Joannie Loves Machi

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 6, 2014

Admittedly, you have to change the way you pronounce his name, but that headline says it all, yes?

So who had this one?

machi

(Sorry about having to have that idiot Dodger face in the image)

Anyway, I think last night’s game could be classified as “fun to watch.” Any time you come back from an 8-2 deficit and then 9-8 and then 10-9 you can safely say your team is trying it’s best. And who knew that our very own NL wins leader knew how to bunt? How awesome is it that Machi didn’t get his first big league win till he was 31 and now he’s on pace for close to 30 this season? He’s 8-1 lifetime. I wrote a blog thread about his first win last year.

As Zummie noted on the last thread, we are 2-0 in Cain Sandwich Games. lqtm….

And a big Happy Birthday (83) to Mr Willie Mays

1. James said, on May 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I really have no idea about Mark Jackson, but a quick translation based on what I’ve read makes him a Roger Craig like figure. A complete nincompoop when it comes to the tactics of the game, but a beloved symbol of a turnaround.

• SanDawg said, on May 6, 2014 at 9:06 pm

OH NO YOU DIDN’T JUST RUIN ROGER CRAIG ON A GIANTS BLOG! I mean, we’re a group of guys who holds that 80’s group of Giants as sacrosanct. Even Candy Maldonado and Johnnie LeMaster get treated like they were legit players around here. I thought The Humm Baby overmanaged quite a bit, but I’m not gonna go all nincompoop on him.

• James said, on May 6, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I’ve upset Snarkk quite a bit in the past with my Roger Craig . . . ambivalence. Earlier today, I stated that managers don’t make a difference. There are a few exceptions. Roger is one of them, and not in a good way. Here is a stat I shared earlier on the blog. In 1987, Will Clark stole 5 bases and was caught . . . 17 times. As a team, the Giants stole 126 and were caught 97 times. That is managerial small ball stupidity on an epic scale. I could go into other sins . . . .

• snarkk said, on May 6, 2014 at 9:47 pm

So James, in ’87 they went to the playoffs for the first time since 1971. So, I could give an S how many times the Thrill was caught stealing. Dave Bristol was your guy?…

• James said, on May 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Snarkk, Altobelli had the best name, I’ll go with him.

2. SanDawg said, on May 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm

We’ll pick this topic up again later. I am curious to hear the rest of your take on Craig.
    Come to think of it, beloved leader/tactical nincompoop is probably a pretty good way to describe my tenure as JV basketball coach this past year. Sometimes the other team would keep calling time-outs and I’d be thinking to myself “how the fuck am i going to fill another 60 seconds of air time with the guys?”

3. snarkk said, on May 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I’ve seen the replays of the ending play. Buster screwed up. The throw was there, and he was too busy making sure his left leg wasn’t going to get hit by the hand/arm of Marte. The whole play was a clusterF from all angles, but Buster could have saved it with a decent block and tag, but instead whiffed it. Chock that one up to Scott Cousins avoidance syndrome…

• unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Bingo. The morons on the post game were saying Posey would have been called for illegally blocking the plate if he didn’t move his leg. Utter bullshit as he had the ball. They are making excuses for him wimping out. Not that I don;t blame him, but they go to great lengths sometimes to protect the guys they like. They can shit on Belt til the cows come home, but nothing on guys like Rowan, Ray Ray, or Posey. Ever.

I didn’t think it was very conclusive that Marte was safe but whatever.

4. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Craig had the luck of being there when Rosen got a shitload of good players for him. But like someone said, he was the guy that ended the playoff drought. Old school manager? Sure, but they did well when the team hadn’t been relevant for 18 years. Pretty good with the pitchers. He managed from his ass.

5. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm

The Jackson drama has a while to play out, I don;t like the move much, but Jackson surely didn’t endear himself to anyone in the building. I just wonder what Curry has to say about the future. He’s got 3 years left on his current deal, but who’s to say he won;t clamor for a trade? The one big thing this team had going for it was chemistry. That is gone.

6. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Come on. Really? There are Johnny Mellon Cougarcamp fans here? Next we’ll be talking about Bryan Adams.

7. Nipper said, on May 7, 2014 at 3:53 am

You’re FIRED! Wrong…..Warriors coaches are liberated.