A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Red Sox are in Town

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 19, 2013

I found the Merc headline rather amusing: “Giants Fail to Pick Up A Game on the Dodgers”. Indeed. Letting such a critical opportunity slip away like that will probably haunt the players throughout the off season……

If you were ever gonna catch the Red Sox in a downer mode it would be today. After a super emotional game in which they gagged up the lead they then have to fly cross country to play the next day. Timmy couldn’t have circumstances any more in his favor than he does tonight. I’m betting that Boston sleep walks through this game. That is, unless Lincecum does this: throw his first pitch behind Pedroia then threw 2 inside pitches before finally plunking him with the 4th one. I know, that would be absurd, right?

Here’s what dinner looked like last night at Merna’s birthday bash:

mernatabby

1. blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 6:54 am

Great photo of Merna and her friend. I was wondering where Twin was (until you mentioned it yesterday at the gym Flav). Glad to see that they were able to celebrate Merna’s birthday. Go Merna! Go Twin! Go . . . umm, Giants!

2. willedav said, on August 19, 2013 at 7:49 am

Red sox fans, whom I’m assured will be out in force tho unlikely to take over the yard as they do in Oakland, have to be pissed about blowing an early lead and making a hero out of Rodriguez last night while losing a series at home to Yanks. Cheering doofus Dempster for beaning the guy, I don’t get. I still have my copy of *Starry Night*…Sox fans shouldn’t count their chickens yet.
    Lost in all the noise about Torres, why no mention of Bumgarner’s hand in the L, again? That’s a sub standard performance from a guy who was given an early lead and is pitching against primarily a AAA team. I haven’t even heard of many of players, including last couple SPs… Bum’s ERA, by the way, is about same as Ryu of Dodgers, who is likely their 3rd best SP. Giants SPs on the road trip were generally less than stellar.
    LF (and a back up in CF) will be one issue that Sabes will have to address in off season, but if you are looking for *a real mlb quality LFer*, I doubt Quiche or Pegs fits that description. And again, I’d like to see if either of them could handle RF.

3. willedav said, on August 19, 2013 at 7:54 am

I understand the Quiroz move, but Hector has had a whole season in Fresno to work on his game and get in shape–and I preface that with *baseball shape*. Baggs was pretty hard on him, but if you are ever gonna move Posey somewhere, Hector still doesn’t seem like the guy to take over that position.

4. eddacker said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:09 am

great picture twinfan, thanks for sharing, wonderful you got the goods together for the meal.

5. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:03 am

That Yankee/Red Sox game last night lasted about 4 hours it seemed like. There’s just something yucky about American League baseball. I hope the NL never gets the DH. If it does, it makes baseball hard to watch, even for hardcore baseball fans.
    I’m a little concerned about the way the replay will be used next season. The big red light for me was when they said the “umpires will use a phone in a secured place.” There’s several things troubling about that sentence. Even if it’s just the crew chief walking off the field, what if the crew chief is at secondbase that day?
    I wanted the crew chief to be caring some kind of phone on their person. All the technology is easily there for that. But no, the ump has to walk off the field. That’s a complete failure of imagination on the part of MLB. Like someone said the other day, in a few minutes the Flap could come up with a better system.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:11 am

Just a hand-held device that lit a green light for safe, and a red light for out. How hard could that be?

• blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

Great line – snarkk said (paraphrase), “We could come up with a better system between beer runs at the Flapalooza Sept. 7th fest.”

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:00 am

I agree! Let’s make sure that is one of our topics at the Flapalooza.

6. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

Something that will also change is that umps will probably stop being drama queens when they make a big call. No more big flourishes. If the call gets overturned, they’ll look like even bigger doofuses if they made a big dramatic flourish on the call.
    Also, it’s going to be hilarious how many calls get overturned. We all know how many close calls they get wrong, and it’s going to be amusing watching umps eat crow several times a game. The umps’ collective ego and bombast is about to take a big hit.

7. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

And what’s the over/under on how many times Bochy will have to use the replay challenge to correct umpires calling safe because Belt leaves the base so quickly. It’s all cool and groovy how he looks doing it, but umps have now blown 2 calls on it this season. Kuiper mentioned it in a broadcast that maybe the Giants will ask him to stop doing that at some point.

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

in between some of the dumb things i say, i did point out that issue last year. i’m surprised that he hasn’t been ‘caught’ more often.

8. Nipper said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:26 am

To be positive at least Pablo has lost some weight. According to Kruk his brother is cooking the meals.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:31 am

To be negative, why did he wait until recently to do it? His brother isn’t the only healthy chef around.

9. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:35 am

I’m not just picking on Pablo. From the top to the bottom, the organization and team weren’t ready to play this season. The Giants of 2013 will be an example of why it’s not always the best thing to bring everybody back for the attempt at the repeat. It’s nice to have some players mixed in who are hungry for their first World Series ring. In addition, there were probably residual effects from the World Baseball tournament.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:37 am

The good news is that the team will probably come back in 2014 with their competitive edge and fire back.
      I hope.

10. twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:54 am

i haven’t read any of yesterday’s comments but i saw enough to figure out that torres was a big topic. the bounce after he dove for the ball was just bad luck but the sin was the needless attempt to make the diving catch in the first place. i’m sure that dfa talk has come up again but i doubt that they’ll do that the former williie mac winner and clubhouse favorite. most likely he’ll be relegated to spot duty in september and just not be re-signed. it’s good to see blanco starting to come out of his slump -he’ll most likely finish at his ‘talent level’ of .250 or so. bochy seems to be indicating that he’ll still start yungo against lefties and he really has little choice until/if pagan gets back on the field. btw, since madbum’s ‘checking out’ soliloquy, i’ve only seen one guy check out- madbum on his leisurely amble to second base in his last start….
    thanks for the many kind words from many of you, we had a nice time celebrating merna’s birthday. maybe i’ll check in again later if i can. or anybody interested can check my blog for updates or shoot me an email.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

Glad you had a good time, Twin. How was the scallop/lobster salad? Did you do it? If so…I’ll shoot you an email…I know you said you don’t do recipes, but if I could get some “loose guidelines” that sounds like an awesome dish.

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:59 am

i did the outline on my blog, chi, as you asked. the one change, i added some prawns because scallops were exhorbitant.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Ah, my bad for not circling back to check it (your blog) out…I will, though. And thank you! Yeah, I was looking at scallops the other day for a dish I do and they were pricey.

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Scallops quick-sauteed in browned sage butter. Mmmmm….

11. blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:07 am

Related to what Nipper wrote – here is the article about Sandoval’s brother, who is cooking for him . . .

Apparently, he doesn’t have Panda’s baseball genes, but he has graduated from a culinary school and knows how to cook healthy meals. Sandoval still looks fat, so he will have to lose more than the 22 lbs., he indicated he has lost in this article IMO.

By the by, I loved Panda’s play at 1st the other day, where he beat out that two-out ground ball in the fourth inning (which scored the game’s first run, and kept alive what turned into a four-run rally). I haven’t seen as much Giants baseball as you guys have, but that play ranks 2nd after Crazy Horse’s inside the park home run in my book.

12. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:10 am

Yeah, on zumiee’s mini thread, I don’t understand this stuff about players not being in shape. These are professional ballplayers, right? It’s not like they’re selling insurance during the day, and then have to work out at night. Panda’s troubles with weight are documented. I don’t begin to understand a guy in the minors like Hector being out of shape. You’re trying to get to the big leagues, the Show, the big lights and big money, yet you’re not in shape BEFORE coming into Spring Training? You’re not in baseball shape AFTER 4+ months in Fresno? He apparently had a sore shoulder, but does that stop you from running, cross training, Pilates, eating healthy, bike work, squats, etc.? I just don’t get it from a AAA player/prospect motivation POV. Further, I don’t know how an organization lets this happen, not only at the MLB level with Pablo, but now in the minors? What are the Giants doing to make sure their people, their investments, workout like they should? It makes no sense to me…

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:37 am

between Pablo only losing weight when his bro starts cooking for him, Dominic Brown fixing Belt and Gaudin fixing Timmy it makes you wonder what the fuck the coaches are doing…….

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

I agree on this all…and also on the comment (by WillieD) about if you ever move Posey somewhere, Hector IS NOT the answer. HRs or not…I have just about seen enough of Hector.

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

yet we’re past mid-august and the guy has more rbis than posey since the break. i want to see posey behind the plate. if he’s too fragile to *catch* regularly, he’s been way overpaid. hector deserves plenty of heat but unless i’ve missed it -possible- i’m not seeing posey kvetching about all the rest and relaxation he’s enjoying. i expect a league mvp and face of the franchise to be all over the manager for sitting him 2 of 3 this weekend.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I agree, Michael. I want to see Posey behind the dish, too (and regularly). Just based on what I have seen of Hector to date (from the few games in 2011 through this year) and I just don’t see him as a viable option as the primary back-up. I hope the Giants can do better next year.

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I’ve already said my peace about Posey getting rest. He’s apparently 2nd in the league in starts as a catcher, I read somewhere. So, chastened a bit, I guess I’m wrong, it’s not as if he’s way behind the league in that. It just perplexes me why he seems to sit as much as he does at his age, and pay grade. I’m not going to look it up, but I saw him play — I don’t think Bochy ever sat Bengie this much. Of course, I am suspicious of an injury/medical situation not being revealed, with his ankle the prime suspect…

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:14 am

Congrats and hearty good wishes to Merna, and Twinfan.

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:15 am

I almost pine for the days when all we had to whine about was Nick Noonan or Ryan Rohlinger or Travis Ishikawa or — insert name here.

15. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:19 am

In reference to Willie’s 7:49 – I went to the first ever interleague series between the Red Sox and Giants in our yard back in 2004 (June, I believe), and I can’t attest to other ball parks (you mentioned Oakland), but during that series…especially the first game…there were a shitload of Red Sox fans. It was unreal…we were like “where the fuck did all the Sox fans come from?!”

Bumgarner certainly had his piece of yesterday’s loss, but no way I bag on him. He has the best ERA and WHIP of any starter on our team. MLB-wide he is 12th in ERA and 6th in WHIP. I would gladly take five of him for my starting staff. Bum is a stud and I think well on the way to being the staff ace.

16. Macdog said, on August 19, 2013 at 12:33 pm

“Bochy said that Andres Torres and Jeff Francoeur will likely be in center and left against the two left-handers.”

GIven that, if I had tix for tonight’s game, I might’ve sold them to Red Sox fans, too.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I’m going to Wednesday’s game and I have to admit the enthusiasm for going to it has fizzled a bit. I know I’ll have a good time once I get there, but it’s just the thought of going that has lost some enthusiasm.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm

And if they were in first place, you would probably be pumped as hell and could not wait to get there. I’m looking forward to the Flapalooza game, mainly as I hope to meet many Flappers that I have not met to date (I have only met Blade and Irish Kevin in person). But I still just dig being at that yard…even this year when they have fallen on hard times.

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Is Kieschnick hopeless against LHPs? That’s the only reason I’d sit him for either of those two, and even then, I’d play him to get better against LHPs. And, if he can’t hit LHPs, he’s not a viable FT candidate for LFer next year…

17. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I was at a Giants/Red Sox game in 2010. I remember it being Bumgarner’s first game that season. He got shelled in the first inning or so, but then settled in and pitched well the rest of the way, and the Giants had chances later in the game, but lost. There were a lot of Red Sox fans there, really feeling good about themselves. How sweet it was for Giants fans the way 2010 ended.

18. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm

“yet we’re past mid-august and the guy has more rbis than posey since the break. ”

TF, so now RBIs matter? SABR people, like you, poo-poo RBIs as an irrelevant stat, and clutch-hitting as non-existent. You don’t seem consistent on this regarding Posey, a .300-hitter.

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm

they matter when the leader since the break has 18 abs and the other has 86. you should be able to deal with the fact that buster has not played well since the break.and you have misrepresented what ‘sabr people’ say about rbis. there is no ‘ sabr person’ who would allege with a straight face that having fewer rbis in 86 at bats than a player with 18 is insignificant. i neglected to mention buster’s sub-standard obp, horrible slugging pct, poor ops, ops+, and…well, his performance since the all-star break has been awful, including his batting average. i have no doubt he’ll rebound but the facts of his poor performance during this terrible slide are not arguable-sabr or otherwise. making excuses for him while trashing fringe players is bs. his july/august play is far more responsible for the slide than that of francoeur or any of the popular whipping boys…

• Nipper said, on August 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm

He’s busted!

19. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Yeach, Chi, my wife and I went to the 1st Red Sox series as well. The Saturday game. We stayed at the Hyatt (or Hilton? The one near the fountain that Bono defaced) the night before, and I was amazed at how many Boston fans were in the hotel and the bars around the area.

Well, not surprised about the bar part . . . Giants won 6-2 I think… Big buzz in the stands though. I tried to buy one a them shirts, but they had run out before the end of the game.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hey, that was a great rock and roll moment. “Rock and roll stops traffic” is what he wrote on it, I think. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hah! Can’t even try to remember what he sprayed on the fountain. Except maybe “Don’t call me Sonny!”

20. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Whatever Panda’s bro’ is cookin’, I’d like some to help me lose some around the belly. Didn’t Pablo have a personal cook before — one the Giants hired or something? So, why is bro’s cooking getting it done, when before it didn’t work? I find it strange we get info like this piecemeal from the sports press, or just Kruk & Kuip sloughing off the info as if everybody already knows how much he’s lost and how. Do we have any clue if Pablo works out before, after the game, at the Park, at home, in a club somewhere, and what workouts he’s been doing? Cardio, running up stadium steps? What? Was he eating garbage before or mama’s cooking? How did he really lose it — so we know what he wasn’t doing before. If we’re in NYC for the Mets or Yanks, we’d probably know what he eats for every friggin meal, and details on his workouts. I don’t need to hear all that, but shoot, here, we get second and third hand dope about one of our key players and the prime issue that may decide whether he stays or goes…

21. twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm

1. Andres Torres (S) CF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

4. Buster Posey (R) C

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

7. Jeff Francoeur (R) LF

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

22. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Shit, the fact that he even lost the weight is an issue. Just because they say it, it’s real? He sure doesn’t look a hell of a lot different. 280 to 260 may not look like much, so who really knows?

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm

i think his running makes it pretty obvious. remember when craig talked about his extremely low double total- 7 thru june. he’s had 14 since july. that’s a 40 plus rate over a full season.

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm

He does “look” faster running the bags, and it appears there is less jiggle factor. How much is hard to say…

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

i think that the fact that he didn’t die after scoring from first yesterday is proof enough..
        seriously, did you see where he was when the left fielder made his throw- i thought panda would be out by 40 feet. yet he and a strong relay throw arrived at the plate at the same time. he’s going to break an ankle sliding like that, though…

23. blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Jiggle Factor = mass (lb) * 703
    (height (in))2

Or, expressed in metric . . .

Jiggle Factor = mass (kg)
    (height (m))2

😉

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Yep, impressive Blade. Not well known, but you’ve nailed Newton’s 4th law of motion — the Jiggle Factor …

24. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Posey has been “awful” since the All-Star break, and somehow he’s still hitting .303?
    What was his batting average at the All-Star break? I would look it up, but I don’t where to look for it.

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

he was great before the break, he hit .325 . since the break he’s hit .221. you can find those splits at baseball reference and other places.

• twinfan1 said, on August 19, 2013 at 6:17 pm

in my case this originally came up in looking at why we’ve lost 10 plus games to first place since the break. it’s not possible to ignore posey’s drop off as a major factor. nitey nite, enjoy the game. hey, he’s *due*..

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I see your point; I’m just trying to make sense of SABR logic. How much credit does he get for the team’s record BEFORE the All-Star break, when he was practically carrying the team at times? Overall, he’s not having an MVP season, but overall his numbers are good. But that’s me assuming that he’ll do better the rest of the way this season, and the future is unwritten, as always.

25. SanDawg said, on August 19, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I knew Francisco Liriano was in the Pirates rotation, but I didn’t know homeboy is 13-5 with a 2.68 ERA.
    Fired up for Timmy tonite and Vogy/Peavy tomorrow.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm

hey, kick me an email with your Flapalooza itinerary. Bobby Bowden is 50/50 on being here the same weekend.

26. Macdog said, on August 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Marlins win! Another chance for the Giants to pick up a game on the Dodgers.

27. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Yowza. 2 balks to score a run in 3 days

28. Macdog said, on August 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Buster must be taking Hector under his wing.

29. Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The flip side to this bullshit is that I’m powering down the sickest gazpacho I’ve ever made (it’s been chillin’ for 36 hours). As some of you know, we grow our own tomatoes so this is go-time for this dish

• blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I am tending my parents garden and consequently, I have tomatoes coming out of my ass. I’m curious Flav – what is the killer recipe for gazpacho soup (or is it a State secret and you’d have to eliminate me after revealing it)?

30. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

So much for the Boston-is-tired theory.

• blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:45 pm

LMAO. Funny.

31. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Nate Schierholtz, 6 rbis today. Now has 18 hrs. Let me check. How many SF players have 18 homers?

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Several, if they played their homegames at Wrigley. 🙂

32. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Timmy’s got to wear this one as the pen is shot these past couple days.

33. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

And as I say that, they pull him . . .

34. salty said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Well Tim, I guess Chad didn’t have the answers after all.
    The shit athletes will believe is truly astounding.

• James said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Dominic is still holding on to sage status for a little while longer.

• James said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Domonic . . . .

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Salty, that is a classic post……

35. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Anyone else see that footage of Wilson in the Dodger dugout? Why would you go to your new team looking so over-the-top? The Dodgers are in firstplace; they don’t need an instant clown-show. Plus, they already have Han-Ram’s clown-show.

36. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm

There are certain games where the Giants seem determined to put the exclamation point on a sucky season.

37. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Speaking of tired, I’m sure tired of seeing this team lay down for these fair-to-middling pitchers.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the wild pitch . . . Bad enough to give up runs. Worse to give them away.

Bochy just might quit if this keeps going on.

38. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Hmmm. Balk in a run. Wild pitch in a run. Not a good idea when your team might get 3 runs, tops. I was hoping the Giants would play up to their competition this week. Apparently, not so much so far…

39. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Didn’t see it, Zume, but I don’t expect Wilson to do any less. He is what he is.

One fucking hit. Lester’s era is 4.31 for Christ’s sake.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm

There was a camera shot of him without his cap on, and viewers got the whole “look.” His hair looked like it was in a severe mohawk, but with the hair of the mohawk long and pulled back into a ponytail. Combined with The Beard, of course. He better pitch well with that look. 🙂

40. Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:08 pm

41. Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Did Timmy throw 148 pitches last game? No? Cause that’s the only thing that could explain this pathetic performance. I don’t have a problem with fucking up physically, but failing mentally, AS THIS ENTIRE TEAM HAS DONE TONIGHT, is unacceptable.
    The Red Sox los a heartbreaker last night against their greatest rival and then travel across country for a MANDATORY let down game and what happens? They make us look like the Marlins. Which, if you watched the last series, is juuuuust about who we are………….

42. Macdog said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I was gonna wait ’til it was over to post this, but some of you have already given up as well. Another lackluster, lackadaisical showing. Same as yesterday, only playing one of the worst teams in baseball they actually had a chance to win. Not so tonight vs. a clearly superior team that’s exposing the Giants’ every flaw — and there are many.

43. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Another thing about Wilson, he’s wearing the number 00, which is kind of extra clownish, too. The Dodgers have high clown factor with their numbers. Ryu wears 99, and Puig wears 66. And Wilson’s black beard looked a lot better wearing a Giants black cap, instead of Dodger blue. The black beard and blue cap has high clown factor.

44. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Woh- I hear ya on that lightning and thunder!!! It’s officially arrived in my area.

• Nipper said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Yeah raining in the South Bay.

45. Nipper said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Please correct me if I’m wrong but without looking it up, the Giants usually play poorly after coming from an Eastern trip for a at least the first game back or so it seems by this latest effort.

46. Macdog said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:31 pm

We have Pablo’s brother to thank for Sandoval only hitting into one double play tonight.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:33 pm

hey, it used to be a double-double, so we’ve got that to thank him for, too…….

47. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Pill finally playing in the OF. The Pill lovers have their wish. He can’t be worse out there than Pat the Bat, I should think. And, he just showed he can move out there….

48. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm

How many f’s is pfffft supposed to have?

49. zumiee said, on August 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Something positive could happen after this game; the Giants could cut Frenchy from the team, and just get that failed experiment over with.

50. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I’d give one “f” for each RSox run, so with it now 7-0, I’d go with pffffffft…

51. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:04 pm

That swing of his on the pitch about 2′ high of the strike zone should hopefully get Frenchy Fuqua the fuck out of here.

Aaaaaaaaaaand Sonofabitchia scores . . .

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Snookie’s the ball dudette?

52. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Need to get a late TD to tie this game up.

53. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Or the GEGIDP.

54. blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Arias looked ridiculous on that SO.

55. blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Great effort GMen . . . A frickin’ 2nd tier pitcher shuts you out. Can’t wait for the next indignity.

56. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 10:32 pm

At this rate, we may all meet with Ted somewhere outside ATT before the Flapalooza, and never go into the game…

57. blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thank God for fantasy league baseball. My attention span for this season of “real” Giants baseball pales in comparison.

58. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Pujols. Out for the year with torn plantar fascia in left foot. Wow, that contract is looking nasty…

• blade3colorado said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Yeah, I have no idea what Moreno was thinking. He should stick to setting the beer prices.

59. snarkk said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Reports on ESPN now that Braun, before his original appeal was approved, sought support of fellow players by calling the FedEx sample collector guy an “anti-semite”. No evidence of that. If true, the scumbaggery of this guy increases regularly…

60. willedav said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Just saw a feel good story on yahoo—Richie Havens ashes were scattered over Woodstock Sunday.
    I wore out his first LP, *Mixed Bag*, which had a great version of the song *San Francisco Bay blues*.
    I know it seems like it can’t happen soon enough, but at some point we will bid goodbye to this season, and, like Cub fans everywhere, talk about how we’ll get ’em next year.

61. sportdude said, on August 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Just to spice things up a bit.. I am not a fire the manager at the drop of a hat guy, but some are…If the Giants play bad defense, bad pitching, no hitting, and seem not mentally prepared tp play at times..at what point does Bochy get the Charlie Manuel treatment? Don’t get all fired up. i am not advocating it, just asking. If we are playing below expectations next year what then?

• blade3colorado said, on August 20, 2013 at 12:03 am

Good question Sportdude. Me? Bruce Bochy has a very, very, very long leash (3-5 years). Also, in my opinion, Manuel’s situation is different. Number one, this guy is as old as dirt. Second, the Phils were expected to win World Series annually for the last 5 years (this year being an exception, although they were still expected to compete for a Division or Wild Card). He failed miserably, except for the one year they won it all. Meanwhile, the Giants surprised everyone in 2010 and especially, last year . . . No one expected us to come back in each of the playoff series and to completely dominate the Tigers. Bruce has job security for a long, long time in my mind.

• snarkk said, on August 20, 2013 at 12:31 am

I’ve asked that question in different ways, sdude. Bochy clearly shares blame of some sort for this debacle of a season. He had an interview with Baggarly at the CSNBA website, and took some blame, sort of. Not real strong in taking blame, kinda like “well, I could have managed the guys a little better, they’re all different, maybe I was too rough on some, not enough on others”. That kinda fluff. Anyway, he’s back next year. If the team dives again next season, all bets are off on him and the whole coaching staff, as well as the front office. This franchise makes far too much money to have consecutive disastrous seasons…

• blade3colorado said, on August 20, 2013 at 6:27 am

Sportdude, snarkk is a task master (Cal-Berkeley will do that to you) and is always looking for inefficiencies in an organization. This extends from the top of the organization to the bottom, where the secretary is buying too many “post it” pads and the more expensive colored paper clips. 😉