A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Camp Panda 3.0

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 15, 2013

I’m fine with Sandoval’s decision to play Winter ball in Venezuela instead of work out under the “Giant” eye in Arizona. At some point, this guy has to grow up and take care of himself. And money motivates a lot of people so I would be inclined to believe that he’ll come to camp in shape and have a good year in 2014. If he can’t responsibly take care of his body with millions of dollars at stake then he’ll never be able to do it.

And I don’t care what he does next year, he could hit .400 with 75 hr’s, I would not want him back. Let another team commit to him for several years only to watch him balloon up again.

___________________________

MVP results not a huge surprise. I nailed the exacta last August 18th:

1. blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2013 at 7:10 am

I agree with you, as this is exactly what I said in the previous thread. Sabes and the Giants will let the Panda situation play out next season and hopefully, take advantage of an outstanding walk year . . . Then adios Pablo – go be someone else’s Jenny Craig problem.

2. willedav said, on November 15, 2013 at 7:22 am

Lot of people including here wrote Pablo off in 2010 and were sure his career was over. while he has had his ups and downs, with 2013 definitely a *down* year, I’d look for a rebound in contract season. He said all the right things in the Chron article–see what happens. Whether you sign him to another deal or attempt to trade him is a long way off.
    As far as consistency goes, outside of Cabrera, I dunno. Chase Headley hit .250 last year with 13 HRs and 50 rbis in 600 ABs. David Freese, Cards WS hero from couple years ago, hit .260 with 9 HRs, good for 7th on his team in 500 ABs. Pedro Alvarez, for all his jacks, hit .233 and K’d 186 times with an OB in the .290s. Juan Uribe had nice bounce back year…from two terrible seasons before that after leaving SF. The A’s dug Donaldson out of the minors, as a complete bust and third string C.
    I realize I’m not changing anyone’s opinion, but the *fat fuck* stuff bothers me. If you don’t like the guy, fine, but Baseball does not require near the conditioning of other major sports–Miguel Cabrera would be my exhibit A. He’s huge, not very mobile and not much of a 3b, and league MVP two years running with a Triple Crown under his belt. Half of every 9 game is spent sitting on your butt in the dugout, and 3b requires about least amount of range of any position. The idea everyone has to look like an African marathon runner to play baseball is dumb.
    Sandoval is a big guy…too big to be an effective player is only something Bochy decides. Can anyone tell me what he weighed when he hammered Verlander a year ago? Did it matter then? Thankfully the Giants haven’t taken the position of other bloggers here that want to throw him into some kind of concentration camp until he looks like blanco or Pagan to protect their investment or some nonsense.

• Bozo said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:25 am

When talking about lack of conditioning, exhibit A and B will always be Mark Portugal and Don Robinson in my book. I loved it when we got Porch because he wasn’t beating us any more. But the dude smoked and was overweight. Because of his smoking they put his locker next to the door, he pointed out that wasn’t a great idea because it was also next to the doughnut table. The Caveman, I just loved that guy, but I wouldn’t call him in shape for anything, including bowling. Do you remember when he pulled a butt muscle? The reporters asked Roger Craig how long he’d be out and the Skipper replied with, I don’t know, have you seen the size of his butt? Or something like that.

Pablo isn’t just hanging around drinking tequila shots, the dude is working with Rafael Alvarez who was Bobby Abreu’s trainer. He says he plans to come back to AZ in January to complete his training before camp opens. His brother Michael is keeping tabs on the workouts through his instagram account (mikesandoval0807) so if anyone wants to follow along. Personally I think Panda is going to have a huge year and no, I’m not making a weight joke here, I’m thinking MVP type numbers.

3. twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

Nobody knows whether Pablo will leave or not after 2014. The idea that it doesn’t matter what does in 2014 is pure poppycock. He began dedicating himself to getting in better shape mid-2013- and he was better in the field, at bat, and on the bases because of it. If he does report in good shape and has a good year, he will be in demand and the* only* way the Giants would let him walk without an effort to retain him is if they had a better alternative- and there ain’t many of those, certainly none that won’t require major bucks. Willie’s is a sensible post on this, others should pay attention- in particular to the “fat fuck”(and similar) stuff. Can it. And I’ll remind again that even in his poor year(by *his* standards), he was a hell of a lot better than most 3rd baseman in the league. An old chestnut applies here- be careful what you wish for, you may get it..

• snarkk said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:31 am

How nice that he decided to dedicate himself to being a pro athlete in mid 2013…

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

Yeah, he’s been just soooooo terrible in his career here. He can’t win with you. I haven’t seen even one of his detractors mention the bone chips in his elbow that he played thru ( please, Dr. Snarrk, explain how THAT one is weight related). And first you’re all bent because he *supposedly* wasn’t going to address his weight for two years, then you’re postal because he started in 3 months. He HAS tried before and you’re woefully uninformed if you think that it’s an easy task- for anybody, pro athletes included.

4. Alleykat said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

Well I’m the only one who wants 3B Matt Dominguez.He is gonna be a star in this league.Yeah I know his stats for basically a first year player OPS & Avg were not up to Flap standards,but 22bombs and 77 RBI’S on the worse team in baseball speaks volumes and his D is fantastic overall.He is only gonna improve and be an Allstar for years IMO.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:40 am

What team he played for has no bearing on his numbers, he’s not a pitcher. It’s fine if you want to hope he becomes a star, and I hope he does, the Astros sure need it. BTW- if they think as you do, there is no way on God’s greenish Earth they’re letting him go -he’s under control until 2019. He would be precisely the kind of guy a bottom feeder wouldn’t unload.

5. willedav said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:46 am

Elite 3b of the NL would be Johnson of Braves Prado David Wright and Ryan Zim of the Nats. Toss in Aramis if you want. Otherwise, it’s the guys I mentioned above with their ups and downs plus Todd Frazier of the reds who hit .234 in a bandbox yard, and the Rox kid Arenado. He had a nice year but stats are home park driven-.298 at home, .238 on the road with a .619 OPS. He actually hit better in second half when he hit less HRs (only 3 in 200 plus ABs) Otherwise you’re talking likes of Cody Asche and Luis Valbuena.
    As much time as Pablo has missed last couple years, I didn’t see anyone that ever replaced him internally worth a full time job; even Scuts was horrible over there. If you worry about SF ability to score runs for the pitching staff, playing Noonan and Arias at 3b full time sure isn’t going to help it. These are both bottom of the order guys, where we already have Crawford fully entrenched.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

If Jason Hamm… uh, I mean Barry Zito, is deified because of a serviceable 7th year and a good postseason, Panda should in the Temple of all Gods for his contributions in his career here and in the 2012 postseason. Another little reminder- while Zits was saving the 2012 season all by his lonesome, here’s what Pablo did in the 3 games Zito pitched:

Game 4 of the NLDS- 4 AB 1 R 3 Hits 3 RBI 1 2B 1 HR
      Game 5 of the NLCS- 4 AB 2 R 2 Hits 1 RBI 1 HR
      Game 1 of the WS- 4 AB 3 R 4 Hits 4 RBI 3 HR

12 AB 6 R 9 hits 5 HR 8 RBI .750 BA

6. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

Well, I think Willie makes excellent points. And to Kat’s comment on Dominguez. The ONLY upside would be, as Michael mentions, he would be under control for less coin. Comparison of Dom and Panda (career averages, Dom’s numbers first, Panda’s second):

HRs: 21/20. RBI: 77/90. BA: .248/.298. OBP: .286/.351. SLG: .410/.476. OPS: .700/.827.

The numbers are not even close. I beg to differ with both Craig and Blade, if Pablo comes to camp in shape, has a good year (stays healthy and hits near career averages), then I would like to see him get a 3 year deal with an option (if he DOES come to camp in shape and hit near career averages, I suspect he wants more than three…more like four our five).

His numbers are pretty damned good, and the Giants have NOTHING ready to replace that type of production. And if they do replace him via trade/FA, someone with those types of numbers will cost as much as what Pablo will cost on his next contract.

He is a fan favorite…I say if he meets the qualifiers (shape and good numbers), you have to try and resign him.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

I don’t see Sandoval going anywhere. He really is an exceptional talent. Maybe they’ll put a weight clause in the contract but I think he is going to be around and be extended. Maybe even before camp breaks.

If not, who is going to replace him? I also think Baer really likes continuity on the club. Especially when it comes to marketing and sales of dugout store junk.

8. Flavor said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:09 am

I would support a weight-clause in his contract, I hadn’t thought of that. Not sure if that flies with the Player’s Association.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:23 am

You’re probably right about MLBPA not going for it. Besides, it really is pretty insulting to put that type of language in a contract. The fact that Sandoval is not training in AZ doesn’t bother me though. He’s with his family and not just his mother. His child is there too. I am not going to hold it against him that after playing baseball for 6 months that he wants to be around his people. I think I read somewhere that his brother recently completed culinary school and is acting as his personal chef. Sandoval can workout all he wants but 80% of fitness is eating right so hopefully he is handling the nutrition part of it.

• Nipper said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:23 am

Yeah have a Jenny Craig for Men clause in all the contracts. Pass muster or a trip to Jenny should be mandatory. Or better yet, the NL creates a new position…….DH for the heavy guys!

9. stixwiz said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:32 am

Ruthean potential remains. Perhaps its a matter of concentration, will, or both. Then there’s the eyesight issue. Somebody may have fucked up in the laser treatment. Seems like there was a big chunk of time where it appeared Panda simply was not seeing the ball and was swinging like the proverbial barn-door. To me this issue is bigger than his weight. The latter is something he can control if the will is there.

Agree with pretty much everybody here that Pablo will go all-out in his jump year. Should the stars align he has Miggy potential on the trifecta ~ with even more pop. Such a thing happens and he could just about dictate his terms to management ~ or take the biggest, baddest walk in baseball history ~ at least since Gene Autrey ensorcelled Rod Carew away from penny-pinching Cal Griffith in the first big F.A. takeaway.

Pitching comes first. Haren or Hudson should do the trick for the #3 or four, if you think Timmy will be resurgent. Fifth starter should come from Petit, Surkamp or possibly even a reprise from Vogelsong. SF desperately needs a fireman ~ a role which has been largely discounted since the rise of the closer in the Seventies and Eighties. Cody Hall might be able to fill that role before or by mid-season. If Yusmiero does not get the #5 slot, he would make the ideal long-man.

A revivified and realigned staff, a steady defense and then we can go bear hunting. A determined and energized Sandoval, combined with a full year of Pagan as the sparkplug; a rising Belt batting third; the 2012 MVP not needing to bear so much of the load by himself and the Reverend as the 99 RBI reminder and the Giants could sport a monster offense. Add a left-fielder cut out of the gamer Johnny Gomes mold and the offense would be capable of propelling Matt Cain back into his dominant norm by not having to constantly pitch too filne.

So a Panda living up to his potential could do for the Giants what a lot of retooling did for the Red Sox this year. It could mean another ring.

• chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Excellent post, stix. Hope to see you here on a regular basis. Your posts are always insightful. I agree with you whole-heartedly.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:46 am

The overarching reason to keep Pablo beyond this year is there’s no one waiting in the wings to wrest the job from him. IT’s either sign him, or some other overpriced FA.

If he comes in and kicks ass, I’d go with him. If he comes in fat and uninterested (not likely, IMO) then let him walk.

11. zumiee said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

To me, the big thing for Sandoval is games-played. If he plays in, say, 145+ games this season, I say re-sign him. Last season he appeared in 141. Were the injuries weight-related, who knows? But you can’t help but wonder.

12. stixwiz said, on November 15, 2013 at 9:50 am

Now for the bad news. Right at the top of the list on the latest blurbing from MLBTR come kissy-kissy sounds between Javier Lopez and the Evil Empire. Evidently the Yanks wanna go for their bigger issues first so the premiere loogie is still available for the Giants. Cost would be high ~ maybe something like 3 years @ $15M for the best lefty on lefty in the game.

• chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Lopez strikes me as a straight shooter. He was born/raised back East, and has stated the desire to move back there. But, he has also said that he loves playing in SF, would like to return, and would give the Giants the chance to match any offer. I don’t think you can ask for any more from a player. Unless someone severly overpays for him…I expect him to be back in the Orange and Black next year.

13. snarkk said, on November 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

By plenty of accounts, including Sabes own words, Giants management has thrown in the towel in dealing with Pablo on this issue. They’ve left it up to him. I won’t bring up his previous interview where he basically said he’d deal with his weight/conditioning later when he had to. Despite his good play, sometimes great play in the interim times, his words and deeds have proven himself undependable on this issue. If I’m the Giants, I hope he comes back in great shape, plays like gangbusters through mid July, then I trade him for all I can get, instead of letting him walk, or making him a Q offer at the end of 2014. No way I’m giving him 5 years at $90 million or similar, like Pence, with this weight issue that seems so far to be beyond his control. At least I know Pence has a track record of taking his physical conditioning seriously…

• Bozo said, on November 15, 2013 at 10:37 am

Trade him in July? Sorry, but that sounds like we either have someone ready to take his spot or you expect the Giants to be out of the race very early. I’m not buying either of those.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

Snarrk’s cherry picking from Henry’s article-it was far more positive than how he portrays it. From Schulman- “athletic trainer Dave Groeschner said he would have preferred Sandoval to come to Arizona”….and said, ‘Of course. But he can do what he wants and stay out there. It’s fine. I don’t care where he’s at as long as he’s taking care of himself and gets back into shape.'”
      And Henry adds “Sandoval has some good reasons to be in Venezuela. His little girl and many family members live there. Plus, Michael Sandoval told me that Pablo wants to prove to the Giants, by getting fit on his own back home, that he is more mature and has learned from all the mistakes he has made in his career.
      Groeschner said he has spoken to Sandoval once this winter. Also, a Giants minor-league athletic trainer who is working the Venezuelan winter leagues will check in on the Panda now and again to gauge his progress.
      Michael Sandoval tells me Pablo will return to the United States in mid-January and spend a month preparing for spring training.
      The guess here is that Sandoval will be in good shape. That contract drive is a great motivator, and no matter what happened in prior years, Sandoval does have some pride and wants to be a better player. He did drop some pounds while on the DL last season and played better when he returned.”
      BTW, the “walk year” is what got Pagan here and as he’s said, Sabean is a great believer in the walk year as motivator- that’s not just a Panda issue. I won’t go into the very real possibilty, supported by some good evidence, that the “Contract Year Phenomenon” is a myth. It’s too depressing, I’ll leave that up to James, I like a good myth..

• blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

Twin, we all “cherry pick,” including yourself. Regardless, no one can say the Giants are happy with what has transpired over the last few seasons with Pablo and his “happy go lucky” attitude toward his conditioning, and more important, his baseball career. I’m glad to see some news sources reporting him being more serious about his career. I’ll believe it after I see some evidence of that, e.g., minimally 2 consecutive seasons where his conditioning translates to him not being on the DL and playing outstanding baseball for something beyond a one week or month spurt.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Snarkk’s comments were not reflective of what the article actually said. And I properly commented to that effect. But the playing time comments are not furthering the case that he has been hindered in that way by his weight. This year he started about what every regular except Pence did and in the previous two years it was the hamate injuries that resulted in most of his missed time- injuries that not even the most fervent detractor could attribute to his weight. I’ve previously detailed the number of games he’s missed for other injuries and managerial decisions and it doesn’t support that his conditioning has led to any any undue missed time. Maybe this year he SHOULD have submitted to the elbow surgery rather than playing thru it. And I’m sure you recall the many times he was thought to be out for an extended time and he was back in the next day.
        But I’m not saying they or the fans don’t have reason to be concerned, what I am saying, in part, that piling on when the last evidence we have is that he’s trying to get himself in condition, is the wrong time.to be doing it. Fine, “I’ll believe it when I see it” is not out of line. But we’ve already begun to see it. I’ll believe he hasn’t done what he’s promised when I see proof that he hasn’t. In the interim I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. Whether they’ll try to re-sign him is dependent on many factors and it’s total folly to presume that we know what will happen. As I think you have acknowleged.

• snarkk said, on November 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I would say my comments about Giant’s management are entirely appropriate, accurate based on what they’ve said. They’ve thrown in the towel — he’s on his own as an adult to get himself ready to play. I don’t see how Sabe’s words can be interpreted otherwise…

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

He challenged Pablo to come to camp in shape if he wants to stay with the organization. BFD- No problem with that. Pablo has already responded and the rest of the piece is mostly upbeat about the issue. If he wants to get in shape on his own and be with his child- good for him. I suspect most fans are willing to wait three months and see how he’s done. And I think most fans would not begrudge him for wanting to be with his family in the off season.

• blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

Exactly. I agree with everything you said above snarkk. Listen up – the ONLY opinion which matters is Sabes and Giants ownership. Specifically, the Giants say (not Flav, snarkk, Alleykat, or I) that “. . . Sandoval can’t be trusted with regard to his weight/conditioning” and he will probably be cut loose at the end of the season. Whether that happens or not, time will tell. However, no one here knows one way or the other whether Panda will be gone. Personally, I am fed up with Pablo, and although I hope he does well this season, it’s adios afterwards.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

He will be a free agent, he can’t be ‘cut loose’, he will already be loose 😉
        And if we want to address what Sabean said, here’s the entire quote from Henry’s article:
        “The sky’s still the limit and we’re still waiting for that, and it’s up to Pablo,” Sabean said. “We’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly. He’s on the last year of a contract, and that either means stepping up for this organization and *doing enough to want us to keep him here* or to get himself ready for free agency and move on. It’s in his court now. We’ve done everything we could.”
        That is an entirely reasonable position and one that can’t support the contention that they wouldn’t re-sign him regardless of how he performs. Obviously Sabean wouldn’t say that even if that was the thinking but, as you do acknowledge- we don’t know. Personally, and I’ve seen enough thru the years, as I’m sure you have- I’m pretty confident that what Sabean says now now may be totally contrary to what he says later. It’s in the nature of the beast…

• chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Steve – if he walks, tell me who you get to replace him that can produce like he does. I haven’t gone back and looked at his stats through monthly splits, but I would guess you find ups-and-downs in almost any player’s ongoing stats. Bottom line, his lifetime overall stats are right there with all of the top current 3rd basemen. I cannot disagree more with you, snarkk, and some of the others re: this topic. But that’s the beauty of this blog, we can all have our opinions. If Pablo comes in in shape and produces, I am down with an extension. As I said earlier, I would prefer 3/option, but if he does arrive in shape, stays healthy, and puts up numbers near his lifetime averages…3 and an option will not keep him. It will be four/option…if not 5/option.

• blade3colorado said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Chi, that argument is circuitous. If Panda does outstanding next year, he will be asking for a lot of money, right? Now, if they have X amount of money to spend on a gargantuan contract for Sandoval, it follows that the money is still there when they tell him to go find some other chump to play his weight and conditioning games, right?

If you are following, that “X” amount of money can be spent on getting another 3rd baseman, probably as good or better.

In my opinion, Pablo would have to be a choir boy for next season for the Giants to commit ANY future money on him, when he has shown time and time again, he can’t be trusted. I don’t know how you guys do business or run your finances, but I NEVER frequent a business, service, or purchase a product after I have been burned once . . . Similarly, Pablo is a “business” and I wouldn’t frequent that business if my life depended on it.

14. twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

Panda started 138 games, Posey 140, Scooter 124, Belt 132, Crawford 139.. only Pence was an “iron man” among the regulars…there was nothing exceptional either way about Panda’s playing time.

• zumiee said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:05 am

Last year you asserted that Sandoval should eat whatever he wants to because he was the World Series MVP. I guess you’re feeling kind of silly about that now.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:15 am

You’d be better off addressing your many inanities and biases. He had a down year by the standards we expect of him- so did all too many Giants.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

And no, I don’t feel silly. It was a fucking comment made in jest, when he was being trashed by the kind of knowlegeable fan who believed he spent 2009 in Fresno…

• zumiee said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

Whatever. I scroll past most of your stuff anyway.

Enjoy the day, folks.

15. zumiee said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

Oh, comments made in jest. Whatever. You can’t be held accountable for anything you say. Fine.
    I’m outta here for a long while. Too much TF on this blog. He sucks the joy out of things for me.
    Take care, folks.

• snarkk said, on November 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Zum, I hope you decide otherwise and come back from time to time, or more often than that. I like your take on lots of things, and having met you, I’d like to see you stick around…

16. zumiee said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

And, by the way, TF, you’re the one who one time forgot Willie Mays played for the Giants. We all make gaffs on this blog, but of course, yours are always OK.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

“you’re the one who one time forgot Willie Mays played for the Giants. ” As is often is the case with you, that’s a total fabrication.
      And I’m completely accountable for what I say- although I do presume that one is intelligent enough to know the difference between a joke and a serious comment. This has been a reasonable back and forth about the “Panda Issue” which was not furthered by your comment about his playing time- which was in line with that of the other regulars. Have a nice day in the Central Valley- an area that I never disparaged-that was another fabrication from you.
      Now please- scroll, bro, scroll. I’m here for good now.
      grin

• chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I hope you don’t take off for an extended amount of time, Zumie. You, Twin, really, all the regulars here have good stuff to share. Sometimes we disagree, and I think it important for us to all be respectful of one anothers’ views and agree to disagree. To beat each other up over someone’s view, IMO, is just fucking stupid. Everyone brings good stuff to the table. Hopefully, EVERYONE will continue to do so, and can do so even when there are others with whom we disagree. I disagree big-time with Craig, snarkk, and Blade on the Pablo topic, but I respect their view and appreciate that they are here.

Anyway, hope you (and everyone) hangs out for the off-season, 2014, and beyond.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Z is out of control going after my comments. He should stay the fuck away from my comments if he has a problem. If someone said Buster was a child molester he’d ignore that and jump on my case because I said he was too far off the plate on throws from the outfield. Just today, I only only pointed out- totally factually- that Pablo’s playing time in 2013 was in line with the other regulars. I didn’t attack him, call him names, nothing. I calmly ,and without even a reference to his comment, listed the playing time of the other regulars. There was NOTHING to warrant his responses. This has been going on for a long time and he needs to stop it. Period. I *have* been posting a lot lately. I won’t go into the reasons because it’s not relevant- and I think they’ve been some the best content I’ve posted, I’m proud of what I’ve contributed- and others have said- here and privately, that they agree. I’m not to have Z start something that, if history is any indication, will be turned around on me. I’m not going to address this again, he has to care of his misguided animus towards me.

17. unca_chuck said, on November 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

Snarkk, you banking on Arias to take over for Panda? Again, the only reason I think he sticks around is a) He gets himself in shape and b) He’s the best alternative at this point. Buster at 3rd will never happen.

HanRam? Back up the Brinks truck. Llamar Headley? Ehhhhh. Alberto Collapso? Who?

• snarkk said, on November 15, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I’m not banking on anybody to take over for Panda. I thinks folks here that figure Panda will come back in shape, do gangbusters all 2014, and then Sabes will let him walk are a little dizzy. Why would the Giants let Panda go walk after 2014 for nothing (unless they make a Q offer and figure they’ll get a pick) because they’re scared of a LT deal with his weight problem? I think it more likely that if he comes back in shape and plays well through mid summer, they’d trade him before the deadline for as much as they could get for him, and figure out 3rd then…

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Well, maybe if they are out of contention. There’s no way they trade him if they are in the race. IMO.

18. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I think more of the games Pablo missed were NOT weight related as compared to those that were weight related. Hamate bone? Uh, nope. Bone chips in the elbow? Don’t think so.

And go compare Pablo’s stats to any of the current 3rd basemen. He is right there in offensive production. You let him walk, it will cost you as much as it would to sign him, if not more.

19. Bozo said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I want to take a moment to thank Batkid for saving San Francisco. Although, I wouldn’t have minded if you had let the Penguin have his way with Lou Seal.
    Good job Batkid and thanks.

20. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I don’t know clown…we’ve never seen a pissed-off LouSeal. I think my money would be on Lou to bend the Penguin over the dugout railing and have his way with him! 😉

21. twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm

On the last thread Ted asked if anybody saw the last shot of the Warrior game. I looked up just in time from beating my head against the floor to catch it. Wow. Iguodala is a real pro. It wasn’t just the shot, it was how thought it out in 2 seconds and changed the plan when the defender fronted him.

22. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

That was an unreal game (Warriors-Thunder). What a piick-up Iguodala was. Great game and an even better finish.

23. chipower9 said, on November 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I just went back and watched it again. I’m not sure you could guard someone any better than what OKC did on that last shot. Iguodala had to do a fall-away to get clearance for the shot. Monster.

24. twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Chuck, I’ve Emailed to ask about the turntable. It’s been a week now and you haven’t told me what’s going on. If it was damaged or doesn’t function for some reason I can either replace it or help you if I can.

• unca_chuck said, on November 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I’m real busy with life and too many things things going on these last few weekends. I haven’t had time to check it out.

I do know where my albums are, so that’s a start. Likely this weekend I’ll give it a spin.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I’m busy with life too. But I do have time to answer Emails from someone trying to help me. I don’t offer help after a unit has been laying around and the dog has pissed on it.

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I don’t have any emails from you and I don’t know what you’re talking about. Turn table?

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

ah, sorry, I read *Craig* when it said *Chuck*. My bad.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm

We have an agreement about no more Emails which I intend to keep, so that’s one thing you needn’t worry about from me.

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm

thanks.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 5:19 pm

You too, I appreciate it.

25. Irish Kevin said, on November 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Ah the Great Weight of Panda talk. Read most of the comments. and I have to say that Willie nailed it when he said Baseball players don’t have to be in any kind of shape to be effective. And so it is with the Panda, he is what he is. He fields his postions very well. Could he be a GG?? I don’t know enough to say yea or ney. But he is above average in the field if you ask me. And as far as his hitting goes, well I believe that 2012 WS speaks for it self. The other point that has been made is who is in the minors A, AA, AAA that would be good enough to replace him. The Giants can’t even develope a Left Fielder much less replace Pablo. So I say leave him alone, let him conduct his business the way he should.

26. twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm

The idea about Arias as a suitable replacement has been floated around before and while Arias has been a valuable utilty man, the idea of him as an acceptable replacement for Pablo is beyond laughter, beyond FOMCL, beyond ROTFLMAOWPIMP, it is beyond ROTFLMAOWPIMPASOTR…Look ’em up. You might not see the last part of the last acronym-it’s “and shitting on the rug”…

27. twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I’ve done a new thread, if that’s a problem it can be deleted of course.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Predominately anti-Pablo today- Snarkk, Blade, Z, Kat
      Predominately pro-Pablo today- Willie, Bozo, Twinfan, Chi, Dirt, Stix, Chuck, Kevin

Not a poll, just FYI.

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm

The new thread was deleted by me, the author.

• foothillsryan said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Did you trade Pablo to the White Sox for Gordon Beckham today?

• Flavor said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:28 pm

if I say yes will it increase or decrease this repetitive question?

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:49 pm

No, the Astro’s beat us to it. They got Beckham for Matt Dominguez.

28. Alleykat said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Well for your information Twin,Dominguez has alot more value to me in the future then Pablo will have.Flappers just don’t get how much this young stud would bring to this team.Yeah I will stay in on the “Castaway Island” ,alone but like lve said he is gonna being a top “Producuing” player for years and won’t miss games because of BS injuries every Fuckin year like Pablo.159 games fo Domininquez. Book it every year.Pablo lucky to get 130 next year. Hamstring’s ,Foot,Weight, whatever he will “Breakdown” like the last 3 years years.I predicted shitty # last year and he proved me right!

• twinfan1 said, on November 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Yeah, their value to you is the important thing all right. But look,I’m fine with him having a great year, it won’t be here, though. I’m just helping with a reality check- and as is pretty obvious- if they share your enthusiasm, he ain’t going nowhere- you don’t trade All-Star Studs when they have control for 5 more years.

• foothillsryan said, on November 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Switch it up. Pablo for Middlebrooks and some of that custom bubble gum wrapped chew.

I discovered that I “want” the Giants to sign Kalle Bloomquist and Jacoby Ellsbury.

29. Alcohol Rehabilitation in Alaska said, on December 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I think this is one of the most vital information
    for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The web site style is ideal,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers