A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Baseball Lifer, RIP

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 4, 2014

LA-SF

To call Don Zimmer a “baseball lifer” isn’t doing much justice to the life of a lifer…….

Everyone knows who he was, everyone loved him. I stole this from wikipedia:  he married his one and only wife (Soot. Come on, “Soot?” lol)  at home plate before a minor league game in 1951. He started dating her in 10th grade, I’m not sure she knew what she was getting herself into. But if you’re a chick and your nickname is “Soot” you’re probably cool with getting down and dirty with the ballgame back in the 50’s. That reminds me of Jerry Garcia’s wife “Mountain Girl”. I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume both of these chicks didn’t earmark too many dollars towards razor blades……

He coached on the Giants staff in 1987. Maybe it was because that was such a magical year, but he seemed to be around SF a lot longer than one year.

Probably because he was always “around”. After his playing career ended  (um, Zimmer stole 45 bases?) he managed 4 teams. He coached on 11. Most recently, he coached on the Rays staff for the last 10 years. Think about that, you just break off a clean decade like it was a piece of cheddar at the end of your 66 year career in a random gig like The Rays. I guess that’s how you get to 66…..

None of us will ever forget the bizarre mismatch between Zimmer and Pedro Martinez during a 2003 playoff game. I’m not going to give the link, it’s painful to watch. Pedro did nothing wrong there, in my opinion. You have some dude zeroing in on you, you have like half a second to recognize the threat, and then you just quickly decide to send him past you. Adrenaline is up. I don’t fault Pedro there. And Zimmer’s apology after the game was one of the most heartfelt apologies I’ve ever seen a baseball professional man make publicly.

Every baseball dugout should have a *Don Zimmer* sitting on it’s bench. And you’d think that there’s a million *lifers* who could do just that. And yet, I can’t think of another one who did it quite like Zimmer. One lifer. Gone today. Easy to honor.

1. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Wonderful post Craig. Agree with everything you said about Zim.

2. WilcoJoe said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Great post Flav. I would have paid big money to have sat at a bar, next to the Zim and listened to baseball stories all night long…The Hall of Fame should make him the first inductee as a bench coach.

• WilcoJoe said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:37 pm

And while were at it, Mike Murphy needs to be the first and only equipment manager inducted into the hall.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

good one

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:00 am

I second on both accounts (Popeye – first inducted as a bench coach, and Murph first inductee as equipment manager).

• stickman said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Interesting idea W.Joe. Of course he also played a bunch of while and managed to do that too over a long and colorful career. Truly a baseball character for the ages. Another one where they broke the mold.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Nice tribute to Popeye, Magnus. I forgot he was with the Giants. And tweets by Rays folks say his tenure with them was his longest, which makes a great trivia question.

(To digress: this came up at the Syracuse Chiefs game last night: Which baseball Hall of Famer has the freshman scoring record for the University of Cincinnati in basketball? Apparently it still stands.)

4. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Padres limited to one hit, but win.

5. stickman said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:47 pm

They come at you from more ways than Sunday. Tonight it was our Juan and only Perez with that twofer Dinger following a singleshot by Morse. Team effort to the T. Contributions from throughout the lineup are exactly what a championship team requires over that 162 game marathon. Vogie just kept on plugging and next thing you know, instead of looking at his third loss he was in position for his fourth W. And that bunch of bullies Bochy orchestrates like the maestro he is. Solid. It was a couple games back but BB15’s patience even seems to have gotten David Huff on track. And since his return “let George do it” Kontos has been nails. Seems like when Machi Man strides to the mound the team with the lumber in their hands are generally well advised to “fuggitaboudit”.

Winning road trip already assured. Many of us were a bit leery about this trek to the Midwest. Senor Snotrockets tomorrow. I like our chances ~ and love this team.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I love this team, too. Great recap. (You really do sound like Stixwix.)

• chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I know it has been asked, but Stick, are you Stixwix? I agree with Pawlie…the way you spin a yarn, it is so like Stixwix.

6. Macdog said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

RIP Zim, nice tribute, Flav. Watching Mets-Cubs, the Mets telecast just showed an old black-and-white clip of Ralph Kiner interviewing Zimmer, who’s flanked by two other Mets. Kiner asks about an upcoming series vs. Cubs at the Polo Grounds, and Zimmer answers by raving over two young Cubs: Ron Santo and Billy Williams.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:58 pm

epic

• SanDawg said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Kiner’s Korner in the house!

7. Manny said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Koufax is my answer to Pawlie’s question. If I remember right I once heard a announcer talking about Zimmer and he said Zimmer never earned a check unless it was baseball connected.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Koufax is it, according to the story I heard last night. Great Zim story, too. Tnx.

8. Bozo said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Zim never, I mean never, touched the third base coaching box. If I recall correctly he was half way up the third base line, with nobody on and wouldn’t go in it before or after an inning.

I read where our current third base coach stopped into Skyline Chili and got a couple of chili dogs, because he’s been doing it for 26 years (as a player and coach). When I read it, I thought, alright Flan, gotta keep the tradition going. Now I’m thinking, twenty six years would only be a snapshot of Mr Popeye’s baseball career, just a small Kodak moment. How many towns and traditions did he have going all those years?Thanks for the memories Zim, tonight I tip my cap to you.

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:05 pm

RIP Zimmer

10. SanDawg said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Glad to see Zim get some love here on The Flap. I actually did a post about him a few years back after finding his autobiography laying on a table in the library at my high school. It was odd as I may have been the only human on that campus at the time who knew who Don Zimmer was. Anywho, itt was a great read and one of the cool things I remember is that when he coached for the Giants he killed a helluva lot of time at Bay Meadows with Joe DiMaggio. RIP Zim!

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:24 pm

“he killed a hell of a lot of time at Bay Meadows with Joe DiMaggio.” I’m having a hard time making this connection with you my man, but I want to. Explain?

• SanDawg said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:47 pm

What’s not to get? Zim was in the bay area working for the Giants and I guess Joe D was back in the bay area at that point and they often went to the track together.

• SanDawg said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

One of the handful of greatest players of all time, a legend on a par with Ruth and Mantle, once married to Marilyn Monroe, Mr. Coffee for christ-sakes! Hanging at Bay Meadows with a grinder like Zim. I thought that was damn cool.

11. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:46 pm

No outs, Brothers pitching, bases loaded, 8-6 Sherpas . . . Come on Arizona!!!!!!!!!!!!

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

8-7, Brothers walked Parra and forced a run. Still no outs.

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Bases clearing double by Goldy. 10-8 Snakes. Hilarious

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Dateline Colorado . . . 16-8 Snakes. Typical low scoring game. 🙂

• paulinasia said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:36 pm

You do love watching the Rox fall apart, don’t you? 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Paul, especially the last few weeks. I go to the gym almost everyday, so I see my Colorado buds and they are strangely silent all of a sudden about the Rockies recent losing streak. Nice being a Giants fan in enemy territory. 🙂

• paulinasia said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I understand….

12. blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Paul, my friend from Wales, Gerry, is returning to VN next month to meet his GF Linh. Wants me to join him, but I told him I would wait a bit longer. He’s in love with the place and with Linh. Happy for him.

• paulinasia said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Good for him. Was Linh the one from that bar on Bui Vien? …… Steve, my plans currently have me moving back to Saigon around the 1st of October. So, I won’t be living there again yet if you visit this summer….

• blade3colorado said, on June 4, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, I saw your earlier post. Don’t know what I am going to do, but am leaning toward going to Cambodia and Laos first, then to Vietnam. However, I met this woman here that is quite attractive – so who knows? Anyway, everything is up in the air right now. Relaxing from my recent bay area trip.

Yeah, Linh is the same one. She loves the guy. Hasn’t asked for one thing from Gerry either. Very, very attractive.

• paulinasia said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Offline, Yahoo…

13. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm

“He (Perez) needs to shorten his swing, and think small-game. If he’s up there swinging for the fences again, it’s not going to work for him.”

Alright, who’s the IDIOT that wrote that?! What a blockhead! What a nincompoop!
    Oh….it was me. 🙂
    Hey, but I did write this, too:
    “Another opportunity for Perez to show he belongs.” So, that part’s right. 🙂

14. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm

SDawg, hanging with Zimmer would fit the pattern for Joe D.
    Zimmer was surely polite and deferred to Joe as baseball royalty; Joe expected to be the head cheese in all social situations.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 5:47 am

Except with Marilyn and certain authors (Miller). LOL.

15. zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:15 pm

White Sox win! They shut the Dodgers down all series. The only Dodger win was because of 5 unearned runs.
    The Giants are up 9 games in the loss column. The Dodgers are 1 game above .500.

• snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Dodgers keep this up through June and Donny two-trips may be out of a job. Thing is, he might not care…

16. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Dodgers lose. G’night, girls.

17. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

The thing about baseball “lifers” like Zim is that I imagine they enjoyed every day they were ever “at work”. They might not have enjoyed all of it, they might not have liked everybody they came across in their dugouts, but in some way they enjoyed what they were doing every day, and probably had no earthly wish whatever to be doing something else. Or if they did, it was just a fleeting thought as they dealt with some lameass player or front office dude giving them some S. How could you not like to go “to work” every day at a green-grassed ball yard and either play ball, or coach it? I would love to have had a work life like that…

• zumiee said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm

A low point for him was the 1978 playoff game, the “Bucky Dent game.” He was the manager of the Red Sox at that time. But, the high points are that much sweeter for having endured the low points; and of course, he experienced many high points in his career, in addition to the daily satisfaction having such a long career in baseball, with the daily joy of going to the ballpark.

18. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Great post, Craig. With you, I thought Popeye spent at least 4 years here as a Giant. But he was the living embodiment of the wonder of the game of baseball. 66 years in the game is astounding.

19. chipower9 said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:24 pm

RIP, Popeye. The dude just looked like he belonged on a baseball diamond.

Paul – I am down with a Flapalooza…either a watering hole to watch a game or taking in a game. Only one weekend series in your time frame against the Phils. Tix are 70 and up.

20. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I had no idea Zim was working in some capacity with the Rays, let alone the last friggin decade. I would have thought he retired years ago…

21. Alleykat said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:33 pm

You know I didn’t see the game tonight, cause I wasn’t get drunk at my local watering hole, but I noticed the box score and besides are .048 hitter Juan Perez hittin the shit out of the ball and having the GW fucking HR, the way Bochy masters the BP is just freakin amazing!!
    Every move pays off from Gutirrez,to Lopez to Machi to Romo he pulls out the best scenario to win a game!!
    Boch is the best in the game with match ups bar none!!!!

22. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Re: tonight’s game.
    I love me some home runs…

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 7:58 am

Flappers dig the long balls…especially when they are of the “game winning” variety, and even more so on the road in a bandbox like Cincy.

23. snarkk said, on June 4, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Cincy newspaper article says Zim’s son Tom is a scout for the Giants…

24. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:27 am

I just read that “competitive balance” MLB draft picks CAN be traded. The ONLY draft picks that can be traded. I did not know that. I will dig further on this at another time…

25. paulinasia said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:43 am

In case you missed this on MLB.com… Mattingly might not have actually called them “dicks” but it’s probably what he was thinking: If they’re all dicks, I wonder what direction that would be….

26. paulinasia said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:45 am

‘Today’s managers usually take the heat for their players’ failings, until they won’t. Then they sound like Don Mattingly did after the Dodgers’ lackluster 2-1 loss on two hits to the White Sox on Wednesday night. “Really, I think you should talk to them,” Mattingly said, kicking the blame to the players responsible for falling a season-worst eight games out of first place. “I’m tired of answering questions, honestly.” Mattingly suggested club chemistry was a problem, saying his players weren’t “pulling in one direction.” ‘

• James said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:20 am

Or he can look specifically at his bullpen. I don’t know about their character or clubhouse demeanor, but they have torpedoed the LA season so far with their performance on the field.

27. paulinasia said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:47 am

Chi — $70 a ticket means I’d likely prefer a watering hole….

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 7:57 am

Agreed, Paul. When we did the last one at the yard, we all got Club Level seats for around $36…that is reasonable…actually a pretty damned good deal. The $70 seats are bleacers. Club level were starting at around $100.

I am not in the Bay Area (Placerville), so will see if Flavor or someone else lights-off an email re: a Flapalooza at a watering hole in the BA somewhere.

28. willedav said, on June 5, 2014 at 7:36 am

Yeah, props to White Sox who climb into 2nd place. Abreu (the anti-Puig Cuban who plays game right and is respectful of others), homers off Kershaw in first AB off the DL. Next night he homers off Haren in Sox win. Big 4 Ethier Hanley AGon Kemp 1-16 behind Gordon and Puig. Last night Gordon gets 2 hits and rest of entire LU (with puig hanley AGon Kemp) goes 0 fer, Sox hit 2 more HRs off Beckett and win again.
    Lost Again boys now 13-19 at home (after dropping 3 of 4 to Pirates previously). Only NL teams with worse home records are Phils and DBax both of whom in last place in their divisions. Gotta love it…I’m sure the Hawk did.

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

Love it. Wish I knew how to upload a graphic. This post (or the Blog) deserves the SF-Still First/LA-Lost Again graphic (if you have not seen it, it is a beautiful thing).

29. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:06 am

And here is today’s line-up for YOUR San Francisco Giants…

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    2. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
    5. Michael Morse (R) 1B
    6. Tyler Colvin (L) LF
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Brandon Hicks (R) 2B
    9. LHP — Madison Bumgarner (7-3, 2.85 ERA)

Let’s take this mother down…win the series, and come home 5-2!

And again (I seem to say this EVERY FUCKING DAY)…let’s play some clean, fundamental, error-free ball, dammit! So tired of seeing a crooked number in the E column of the box score almost every damned day…

30. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:13 am

Vogey with win number four last night. Last year he picked-up win number four on Sept. 27 (his last start of the season). Now if they can just get Timmy somewhat on track.

I am digging the Machi Machi Man more and more all the time. Dude is a double-play inducing machine.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:18 am

Seeing a lot of chatter on the interwebs that this is this is the worst group of collegiate hitters in a while. So of course the Giants will select one of them. Bradley Zimmer (outfielder) is tied to them in a couple of mock drafts. Snark, if that happens do you have the plastic wrap ready?

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:43 am

Chances are SF picks a pitcher in round 1. I’ll be shocked if they go against the grain…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:57 am

I have a feeling they’ll go with a position player and fall back on their strength of identifying an arm in a later round. Sabean being Sabean.

• salty said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:15 am

Sabean has taken a position player in 4 of last 6 yrs with first pick, but overall as GM, 11 pitchers, 5 pp’s.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:39 am

Thank you for addressing these myths about Sabean. 🙂

32. James said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:18 am

Vogey and Morse are both early contenders for comeback player of the year. Vogey has been just as much of a difference maker as the Beast, which Lincecum’s performance yesterday only underscores. 3.09 team ERA. That is unlikeliest stat of the year.

33. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:53 am

It truly could not happen to a better bunch.

That 42-8 run of a year ago seems like it is light years away, but there is still a lot of ball to play. Just keep winning series and everything else will take care of itself for our Orange and Black.

• salty said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:22 am

Seems to illustrate that James is right about the bullpen.

34. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 8:54 am

Everything I have read (and this was last week) is that there is a good chance the Giants will go with pitching, and if there is a power-pitching RH starter, even more so.

35. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:08 am

I think I can post that thing, Chuck

Well, I can’t figure how to put it in a post, but I can post it in the thread . . .

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:56 am

Thanks, Charlie. Looks awesome. Love that graphic!

36. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:10 am

KNBR reports Scutaro back in Arizona after a second “procedure” has been done on his back. No clue what that means. Surgery? More platelets injected somewhere? A massage at Mama’s Massage Shack in Key Largo?…

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:58 am

If he has not got that massage at Mama’s Massage Shack, then that obviously is the problem! (grin)

37. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:18 am

Shit, that image is too bog, and I can’t shrink it.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

Looks good to me.

38. Alleykat said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:29 am

RIP Don Zimmer.
    Truly a long and remarkable career from player to coaching to manager.
    Didn’t he even have a plate in his head from a beaning?

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:36 am

Yeah, he was one of the worst victims of the pre-batting helmet days.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:07 am

I’ve read conflicting reports that he did/did not have a plate in his head. They all say he did have some screws drilled in after he got hit to relieve pressure on the brain…

39. zumiee said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:33 am

Reading some of the comments from Dodger fans on the article Chi posted, a lot of them are wishing they had Bochy instead of Two-Trips. A typical comment:
    “Cohesion? Are you kidding Don? That’s what a great manager does he creates that and team chemistry. See Bruce Boche. I was behind you as the manager but I am losing my confidence in your ability to bring this team together.”

The Dodgers are something like 3rd in the league in ERA, 3rd in the league in scoring, and yet only 1 game over .500. With the Dodgers, you get the sum of all the parts, and that’s all. And some of the parts aren’t as good as they used to be.
    With the Giants, you get MORE than the sum of the parts, and the phrase for that is ‘team chemistry,’ of course. It’s called an intangible, but it’s very tangible. And maybe it’s just a thing I like to believe, but I like to believe the Giants players really care about picking up their teammates. If somebody doesn’t come through, his teammate wants to do something to pick him up. It’s something real, IMO.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:38 am

And those Giants HRs help a lot, too. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:55 am

I think it is absolutely real, Zumiee (chemistry and all that tangible intangible stuff…).

Any chance you got in on the pre-sale to the Avett Brothers concert? I tried yesterday at noon for Memorial Auditorium in Sacto…big swing and a miss. I will get tix one way or another, though.

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:09 am

We’re giving the Berkeley Greek Theatre show a look. That’s where we saw them a couple of years ago. Great show!

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 3:35 pm

zumiee – Good luck on getting tix for the Greek show. I found out this afternoon that general public tix go on sale tomorrow morning for the Memorial Auditorium show. I will be poised and ready to strike.

I saw on a site similar to StubHub where folks (obviously based on them thinking they would have tickets for sale) were asking between low $100s and up to $400. Presale price yesterday was $55.

And yes…I have seen them a number of times. Small venue in Sacto (Grove at Woodlake Inn), small hall on UC Chico, and a few other places. They bring it every time. One of the best live shows you can see IMO. Their energy is off the charts.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

Good post Zum. Agree.

40. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:53 am

That image being too big??? I think that is an oxymoron!

Well, looks like it will have to be a comeback victory again.

And just like that…THE BEAST answers the call. Fuck Yeah!

41. salty said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:53 am

Beastly.

42. Macdog said, on June 5, 2014 at 9:54 am

Morse Power!

43. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:12 am

Funny how team chemistry sucks when you’re losing.
    The early 70’s A’s that won three straight titles — those guys fought in the clubhouse like madmen. I heard Dick Green (2d basemen on those teams) say last week (in an interview while the A’s were having their 40th anniversary of the 1974 team) something to the effect that few on that team got along with each other off the field, and laughed. Bad chemistry, but they still won? With Bonds on the squad along with Kent, did the 2002 Giants really have good chemistry?. Whatever chemistry it had, it had Bonds, Kent, a bunch of other hitters, and a good staff. I’ll take that and go to the playoffs with it…

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:24 am

I guess I would argue that the early ’70s A’s had the great over-riding aspect of trying to make more money, which is a strong incentive. Pre-free agent era, that World Series-winning check was a big deal to players. Nowadays, it’s laughable to think that the World Series check is any kind of incentive. So today’s teams have to find a different motivation, a different way towards team chemistry. How does a manager motivate multi-millionaire players? One thing you need is players that provide leadership, also. When Kemp and Ramirez don’t run out the ball rolling away from the catcher on strike 3, then what message does that send to the non-stars on the team? And when Two-Trips doesn’t call them on it, then it says something about what’s going on with the Dodgers.
      With the ’02 Giants, it seems like Dusty had the team on the same page, usually. I’m not as big a Dusty fan as some others, but his teams played hard for him and respected him, from what I’ve read. Not that any of us knows for sure, probably. A lot of stuff on a team happens away from our eyes. Hotels, bus rides, plane rides, clubhouse, etc.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:32 am

I do believe the 2010 Giants definitely had some chemistry contribution to the success. Pitching was dominant, but to win all those “torture” games, the players really had to come together in some way. They were the misfits — there were not great position players on that team — Buster was just a rookie, I wouldn’t call him great at that point. 2012 is a little harder to pinpoint the chemistry working there — Wilson and Huff had essentially no contribution that year…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:44 am

Well, to me it’s ironic for a team with “bad chemistry” to be having a 40th anniversary get-together (or did you mean he was just citing the date?). Anywho, I bet all of those guys are best buds now.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:59 am

Surprising as it seems, the A’s actually put together a promotional thing — celebrating the 40th year anniversary of the ’74 champs. Apparently, most if not all the team members showed up, except Catfish who passed on some time ago from ALS…

44. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:16 am

On the flip side, the Giants chemistry was fine last year. They just couldn’t hit or pitch. Sure it helps, but as the A’s proved (and the Yankees under Billy Martin) you can win without it.

45. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:16 am

Oh yeah! Game time!

Game cast . . . boo

46. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:26 am

Pavlovic reports:
    “Marco Scutaro is back in Arizona after a PRP injection in Florida. He’s only doing conditioning work right now, because he had to rest a week after the shot. There remains no timetable for his return.”

47. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:30 am

As Earth, Wind, and Fire said, the 12th of never.

48. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:35 am

If Morse keeps this up, he’s going to hit 30+ bombs and near 100 RBIs, give or take. What kind of coin will he command if that happens? He’s 32 now. 4 X $17M?…

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:46 am

With his injury history, a four year deal may be a hard pill to swallow. But WTF…it isn’t my coin.

49. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:36 am

Bombs away from Craw!…

50. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

With a runner on first, why did Bum START to bunt when he’s down 2 strikes? Fouls it off for a K. I don’t get that…

• stickman said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:45 am

Situationally, Bumgarner may have become bored with his A.B., with that four run bulge and all, that he figured he’d try something weird.

51. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:42 am

Crawfish!

52. stickman said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:43 am

CrawDADDY! To reiterate that earlier posting ~ you never know where they’re gonna come from. Giants have found their big stick and they can pop that power from anywhere in the lineup. Put this bunch in a bandbox and bombs away. Top that with Senor Snotrockets on the mound and opposing teams are like so many bullcalves lassoed and ready for branding and cutting.

Question for Blade: Does the Box of Rox offer rocky mountain oysters at their snackbar?

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:46 am

Yes. Or, at least they did the last time I was there Stix.

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:48 am

Who’s your CrawDADDY!? Love it…

53. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:47 am

Damn – step away from my desk for a couple of minutes and the MudBug goes yard. And then he flashes the leather bottom of the inning. From the description on the radio…it sounds like a play I would have liked to seen.

54. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:52 am

The Professor flashing the leather again…fuck yeah!

Tulo WHO? Fuck Tulo…Craw had better make the AS squad. Dude deserves it even if it is not as a starter.

55. Macdog said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:54 am

Craw takes a Leake — deep.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 11:09 am

Nice…

56. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 11:21 am

Looking at the highlight, Morse’s dinger was upper deck Lcenter, maybe 10-15 feet to the right of where Buster deposited Latos’ pitch in the 2012 NLDS decider…

57. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 11:44 am

Radio guys report Panda hitting .301 LH and .167 RH. Would he really hit worse than .167 if he batted left handed against LHPs? Disparity like that makes we wonder whether the threat of the switch hitter is really that big of a deal…

58. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 11:52 am

Can anyone name an elite pitcher (not named Tim) who is face planting this season?

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Timmy hasn’t really been elite, except the checks he gets, for about 2 seasons now…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Well, there is someone who was just as good, who hasn’t been elite for sometime either.

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Sabathia before he hit the DL.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Good choice Mac . . . However, I was only thinking of players who are currently pitching. Verlander. His fastball has lost giddy up the last 4 years. In fact, today he is getting his ass handed to him.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm

KUD
        Kate Upton Syndrome…

59. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Pagan OBP .429 for this Cincy series. 4 times OB today out of 5 ABs…

60. Macdog said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

MadBum has been lights out after that shaky 1st inning.

61. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Big Country at 106 pitches through 8. Does Bochy trot him out for a potential complete game?

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Let him go 120 tops, see if he can pull off the complete game…

62. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Kontos in. Maybe if it were a shutout Bochy lets Bum go for it…

63. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm

blade will smile at this. Rocks have lost 6 straight, 9 of 11…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:36 pm

You should see the blogs and Denver Post comments. Not one positive comment. However, I used the “Sherpa” moniker after identifying myself as a Giants fan and they weren’t amused. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Atta boy! Way to represent in enemy territory! Fuck the Sherpas and the mountain goats they rode in on…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, the fuckers have no sense to at least get horses. Seriously though, (at least) the fans that comment are pissed about this team (again). However, that being said, most could give a rat’s ass. This is a Broncos town and the only reason to go to a Coors Canaveral game, is for sun and meeting women. The product on the field is secondary. Think Cubs and you’re spot on.

64. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Humm Baby!

65. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Giants retired last 19 batters today. Impressive series win. 5-2 on this roadie impressive again. It’s still early, but boy, this club looks like it is heading out of 3rd gear into 4th for summer driving. Save some gas for 5th gear down the stretch and into the playoffs…

66. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Ballgame! 5-2 roadie…Fuck Yeah!

67. Bozo said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Good win, good road trip.

68. Macdog said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm

We Kicked Reds Posterior in Cincinnati.

69. willedav said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Wow, nicely done. Bum now 8-3 after 2 dominating performances on the road trip.

70. Irish Kevin said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm

all you guys were talking about how nice it would be if the Giants were to get a split on this road trip. If I were the Giants I would be asking you guys “how do you like me now”?? ha ha ha

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Anytime you do .500 on the road, it’s rule of thumb you did well. Me? I would have taken 3-4 and been happy with it, considering the excellent competition we were going against and the locale (hot, humid . . . in short, fucked up weather, which we seem to have avoided for the most part). As Unca said, this is as good as it gets.

71. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

5-2 is about as good as it gets, Kevin. I thought 4-3 was fine. But this team set the tone with that 1st game coming back 3 times to win in the end. These guys are seriously rolling.

72. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Giants and A’s clearly the class of both leagues at the moment. I wouldn’t mind a 1989 redux — minus the EQ. That would be an epic deal for the Bay Area…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Epic deal? Correcto El Mundo . . . IT WOULD BE A POTENTIALLY “EPIC” FLAPALOOZA TO END ALL FLAPALOOZAS!

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm

All Flappers start visualizing that shit right now. The power of attraction is real…make it happen.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Ditto!

• Irish Kevin said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Less the EQ and less the sweep by the A’s.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm

A WS version of Flapalooza would be sterling.

73. Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I am with Blade and would have been happy with 3-4 on this roadie (for all the reasons mentioned). And as I mentioned the other day, 4-3 would be sweet. Anything over that would be awesome. Well, we got us a whole lot of awesome on this roadie.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm

That long roadie before ended 7-3, this one 5-2, that’s two tough roadies yielding a 13-5 return. I’d take that record at ATT in a heartbeat. On the road, that kind of success means this might be a special year…

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Abso-Fucking-Lutely…

74. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Giants play 27 out of the next 35 games in the Bay Area…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Nice to have a big lead and breathing room, although I don’t know how to act when the Giants aren’t putting me through torture. 🙂

75. snarkk said, on June 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Bum was nails today, but best D maybe of the trip helped out — Chi should be diggin that. Left side of infield was pickin it. Panda’s pick and throw on Hamilton’s grounder in the 6th was a beauty…

• Chipower9 said, on June 5, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I did dig it, snarkk. All of the errors over the past several weeks are bugging the fuck outta me. It’s cool that they won many of those games, but really, over the long haul, if you expect to get to October, and go deep, you have to play some clean baseball (well, cleaner than our boys have played of late).