A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Heading into The Dog Days of Philly

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 21, 2014

Yesterday was disappointing but not surprising. The Giants have several back up players who shouldn’t be on the 40 man roster. You bat Sanchez/Arias/Blanco back to back to back and 0 for 10 sounds about right.

And if you thought it would get easier than Brad Hand (or whatever name is)  you would be mistaken as there are few in the world easier than Brad Hand.  That name almost sounds made up.

Cliff Lee comes off the DL tonight. Joy.

Though for some reason, I’m strangely optimistic. Pence and Morse have historically hit him well, pummeling him for 15 hits in 24 at bats. And that’s when he was still good. Lee is 36 and coming back from another elbow injury so I think we take the “glass half full” approach tonight.

But there is no magic wand to fix the bottom of our order. There’s no guy behind the guy. With Belt out and Scoots on a *1 day on 5 day off* work program we are going to see all the “Blanc-ias-anza-paniky-chez” we can handle…..

And Pablo can’t hit left handers anymore so maybe I’m tasting less liquid in that glass after all…..

Is it too late to pick up Cody Ross for this series? 🙂

1. salty said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Very good night for subs, but POTG might be Kontos. That was huge.

2. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Vogie is snakebit. BTW. Penm did great.

And how bout that Kontos . . .

3. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Road trip W. Allrighty.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:51 pm

First time EVER Cliff Lee gave up 12 hits and did not make it through 6 (if I said that right).

5. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm

somehow we gained .001 percentage point over LAD. .556 to .554. 11 over .500.

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:55 pm

We doubled our lead from Saturday (.001); we have Uggla; and the Russians haven’t bombed us. Life is good.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:56 pm

potd lqtm

6. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Side note: In the novel “All the Light We Cannot See,” the French refer to the German occupiers as “the Boches.” You gotta figure in some roundabout way that word plays into our Skip’s family history-etymology.

• unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Boche must mean he of gigantic head . . .

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, Bochy is French, right?

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Well, I didn’t know that! Tnx, James. Bizarre — and somewhat unfortunate — how it plays into the whole thing about Bochy’s head size. I’m going out on a limb here: Bruce Bochy’s head is physically not much larger than any other player’s or coach’s or manager’s or average human’s. It’s his NAME and what it means that furthered that myth.

7. willedav said, on July 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I’m hoping Uggla turns out like Jose Guillen…as a guy Giants got before someone better and way more productive in post season came along, like Cody Ross did.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

yeah….and dya recall how Guillen got into games; Ross hardly played, UNTIL the playoffs. Right?

8. tedspe said, on July 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I was following the game on SFGate and the last I saw was the Giants up. And then this rip-crotch IT dude resigned suddenly after only being on the job 3 weeks so I missed the rest of the game due to everyone acting all shocked, which I have to feign as the dude basically told me last Thursday he was thinking about it already. So’s I gotsta go on this new fangled internet doo-hickey thing-a-ma-jig afterwards to see what the hell happened. 7-4, Giants. Phew. Either the Giants are getting better or Bud Selig has a real weird hobby of fucking with me

9. tedspe said, on July 21, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

10. SanDawg said, on July 21, 2014 at 11:31 pm

When I was playing high school basketball, we played a game somewhere up in the foothills and stopped at an A&W afterward in Jackson, I believe. I always wanted one of those bad ass mugs, so I stuck mine in my bag after polishing off the root beer. Someone ratted me out and the head coach pulled me aside for a talking-to. I felt like crap, but he handled it real well. Everyone was on the bus except for me and him. He lectured me a bit and then said he was going to leave it up to me to do what I thought was best with the mug-he said he wasnt gonna check my bag later. He then got on the bus. I returned the mug. That whole deal made quite an impression on me and I did less stupid shit like that from that day forward.

11. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2014 at 4:31 am

I know someone who celebrated a birthday by taking a 4′ x 4′ framed photo off the wall where it was displayed at a certain racetrack. He walked right out with it unquestioned, threw it in his trunk and left.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2014 at 5:41 am

this story has Buzz Saw written all over it!

12. […] zumiee said, on July 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm (Edit) […]