Winning is Nice, A Better Team Would Be Better

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 23, 2014

That was a satisfying win. The one thing you can always count on with this team is that they don’t give up. And as a fan, while that should be the minimum that you get from the players you root for, it’s not something that all fans for all teams get game in and game out. So I appreciate their effort.

Having said that, we shouldn’t delude ourselves as we did before into believing that the best record in the NL meant we were the best team in the NL. And by 1 percentage point, we nearly have the best record in the NL….again. This is a team with gaping holes. It was nice that Jeff Manned the Ship that went down in Philly last night. But we can’t count on loser fringe pitchers to cough it up every game.

With the trade deadline quickly approaching, Sabean doesn’t have his “bad penny” excuse to fall back on this year. As usual, pitching will be the hardest asset to acquire. That has to have Sabes doing a slow burn because pitching is his favorite thing to stock pile. He doesn’t have the balls or the booty to go after David Price. I would think a more realistic target would be Bartolo “Two Slices” Colon. He’s pitching tonight, and I expect Pat the Bat to be in Seattle taking a look at The Man Who Demands Extra Mozzarella on that Shit…..

Bonus: the strip joints in Seattle suck so Pat might actually have both eyes and his brain on that game tonight…..

1. stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:14 am

No believers during the June Swoon. Now they are coming on like one of those miracle teams we saw during those couple even years this decade. Was my belief sufficient to the task? Hell no. Felt sleepy sleep coming on after the 2-on 8th inning failure to bring one home to tie the game. So decided to can it and head upstairs. But like Flav noted, this bunch just keeps on trying ~ never really quits.

With Belt outta the lineup again and reMorse remaining in a different area code, the bopping bats have been pretty well reduced to Pence and Posey. Both came through with blasts to keep the team aglow. Nice to see Blanco picking it up, down deep in the lineup where he belongs. Those injuries keep this machine from being that well-oiled wonder we feel is possible.

Bullpen last night? Spectacular. Kontos has come back big-time. He’s a grinder. Now as for that long-man…don’t we have SOMEbody in Fresno who could serve as a spot starter. One more time and the medical staff will declare that Use Me Yearly is suffering from a Petit Mal or something like that. He’s been stinking it up as a spot starter.

How many ways will Tim Terrific go all Koufax on us? Now he’s doing the save a game while throwing a no-no in the same season bit. When it’s all said and done some writer is gonna have a ton of fun doing his biography. My choice for the cover would be #55 riding on his teammates’ shoulders holding up the forefinger #1 signifier during the Market Street parade in ’10.

An older, mostly used-up starter who can still go a reasonably decent five innings might come pretty cheaply. Maybe Sabes could add one of those to his Santa list.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:28 am

Bio cover? I would have to go Timmy on the shoulders of the team, the “1” index finger extended, right after our boys clinched their first World Series title in 2010.

2. Nipper said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:45 am

Ryan Howard used to be a hero in Philly. I guess the fans got tired of his strikeouts.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:54 am

Nice win last night. Crawford sure gets some timely hits. Bartolo “Make It A Double Double” Colon? Man, that is some free range dumpster diving.

4. willedav said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:59 am

wow, didn’t notice the BB is still up there. I nominated Destiny as her calling card, and Giants have already overcome a lot just to be where they are at top of NL with 5-7 others.
    Cain, back on the DL again after all the years of avoiding it. Belt also back on the DL after another freak injury.
    Casilla blows himself up in another crazy AB. Scutaro just now getting active,sort of, after 100 games. And of course Pagan, which forced backups into the OF and leadoff on regular basis until Pence took over hitting first. Those are all important players and not easy to replace what they bring to the table.

Zobrist would be a great fit with his versatility and high OB skill set, and if acquired I’d throw him right into CF. One more top of the order bat is what they need, not just filler. If Pagan can actually get back into playing regularly Zobrist can move back to IF, but would still be insurance going forward.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:30 am

I agree WillieD on Zobrist. He would be my primary target before the deadline. A middle of the road starter (a Colon-type is a perfect example) would be the second.

5. tedspe said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:01 am

Bartola “Two Slices” Colon. Now that’s funny

6. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:22 am

Did you say top of the order bat Willedav??? You all know I love me some Bonifacio…

•The Giants are “intensifying” their efforts to add a starter, reports Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com. With Matt Cain‘s elbow issues creating significant uncertainty, it appears that San Francisco could have a real need to add depth. While complicating factors make the Giants a tough buyer to line up, Baggarly says that Jake Peavy of the Red Sox appears to make a good deal of sense on paper. Meanwhile, San Francisco continues to look at right-handed hitting corner outfield and second base options, with Chris Denorfia (Padres) and Emilio Bonifacio (Cubs) seeming possibilities.

7. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:25 am

Great thread, Craig. Excellent point in the first paragraph. That is one of the things I admire most about this team…that they just GRIND.

Crawford atones for his error with the bases-clearing double. Posey with some key knocks. Pablo and Pence got into the mix. And Timmy gets his first save.

I disagree on Sabes not having the balls to go after Price. He has made brash moves in the past, he just does not have the bullets to get into that gun fight.

I asked yesterday if a starter has become more of a need than someone like Zobrist who can play the OF and IF and lead-off. Got a few comments. Any thoughts on that?

8. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:28 am

I take Bonifacio in a frickin second over Zobrist and no way am I going near Colon and his contract. From what I have read, Mets don’t want to pick up his salary so I say f them…Peavy’s name was thrown out as well and he is a free agent after this year, so I doubt Boston will hold on to him. Wonder if they would dangle Lackey as well, who has an option for next year (but sounds like may only be a major league minimum option). Neither would cost more than $5-$6 mill for the remainder of the year. Looks like good value to me and I could see the Nats trying add either one of them.

Detwiler may be a cheap alternative and to me much preferable to Colon. Get Peavy and Bonifacio and see if we can add Cody Ross somehow before Sept. 1 and I am golden with the team…

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:37 am

I disagree on Bonifacio over Zobrist, Gianthead. Only thing he has over Zobrist is he is a few years younger. And I see this pick-up (if they make one) as a patch for this year, and possibly another year. Zobrist has a higher OBP, SLG, and OPS…he definitely has more pop and is a more disciplined hitter. No brainer for me between these two. Ben Zobrist…COME ON DOWN.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

but much faster. Put him at lead-off and he is a much, much bigger threat to steal. Then you get Pagan and his back out of there and Pence and his RBI power back to a normal spot in the lineup…remember how hot Bonifacio was at the start of this year?

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:46 am

He has to get on base to steal. I want a guy who can put the bat on the ball and get on base CONSISTENTLY. Again…this is a no-brainer to me. I take Zobrist any day and twice on Sundays.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:16 am

he hit .313 in April with 9 stolen bases. If he could come close to that for the stretch run, he would be much more valuable. Zobrist has 5 stolen bases…for the whole year…

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:48 am

I place a higher value on a contact hitter with plate discipline than the ability to steal bags. We can agree to disagree.

9. stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:29 am

Hundred games in the book. 56-44 (my magic number + birth year) to lead the NL after one of the worst June Swoons in the history of the team which has a virtual patent on the product. So who’s complaining? Noticed where Giants pitchers continue to lead the league in WHIP while only 5th in ERA. Hitters are waay down the list in BA and OBP but up near the stratosphere in HR’s and triples. Were there a stats category in run-scoring efficiency we would rank pretty high for the tallies we mark compared with the number of hits we collect and walks we draw.

Both teams will be dragging their asses this evening. If Country Snotrockets is anywhere near on his game this evening he could be bowling those Phillies hitters down and scattering pins like crazy. He may well be the best rested man on the field tonight. My feeling going east was that we should take 3 of 4 in Philly. With Bumgarner and Hudson tapped for the two the chances of that happening are pretty good. After game two the Fillies should be pretty well demoralized ~ particularly after facing the SF bullies. Chances of Broomhilda strutting her stuff are fair to partly middling. Now in a road series that would be SOMEthing.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:40 am

Agree on all points Stick…especially taking 3 of 4 from the Phils (I said before yesterday’s game I thought they had a very good chance to do exactly that). We need Big Country to go deep into the game today (deep as in over the fence would work, too).

10. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:32 am

Also, this team has holes because so many are banged-up and on the disabled list. If everyone is healthy (Pagan, Cain, Belt, etc.), and they get a couple of starts a week from Scoots, then this team can play ball with anyone. Add a Zobrist and mid-level starter to the mix, and I think they are ready to make some serous noise.

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:09 am

Charles: Those of us who knew the strength of the team going into this season could see the strength there. Your additions would likely take us over the top and perhaps prevail in the second Bay Bridge series.

11. willedav said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

GH, Bonifacio hasn’t been same since one good year with Marlins 2011. Last year in the AL his OB was .295, this year it’s .309. He isn’t any better hitter than Blanco, which means he’d be at bottom of order. I understand his value as utility and his speed, but imo they need a more productive top of order hitter with Pagan out. Otherwise, I’d keep what Giants have at 2b and bat them 8th.
    And that’s same issue with Ben revere. He has decent avg. but doesn’t get on base that much better than Blanco. Steals bags but not first. Puff arm to boot…if Sabes makes a deal for a hitter he has to be a guy that can be a regular part of the order and one of top 6 with Pence Belt Posey Sando Morse.

As for adding an SP, I disqualify myself. I was one of those clamoring for Bronson Arroyo…
    If Cain has been dealing with this for years I’m hoping he can be OK for a few more months.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:09 am

Exactly. I listed that Zobrist has a higher OBP, SLG, and OPS, but did not specifically point out that he is a top-of-the-order guy, but you, Blade, me, and others have made that point until the cows come home. For the Giant’s need, Zobrist fits the bill so much better.

12. salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Well, Rays not dealing now and Mariners were very close to a deal for Zobrist. He looks unlikely. No idea who Sabean dangles in a trade, but assuming Crick is still off limits. The rest???? Chicago laughed when Sabes called about Samrzjda.

Pagan hitting off tee, so that’s good news. I don’t think they can adequately replace him or Cain. They are in trouble if either one is lost for the year.

Assuming they recover, I could see them adding another solid infielder and a RH complement to Blanco (move Colvin).

Budget for next yr is already at $125m or so without Pablo Morse Romo Vog…..so don’t expect them to take on anyone with big $$$ like an Utley or Price.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:12 am

I don’t see money as the principal issue on landing someone like Price or Utley…it is more that Sabean doesn’t have the quality minor league pieces to swing the deal. I think if Sabes and crew made a compelling argument to Mr. Johnson and the rest of the ownership group (and they had the trade pieces) then the purse strings could be loosened-up to swing the deal. But without the trade pieces, it just isn’t going to happen.

• salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:40 am

Agree, prospects the bigger obstacle. They have more money than God. Whether they choose to spend it is another matter. They like shopping in the bargain bin ie: Burrell, Ross, Guillen, Francoeur, Uggla….

Or when it comes to trades, Sabean usually gets em cheap… like Pence for TJoseph/Nate or Alderson for Freddie Sanchez or Culberson for Scutaro. Maybe he can pull off another

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:48 am

Yep. Ever notice that the guys (or gals) with all the coin are typically VERY frugal when it comes to spending it???

13. Nipper said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

Giants lack of depth is a killer in the long run. This team is prone to the injury bug. Lucky the other teams have problems too. Just grind away.

14. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

Flavor, in the late afternoon games for Fan Duel, consider Tsuyoshi Wada (he has struck out an impressive 120 while walking only 28 in 113 2/3 innings this season for Triple-A Iowa). He’s pitching in Wrigley Field against the San Diego Padres (insert Triple-A lineup joke here). The Friars carry a league-worst .251 wOBA versus southpaws, giving Wada a good chance for a win, along with beaucoup strikeouts. Cheapest pitcher on Fan Duel today.

15. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:20 am

Agree with Chi regarding Zobrist over Bonifacio . . . Plus, Bonifacio is injury prone. Dude just came off the DL for a hang nail (I jest . . . I think it was an oblique strain). Last year, this dude was the shits except for stolen bases. In short, when you have played for 6 clubs (YES, 6), there is a reason for that and it’s definitely not because you’re good. Sheesh GH, this dude signed a minor league contract with the Cubs for Christ sake . . . By the by, who were you thinking about trading for this schlep anyway?

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:50 am

Absolutely no offense to gianthead, but this reply had me lqtm…oh hell, I was actually LOL.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:50 am

Blade, the numbers speak for themselves below. You cannot predict injuries, but we are just talking about two more months and what Bonifacio can potentially give you over Zobrist. I believe we need a real leadoff hitter, if people agree with me, then I don’t think there is a debate between the two. Almost laughable comparing the two if we are talking about who would hit leadoff. And with a minor league contract that he signed this year, it is not going to take very much to land Bonifacio. Hector Sanchez or another middling IF type from Fresno. Cubs cant expect anything more. One would think that the Rays are wanting more for Zobrist…especially if the rumor is correct about the Mariners being in on Zobrist.

And we are not talking about Bonifacio long term here…just two months. And is there an argument that sans injury, we would have been better off starting this season with Bonifacio at second over Hicks??? Bonifacio can also can play CF and better against lefties than Blanco. He was hitting .377 this year against lefties and a .931 OPS against lefties…what about those numbers????

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:58 am

Over Hicks? Uhh, yeah no problem. Over Zobrist? You got to be kidding me, right? Let me run some recent history by you . . . Overall in 2013 (136 games), he hit .243 with 3 HR, 31 RBI, 54 runs, 103 strikeouts. Then the Royals released him.

Want more? In 94 games with the Blue Jays, he hit .218 with 3 HR, 20 RBI and 66 strikeouts. He was then traded to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for cash or a player to be named later. Probably cash, because I never found out who the player was. Hilarious.

So, yeah – if the Giants can get him for cash and a bag of balls, I’m all in. He can join the other loser, Uggla, down in Fresno.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

And again Blade, look at his numbers when he was a Royal…think the Flappers hear are actually not looking at the actual stats but their pre-determined opinions..or you all are just drunk or high.

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:13 am

Just the guy’s unharmonious name alone (presumably even in Spanish ~ unlike El Tiburon Blanco for example) is enough to make me skeptical.

16. paulinasia said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:24 am

Phils have been cited as a potential trading partner (Utley, Byrd, a pitcher or two), although the past couple of weeks, they were really still waiting to see if the team had a second wind. If the G’s take 3 out of 4 or sweep, I think that’ll knock Amaro into full sell territory. I’d still take Utley, although he’s a 5-10 guy, and he has been saying here on Philly TV all week that he loves it in Philly and wants to stay. They also have to decide about trading Hamels or Lee. For any of those guys, except Byrd, Phils would have to eat some salary as well. Hamels is a cornerstone, he ain’t going anywhere, but Lee or Burnett, maybe. Amaro’s not the smartest GM in the game, he could be had by Snake-oil Sabean. Actually.. none of this is likely to happen, I just like the scenario that the G’s are actually in Philly at this moment in time approaching the deadline and could come home with a needed addition.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:51 am

Their GM has said recently (like yesterday) that Hamels is not available. Yeah, heard that before….

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:15 am

Byrd i could see. He would contribute. Might be a bit costly and Phils may be haunted about the highway robbery of Pence from them, but well worth a try.

17. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:41 am

OK, Flappers, let’s be fair on the argument about numbers. Zobrist has not been the everyday leadoff hitter this year, while Bonifacio started every game but one leading off this year before getting hurt. Bonifacio had a better avg as the leadoff and higher SLG as leadoff and just off on OPS. Zobrist walks more, don’t know how that makes him a better offensive player than Bonifacio.

And yes Bonifacio has not had the huge year he had in 2011 since when he hit .296 with 40 stolen bases, but in 2012 he played in only 64 games and still stole 30 bases. He would have been on pace for 60 stolen bases. And last year he started the season with 42 games with the Royals hitting .285 with 17 BB and 16 SB. So over a full season that is projected to almost 60 SB again and 60 BB.

He gets moved to Toronto and his year falls apart. Who knows what the change in the middle of the season did to his approach and the overall change to the AL. IMO, I don’t think it is close between the two. Giant Head wins this argument:)

Zobrist 2014 AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Batting #1 85 9 20 3 0 2 7 14 0 14 3 0 .235 .337 .341 .678

Bonifacio 2014 AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Batting #1 242 29 65 11 3 1 16 15 0 41 13 6 .269 .311 .351 .662

I believe the Giants and their home field, a speedy leadoff hitter changes the entire lineup…as I said before with the lack of the Cubs responding to Sabean in the Smadjalongdingdong trade is not something I can answer whether they can talk about Bonifacio…plus Bonifacio will be a couple of million less for the remainder of the season.

Of course, I still prefer going after Starlin Castro:)

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

You can talk until you are blue in the face ghead (and you probably are after that one), but no way in hell you convince me on this one. Again, we can agree to disagree. I would take Zobrist ANY DAY ALL DAY EVERY DAY over your guy.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:54 am

put down the bourbon Chi:)

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:37 pm

No bourbon here, head. I am clear-headed and free of any distractions. AND, I totally disagree with you on this one. YOU are the Lone Ranger here. Many have agreed Zobrist would be the pick here. Again…your pick and that is cool, but I STILL totally disagree with you.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:44 am

I suppose Peavy might benefit from pitching in SF but his performance this year looks pretty underwhelming. Considering the steroid issues with Colon I would be surprised to see the Giants bring him over.

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

A peewee or a semicolon. I agree. One is too far gone. T’other too expensive for what he would bring to the table.

19. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:57 am

And Blade, who was right about Pagan back when that deal happened???

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:00 am

I was.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:01 am

You were too. If you recall, we were both on the same page. Flavor was too. 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

Which part? The deal or Pagan always being injured? :\

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:04 am

lqtm

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

ok good point Dirt…

20. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:02 am

Besides yourself Mr. Narcissist…again peace and love Flappers! Peace and Love!

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

Come on . . . Stick around! Seriously GH, I would be fine with either Zobrist or Bonifacio here, albeit, my personal preference is Zobrist. It’s all good . . . 🙂

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:09 am

Well of course will miss tonight’s game for a fundraiser and then a Nick Cave concert…but Nick Cave is unbelievable live…

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:39 pm

What Blade said. Zobrist is my personal pick here. It is all good.

21. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:06 am

And I forgot the original question I was going to ask today. With Timmy closing last night and Bum starting tonight, is there any word back there about someone getting called up for a spot start tomorrow so we can push Hudson back to a Friday start against the F’n Dodgers, give Timmy an extra day of rest and then move Bum up to 3 days rest for a Sunday night start on national TV for the Evil Hated Dodgers???

This will be a huge frickin battle royal against the Dodgers…a sweep will put an exclamation point on the forthcoming playoff race…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:10 am

They were alluding to that in the post game. Basically saying, hey thanks for the great effort Kontos. Too bad you’re heading to Fresno because the team needs arms. Haven’t seen any reporting on transactions though.

• gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:24 am

OK, that makes sense then if they then need a quick call up. It would make sense to me to be as prepared for the Dodger series as possible. They are not playing well, so maybe we can catch them unready and kick their asses…looks like the Dodgers are lined up to go Greinke, Kershaw and Ryu…

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:19 am

Interesting take on staff rearrangement. Might be a bit over BB15’s head, though.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I mentioned this on last night’s thread. No one thought Tim would miss his start based on his appearance last night. He did skip yesterday’s bullpen, because they thought they could possibly need him (Tim) in relief. So, I have heard nothing about Timmy missing his start on Friday, or about a call-up of someone like Kickham for a spot start.

22. Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:08 am

Phuck Philly Phans

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:12 am

How about those chumps behind the Giants’ dugout that kept writing stupid shit on their signs? Those guys were hilarious. To someone. I guess.

To be honest. I was peeping the blonde behind home plate from about the 11th inning on.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

Holy Shit! So was I and I still remember her. 🙂

• Bozo said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

Me three.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Me four! Smoking…

• Alleykat said, on July 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Me Five!!😍

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:13 am

I had to look at that photo more then 3 times . . . The player in front didn’t look like Hudson (in fact, I thought he was one of our Latin players). Lqtm.

23. gianthead said, on July 23, 2014 at 10:33 am

Nice ESPN piece on Posey…

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Very good read. Thanks for sharing, GH.

24. Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 11:53 am

2 reasons I’d go Bonafacio > Zobrist-
    1) he’d be easier to get
    2) he’s got speed and that would go a long way in our OF
    3) (I just thought of a 3rd): he’d hit a shitload of triples at AT&T.
    This is all presuming he’s healthy which I question

25. Macdog said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Tonight will be the hottest game of the series by far. The last two days really weren’t too bad at all, but it’s 90 close to the shore where I am, so it’s probably worse in Philly. Good thing we have a southern boy like MaBum who’s used to the heat going tonight.

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

May the heat on the field bring out the heat from Big Country Snotrockets.

26. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

One of the Phillies fans last night, every time the Giants were up, held up a sign that said “GARBAGE” on it, which is actually pretty funny.

Seeing that sign reminded me of a scene from Big Bang Theory. Sheldon is in Penny’s apartment, and is really enjoying sitting in her “new” comfy chair. He says something like: “Wow, this chair is so comfortable; where did you get it?!” And Penny says something like: “Oh, it was really great how I got it. Somebody just left it on the curb in front of the apartment building. I got it for free!” And Sheldon jumps out of the chair horrified and screams: “I’m sitting on garbage!!!”

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Dig the Big Bang…if you don’t watch, you probably don’t get this…Sheldon is a germophobe…

27. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Shit, that guy had the ‘Dirty Hippy’ and ‘Fix your Teeth’ signs from when we crushed their dreams in the 2010 playoffs. Funnier, Timmy wasn’t pitching yet.

28. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Bochy mixing it up a bit today:

Pence RF
    Adrianza 2B
    Posey C
    Sandoval 3B
    Morse LF
    Duvall 1B
    Colvin CF
    Crawford SS
    Bumgarner LHP

GO GIANTS!

• stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 2:17 pm

You know, i kinda like that lineup. May be best we can do with what we got. Currently.

• Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hard to believe, but Adrianza’s stats are stlightly better than Panik’s.

29. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

What?! No Blanco?!

Maybe Bonifacio is available…

30. Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Ugly batting second for Fresno tonight

31. Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 2:46 pm

2 Slices is throwing a perfect gm thru 6 right now

32. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Manship has sailed. Dude was DFA’d by PA today.

33. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Nice recap of last night’s game by Pav. Anyone heard anything about Panik?

34. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Oops…and the link to the story would help…

35. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Schulman reporting that Belt is not improving and may be getting worse. Not good. I’ve had a concussion before. Other than basically not being able to remember that entire day, my mind cleared within 3 days.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

In the harsh world of sports, this is a huge opportunity for Duvall. Gary Brown has already blown his opportunity. The Giants are starving for a centerfielder who can bat leadoff, and they ain’t calling up Brown.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Yeah, Brown isn’t exactly tearing it up in Fresno either so he’s not helping himself but I think there is a negative perception of him in the org and he’s not going anywhere regardless.

36. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Nice seeing a mention of Nick Cave today. Have a great time at the show, GH!
    Cave has had an interesting career in the arts. In addition to a music career, he wrote a well-received novel, “The Ass Saw An Angel,” and has been involved in movies, including “The Proposition,” for which he wrote the screenplay and did the soundtrack. Some of you probably saw the film; I liked it a lot. It’s a western, set in Australia, starring Guy Pearce, a really terrific actor whose been in several great films.

37. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:54 pm

A hitting coach (no idea who) thinks there should be a ban on defensive shifts. Dumb in my opinion. I have two thoughts on this: 1. If you want to shift your defense, more power to you; 2. If you’re an idiot and can’t adapt, i.e., hit to the opposite side of the shift, then tough cheese. Similarly, if dumb ass pitchers complain about someone bunting, as Colby dumb fuck Lewis did the other day – again, tough cheese (have it with your whine).

Of course, the powers that be (Bud “Car Salesman” Selig, etc.) will think this is a brilliant idea and implement it like they did the DH.

• Bozo said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:06 pm

The Giants were utilizing the shift to great success early on, but I think it bit them in the butt a bit so they backed off. I read somewhere that Wotus was really into it and again, early on I was very happy with it.

38. Chipower9 said, on July 23, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Yeah, I commented on the shift yesterday, and made similar observations/comments about hitting to the other side, etc. Quit fucking with the game, already! Bud’s ass cannot vacate the Commisioner’s office soon enough. What a dickwad.

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, banning the shifts would be achieving a Donald Trump level of hucksterism towards the game. Selig and Trump aren’t far off in approach. I don’t care how much Selig says he loves the game; at his core, he’s still a car salesman.

39. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I have the Philly feed. Wow! I’m impressed. They are really grilling Howard and talking frankly about Utley and other “pieces” like Rollins that have gotten old. Mac, you get this feed – who is the announcer guy (former athlete) with the goatee? He’s on the tip of my tongue, but can’t remember the name.

40. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Chuck, from the Schulman piece:

Joe Panik said his sprained right ankle did not seem bad, as it did not swell overnight, and he is optimistic he can play soon.

41. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:19 pm

They showed us 2 or 3 replays of Adrianza being thrown out, but none of the replays were in slow-motion. Gee, thanks. I hope Dunston had a different video feed for the game on that play.

42. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm

They were playing “Play That Funky Music, Whiteboy,” by Wild Cherry in the Phillies ballpark at the beginning of the half inning. The only reason I remember it’s Wild Cherry is that they were one of the bands playing at my high school senior trip to Disneyland. They were across the water on an island as they performed (Tom Sawyer Island?) The whole night was kind of surreal. We road a bus to Disneyland, had an all-night visit, and then road the bus back home when the sun came up. We were required to dress up, all the guys had to wear suits, and the new shoes I was wearing were wearing blisters in my feet throughout the night.

43. salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:38 pm

4-0 pirates…after 1. Haren.

• salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Vs Liriano

44. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Andrianza . . . Arrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Nine men batted for Pittsburgh in the first and four scored as they pounded Haren right from the get-go. It could mean that LA will trade off Joc Pederson to get another starter. It may take a fair bit more than that to land Price. Right now Tampax is reviewing its options as they have played well lately. Might cause LA to wildly overpay to get the best available arm.

Nice to see Duvall up his BA into the .240’s as he singles for SF’s first baserunner vs Burnett who happens to be pitching for his ticket outta Philly tonight. If our kid slugger can hit in the .260’s with a .315 OBP and an SP somewhat north of .500 he could be a sure keeper. OR he could be in showcase mode for some AL team jonesing for a power-packed DH.

46. blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Unbelievable that the error went to Morse. That was on Adrianza – who should have used his body to stop the ball on the short hop. Dumb fuck. That’s basic shit when you play a relay throw.

47. paulinasia said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Yes, Steve, this is what I was saying earlier; lots of talk here in the east (I’ve been watching the Philly feed for a couple weeks now) about what to do with the team, and sportswriters especially have been very candid.. sportscasters, not quite so much. Not sure who you saw (pregame it was Marlon Anderson, in-game is Jamie Moyer). Burnett and Byrd are mostly likely to be traded; Papelbon next most likely; Utley a long shot, and Hamels a real long shot. No one would take Howard anyway, he’s completely lost at $25m a year. Brown is another possibility, young with potential unrealized that they might be ready to give up on.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Because I’m located in Colorado, I have heard quite a few different feeds following the Giants. These guys that broadcast for the Phillys are up there with the best. Quite impressed with their knowledge, and especially, how candid they are. They do their homework, referencing conversations with Bochy, Dunston, etc. In short, their spiel isn’t just about the Phils.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

One other comment regarding how candid and critical they are toward the Phils . . . On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst. These guys are easily an 8 or 9 insofar as having said more critical things about the Phils then what I hear about the Sherpas (who currently have the 2nd worst record in MLB (behind Texas I think)). Anywho, I rate them a 2 . . . Completely delusional about the Rockies status as the dregs of the NL West.

48. paulinasia said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Bummer about the delay, as this game so far has been quite the opposite of last night’s: a crisp pitchers’ duel. As for Philly and the sports talk, every evening for an hour and a half, their Philly Sports Talk show on Comcast covers all major sports in the area with all sorts of guests, writers, and ‘casters. Fairly entertaining. And finally.. what up with Morse, man. He looks like he’s either hurt or just not seeing the ball. A completely different hitter than the first two months. Assuming the G’s seem to be thinking 2nd base is covered between Uggla, Scoots, Panik, Adrianza, and any of the Ball Dudes, I hope their search for an outfielder and a starting pitcher is fruitful. Both, quite frankly and as others here have said, are likely needed to get to the promised land.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Paul, I think the announcer is Rick Sutcliffe and I am absolutely shocked that it is him. He is 58 and looks no older then 48. Dude is aging quite well. Like I said, good announcer too.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I’m not judging his announcing skills, but here’s the audio when he was drunk off his ass on air.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm

What’s more shocking is that he’s a religious zealot. lqtm.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I think it’s Larry Andersen not Suds.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Joe, you might be right. Sutcliffe was on before the game started (actually, had video of him) and I thought he worked for ESPN. Not certain, because they don’t show faces obviously while the game is being announced. Anywho, both of these guys are pretty good.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Flav, that is hilarious! I have never seen that before.

49. Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:36 pm

the Morse Problem is weird. He hasn’t looked the same since he wrenched his back on that swing 6 weeks ago but that can’t be the entire story. I have no idea what’s going on with him

• paulinasia said, on July 23, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Let’s ask the medical staff, I’m sure they’re right on top of it.. 🙂

• Nipper said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I knew that guy was too good to be true.

50. paulinasia said, on July 23, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Anderson does their radio. Tom McCarthy and Moyer do their Comcast TV. You’re lucky to be getting Anderson, he’s better.

51. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I’ll have to ponder that hit-and-run call with Adrianza on firstbase, and Posey batting. It seemed kind of an odd call. Or maybe I’m just second-guessing because it turned out bad. I’ll just keep pondering….

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I just rewound it. 3-1 count to Posey, no outs, runner on first, and Bochy calls for the hit and run. Yeah, I’m going with my “strange call by Bochy” verdict.

52. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Bumgarner rising to the occasion, as expected, and giving the Giants the innings they needed, and shut-out innings at that.

53. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Burnett with 131 pitches. The Phillies are showcasing him, I guess.

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:35 pm

“showcasing” is a great baseball term that amuses me. These players are known inside and out on every level and metric imaginable. “Showcasing” them is something that happened 30 years ago.
      I know you were joking about “showcasing” but I just think it’s funny when someone uses the term seriously.

• Macdog said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I find the whole thing amusing, too, especially when a bunch of scouts suddenly descend upon Philadelphia to check out their players. Really, they don’t know already what these guys can do after 100-some games?

• James said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Pat the Bat probably agrees with you, despite the lousy Seattle strip clubs!

• Flavor said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

it just gives jobs to a bunch of good ol’ boys and makes them still feel useful. Any GM that is waiting patiently for what a scout has to say about how Burnett looked tonight is light years behind the other GM’s…..

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Actually James, the best strip clubs are located in Tacoma (outside the main gate of McChord Air Force Base). Ask Flavor who went to college near there (I think he did anyway). Chi would know too. LOL.

54. James said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Andres Blanco . . . spells whipping boy in English

• SanDawg said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Is that a Harry Carry reference?

• James said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:55 pm

If it is you’ll have you explain it to me, SD 🙂 . . . Just amused that the Phillies have a scrub whose name evokes Vungo and White Shark.

55. Manny said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Colvin doesn’t seem to have much of a clue up there lately.

56. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

One more time Crawfish.

57. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Rhino figures he might as well get every pitch he can out of Burnett.

Need a little of that old Sanchez magic.

58. DJLoo said, on July 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Showcasing only works if the guy does well. What’s the use of showcasing a piece of shit?

59. James said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:00 pm

“Showcase” would be a great nickname.

60. mannyman46 said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Nothing makes me happier than to hear those Philly fans booing their own team.

61. Macdog said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm

The Hunter and peck offense.

62. stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Classic baseball. Nothing-Nothing (like in soccer) top of the 9th. Excellent reliever loaded the bases. One of baseball’s most dynamic hitters works a 3-2 count and then Reverend Underpants clears em. Tell me o wise flappers ~ does it possibly get any better than this?

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm

It was an awesome showdown between Pence and Papelbon. Titanic.

63. salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Couldn’t have worked out much better after last two night with Bum going 8 and Casilla for the save.

64. salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Half the Philly team is being “showcased”.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Only half???

• salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Yeah, who knows?

65. Macdog said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Haha, might as well re-run this story from last night: http://delonline.us/1jWsHep

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Awesome article Mac. As snarkk is fond of saying, “Any Flapper here could have made better decisions . . .” then Amaro has made the last 3 years. Money wasted down a rat hole, especially the example of trading Pence and giving Howard the imbecilic deal he got. I recall just about everyone here lambasting that Howard deal when it went down. It’s amazing how these dumb fucks get these GM jobs (See Dan O’Dowd in Colorado).

66. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! I’m diggin’ it. Winning rules!!!!!

67. Bozo said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Huge win, HUGE.

68. zumiee said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Up 3 on the Dodgers in the loss column. Nice!

69. stickman said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Sure doesn’t seem like the ATT effect June Swoon now, does it gang? Full Throttle and Big Country put on clinics tonight.

Bumgarner’s sterling performance maybe was in honor of his recently deceased kinsman James (Bum)Garner of Bumtown, North Caroliner. So how did he do? Shutout through 8 on 93 pitches. It’s been rare for Giants starters to achieve such economy in pitch count. Breaks down to 11.45 pitches per inning. Even though he’s once again third in the league in special K’s and tied for the NL lead in wins with 12 Bum mainly did it by inducing extremely crappy contact most of the time.

He’d give up a hit here and there but that was all she wrote. Still extremely young for a ring-bearing Ace, this kid has matured considerably since he first began wowing baseball. A base hit here and there, particularly when its not first man up in an inning and remains isolated is essentially meaningless when it comes to that man not getting driven in. That’s when Mr. Madison bears down country strong. Does any team wanna face him in the playoffs?

Our zany too tall Texan with the madcap Popeye the Sailorman eyes is another one of those balls to the walls types who you want on your side when the chips are down. Intensity immensity. After hitting Morse (who finally accomplished something tonight) Bennett must have gotten a bit nervous ~ particularly when pinch runner El Tiburon Blanco employed the speed weapon and took 2nd. Followed the I.P. to Crawdaddy to ideally get Bumgarner out of the game. That was Sandberg’s gamble. Nerves got frayed to the point where Bochy’s gamble of sending in a .198 hitting Hector to replace our starter batting a pitcher prosperous .261 actually worked, loading the bases with an UNintentional BB.

Though broadly known as a hacker it appears that Bochy’s batting Pence leadoff in place of MIA Pagan has payed off in an unexpected manner. Cast in that role it may just be that Hunter has grown and become more selective as a hitter. Tonight it paid off as he worked the count full in what can be considered baseball’s most thrilling showdown with two outs and the bases jammed ~ and then sliced that devastating double. Had he swung for the fences it might have crashed as a long fly out. But Pence, like Bumgarner has become a consumate pro. He has grown with the game. Though he wears them a bit higher than most, Hunter was wearing his big boy pants tonight.

Showcase, all right. Tonight a couple of All-Stars strutted their stuff in Philly.

70. pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:53 pm

My ballet daughter was at the game but left. I watched the 8th and 9th from the Hyatt Regency in square-jawed Greenwich, Connecticut, about a mile from the housing project in Stamford I grew up in. This team has character. And chutzpah. And is getting some swagger. I’ve never liked PapeLOLbon. Choker. Colvin is not a hitter. Some fine ABs to precede Hunter’s hit. Blanco’s SB was nice. Very big win. Very big series win. Gnight, girls.Oh. My mom, 97, and I, 65, split a $50 pot at bingo tonight. Fun. (There was actually a hottie at bingo. Did not escape my eyes. Asian or Indian chick with a G47 rack. Or O69. N43. Whatever.)

71. pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Go to ESPN’s MLB site, click on Transactions, and see what they put for SF Giants today.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:03 pm

What does that mean “Agree?”

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

who knows. They must’ve started writing “Agreed to terms with…” I guess. I dunno. Thanks for agreeing with the SF Giants, ESPN.

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, while we wait breathlessly for (question mark).

By the by, Just booked a trip to Angkor Wat and other mysterious far east locales. Will be gone for 4.5 months. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:48 pm

So, did we get Castillo? Or are we just agreeable?

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2014 at 6:22 am

No idea Chuck. Weird notation on the page Pawlie cited.

72. salty said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Just read Giants may go after Cuban OFer Rusney Castillo. Interesting.

73. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Yet another case of baseball players being dumb as a box of rox:

Up there with banning the shift, and calling out a bunt against it.

74. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Rusney Castillo, Spanish for Rusty Kuntz?

75. Macdog said, on July 24, 2014 at 6:12 am

Finally heading out to CBB today as we go for a sweeeeeeeep. My daughter and I will be somewhere in the outfield, we’re leaving early so we can maybe catch BP. She’s bringing her glove hoping a homer comes our way, but with Huddy vs. Hamels today, I should probably tell her not to get her hopes up. Unless Pap comes in.

76. willedav said, on July 24, 2014 at 7:13 am

Nice, Mac. Looks like quite a lot of Giants fans there too. what’s with all the noise on pop fly outs?
    Philly bloggers really are pretty funny. The ones on cbs site are tearing Amaro and Howard apart. Lee and Papelbon didn’t exactly have *showcase* moments.
    Zero argument in my mind over Bonifacio/Zobrist. I want the better player, not the guy released by the Royals.
    Salt could be right, Rays might not do anything…though they still trail about 6 teams even for a WC. Like Pawlie, I like them better than anyone else in AL East. They’re less annoying version of A’s without the dumb beards, not spending near as much as couple division rivals, good mgr., crummy yard.
    Props to Hector too, for having enough patience (!) to take the walk off Pap. I’ll take a leadoff hitter like Pence any day–he can beat out IF hits and slap a baseball 450 ft. Case closed.

And the LA juggernaut appears to have hit a snag.