A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Greatness Witnessed, Greatness Retiring

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 13, 2014

For you Dubs fans out there, how’s your morning going? Still shaking your head sideways? Man, what a game last night. Steph Curry is almost single handedly getting me back into the NBA after years of not caring about it. That dude hits the crispest, cleanest 3’s I’ve seen since my main man Purvis Short spent his career casting off super high from behind the stripe. Saw World B Free on tv the other day. Still my favorite basketball player of all time……..

Anyway, Labron did what he did. Unreal. Before he shoots you can hear Barnett in the background going, “you can’t let him beat you!” And then he beat them. I’m not in the “camp of second guessing” the decision not to double team him. A step back, 25 foot fade with a hand in his face?” Yes, I will take that all day long over an easy 2 or a wide open Ray Allen 3. No second guessing from me and Marc Jackson said it best: “We witnessed greatness” last night…….

_________________

Speaking of greatness, Derek Jeter announced that this will be his last season. Ah, The Captain. I read his facebook post that brought tears to the likes of Heyman and his east coast cronies. Sorry, it did nothing for me. I appreciate Jeter as a great baseball player, first ballot HOFer etc but from an emotional standpoint, he wasn’t part of my sphere. And I can honestly say I never owned him on a single fantasy team. How many times did I even see him play the Giants? Maybe 5? Never in the playoffs and I don’t think he was always healthy enough to play in all the inter league games the two teams have played since ’96. How many series vs the Yankees have the Giants played since ’96? Our New York Flap contingent might be able to answer that one……..

Anyway, so long Jeter. Next…..

1. willedav said, on February 13, 2014 at 7:42 am

For all the talk about D and rebounding, if you can shoot it’s a great deodorant that makes up for a lot of other stuff. Vs. Philly Dubs were lights out and fun to watch for a half, moving the ball and making everything. Same with Heat in first half when they built a big lead last night. Comeback fell short but they’ve been OK short handed with different LUs for front court guys. They’d be a team no one wants to play, including OKC with whom they have great games. LeBron got em but it wasn’t easy.
    Jeter always seemed to be able to rise above, come off as a class guy and not get into the petty BS from Steinbrenner days. I’m sure he’ll have a monument or whatever, tho NY shtick on him will get old soon this year. Even last year I used to see Yanks fans on game tracker sites makes posts that just said *27* and tell everyone to STFU.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 13, 2014 at 8:01 am

I can respect Jeter. Not because he’s a great shortstop but because he’s pulled the hottest women in America going on 20 years now. Between him and Dicaprio that’s a lot of super models and up and coming stars. Wait, now that I think about it I hate them both.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:06 am

I almost referenced the stupendous puss he’s pulled over the years but couldn’t pull the trigger. well done.

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:55 am

What dirt said….

3. John said, on February 13, 2014 at 8:34 am

Purvis Short is in the building. One of my all-time favorite Dubs. And Curry sure is fun to watch, especially as his game has continued to develop with his improved passing, rebounding and defense. And to think “experts” had questions about him coming out of college.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:08 am

Minnesota took PG from Syracuse one pick before him. Can’t recall his name. Who was responsible for that? Kevin Mc? That dude is playing in China now…….
      Talk about an epic fuck up by the T-wolves

• salty said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:54 am

Interesting . I had to look that up.
        Name was Jonny Flynn, who had a great career at Syracuse (Pawlie might remember).
        But the wolves had just taken a point guard (Rick Rubio) with the 5th pick.The GM didn’t have a clue.
        Thought two PG’s could play together.
        And the with the 18th pick they took Ty Lawson, who they traded. Had everyone scratching their heads.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:59 am

they took Rubio THE PICK BEFORE the Syracuse PG? WTF? Was that because they weren’t sure Rubio was coming over? Idiotic waste of a 2nd top 10 pick…….

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:11 am

Per MLBTR the Groper was released by the Phillies due to physical issues. Must have smashed his hand between some gurneys or something.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

really? I heard the tail end of that on KNBR and wondered which “ex-Giant” didn’t pass his physical. That dude is interesting in a dark and mysterious way.

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:58 am

If he was healthy, I would take him back in a heartbeat…gurneys, baggage, and all. Fucking dude pitched his ass off last year from both the pen and spot starts. Hoping Petit can be that guy this year….every team needs one.

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:38 am

Is baseball’s “passing the physical” being abused? Balfour had a deal with the Orioles for healthy coin, then suddenly he failed the physical. A month after, he signs with Tampa, passes their physical no problem. So, an unsound arm suddenly got healthy because it was holding $3M less?…

• Bozo said, on February 13, 2014 at 11:47 am

Baggs was asked on his chat if the legal issues were what kept the Giants from resigning hime, this is what he said “I’d imagine on some level they did. Probably more about his health. He was pretty banged up at the end of the year.” How did Hanging Chad get so beat up? I don’t remember what his injury was, but wasn’t it kind of glossed over?

5. zumiee said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

To paraphrase Snarkk yesterday, the media love-a-thon for Jeter’s farewell season will be an ongoing parade of nausea-inducing schlock.
    He’s “The Captain”? How many teams even designate a “captain” anymore, and why bother? I’d love to hear what the “captain’s” organizational duties are.

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

Well, I don’t have a problem with Jeter, or him being deemed The Captian. Dude has been an awesome ambassador to the game, and as mentioned by Dirt…he has had many of the hottest ladies on the planet on his arm (and in the rack) for 20 years. I tip my cap to him…but agree…the whole farewell thing will become tiresome.

6. Macdog said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:50 am

LeBron’s a helluva player, but his Look-at-me I’m-so-great antics at the end are a major turnoff. I can’t imagine a player like Jeter putting on such a self-aggrandizing display after a game-winning hit.

Flav, the Giants & Yanks have played three times since interleague began: ’02 in NY, ’07 in SF and last year in NY. I’m sure Jeter played the first two series, and then missed the one last year.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2014 at 9:52 am

Thanks. My odds of who would be the one to answer this:
      Loo: 8/5
      MacDog: 4-1
      Pawlie: 12-1

7. Alleykat said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’d take the chance of Ray Allen beating me there thenLabron,who was feelin it all night.Force the Heat to get it in his hands,over the best player,bar none.
    Or even foul (know its get all logic) and take your chances in OT .

Jeter, Long and distinguish career to many highlights to forget along with all the pussy he banged.Not only 1st ballot HOF, he will probably get 95 % of the sports writers etc votes especially with the east coast bias,unlike Scumbag A-Rod who will “Never” get in.
    His farewell tour with every team giving him outrageous gifts, will easily top Riveria’s farewell.

8. chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

One more…I was there when Jeter and the Yanks played at Pac Bell Park in 2000 for one game that ushered in the Giant’s new yard (it was a pre-season game). Previous day was the initial game in the new yard against the Brewers.

9. paulinasia said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:08 am

2am in Guangzhou, China, 10am Bay Area…. just made yet another gawd-awful flight from SFO back to Asia (this time thru Seattle and Shianghai and eventually landing here in what was formerly known as Canton, China)… I’m not sure how many of these 30-hour days I have left in me. Missing Sonoma and Bay Area already. Envious of ya’ll with Spring Training about to start. But, back to the university salt mines for me now that lunar new year is over. Eagerly awaiting word from Steve in Saigon. I gave him so many leads; I’m more interested to hear about the ones he finds himself…. Especially if they’re ones I already knew well.. 🙂 Jeter — yes, class act, stud, womanizer to lead most womanizers, definitely HOF. I ignore him because my sister in NJ is so annoyingly a baseball fan only because she loves the guy and she’ll likely drop baseball after he’s gone. Well, if he turned some folks on to the great game in an obscure way, so be it. Let the games (almost) begin!

10. snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:27 am

Some guy on sportstalk radio last night made a very interesting comparison re: Jeter. And, he’s right. Jeter’s stats right now are eerily similar to Paul Molitor’s stats. Check it out on baseball reference. Molitor was a fine player, a HOFer. But, if Jeter played in Milwaukee, would the baseball world (mostly east coast) be readying itself for a 6 month long Jeter Jizz? Obviously not. Jeter is one of the luckiest dudes on the planet. He’s a living example of where sports skills meet opportunity, New York can do amazing things for you. I’m with BF. I’ve got no complaints against the guy, but I’ve got no feeling for him either. He’s a HOFer, really no better than a Molitor type, but he played in the media capital and never PO’d the media, he played ’em like a 3 hop lazy grounder. Hey, I hope he has a nice final season, then the Yankees crash and burn and miss the playoffs…

• Macdog said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:39 am

I’ve always wondered that as well, my point of reference usually being Kansas City. But Milwaukee works too.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:29 am

All this Jeter talk has me remembering Paul O’Neil having his name chanted in his last game at Yankee Stadium. I think it was a playoff game if I remember right. Even the notorious red ass O’Neil, his facade cracked, was obviously moved. A great moment.

12. paulinasia said, on February 13, 2014 at 10:40 am

Yes, Jeter was lucky to be adored by the New York media, and lucky to have been on some great teams. If he’d labored (as Snarkk says) in a place like Milwaukee, his retirement would still be noteworthy but not ad nauseum. If he’d been a Giant, we’d all be immortalizing him. Give him credit where credit is due. But I feel like we’ve been infinitely more entertained by all of the sometimes whacky shortstops on the Giants spanning all of Jeter’s time, and that makes us lucky, in a way…. well…. maybe… it is pushing 3am in China, afterall… That would be an interesting list: who all played short for the Giants from Jeter’s first day til his last….

13. Bozo said, on February 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hey Chi, you probably already have your favorite spots in Scottsdale, but just in case, Baggs recommended these two joints, Carlsbad Tavern and Roaring Fork. Thought I’d pass it on.

14. chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 12:35 pm

John – always looking for a new haunt in Scottsdale. Thanks.

We will make a trip to Don and Charlie’s (did not make it there last year). Last time I was there Willie Mays was leaving as we were coming in. And the ribs (really anthing there) is awesome.

Pitchers and catchers report TOMORROW!

I was trolling down my many saved links to find a specific page I had bookmarked, and stumbled on this one (so glad I bookmarked it). This is from the 10th inning of the deciding game of the 2012 series…Scoot’s hit to put the Giants up for good. And we all remember Theriot’s sprint around 3rd and his memorable slide at the plate. One of my favorites from the 2012 series. Enjoy.

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Scutaro let that pitch get deep, almost in the catcher’s glove. He was so locked in during that amazing run he had.

15. zumiee said, on February 13, 2014 at 12:53 pm

The tragic loss of Jeter after this season can only be expressed in poetry:

O Captain! My Captain!
    Our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather’d every rack,
    the prize we sought is won

16. salty said, on February 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Posey leads Giants to a 3rd title in his first 5 yrs , he’d be right there with Mr November’s 4 in 5. There’d be nothing ad nauseum about that.;)
    Amazing to read quote that Torre was just hoping Jeter would hit .250 and play good D in his rookie yr.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Does this mean Crawford is on his way to 3000 hits?

17. zumiee said, on February 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Or maybe the loss of Jeter can be expressed in song:

18. Salty said, on February 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Always fun to go back and look at the draft. Selected ahead of Jeter were these 5.
    Who?
    Phil Nevin
    Paul Shuey
    BJ Wallace
    Jeffrey Hammonds (Yea Stanford)
    Chad Mottola

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Sounds like guys in an ’80s hair band…

• Bozo said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Didn’t Hammonds play for us at some point?

• unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Yup. He was on keyboards . . .

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I’ll give Jeter a lot of credit on the women front. All those babes floating around him all those years. I’d guess some of that was show, there was nothing to it, some maybe not even a one night stand. PR happens in New York. Anyway, he managed to stay legally single all his career. Cots info shows his career earnings with the Yanks at about $270M. That’s excluding endorsements, so I’d guess easily he’s earned $300M as a Yankee. NY is not a community property state, but regardless, kudos to Jeter — no future ex wife will ever get a sniff of much of that cheddar…

• unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm

What’s amazing is none of them got knocked up.

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Well, that, or none that we know about…

19. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Speaking of hair (yeah, I’m the old fart that used to listen to Grand Funk Railroad):

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I was, still am, a fan of GFR…

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Me too (was and still am a fan of GFR).

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2014 at 2:47 pm

It should also be noted that GRF is the favorite band of Homer Simpson.

20. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hah! Speaking of cheddar, hard to believe the highest paid Mets outfielder this year is . . .

Bobby Bo !

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

That is amusing…

21. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Walt Whitman, Zumie?

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Walter White?…

22. Flavor said, on February 13, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Jim Fregosi– went to Serra High. Didn’t know that. Surprised to see he played nearly 20 years. Largely underwhelming stats for someone who played that long. Didn’t see a year where he made more than 80K. Probably did much better as a manager.

23. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Yup, way before my time (can’t say THAT much anymore). Didn’t realize he was so sick.