A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Incompetent Giants Medicos Strike Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 20, 2014

It’s nice to see the Giants taking concussions so seriously, he said with heavy sarcasm. Brandon Belt got beaned in the face on a throw during batting practice and still ended up starting the game. And remember, the beat guys were mentioning BEFORE the game that they thought Belt’s back was acting up because of how he was moving around prior to the game–turns out, it wasn’t his back but rather his head, which probably felt like it was about to explode. And that’s the main issue I have with letting him play: if the writers noticed something was wrong, the freaking training staff should have known better and sat him down.

After scoring he was removed from the game with all of the usual concussion symptoms including nausea and dizziness. He should never have been allowed to play yesterday.

And in case anyone needed a reminder during the game, here’s how close the bad throw from Salty came from possibly doing some serious damage to Belt’s head:

beltball

It’s 2014, not 1954, there is concussion protocol. It doesn’t matter what the player says. And it is disturbing that the Giants played Belt yesterday when he should have been at a hospital having actual  medical professionals checking on him. He dodged a literal bullet last night. He’ll likely go on the 7-day concussion DL.

1. tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 9:42 am

I was just reading about this in today’s paper. It stated all sports, both college and pro, need to implement an objective testing mechanism for head trauma and concussions as being developed at the Tahoe Institute for Rural Health Research. They stated the biggest problem right now is all mechanisms are subjective as is everyone involved, the coaches, the trainers even the players themselves

2. tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 10:03 am

I just read James Garner died. That sucks

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 20, 2014 at 10:07 am

Very likeable, he seemed.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:34 am

Yes he did seem. At least that was the persona he exuded both onscreen and off. I recently finished his autobiography (one of those with an admitted co-writer) and it was very entertaining, pulled few punches about fellow thespians and a man I politically felt matched my own views (huge supporter, publicly, of MLK, RFK, women’s rights, civil rights, etc.) Shrewd businessman and extremely fair to the “little people” (no, not midgets) on sets, defending them against mercurial and self absorbed movie stars, directors and execs.
        But all I can know for sure is he was an actor who I never failed to appreciate a performance. There’s a channel here in SF that shows 4 ‘Maverick’ episodes in a row every Saturday night and if I’ve nothing better to do, I catch as many as I can. More of a TV star than film, I noticed I only have 3 films in my library with him but all good. ‘The Great Escape’, ‘Hour of the Gun’ as Wyatt Earp and the Clint Eastwood opus ‘Space Cowboys’. But he was really great in ‘The Americanization of Emily’ co-starring the eternally charming Julie Andrews.

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:38 am

I didn’t love everything he was in, but I loved him in everything he was in. Did that make sense? Rockford Files was one of my favorite TV shows, I don’t know how many times I’ve seen the Great Escape, liked him in Marlow, Grand Prix was crazy good etc… He just always seemed like a real class act to me. RIP Rockfish.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:41 am

Made sense to me, Bozo, because he made a lot of crap but he himself was never crap in them

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:56 am

ted, glad to see you in print again.

• stickman said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:53 am

Garner’s original family name: Bumgarner, the leading family name in a settlement known as Bumtown, North Carolina. RIP Maverick.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on July 20, 2014 at 10:08 am

Middle school soccer takes more precautions than what you described. #keepitrollinboys

4. willedav said, on July 20, 2014 at 10:22 am

First time I’ve caught start of a game all weekend. curious what you guys think about different dynamic in the booth without Krukow—Miller is calling the game on TV with Kuip filling in.
    Better, worse or just different?

And that big space behind home plate with all the fans disguised as empty seats is just weird. Not to mention with all the pro-Giants noise that sounds like a Pads home game. I’m waiting for that big blond in the orange shirt (visible when RH is up) to do something *flashy*.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:23 am

Just different for me. It would only be weird if they brought someone else in. I guess I miss Krukow’s enthusiasm since you brought it up but I’m so used to the other guys at any time…it’s all good. I think the only one that I’d really notice missing would be Jon Miller

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:42 am

Florida feed for me. Kind of bland, but they don’t really have a lot they can work with. Hell, they can’t even do stupid fan shots with all the empty seats.

5. willedav said, on July 20, 2014 at 10:32 am

Wow, fatal error. Pre game yesterday when Miller was talking to bochy the subject came up about Giants pitchers making mistakes ahead in the count. Bochy called them *put away* pitches…sure enough 0-2 Lincecum grooves one belt high on the inside.

Nice throw from Stanton, nice whack from Morse, Hector playing his way somewhere else. Man any deal Giants make I hope he’s included.

6. willedav said, on July 20, 2014 at 10:58 am

Good for Scut. I think he’s one of those guys like Julio Franco that can crawl out of bed and still hit.
    Lot of talk about Scut helping Panik with footwork and other stuff…I like that combo. If Giants pick up Zobrist I’d throw him in CF

• stickman said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:55 am

Right again. CF is where help is needed. Though Bochy is loath to use rookies it would seem someone like Hembree or Strickland might be ready for the show.

7. salty said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

Tim being helped with some seriously bonehead baserunning from fishes.

8. OFN said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:24 am

I like to wear speedos and pleasure myself to men.

9. OFN said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:32 am

Scutaro….

10. OFN said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:36 am

Bochy: you have two rings

• willedav said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:44 am

He did dumbfuck, that’s why Pence almost beat the throw from the SS for the force
      do us all a favor and go look and the mirror to watch what few remaining brain cells you have left die while you give the conqueror worms something better to do.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:56 am

Wow. The conqueror worms? I’ve always said Edgar Allan Poe references are too far and in between on the Flap

11. tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:39 am

Is OFN a new regular I was unaware of?

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:52 am

Not sure Ted,
      OFN, On Fucking Nitro?
      OFN= Operating From a Nutsack?
      OFN = Octet For Nine?
      OFN= Open Festering and Neutered?
      OFN= The Giants Are the Best Team Ever but I Still Can’t Make up a Mnemonic?

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Obey Fascist Nazis

12. OFN said, on July 20, 2014 at 11:58 am

Nice catch Blanco! I am secretly attracted to you.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:00 pm

As opposed to the huge snatches you’re used to

13. tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:05 pm

That was the coolest comeback from a balk I’ve ever witnessed including Posey’s somewhat sarcastic step on first

14. OFN said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I like hairy backs

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Nice try, Chachi. I just had my back waxed yesterday

15. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I was surprised to read that Puig hasn’t hit a homerun in a month, and Ramirez has two in the last month or so. Those two fueled the Dodgers’ run last year. It helps explain why the Dodgers didn’t get a bigger lead in the division while the Giants were floundering in the past month. In that sense, it was a missed opportunity for the Dodgers.

16. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Puig has been getting praise for being more patient and getting more walks; but a big factor in that is that teams are pitching around him more, content to walk him and go after the next hitter. HanRam and Gonzalez have not protected him well. Ramirez has really been a shell of himself lately.

17. OFN said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I love Bochy. He’s the best.

18. stickman said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Lacking Belt and Crawford today the lineup is short and sketchy. Bring home another bat, Sabes. ASAP.

19. willedav said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hey Ted, hope no HK Triad ties to your bank, but if you took it over we could call you Gweilo Dailo.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm

hahaha

20. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Rockford Files brought a different take to the detective show; humor, with a sort of anti-hero main character. Very influential show, IMO. I can see a direct connection from that show to the complexity of shows like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere and others which took TV to higher levels of quality, and paved the way for the great shows of today.

21. Bozo said, on July 20, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Get the Phils tomorrow.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Yeah, it would have been nice to sweep, but they did win the series. Hopefully Belt is back quickly.

22. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm

One of my favorite Garner performances was in a little known TV movie “Breathing Lessons,” an adaptation of an Anne Tyler novel. He starred with Joanne Woodward. Like all of Tyler novels, the film builds up in a subtle way to a big emotional payoff.

23. stickman said, on July 20, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Another one down the big swirly. Could have been a win but if you look at the bottom four in the lineup there was not much pop present. Sabean has 11 days to work the wires. Hoping BB9 situation is improving rapidly and that this bunch is up for the Philthies. Cliff Lee is gonna be tough but we could take three there. We need that because the schedule does not get easier after this road swing.

24. tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm

‘s’all good

25. salty said, on July 20, 2014 at 1:49 pm

It sucks. Hand very beatable p. The hitters just showed little patience.

26. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

You’d think a major league team could accomplish infield practice without throwing two baseballs at the firstbaseman at the same time.
    —-
    A case could be made that Lincecum should have been pulled after 6 innings. In the 6th, a bunch of balls got raked very hard off of him, including two almost-HRs that went foul. He did get through the 6th without any runs, but it was very dicey.
    Still, a case could also be made that, with the way he had pitched in the last few weeks, that he had earned a chance to try for a win.
    Tough job being manager; you’re constantly on the line to be second-guessed. It’s part of the job, though.

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I totally agree with all of this. Fucking hire some extra yahoos to stand guard or do something to orchestrate ball traffic

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2014 at 7:07 pm

A case could be made for that…

27. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Kershaw has a 1.99 ERA over his last 99 starts. He’s pretty good.

28. zumiee said, on July 20, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Martinez is pretty good, too. Should be a good pitching duel, as Cards go for the sweep.

29. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Gotta love that Ker-fax wears 22 as a tribute to his idol, Will the Thrill…

• Alleykat said, on July 20, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Yeah I give him props for that Loo.
      He’s the best pitcher in the game even if he’s a freakin Dodger!!!

30. Macdog said, on July 20, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I’ll make sure to say hi to J.P. Howell’s relatives when I’m in Amish (Omish) country this weekend.

• tedspe said, on July 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Don’t forget Thurston Howell III. He’d be mortified if forgotten. Mortified, I say

31. willedav said, on July 21, 2014 at 6:59 am

I thought Kuiper yesterday sounded great filling in behind Miller taking the lead calling the game He was into it and insightful, esp during the times Marlins kept running into outs at 3b. Once Flems came in, quality took a dive.
    I realize it wasn’t home game with all the crowd BS, but it was kind of refreshing with no Krukow.

Salt’s 1:49 was accurate tho–the SP was very beatable and LIncecum dodged enough bullets until the WP that brought in third run.
    Easy to blame bottom of the order like Baggs did on csn, but everyone is responsible. Morse can look pretty bad sometimes going after pitches way off the plate.

With Belt out all week again, that means more of Colvin and maybe Duvall and Morse at 1b. Phils have pitching still, expect more torture games that SF will have to find a way to win before LA comes back to ATT.