Does it Matter If We’re Sans Dicks?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 3, 2014

In the clubhouse! I’m talking about IN THE CLUBHOUSE!!!!!!

Decent discussion at the end of the last thread about dicks in the clubhouse, Bochy’s success, Two-trips failures….

It does appear that the Giants made a concerted effort to go dick-free after the Bonds era ended. And whether it’s coincidence or not, that clubhouse castration led to two world series wins and the current best record in mlb. Going cold turkey on clubhouse dicks led to good things for the franchise….

I think Bochy and Sabean made the decision to go this direction because they’re old and they’ve earned it. After the years those two put in, they probably figured that fighting dicks in the clubhouse just wasn’t worth it anymore.

Two Trips hasn’t really earned that right. Sure, he played for many years and he earned respect as a player. But he didn’t earn that as a manager and I would argue that he’s got less rep on this side of the country than he does on the other side of the country. Throw in a team full of divas who are almost all set for life and you have the makings for Two-Trips not being able to change much in that dugout….

And I’m fine with that.

🙂

1. snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Well, THAT sucked…

2. DJLoo said, on June 3, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Most people don’t believe me when I tell them that years ago the Reds uniforms had the player’s name underneath the number:

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I’m not sure if I believe you about that name underneath the number……

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Vada Pinson, fine player for a long time (’58 – ’75)
        Out of McClymonds High in Oakland, same as Bill Russell…

• willedav said, on June 3, 2014 at 8:30 pm

oooh, one of my heroes from the early 60s. Always tried to model myself after the speedy CF types. when you are a senior in HS and weigh 120 lbs., it ain’t about the long ball.

3. snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 6:32 pm

That meltdown inning is a top candidate for worst inning of the year. That was horrid all around, pitching and defense both. Timmy’s head was on Mars — can’t keep runners close, Hector two horrid throws to 2nd, other Keystone Kops stuff. Big time fodder for post-game radio chat…

4. Bozo said, on June 3, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Zumiee, called 10 – 8, we just need 7.

5. Bozo said, on June 3, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Get the next two, Giants.

6. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Well, the good news is that both the Bums and Sherpas are losing right now.

7. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm

TGFT . . . All I saw was the Sanchez inning andd the 2 conmsecutive errors. What were the earlier errors? Did they lead to runs. Actually one musta been a throwing error on Tim Tim. Bad throw to 1st?

8. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Shit. Take one of 3 hwere and the roadie is 4-3. No shame in that.

• unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Although 5-2 would be the shizzle.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Cold whack shofizzle…win two…for 5-2.

9. WilcoJoe said, on June 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I love that you guys have such great taste in music! If you guys schedule a flapalozza double hitter with baseball followed by live music, I’am all in. Maybe Hardly Strictly followed by a Giants playoff game in October…I would be there in a heartbeat.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I am channeling that shit right now. Repeat…Giants playoff game in October and Hardly Strictly…. Giants playoff game in October and Hardly Strictly….

And speaking of Hardly Strictly, I need to get a room now before it’s too late.

10. willedav said, on June 3, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Wow, glad I missed this one. Lurie is going off on Hector, and is worried how much Posey catches in the next week with long flight, etc.
    Bozo 4:36 “Hope you got supplies” POTD…good advice win or lose. Thx my man.

Not a big venue guy for music. There used to be a small place in downtown Palo alto at corner of Univ and High St. (the one way one) that went through couple name changes where I saw some cool people: Mose Allison, Sugarcane Harris (of Zappa fame), Harvey Mandel, Asleep at the Wheel (with girl singer Chris O’Connell), Sonny terry and Brownie McGhee.
    In San Jose used to see live shows Sunday eve for price of dinner at Garden City, very intimate dining room next to the casino. Saw Joe Henderson, Timeless All stars with Cedar Walton, Eliane Elias.
    Most of the big name jazz and latin players came through bay area at either Keystone or Greek theatre or the Music Hall 70s/80s. Fortunate enough to catch Rahsaan, Ornette, Stanley t, Grover, Tito Puente Eddie Palmieri Fania All stars, Kenny Burrell at the old El Matador on Broadway. Did see Chick Corea with RTF (including Al D) in Oakland. And Bob Marley live at the Greek. Zappa few times including Berk community.
    Just something else I don’t do enough of is catch live music, tho I still hit JJ blues in Jose.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Used to hit the Great Am Music Hall in SF in the ’80s on a fairly reg basis. Always some good bands going on there then — mostly local with occasional big names rolling in. Anybody ever see Zulu Spear? Good world beat stuff – I saw ’em at the Caspar Inn once up just north of Mendocino. Great bar out in the middle of Mendo — then hit the Caspar hot tubs afterwards and get pruny with your girlfriend while watching the night fog roll in. Girlfriend is now wife and snarkkettes are having teenage troubles tonight. Did those Zulu Spear and hot tub times really ever happen? — seems a lifetime away…

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Have never seen Zulu Spear live, but have head them before. Good camping/partying music around a camp fire…

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Forgot to mention seeing Bob Marley at Freeborn Hall on U.C. Davis. Saw Van Morrison there, too. Probably ’78 or ’79. Both were great shows.

11. paulinasia said, on June 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I’m late to the party, but I’ll add a few. First concert: early ’70s, mid-teens, Humble Pie, Asbury Park Convention Center. Most mind-blowing and mind-blown concert: ’74, Pink Floyd, Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. Most peace-out concert experience: Watkins Glen Festival (Grateful Dead, The Band, Allman Brothers). Most “what the hell was that?” concert: Nina Hagen, the Paramount, Boston. Most electrified trance spacy concert: John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Lincoln Center, NY. Most close-in small venue you could smell his breath concert: Ralph McTell, Denver Folklore Center. Most old guy jazz concert: Art Blakey and the Messengers of Jazz, South Orange, NJ. Most fun blues concerts: any given night at the Boom Boom Room on Fillmore. Most “god I’m tired of standing but what a great show” concert: Tom Petty at The Fillmore. Loudest concert: The Who, the Spectrum in Philly, 5th row center. Most far away from the stage concert: Moody Blues, Madison Square Garden. Oh, sorry, that would be the No Nukes concert in Central Park. Most sweat inducing dancing in the aisles concert: Talking Heads “Stop Making Sense” tour, The Orpheum, Boston. Most drunken New Year’s Eve concert: Mountain, the Felt Forum, NY. 2nd most drunken New Year’s Eve concert: The Bangles, the Paradise, Boston. Best answer to the “where are they now” question concert: Tommy James & the Shondells as white-haired old men, in a little park on the Boston waterfront. You’re right, James, the list could go on and on. Mac, I saw a few shows at the Garden State Arts Center (Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell, and oddly enough, Robin Williams)…

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Goood stuff, Paul. How’s China?…

• Macdog said, on June 3, 2014 at 9:54 pm

And I’m back at ya with Asbury Park Convention Hall: Saw The Clash and The Ramones there in the early 80s. They still have concerts there.

• paulinasia said, on June 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm

China is China, Snarkk. I’m finished with Spring term here in 4 weeks, then back to the US for the summer (about 7 weeks, including a few in the Bay Area). One more China stint in August/September for just 6 weeks, then heading back to Saigon in October. Can’t wait. Mac, I had no idea the Asbury Park Convention Center was even still there, good to know.

• snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I assume no public attention where you are to the 25th anniversary of the Tianmenn Square Massacre, right?

• paulinasia said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Internet is a pain in the ass because of the anniversary, Snarkk. Very difficult to get much done, they’re really watching all the websites to control “misinformation”…. Hell, most of the young generation don’t even know about it anyway, amazingly enough. There was one time I did say those words in class, and the students all snapped their heads down looking at their desks, like they’re trained to shut down whenever the topic comes up. Too funny.

12. snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Timmy stunk tonight, but the team is still 8-4 in his starts…

13. snarkk said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I’m hitting a finger or two of NV Quinta do Noval Porto Black Reserve Ruby Port, as I contemplate Timmy’s future. Then mine. Somehow, his still looks more remunerative. Then, off to bed. Gnite Flappers…

14. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Damn…you guys list shows you have seen and it triggers more that I had failed to mention. Saw Humble Pie back in the 70s while still in Oklahoma. Saw the Dead a number of times, but never saw the Allman Brothers (sad, as they were one of my favorites). I still find Duane’s slide work haunting .He could squeeze a sound out of a guitar that has yet to be, nor will it ever be, replicated.

Saw the Who during one of their first reunion tours (I think mid-80s). A friend won two tickets…included bus ride from Sacramento to Oakland, and back. That was a hell of a party. Also saw John Prine in a small club in SF (cannot recall the name) in the early 80s. Have seen Asleep at the Wheel a number of times, every time in a small club (Roseville, Auburn, Sacto).

15. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Paul – when will you be in the Bay Area? We need to do a mini Flapalooza while you are here.

16. Nipper said, on June 4, 2014 at 5:15 am