A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Time to Play Ball!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 18, 2014

I feel like I’m awakening from a bad dream. So excited for baseball again. I built 20 different fantasy line ups at 4am. I’ve cleared my schedule so that I actually get to watch the entire game this afternoon (those 4pm games are not easy to make).

Buster has had a long, long rest. God knows he needs his rest. Maybe he starts the “2nd half” raking. His OPS is at an alarmingly low .753. I’d like more from my 167 Million Dollar Man.

I wish we weren’t playing Miami. They are one of those teams that always seems to give us fits while the rest of the league wipes the plate with them.

But whatever, I’ll stop now. I’m starting to get negative and this is a day for positivity. Positively.

1. willedav said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Dunno how to forward it, but check out the box score from that day:
    In front of 13 thou on Tuesday at the Stick…and we all know what night games even in summer were like. June swoon of 11-16 left Giants in 5th under erstwhile Tom Sheehan later replaced by Rigney. SF ended up 16 out to eventual world champ Pirates at 79-75.

Mays at that point in season july 19 was hitting .344 with OB of .409 and slugging of .619, for OPS total of 1.028. All this at the Stick, where park factor for hitting that year was 90 (under 100 favoring pitching). And that night he stole his 20th base of the year. How much would those numbers be worth today?

2. snarkk said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:13 am

9 runs! And, Ted is back?
    WTF?… πŸ˜‰

3. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:17 am

The guy I would like to get as Pagan insurance is Chris Denorfia. I think williedav or someone else here has mentioned him before. Shouldn’t cost much and he can do the job.

• paulinasia said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:28 am

Pagan insurance, much needed. I’m pissed at him for getting hurt and hurting the team yet again.

4. paulinasia said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:27 am

And yes, Ted we do smell kinda funny to them. Although the girls kinda like it…. πŸ™‚

5. salty said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:33 am

I looked up and saw 8-0, I thought seeso much for my pessimism. Fuck it, I’m going with 93 wins.

Would be nice to think it’s May all over again and they run off a 6-1 road trip, then take 4 of 6 at home and get Zobrist.

Schedule for LA is Stl, Pitts Sf on the road, then the red hot Braves at home. I want a 5 game lead Aug 1.

Am I delirious?

• DJLoo said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

If they can do that, they might not think there’s any need for Zobrist..

• stickman said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Should Huddy and Timmy come through for them this weekend and offense keeps strutting its stuff, then its Vogie, Cain (vs Cliff Lee) and shiftback to Snotrockets and Hudson for the Phillie Phinales. Two of five looks pretty doable on this trip. Yes, it does look like the LaBumbos have their hands full for the immediate future. Evidence last night of something a few of us pointed out just before the Break: Crawford was dragging. It was even beginning to affect his fielding. Spot of R & R and Bang! Instant lead which we never even pretended to beginded to relinquish. Bochy wisely rested several of the front 9 last night. When we pick up early leads we may see more and more of Adrianza and Colvin in the lates.

6. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:37 am

Most baseball players are delusional. Take C.C. Sabathia for example . . . Dude has been losing sleep over possibly having his career end, with knee micro-fracture one of the alternatives. He was relieved to find out that arthroscopic surgery will suffice. “He (doctor) feels good about it,” Sabathia said. “[NBA player] Russell Westbrook had the same surgery and was able to come back. Obviously, you have to deal with a little bit of swelling here and there, but that is something I have to deal with. My goal is to pitch the next five or six years, past this contract. I’m confident that I can do that.”

Umm, file this delusion under the Prince Fielder folder and check out this Sabathia photo:

Hey! Fat ass! Have you ever thought a diet might alleviate those aching knees? Just wondering . . .

7. stickman said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:40 am

The Dagos reeled in quite a haul of prospects from the Angels for Huston Street. Most won’t impact for a couple years. Details on MLBTR.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

Yeah, in my opinion, the Padres pulled a “stick up” on the Angels. Street has been successful, but he’s more or less, Romo in Padre togs. No heater to speak of. Maybe it hits 90 once in a blue moon. His strikeout percentage was a career low 20.7 percent last year, due in part to a drop in swinging strike rate, which fell to just 11.7 percent after six straight seasons above 13 percent. I would imagine that it is better this year, but I have no idea what it is.

Conversely, the Padres get the numero uno prospect in the Angels system, Taylor Lindsey, along with 3 other good prospects. In short, the Angels will be geniuses if they get to the World Series and Street performs . . . Idiots, if Street does a face plant and the prospects the Padres got thrive.

8. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2014 at 9:51 am

The Padres are currently shuffling in five outfielders for three spots, consequently, Denorfia can’t get any consistency and put up a line like he did in 2013 . . . Hits-132/473, Runs-67, HR-10, RBI-47, SB-11, BA-.279

9. salty said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

Rare teams trade within the division, so Denorfia seems a long shot.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:02 am

Exactly.

10. salty said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:05 am

Very troubling news with Cain. He’s already had more time off than any of the starters with the hammie and cutting his finger.

• salty said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:07 am

….and still has a barking elbow? What happens down the stretch?

11. zumiee said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:12 am

Bochy (and the Giants) can be the master of euphemism sometimes: Cain’s elbow is “barking.” Sounds better than saying the reality: Cain has PAIN in his elbow.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on July 19, 2014 at 10:36 am

Just gotta say it. Great to witness The Return of Tedspe. Good stuff. Yumyum. As you were, gentlemen question mark.