Another Barrier to Break Down

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 11, 2014

I just read a post from our friend MacDog on the last thread. He just watched 42. I offered a quick follow up post. It got me to thinking about Michael Sam Jr. While not quite the same thing, it’s the same ballpark as the color barrier being broken in major league baseball in 1947.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this. It’s just a thought and we needed a new thread. I share a lot of the same feelings as other people, I admire his courage to do this. I don’t see why it should have ever been an issue in the first place though I am not in a locker room with players who, apparently, might have a problem with sharing a locker room with Sam. If you subtract any religious reason you might have to be against Sam, and I think that reason is also stupid, then there is simply no reason you shouldn’t want a gay player on your team. None.  Zero. Unless he sucks at football, then I’m on board. Get rid of him.

One thing Sam doesn’t have going for him that Jackie Robinson had in the bag: He’s not the best of the best. Robinson showed up dominant. Sam is probably a 5/6 round guy. GM’s can pass on a 5/6 round guy all day long if they don’t want to deal with the drama that’s going to come along with him being on the team. Robinson was impossible NOT to have on your team. Ultimately, his talents beat down all the racist bullshit that tried to keep him out. Sam could certainly turn out to be dominant but he doesn’t have what Robinson had going into this new chapter of his life.

But it’ll be interesting to watch unfold. I’m rooting for him. In the end, if he wins, we all win a little bit…….

1. zumiee said, on February 11, 2014 at 6:17 pm

It was disappointing to see Herm Edwards, an African-American, be so tone-deaf about Michael Sam’s situation.

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I’d love to ask Edwards if he thought Jackie Robinson “brought baggage with him.”

2. DJLoo said, on February 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I’ve said it here about 10 times.
    Larry Doby made his debut 11 weeks later in the AL.
    Think he had it any better than Jackie?
    And there isn’t even a plaque, or a signpost. or a statue of him…

3. snarkk said, on February 11, 2014 at 7:28 pm

There were better black players than Jackie that Rickey could have gotten to be the barrier breaker, but Jackie had the overall package necessary — athletic skills, intelligent with UCLA education, traveled, well spoken, could see the big picture over the inevitable insults and taunts…

4. snarkk said, on February 11, 2014 at 7:34 pm

The NFL players must realize that they’ve been likely showering with gay teammates for years. Either known by some of their teammates on the sly, or unknown. What do they think is going to happen — the now “known” gay teammate will suddenly come onto them in the showers with a boner? That’s it, isn’t it — that’s the fear nobody wants to verbalize on record? Gimme a break. There are probably 50+ gay guys that are members in my health club, if the general population norms apply. I’ve been there a dozen years, nobody’s ever come after me in the showers, and no others that I know of. Let’s get real NFL, and stop the lunacy. Draft the kid somewhere in the mid rounds and give him a shot like anybody else with a very good record of playing defense in the SEC…

• DJLoo said, on February 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm

50 plus? Where do you work out, at the Ramrod?

• snarkk said, on February 11, 2014 at 11:28 pm

My club has over 2000 members. I haven’t been to The Stud or the Eagle since law school days… 😉

5. twinfan1 said, on February 11, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I think most players will have no problem with Sam but when a guy like Incognito was an acknowledged team leader one has to wonder how many will openly support Sam.

6. Alleykat said, on February 11, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Roger Craig and Brian Jennings both said they would have welcomed Micheal Sam jr on the roster.It’s all about football skill and determation to succeed at the highest level in the NFL, and this kid is all about that,and his Coach and all of his teammates were behind him all year after he disclosed he way gay.
    Teams that are bottom-feeders in the NFL every year, and always have high draft picks/ even in the later rounds because they suck,(no pun intended) will pass on him,cause they won’t adapt and be open-minded to the present ,while “Winning Programs” would.

7. Bozo said, on February 11, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I don’t blame Jackie for retiring instead of excepting the trade to the Giants. After 10 years of the shit he had to endure, why would any sane person want to add to it by switching to the rival team? Also, this letter has to be one of the classiest “fuck yous” in history.

“Dear Mr. Stoneham:

After due consideration I have decided to request to be placed on the voluntary retired list as I am going to devote my full time to the business opportunities that have been presented.

My sincere thanks to you and to Mr. Feeney for your wonderful cooperation and understanding in this matter.

I assure you that my retirement has nothing to do with my trade to your organization. From all I have heard from people who have worked with you it would have been a pleasure to have been in your organization.

Again my thanks and continued success for you and the New York Giants.

Sincerely,

(signed) Jackie Robinson”

• DJLoo said, on February 11, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Jackie chose Chock Full O’ Nuts over the Giants. I’m sure, as always, it was all about money.

• Alleykat said, on February 11, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Love that Coffee Loo!
        Could have come down to the quality of the coffee the Giants offered.

• snarkk said, on February 11, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Jackie was classy. I doubt if Horace drank a lot of coffee. Irish coffee, maybe…

8. snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:22 am

Jon Stewart destroys the NFL’s anonymous management doubts about Michael Sam…

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2014 at 5:38 am

wow, that was epic. thanks for sharing.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:49 am

Some thoughts on Jackie Robinson and “42”: this says he had already decided to retire and was nursing grievances against the Dodgers: http://www.dodgerthoughts.com/2013/04/11/the-myth-of-jackie-robinsons-retirement/ I recall Jackie working for Nelson Rockefeller and his presidential aspirations in 1964. Robinson lived in Stamford. My racist-inclined relatives mocked that he didn’t “live with his people,” meaning in a slum. An absurd proposition. He had a ton of trouble with Jackie Jr., a heroin addict, I believe, who may have been murdered or ODed. The same biased folks would complain that Jackie should have paid more attention to his son, not social causes. A personal note: in May 1964, on a Sunday afternoon, my once-best-friend Michael Palo went swimming up in North Stamford, purportedly in a lake on or near Jackie Robinson’s property, and drowned, at 16, possibly owing to a seizure. (He may have had Marfan Syndrome, something no one ever heard of.)

10. pawliekokonuts said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:55 am

One thing I appreciated about ’42’ was that Branch Rickey was no do-gooder. He was a shrewd and tough businessman. This would make money. (With Kiner’s passing, stories about Rickey rejecting Kiner’s raise request recirculated: “What place did the Pirates finish? Last? We can finish last without you.”) Finally, it is clear in the Hirsch book the disdain Robinson had for Willie Mays regarding civil rights matters. I still defend Mays. He was amazed he could get paid to play ball. Doing that well was the best statement he could make; anything else was phony for him. Mays’s doing so certainly influenced my racial views, as a 6-year-old, and now.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on February 12, 2014 at 7:04 am

A 1970s drinking buddy of mine was Terry Jones, of Elmira, NY. Branch Rickey’s grandson. #obnoxious_namedropper

12. willedav said, on February 12, 2014 at 7:24 am

I don’t think any of Rickey’s teams were ever above pandering to the unwritten “quota” system that existed in baseball and in the NBA for black players on a team in J-R’s day and long after. The limit was pretty low in both leagues, and some teams owners waited a long long time to integrate at all.
    As far as integration in major sports goes, I’d say Red Auerbach, who started 5 black players at one time on his championship teams and hired a black player coach among other things, deserves more credit. Blew me away to see both Celts and Sixers of those days start all black LUs.

13. chipower9 said, on February 12, 2014 at 7:26 am

Only two days until pitchers and catchers report! WHOOT!

14. willedav said, on February 12, 2014 at 7:45 am

Gratuitous left coast b-ball note: Watched SD St. take first L vs. Wyoming cowboys in Laramie last night. Larry Nance Jr. can play, more likely draft pick than anyone else on floor. 2-3 zone had Tecs confused and out of rhythm most of night. Surprised more NBA teams don’t go zone more often, since most players don’t know how to attack one. You can trap and press anywhere out of zone too.
    Mtn. West is good b-ball conference, tho they took a big hit losing BYU for Jose State…my alma mater is embarrassingly bad in both men’s (0 for league this season and it’s February) and women’s b-ball and has been for a really long time. You gotta go back to Darnell Hillman and his HOF fro for any cred.

15. chipower9 said, on February 12, 2014 at 8:00 am

Great post, Craig. Jon Stewart nails it again on a social hot topic. He puts the focus where it should be. Can the dude play football. Well, he led the SEC in sacks, and the SEC is arguably the best football conference in the country.

It does not matter if it is football, or any other sport or endeavor in life. The focus should not be on your sexual orientation, religious beliefs, color of your skin, or ANY OTHER differentiating factor…it should be about your ability, only.

Thanks Jon Stewart, and thanks for sharing Flavor.

16. willedav said, on February 12, 2014 at 8:57 am

Jenkins had long column on it today; interesting to see claim Lombardi had gay player on Pack in 1969 and of course couple others unacknowledged at time with Skins in Dave Kopay and Jerry Smith.
    He had columns earlier decrying fact that Jason Collins from Stanford (who does some left coast college b-ball announcing) wasn’t signed by any NBA team. The guy has limited skills for this level, but given state of back up C’s in NBA right now you gotta wonder about collusion. Dubs could probably use him right now.

• unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

The Dubs are fine with Jermaine O’Neal. But the point is still valid. Someone can use a guy with his skill set.

But then again, I thought someone would have tqaken a shot with Bonds when he was available.

17. stixwiz said, on February 12, 2014 at 9:37 am

Pro football and the attitudinal set of a large proportion of its fans is the last major barrier to dropping the homophobic silliness in American popular culture. Sams may, as several point out, not be the Jackie Robinson of his sport or of the current era, but evidently he is an NFL- level linebacker. As a Minnesotan i was disgusted at the prejudicial treatment of talented kicker Chris Kluwe, a married man who took a very public pro-gay stance. Not only was it the Vikings and their offensive coordinator, but also collusion throughout the league was evident and has now led to a very publicity negative lawsuit.

So my take is that pro sports in general should join the 21st Century and transcend this religion-based bias and get with the attitudes of the younger generations and the other more enlightened elements of the sports fan base. The fossils will gripe and grumble, but if Sams or someone with a similar makeup ends up on their team and starts making some great plays, they may suddenly catch themselves cheering for the dude. Game Over.

18. unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 9:38 am

Flav, Sam’s draft rating is he’s a possible 3rd rounder. Mainly for his pass rushing skills. Not quite as fringe as you say, but I think he doesn’t get drafted regardless. Yeah, saw Jon Stewart the other night, and he is spot-on. But Vilma’s comments are the tamest of the type of reception he’d get. He would be a pariah in most NFL locker rooms. And the feeling would be there that he’s some sort of pervert leering at his teammates in the shower.

In college, he was a known commodity and therefore it was less of an issue to come out. Walking into an NFL locker room, a hyper macho and closed ‘society’ it would be 50x less forgiving.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

I didn’t call him “fringe”. I was saying that he is not coming into this as one of the best players at this level. That’s what Robinson had going for him. I think he absolutely gets drafted though. Maybe 4/5 rd, something like that.

• unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Well, 5th or 6th (what you orig. said) is the definition of fringe player. Look, I hope it all works out and he’s accepted immediately if he gets his shot. I just don’t think that’s how this will play out. I think the good-old-boy network of NFL owners will put the kibosh on his being drafted.

19. unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 9:45 am

I think about the only way attitudes change for this is for a known star (say, Tom Brady) to come out during the height of his career.

20. Chipower9 said, on February 12, 2014 at 10:00 am

I disagree with Charlie (Unca) and think that Sams will be drafted. I will be very surprised if he is not.

• unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’d love to think that these NFL execs and players are ready to accept something that is already a part of the national fabric, and their silly game to boot, but look at Stix’s example above. A strasight guy, and family man, speaks out for gay rights, and is ostracized. And all the hooraw around Chris Culliver and the misremembered video the Niners did last year. For every Chris Culliuver who says something like that out loud, there are likely about 20-30% of players on every team that feel the same way.

It would be an intensely hostile environment to walk in to. The dude had balls, to say the least.

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Charlie – not discounting anything you say re: hostility, etc., but I do think he gets drafted. Matter of fact, I would bet on it.

• unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:42 pm

If he is drafted, it’ll be a team with a strong front office. Say NE, SF, or Seattle. A team that wouldn’t let it become a circus. He would get roasted alive in Dallas or Jacksonville..

21. snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 10:13 am

Stewart nailed the “shower” excuse with Vilma. What, every guy in the NFL thinks that one look at his body in the shower, and a gay guy is going to immediately try to jump him? What a bunch of rubes and narcissists. Like there’s never been and aren’t now any gay guys in NFL showers…

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 11:44 am

Really good stuff on Puig. Upshot: lots of raw talent, lots of wacky that goes with it. “Again pitchers – do not throw this man hittable pitches early in in the count. Wait Puig out.” How many times were Flappers saying that here last season, and we didn’t even have the stats in yet? I was yelling at Giants pitchers and Posey not to throw a ball anywhere near the zone on first pitch with this guy, yet they did with startling regularity. All Giants pitchers need to read this article. Unless it’s a mistake, nobody should throw this guy a ball in the zone until the third or fourth pitch in the count — if they do, they should be fined. Puig’s got a lot to prove this year as the league wises up to his weaknesses…

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Personally, I think Puig is dumb. Not intelligent. It could just be that he’s young but I think he’s dumb. And that’s not me being racist against a Latin player. I’m fine with being wrong about this (if I am). But the way he acts, the things he does, I think it’s a lack of intelligence. And for that reason, I don’t think he’s going to make the necessary adjustments to the pitchers next year who won’t EVER throw him a first pitch strike.

22. Flavor said, on February 12, 2014 at 11:01 am

top 14 Giants minor leaguers—man, the back end of this list is depressing.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 11:28 am

I’d say mid to back is depressing. I’d like to see if this writer has a generally depressing/attacking tone in all his team ratings, or this is attributable just to the Giants “one of the worst” systems, in his opinion. Somebody the other day here said some rating service had the Giants system at 12 or some such — it can’t be that high according to this guy, and most agree with this guy’s assessment = somewhere in the 20s. Brown’s assessment is downright dim, and Williamson gets nothing more than a backup kind of rating, yet he’s supposed to be now our best hope for the OF. Where’s Panik? I linked to this rating service’s top 100 minor leaguers list. Check it out. Giants have one = Crick at 67. Dodgers have 5, Cards 4, Red Sox friggin 9, in the top 100. Allowing for E Coast bias on the RSox, what are the Giants doing wrong — successful teams with low draft positions are boatracing us in minor league talent identification and development. If this rater is even in the area code of being right, this is scary for the 2016-2020 Giants…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2014 at 11:53 am

Aside from the commitment to arms as a commodity I think Sabean stubbornly adheres to his method and thinks he is right and all those stat geeks are wrong. Not to say he doesn’t use new metrics because I have heard him say he does but even then he quickly states that he and his team have their own special metrics that they value like he’s in on something nobody else is looking at. Really I think he just trusts more in the old school approach and most likely feels validated by the clubs recent run.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

I thought that Donte Stallworth of all people had a pretty good take on this; http://tinyurl.com/kb3yep2

Not sure if I have mentioned this but my first job out of college was working as a legislative aide to an openly gay city councilman in LBC. Being from the bay area and all I figured no problem going into it but still thought the biggest challenge would be dealing with my own issues and biases regarding homosexuality. It turned out that wasn’t an issue at all. My biggest issue was that the councilman was really a closeted fascist. Go figure.

Anyway, I got fired from that job and napalmed some bridges in epic fashion but my point is that hopefully these NFL players can understand that sexual preference is a small part of Sams identity and preconceived notions are often best cast aside. I commend Sams for his willingness to be true to himself.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm

hilarious and thoughtful post. nice.

24. zumiee said, on February 12, 2014 at 12:53 pm

“Somebody the other day here said some rating service had the Giants system at 12 or some such”

I posted that from the Sporting News season preview magazine. They have the Giants at 13th, mainly because of the Giants’ pitching in the minors. A possible difference between the magazine and MLB Draft Insider, is that the Insider seems, to me, to be focusing on who can help the big league club real soon, and that’s not the only way to judge the minors.
    What hurts is that the Giants seem to have swung and missed on Brown and Panik, two first-rounders, and that set things back a bit.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Thanks, zum, yes, now I remember you were the one supplying that. Obviously, this minor league rating stuff is subjective, but most of them seem to be consistently down on the Giants farm system, and I can see why. There’s virtually no position players forcing there way onto the big league 25 anytime soon, and as ever, all these pitchers that have somewhat high ratings — that’s total conjecture until they actually perform in MLB, and they’re a torn elbow ligament away from nowhere. I saw Crick for a bit in a video from his AFL stint last fall — he looked strong, but raw still, wild, IMO. I didn’t see him immediately as a “can’t miss” stud #2 or something…

• zumiee said, on February 12, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I didn’t particularly get the Christian Arroyo first-round pick a couple of years ago, but he’s doing well in the minors so far, and maybe he makes up for the Panik misfire eventually. Maybe the Giants switch Arroyo to secondbase, if Crawford nails down a solid career.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Is Panik now officially off the radar as a “prospect”? BA .257 and OPS .680 isn’t good, I admit, for a year in AA. But, that seems fast to me to toss him to the scrap heap. He’s had 1508 PAs in the minors, he’s getting to the point IMO of fish or cut bait, but not quite yet. If he doesn’t have the light bulb go off at the plate after about another half season in AA (or maybe they push him to AAA?) and around 1800 PAs, well, yeah, that’s not a good sign 3 years into the system for a 1st round pick. Age 23 this past Oct 30 …

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Crawford is as solid as you’d want on defense now. Giants spent a decade using Johnny Boo at SS who was not quite as good with the leather as Crawford, and about 35 points worse with the bat. I could live with Crawford hitting .260 if he bumps his OBP to .340 or something, OPS to just around .700, and hits 10 HRs a year, at least until something better shows up. In short, just improve his offensive stats 5%-10% over last year, and he’d be very serviceable at SS. He’s got speed and gap power, he should be hitting 35 doubles a year, not 25, and even hitting 8th, cutting down his Ks to around 75 or 80 a season, tops, down from mid 90s. Maybe they’ll experiment with him batting 2nd again to cut down on his Ks…

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Yeah, with these numbers .257, .333, .347, .680 at AA last year, I would say yep…he is off the radar. Agree, he’ll need to make a good case for himselft this coming year.

25. zumiee said, on February 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm

We could play the ol’ game, “who should the Giants have drafted instead of Brown?” Brown was taken with the 24th pick in the first round of the 2010 draft. Here’s a list of high picks drafted after him. The Dodgers seem pretty high on Zach Lee, but who knows.

25 Cox, ZackZack Cox St. Louis Cardinals Third baseman Arkansas
    26 Parker, KyleKyle Parker Colorado Rockies Outfielder Clemson
    27 Biddle, JesseJesse Biddle Philadelphia Phillies Left-handed pitcher Germantown Friends High School (PA)
    28 Lee, ZachZach Lee Los Angeles Dodgers Right-handed pitcher McKinney High School (TX)
    29 Bedrosian !Cam Bedrosian Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [Compensation 5] Right-handed pitcher East Coweta High School (GA)
    30 Clark !Chevy Clark Los Angeles Angels Outfielder Marietta High School (GA)
    31 O’Conner !Justin O’Conner Tampa Bay Rays [Compensation 6] Catcher Cowan High School (IN)
    32 Culver, CitoCito Culver New York Yankees Shortstop West Irondequoit High School (NY)

Supplemental first-round selections[edit]The “sandwich picks” after the first round are compensation for losses of free agents during the 2009–10 offseason.[2]

Nick CastellanosPick Player Team Position School
    33 Kvasnicka !Michael Kvasnicka Houston Astros [Compensation 7] Catcher Minnesota
    34 Sanchez !Aaron Sanchez Toronto Blue Jays [Compensation 8] Right-handed pitcher Barstow High School (CA)
    35 Lipka !Matthew Lipka Atlanta Braves [Compensation 9] Shortstop McKinney High School (TX)
    36 Brentz, BryceBryce Brentz Boston Red Sox [Compensation 10] Outfielder Middle Tennessee
    37 Lindsey, TaylorTaylor Lindsey Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [Compensation 11] Shortstop Desert Mountain High School (AZ)
    38 Syndergaard, NoahNoah Syndergaard Toronto Blue Jays [Compensation 12] Right-handed pitcher Legacy High School (TX)
    39 Ranaudo, AnthonyAnthony Ranaudo Boston Red Sox [Compensation 13] Right-handed pitcher Louisiana State
    40 Bolden !Ryan Bolden Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [Compensation 14] Outfielder Madison Central High School (MS)
    41 Wojciechowski, AsherAsher Wojciechowski Toronto Blue Jays [Compensation 15] Right-handed pitcher The Citadel
    42 Vettleson !Drew Vettleson Tampa Bay Rays [Compensation 16] Outfielder Central Kitsap High School (WA)
    43 Walker, TaijuanTaijuan Walker Seattle Mariners [Compensation 17] Right-handed pitcher Yucaipa High School (CA)
    44 Castellanos, NickNick Castellanos Detroit Tigers [Compensation 18] Third baseman Archbishop McCarthy High School (FL)
    45 Jackson !Luke Jackson Texas Rangers [Compensation 19] Right-handed pitcher Calvary Christian Academy (FL)
    46 Blair !Seth Blair St. Louis Cardinals [Compensation 20] Right-handed pitcher Arizona State
    47 Tago, PeterPeter Tago Colorado Rockies [Compensation 21] Right-handed pitcher Dana Hills High School (CA)
    48 Ruffin, ChanceChance Ruffin Detroit Tigers [Compensation 22] Right-handed pitcher Texas
    49 Olt, MikeMike Olt Texas Rangers [Compensation 23] Third baseman Connecticut
    50 Jenkins, TyrellTyrell Jenkins St. Louis Cardinals [Compensation 24] Right-handed pitcher Henderson High School (TX)

26. unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Wasn’t Mike Hawk available?

27. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Will there be a Flap FL this year?

28. zumiee said, on February 12, 2014 at 3:30 pm

#38 pick Noah Syndergaard ended up going to the Mets in a deal. The Mets are hoping that Harvey, Syndergaard, and Wheeler, and David Wright will be the cornerstones of future playoff appearances. That’s looking ahead more so to 2015. Mets fans are going to have to suck it up and be real patient.

29. zumiee said, on February 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

#44 pick Nick Castellanos is going to be given a chance at the starting thirdbase job in Detroit, depending on his Spring Training results, obviously.

30. snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Jeter announced he is retiring after this season. We can all exhale now. ESPN is probably right now planning how to follow him like a puppy follows food over the next 6 months — a real time filler that saga will be…

31. snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Arroyo’s deal is $9.5M, $9.5M, with $4.5M buyout in 2016. That deal may look good if Voggy craters…

32. unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, I heard Joe Montana talking on the radio about a reunion flag football game (presumably with Dallas, but he didn’t specifically say that) at Candlestick Park some time in the near future.

If so, that should be some kind of Flapapalooza.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Somebody must be paying him to show up…

33. Salty said, on February 12, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Re Panik: Crawford hit just .258 and .241 at AA.

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Well, I’d rather the Giants not have a guy that hits like Crawford also at second base…

34. DJLoo said, on February 12, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I’m hoping Sam will be the last man taken in the draft. Then he can be known as the first gay Mr. Irrelevant.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:11 pm

If he isn’t picked by the final rd the nfl would probably pick up the ph and quietly order a team to take him. The fallout of him going undrafted, as the reigning defensive MVP of the SEC, would be titanic for the league.
      I bet NE drafts him in like the 5th rd

• snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:42 pm

That is good knowledge. You’re absolutely right. No way Goody would let him go undrafted. Goodell has a gay brother, for what that’s worth, and I think it’s worth plenty here. The PR hit to the NFL of Sam going undrafted would be gigantic, as it should be. Will Vegas be so crass as to have a prop bet on the over/under on what draft position he gets taken?…

• unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:55 pm

35. snarkk said, on February 12, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Did anyone even notice that in the Niner/Shawks title game, both QBs were black guys? I didn’t hear word one about that — it was all about which was better, which had better poise, better running and throwing skills, etc. It didn’t even occur to me until some guy on sports radio mentioned it a coupla days after the SBowl. The NFL has come a long way since Joe Gilliam…

36. pawliekokonuts said, on February 12, 2014 at 7:53 pm

In the Ain’t This Relevant Department, I am about 3/4 through “Middlesex” by Jeffrey Eugenides. Talk about gender-bender.

37. Bozo said, on February 12, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I’m kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Glenn Burke. Dodger OFer who came out to the team and management in the 70s. Fourth OFer for the Dodgers and is credited as giving Dusty the first high five. Played in the gay softball leagues in SF for awhile, went homeless and died from AIDS-related causes in 95. First MLBer to come out, AND he created the high five, dude deserves to be in the Hall.

38. unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Regardless, I don’t think the owners are going to take an unwritten directive from Goodell to do anything