A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Keeping Track of Old *Friends*

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 18, 2013

El Presidente just signed a minor league deal with the Cubs. I hope Eli Whiteside thanks the baseball gods each and every night for the continued and ongoing gift bestowed by them of getting to play professional baseball year in and year out. He’s 34, including his world series shares from ’10 and ’12 he’s made close to 3 million dollars in his career. Plus all the meal money. πŸ™‚ Still, the last time he hit over .200 at the mlb level was 2010. Last year he played for about 37 different organizations, ending with Texas for 67 games where he hit .187 at triple A. So of course it makes sense that Chicago offered him a contract….

Speaking of ex-Giants, the Refrigerator Mover, Randy Messenger, just re-signed with a team in Japan. He’s 34…..

*El Presidente* and *The Refrigerator Mover*— 2 of the great nicknames generated by Flap vets……

1. Nipper said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:09 am

Make the coffee strong Willie D! I am. Watching the dawn come up. Those that sleep in lose out. Bravo to the Cubs. They have a good man.

2. willedav said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:40 am

“Bravo to the Cubs”??? Nip, you’re killing me. A lady that used to work with me who grew up in Minnesota has a number of great grand kids (as in chuck and sandawg’s kids being grandparents) and is still alive, but she still wasn’t born last time Cubs won the WS. I think the last time they were even in one was 1945. Tho I think picking up ex-Texas Rangers now brings the same curse as ex-Cubs used to.
    I think Flav is responsible for one of my fav Flap generated names—-a player getting *Garkoed*.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:48 am

Yeah, Ryan didn’t work out too well, did he? He was supposed to be an upgrade to Ishikawa and slug us into the postseason in 2009.Something about SF didn’t agree with him- within a couple weeks he would be arriving at the ballpark looking like he slept in a hollow tree trunk in Golden Gate Park. Bochy, who originally had declared that the Garkmeister would play everday, abandoned that notion quickly, and his playing time diminished steadily. In September he got 9 starts and drove in zero runs. It was a trade lauded by many experts-Yahoo Sports called it a great trade. The problem was that the experts failed to look at some troubling numbers- Garko should only have been expected to be an upgrade offensively against left handers and he was a poor defender- On this deadline deal, Sabean was indeed “Garkoed”…

3. willedav said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:43 am

Not to mention the Prez’ defense was sometimes worse than his offense. flems and Miller used to wonder about balls bouncing off his glove that were called strikes by home plate ump.
    Do guys still do shit to pitchers like give them the baseball card of some chump hitter who took them deep?
    Didn’t the Prez hit a few in last year here?

4. twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:48 am

As one of the few who pointed out the folly of Eli being on the Giants in the first place, I also be happy to be one of the those who are delightedthat he continues to find employment in the game he loves. There are few good hitting catchers at the major league level, let alone the minors. But until Robo-Catchers become a reality the hundreds of minor league pitchers are still going to need guys to catch them. Sincere congrats to Eli,Vern,and Vera for keeping Ambrosia Salad on a game spread for another year…

5. Alleykat said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:31 am

Off topic but I’m still steamed about the 49er/Saints game.
    That freakin call on Ahmad Brooks was ridiculous. It was the turning point, and a sure victory.
    Quote from Brooks after the game: “Football now is just a watered down sport”
    Couldn’t agree more.When you can’t hit a QB on his shoulder pads this game is no longer about what the sport should be about.
    That crew of Refs should be fined and not allowed to Ref next week.

• Flavor said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:51 am

it was an absurd call. If that’s a rule they should just change all the rules now. Play two hand touch or flag football.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

Well, the initial hit was kosher, but I’m not sure the strangulation hold is legal outside of the WWE, however. 196 yards total offense was what beat us, not the refs. IMO.

6. twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 9:48 am

No doubt that some calls for illegal hits on the QB are questionable at best. It’s in the nature of the beast that given the speed with which these plays unfold there are going to be errors. There should be replay on these illegal hit calls. But the rules were needed in light of the hundreds of players whose lives were ruined due to the nearly criminal denials of the evidence that inarguably proved the long term damage so many players suffered while the NFL fiddled and brains fried.
    And no- the argument that the players “signed on” for this doesn’t wash. No one signed on to have the NFL conceal the dangers of concussions and rush concussed players back onto the field, often within minutes. Since the league has settled the lawsuit filed by 4500 ex-players, we may never get to find out what the league’s “Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee” actually did, a committee headed for a decade by….. a *rheumatologist.*

• Alleykat said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:07 pm

The Refs don’t make that call against any other QB not named Brees,Manning,and Brady.
      They will get every call and protection from the Refs.Remember the Tuck game Twin?
      Same BS, costing the Raiders a SB appearance.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Kat- Please. Every QB in the league has been protected from illegal hits– some of them questionable calls. And sorry, that tuck play doesn’t doesn’t support the notion that only “elite” QBs are protected. It supports that the rule was a bad one and that refs make bad calls and bad no calls- against all teams, all the time.
      We lost yesterday because we gained 196 total yards, because Harbaugh blew time outs making challenges that Stevie Wonder could see wouldn’t be overturned, because Gore dropped a sure TD pass, because Baldwin was playing in a different game than the rest of the guys, Osgood was Os-Bad… etc. As is in baseball, SF 49er fans are seen as big baby whiners by rest of the country, led by the Head Whiner- coach Harbaugh, who should tell the guys to shut up and get to work unless they want to watch the postseason from their couches..
      Hey- I loved your 8:59 on the last thread, BTW..

7. blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 11:12 am

That call was only correct if the hit was on Merton Hanks. πŸ˜‰

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

Good one.

• Chipower9 said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Bahaha…good one, Blade…

• blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 3:33 pm

πŸ˜‰

8. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

Well, beyond the fact that it’s ludicrous to pin this on shit that happened up to decades ago, and yeah, the NFL is, was, are, and will be in full-blown denial mode forever on this issue, they might as well make sacks illegal. They might as well go 2-hand touch on the QBs.

This bullshit by the league is all lip service to keep the lawyers at bay. And if that play happened to Kaepernick yesterday, I’d say there would be an 80% chance the flag isn’t thrown. Why? 2 reasons. One- Kappy’s a running QB, and B) it was in New Orleans.

If they want to enforce helmet to helmet rules, then those hits should be reviewable. And if those are reviewable, then calls like yesterday’s should be reviewable as well. I see at least 4-5 helmet to helmet hits a game that don’t get called. College now does that. They’ve overturned ejections and penalties based on video replay on helmet to helmet hits.

Why not outlaw down blocking? Linemen still get their knees blown out by legal down blocks.

9. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Based on what I saw yesterday, the ‘correct’ place to hit a QB is smaller than the strike zone. You can’t hit below the waist (the Brady rule), you can’t hit the head (Deacon Jones rule), and now the upper shoulder pad region (the Ahmad Brooks rule) is now off limits as well.

So, you have a 12″ area from the waist to somewhere under the armpits to properly hit the QBs.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

He *did* hit him on the chin. But whatever- I agree that the calls should be reviewable ( yesterday’s would have been upheld (IMO) because last I checked the chin is a little bit above the shoulder pads unless you’re a 340 lineman.) I don’t know what you mean by the “bullshit by the league”- if that bullshit is the attempt to protect players from long term damage to their brains- shit away, NFL. Chuck, this isn’t just about what happened decades ago, it’s protecting players who are in even more danger now due to the bigger, faster players in the league today.And the concussion protocols are a result of the increased awareness of the dangers of rushing concussed players back on the field. Surely you don’t disagree with the protocols now in place. So certainly there should be replays of the calls like yesterday’s, in fact I’d be in favor of all “illegal hit” calls being reviewed- but the rules are needed. Did you watch the KC/Denver game? Hard, tough hits are hardly a thing of the past- football is hardly becoming a sissy game or in danger of becoming “no touchie”. I don’t think the new rules are wrong, they just to be reviewed to be certain that they’re applied correctly. Again- IMO.

• unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Brees tucked his chin down before impact. It was Brees’ own fault.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm

“It was Brees’ own fault.” POTC.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

If the NFL was concernd about safety, they would do away with Thursday Night football. Cha-ching! Not gonna happen. They more than anything want to give the appearance of ‘due-diligence’ where it comes to concussions. The pay-off, and now these random penalties and fines? Yes. it’s better than it was. But it still isn’t much more than the appearance of propiety. Have they let independent physicians on the field to assess in-game issues? No. How did Terrelle Pryor get back into a game after being concussed?

If they really wanted to take the violence out of the game (and gee, would that hurt the product?), they’d do more than the window-dressing they currently have now. Review helmet to helmet hits. Fine and suspend and yes, ban repeat offenders if they are truly serious. Make the fines $100,000 to $500,000 instead of the ticky-tacky nature of a $10,000 fine.

Unfortunately, the union won’t allow this to happen in a meaningful way. So, we get half-assed crap. You cannot take the danger out of the game. They might as well stop the game entirely. In the 2o’s players died on the field fairly regularly. Equipment has improved to the point that these guys feel invincible. RIghtly and wrongly. You get praised for the bone-jarring hit that casues a fumble. You get all over ESPN for your deeds. You get banged up and hurt doing the job. Yes, they DO take on the inherent risk of possible serious injury. Look at the X-Games. A kid last year died trying to do a flip on a snowmobile. Dirtbikers and snowboarders are routinely paralyzed doing that stuff. Where’s their protection? Oh yeah. They are free-lance. Football players at least have a union to nominally protect them. Even if as they deny donating 1% of their gazillions to help older players in distress.

It’s like baseball and steroids. For every latest bust, Bud grins and says, “look how good our testing is!” Uh, no, Bud. It means your game is still dirty as hell.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Well, if you’re trying to make my case, you’re doing a good job.

11. Macdog said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I just heard on NYC sports station that Hudson to the Giants 2Y/$23M.

• Macdog said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

And now seeing it on Twitter.

• Flavor said, on November 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Yup. Heyman reporting it too

12. Irish Kevin said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Going for Grandpa’s again I see. Do the Giants ever look at a FA that is under the age of 35??

13. twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Arroyo and Hudson were 1-2 in Flavor’s poll and Hudson was one of my calls on who I thought they’d sign- Arroyo was the other. I think Hudson is a good signing- but one that needs other acquistions to make it a *great* signing. But my goodness, even with Zito gone we’re putting a lot of money into what’s still an iffy group. Poor MadBum, if we sign a five he’ll be worst paid starter on the team. I expect snot rocket production to soar in 2014…

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Bumgarner will make 3.75 million in 2014. But hang in there, Madison- in 2017 you’ll make what Hudson will make in 2014. Yeah, I know that MadBum accepted that contract willingly but I’m still surprised that I haven’t heard anything about the team sweetening it. He’s not human if he isn’t getting a bit frosted.

14. salty said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Like the Hudson move for just 2 yrs. Now get Haren for 1+1 and they should rock.
    Never could stand Arroyo with that pansy leg kick anyway πŸ˜‰

15. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:29 pm

My point Mike is that the NFL is doing bupkis to really do anything meaningful regarding player safety. It’s all window-dressing to keep the lawyers at bay.

Not that they are doing a good job, as you say.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I understand and respect your opinion, Chuck.

16. Del Mar Dennis (@DelMarDennis) said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

First they give $35M for Timmy, now 23 for Huddy? Jesus H. Christ. I’m 47, left-handed and can throw a ball 60′ 6″. That’s gotta be worth at least $2M in the Giants’ book.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I went to throw Zeke’s ball yesterday afternoon and it went backwards. Really, it just blooped out of my hand and landed 6 feet behind me. I’m the Steve Sax of Dog Ball Tossers.. I’ll take 100 grand..

17. Macdog said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Not crazy about Hudson, admittedly because he was on my fantasy team and he had a rough early stretch that included getting knocked around by the Giants. But Hudson did seem to turn around his season before the gruesome injury vs. the Mets. And I’ll defer to Sabes and Co.’s expertise, especially with regards to pitchers. Now we have two Timmys to pull for.

• blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Yeah, I was reticent about him too Mac. Surprised that the papers are describing last year’s ERA (3.97) as good, solid, etc. WTF? However, his WHIP of 1.19 definitely is outstanding. His age scares me. I keep thinking Randy Johnson and his last year here. Regardless, you can’t argue with his record of consistent success (again, I keep thinking Randy Johnson. πŸ˜‰ ).

• Macdog said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Yeah, Hudson’s ERA was 5.37 in late May, so he was able to knock it down a bit over the next two months.

• Chipower9 said, on November 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I think his WHIP is much more important that the ERA stat.

As Blade said, overall WHIP last year of 1.19. By month last year:
        April: 1.200
        May 1.481
        June 1.041
        July 1.103

Lifetime: 1.233

Now go get Arroyo or Haren.

• blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Excellent point Mac. After snapping a career-worst 10-game winless streak with a 13-4 victory July 6 at Philadelphia, Hudson went 4-0 with a 3.10 ERA in his last four starts. That last part is good news for the Giants, as it means he was hot recently. I would hate to sign a guy that lost his last 10 starts at the end of the season.

By the by, did you end up trading or waiving him on your fantasy league team, before the good fortune occurred? πŸ˜‰

• Macdog said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Blade, I came very close to dropping him, but as you said he has a record of consistency, so I stuck with him.

• blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Good deal Mac. Been there, done that.

18. blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Admittedly, I was against this trade at the beginning of the Hot Stove season. Fast forward a couple of weeks ago, I was down with this signing in lieu of the alternatives (I did not want “once in a blue moon” good season Arroyo or Nolasco). Realistically, Hudson at least has a history of success, despite his upcoming eligibility for social security. Out of all the other options, I am down with this.

I hope this doesn’t mean the Giants are done. I don’t like the Voggie resigning, even at a reduced rate. I hope they make a play for lefty Scott Kazmir. One can dream I suppose . . . πŸ˜‰

19. Macdog said, on November 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm

First Zito, now Hudson. So what’s Mulder up to these days?

20. Alleykat said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Well we all know Tanaka won’t be coming here.
    Ok with Hudson if his medical issue clears up.Atleast its the foot not the arm.
    Would prefer Arroyo over Hardness even though Arroyo is 4 years older, he has proven to be durable, logging 9 straight years over 200 innings.Haren has not and would probably breakdown.

21. unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Here’s a gif of the hit. Nowhere does Brooks strike Brees’ chin.

DrewBreesNeckSuperSloMo

Like I said. Replay the bitch. It would have been overturned.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 2:19 pm

That’s not the entirety of the hit- and Brees’ head went down only after contact. What got Brooks penalized is not just not the initial hit, but the whole thing, most of which is not shown here. As I said, I respect your opinion but I’ll go with Mike Pereira on this one.

• unca_chuck said, on November 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm

He does look like Yertle the Turtle for a moment there as his neck stretches out , , ,

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Chuck- Well, I know it’s not enough to warrant a penalty but I’d say he does look a *tad* uncomfy…
        Seriously, I can see why the penalty was called but I could also see if was not called. And I definitely can understand why the Niners were upset, it was a crucial call late. They do need to add those plays to those that are reviewed automatically.
        Now they need to kick it into high gear- and the Pats game tonight against Carolina is one of the few times to root for the Mumbler’s team. The Redskins on the road is no gimme, as bad as their record is the Falcons are still dangerous, and it’s possible that the last game of the regular season at AZ could be a fight for a WC spot.
        My guess- 4 and 2 the rest of the way and the 6th seed.

22. Alleykat said, on November 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Never cared for Randy Messenger.
    He looked like a total idiot wearing his baseball cap.
    Dude took it right out of the box, no crease on the bill, looked like a flat plate on his head.Probably had the price tag tucked inside as well.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I seem to recall that ever so briefly he looked like closer material when he came here. Then after a slow decline, the refrigerator fell on him September..

23. stixwiz said, on November 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Word on the street is that Hudson is working on a new pitch, calculated to induce a higher percentage of grounders. Calls it the Terraplane. His uncle Henry, from Half Moon Bay has been helping in the development.

24. Flavor said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Huddy pitched very well last year, that was a huge hit for Atlanta when he went down. Now I’m glad he went down, less wear and tear on his arm for going into 2014.
    I haven’t checked his ATT splits yet but I’m assuming they’re good. Great signing.

• snarkk said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Yep, we gain two wins for the season for not having to face him…

25. gianthead said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm

First of all, I had tried to tell my 14 year old about about Merton Hanks a few weeks ago and could not properly describe the neck dance…so that was an awesome post Twin. He enjoyed it.

Not only am I still steaming about the Niner game, extremely bummed about Stanford losing and likely blowing the Orange Bowl. Very frustrating.

Well I guess the early analysis is that the Hudson deal is a relative bargain. Seems like it precludes a deal for an OF….

26. snarkk said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Hudson, as I and others predicted. But, the two years, if it is that, is one year too long, if it’s a 2 + 1 option. It makes too much sense. Older than Methuselah+coming off injury+Pay him a ton = Perfect Giants signing. He’ll probably do around .500, which, hey, isn’t bad. He’s got competitive fire, so that’s a plus for the clubhouse. Just don’t give him Zito’s locker. That thing should be on infinite lockdown, or removed and the area sterilized for the 82 mph fastball virus…

• stixwiz said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Both Braves and Boston were among Hudson’s suitors. Reason he signed with SF was that Giants were willing to give him two years. Braves had already offered him a one yr. In the case of the Giants this is only money and the team is rich. Owners even richer. Were it not for the ankle injury, even at his age, a hurler of Hudson’s quality would have fetched a bunch more.

Though a calculated gamble on a non-arm injury, we can look it like this. It is more than slightly likely that at least one of the San Jose Five will be ready to join the Rotation by ’15. Plus both Petit and Surkamp are currently available in a holding-pattern. So in a way SF may be wildly overpaying for a year’s probable service. Flipside of that is that Hudson brings another Championship-experienced arm to the staff and if healthy should be able to contribute a bunch of innings with scads of ground-ball outs. There could also develop a synergy among the four starters where they build off each others’ energies and clubhouse presence. If all four are on their game and the #5 is even a .500 hurler, Giant strides could be possible.

Giants starters had major problems with road games in bandbox stadiums. Hudson’s ability to keep the ball mostly on the ground could nip many a potential bad trip right in the bud. Opposing hitters looked forward to facing the SF Rotation this past season. The addition of Hudson and the seeming resurgence of Lincecum could have a most salutary effect on Cain, who had his most miserable season. The possible intangibles go on and on. Good move.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

can we make the last sentence POTD?

27. gianthead said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hudson’s numbers coming to a pitcher’s park is going to improve his numbers and would expect his ground-ball rate will be devastating at ATT. Plus being the fourth starter, he is going to shine against other 4s.

We need a bat for left…

28. twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Well, if every thing goes as the Giant office thinks/hopes it will with MadBum, Cain, and Timmy, Hudson would be the 4. Now what is the consensus here: will they pick up another starter or sign Vogie at a reduced salary and have him compete with Petit and Surkamp for the 5? Olney says they’re still looking for another starting pitcher (with Vogie in the picture as that 5) and the ever elusive LFer.

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 18, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I like Hudson. Saw him pitch in the game I attended last year in Atlanta. He’s gutsy, smart, competitive. I like his whole approach to pitching. I like Arroyo too, not least because he is such a good hitter and fielder in addition to his pitching skills.

• snarkk said, on November 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm

We could use a good fielding pitcher. He might be the first one on the staff. Maybe he can show Tim how to hold a runner on first. That would be a plus, too…

30. salty said, on November 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Cost of rotation now at 52.75m
    Bum…3.75
    Cain….20
    Tim……17
    Huddy…12

Last yr it was about 63
    Bum 750k
    Cain 15
    Tim 22,
    Zits 20
    Vogel 5
    Should be some wiggle room for a good 5.

31. snarkk said, on November 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Maybe El Presidente will bring the luck of the ultimate career minor leaguer needed to remove the dreaded goat curse from Wrigley…

32. twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 6:28 pm

A possible sign that they may settle for an internal choice for the 5 is that they just signed Caleb Clay to a minor league deal. He had good numbers between AA and AAA in the Nat’s system last year- 5-2 2.49 ERA 14 BB 51 K 0.988 WHIP in 83 innings at AAA. I’d expect that he’ll be invited to camp.. He’s 25 YO.
    Also signed to a minor league deal was Guillermo Quiroz. Sabes didn’t want to be outdone by the Cubbies..

33. stixwiz said, on November 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

One of the intangibles i alluded to earlier is that second year. If he’s still got it by then its all to the good. If there’s a bit of slippage, but not extreme, he may still have a positive effect on whomever of the San Jose Five makes the 25-man in the Spring of ’15 similar to the one Randy Johnson had on the younger hurlers when he was with the Giants. Fitting for a guy with a Dutch surname, he’s an Old Master. Hudson could be the perfect role-model for Crick, Escobar, or whoever gets the call.

Front office and scouts must have done their due diligence on Huddy’s medical status. If that ankle is all good to go by mid-March or so AND if Hudson maintains anything close to elite status he may transition the Rotation from highly suspect to formidable, to say nothing of being one helluva bargain at less than $12M per. The relatively low cost for what high-end starting pitchers are getting these days suggests SF still has F.A. cash to afford a pretty decent option for L.F.

Sabean strikes again.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm

The question is who’s a pretty good option once you past the Choos and Ellsburys. Lots of gambles and reclamation projects.

34. blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Right now, I think Hudson is our number 2 based upon last year’s season record (versus Matt and Tim).

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I agree based on 2013 numbers, but it might not a real good thing if it shakes out like that. I’m pretty sure Sabean hopes Matt and Timmy make Hudson the 4.

35. blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Just my opinion, but without knowing how this is going to pan out next season, I think this was one of the best acquisitions Sabean has ever made. Quite a few teams wanted Hudson. In fact, CBS reported that 15 teams were interested in his services, including the Red Sox, Orioles, Indians and of course, the Braves. I’m impressed that Sabes was able to secure him at (what I perceive to be) a relative bargain. Equally important, if the reports are true, the 2 year contract hits the “sweet spot” for how long I like pitching contracts to last.

Addendum – Keith Law said this was a “steal and bargain” as well. Conversely, he thought we overpaid for Timmy.

• twinfan1 said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I like the acquistion , I just hope Matt and Timmy are so good that they make Hudson the 4.

36. blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I get your drift. I think the entire pitching staff needs to do well, where they fall insofar as 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 isn’t as important as the staff doing collectively better than 12th in the league, as they did last season. They need to be one of the top 4 or 5 staffs in the NL next season. I am under no illusions that they will match the Dodgers pitching staff. They wont. Being number 4 or 5 in the NL will suffice.