On Pace for 162-0

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 1, 2014

Now THAT was an Opening Day to savor (apologies to A’s fans reading this. 10 OD losses in a row? Ouch). Is it just me or did Kuip and Miller put a little bit extra into their calls?

It WAS a monster bomb, maybe they were just vibing off that. And it was the 9th inning. And it did complete a wild comeback.

Well, we didn’t field the ball particularly well and Petit was worthless. But this was a *never give up till the final out” game. Awesome way to start the season.

1. Irish Kevin said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Someone explain to me why you leave a pitcher in who just gave up two runs to put your team behind? Not good strategy in my opinion.

2. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Well, I’ll go there . . . They get the call right, and the inning is over. It looked conclusive to me. As it did Dunston. There’s no way to predict the future. Which is the flaw in this idea. Either do it for all plays or fuck it. To dole challenges out like candy to babies is fucking stupid. Besides, they get 2 more after 6? I don’t know. It’s the same problem with the NFL. They pick and choose when to use it and let other shit go.

Ands the ump gets a pass for blowing the next call? Fuck it,

Crawfish!!

3. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Let’s go Perez . . .

4. DJLoo said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

How come whenever a team draws a really small crowd it sounds like the people that actually showed up are taking the blame?

5. Alleykat said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Cain another no decision, he has to have the most since coming in the league.
    Didn’t take long for JC Guitierez to blow the hold for him, not impressed with his Livan Hernandez demeanor out there.

6. Irish Kevin said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Can the giants get a 123 inning??

7. Irish Kevin said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Wow they put that dude back out there. Great, a big lumbering dude was going to steal 2nd off him!! Nice

8. Irish Kevin said, on April 1, 2014 at 8:59 pm

If this guy gives up another run, I would not be disappointed if it gets him off the mound!

9. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:00 pm

They should shit can instant replay reviews. Now.

Ironically, the balls and strikes that instant replay fails to address have a far larger impact on the outcome of a given game than any particular fair/foul or safe/out call. Replay cannot address these calls—indeed, challenging individual balls and strikes would slow games to a crawl—but the process by which these calls are made indicates that umpires are just as prone as fans to get caught up in the moment and that replay alone cannot correct the problem. The aforementioned has been PROVEN by sabermetricians. In short, instant replay as it stands now – is a strategic layer of gameplay rather than a failsafe against human arbiters.

Dumb. Fucking. Rule.

10. James said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:06 pm

You don’t see too many 3-0 swings and misses on 91 mph fastballs down the middle of the plate. More strange than anything.

11. chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I disagree. I like the replay, but just not the set-up of only one (and then another if you are right on the first). I think it should be two minimum, and three would be ideal. Your challenge is wrong on the first or second, and you lose your next one (makes the team really think about using them). Anyway…will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I don’t want to be a doomer, but I did not have a good feeling before the game with Cain taking the ball. I hope this was an aberration, and he comes out nails next start.

Time for some late heroics again. Let’s go Giants!

12. chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Come on Blanco…extend the fucking inning…

13. snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:23 pm

This limited use of the replay is dumb, dumb, dumb. If there is a play at the plate, review should be automatic because it means a run, no exceptions. So, unless the Gyros rally, a botched call at the plate, with review perfectly available but denied by rule, will cost the Giants the game. Exactly what replay is supposed to prevent…

• chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Key word is “limited.” I like the idea of replay (as I said earlier)…just not in the current fashion with only one challenge…

14. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:23 pm

LOL.

15. snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:25 pm

If Zito were pitching, due to his 4-run rule, we’d have this one in the can… 🙂

16. James said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I remember when I umpired little league, the training materials included a treatise by an MLB ump (can’t remember which one). One thing that stuck with me was an encouragement to establish your own strike zone rather than adhering to its rule-book definition. This advice wasn’t specifically targeted at Little League play — he was defiantly acknowledging and celebrating the ump’s prerogative to distort enforcement of the rules. Inevitable imperfection as conscious style.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Confirmed by the last two innings of umpire called strike 3s on the Giants…

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

James, you touched on the real problem in umpiring – calling balls and strikes. Umpires subconsciously favor elite pitchers. Former White Sox and Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen observed much the same without the rigorous review, as quoted in Bruce Weber’s 2009 book As They See ‘Em: A Fan’s Travels in the Land of Umpires . . . Ozzie said,

“If Roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez or Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, is pitching, it’s a strike. Jose Cruz pitching? It’s a ball. Same way for hitting. You’re fucking Wade Boggs? That’s a ball. You’re Frank Thomas? That’s a ball. Ozzie Guillen hitting? Strike, get the fuck out.”

• unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

That’s so Kruk has something to talk about. “He’s a low-ball ump.” “He calls anything thrown by Glavine a strike.”

Yah-oooooooooo fuck it.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Yep, lotsa Kruk’s BS is all about describing each ump’s special “zone” and how the pitcher has to pitch to that zone and kiss the ump’s ass so you can get the calls…

• chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Yeah, I umped in LL, too. And the shit with the strike zone has always bugged me. Call it the way the rule is written, dammit.

17. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Shit. Cain went 3-2 on everyone tonight. Couldn’t put anyone away,

18. Bozo said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Get em tomorrow Gaints.

19. chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Fuck. Totally winnable game. Until Cain strings a few good starts together…I am officially concerned…

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I was officially concerned last year. He’s not got a lot on the ball these days, and lots of pitches are very hittable…

• chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I was too, but was also encouraged by the way he finished the year. Now…show me some consecutive good starts…let’s see the old Horse…

20. Macdog said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Swing the friggin’ bat!

• chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Agree Mac…no way you can stand there as the potential final out with the tying run in scoring position…

21. chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Looking forward to seeing Hudson tomorrow. On a positive note…how about the Dubs taking one in OT in Dallas. Fuck yeah!

22. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:30 pm

That was a CRAZY game, Chuck. Curry is amazing.

• chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Did you see it Charlie? I can never get the Dubs feed here…usually blocked out. That chaps my ass as I woul much rather see the Dubs as opposed to the Kings…

Hey, are you going to the game on the 25th?

• unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Pretty sure, yeah. Are we doing club level,or what? I think Dawg’s going as well and Flav?

• chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Craig is scoring the tix…and from the email, I understand San Diggity is coming (or at least breathing heavy). Blade…you’re making the trip out, right? And WTH…Pawlie can get on a plane and join us, too!

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2014 at 6:18 am

I will be out there Chi (May 12-25). You guys are having your meet on the 25th though, right? If so, I will be on a plane back to Denver.

23. chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Sharkies tied with the Oilers going into the 3rd…

24. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Blue had a nice point. Put more cameras out there if you are going to implement replay.

And they are wrong to say that was an inconsequential play to challenge. And out is an out. They took too long to figure it out. That’s for sure.

25. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Perez stands there in 2 big ABs,

26. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Burns ties it!

27. snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I don’t know how the home plate ump misses that call. Right in front of him, and wasn’t that quick of a play. Horrible umpiring. If you also look at slo mo of the first base ump, his right arm seems to start coming up to make an out call on the pickoff, then he flattens it out to call safe…

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Article says he got a second ring at the time. Now selling one. WTF?…

• unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2014 at 11:09 am

Yeah, that is weird. . . . I;m sure he had to pay for it, right? LIke $25,000?

28. snarkk said, on April 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Small sample size so far, but Morse? Meh…

29. chipower9 said, on April 1, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I still really like Perez, but he needs to get the fucking bat off his shoulder…if not, Bochy needs to bury one up his backside…

• zumiee said, on April 2, 2014 at 12:22 am

Yeah, I didn’t get that. Taking two called third strikes in crucial situations.

Cain looked very hittable tonight. That was a disturbing sight. Hopefully he finds his “stuff” in the next outing.

• zumiee said, on April 2, 2014 at 12:25 am

But having said that, he kept them in the game, which is one of the main things you ask of a starter. The problem was he had to exit after 5 innings because of pitch-count. And the Giants middle relievers are a work in progress.

• James said, on April 2, 2014 at 6:15 am

He did eventually hit 93 mph. He’ll be solid as long as the 88-90 range doesn’t become the status quo.

30. willedav said, on April 2, 2014 at 7:28 am

Agree about the called third strikes, one thing I truly hate to see. Why give the ump a chance to ring you up? Even worse with ducks on the pond. The IF is crummy they all know it and the rook SS just fell on his face chasing Hector’s pop up, Trumbo’s in LF, yada yada. Look at how many balls SF couldn’t handle night before.

31. unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2014 at 11:08 am

Gutierrez certainly didn’t look ready for prime time.