A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

RIP Michael Weiner

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 21, 2013

I didn’t know a lot about Michael Weiner. Donald Fehr turned me off to anyone who led that union. I heard he had inoperable brain cancer a few months ago, didn’t think much of it. But over the last hour I have read several articles about what an amazing person he was. He was 51.

I didn’t think a single thing about baseball immediately after I heard that he had died. I thought about his 3 daughters. I googled around a bit to find out how old they are but didn’t find their ages. I didn’t google too hard, it would have probably just bummed me out. I can’t imagine what it would be like to leave my only daughter behind much less 3 of them.

Lots of players are tweeting about this, their condolences and sadness seems genuine. But if this guy was as awesome as everyone says he was, I just keep wondering what his kids must be feeling tonight. Sounds like they just lost the best dad in the world.

Ken Rosenthal wrote a piece about him today. I guess they were friends or had become friends. He started the article by saying he was introduced to Weiner by player’s agent who said “He is the smartest, fairest, kindest person you will ever meet.” He ended the article with this: “That agent from many years ago had it right. Michael Weiner was the smartest, fairest kindest person I’ve ever met. And there isn’t even a close second.”

When you read something like that you should feel disappointed that you didn’t know this man. At least, I did. And I can’t shake the feeling tonight of how sad his 3 daughters are tonight. I can only imagine how devastated he was to leave his family so early, so unexpectedly. ANd if he’s anything like he sounds like he was, he was most devastated for them….

1. snarkk said, on November 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I’m older than Weiner. I’ve had scrapes with major surgery and health issues, and still wrestle with some health bullshit. I don’t take any day for granted. With two Snarkkettes, I enjoy them as much as I can, and do what I can with them in the time I reasonably have. This weekend, we’re headed for Yosemite for a few days, they’ve never been. We’ll ice skate in the Valley, go to Glacier Point, see the Ahwahnee, and just hang and enjoy one of the most astoundingly beautiful places on Earth. Hopefully, now there will be snow above, up in the high elevations, a nice blanket of white. Life is short, so don’t futz around. Live it every day…

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 6:15 am

Agree snarkk. Massages with happy endings help too.

• Chipower9 said, on November 22, 2013 at 8:13 am

Good stuff. I try to identify something (outside of waking in the morning and kicking my feet out of bed) for which I am grateful. Agree…life is short and there are no guarantees.

I knew very little about Michael Weiner, but after reading the comments you shared from Ken Rosenthal, sounds like he was a special human being. Wishing his daughters, family, and friends peace and comfort during this time of loss.

RIP.

2. Chipower9 said, on November 22, 2013 at 8:16 am

Going back to yesterday’s thread (I was catching-up with the last posts), and I could not find anything on CSNBA’s revenues, but did see where the Giants have a 30+ percent stake. And I did find where the Giants had revenues of $300 mil last year.

That compounded with the fact that Charles Johnson is the wealthiest owner in baseball, I would think the Giants could pony-up for a fifth starter (not named Vogelsong) and a LFer.

But, I am thankful for the moves the team has made. The Giants have been one of the more active franchises…and I am sure there is more to come. The question is the quality of what is left to come.

3. Chipower9 said, on November 22, 2013 at 8:17 am

Here is the link to the article where the Giants revenues are discussed, and also the fact that they were valuated at over 1 billion, too.

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2013 at 10:19 am

Surprise. The Giants are decidedly not poor. They can afford a real LFer. And, they can afford to upgrade their farm system and international scouting to finally get a consistent pipeline going of good, young MLB capable position players, especially OFers…

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 11:01 am

Good article and especially, the video. Forgot the Japanese guy’s name (Tim ?), but he is absolutely right about the fans wanting something in return (a frickin’ left fielder, etc.) for the coin we are dropping on game tickets, parking, Panda hats, beer, garlic fries, etc., etc., etc..

Those fucking crab sandwiches aren’t cheap either. 😉

4. Alleykat said, on November 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

Enjoy the weekend at Yosemite Snarkk with Mrs Snarkk and the Snarkkettes!
    Yosemite is a fantastic place any season to go.I still remember camping at Camp Curry as a kid and watching the “Firefall” show at night where the park/ Rangers would light bails of hay over a dried out falls creating a awesome firewall.They banned it in 68-69 for safety reasons, Still remember that awesome time in the memory banks.

5. Chipower9 said, on November 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

Enjoy Yosemite with your family, Tom. Agree…one of the most beautiful places in the world…and we’re really blessed to have it here in our backyard.

6. snarkk said, on November 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

At 10:30 Pacific time today, it will be exactly 50 years ago that JFK was shot. Why and ultimately by whom may never be known. I won’t dwell on it, other than to say that for those of us alive at the time, it was a dark day never to be forgotten, a four-day period that shook our lives and our country. I was 6, I remember it well. It especially hit me hard because I had seen him in person the year before. Oracle’s blog covers it today, so if you have a memory or comment, go there. Obviously, it changed our country forever, in many ways unknowable; but ways IMO that set us on a wrong, descending course we have been on ever since. Assassination is an official, clinical word. He was murdered in front of us all…

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 22, 2013 at 11:57 am

I too was moved by the Weiner obits. He said any day he could find meaning, beauty, and joy in life was a good day. Can’t argue with that. Sometimes it is only one of those. All else is gravy.

8. Alleykat said, on November 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Cards trade 3B David Freese and Reliever Fernando Salas to the Angels for OF Peter Boujous and ML Randall Grichut.
    Advantage Cards to me.
    There gonna lose Beltran and their need the speed Boujous provides to compensate for Holiday and Jay and others.
    Freese though the 2011 MVP has really declined IMO and maybe just needed a fresh start .

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Forgot about Bourjous, who has been odd man out for his entire career at Anaheim. Never really given a chance to shine with the crowded outfield (Hunter, Trout, and the others escape my memory). He is a gold glove caliber center fielder and is a plus offensive player – again, if given an opportunity to shine. Jay is now odd man out on the Cardinals. Sheesh, this is the type of guy the Giants could have traded for. Bourjous was outstanding in 2011.

9. snarkk said, on November 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Chuck, yeah Ford was on it, and LBJ appointed a guy named Allen Dulles as one of the main members of the Warren Commission. He was ex Director of the CIA. Kennedy had fired him from that post after the Bay of Pigs debacle. Funny how you’d appoint a guy to investigate the murder of the boss that fired him, particularly when there was so much speculation even then re: whether the murder itself was a CIA black ops job…

10. Flavor said, on November 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Jhonny Peralta is seeking 56-75 million. If this dude gets half of the lowest end of that I declare his buyer to be a fucking dundering, bumbling, dunderhead. I predicted his steroid use earlier this year in a main thread btw, before he got busted. It was a fairly easy line to draw from the sudden increase in his production at his (reported) age of 31.
    Who are the steroid position players guys in free agency right now? Peralta, Cruz and…someone else? All a GM has to do is look at that stupid ass 2 year/16 mil deal Melky got from Toronto to decide which way to go on these guys…..
    It’ll be funny to see what they ultimately get……

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm

That is insane. Unless somebody pays it. Then it’s certifiably insane…

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

by the way Snarkk, I have read almost zero on the JFK conspiracy stuff, never saw the movie, never spent much time thinking about it having not lived close to the time period. If you were to recommend one book on this topic, what would it be? Zumie, feel free to chime in here (or Blade or anyone else who has an opinion on it)

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I can’t recommend one, probably thousands of books on this. Although I’ve read that “Reclaiming History” by Vince Bugliose, the former LA Dist Atty that prosecuted Manson, it pretty good. He concludes that only Oswald did it. So of course he’s been attacked by conspiracy crowd. I’ve just read articles from time to time, as my interest has waxed and waned and “new” evidence has come out. Years ago I read quite a bit of the actual Warren Commission report. Now, it’s free and online. http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/chapter-5.html#interrogation It’s dry to a great extent, and reasonable people can argue about what’s in and not in it. But, as a baseline review of the event and aftermath, “it is what it is” and serves as a point of reference for comparing conspiracy theories from the subsequent books…

11. Flavor said, on November 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Speaking of deals I now wish we had partaken in, I’m a little bummed that the Mets got Chris Young for a paltry 7.5 mil. Shit, this dude has been very nearly a 30/30 guy twice and he’s fantastic defensively. True, the low BA is a drag but his BABIP was .237 last year. Considering we have Gregor Blanco currently starting in LF, I would have thrown 2 years at Young in a second and don’t forget, when he does hit HR’s they are monsters. He woulda been fine at ATT

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Agree. I would have been down with that easily. I also would have been down on that trade for Bourjos. Isn’t it weird how the Cards and Angels seem to always trade with each other (e.g., Pujols).

12. blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm

“They Killed Our President: 63 Reasons To Believe There Was A Conspiracy To Assassinate JFK” by Jesse Ventura with Dick Russell and David Wayne. Ventura is heavily influenced by Col. Fletcher Prouty (this dude is credible) and openly praises him – particularly the latter’s insight into U.S. military armament maneuvers immediately after World War II which may have set the stage for both the Korean War and Vietnam conflict. Gov. Ventura’s book is the most user-friendly and I have yet to see anyone in any of Gov. Ventura’s riveting media appearances withstand his research and arguments. He spreads 63 arguments across 4 sections – The Evidence; The Cover-Up; The Witnesses; and The Why, Who and How – in a lucid manner. Flav, whatever you may think of Jesse Ventura, he makes a compelling argument and it’s my suggestion this is the best book to start for a combination of breadth and depth on the subject.

13. stixwiz said, on November 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Was in a basement poolhall on a grey morning in Kansas City 50 years ago today when the news came over the radio. Everyone there stood around in a state of shock. Days later i was staying with a friend in Topeka, watching the news live beamed from the courthouse in Dallas and saw the underworld figure Jack Rubenstein Ruby gun down Oswald. The fix was in.

There was almost a waiting list of people with a hard-on vs. JFK. Joint Chiefs were pissed cause he shut down their Operation Northwoods which was about killing innocent Americans so we could make war on Cuba. Both the military brass (and the WarDefense Industry were on his case cussin onaccounta he refused military backup for the CIA’s Bay of Pigs op vs Castro. Two of the ships bringing in the rebels were the Zapata and the Barbara (Zapata Energy Corporation was Daddy WarBush’s oil operation) and maybe you have heard of Barbara of he “beautiful mind” who is alleged to be the natural daughter of Aleister Crowley and all his Satanic majesty’s crawliness. Daddy WarBush was photographed as a CIA case director in Dallas that day.

The nasty old drag quean, J. Edna Hoover, who had the dirt on just about everyone who was anyone as head of the FBI was due for retirement the next year and already knew JFK would give him the axe. He was big buds, though, with LBJ. Israel didn’t like Kennedy because he did not allow them near any access to bomb plans or enriched uranium.

Biggest player, however, was the clan which owns the Federal Reserve System (note the eye above the pyramid on the $1 Fednote). JFK had signed off on Executive Order #10001 which ordered the printing of $2 United States notes backed by the silver holdings of the U.$. Treasury. LBJ, as his first act on the plane from Dallas to D.C., cancelled the E.O. and ordered the recall and destruction of the same form of currency which Abe Lincoln had authorized 100 years earlier, Constitutionally lawful government-backed banknotes.

Friend of mine who had 32 hits as a sniper in Nam as a four-tour Navy Seal got to talking with some of his cohorts a few years back. One of his pals years later checked out that 6th floor window in the Texas School Depository building and noted the odd deflection angle to fire with a bolt-action rifle to the street where the limo was proceeding. The bunch of them agreed that none of them could pull off three accurate shots in the time available with even the best of high-grade sniper rifles and scopes ~ to say nothing of a mail-order $9.95 Italian Mannlicher-Carcano.

So we know the identity of the silenced patsy and we know the identities of several interested parties. Suspects abound. The Warren Report was a smoke and mirrors coverup job. Who dun it? Maybe it was a bit of a group effort. All we know was that the hit on JFK ensured that we would get into the Vietnam War (which Kennedy was about to drop before we got in too deep) and that our country is as close to becoming a police state as Germany was in, say, 1934. JFK was in the way.

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm

If anyone knows his shit about thinking outside the box, Stix is the man . . . He knows about all of these alternative explanations (conspiracies), regardless of the subject, e.g., assassination, gold standard, Illuminati and other “hidden” groups, Denver airport, Area 51, etc.

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Is it any wonder that he lives off the grid in the Minnesota wilderness? 😉

• Flavor said, on November 23, 2013 at 5:51 am

fascinating, fantastic take. I feel like I just read a book on this subject, thanks.

14. unca_chuck said, on November 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I had no idea Gerald Ford was on the Warren Commission. I remember a movie that came out on the 15th anniversary of the assassination. They went through the Zapruder film frame by frame and interviewed the remaining witnesses and the like. Can’t remember the name of it.