A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Why The Flap Dominates In Other Blogs Faces

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 22, 2014

The thing I used to loved about this blog is still the thing I love most about this blog. Yesterday, Zumiee makes a random, innocuous comment about hitting up A&W for lunch before the Giants game:

zumiee said, on July 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm (Edit)

Today I had lunch at one of the original old A&W places, from back when car-hops brought things out to the car. I had root beer in a cold glass mug. Good times.
Now I’m ready for some BASEBALL!

And then, despite a game going on (and a good one at that) the rest of the Flap community bobs and weaves through the baseball related thread with personal stories about burgers and best places to eat, and such. Finally, as the blog was shutting itself down, San Dawg tied it all together with an epic POTD. That one had it all, didn’t it? Sports played, lessons learned, childhood memories, humor and even a “bad ass” reference. It probably had other things, too. And then freaking Loo goes over the top of Diggity’s epic post with some cherry finality that had me laughing out loud this morning…..

So thanks to all of you guys who make this blog the BEST San Francisco Giants blog anywhere on the internet…..

________________________

The Giants beat down big, bad Cliff Lee and tonight we get to face the dude of a thousand names. I always thought it was awesome that when Roberto Hernandez decided to fake his birth certificate to de-age himself he went with “Fausto Carmona”. You gotta have some flair and a little bit of ballsy stupidity to enter the US with a made up name like that. He probably figured that if the baseball gig didn’t work out he could get a job working as a magician at the circus. “The Great Fausto!”. Yes, I know I’ve said that before. I continue to amuse myself. Carry on.

1. chipower9 said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:14 pm

bums lose…Giants GRIND OUT a huge win. Life is sweet in the baseball world.

2. chipower9 said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Genius. They just said on the post game that Timmy skipped his bullpen today (thoughts were they might need him tonight since they got deep in the bullpen last night).

3. tedspe said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:29 pm

This game reminds me of an historical story that occured during the…well one of the many Mexican revolutions some time just before or in the midst of the 20th century. Pablo Sanchez was brought before a firing squad, having been condemned to death for treason. The conquistador, (sic) Miguel Santos, in charge of the execution, brought the condemned Sanchez to the wall where he was to be shot:
    Santos: Do you wish a last cigarette?
    Sanchez: No
    Santos: Do you wish a blindfold?
    Sanchez: No
    Santos: Do you have any last words?
    Sanchez: Yes, I have a few last words. I find the entire firing squad a bunch of pigs. I find you a pig. I find the entire government filled with pigs. I find your women pigs. I find your pigs, pigs. I find all who support you pigs I find…
    Santos: HEY, HEY. You keep that up you’ll be in real trouble!
    (This story was translated from the Spanish language by Kim Jong-un)

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

• chipower9 said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Classic. If pigs could fly….G’nite, Ted. Good to see you here again.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

epic.

4. chipower9 said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Goodnight ladies. Great game. First place kicks ass…

5. zumiee said, on July 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Speaking of history, today I learned that James Garner’s original last name was Bumgarner.
    Mind = blown.

“The son of an Oklahoma carpet layer, James Garner (born James Scott Bumgarner) dropped out of high school at 16 to join the Merchant Marines. He worked in a variety of jobs and received 2 Purple Hearts when he was wounded twice during the Korean War. He had his first chance to act when a friend got him a non-speaking role in the Broadway stage play “The Caine Mutiny Court Martial (1954)”. Part of his work was to read lines to the lead actors and he began to learn the craft of acting. This play led to small television roles, television commercials and eventually a contract with Warner Brothers.”

6. chipower9 said, on July 22, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Cool stuff on Garner. I was aware of much of his past (fellow Oklahoma boy), but not the Bumgarner name. Wow. Very cool…

7. eddacker said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:21 am

Yeah, he had been a part of my life. In the beginning his manner and looks reminded me of my father. In my later years his on-screen persona and aspects of his personal life were role models for me.
    Really loved ‘Murphy’s Romance’.