. Tanaka’s move was dumb, too, but that was more of an instinct play, apparently Roberto Kelly said nothing, did no coaching. So, Tanaka gets less blame in my book. Flannery knew the situation, had time to think about it before it even happened, and flat blew it anyway. Maybe they lose anyway if they score it, but we won’t know, since the out at home changed the whole complexion of the developing inning. If his thinking was screw the usual rules of coaching because we can’t score, then Sabes needs to re-tool for hitting. That’s where the LF mess comes in. Francouer? Sabes might as well have an open audition for the position today at noon at ATT. I’ll bring my glove and tube of BenGay…

18. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

Krukow said this morning that Affeldt’s been having groin issues for a while, and essentially it finally gave out. The usual revelatory medical news for the Giants after the fact, as in ho hum. Oh, BTW, Affeldt hasn’t been right for a long time, that’s why he’s sucked. That’s essentially what I got out of what Krukow said. News to me, news to most, I would assume. Assuming that’s true, why not DL a guy, get him right? Instead, he’s been pitching in sub-optimal health, that’s the deal? Now, he’s really injured enough to be out 3X the length of a DL stint, maybe effectively for the season. Groin pulls/tears are notorious for slow healing, and a pitcher with a bad groin is not going to pitch…

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

The usual revelatory medical news for the Giants after the fact
      Gads, is it the 1950s in the training room?
      If I notice it (time and time again) it MUST be way worse than it ever should get.

19. Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 am

OK, I’m in the minority here. I went with number 3. Buster was barely out and as Flav pointed out it took a perfect rely, or as Bochy said “it took two perfect relays to get Posey”. Down one, I think it was a worthwhile gamble. Agreed, you shouldn’t make the first out at home but I disagree that Posey should be kept out of close plays at the plate. Yes he got blown up on a bogus play at home but I don’t think that makes him so fragile that you can’t send him, at least I would hope not. So, I’m guessing that some of you are now second guessing the inside the park walkoff because Pagan is hurt and Flan gambled on that one?

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I totally believe Posey should be kept out of close plays at the plate, especially where, in no out situations like that one yesterday, there’s no good reason to send him slogging home to a bang bang play. There are $167 million reasons to keep him healthy. I said before I thought Pagan got hurt on the scrum after the ITP home run, I think Oracle said that I was FOS, he was hurt somewhat before that play (or maybe even before that game?). I dunno. Totally different runner and situation, though, for the Pagan waive on to home, compared to yesterday…

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I understand where you’re coming from snarkk, I just think it was a risk play to try and tie the game and I’m not going to bang on Flan for that even with no outs and even with Posey running. When the play was happening I was yelling go, so I’m not going to pretend that I wasn’t behind sending Posey. And sorry if I not in the camp that wants to play kid gloves with Posey, he’s being paid that money to play the game and he’s an in shape catcher not an overweight DH. Lastly, if Pagan injured his leg before the play then he probably was running about as fast as Posey during that run home.

I’m not trying to be a dick, I said I was in the minority so I realize my opinion isn’t shared by many here, it’s just how I felt about that play (and Buster in general I guess).

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Bozo, you’re not a dick. Just different opinon. That’s cool with me and everybody here. I’m not into babying Posey either, I’ve busted on Bochy for this night/day game musical chair thing with Posey and Belt. I don’t think they rested Molina much on day games after night games, did they? Buster’s only 26, so I don’t get the “rest” thing, unless his ankle still bothers him, which if it does, they would never let on, anyway…

20. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:32 am

Funny (well, kind of), I thought it would be an easy score, but I had just turned the game on, and I didn’t know it was Buster on base. Bang bang play, and the pisser is, if Buster puts his lead (lead, not lead) foot down, he scores.

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 11:58 am

I guess Buster being faster than JT Snow probably isn’t the greatest endorsement for sending him, but hey.

• unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I was thinking more long the lines of Big Titty.

• Nipper said, on July 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I bet Chuck’s dog would have been safe.

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I don’t know, I fault Flannery AND YET it was worth a try and yeah Tanaka strolled into second and personally this made two games in a row for me personally, two Sundays in a row, one with Mr. Baer and Amy G (can’t resist the name-dropping) when I got to actually watch the Giants and as a team they were as flat as a transgendered boy, or girl, take your pick. But two series wins in a row is good. [Still can’t find my interview with Amy G; she must’ve done enough research on me or The Flap to say, nope.] I think the game tonight is on for free here. Time-Warner is teasing us with freebies through Thursday or so.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

By the way (do you mind if I write it out instead of BTW), another lovely diving catch from the White Shark yesterday. We’re beginning to take it for granted. But, boys and girls, someday Gregor Blanco will swim in other waters and the images of these Kierkegaardian leaps by him will sparkle in iridescent memory.

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

BULLETIN: The Duchess of Cambridge just gave birth to a boy. Ho-hum.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Yeah another celebraty baby is born. wake me when he becomes king

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It could be a long wait, his grandfather is still waiting and he is 65.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm

At her rate, Queenie Liz will outlast Charles, he’ll never sit on the throne. The one you get crowned on at Westminster, I mean. She’s only 87 — the “Queen Mum” lived to 100…

• Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Closest Charles get to the throne is when he’s sitting on the toilet doing his “Royal Flush”

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

This day the USofA will be covered in Royal news. so I will give you two facts to impress your friends with.
      The Queen, who is head of the Commonwealth, which covers 54 nations and two billion citizens has a son and a grandson to follow her before it is the new kid’s turn. Betting on which name will be chosen has now surpassed $1.5M in the UK. George is at 5/2 and Larry, Moe or Curly are all at 33/1.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm

How about Fred? William, George, Edward, Henry — those have been DONE…

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Little no name ( I like Edward) will be the 84th king after his (many, many greats) grandfather William back in the 11th century.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hope he’s not Henry IX.
        That Henry VIII guy is a hard act to follow…

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I found this snippet in the article on today’s royal birth in The Guardian online edition. I thought this was the best line in the article…
      “William, 31, is following in Charles’s footsteps by attending the birth. His grandfather, Prince Philip, played squash during Charles’s birth.”

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Philip was breaking the tradition of most Englishmen who are in the pub during those happy times.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:12 pm

As long as he wasn’t in the pub during conception…

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I had nothing to do with it. I swear.

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm

why is your one hand hidden behind your back?

24. Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Flapper update….
    Garza goes to the Rangers for Mike Olt, CJ Edwards and 3rd player Not announced.
    Back to your regular scheduled programming.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm

CBS sports reporting 4 players possibly going to the Cubs. Looks like the main two may be pretty decent prospects. No way the Giants could come to that party. The Cubs pack ’em in, and have to have a big TV deal. Why they can’t put a team together in the past is a mystery to me. Part of it has to be the ballpark, IMO. They fix that thing up, keeping as much history as possible, they should be good to go under Epstein’s management. He’s acquiring the quantity of pieces needed to improve, seems like. But, giving up decent starters is a half step back…

25. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

One thing Kruk said this morning I agree with. He essentially said Flannery would not have sent Posey if the Giants had been scoring runs. I get that, totally am down with it. Still, if we give Flannery credit for good calls that pan out, he wears it for making bad ones. That one yesterday was bad, may have cost the game. IMO. And afterwards to the media, he wore it, like a man. That’s cool. Just don’t do it again. And, let’s start scoring runs, or get a hitter in here that can help do that…

• Nipper said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:33 pm

This club needs more hitters. It needs more action! I can’t believe people come out to the park and sit in the cold to watch this lineup.

26. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Flash:
    Ryan Braun suspended rest of season for PEDs violation. He basically issues mea culpa. More to follow.
    This confirms my strong suspicion last year that this guy is a dirtbag. Not for using PEDs. He was dirty last year, got off on a technicality seen only by an idiot arbitrator. The worst part was then Braun blamed the piss carrier — threw him under the bus as if this regular guy doing a job was part of some nefarious plot to defame him. Now, he fesses up. That is dirtbag activity…

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm

You’re right snarkk
      Ryan Braun said: “As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

All of that and not one, sorry Fedex dude who was just doing his job.

27. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

No shit. The biggest pisser in the whole thing was how he equated beating the test by technicality as being innocent. Far from it, dumbfuck. Hope he gets 100 games.

• Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Chuck….Their saving the 100 game suspension for A-Rod…

28. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Bartolo Colon is getting mighty nervous right about now. . . .

Well, Braun got at least 65 games off. Huzzah. I wonder if the Brewers were in the middle of the playoff hunt if this would have happened.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:06 pm

So, he loses about 40% of his salary this year. The Brewers should ship a chunk of that to the piss collector guy, his name is Dino Laurenzi, Jr. I hope Dino is enjoying his name being cleared, at least. If he hasn’t already, I hope he sues Dirtbag’s a$$ off for real defamation…

29. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Braun:

“As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed  all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

Complete and utter horseshit. He’s already looking forward to next season. Like Cabrera, he’ll get a nice vacation and go right back to the Brewers next year and resume as if nothing ever happened. He’s signed through 2020 for God’s sake. He had the chance to come clean last year, and instead kept using in the face of a botched piss handling. NOW he’s sorry? As usual, the only thing he’s sorry about is getting caught. He should be banned next season.

If they were serious, Bud would install a 2 year suspension for a 1st positive, and a lifetime ban for a 2nd. This 50 game/100 game shit is lame. Grow some balls, Bud, or forever be linked to the dirtiest era in baseball.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Maybe they figured they caught him red handed the first time, but he got off under that technicality; and then maybe this time is the second, but technically the first that counts, so instead of 100, they took somewhere in the middle of 50 and 100. Budster logic…

• xoot said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm

The length of the suspensions in the Biogenesis imbroglio don’t need to follow the usual 50 game, 100 game, lifetime schedule, in part because they’ve nabbed the malefactors here for long-term purchasing, not for testing positive. mlb probably reached a settlement with Braun–take the rest of the year and don’t contest/appeal, or we’ll really stick it to you.

The full list is supposed to be about 20 players.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I’m interested to see how this plays out, what MLB got on these guys. And, how that plays out under the CBA drug policy. I’m thinking they’re making shit up on punishments as they go along here. I thought it was 50/100/life, with no room to maneuver. Wrong, I guess. You’re probably right that Braun agreed to take the 65 now, and not appeal a 100 gamer that he’ll lose, and save 35/162 million of his salary next year. He’s only getting $8.5M this year, $10M next, so he’ll save around $3 million by taking his lumps now. What a guy…

• xoot said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

mlb knows exactly what it’s doing. this thing is well engineered. They started with the lawsuit in Florida early this year after the Miami newspaper broke the Biogenesis story. mlb used subpoenas and coercion to get business records and witness cooperation, and they built their cases.

Section 7.F of the Joint Drug Agreement says that “A player who participates in the sale or distribution of a Prohibited Substance shall be subject to the following discipline: 1. First offense; At least an 80-game but not more than a 100-game suspension, if the Prohibited Substance is a Performance Enhancing Subbstance [or between 60 and 90 if its just a stimulant, etc.]”

But here’s the catch-all provision: Section 2 of the Agreement, before defining “Prohibited Substances,” begins “All Players whall be prohibited from using, possessing, selling, facilitating the sale of, distributing, or facilitating the distribution of [Prohibited Substances].” Then Section 7.G.2 says, “A Player may be subjected to disciplinary action for just cause by the Commissioner for any Player violation of Section 2 above [not more specifically defined elsewhere in the agreement].

So the Biogenesis evidence also gives good cause for discipline under Section 2, as the Commissioner sees fit.

Meanwhile, the union appears to be facilitating the settlements the players are negotiating with mlb.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Good info. Thanks. The tide looks to be turning in union membership on how to deal with this stuff. In the Fehr days, it was fight everything tooth and nail…

30. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Amazing how these guys are like cons. Nobody in jail ever did anything, it’s all a mistake. Jump up and down — it’s a frame job. The truth will come out. When it does, they say “I made a mistake, sorry if I disappointed anybody (except my banker and agent); now I’m moving on”…

31. eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm

So how is the Melk man doing? Will braun be able to play without PEDs?

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

.278 / 3 / 29 so far for Melky.
      About what we expected from the de-juiced Melky. Who knows what Toronto was thinking when they gave him that contract.

32. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Maybe MLB just solved our LFer problem for next year.
    Murph can take that Bonds barcalounger out of mothballs…

33. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

This is what I mean by, “Whenever anyone takes responsibility for being wrong, without excuse or equivocation, then that’s a stand up person. Too many people say β€œsorry” or some other type of β€œyeah but,” which has too much wriggle room in my opinion . . . Flannery does a lot of good to not be allowed an occasional β€œoh shit.”

As snarkk pointed out, Braun equals “dirtbag” for not even taking responsibility last year, while also throwing the FedEx guy under the bus . . . Then fast forward to finally getting caught, he says his weasel apology, with numerous “yeah buts” and reminding us of his poor, poor family that has suffered. Fuck him and his family. Get rid of his ass permanently.

• Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Touche Blade…And take that “POS” Bud along with him.Since he once owned the Brewers I’m sure he helped get that weasel Braun off the hook last year..

34. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Here’s what Braun said on Feb 25th, 2012:
    “I truly believe in my heart and I would bet my life that this substance never entered my body at any point,”
    When someone can look you in the eye and say this there is probably nothing he wouldn’t lie about, nothing he wouldn’t say. I guess at least he didn’t say he’d “bet my mother’s life on it” or something like that.
    What a scum bag. And the people of MIlwaukee are so squeaky clean and gullible they believed the bullshit that came out of his mouth 2 Feb’s ago. I wonder what they think now?

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm

They’re pretty much bashing him on the Milwaukee Sentinel blog of the article. Lots say dump the guy. Quick, Sabes, strike while the fire is hot… πŸ˜‰

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:04 pm

well, they’re saying that NOW because Braun’s basically, finally, already admitted everything. But after he defiantly answered what he *believed in his heart* back in 2012, Brewers fans were totally supportive of him…….

• unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm

The fans won’t give a tinker’s damn once the season kicks off on April 6th 2014. . . .

The fans don;t care about this.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Well, shoot, now WE certainly cared that Bonds was doing the…
        OK, never mind…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm

totally disagree, they do care, especially in Milwaukee. And he conned them into supporting a liar back in Feb 2012–which they did. Plus he’s gone for the rest of the year. Ask yourself how we felt about Melky last Summer and then say the fans don’t care about this. He disgraced the franchise today…….

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

It’s different. Bonds never got suspended, he never abandoned his team with his carelessness. Bonds never came up with absurd stories to explain the truth (Melky). There is a way to deny something and then there’s a way to fuck that up completely and ruin the trust your fans put in you after your steadfast denials (Braun). I’m telling you guys, especially for the squeaky clean Brewer fans, this is a BIG deal to them…..

• unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Time heals all wounds. They may feel betrayed now, but more of this ‘Gosh, I’m SO sorry I let you all down’ and all that bullshit, they’ll forgive and move on. That’s how the midwest rolls.

35. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm

that’s a huge haul for the Cubs– Olt was their #1 prospect and 19th ranked overall. Plus Grimm and Edwards? And Garza is a rental! Sabes is gonna have nothing to do with this shit, even if he wanted to get involved in it……

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Yep. Too expensive. Even if we had the minor leaguers to trade, which we don’t…

36. snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Texas has been a damn good club for half a decade, two trips to the WS the last three years, well in contention again this year, but down below us a spot or two on the MLB team top revenue list — how is it that THEY have surplus, really good minor leaguers to trade for need, and WE don’t?…

37. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm

LOVED Brett Pill’s tweet:
    “How about apologizing to all the minor leaguers who are trying to make it on PB&J’s? #cheatersprosper”
    Coming from him, that tweet is heavy duty…….

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Nice…

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Wow! Flav, thanks for sharing that. Out of all the sanctimonious bullshit I’ve heard from Braun, other players, and especially, ESFUCKINGPN – Pill just hit it out of the proverbial park. He has quite a sack for saying what I bet a lot of minor leaguers are also thinking, but are afraid to say. I applaud him.

38. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm

And I don’t remember all those times he claims he said he “wasn’t perfect”. Did he talk about not being perfect back on Feb 25th 2012? Hmmmm, probably not since that might have distracted people from the huge lie he was selling to the fans in Milwaukee. When exactly did Braun talk about not being perfect over and over (as he claimed today in his attorney-written statement)

39. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

You can bank on the fact that Braun stays with the Brewers. He’ll be contrite as hell. Blah blah blah.

Wonder how Aaron Rogers feels about this?

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Good call, Chuck. Rogers was offended people were ripping on Braun like some brother protecting his own. I think they have business deal(s) together. Oops…

• Nipper said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Braun makes a good coffee brewer.

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I have always enjoyed the Braun coffee brewer, it’s a real big hit at our house.

40. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Dennis Farina, the cop-turned-actor has died. He was 69. Great actor (loved him in Get Shorty and Midnight Run). RIP Dennis.

41. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm

and how about an apology to the fed-ex worker? Where’s that statement? And did Melky ever get around to apologizing to Baggs for calling him a liar after he busted him cold 3 weeks before he actually got suspended by MLB?
    the statements that these liars put out to the public are a blatant attack on of our collective common sense and the true opinion these jackasses have of their fans……

42. Irish Kevin said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Until baseball release the testing to a private company testing for illegal substances willl remain a joke to the fans that watch this crap unfold. and I agree with Chuck, 1yr suspension and then the 2nd infraction give that life time ban. Basically Baseball is telling Pete Rose, Gambling is worst than taking illegal substance.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

well, I think gambling on your team is worse than taking illegal substances. Baseball players have been taking illegal substances since the modern era began. It is what it is. Pete Rose bet on games he was involved in. That is far, FAR worse than popping a few greenies (unless you think half the players are betting on games they’re involved in and if you do, I agree with you that gambling is worse than taking PED’s)……

43. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Puig July stats check:
    59 at bats. 21 k’s. 3 walks. .254 batting average. Plus, several base running blunders……

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Shades of Tanaka. πŸ™‚

44. salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

They all lie until proven guilty.

• salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Cops pols athletes teachers Joe next door caught having sex with a.minor….lie and hire the best damn defense you can afford.

• salty said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:18 pm

And only then do we get the carefully PR crafted apology or full hour with Oprah.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm

to me, it’s all in how you respond to all of this. I’ve accepted that pro athletes take PED’s. It’s part of the culture. Don’t get caught, I don’t give a shit. But when you are so spectacularly bad as Melky and Braun were at concealing their use, that type of stupidity deserves the ire and resentment of their fans.
      And please, don’t anyone turn this into a “would you teach your kid to lie” debate. It has nothing to do with that. PED use is pervasive in professional sports, it’s not up to me to be the judge on the guys who chose to take them and as a fan I’m fine with them gaining an edge the same way Aaron did with his greenies or Gaylord Perry did with his spit ball or whatever……
      Just don’t get caught and come up with hilariously stupid, blatant lies and then get suspended and then head off to a 50 game vacation while your team and its fans are pouring their heart and soul into the season that you just got kicked out of…..

45. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Ahhh. Dennis Farina was cool. He was doing those Xfinity commercials recently.

46. Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm

So do you think Pill just fucked up his chances of being traded to Milwaukee? Ya gotta think brats are a step up from PB&Js and the Brewcrew could probably use a 1B/LFer at this point.

47. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm

pretty fantastic tweet by the pro baseball tweet guru, LoMo:
    Logan Morrison: “You know we’re clean. We haven’t scored a run in 37 innings.” #marlins #braun

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Hilarious.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm

hey, I got all those great pics you forwarded from your cuz–been super busy the last few days but I’ll kick ’em in the Flap photo bucket soon.

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Yeah, I knew you were on the road, etc., so no biggie Flav. His daughter did well in the softball tournament, but the team won one game and lost two (eliminated). The Lincecum no no was a big surprise for the entire softball team and everyone was excited to see Tim and the Giants make history. Shit, I would give my right nut to see a no no at the Flapalooza game in September . . . umm, maybe not. πŸ˜‰

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

save your nut(s), there’s the same chance you see one whether you bet one (them) or not. Looking forward to seeing you then

48. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 7m
    BREAKING: Giants coaches Righetti, Hayes attended Brian Wilson’s mound session. This could be a game changer. Story:

49. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 38m
    Bochy says Surkamp in Game 1 tomorrow. Zito in Game 2.

50. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Here’s the single thing this POS apologized for:
    “Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed”
    Notice how he doesn’t apologize for anything he did? It’s all such a bunch of semantic bullshit. Does the fed-ex guy have a twitter account? I’d love to read what he has to say about all of this……

51. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2013 at 5:46 pm

As I have acknowledged in the past, and as my predictions show, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to Zeke and Mickey, as well. I am very grateful for the support I have received from customers, bloggers, and most of the neighbors (Get over it, Winnie). Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – and they are legion. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, my recipe for the batter for perfect pan fried chicken should have read TWO TEASPOONS black pepper, not two CUPS…now please, can it with the hate mail, it was an honest mistake…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 6:20 pm

epic. #41.

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I almost lost my cookies, because I thought at first – this was baseball related and I can’t ever recall you being wrong. Fortunately, I read your post to the end and saw this was in regard to your culinary skills. πŸ˜‰

52. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Announcers doing the Rockies game are condemning Braun and Melky, calling them idiots. Also, both announcers want to know why Melky was “rewarded” with the outrageous contract he received from the Blue Jays. Last, but not least, one of the announcers said that outfielder Michael Cuddyer wants a “two strike” penalty, where on the 2nd violation, you are out of baseball permanently. I’m down with everything they said.

53. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 6:54 pm

in response to someone questioning his about the strength of his belief in Braun back in Feb 2012, Aaron Rodgers issued this interesting tweet:
    Aaron Rodgers βœ” @AaronRodgers12

@toddsutton ya I’d put my salary next year on it.

The fantastic awesome news for AR about this bet is that Rodgers has already collected so he probably doesn’t have to pay up. πŸ™‚

• Chico said, on July 23, 2013 at 3:07 am

As a Cal fan, he should have kept his mouth shut.. Embarrassing to say the least. The he followed it up with more tweets! Facepalm.

54. Macdog said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Jeff Passan tweet: “One person broke down Ryan Braun’s 65-game suspension thusly: 50 games for violating the Joint Drug Agreement and ‘a 15-game asshole tax.’ “

• blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

good one.

55. xoot said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Looks like Lincecum has to do everything himself tonight.

56. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Tough inning– surprised OF was playing so shallow. I thought he threw too much dukey shit but in the end, he finished off the inning

57. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

His location blew on both those beat pitches but goddamn he gut bested by 2 below average hitters….

58. Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Since we have a chance to rip Milwaukee, I’m for checking the “Nitrate” levels of the Weenie race runners…
    Love the event, those guys never hot- dog it to the finish line.
    Brats& Sausage races a tradition in Milwaukee…
    Like the Nude Relays we used to run a long time ago at San Carlos High. …

Lots of Alcohol & Drugs were consumed before these races to get your courage up for the 4 man sometime women relays races at undisclosed locations to keep the cops and Sheriff helicopters guessing all -other night.Hilarious fun times on Nude Relays Night.

59. Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm

They’re letting all his dukey shit go by and they’re blasting the FB out of the park….

60. Macdog said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Might as well post another tweet. This from Brandon McCarthy: “I realize now…” and right there I checked out.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, the “I realize now” was about as condescending and intelligence-insulting as it gets.

61. xoot said, on July 22, 2013 at 7:56 pm

My kid’s asking me to calm down. I guess I should. If Blanco and Sandoval had made the first two plays of the game, Lincecum would be cruising now. Instead, he went off with his FB. In the no hitter he let the FB fly up some, but otherwise he generally kept it, and everything else, down. Tonight he’s grooved it at least three times. So now that I think about it, fuck calming down. I’m pissed off. Half the time this team hits the field this year like it’s already over. Fuck this half assed effort.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I’m with you. I’m not sure if he just got stuck in bad counts and had to throw the FB (and he was stuck in bad counts with dookie shit the hitters let fly idly by) but the FB’s that got hit were a joke………….

62. zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hey, let’s play two tomorrow! πŸ™‚

• xoot said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Did anyone have a better approach than Mr. Banks? Maybe I’ll calm down now.

• Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Yeah that’s what the Reds or thinking.
      Lets take an easy 2 tomorrow against Surkamp & Zito.

63. Alleykat said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm

3 Bombs off Timmeh!!
    Lots of BP work tonight.
    No swing and misses tonight for Timmy, just squared up and hit hard tonight.Yikes

64. Bozo said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:14 pm

It’s one thing to get beat, quite another to continually lose by getting your ass kicked. Fuck long ball, fuck small ball, time for a little dirty ball. Hit em, cleat em, firehose their locker room, shoot em in the ass with a PED concoction that gives em droopy butt. Hell, go for the gusto, get Dick Cheney, tell him the opposing team is his best friend and give him a loaded shotgun. OK, OK. The firehose might be a bit much.

65. eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Now is the golden opportunity for the offense.

66. zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Tough gig: K&K having to promote Timmy no-hitter t-shirts tonight.

67. eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm

It is hard to type with my eyes tearing up after Twinfan’s poignant apology.

Or is it the two cups of pepper?

68. eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Does getting your 90mph FB up mean your arm is tired. I thought Posey was painting a fence the way his glove moved from down for the target to up where the ball would have been.

69. zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:18 pm

How about naming the royal kid. I’m betting on Poindexter Horatio Windsor.

70. eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm

How about: “The Royal formally known as Prince”?
    (insert symbol here)

71. xoot said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Royal names? Elvis. Elvis Windsor.

72. eddacker said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm

there is a plan B to inspire – Kontos

73. zumiee said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:25 pm

It’s been interesting watching the Reds batting practice; when does the game start?

74. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2013 at 8:31 pm