A Dirrrrty Dozen of Runners Stranded

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 14, 2013

Not much to say about last night other than it was the same ol’ stuff. Others have noted it, but the pop up by Arias really did sum up the season—he gets 4 hits with no one on base and then pops up the first pitch with men on 2nd and 3rd.

Barry Zito has cleared waivers. Shocker. “There’s a fine line between clever and stupid.” That epic line from ‘Tap can be altered and adjusted to just about anything. For Barry, “there’s a fine line between good and awful.” Last year, especially the second half and the playoffs, he fed off the energy that ran through the entire team—Pagan and his salutes, Panda and his unbridled approach to the game, Pence and his speeches….When it all fell apart this year I think some players were affected more than others with the lack of purpose that befell this season. Zito seems to have been affected more than anyone else. 7 weeks left on his 7 year deal. Just ride it out, no one is trading for Zito…….

You look for reasons to watch these meaningless games: tonight, Tim Lincecum. Chad Gaudin’s watchful eye will be looming…….

Who’s up for meeting Tedspe before Flapalooza 3.0/his play? I’m in.

1. Alleykat said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:11 am

Yeah big deal Zito clears waivers and the Giants can now trade him to Venus. Its not like any team is gonna take him on earth.

2. willedav said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:28 am

Well, I am interested to see how TL fares on the road. Let’s see if he can continue his recent run of success, or if his earlier road woes, and they were awful, are thing of the past.

Home road splits of players fascinate me. I saw guys talking up Choo again yesterday so I looked up his splits on B/R. His OPS at home in bandbox Cincy is .926, road is .786. At home he is a .300 hitter, on the road .240. And remember part of his *road* games include Wrigley and the Brewers.
    Further, first half he had 13 HRs, second half 2. Avg in first half was .287, second half .213. His splits vs. LHP are abysmal as an everyday player, under .200.
    Bottom line, tho the overall numbers (.850 OPS, and probably hits 20 HRS/20 steals) I don’t see this guy leaving friendly confines of Cincy to play in ATT, ever.
    One more reason—I’d be wary of Cincy come playoff time. They have power and pitching plus Aroldis at back end. I think the experience of last year playoffs could fuel them with motivation to play with more grind and grit, and they showed they could win on the road here. I know Dusty gets a lot of grief, but I’d like to see him win one.

3. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

Magic turns 54 today. When I look at everything he’s done in his life, mine looks quite empty.
    I did not see Magic hitting 54. What a life

• willedav said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:27 am

Yeah. He and bird led the NBA out of the drug years that ruined a lot of talented guys like Michael ray Richardson and walter davis. There was a pretty good read that contrasted their two lives, how different their personas were and how often they intersected at college and pro level. Thx again btw to Zum, I’m gonna check out the mantle/mays book too.
      At one point in his life, bird had dropped out of Indiana U and walked away from Bobby Knight. He took a public works job in a small town near where he grew up and mowed lawns on city parks and played hoops with his buddies before being convinced to go back to college and play at then unknown Indiana State.

• zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m glad your enjoying “The DiMaggios” book, Willie. The Mantle and Mays book is excellent, too.
        I’m going to be reading “The Victory Season” next, about baseball at the end of WWII and the 1946 season, that was recommended by a Flapper, maybe you? I can’t remember which Flapper recommended it.

Speaking of Johnson and Bird, I have a copy of a Magic Johnson video from 1991 called “Always Showtime” and a Larry Bird one, also from 1991, In the world of sports biography videos, they’re two of the better ones. At one point in the Magic video, Magic says very matter of factly, and somehow without sounding like boasting: “I’ve always led. I don’t know how to follow.”
        He summed up his life in sports very well. Bird could say the same thing, I’m sure.

• willedav said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

I also remember watching Magic as a rookie the night he played point center for injured Jabbar in NBA finals (vs. Philly and doc, I think) and absolutely tore it up. This was in a dive bar in Mt. View and the game didn’t come on until way late at night because networks didn’t think too much of NBA 40 years ago.
      I hated the celts ever since I was a kid, but the pin down play they used to run with bird and Parish was absolutely unstoppable. the Chief would downscreen for Bird( who used to practice until he hit 25 3s in a row from different spots on the floor) to pop out and shoot wide open Js he could probably hit with eyes closed. If you switched the screen, bird with his quick hands would pass to the big ugly chief( whom I remember from his stumblebum days as a warrior) rolling to the hoop for a slam dunk.

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 10:12 am

BF, looks like you’ve got a great daughter that fills up your life. That’s not even close to being empty…

• zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

Plus, he’s a fan of the WORLD CHAMPION SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

and he has a signed barry zito baseball card !!!!

4. twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

well, it’s too bad about zits. i feel for the guy, ending his career here as the last guy in before belt pitches. let him go.

• zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

Seriously? You shredded the guy for years. What do you care?

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

seriously. i said something about this yesterday, i’m surprised you missed pouncing then. he’s terrible but i still don’t think he should go out the way it seems he will.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

besides, who wouldn’t rather see belt pitch ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:48 am

I hope to write something someday as awesome as this that was posted at the Flap yesterday:

“Rock Shoulders? Seth Schwindenhammer? Names like these are a death sentence for a minor league player.”

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Haha, but so true, right? Can you imagine Rennel….”Now batting….number 38….Rock Shoulders!”

6. Irish Kevin said, on August 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

Bird and Magic, I don’t think I have ever seen two players that played for the game and not the money like those to did. Magic…welll he was magical. and Bird well he was not too far behind. I can replay the 3 point contest over and over and never get tired of Bird on his last shot turns his back and raises the #1 sign as the ball goes into the basket. Classic!! And then because it just wasn’t talked about much, I learned later that Larry was quite the trash talker.

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Kevin, I agree Bird was unworldly with regard to the 3 point shot. Loved the competition between him and Magic.

For me, the Michael Jordan era was bereft of any real competition. I think Jordan was excellent mind you, but the best? Not in my book. Insofar as guards, I would take Oscar Robertson over Jordan and Magic. Why?

For example, when it comes to versatlity, the first name that often comes to mind is Magic Johnson. In today’s game everyone marvels at the versatility of LeBron James. You want versatility? Oscar Robertson not only averaged a triple-double for an entire season, he nearly averaged a triple-double in four total seasons. In fact, in his 10 years in Cincinnati, he averaged 29.3 points, 10.2 assists, and 8.5 rebounds per game while shooting 48.9 percent from the field.

How can a player with numbers like that be so overlooked? Oh wait, he played for the Cincinnati Royals. To say the very least, that’s a small-market team. That’s not only poor for getting exposure, but it’s poor for attracting players to sign to the team, which is more than important for building a legit championship contender. It’s no coincidence that the players considered the greatest of all time almost all played for big-market teams, and almost all of those guys with multiple championships played in those major markets. In my book, the “Big O” was the best guard of all time.

• willedav said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

He knew the game, what he could do, when to do it, when to dish to others. Late in his career he helped young Jabbar win a title in Milwaukee.
        Which brings up another reason I’d like to see Pagan back on the field. Guys like Quiche and Peguero (and Perez, et al) can learn a lot just from being around him. The kids have to have a role model and someone to learn from–how to go about the business of acting like a mlber, if they (and the Giants) ever hope to be one.

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Yes, I was so happy when he hooked up with Jabbar in Milwaukee. Great way to go out. Glad he was able to win at least one championship.

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:46 pm

“Which brings up another reason Iโ€™d like to see Pagan back on the field. Guys like Quiche and Peguero (and Perez, et al) can learn a lot just from being around him. The kids have to have a role model and someone to learn fromโ€“how to go about the business of acting like a mlber, if they (and the Giants) ever hope to be one.”

Excellent comment Willie. Pagan doesn’t get enough credit for being an outstanding role model. The rumors from New York that he was anything but a good team mate were dispelled once and for all here in San Francisco. I like how Pagan goes about his business with enthusiasm and pedal to the medal 100% of the time.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm

the kids are lacking role models on the team now? i can’t imagine that to be the case. and i certainly don’t understand the giants’ part of the comment. i might be missing what willie is saying with that part of it. i think that these guys have shown their character and heart.

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Mike, I think he was alluding to our young outfielders and besides Pence and Torres (both great role models), this would include Pagan in the outfield. Anywho, that was my take.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm

steve, i hope that’s the case. i wasn’t taking exception to pagan being a role model but what seemed to an inference that the young guys lack role models in pagan’s absence.

• willedav said, on August 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm

pagan as CF would be right alongside the kids, right next to them. CF controls stuff and in general has run of things. I like how pence plays the game but he is rather unorthodox, at plate and the field. I like blanco and torres too, they just might not be long for the Giants, nor Frenchy.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

thanks for some clarification. but i don’t take being a role model as pertaining to performance as much as character. that’s why i was puzzled by your comment. and i’m not saying that angel lacks character, just that the young guys have plenty of role models by that definition.

7. twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Gametime Forecast: 73ยฐF โ€ข Partly Cloudy โ€ข 0%PoP

1. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

2. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

4. Buster Posey (R) C

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

7. Roger Kieschnick (L) LF

8. Gregor Blanco (L) CF

9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

enjoy your afternoon, guys.

• Alleykat said, on August 14, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Partly Cloudy…Like our offense.

8. snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I’m up for meeting with Ted B4 the Flapalooza…

• zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Me too.

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Me 3

9. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I just read Pavlovic’s column on Belt’s swinging adjustments (new grip and moving back in the box) and have been meaning to ask the Flap group about these changes –

A. They result in Belt reaching his “vast potential” as Alex describes it, e.g., a perennial All Star?

B. They result in the one “Player Of The Week” award and then oblivion.

C. He becomes a good player, but not on a par with Will Clark

D. He becomes a good glove, satisfactory hitter along the lines of a J.T. Snow.

E. Fill in the blank with your opinion ______________

Me? “E.” I am encouraged by his recent improvement, but I’m going to wait and see if he can continue to play well this season. If he does continue to hit well, then that’s one area we don’t have to worry about next season.

• Alleykat said, on August 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm

F..He joins the PGA Tour with his new grip swing and “Belts” his drives farther then Bubba Watson.

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I have no idea what these changes mean, if anything. I’ve said all along my opinion is he has the talent to be somewhere in between JT and Will, in terms of production. As for defense, eventually as good or better than JT because he’s quicker, and his arm is better, IMO…

10. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Wheels falling off in this inning. Shit. Fuck.

11. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm

What’s the reason again, that Buster doesn’t like catching Timmy? LOL.

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Seriously– that WP was a fuckjng joke

12. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Not the best inning for Belt in the field…
    This inning has felt fucked up each and every hitter this inning.
    Belt has the chance to hit .285 or so, 18-20 hrs a year (at most) , likely gold glover. Hey, JT Snow had a nice career, I think Belt could be a poor man’s JT if he keeps making adjustments…

13. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm

It’s not like we aren’t hitting this fuck. We are. However, the nine ground ball outs isn’t helping things.

14. unca_chuck said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Soooo, they batted around I. The 4th? Yippee.

15. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Chuck, this is sort of a good news and bad news deal . . . The bad news is that Lincecum has digressed. The good news is that any contract that Sabes offers to Tiny Tim just went down a couple of million dollars. ๐Ÿ˜‰

16. zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:04 pm

So we’re well on track toward receiving our annual butt-kicking in Washington.

• zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Did the Nationals use to be the Expos? The Giants never seemed to fare well in Jarry Park either.

17. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:04 pm

OH SHIT. Zits is warming up. Hide the women folk.

18. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Another reason to keep watching: possibly Zito’s last appearance. It’s been a long, strange ride

19. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm

One of the Washington announcers just cracked me up . . . “There’s a curve ball by Zito.” says announcer 1. Announcer 2 says, “I don’t think that was his curve ball Bob . . . That was his fast ball.”

Hilarious.

20. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I am slowly becoming a believer. Thank you Mr. Brown of Philadelphia.

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:25 pm

It’s very nice to see him finally performing consistently at the plate

21. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Fuckin’ awesome, no matter how this game ends

22. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

OK, now some Giants baseball. Let’s go boys!

23. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

And Gio Gonzalez starts to do a slow burn….

24. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Keish– overmatched there

25. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm

“It’s been a while since we’ve seen an old fashioned comeback”. –Kuip
    Hey, it’s been a while since we’ve seen then score 4+ runs in a game. I’m only on my ph but when was the last time they scored at least 5 (minus that 9 run aberration)

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Double header with Cincy on the 21st of July.

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:51 pm

They scored . . . Ta Da! Exactly 5.

26. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm

By the way, Pawlie’s unplugged on a trip for about a week– we ‘ll catch up with him at Flapalooza…

27. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I hope that wherever Dominic Brown is, he’s taking bow’s right now and getting some “we’re not worthy!!” Chants from his fans

28. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Are you kidding me? Probably the best catch the MOFO has made this season.

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Nice job hanging in there Blade, it was just u and me at the end ๐Ÿ™‚

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm

๐Ÿ˜‰

29. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Fucking bullshit rag luck. Again

30. Macdog said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Good thing they’re out of it, or else this really would’ve hurt.

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I thought the exact same thing

31. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Span made some catch there. Announcer in DC called it a “walk off” catch.

32. snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

At least they made it interesting. Belt’s on a roll. I’m getting vibes of ’85, which is scary. Can this team win 70?…

33. twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm

since the as break- belt 4 hr
    everybody else- 4 hr

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Compared to Buster, Panda and Pence, Belt is hitting at least $5 million above pay grade. It’s time those three take some heat…

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

there were encouraging at bats for all 3 of those miscreants, although pence had already started to break out.
        kieschnick, though…you’d like the guy to chase up *or* down, not both. he’s no panda, it’s not like he can barrel up those pitches often.

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Again, all hail Dominic Freaking Brown

34. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Giants only struck out twice against Zimmerman. Some bad luck involved with regard to our hitting, especially on that last out.

35. Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Pablo’s first extra base hit since July 28th. Pathetic, but I guess we should rejoice?

• blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yeah, or do what the people in Boulder do when they are happy – participate in a drum circle. Umm . . . Don’t ask.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:09 pm

perhaps more pathetic- panda leads the team in rbi since the break. much of it was in a short span, but still…

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

His RBI numbers since the break are as pathetic as are the teams RBI numbers. This guy is a world series MVP he hits in a spot in the LU where RBI’s should fall into you backwards like this:

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm

i said it was pathetic. that 12 rbis leads the team is pathetic and even more so are the rbi numbers of the other guys in rbi slots. pence and buster have 13 *between* them..

36. blade3colorado said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Off topic – I’ve had Matt Garza on 2 of my fantasy league teams and he has gone totally south as I predicted he would, i.e., doing poorly because he went to an American League team, where he has to deal with a hitting league, as well as the DH. Tonight was the 3rd consecutive game where he gave up 4 runs. Pfffft! If his next game wasn’t against the Astros, I would drop his ass to the waiver wire ASAP.

37. Alleykat said, on August 14, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Pence 18 steals.Dude plays all- out hustle all- time.Giants would be fools letting him go.
    Doubt any Flapper expected him to lead the pathetic running game in steals?

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm

He definitely goes all out. And his speed on the base paths is a huge plus. I don’t think a big deal would change him but I still wouldn’t give him a big deal.

38. snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm

The after game radio rodeo on KNBR talks about Blanco being in a horrendous “slump”. If a guy is basically Oh for since the start of June, is that a “slump”? I’d call it just playing to talent level. The guy was a career minor leaguer, pretty much, before he became a Giant…

• Alleykat said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Geez nobody took Blanco after the game for his stellar. 113 avg after the break?
      Tap plastic player of the game needs to be Gregor Blanco, says K&K hitting quality dribblers with authority,just can’t get one pass the mound, “But close real close of breaking out of it!”

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm

i get the point about the platooners, but they aren’t the guys who were ever expected to put up big offensive numbers. we’ve lost 10 games to the bums since the all-star break and with posey, pablo, pence, and scooter all sucking to one degree or another since the break, there’s where the indignation should lie. as i might have said- if those guys did their jobs since the as break, kat and i could platoon and the team would be in first.

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:18 pm

The supposed “big bats” have cratered, to be sure. They deserve heat, as I said above. But, for the entire summer, the “table setters” have forgotten to set the plates, utensils and napkins…

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:47 pm

it took the last 3 weeks for blanco and torres to finally fall below the numbers put up by pagan in the one hole. the table has never been properly set this year.

39. twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm

well, his talent level would be more accurately reflected in his career numbers more than the ‘slump” or whatever you choose to call it. it’s certainly not true that his talent level is as a .170 hitter. he’s .252 in 498 big league games. that would be a more accurate reflection.

• Flavor said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:22 pm

actually, his career numbers are the WORST way to analyze him. He does much better spot starting, when he plays full time for long stretches he sucks. Who knows why. Baseball is a grind, maybe he’s not up for the grind. I’d like him as a 4th outfielder who we actually use all year as a 4th outfielder. Gotta get 3 better ones first…..

• Alleykat said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Are we talking about Torres as well.
        Career. 241 avg.Sucks when plays alot ,just like the other hydrant Blanco.
        And Twin,ill give you 2010 for Torres before you jump on me.But that was it for him.Sabes was dumb thinking he was gonna have anything left in the tank bringing him back this year.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm

kat- i wouldn’t jump on you for that- but ‘giving’ me 2010- what choice do you have, he was great that year. the current averages for torres and blanco probably do represent their ‘true talent level’ at this time. saying that their averages during their slumps are their talent levels is, as i said, preposterous.

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:13 pm

What’s preposterous about talent level showing up for 3 months? A slump is 2 or 3 weeks. As BF said, and I’ve said last year or maybe earlier, Blanco gets tired. Early. He’s not an everyday player. You’re seeing his talent level as an everyday player. It’s not pretty. As a LH batter and speedster, why he doesn’t try to bunt hit at least once a game is beyond my comprehension. Plus, these guys aren’t getting younger, their “career” numbers are not to be viewed in a vacuum. Torres is heading towards 36…

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:30 pm

well, he hit over .300 in june so i’m afraid you need to cut that three month number in half. it’s six weeks, bad enough. look, i don’t deny he’s streaky, he was last year too, but had his best months in may and september and actually did have 3 poor months in between those in 2012. his overall numbers reflect those down periods and those overall numbers are the standard by which he can fairly judged as long we’re throwing out his career numbers.

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm

it’s better than 2 months. the idea that .170 represents his true talent level is preposterous. if you don’t want to use his career numbers, his overall numbers *here* are certainly a more accurate barometer than those from this slump.

40. snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

At least Belt is showing signs of consistency. That is key. What I hear that is preposterous is criticism of Belt that now that the season is lost, he’s ratcheted up his hitting. Huh? So, the big three bats that still aren’t hitting, they’re absolved of criticism? The Belt critics out there are over the edge. I’m convinced they just don’t like his looks or his apparent languid approach sometimes, which people mistake for not being into the game. Kuiper did him no favors in naming him the “baby Giraffe”. The main things I believe he needs to improve are hitting consistency, and looking ahead at game situations while running the bases…

• twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:50 pm

well, we don’t have much to argue about there. and our politics seem close. religion? i believe in God. do you have a problem with Her ๐Ÿ˜‰

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 10:00 pm

8 years of parochial school took care of the Big Guy in the sky for me. The dastardly moral bankruptcy of the Catholic Church in the decades long global pedophile coverup sealed the deal. Not to mention guys like Jim Bakker and Pat Robertson on the Protestant side and their catastrophic weather and earthquake predictions based on the local gay population percentage. Must be lots of gay people living in Tornado Alley states. I could get into the Eastern stuff if I had a reason to, it’s more live and let live, and energy. Mrs. Snarkk is into a universal “energy”, and I’m up for that. I know I just need more of it…

• Flavor said, on August 15, 2013 at 5:53 am

Huff named him that.

41. snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Gyros playing at a .437 clip. Extend that through the year gets us to 71 wins, barely. The ’85 team won 62. The ’70s squads after 1971 were in the dogmeat zone of low to mid ’70s wins. We’ve got to at least get to 70, anything less will be a monumental embarrassment. Looks like they’re headed for the low to mid 70’s in Ws, which rivals those dogmeat teams of the ’70s after 1971. That would be embarrassing enough. They need to sack up and win some games…

42. twinfan1 said, on August 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm

good night, snarkk. sleep well…
    night all.

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Ok, I’m out, too. The snarkkmutt is looking longingly at the slider, he needs to go outside…

43. zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 11:13 pm

73 wins. I’d take it in a second. 73-89, and avoid 90 losses.

I don’t agree with lumping Posey in with Sandoval and Pence. Posey’s having a good year with the bat. It’s not his fault he often bats with nobody on base.

44. zumiee said, on August 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm

That’s quite a closer the Mets threw out there in the 9th inning. A 40-year old retread who gets hit in the nuts by a ball and then gives up a two-run homer. Of course, Mark Ellis was in the middle of that rally, just to trick people into believing there’s something called “clutch hitting.”
    Shame on the Giants for getting swept by the Mets at home. The Mets SUCK.

45. sportdude said, on August 15, 2013 at 1:32 am

Sports Illustrated Jinx got to Posey!