Action Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 30, 2014

Lots of stuff going on right now—Uggly and Colvin released. Possible other moves pending. Sounds like we are not in on Bonifacio…

Uggly finished his career with the G-Men with 0 hits in 11 at bats and 3 errors. I’m not sure if you could find a worse 4 game career in the history of baseball. His OPS+ was -73. That might be a record. Sabean had lightning in his brain when he decided this pick up was a good idea…..

1. chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 7:53 pm

So, last post I made was back in the 8th inning. There has been a lot of doomerism lately (rightly deserved). But I ask you this (for those fans, many of you meet this category, who have been long-time fans) what did you do in all those REALLY LEAN years when the team was sucking ass and playing before 3k fans against the likes of Montreal? Seriously, how did you handle that and how does that compare to how you are handling the last month-plus, or so?

• unca_chuck said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Gearing up for football season. It was a lot easier to ignore he Giants when a) they sucked, b) they weren’t on TV every day. Yeah, I’d listen on the radio if it was August and they were out by 12 occasionally. But for the most part there was many other things to occupy the time.

I did however, go to games when they sucked.. It was a $2.00 bus ride, and a $2.50 bleacher seat. Even when I was able to drive, we’d hit the cheap seats for games. If only to yell at Jack in RF, or give other guys shit. We’d usually sit somewhere down the rf line or bleachers.

There was a game I swear the paid attendance, which they announced on the scooreboard (and it WAS asses in seats, not tix sold) that was 985. It was like watching a game in the grand canyon.

• chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Great stuff, Charlie…I have some similar memories. Extra inning double header with the Cubs in June, and coldest fucking day I have ever spend in CA (well, pretty close), and there couldn’t have been more than a couple K there. Thanks for sharing.

• unca_chuck said, on July 30, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Yeah, I have a lot of cousins from chicago who moved out here in the 70s, and we’d go to a lot of those games. Hearing Chicago fans complain about the weather was priceless.

2. chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Sorry Craig. Great thread. I had this last comment embroiled in my brain and had to get it out there.

• Flavor said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:45 pm

ha, I don’t know how great this thread is but thanks. Here’s how I handled it: I ate it. It didn’t bother me other than making me feel like a loser fan. Now that we have 2 in the bucket, I have one side of me that doesn’t sweat this at all because “we have 2 in the bucket” and another side of me that wants to rip out somebody’s throat socket and shove it into their anal verge because I want 3 in the bucket and I don’t understand how you can have a 150 mil payroll and a 10 cent bench.
      So I’m feeling completely different things from “the lean years” and what I feel now but I almost prefer the lean years a little bit, it was easier on my blood pressure to just know I was a “loser fan” and be done with it. lqtm

• chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I get it. Have not had that perspective myself, but can’t say that it sounds foreign to me. It is kind of hard to compare…kind of like trying to compare someone from the Mays/McCovey era to today’s players.

3. chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:04 pm

James – this was my response to your 4:26 on the last thread, and I really wanted you to see it:

“Thank you James. It means a lot to me to have it come from someone else. GH and others were clamoring how he would be a big upgrade…even more so than the likes of a Zobrist. Seriously, thanks.”

• James said, on July 30, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Hey, Chi, I think WillieD and others may have taken a similar stance. I only chimed in to respond to Dirt’s post when I saw that SF was supposed to pull the trigger on acquiring EB. Who knows, maybe they would have brought him in and he lights it up for a while, but there is no question he is a below average major league player, while Zobrist has had a career that can be compared to some long running really cool, albeit minor cult band that fans who know their shit always appreciated.

4. chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I was going to say San’s post was definitely POTD material. Let’s go kick some ass on the road! Lots of good ball left to play (see, hear)…enjoy the ride boys. I have a feeling it is going to be good. Don’t get your dauber down! Humm Baby!

5. Flavor said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:50 pm

bye bye, Dan Runzler– he’s been released so he can go play in Japan. Is it just me or do the Giants do a really shitty job of holding on to players who could fill out their AAA roster quite nicely if they just fucking kept them around? (see: Tony Abreu)
    You need roster filler guys and Sabean seems intent on playing those guys at the major league level and yet he releases all the shitty ones who should be their year round “AAA roster fillers”. Gary Brown is one of those, by the way, he’ll be a lifelong Giant AAA roster filler…
    It’s bizarre………

• willedav said, on July 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Right about now is when minors guys, esp vets that really expect to be on ml roster, will ask for release rather than spend another month riding buses in AAA til their season ends and you get the cup of coffee Sept call up. Esp in hot weather. This according to Feinstein in book about Int’l league.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Uggla was a shot in the dark. Why not? At least they cut their losses soon enough. How long did fucking Garko Garko around. Or Hattiesberg? Hattieberg?

What pisses me off is I could have done just as bad as him and made what, $500,000 in a week? Fuck that.

7. chipower9 said, on July 30, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Yeah, no surprise on Uggly. WTF, he was definitely worth the flyer. You never know if he, with a change of scenery, doesn’t become the next Burrell or Ross. Low cost, low risk…roll the fucking dice. And I agree, at least they cut the losses quickly.

8. Alleykat said, on July 30, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Watching the Giants replay game from today and it was really cool to Susac’s family going crazy after his 1st big league knock and RBI, and Susac’s huge grin and relief at 1st!
    And even though it was a solid single to left, you know when the players and Murph get done signing it, it will be a duck snort Texas leaguer 12 hopper!
    But congrats kid you have a big league average!!!

9. DJLoo said, on July 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I think the guy they might get with an eye toward next year is Bartolo Colon, especially if they already know Cain is having TJ surgery. He won’t cost anything which is good because we have nothing to give. The Mets are overloaded with young SP and would love to dump his $10 million for 2015.

10. willedav said, on July 30, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Chi, to your earlier question, I can remember going to Stick with my godson to watch Bonds vs. Pirates in a summer day game mid-90s. It was so f-ing hot that day we moved from our really good boxes 3b side (bought at walk up right before game so you know it was dead empty) to underneath the overhang.
    Bonds homered first time up and then giants got hammered. But it was great time. In those days if they lost I shrugged it off. Same with the Johnny Rabb days of bad 80s and Bob Brenly postgame show.

Now, it bugs me way more, esp that weekend series watching f-ing Hanley smiling all the time. I guess because I’m sure they are capable of playing better…which is the same thing that bothers me most about lazy b-ball kids convinced they are the next Kobe who dog it throught working on fundamentals and footwork., and waste valuable gym time shooting 3s, dribbling and going nowhere, and doing stupid hang in the air moves.

11. SanDawg said, on July 30, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I don’t think Uggla has oficially been released. If he has, that is a damn short trial they gave him. I hope he gets a bit more run.

12. Nipper said, on July 31, 2014 at 3:07 am

NO MORE UGG! He stunk bad. What a stench…and Colvin who gives a damn. Another crap player passing through. Yawn…..wake me up if the Giants ever make an exciting move. It’s just the state of baseball today
    High prices and little to show for it.