A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

When Fortuna is Spinning in the Wrong Direction

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 28, 2013

In Greek mythology, Fortuna was the goddess of luck and fortune. She might bring good luck or bad luck to you.  The only reason I know anything about Fortuna is because of a dude I knew at the race track back in the day. He would babble on constantly about Fortuna. EVERYTHING was about Fortuna.  If he was winning he’d be bounding around the track saying “Fortuna spinneth up!” and if he was losing he would dejectedly wander around the track mumbling “Fortuna spinneth down…” His name was Scott, and he was entertaining as hell…..

Here’s what she looks like according to eBay:

fortuna2

After Abreu hit into that double play to end the game last night there was a tv shot of Bochy staring at the field. He kept staring and staring as if he couldn’t believe what he was seeing, like none of this was real. And at that moment I was reminded of my old buddy Scott and his belief in *Fortuna*. If he were sitting next to Bochy on the bench he could have turned to him and glumly explained, “Bruce, Fortuna spinneth down…..”

And Scott would be right. Fortuna neatly packages up an explanation for our 2 world series wins as well as what has happened in this horrible year. So I’m going to stop trying to figure all of this out. I’m going to stop *staring*. It’s not doing any good. But I will slowly clasp my hands together, turn to the goddess and respectfully request a return to the upward spin of our Fortuna. And I recommend that all of you do the same……

Here is the pic that MacDog took YESTERDAY before I had even thought of today’s thread. That’s beyond trippy….

wreckoffortuna

1. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 7:50 am

Is this the bitch that is replacing Anna? It can’t come soon enough. 😉

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:01 am

Whoops! You said respectfully . . . Is this the lady that is replacing Anna?

2. denniszu said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:23 am

Flav, like Bochy, I/we were all in a staring trance. Even with the loaded bases in the 9th, my gut was expecting the worst…Didn’t need a crystal ball…. Guess their at rock bottom…
    Time for them to gain a little more respect….

3. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:57 am

I was tired (from trying to sell books at two events yesterday; sold none at downtown arts and crafts fair; sold 8 TIPP HILL LITANIES in two days at neighborhood Ukrainian feast). I did not watch or follow online past some point in the middle of the game, after we had at least gotten a hit. It wasn’t just tiredness. I just wasn’t up for it, preferring instead to be with Zumie and his wife at the Jackson Browne/Joan Baez/Emmylou Harris concert. I awoke to go to the bathroom sometime after midnight, maybe 1 a.m.-ish. I gave in and opened my laptop. 1-0 loss. I see Romo lost. I see run in the 9th. I look further. Oops. HR by Schierholtz. Well, good for him. Close laptop. Go back to sleep.

Good meditation on Fortuna, Magnus. Has your research yielded what sacrifices she demands? We have two cats I am not too fond of. One of them we call Piss-Cat (Nicky), for his propensity to mark corners and household items. He’d go to Fortuna first.

4. Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:59 am

Well, Fortuna is a city in Humboldt County, so I guess your saying we need to put the bottle down, and pass the herb? Well Timmy is pitching today, right?

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I was in Fortuna a week ago Friday (we were competing with the dogs in Ferndale) to get a regulator for the propane bottle on our camper. Stopped at the Eel River Brewery for dinner and a couple of IPAs…

• Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Before I moved to SF (which was before I moved back east), I lived a bit north of Fortuna in Arcata. What happens behind the redwood curtains my man.stays behind the redwood curtain.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

After living in a gambling town and having done my fair share I think there is such a thing as luck or Fortuna if you prefer. I have often thought it has more to do with your state of mind, thoughts and visualization. That said I don’t think the Giants are losing due to frowns from up above. The club sucks schweaty balls right now and noone seems to have any emotion at all. Watching Bochy stare in disbelief last night I noticed the dugout behind him. Just a bunch of dudes milling around picking up their stuff. Not a care in the world it seemed. I’m bummed on this season but I’ll be wearing my black cap with the orange bill today nonetheless.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:21 am

I submit, only an insider can tell us about the mood. By that I mean: if the whole dugout stared out at the field in disbelief, you might hear: “They all just stared. They have given up.” On the other hand, for players to go about their workmanlike, routine postgame tasks might say: “It’s rough, but it’s one game. Let’s shower, boys. Don’t mope.” I simply don’t know.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 28, 2013 at 7:13 pm

True. Just my perception. Hey, I read your book World Serious. I enjoyed it. Thanks for mentioning me and my pops.

6. Alleykat said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:18 am

After Boch came right out and said..”This is not who we are”
    We have won in the past with good pitching and solid defense.
    And I will get this back in their heads about defense if we only have ground ball practice instead of batting practice before games!!

So much for the speech….2 more errors last night, and now the most in the major leagues at 76 for the bad news bears.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:25 am

I actually thought the speech was bound to make defense WORSE because now they are thinking about it more and not acting naturally. I just read an article in the NY Times about this sort of thing regarding experts in sports and arts. My ballet dancer pointed it out to me. (In fact, it was written by a former ballet dancer turned philosopher/author.) The article was about “just do it” without “thinking” versus focus and intention. (I can find a link.)

• twinfan1 said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

Well, that’s the ole “Don’t Fumble” chestnut wherein the fumbler is exhorted to not repeat his sin, thereby insuring that he will…I don’t buy it because we know that the scum sucking derelict is thinking about it whether he’s reminded or not. I have obtained a secret audio recording of Kyle Williams as the second punt descended. I had to have a CSI team enchance the sound, and it’s clear that he’s muttering: ” Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble Don’t fumble…”

• twinfan1 said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

In a similar vein, this summer Harbaugh is experimenting with using a ” No Hands” unit in onsides kick drills…

7. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:20 am

Well, we’re still defending champs. I’m hanging on to that until the playoffs start, and I won’t care anymore. And football season will be in full swing.

8. twinfan1 said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:25 am

Downtrodden people don’t rebel but it’s not from lack of caring. Have a nice day, Flappers. If you’re jumping, don’t make a mess on the sidewalk, it’s rude.

9. Nipper said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

Day Baseball! Giants are bound to win sooner or later. They’re bound to score a few runs sooner or later.

10. Alleykat said, on July 28, 2013 at 10:22 am

Right now im like Sylvester Stallone in”Cliffhanger”
    Just barely hanging on with one arm dangling from the cliff wall.

11. Macdog said, on July 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

This is some weird coincidence. Yesterday on Long Beach Island in NJ, I was on my way to a fishing tournament when I passed a huge anchor with a banner “Wreck of the Fortuna.” It’s from a 1910 shipwreck, and I took a picture of it mainly for a friend of mine (a Mets fan) whose last name is Fortuna. But now in this thread’s context , “Wreck of the Fortuna” takes on a whole different meaning.

As for last night’s game, I followed it through the phone before the battery mercifully went dead with the bases loaded in the 8th.

12. Macdog said, on July 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

Soriano just hit one out for the Yanks. I wonder if Nate got his new hunched-over look at the plate from Soriano.

13. twinfan1 said, on July 28, 2013 at 11:34 am

Why mess with success?

1. Andres Torres (S) CF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) C

4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Jeff Francoeur (R) LF

7. Joaquin Arias (R) SS

8. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

• snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

So, will this lineup play good defense today? If I’m Tim, I can hope for that, since it’s rare he gets it. For scoring or an early lead, it might be a safer bet to play PowerBall…

14. xoot said, on July 28, 2013 at 11:39 am

Tyche, or Fortuna to the Romans, had a companion fate, Nemesis, who apparently was responsible for the downturns. I think we’re seeing Nemesis in action this year.

Sorry to get all technical, but, due to the role it has played in my life, I’ve actually investigated luck fairly closely. There’s a well-known old-school philosopher, Nicholas Rescher, who published a book entitled Luck. Strangely, almost eerily dry and matter-of-fact, he dissects the thing thoroughly. Of course, he’s wrong, in the end–if you really believe in luck. Anyway, fortune and nemesis are fates, and luck is something else altogether. It trumps fate, occassionally. But Fortune and Nemesis are easier to fantasize about.

Personally, I’m intrigued by the Curse of the Dawg. The KNBR morning time comedians point out that the Giants season started its descent into the tank right after The Dawg got ejected from a night game for interferiing with a fly ball in LF. Not only was he kicked out that night; the Giants prohibited him from sitting in his seat in the LF bleachers or hanging out at the rail over there. The Giants have been losing more than winning ever since.

The simple-minded KNBR guys, of course, think that dissing The Dawg kick-started Nemesis. I believe otherwise. I believe that The Dawg himself triggered this disastrous season when he reached over the rail to get his glove on that fair ball. In that stupid Bartman-like instant he embodied the mindless hubris of Giants fans, especially bandwagon fans, who had become too full of themselves. Understand, however, that The Dawg–apparently a decent guy who works as a landscaper out in the CoCo County area–is not really to blame. The gods simply chose him to teach a lesson we may never fully comprehend.

• snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I believe in cycles. In life, in love, in business, in the universe. Cicadas, Halley’s Comet, the wax and wane of the Moon. Not everything is chaos. Maybe that’s just Dame Fortune and Nemesis, as they go back in forth in infinite conflict. The Giants had a long cycle of no championships in SF. Then, a short cycle of winning 2. This year is a down part of the cycle. We can’t know if the old cycle has been changed, like an asteroid whose trajectory has been perturbed by the gravity of a larger body, to shorten the cycle towards the next WS win…

• xoot said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I like one of the ways Borges resolved chaos and order. It’s along these lines. A man decides to paint haphazardly a mural depicting everything he knows about the world, from birds to bombs, etc., in minute, crowded detail. Finished, he moves back to view it overall and sees that he has painted a portrait of himself.

15. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Francouer hitting 6th is as good an explanation for this situation as any. Seriously? A guy nobody even thought about 3 weeks ago, especially the Royals, now hitting 6th for the Giants. That says plenty about where this team is from an offensive standpoint, and the giant hole in the farm system…

16. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I heard Sabes say on radio Thursday afternoon something to the effect that he knew going into this season that if they had injury in the OF, they were thin out there and would be in trouble. Then, why the hell didn’t he do something about it in the offseason or ST? I see this season as organizational failure. After great success, everybody’s asleep at the wheel. Players, coaches, the front office. When Bochy says that “this is not who we are”, I say bullshit, that’s for outside the clubhouse consumption. He knows better. You ARE what your record says you are in baseball when you’re 4 months into the season. 2 1/2 months of being the worst team in MLB is no accident — the dropped flies, the missed liners, the bumbled grounders, idiotic baserunning, the utter lack of power and extra base hits, getting nobody home with bases loaded and nobody or one out in two consecutive innnings (last night) — all witness that. To say otherwise is absurd. It’s time to stop saying absurd things, and work on fixing the absurdities…

• eddacker said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I would agree. I saw bruce with a blank expression during a game, like he did not have a clue. that for me was indicative of an organisational failure. From the top down.

17. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Chi, I’m not certain that you are still around . . . Anywho, I removed the Facebook posts – I didn’t want to start WWII. Danny is a good childhood friend and we both pull each other’s chain regarding our preferences for different SF bay area sports teams. He went to the “Dark side” a long time ago, where his teams are the Raiders and A’s; despite the spankings my teams have given his and the indignities they have suffered, e.g., outhouse stadium located in Oakland, senile Raiders ownership, cheap ass A’s ownership, Finley, et. al., etc., etc..

18. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Flemm said something interesting just a few minutes ago. Today could possibly be the last start Timmeh ever makes in a Giants uni. Do I expect that? No. I think they do not trade him. But, if they get a good offer better than the crapshoot of a compensatory pick, I say pull the trigger. And, it pains me to say that. But, after he got the No-No, I can let him go, and I’d rather we get something near-term useful for his leaving. Regardless of what he does for the Giants from now on, and wherever he goes to play, Timmeh will forever be one of my favorite all-time Giants. He was a huge, unique and critical part of breaking that cycle of no championships. He brought a WOW! factor to this team that was incredible. I will be forever grateful for those rare memories…

19. Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm

just added MacDog’s pic (thanks for sending it). that’s amazing to me.

20. imyomamma2 said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Never have I read anything that meant as much to me as this blog today! I have been saying/tweeting over and over that there is something eerily strange going on with my team-something “un-natural” “super-natural” that the plays the Cubs made weren’t even “humanly possible” but for some reason they were being made!
    As usual nobody seemed to get it and not one person commented one way or the other. I’m used to this because I believe in everything & most do not.
    Thank you for confirming my feelings and I too will stop looking for a reason, I believe you answered the question~:)

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Glad you appreciated it. Rock on

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I think we might follow each other on Twitter. Fortuna, another name for Fate.

21. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Flav, it takes awhile to figure out which “Xs” to click on, with regard to accessing the video feed on Vip, but I usually get it after a few times. Much easier when Kos is showing the game.

22. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm

This may be a long day. Lincecum throwing 32 pitches in the 1st is a big red flag.

23. willedav said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Sure, luck and bounces make a difference, but so does focus concentration and prep. I think it’s a great idea to take IF practice, just for those reasons. To be the worst fielding team with this group to me is more mental than anything else–go back and re-inforce the basics and get more reps.
    Similarly, I read interesting comments from Dusty B on the game thread yesterday cbs site. Bruce homered off txhe dodgers’ lefty Ryu, and he has most bombs of any LH vs. LHP last couple years. Baker said most guys don’t get enough ABs against them, and he makes sure they bring a LHP to throw BP to the lefties.
    Glad to see Belt in there today, and assuming Crawford stays the reg SS, he’s gonna have to learn how to deal with them too, just like anyone else.

24. zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Here’s my review of the benefit concert in San Jose. It was a terrific evening. I wrote this review for some friends of mine who are Emmylou Harris fans, so the review is a bit Emmylou-centric. This is for Pawlie and anyone else interested.

The San Jose Civic Auditorium holds about 3,000 people, and the place was sold
    out for the benefit concert.
    There was a brief opening statement by one of the event organizers, and a short
    video about the great work being done by the Street Teams organization, a group
    that helps homeless people get back on their feet, get jobs, and into someplace
    to live.
    The stage was set up with all the performers together for the show. Joan was in
    the middle, seated, with Emmylou seated to her right, and Jackson seated to her
    left. To Jackson’s left was a musician, Dirk “somebody” who played a variety of
    instruments throughout the evening: violin, mandolin, accordian, banjo, and
    bass. There was a percussionist to Emmylou’s right. I didn’t catch his name.
    They opened with a beautiful song that was new to me (I think.) Maybe one of
    Joan’s songs. I can’t remember the lyrics. It sounded great, the three of them
    harmonizing, and very cool given how little time they had available to rehearse
    before the event.
    Then they pretty much rotated in song circle fashion, each of them ending up
    doing 5 or 6 songs total, with the others contributing an occasional harmony,
    with Dirk and the percussionist contributing, throughout. Jackson played some of
    his songs on guitar, and others on an electric keyboard.
    It was cool getting a rare opportunity to hear Emmylou as the only guitarist on
    her songs. As we all know, she’s sneaky-good on guitar. Her guitar playing is
    subtle and beautiful. She featured mostly songs that highlight her use of
    open-string tunings, and can be said to be her own most distinctive guitar
    style.
    She performed:
    Songbird
    Michelangelo
    Home Sweet Home
    Emmett Till
    The Road
    The audience response was great to all of them.
    Emmylou was dressed kind of rock and roll. Black jeans (I think) and black
    boots, with a sleeveless black blouse, and was wearing a long silver necklace
    down almost to her naval with a cross on the end of it. And she was wearing big
    black and silver bracelets. Her hair was worn kind of straight and long. At one
    point, during a country-rockish song from Jackson, she stood up and did a
    country step-dance of some kind which the audience totally dug.
    Later on Joan did a Spanish-style dance to one of Jackson’s songs that had a
    Spanish musical style to it, which the audience loved, too, of course.
    Joan also sang Woody Guthrie’s “Deportee,” with Jackson and Emmylou also singing
    a verse each. Joan still plays excellent guitar. She also sang “Swing Low, Sweet
    Chariot,” and Steve Earle’s “God is God,” and her “Diamonds and Rust,” and a
    couple of others that I can’t remember at the moment.
    Jackson didn’t do any of his big Top 40 hits, but it didn’t matter. The audience
    was pleased anyway. He sang a Levon Helm song that I can’t remember, and a
    Warren Zevon song I can’t remember. He sang a song that was about his time
    growing up in L.A. called something about Avenues. He also did his song about
    “The Deluge” and one or two others I can’t remember at the moment. All three
    performers were sounding great, and had the audience hanging on every note. The
    biggest response of the night was to Joan’s “Sweet Chariot,” which got a long
    standing ovation. The audience clearly had lots of Joan fans there, maybe more
    so than Emmylou or Jackson fans.
    They performed two encore numbers. The first encore was a long audience
    singalong version of “Guantanamera.” They left the stage after a big standing
    ovation from the audience, and then came out for one more- Paul Simon’s “The
    Boxer,” the only song during the night when they flubbed a few times, but no one
    in the building cared. The audience sang along heartily on the chorus, and as
    the saying goes, a great time was had by all.
    Emmylou joked “Hey, let’s take this on the road,” and Jackson said: “I just came
    off the road!” All three performers laughed. They know the road well!
    Throughout the evening they often lightened the mood between some of the heavier
    songs by cracking a few jokes at each other. The good feeling and friendship and
    respect between the three was evident throughout the evening. At one point,
    Emmylou talked about what a huge influence Joan was on her choosing a career in
    music.
    All three seemed thrilled to be helping the Street Teams program, and a lot of
    money was raised for the organization.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

That’s awesome Zumiee!

Several years ago the wife won a trip for two to Red Rocks in Denver to see Jackson Browne, Steve Earle, and Keb Mo…After making the long hike up, what seemed like ten million steps, we made our way to our seats…Before the first set began, a majestic thunderStorm took hold and they unfortunately announced that the concert had been canceled….By the time we made it back to our car ( a convertible thunderbird rental) we were drenched…We ended up driving back to downtown Denver where we settled into a cozy pub and dried off with a couple bottles of wine…Best concert we never saw!

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:03 pm

🙂

25. zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Excellent post, BF. The mix of angst and humor is terrific. It reminds us that we Giants fans need to keep our senses of humor in these trying times. 🙂

26. xoot said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Lincecum with the first hit of the game for the Giants? These cosmic jokes just keep on coming in.

27. Macdog said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm

It’s nice to see the Giants get a hit before the 5th inning.

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Lincecum no less (as Xoot noted).

28. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Shit, the dreaded bases loaded situation. OMG!

29. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Figures. Pfffft!

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:15 pm

First pitch swinging again…

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Yeah, pathetic Flav.

30. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Nice play Panda!

31. chipower9 said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:35 pm

This shit is getting really old. Timmy might as well have put that ball on a tee. Fuck!

Fortuna…it is PAST TIME to Spinneth UP…

32. WilcoJoe said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I could swear the PA announcer that must be filling in for Renel, is the old PA guy from the 80’s and 90’s at The ‘Stick…Didn’t he get fired after allegations of child molestation?

• willedav said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:13 pm

not the same guy I don’t think. This guy did USF Dons games as I remember they said.
      The other guy was Jeff Carter, who I think did get into some difficulties that weren’t well publicized.

33. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:37 pm

My bad. Keep Tim. He’s 2 for 2, the only guy that can hit…

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

lol

34. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Timmy 2 for 2? If nothing else, he is rocketing up Bochy’s existing putrid list of pinch hitters.

35. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Uh oh. Bases loaded and nobody out again. That sucks… 🙂

36. Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This can’t happen again

37. Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Bases loaded, nobody out. Can’t wait for this one.

38. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

OH FUCK. Umm . . . the situation where all the bases . . . umm, are occupied. OH OH.

39. Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Unreal

40. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Man, this is friggin brutal. How many new ways can they F up a based loaded situation?…

41. Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Fortuna spinneth upwards

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Pence has left 8 guys on and the game is barely 1/2 over

42. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

HAHA . . . Even God isn’t that masochistically mean.

43. Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

We get a run, we get a run (after the double play).

44. chipower9 said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Wow…a fucking hit w/RISP. Fortuna spinneth up!

45. Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I know I should be excited about getting one run across, when we have the bases loaded and our heart of the order coming up. Strangely, I’m not.

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Yeah, it’s sort of like comparing masturbation to making love with a hot chick.

46. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Nice play by Torres.

47. chipower9 said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:02 pm

He has not done it often this year, but that was one sweet catch by Andres…

48. chipower9 said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm

And Fortuna Spinneth Down…

Really? The Giants are gonna get swept by the fucking Cubbies? I need a drink…make it a double…line up a couple of ’em…

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Wasting 3 fantastic pitching performances is the worst part of these losses (to me)

49. zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Frenchy is done. He’s not a major leaguer anymore. The Giants went dumpster-diving on that one, and it didn’t work out.

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Yep. That’s what I think (and said) too.

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

His “epic” hit was the one over the pitcher’s head the other day. 🙂

• willedav said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

definitely. If he has regained strength and health, I’d like to see Peguero.

• snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:05 pm

The Royals let him go. Royals. There’s no other way it could turn out…

50. xoot said, on July 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Krukow: “It might not be a bad thing to get an off day at this time.” Yeah. I’m sure a lot of fans think so. Give us a fucking break.

51. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I think even more now that Tim should be traded. You’re not going to get in a series three much better pitched games in terms of allowing runs by this staff — yet they lost every game. The starters did their jobs, and then some. You give up just six runs in a 3 game set, and get swept because your sorry ass offense gets just 3? That is insanely bad offense; and not a pitching problem. This offense needs to be shaken up, the OF is essentially worthless at the plate. Belt looks shell shocked. Pablo is heard from rarely. Posey is getting infected, too. Crazy way to go to the WHouse and celebrate…

52. zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:16 pm

It’ll be a big deal for a lot of the Giants to go to the White House and meet the president tomorrow. Some of them weren’t around for the 2011 trip, including Buster.

53. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Tim gave up 4 hits and 2 runs in 7 full. That is a quality start. The Cubs are an HR club, they are 2nd in the NL in HRs, so he’s not alone giving up an HR to them. Otherwise, he stumped them. He is now 5-11. Had he gotten any kind of run support and defense this year, he’d easily be 8-6 or something like that. He’s pitched far better than that record. It looks like he’s maybe figuring something out…

54. zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I had assumed that Comcast would be covering the visit to the White House, like they did in 2011, but now I’m not sure. I don’t see it listed on Comcast anywhere.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:13 pm

they are. AmyG said so.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I’m pouty toward her until I see her posting her interview with me.

55. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:33 pm

After this debacle of a homestand, I’m thinking Sabean may surprise us with a fire sale…

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I doubt a fire sale, but similar to what Schulman said the other day, I think Lopez and/or Affeldt will be gone. Schulman made good points about keeping Panda. Next year is his “walk” free agent year and it seems like his only real motivation is money. Consequently, Pablo should be in shape and ready to go. Timmy should only be offered a “qualifying offer” of $14 million – if he takes it, then he is doing so to increase his “brand” value. If he rejects it (stupid in my opinion), we still get a draft pick. Same deal with Pence . . . Either pay Pence what the going market rate is (my preference) or give him the same qualifying offer of $14 million – which he will reject, but we will get a draft pick.

56. Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:17 pm

If the Giants were my fantasy team I can guaranfuckingtee you that there would be a fire sale tonight. But it would be more like a firing squad with the drop button being the firearm…..

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Yeah, they look like MY wretched fantasy team.

57. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:49 pm

The pisser of all pissers is getting beat by such shitty teams like the Mets, the Marlins, and now the everloving motherfucking CUBS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 9:32 pm

If you’re a shitty team, shitty teams beat you…

58. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Xumie, thanks for your superb review, and wilcojoe’s note.

59. Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm

On the bright side, we did score a run with the bases jacked and nobody out. Mark my words that was the sign that all will be well. Yup, fly to DC, stop by Ben’s Chili Bowl and get a half smoke, press some flesh with the POTUS, drop Vogs off in Richmond, come on back and start the climb up the standings.

• Nipper said, on July 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Bozo looking up and a seagull releasing above. Splat! A direct hit!

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Well, Panda’s hit came after Posey hit into a DP so it wasn’t like no outs but I’m guessing you meant all recent “bases loaded no one out”.
      If I’m motivated tomorrow I’m going to look up all the results of the bases loaded at bats this series. I’m remembering them as all ground balls. Maybe one line drive.
      Not one of those impotent fuckers coulda hit a fly ball for a sac fly?
      Pathetic offense.

• Bozo said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

A couple of strike outs?

60. paulinasia said, on July 28, 2013 at 7:56 pm

One thing you’ll likely never see happen in SF: Papelbon’s quote-a-thon about the Phils needing a make-over from top to bottom. Oh, that’s going to be a fun clubhouse the rest of the way. I haven’t given much thought to the very near trade deadline, because it hadn’t been completely clear where the club would stand. Much clearer now, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. Something will happen. And.. like it or not.. it’s likely pretty exciting to be a Dodger fan right now. We’ve had our shot, and it’s been great, and it’ll come again.

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:28 pm

One way to look at it is- at least one of these two teams, the Dodgers or Cards, isn’t going to the World Series this year, and that’s a nice thought. And maybe the Braves eliminate them both, which is the best scenario, IMO. I don’t pull for the Pirates, because I think they’ll be one of those “We’re just happy to be here” teams in the playoffs. And the Reds I don’t care about one way or the other.
      In the AL, I’d be not unhappy to see the A’s make a run. I have several friends that are A’s fans, and they’ve been die-hard, and hung in there with the A’s. Or if the Tigers get the ring this year, no big deal to me.
      But if it’s, say, the Dodgers or Cards vs. the Red Sox in the World Series, I’ll be watching none of it.
      It’s easy for me to pick a surrogate team to root for in the playoffs- my wife’s favorite team, the Braves.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I agree with you on the Dodgers and Cards. I loath them both so Atlanta would be easy to root for. Plus, the Braves have melted down in so many different spectacular ways over the course of history– their fans expect Fortuna to always spin down at the worst possible time. They’ve lived it. They know Fortuna.
        I could back a Braves run this year, easily

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Well said.
        The first thing my wife said when she saw the news on Hudson’s season-ending injury was:
        “And so it begins.”

61. snarkk said, on July 28, 2013 at 10:42 pm

If not the Giants, I don’t care much who the NL rep is in the WS, as long as it’s not the Doghairs. The Pirates haven’t been there in a long while, so I wouldn’t mind seeing that. Atlanta’s fans don’t seem to give an S about their squad much, even when they’re good, so I’m ambivalent about them being in it. The Reds are a historical organization, I wouldn’t mind seeing them in it, and Dusty get a ring…

62. Scott said, on July 29, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thank for the mention Smalls. Read Confederacy of Dunces if you wish to delve deeper into the “Wheel of Fortuna”, plus you will laugh your ass off. Funniest book I have ever read!