A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Going From Contending to Evaluating

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 1, 2013

Make no mistake about it, this season is over. Ha, sorry I have to break the bad news. The pitching has been suspect all year and the hitting has been atrocious for going into 3 months now. That’s not a “bad rut” as Bochy put it the other day. That’s your season.

I’m still watching all the games, rooting as hard as ever. I don’t think I’m taking the losses as hard because I’ve come to accept our fate this season. It took me a while, but I’ve accepted it. The other thing I’m going to do from here on out is evaluate the players we have. It’s a little difficult to do when the pressure of winning is off—when you’re not actually IN a divisional race, it’s an unknown how you would play if you were contending. But, a lot of these guys are still playing for jobs and contracts (some are even playing for pride) so there’s sufficient enough pressure put on these players on a daily basis to feel confident that their production can be judged one way or the other.

For all those reasons, I am 100% behind watching as many Brett Pill and Roger Kieschnick at bats as I can stomach. Not sure how many that’s gonna be. But this team needs more offense and better pitching. We’ve seen what the pitching looks like from AAA–it ain’t ready. And that’s a kind way to put it.

What we haven’t seen is how the hitting from AAA will do up here. And I’m not talking about the spot starts that Pill got over the last couple of years or the cup of coffee pine-riding that Peguero was given. I’m talking about sending them out there to play 4 out of 5 days for the rest of the year and see what happens. Unfortunately for Belt, he’s going to lose a lot of playing time since 1B is the only position I’d let Pill play.

Brandon Belt has had his shot, both this year and last year. He might turn out to be a productive player down the road and it could be for someone else. We’ll see. But he is not helping the team win this year. People point to his OPS but the fact is, his OPS isn’t that good. Compared to other first basemen in the league, he’s near the bottom.  And his strikeout rate is awful. If you’re going to strike out 23.8% of the time you better be bringing the thunder with your non-strike out at bats. For instance, Chris Davis strikes out 29% of the time. But he’s also blasted 38 bombs. Belt’s strikeout rate leads the team by a mile and it’s time for him to sit. Nice job with all your walks, but again, if you’re walking and striking out all the time you had better fill up the stat line somewhere else with the other 2/3 of your at bats. And Belt has failed to do that this year.

1. Alleykat said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:35 pm

David Green and we cant ever forget AJ Jerkoff!!!
    You know what im gonna take Tomko off my list.
    He was the one i believe who told AJ to “Stick it where the sun don’t shine” after Tomko wanted to talk to him about hitters in the game he was starting while Jerkoff just wanted to play cards.Think they went to blows over that?

• sandog said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I second removing Tomko from the list. David Green was a young-ish player (I want to say) when we got him, but he flamed out like a Mexican bottle rocket, so I’m going to allow him in. Pierzynski belongs on his own list. Funny thing, the guy drove in like 80 runs for us that one season, but was such a jerk that there wasn’t even a second thought about cutting his card-playing ass.

• Alleykat said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm

The thing is SanDawg,the Giants thought David Green was young too.
        Not the case,he was like 3 years older then his actual age(geez heard that one a few times) when the Cards suckered us out of.Jack “TheRipper” Clark!!!!
        Atleast we got some good mileage out of the “Throwin” José Uribe who turned out to be a “Good Giant” rest his soul..

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Cat- I remember listening to an Al Rosen interview with my brother when David Green was still on the team. Rosen kept referring to David Green in the past tense–as if he wasn’t on the team anymore. I don’t think that was a mistake. It wasn’t long before he was gone. My bro and I got a huge kick out of that-cuz we were done with David Green ourselves.
        Al Rosen was a total bad ass and in my opinion one of the key figures in the resurgence of the SFG franchise.

2. Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I’m still trying to figure out wtf this list is, lol.
    I was looking at it like stud hasbeen’s who cobbled together something at the end of their career to be productive as a Giant before they basically rode off into the sunset.
    Am I missing something? And I haven’t looked up a single stat tonight, just rolling from memory.

• sandog said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Yeah, I think we weren’t quite all playing the same game, but it was a pretty damn fun trip down memory lane. I think you got it now—one time solid to stud player that the Giants brought in at the tail end of his career. Player then gave the Giants little or nothing in terms of production. That’s the list I was going for.
      Joe Carter, Eric Davis, Steve Carlton, Goose Gossage are perfect examples.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm

the The Big Cat was my best one…….

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Yes, that was a direct hit. How many bombs would you say he hit in a Giant uni? Double figures?

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm

12 dingers in 272 AB’s. Not bad at ATT.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm

and they were MONSTER bombs. He came the closest ever to hitting the glove…….

3. SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I must confess I did look up AJ’s RBI’s, but that was after I made my post just to satisfy my curiosity. Oh yeah, I also checked to see when Ken Oberkfell played for us—after my post.
    …and by the way, I’m damn disappointed my Oberkfell post didn’t draw any comments.
    I thought that was fucking gold.

• snarkk said, on August 2, 2013 at 12:58 am

I liked it. Ex Cardinal, I believe. And, without going to Wiki. Dangerous, that…

4. Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:05 pm

“Raymond Difley
    Sergio Romo with his tribute save to BWeezy…vintage Rod Beck too”

facebook post up above from Ray, a dude who used to always post here in the early am, but not for a while– he’s a brilliant, gifted artist, check out his work if you get the chance.

5. Macdog said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Well, that turned into a nail-biter. Cain and Hamels nearly match zeroes before all hell breaks loose when the closers come in. If those boos for Papelbon sounded loud on TV, believe me, they were way more resounding in person. And what irony on the night the Phils honored Brad Lidge. There’s a backstory to this, I’m sure some of you know, after Papelbon made some interesting comments this week:

“It was Papelbon’s first appearance at home since he told MLB.com that he “didn’t sign up for this” and that the Phillies needed to make changes “from top to bottom” if they were going to escape the malaise that has engulfed them during a stretch in which they have lost 10 of 11 games.”

And then Romo. It looked the Cubs series all over again waiting for the final coup de grace, but he somehow got out of it.

Loved that rally — Pence, Pill, Roger the K and Arias. Crazy. And Frenchy may be near-useless at the plate, but damn, he still can throw it.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Fantastic that you stayed. I know that sounds like a dumb thing to say, who would right?
      But some fans bailed, giants or Phils, you probably watched them go.
      What a bizarre, weird 9 th inning, right?

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Thanks for contributing to the W, Mac!

6. zumiee said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm

“and they were MONSTER bombs. He came the closest ever to hitting the glove…….”

I was at that game. I remember that HR very well.The pitch was low and Gallaraga golfed it. It went straight toward the glove, and ended up being 490 feet, I think.
    I think the opponent was Houston, although I might be wrong about that.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:27 pm

That’s rad, I love that you were there!

7. zumiee said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm

For the washed up, has-been list, did anyone mention Herschiser?

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

See, you’re not getting the list either. I didn’t get it but found out at the end that I DID get it. I think.
      Diggity confirms the list qualifiers up a few posts

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Diggity’s 8:55

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Oh I read Hammaker! Re-read Hershey– totally great pull

8. SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

No. Nice pull. He’d go to the side of the list of guys who have us a little something in the production area while here in SF.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm

My bad. I just looked up his stats. I’d forgotten he actually went 11-10 that year. We’d take that in a heartbeat this season. 🙂 🙂

9. zumiee said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

One of the many reasons the Dodgers will be hard to catch is that they still have 6 more games left with the Cubs after tonight.

10. SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I was mainly going for the guys who gave us nothing once they got here, but my list did include guys who gave us a decent season or two before hanging ’em up. Hershiser, Reggie Smith, Dusty, Galarraga, Joe Morgan (I think) all gave us a little something before the tank went completely dry.

11. SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I really couldn’t stand Hershiser and was taken aback when he signed with us. Then I saw an interview with him and he was so excited about living in the city and talked about how he had rented a place right in the heart of everything and was naming all of the classic places he was looking forward to taking his family and friends to. He came off like a great dude who was glad to be here and from that point I was on board with Bulldog as a Giant. I like him a lot as an analyst as well. However, my favorite player who plays/played on a team I hate/hated will always be James Worthy. If he would have played on any team but the Lakers, I would have been the biggest Worthy guy of all time. Absolutely loved his game and demeanor.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I really like those Laker teams of the ’80s. I despised the Celtics. I was into that rivalry BIG TIME. There was never anything like it in the NBA before or since. It was just huge.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Worthy apparently loved the LA ladies. And, had the wallet to buy a lot of love…

12. snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I think SDawg or somebody posted a bit ago about Al Rosen. Bad ass. You bet he was. He’s 89 now. He changed the entire direction of the Giants franchise when he came on board in the mid 80s.. Before him, Doom and Gloom and accept the losses. No way with him. Get out there, play your ass off, or get outta town. Result? Division wins, and the ’89 Series appearance. “Gassed”? Gas this, you’re DFA’d. I’d bet if he heard Kruk excuse the team for being “gassed”, he’d call Kruk out for such bullshit. I loved Al Rosen…

13. snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Willie Montanez? He played a little, maybe not washed up, but was a showboat more than anything with that swipe thing with his glove. Came from the Expos, I believe. It’s hazy, I’ve got a second glass of some Montepulciano working…

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Wasn’t he the guy pundits accused of hitting a “soft” .300? It was the first time I’d ever heard that phrase- a soft .300.

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Maybe, but he did knock in 100 runs the year he played for the Giants/Phils.
        We used to try to do the Montanez snatch-catch while catching pop-ups from the pitching machine in Junior High. Anyone remember Junior High Sports?? A thing of the past down here anyway. (Both juniors highs and pre-High School school sports programs)
        Back then, our coach bought a “Mizuno” first basemen’s glove and none of us had ever heard of the brand before. We made fun of that glove all the time and gave him all kinds of crap for buying that cheap, inferior brand with the funny name.
        Not too many years after that, Mizuno blew up and dominated the glove market. Now they even make golf clubs.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm

If you say so, I don’t remember. He wasn’t with SF very long. In the mid-’70s, guys were in and out of the Giants like a turnstile…

14. Macdog said, on August 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Oh man, this list of good-players-turned-has-beens is funny stuff. I wish I could come up with one, but you guys have it pretty well covered.

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Are you kidding me? You were AT the game today– in Philly, of all places. You’re a Made Man on this date MacDawg. No names required from you.

15. snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Mike Andrews, 2nd baseman in the ’70s. I’m not sure if he was washed up, but he played like it. Can’t remember what team he came from. Wasn’t home grown…

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Too many glasses of Montefusco for you tonight, Snarkk. You’re thinking of Rob Andrews. Stick to Makers and soda. I like a little cherry juice mixed in there too, but only when my friends aren’t around.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Mike, Rob, whatever. He was an Andrews. And, he sucked…

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Dawg, cherry juice? Man, you can’t do that to good bourbon. Throw that in some C and C or some such, sure. But, decent bourbon? Sacreligious, my man. And, the “Montefusco” is lovely after it gets a little breather for a few minutes out of bottle. But, I stay away from that Halicki stuff…

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I’ve had that lecture before. That’s why I only do it when my friends aren’t around. Bush league stuff, I know. But wouldn’t some ultra-purist give us BOTH crap for even adding soda water to Makers????

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Dawg, you CAN add soda (well actually still water) to bourbon. A good bourbon is like single malt scotch. A touch of water into a tumbler of single malt helps release all the hidden flavors. If you wish, you can cheat with one smallass ice cube. All the Scotch distillers recommend it, and its true. The whiskey before the bit of water is nice, but a little tight. That little touch of water opens up the legs, uh flower, so to speak, and heaven awaits. Blended whisky, doesn’t matter a bit, water won’t help…

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I read this 3 times and I’m still a bit confused. I might have to go smoke a bowl and lay on the trampoline under the stars with my I-pad to see if I can fully understand the knowledge you are breaking off here.
        Do you add ice when you pour yourself a Makers and Soda? I sure as hell do.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Dude, who am I to order you what to drink? 😉
        I’m just saying, if you have a nice tumbler of Kentucky straight bourbon or a nice single malt Scotch, I suggest, in order of satisfaction:
        1. Give it a little bit of spring water (teaspoon) before you start drinking. Mix well. Or, alternatively, if you must add soda water, add a little bit, no more. But, IMO the fizz fucks up the taste of the scotch on your tongue, though. Don’t put soda in great Scotch, that’s the bottom line. OR;
        2. Drop a small ice cube in it, let it melt a little and mix before you drink. Don’t add water. Ice AND water is too much water. OR;
        3. Drink it straight. Or, if you like it a little cool, you can get those rock “cubes” at BevMo or wherever, that you can put into the freezer. When they’re frozen, you drop one or two into your scotch. It cools down the scotch without adding water (so, you could add soda w/ iced rock cubes, and solve the problem of too much water using ice AND soda). Beware, if the scotch is too cold, the flavors degrade…
        4. A nice everyday single malt Scotch I recommend is Abelour, 10 year. It’s highland scotch, nice and smooth. Young and approachable, but satisfying. Like Daisy the Bartenderess, I imagine. If you want some Scotch that’ll kick your ass, get a Talisker 12 year. Rough and tumble, peaty. Like Anna the real estate agent, I would imagine. Now, if you want to go for it, like a top end experience with “Mary Ann” on the beach, I’d go with Glenmorangie 15 year (sherry wood aged). Definitely classy, high end but not stuffy, will show you a great time, and you won’t feel dirty when you’re finished — you’ll feel special and want to come back for more…

• SanDawg said, on August 1, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Simply outstanding. I’m going to print this and put it in the same file as the “Leek Mashed Potatoes” recipe I got from StixWiz and have enjoyed on several occasions. We’ll continue this discussion at Flapalooza.
        FYI-we had a poker game over here a while back and we did a blind taste test of Bourbons using Evan Williams, Jim Beam, and Makers. I don’t think I have a very discerning pallet as they all tasted damn near the same to me. I will say that when I picked my favorite, it ended up being the Maker’s.
        G’night Snarkk and all the rest of you Flappers. For me, I lean more heavily on this blog when the team is going badly, so that plays right into Salty’s comment. It does me good knowing there are so many others who take this shit as seriously as I do.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Evan Williams and Makers, fine. IMO Jim Beam regular is swill. The older, special batches are OK — if you really want to blow your mind, Dawg, get a bottle of Bookers (Beam makes it). It will last you for years, unless you’re insane. The stuff is quintessential Kentucky bourbon sippin’ whisky. Not cheap, but the defintion of good shit. You sit on your porch and sip half a finger of Bookers for two hours while slowly smoking a Montecristo #2 and listening to the Giants play. Smoke slowly, and as you sip the Booker’s, you can visualize those 16 year old Cuban virgins rolling that cigar. I might even imagine them telling Puig to get lost. You’ll demand that Romo blow the save so there’s extra innings — just so you can replenish the glass…

16. snarkk said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I’ve said it here before, a few years back I was in Philly, just happened to be there when the Gyros were in. Went out (down) to the ballpark on the subway or whatever it’s called — got a ticket and watched the Giants get smoked. I think it was the year the Phills won it all. Somebody hit a grand slam for the Phills — it might have been Pat the Bat. That place is a bandbox, no question. Fans around me treated me well, I must say. We talked ball. Some intelligent fans. I enjoyed it. Also, saw the biggest rat ever in the downtown subway station. So big, I saw him tell a cat to fuck off…

17. salty said, on August 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Ironic G’s fall out of contention and the blog gets better. This is one of the more entertaining weeks of threads capped off with tonight’s sandawg inspired trip from the past. Good stuff all.

18. chipower9 said, on August 1, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Awesome fucking game. I had flashbacks back to 2010. Torture baby…it never felt so good!

Kieschnick needs to be in there regularly until he proves he shouldn’t be. And love that he is rocking 22.

19. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2013 at 11:58 pm