Another Notch on My “No Hitter Buddy” Belt Buckle

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 26, 2014

Like many Giants fans, I was at work during Timmy’s masterpiece. In the 6th inning I started rummaging around for that old radio I used to listen to the NLDC game vs Cincinnati in 2012. I couldn’t find it. Had a co-worker bring a radio in. It didn’t work.

So I called on the only other reasonable option I could think of:  I left work.

I bee lined it to the closest bar about 2 miles away: The Dutch Goose in Menlo Park. They’re known for their deviled eggs which are devilishly delicious. I got to the Goose in record time but was devastated to discover that every single tv had the stupid World Cup game on. I tried to explain to a worker about the pending Timmy no no but there was a bit of a language barrier and I don’t think he cared much about baseball anyway.

I left the Goose but not before powering down this:

eggs

Not wanting to risk going to another establishment where my pull was limited, I headed across town to my buddy’s bar in Los Altos. Thankfully, it was the bottom of the 7th (a long inning) so I made it in time for the top of the 8th. As I enter I realized all was right with the world as every single tv had the Giants game on. No pull necessary except the bar stool I *pulled* out.

There weren’t a ton of people there so I had to make small talk with the patrons. Normally I hate that shit but all 6 of us had the commonality of the game so it wasn’t totally irritating. We made a few $1 side wagers. We promised to each slam a beer, in unison, if Timmy finished the Pads off. We never followed through on that promise….

After Timmy got the final out and we’d finished high fiving each other, one of the guys declared us “No hitter buddies!” I was in a reflective moment, and, quietly to myself, declared that kind of a gay thing to say. 🙂  But it got me to thinking, I can remember everything about the other 6 Giants no hitters that I watched (or in the Count’s case, listened to). I remember who I was with, what we were eating, the color of the walls.

Around 4pm we all wandered away from the bar, and each other, likely forever. Six brand new no hitter buddies, off to live the rest of  their lives separately, but bonded forever…….

helmet

1. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Nothing is going on with the team. SP has sucked (good starts last two games, tho). Bullpen has been suspect. Lost their bats. As I said earlier…two weeks ago they were the top club in driving in runs with two outs. Panda had so many chances tonight and pulls an 0-fer. Whole damned team decided to tank at the same time. Come on July…

2. willedav said, on June 27, 2014 at 8:31 am

Well pitched game from Vogs last night. Giants get more of same from rest of rotation I think they’ll be fine. Had some chances last night, couldn’t get the clutch hit.
    Nice to see Posey playing regularly and returning to form of old–that blast off Chapman was eye opener, 400 ft rocket. Blanco and Craw combine to cut down another runner on play at the plate after a long drive. Panik had a nice one too to get Hamilton, though he is still 0 for ATT in 4 games.

Macs 9:59 POTD, Chi’s F the reds announcers close second. Though playing these guys just doesn’t seem the same without Dusty in the dugout.

I saw scrolling through NBA draft (and good luck to left coast guys Huestis Powell Gordon and Thames) that a 7-2 guy from Cape Verde got taken in second round. Jazz world lost one of my heroes last week, pianist Horace Silver, whose mom I believe was from there and who did famous LP “Cape Verdean Blues”. Great player and composer whose Blue Note CDs from 50s/60s I enjoy on regular basis still today.

3. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 9:59 am

Who in blazes is Blue Note?

4. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 10:01 am

Last night’s loss was on Panda.

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 11:25 am

Agree, Loo. He gets a hit in a couple of his ABs, Giants win that game.

I will take a start such as Vogelsong’s last night for the rest of the year. The team needs to score some damned runs!

5. snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 10:16 am

Gyros are now 2-9 in their last 11 games at home. That is huge for the long term outlook on the season. It’s going to be very difficult to win this division now…

• Alleykat said, on June 27, 2014 at 10:39 am

Maybe we need a human sacrifice or 2
      Arias comes in mind, along with Andrianza.

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

snarkk. 11 games is a microcosm of the season as a whole (and 13% of the home schedule). Things can change for the positivie as quickly as they went South the last two weeks or so. I am not trying to be a Polly here and gloss over the latest funky streak, but instead trying to be real, and keep things in perspective.

Anyway, I personally think it way too early to be making a statement such as that (going to hard to win the division). Sure, the lead is only 2, but damn…even with the

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Chi, my view on that is that they have effectively already blown a huge home field advantage over the space of a month in the schedule against good to beatable opponents. September is really a tough schedule, the majority is away games. If they are in the hunt for the division then, the schedule is not favorable. Before the season, I had LA winning the div and Giants a WC. With Pagan out, Giants starters iffy, and LA starters coming on strong, I’m still going with that projection…

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm

That’s cool Tom. I just still think it a bit pessimistic. Too much ball left to play and too many potential variables.

6. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2014 at 11:30 am

nightmare of the last 2 weeks, what is the true nature of the team?

heh heh. Sorry, Chuck. Couldn’t help but to jump in.

Man, I don’t know what to think at this point, either. You think things would jump a little from Timmy’s no-no, but it was another lackluster performance from the offense last night. People can point to the pitching as they will, but when you stop scoring, you can’t win.

Are they as good as the first 2 months? Or is the last 17 days the real team?

I’d like to think it’s somewhere in the middle, but until the downward spiral stops we are nowhere near good enough for the playoffs.

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 11:53 am

I agree, Charlie (Unca)…I think the team is somewhere in the middle of the great run, and the recent nose dive. And I definitely agree on your point about where the team is, that is you told most at the beginning of the season the Giants would be 13 over .500 and in 1st place…they’d all be happier’n shit (I know I would be).

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 11:54 am

But again…I think it way too early to go “doom and gloom.”

7. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2014 at 11:44 am

I mean, statistically we are in 1st place and 13 games over .500. If you had said this is where we’d be now when the season started, I think most folks would jump for joy.

But when you look at the reality of 4-12 in the last 16 games, it doesn’t look so great. Which is why statistics are misleading . . .

• Nipper said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm

BLEEP!

8. snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm

After a nice first game in Arizona, it’s too early yet for a decision on stay up or go back down. But Panik is looking every bit a AAA player so far. He’s gotta start picking it up soon both with bat and glove…

• stickman said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Panik: Don’t push the button till he has had some ABs away from getting ATTed. I hate the corporate bullshit money driven greed with the name of the venue. Willie Mays Field. Greatest ballplayer of all time and he is still with us. Fuck the corporate agenda. Let’s get real. The ownership circle has enough resources to drop the phonebill evil like a hot, stinky rag. NOBODY needs or should have a billion dollars. Fifty million and a person could very comfortably live on the dividends and other returns.

Think of the good karma the Giants would have by naming the place after #24. As it is…

9. Irish Kevin said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Relax take deep breaths, we all knew the Giants were not going to keep up the pace they were going for the first 2.5 months. I want to say in 2010 the in August the Giants were not playing good ball. And look what happened. Baseball standings in July equals long season.

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Agreed. Long season. They’re still in good shape, especially for a WC spot, at least. Really need to get Belt and Pagan back in this lineup regularly to stop the offensive bleeding. Morse needs to get going again, too….

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:35 pm

When the club was going well it seemed like they took the first game of every series. The last few weeks that hasn’t been the case and then it feels like swimming upstream playing it out. I didn’t catch all of last nights games but a 3-1 loss with Vogelsong going 6 didn’t leave me discouraged. Getting Belt back will help but I’d like to see Bochy try someone else leading off because Blanco isn’t cutting it. Put Crawford in there for a game or two. Who knows?

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Definitely would like to see someone else in the lead-off spot. Blanco belongs at the bottom of the order. Crawford or Pence would be my first choice (bat them 1/2), either way. And they need to improve with RISP. No way I expected them to lead MLB in that category for the entire season, but fuck, they have to do a better job than of late (think Pablo last night)…

• stickman said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Been thinking along the exact, same lines for nearly a week now. Blanco does best when there is not too heavy a burden on his slender shoulders. Leadoff is not for him. Crawford, on the other hand, keeps growing as an ML hitter and may possess the psychological tools to do a decent fill-in at leadoff.

11. stickman said, on June 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Offensive shortfall last night can be simply attributed to the fact that four of the eight position regulars were not available. Lineup was short and not so sweet. Pablo is dynamic but not reliable. Same is true with Morse when he is not in a hot streak. I have almost no doubts that if Pagan, Belt, Morse AND Scutaro were all in the lineup last night Giants would have pulled it off. Only steady performers amongst the regulars were Pence and Posey.

One positive development was that Vogie pitched a very strong game. Whodda thunk it that Machi would have a meltdown. First time this season, tough. Better now than August or September. Second positive was Duvall’s dinger. Double effect: Puts Pablo on notice that he better perform or his replacement has some pop and is champing at the bit. Second half: AL teams scouts will follow this kid closely. If he clouts a few more between this short stint and September they may drool over his DH possibilities. The Price could be right in this situation. Tampax Bay would want more, no doubt. If Duvall shows a bit more of that pop SF would not necessarily need to include one of say, our three top rotation prospects in a trade centered on this kid.

12. Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I read where Scutaro was a bit sore after his first game action (3 innings) in quite some time, but that he will make the next start and go 4-5 innings.

Belt DH’d for San Jose last night and went 1-3 and was hit by a pitch. He’ll continue DHing for San Jose through the weekend, and then will make some starts at 1B for Fresno. If all goes well, Belt will join the club for the flight to Dago next Thursday.

13. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Jints really had no business opening up that big lead on the rest of the division. It was kind of a fluke considering how little they were getting out of their biggest stars. As Gordon Gekko said, “A fool and his money are lucky to get together in the first place.”

14. Irish Kevin said, on June 27, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I agree lets get someone new in the lead off spot. Blanco shooting blanks is not working.

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Insert here my usual rant for bunts and slap grounders for Blanco to be effective. Apparently he says he practices that stuff all the time, but where is it? He’s not a good leadoff guy, and let’s face it, he’s a 5th OFer type, good with glove, not so much with the bat. After several years of seeing him now, that’s what he is. Pagan needs to come back, stat…

15. snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:01 pm

If the Giants qualified as a WC team, that wouldn’t be the end of the world, though I do not like this one game playoff stuff. If MadBum is healthy, I’d put him up against anyone in a one game do or die. BTW, I thought after the first year, they were supposed to change the new WC system to a best 2 of 3 series, not just the one game, but it looks like it will be just the one. Was I hallucinating on that?…

16. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Try Panik at the top. Make him feel important. Seems to have a decent eye anyway.

• unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Yeah. why not? Blanking Blanco is certainly tiresome at this point.

• Chipower9 said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:34 pm

While he hasn’t had a ton of success in the short time up, I do like his approach at the plate. Sure as hell can’t be any worse than Blanco.

• stickman said, on June 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm

As much as i want the kid to make it big, it may be a bit of a burden this early on to expect Panik to set the table. Ultimately, he could be a decent #2 as he is primarily a contact hitter. Harped on it before, Pence is waaay too much of a hacker to fit in the two slot. Belt could go there on his return. If he’s not under orders to be a slugging first baseman he does tend to have many of the attributes desired early in the lineup.

• blade3colorado said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:34 pm

The above news report is disturbing, due perhaps because I forgot or wasn’t even aware about this part of the article:

“Fox also cited testimony that Stow’s blood-alcohol level was .18 percent — more than twice the legal limit for driving — and a witness account of Stow yelling in the parking lot with his arms up in the air.

“There were three parties responsible — Sanchez, Norwood and, unfortunately, Stow himself. There were things Mr. Stow did that put these things in action,” Fox said.

He added, “You don’t get yourself this drunk and then say it’s not your fault.”

Still processing the aforementioned, i.e., I don’t even know if it is all together true (part about Stow yelling with his arms in the air). In any event, no one deserves what happened to him, regardless of their behavior or imbibing.

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

blade, it was reported early on that Stow had been drinking. But, the stories put out on the situation over the ensuring time, at least that I saw, never played up that angle of it, given his grave injuries. I had not seen anything until this thing you just put up what the exact extent of his booze level was. Pretty high. Stowe being drunk is no excuse for the cretins that jumped him. But, for the Dodger legal beagles, it’s a fact that plays into their defense and IMO may affect the comparative level of fault the jury attributes to him and to the Dodgers. Obviously, not a good fact for his case. My guess is the jury will find the Dodgers mostly responsible (75%?, who knows), and the award will be high. Dodgers will appeal based on whatever, then the settlement negotiations begin. The jury award will set the ceiling for the settlement negotiations…

• blade3colorado said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Excellent post . . . Thank you for explaining this to me.

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Someone once told me that no one has ever been prosecuted for lying in a civil case.

17. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Bochy actually batted Fontenot 3rd a few times…

18. snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Why is it that the Giants do not get in the mix for these top-end Cuban dudes? Instead, Sabes signs Carbamell of whatever his name is, a 5th OFer type that heads for single A ball and is called a “project” by at least one scribe…

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Osvaldo Fernandez made them gun shy…

19. blade3colorado said, on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm

This is a fascinating column about Lincecum’s distinct problems out of the stretch with men on versus him pitching with a windup and no men on base (look at the graph).

Also, for you ledge climbers, this column is the best explanation I’ve read (to date) of what happened to Giants in the 1st 2 months of the season . . . and this last month.

20. blade3colorado said, on June 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm

After the Kings selected their numero uno pick . . . “Gimme 5 bro”

21. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2014 at 4:10 pm

‘Doom and Gloom’! Haven’t heard that one in a while!

I don;t know. Sure would like to see them reel off a few wins on this current homie.

22. WilcoJoe said, on June 27, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Holy shit, I do see Spongebob in Flav’s beer! However, what’s more disturbing is that someone here actually looked close enough to spot it. Who does that?

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Actually it was a buddy of mine who saw it and mentioned it to be. Squidward is higher and slightly below is Patrick

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Looks to me like Mr. Peanut with boxing gloves…

23. zumiee said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Brandon Phillips has been good, but not necessarily great against the Giants, when the stats are looked at. It just seems like he’s always tormenting the Giants. Here’s his stats vs. the Giants:
    155 AB
    44 hits
    11 doubles
    0 triples
    5 HRs
    19 RBIs
    6 BB
    27 SO
    .284 .319 .452 .771

24. zumiee said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Lots and lots of awesome posts on this thread; but I’m recommending that someone pop up a Game Time thread for tonight.

25. zumiee said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

From a recent trip to the library, I snagged that book about Wilt’s 100 point game that one of the Flappers recommended (Willie maybe?), and the new Pete Rose biography, by Kostya Kennedy. Pete’s not a very likable guy, but I’m a big fan of Kennedy’s baseball writing, so I expect the book to be well-written and pretty interesting.
    I’m currently reading an historical novel by Bernard Cornwell. It’s about a British soldier serving in India in 1799. The character’s name is Richard Sharpe, and Cornwell has a whole series of Sharpe’s adventures in India, and then later in the wars vs. Napoleon. This is the second book I’ve read in the series. I don’t know how many of them I’ll read. I haven’t read a “series” in a while, and it’s kind of fun to do that once in a while.

26. snarkk said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Cueto going tonight does not bode well for scoring runs. Not sure we can count on him hurting himself again early in the game like he did in the playoffs against the Giants…

27. zumiee said, on June 27, 2014 at 5:42 pm

New thread posted: Game Time thread.

28. zumiee said, on June 27, 2014 at 9:40 pm