Where Have All the Good Hitters Gone?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 3, 2014

Nice win today, great pitching and good hitting. Gotta see more of that to avoid the sun setting or the Bad Penny or whatever I keep babbling about here…..

Just took a sneak peak at tomorrow’s starters to see if there are any daily fantasy angles. I keep marveling at the SP’s ERA’s this year. Anyone else noticing this? Tomorrow there are seven games and seven of the 14 SP’s have ERA’s in the 2’s. And the monsters aren’t even going tomorrow. It’s really shocking to me how many good starting pitchers there are out there these days.

Personally, I attribute it to less steroids taken by the hitters since the steroid era ended. And we all know the pitchers took them too but you take that advantage away from both of them and pitching beats hitting all day long.

How many players do you think are still taking steroids? If you strike off Canseco’s idiotic number of 80% and guess that maybe 40% of them were taking them during the steroid era, what % do you put it at today? 20%? 10%? 5%?

Seems like a fun poll question. I’m sure I’ll fuck up the answers as I usually do but here goes:

1. pawliekokonuts said, on August 3, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Of course, we will never know. Not in the least. After Lance Armstrong’s carefully fabricated fiction unraveled, I concluded anyone can be doing anything. Rich pro athletes can pay some soon-to-be rich doctor/pharmacist/chemist/hobbyist to concoct a brew that will not be detected. Easily. I have no idea who chances that or who does not. But I will allow the premise that the culture regarding steroids and other stuff has changed. Maybe.

2. snarkk said, on August 3, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I’m going with over 40%. That includes HGH and similar, and on occasion as well as on a regular cycling. With no regular method of testing for HGH, the $ incentive is too great. Maybe the pitchers are doing more of it now…

3. DJLoo said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I bet they miss the amphetamines just as much. I know I do.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I have read — more than once — that while with the Mets my hero Willie Mays kept a jar of “red juice,” thought to be amphetamines. Ask me if I care.

• DJLoo said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

No matter what job I had, I always did it 5 times better on speed. I had a supervisor who dispensed it during busy season…

• snarkk said, on August 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I don’t care what Willie was using. So was everybody else. As long as the playing field is level, I’m OK with whatever they’re using. I was ticked about steroids, until I learned more and figured everybody and anybody was using them during that time from Giambi to FP Santangeroid, so what the hell? Bonds vs. Gagne at ATT — ‘roid vs. ‘roid — great theater, level playing field, to mix a few metaphors…

• blade3colorado said, on August 3, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I remember doing cocaine on the Skyway “bucket” (gondolier) that went through the Matterhorn mountain at Disneyland. I was with my girlfriend and we had been doing an all nighter at my place in Mountain View, when we decided to get on a flight that morning to Disneyland. Surprised they even allowed us on the flight, because we were definitely bonzoed. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Ha. Anywho, I digress . . . We must have put 4-5 lines on a mirror, losing most of it to the wind.

4. zumiee said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm

It’s wild how some of the guys that got caught got huge contracts AFTER they got caught and suspended. Cheating paid off for them, big-time.
    And there’s always going to be some guys that look suspicious. Juan Uribe’s career was dead in the water for a couple of years, and then suddenly he turns into a .300 hitter, raking the ball all over the place again. Dee Gordon shows up with some added weight, and turns from a light-hitting .230 hitter into a .290 hitter, with 10 triples. Just sayin.’

• zumiee said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Not that I should be throwing stones; the 2012 Giants likely wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Melky’s contribution.

5. zumiee said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I’m guessing the TV ratings of the pre-season football game on NBC crushes the Yankee/Red Sox game on ESPN, which has taken 2 1/2 hours to play 6 innings.

6. Manny said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I still go over to Aurilla’s 2001 year on Baseball Reference and marvel at it. The guy must of been in a contract year and once he got it quit taking them.

• DJLoo said, on August 3, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’d love to know what the hell Jim Hickman was taking in 1970…

• Macdog said, on August 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Or how about Davey Johnson in ’73?

• James said, on August 3, 2014 at 9:22 pm

The Hickman and Johnson references made me think of Rico Carty.

7. blade3colorado said, on August 3, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Brady Anderson’s 50 HR in 1996. Dude said this about his accomplishment, “Nothing can be considered a fluke that takes six months to accomplish. Rather it was a culmination of all my athleticism and baseball skills and years of training peaking simultaneously.”

Uhh . . Yeah, right.

8. tedspe said, on August 3, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Where have all the good hitters gone
    Long time passing
    Where have all the good hitters gone
    Long time ago
    Where have all the good hitters gone
    Gone to talk to lawyers of Barry Bonds
    When will we ever learn
    When will we ever learn
    (with apologies to Pete Seegar)

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:21 pm

song of the day [SOTD]

9. willedav said, on August 3, 2014 at 10:20 pm

How about Coco Crisp, who hit career high 22 HRs last year and had highest slugging pct. since 2004 and 2005?
    Works out to 1 HR per 23 ABs in 2013.
    2012, 11 HRs in 455.
    2014, 7 HRs in 280.
    Hmmnn.

Didn’t Rico Carty get hurt pretty bad early in career? He did hit something like .350 once in early days, right?

• DJLoo said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:43 am

I think he had tuberculosis, Willie…

• James said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:35 am

The connection I made was obscure and not because Carty was a one year wonder. He and Joe Torre both put up BAs in my first years of fandom that have stuck with me. Carty’s 366 was in 1970 while he was on the Braves.

Rico did have quite the renaissance in his late 30s. Maybe he was taking the same stuff that Loo’s supe was passing out.

• willedav said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

Cool player. Forgot that he was from San Pedro de Macoris, and I remember brief bio on him in the “Eastern Stars” book I read about baseball, the academies and life in that part of the DR. Good read.

10. willedav said, on August 3, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Doing the math, given 30 teams with 25 active each, 20% would total 150, and of course 40% means 300.
    I’m a cynical guy, but both those numbers seem really high.

What I don’t get is how often ballplayers of today have to come out of a game or you hear that *day to day* nonsense in the course of making perfectly normal everyday baseball plays. These guys are the best paid, best fed, with best training facilities, best hotels and travel arrangements in baseball’s long history.
    And yet a guy dives for a ball in the outfield, suffers a bruise (nowadays contusion) of some sort and has to come out of the game as a precaution. Haven’t all of us here done that, on a hell of a lot worse grass fields than what major leaguers play on?

11. gianthead said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:12 am

Fugla was clearly on juice in Miami and apparently clean as a whistle now…

pulled into a fleabag hotel about 12:30 am across from LaGuardia. 3 hours from Baltimore, cruised right in. What is growing in the bed who knows…but Gooooooo. Giants…

• gianthead said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:24 am

We will be sitting to the left of home plate. 9th row I believe…I finally get to break out my 2012 World Series Matt Cain jersey…

12. gianthead said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:17 am

My son pointed out last night that Brett Gardner has 8 homers since July 1…slightly suspicious???

My candidate for suspicion is Carlos Gomez with the Brewers….numbers from now and last year versus a couple of years ago…

13. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:49 am

One bonus, for me, from the ending of the steroids/performance enhancement free for all is that the younger players, fresh out of college or the minor system can now have a better chance of showing us what they can do. as it should be.

14. Macdog said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:01 am

On the 7 train.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:23 am

nice! Take and send me some pics.

15. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:12 am

Only one hour to game time, how cool is that?

Looking over the standings (something I do not do often) I am amazed how the Angels have held so close to the As. And I get a sick feeling in my stomach realising it is the freakin fell flay foggers ahead of us. I hate that team. There must be some way that the Giants can knock them clean out of the race, wild card included. Deal with the devil if they have to. Beat LA.

And for today? Get ‘er done, Huddy.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

Pence RF
    Blanco CF
    Posey C
    Sandoval 3B
    Belt 1B
    Crawford SS
    Panik 2B
    Perez LF
    Hudson HRP

Go Giants!

• Macdog said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:29 am

No Morse, yay!

17. Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:31 am

I guess that 30-40% at least were using during the hey day of the roid era. Now? I voted under 10% (higher if you include HGH as snarkk mentioned).

Boys go for the series win today. Would be a sweet way to exit NYC after five nights there. Glad to see BB9 in a groove (well, pretty locked-in for a guy who missed as much time as he did). And I hear that el Caballo Loco will start a rehab assignment in Fresneck today. If all goes well, he will be back in the fold soon.

If the bats can stay hot, the pitching good, and you get Pagan back at the top getting on base, it is an omen for good things to come. (Especially for a team that is dead…or at least it is according to some here.)

18. Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:32 am

I agree, Mac on the “No Morse” comment. Dude is such a liability when he isn’t hitting the ball. No way in hell I bring him back next year…IMO it just is not worth it.

19. willedav said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:44 am

Nate with another 0-4 yesterday at the Latrine, down to .192. But Cubs win!
    Eric Surkamp, another former Giants prospect, also struggling in the Windy out of White Sox pen. Yesterday he was part of pen meltdown that allowed Twins to score 9 in the 8th en route to 16-3 W. Charged with 2 earned 4 hits in one inning of work.
    So far this year, 10 and a third innings, 9 earned runs 11 hits 5 BBs 3 HBPs, 3 HRs. ERA of 7.84. Ouch.

Looking forward after work to triple header of reports from the yard today, very impressive showing by East Coast wing of Flap Nation. Enjoy, guys.

20. James said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:51 am

What if Morse finishes with, say, 23 HRS and an 810 OPS? In order to get to a result like that, he was going to play lousy for a good long while after his hot start. Replacing him with a less productive bat to somehow avoid all the crappy ABs is the hot hand fallacy that Bochy has at times subscribed to. You don’t come out ahead.

Maybe Morse really is going to continue his slide, but I don’t think you take that gamble.

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:58 am

Yeah, I was a bit harsh and premature on my “No way in hell I bring him (Morse) back next year” comment. Depending on the money and length of contract, I could see bringing him back (two years max). So the dude costs you a game on occasion with his glove and lack of speed, but if he can bang 20+ bombs and knock in 80+ then I think you have to seriously consider bringing him back (but wait…Nate the Great and The MelkMan are FAs next year)….

21. Nipper said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:02 am

Get rid of Morse ASAP. I don’t care about the 15 HRS. He’s a big slow oaf in the field at best. As for PEDs I’m ready for a Barry statue nice and GIANT sized. I quit going to the Park when he retired.

22. Bozo said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:12 am

Whoot, I’m getting the game on the tube.

23. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:28 am

the mets announcers are not that bad, to me

24. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:29 am

huddy strikes out duda with the same pitch that was hit for the HR, except this time it split.

25. peets said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:43 am

Too bad Perez sucks. They really need a RH hitting OFer.

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:59 am

Yep…we’ve been kicking those tires for a couple of years now.

26. Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

WHOOT! Let’s add on!

27. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

Shit. Nice start.

Went to the city with the wife and one daughter, took the ferry to Sam’s in Tiburon. Funny thing was, on the way back we were sitting outside, and this British family was sitting next to us chatting away. The guy pulls out a Yankee hat and puts it on. I’m thinking, shit, should I say something? I couldn’t resist. So I say “A Brit wearing a Yankee hat?” The guy looks at me, none too happy and says, “I didn’t know what it meant at the time.” I said you’d be better off buying a Giants hat. He smiled thinly, and that was it. We talked a bit about his travels across the country, but somewhere in NYC, some guy is laughing his ass off.

We then ended up in Cow Hollow so the wife and daughter could go clothes shopping, so I watched the dual no-hitter at this cool little bar called the Brickyard until the bottom of the 8th. Crazy game that had the whole bar going until Morse lead-footed those doubles.

Shit, Morse makes the water buffaloes look like gazelles.

28. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:04 am

PS, GAMECAST SUCKS!!

29. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:30 am

Morse only makes that play in his dreams. Nice play by Perez.

• James said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:26 am

I didn’t see it, but maybe Colvin makes it, too? Maybe ‘ol Tyler could have split the difference between Juan and Mike.

Not a serious suggestion, of course, but there is no way Perez’s defense compensates for his offense or makes him a better option than Morse, in case that was implicit in the comment.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, maybe Colvin makes that play (despite his significant issues on offense, he is a good out fielder). Nevertheless, the play was two-fold: 1. Back hand grab of a hard hit line drive down the line; and, 2. What Ed mentioned – great throw to the correct base.

You really need to see the video of the play to understand how difficult it was. And no, I wasn’t suggesting Perez replace Morse, albeit, someone (fill in the blank) needs to step up and replace him.

30. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:36 am

And it looks like Perez learned something in the minors. Making that throw to 2nd when he had a tempting play at third. good choice.

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:48 am

Ed – it is good to see you here again….

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:27 am

Cheers, mate, maybe we can catch a game in September.

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:24 pm

If you are going to be here in September, that would be awesome. I think that would qualify as a need for a Flapalooza.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:58 am

Air mail to 2b then 3b as well. Sloppy play there all around.

32. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

Pence with the triple. Alright, now get him in!

33. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

OK, Tiburon . . .

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:43 am

Man, tough. Big league ball there.

35. wswins said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:45 am

no brains to try and score there with nobody out

36. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:48 am

Flan sent him? DP? Shit.

37. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:51 am

Can’t tell from the replay is Flan sent him but 9 times out of 10 Blanco scores there.

38. Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:52 am

I try not to let my mind wander. It’s too small to be out by itself.

• Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 11:58 am

Lmao – changing other people’s comments is as weak as it gets.

• Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Exactly what was so bad about the comment for it to be changed anyways? Complimenting a great throw by an outfielder? Hoping for an extra inning game? Yeah – terrible stuff.

• peets said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:16 pm

It’s your timing, moron.

39. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Mets radio guys, Howie Rose and Josh Lewin, a good crew, said a few innings ago that Bruce Bochy may be the most underrated manager in decades, even without the two rings; admirably compared him to Gil Hodges as a manager. High praise from Metsville. HAVE LOO AND MACDOG MET UP?

40. stickman said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Some will claim that the floparooni in the 6th was all on Belt. He did hit into that DP after all. Give it some thought. He has not been on in this game. Still does not have his timing down. What set up that situation was yet another baserunning boneheader by Blanco. Pitch selection might have been quite different to BB9 had there been three on and nobody out.

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Stick, did Blanco run thru the stop sign? 95% of the time, the fault lies with the 3rd base coach. Blanco has his back to the play. He’s relying on Flan. To give Belt a pass for the DP is wrong, regardless of the situation.

• stickman said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Chuckkles: Please re-read my take on Belt. I did not give him a pass on his GDP. He had a bad game offensively. No matter his bat, BB9 tightens the IF defense to the nth degree. He will come around. It’s simply a matter of timing.

• James said, on August 4, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I didn’t see it, but DPs are often hard hit ground balls. It is possible to make all kinds of worse contact with better results than a DP. Maybe Belt hit a low outside pitch, off balance, and tapped a one hopper at the SS, in which case he didn’t do his job.

I know the above is a completely obvious truth. It’s just rarely taken into account.

41. Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Regardless of the timing, changing other people’s comments turns a blog into a joke – disagree with the comment, make your own comment to refute it, but completely wiping out someone else’s comment and replacing it with your own is stoopid – and l guarantee you, Flavor would not approve.

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Actually, there’s bee a couple trolls here, so changing posts has been approved by the management.

• Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm

OK, unca I can see that – but I’ve never exhibited troll behavior here – saying there was a good throw from the CFer and wanting to see extra innings does not constitute trolling. Whatever – you want the place to only reflect your own point of view, you are an idiot – and Flavor is a lot of things, but he’s no idiot.

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I didn’t change it. But carry on, skippy.

42. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Bumgarner, grab a bat, kid.

43. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Pablo!!!!

44. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Kung Fu power!!

45. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Text just received from Macdog: “Yes, we’ve met up. Having a great fucking time.” #FlapperNation [hashtag added by me]

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Got to see pics of the historic Mac/Loo meeting . . .

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, I really want to know if Loo is in reality Danny DeVito.

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Yep…gotta see some picts. LMAO on Blade’s comments about Loo being Danny D. Glad Flap Nation was represented by G-head, Mac, and Loo. Anyone else?

46. Bozo said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Alright, two outs. Now Close this fucker out.

47. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Ballgame!!

48. Bozo said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Good win, nice series.

49. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:54 pm

double u

50. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Nice game. A good time was had in England watching it. All game should start at noon EDT, don’tcha think?
    Would be nice to see some of our main players all getting in the groove during the same month (October).

51. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:55 pm

and “put it in the books,” the First Annual LooDog Game!!

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:56 pm

that just doesn’t sound right, but I applaud your effort.

52. Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Hell yes! I was in a meeting (when I left we were down 3-2). Nice win, and nice series win. I need to find out how we won.

Yep…nice win by that little ol’ team from San Francisco that is DONE.

Fuck that shit. To each their own. Some were writing off the team recently. I disagree, and said let’s get this team healthy and see what happens. If all goes well, Pagan should be back sometime during the Brewer series. I am still predicting a NL West pennant, and I am fucking sticking to it.

And sure, it was the lowly Mets, but fuck, you are expected to beat those teams, and they did.

Again, nice win, and nice series win.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Actually, in my mind it is always more difficult to beat a team on the road. For whatever reason, the GMen seem to be more comfortable (in the latter half of) this season on the road versus home. Hopefully, they can continue to make hay on the road, but am really hoping the improvement comes at home, especially for individual players like Snot Rocket – who has it ass backwards this season on his home/away splits.

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Totally agree, Blade. Need to start WHOOPIN’ THAT ASS at home AND on the road.

53. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm

And I thought Rooster was a friend of the flap or is that ‘blue’ just making a mess?

54. eddacker said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:00 pm

And the doggers are playing the angels and the doggers know we won.
    tapping magic voodoo doll on the head.

55. Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I think this is recent news, but saw where Uggly declined the demotion to Fresneck, and he is now a FA. His line as a Giant is going to bring new meaning to the term Uggly. Later, dude. Don’t let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out…

56. Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Rooster is bum fan, but I have not seen him exhibit any real troll-like behaviour….certainly not like some of the jackasses who have frequented here of late.

Fuck the Fucking Fuck Dodgers. BEAT LA!

My two favorite teams – SF Giants and whoever is playing the Dodgers. Go Angels!

57. Nipper said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Three out four…..yes!

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Nip – I thought the Giants were done. Well, according to your comment a few threads back they were…

• Nipper said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm

They are. Cain is finished for this season. There’s always next year. Oh wait you’re counting on a peaved Peavy. Good luck. And Morris will get his foot stuck permanently in a gopher hole. Pablo will put on weight and Posey will get tired. Angel Pagan will come back at a slower speed. The Giants should slow way down when they play the best. But of course it’s great to be wrong. Orange and Black baby!

• Chipower9 said, on August 5, 2014 at 7:50 am

Love your optimism…are you sure you’re not a bums fan?

58. Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Yes, Chi, thanks. I try to be respectful of the fact this is a Giants blog – after the 1st game of the last Dodgers/Giants series I stayed away – I wasn’t here rubbing anyone’s face in it.
    And unca – I wasn’t accusing you of changing the post or calling YOU an idiot – I meant that anyone who wants this place to only reflect their own point of view is an idiot.
    Changing other’s comments is a slippery slope – I can see targeting repeat troll-like behavior sure, but that ain’t me.

• Nipper said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Ah give Chuck a good loud BLEEP!

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Agree. You and Sandy are always welcome here (umm . . . sort of. Hehehe). Seriously, if anyone – Dodger or Giant fan – has a pertinent comment, then I am all for it. However, it goes without saying that a Dodger fan making comments on a Giants blog needs to be a bit more circumspect and respectful of where he is. In short, this is why I don’t frequent other baseball team blogs – too much of a slippery slope.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Weird Rooster . . . I only read your first few lines, yet somehow I did a mind meld with you and used the expression, “slippery slope.”

That does it! I’m going to Giants rehab or whatever 12 Step program they have for this disease. Grin. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Agree on all counts. I rarely go to another team’s blog…it has been years since I have done so, and cannot even remember why the hell I did it then. I mean really, why go ANYPLACE else (rhetorical question)…

59. stickman said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:29 pm

HUGE victory headed into Milwaukee, where the Brewers and Giants are tied with the 7th best record in baseball at 61-51. With Timmy, Vogie and Peavy slated to start the 3 there, a tough offense-favoring venue where SF has rarely done well, i’m expecting the Giants to take one of the set. On to Kansas City where the Royals get to face Bumgarner, Hudson and Lincecum i feel the Giants will take the series 2-1. If these projections hold it would mean a six-four road trip as the team heads back to the place where Jobu has been unhappy with them this season, the magically ill-named ATT stadium.

Decent to excellent starting pitching plus a bodacious bullpen directed by the baseball master of that art has kept the Giants in the chase. Defense has taken it up a couple of notches lately to make it stick. Offensively, we saw some hints yesterday of what is possible when it all comes back together with the immanent return of our #1 injured warrior, Pagan Baby, the tablesetter. He should be ready to go all Horse Crazy in K.C.

As i noted in a couple earlier postings it looks evident that BB9 has yet to get his timing back. It should happen soon. The Very High Most Reverend Full Throttle Underpants and Kung Fu Panda carried the team today. El Tiburon Blanco made up for his 6th inning cutdown with that critical SB in the 9th, which resulted in Buster’s 4th walk of the day which itself backfired with Pablo crushing another double which would have brought in two had it not done the ground-rule bounce. Looks like Joe Panik has taken a leg up on his prime competitor Matt Duffy today with his 3 for 4 performance. Spring Training next season should make for quite the competition between this talented pair unless an opening develops at 3B.

The Romo-Santiago 8-9 setup is looking good. No Affeldt today. Could be BB15 is preserving him for the Brew Crew. Our Bullies are the Best!

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Flan sent Blanco. The play was behind him. Not sure why you feel the need to pin that on Blanco.

Besides, it was a bang-bang play.

60. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Yeah, don’t know who ‘edited’ Capon’s post, but the water’s over the bridge. Or under the dam. Or it’s troubled?

Or, go Angels! Wouldn’t it just suck if the A’s trade their best OFer for pitching and fall out of the lead in the west because they can’t hit? Hah!

61. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Cain to have his elbow surgery. This season was lost for him anyway.

To think they could have done this 9 months ago is a wonder.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Based on Cain’s recent comments, it was his call. He said he’s had the bone chips for 10 years. He thought he’d grind through it. As Horse would. But sheesh, how about immediately after 2012 Series; do it then.

62. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Rooster,
    Just let me chime in here to say that having your comment changed has less to do with you than you might think. We pretty much know you pretty much play by the rules here and respect the protocols. See it as an aberration, is my suggestion.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Just for the record, it was not I who edited your comment, Capon. hashtag Catholicguiltupbringingevenwheninnocent

63. Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I’m on a golf course so I’ll make this quick: there are 10-12 stable boys who have access to edit comments. There is one idiot troll who writes disgusting shit who sometimes gets past my filter. Rooster is certainly not him. He is free to post whatever he wants here, within reason. If the one pussy-shit troll gets past my filter, the Stable Boys are authorized to do whatever they want to the post.
    I’m assuming one of you guys thought you were doing me a favor but please limit the editing to trolls who go over the top with language. And there’s only one of them, right now, that I can’t deal with in a timely manner. And that’s because I’m still on vacation and not able to monitor the blog regularly.
    Anyway, sorry about that Rooster

64. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 4, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Phillies put pretty much all of their starters on waivers.

65. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Speaking of the Bums, the back end of their rotation sucks. Per ESPN, “Dan Haren (8-9) allowed 20 earned runs over 19 innings in July, then started August by allowing six earned without escaping the fifth Friday against the Chicago Cubs in a Dodgers loss. And on Sunday, Josh Beckett (6-6) was hit hard in his first two starts since a left hip impingement landed him on the disabled list on July 8, needing 94 pitches to get 12 outs before losing the rubber match of L.A.’s three-game set against Cubs.”

It gets worse . . . Left-hander Paul Maholm was supposed to be an option to fix their rotation woes. Not so fast, as he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee while covering first base in the seventh inning of Friday night’s loss, an MRI revealed. The team said he will see Dr. Neal El Attrache and decide on treatment, including surgery. I wonder if Colletti will regret shelving his Billy Beane act in pursuit of available aces Jon Lester and David Price? Time will tell . . .

• Chipower9 said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Yep. Saw that…according to the story I read on CSNBA, he’s done for the year.

And not sure you guys talked about it (I was out of pocket all weekend), but I saw where GoldShit is done for the year too (broken hand).

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Yeah, I mentioned it. He’s a good guy (except when he plays us and impacts our chances in the Division). He also was very magnanimous about this incident. However, his manager, Gibson – totally blew it in my opinion by having his pitcher throw at McCutchen, not only at a weird part of the game, but at his back with a 95 MPH fastball. McCutchen, another good guy, who rarely gets upset, was livid. Gibson is bush league.

• Chipower9 said, on August 5, 2014 at 7:51 am

I agree. Gibson is a fucking tool. I have never liked his sorry ass. Fuck him.

66. Rooster said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Yep, blade, the Dodgers have suspect 4th and 5th starters in Haren and Beckett for sure – but most teams do. I understand those two taking some heat for their recent poor outings, but to tell the truth – the offense has to give better run support than they have when those two start. Sure they’ve been bad, but when you are scoring 2 and 3 runs when they start, you ain’t gonna win many of them.

Also, I had the same thought regarding Colletti holding so tightly to his top prospects. Word was Tampa demanded 2 of the 3 for Price – Colletti thought that was too much to give up. Of course, there is no guarantee Dodgers even make it to the WS by adding Price to the rotation, but there’s no doubt it would have helped increase the chance. I’m kind of torn myself. I believe in windows (as in AGon and HanRam aren’t getting any younger) but I like the kids too, and it would be cool to see them pan out.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Spot on. AGon, despite the RBIs and HRs, is having one of his worst seasons. Frankly, I think he is on the downhill slide from here on out. HanRam is a shell of what he was last year, albeit, even a shell of himself is better then just about every short stop not named Tulowitzki (did I spell his name right . . . Fuck it, the owner can’t even spell it).

Also, I can relate with regard to pushing all your chips in on winning now. Besides, who knows if there were even deals to be made, anyway? Same deal in San Francisco. Everyone thinks that Sabean was asleep, but he did good to get Peavy. Our cupboard is bare. More important, the other team/GM gets a vote too. In short, people think that trades are easy, when the fact of the matter is that there are many, many considerations. Play fantasy league if you want to trade just for need.

67. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Yeah, the baseball world is pissed off at Kurt Gibson for retaliating by plunking McCutcheon with a fastball in the back the next day. The pitch that broke Goldscheist’s hand was purely unintentional. McCutcheon for his part didn’t charge the mound or anything, but was pretty pissed off hoiw it went down.

Got to follow those unwritten rules.

McCutcheon hit the 15 day DL with an oblique injury today. Wonder if it had anything to do with the HBP yesterday. One would think it’s possible.

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I think McCutcheon got hurt trying to hit a 700 foot HR, but who knows.

I had the Mets broadcast and they didn’t show Flan on the Blanco play at the plate, so not sure if he was waved or not. I will say, it was a perfect throw that got him.

68. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, the Mets announcers said at the time, “when will these 3rd base coaches learn not to run on” whoever the fuck that was.

So I’m going with Flan taking the hit. The play was directly behind Blanco so based on him going full-tilt boogie toward the plate, Flan musta sent him. It WAS a perfect throw. Glad they won in the end. Coulda been a pivotal play.

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Did you see the throw that Blanco made to get their CFer out at Third? Also a perfect throw. Even though we played the Mets, there was some really good D and pitching in this series (Panda and Pence were awesome hitting as well as some stellar D) very entertaining games IMO. On to Milwaukee to knock back some brews.

69. Macdog said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Now 1-1 in my “We Score We Win” shirt. And even better, 1-0 with the One & Only DJLoo. More later.

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Good job all around.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Um…what?

70. WilcoJoe said, on August 4, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Can Mac please give us a report on the Loo encounter….In the words of Judge Smails, “well I’am waitttttttting.”

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I might not go to sleep tonight if I don’t get an update on this purported Mac/Loo actual encounter. This sounds like one of those Big Foot sightings from the 70’s that’s I’m still bummed didn’t pan out…..

71. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I think the first ever Mac-A-Loo-za was a big success. MacDog is a helluva a nice guy and really knows his stuff. The same can be said for his 3 Met fan pals – great guys who really know the game. I dropped by their seats to say hi and the JInts immediately tied it up. I wound up hanging with them the whole game. Hope I didn’t ruin their day. I did offer to leave several times.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I’ve never been so bummed in my life to not be MacDog right now. Loo, you are one of my favorite non 3-D people in the world and the fact that another Flapper got to hang out with you before I actually confirmed your physical existence and your height is going to go to the grave with me….. half hearted gay smiley face……

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I second that emotion. I almost feel we need word pictures more than photos. Only piece missing? Buzzsaw. Well, more Flappers, too.

• WilcoJoe said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Honest to God, I thought there were only two flappers that would never show themselves; DJLoo and Nipper….This is monumental.

• DJLoo said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I wish I could write better and more descriptively. Pawlie knows what a good guy Mac is and easy to hang with. It was fun to talk about you guys behind your backs. I see the game took 3:40 – the time flew by (for me, anyway) and what a great win…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:52 pm

It would be asking too much to hear that DJLoo was wittier and pithier in person than here (one-liners), but one wonders…. I’ve met Macdog — let me see — at least three, maybe as many as five, times. Smart, unassuming, clever, congenial. I feel like I have known him for many years.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Mac-a-Loo-za. Like it.

72. zumiee said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, seriously, a photo of Loo would be like some kind of Flap holy grail.
    —-
    I hope Kershaw comes down to earth tonight. He’s only human, right? He’s been pitching like a Koufax/Bob Gibson love-child.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Oops, it’s Greinke tonight. He’s been pretty good lately, too.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Right now, he is getting a bit dinged in the 1st inning. By the by, Richards is no water carrier . . . Dude will give Lost Again all they can handle.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm

The Angels have definitely gotten their act together this season.

• blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, it would be ironic to see the Giants displace the Bums and the Angels displace the A’s as respective West league champions. The A’s or Angels in the World Series against the Giants would be sweet – Call it the ’89 ’02 Redux Revenge Tour. HA.

73. zumiee said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Baseball is very cool. You never quite know what’s going to happen. Who’da predicted Buster walking 4 times, and Panik getting 3 hits?

74. zumiee said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Angels roughed up Greinke for 4 runs in the first. Cool!

75. blade3colorado said, on August 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Scully just said, “Josh Hamilton’s size 18s get him over there quickly” (referring to a fly ball Hamilton caught). Wow! Hamilton has clown feet.

76. stickman said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Greinke is getting greinked. Josh Hamilton of the size 18’s must also have a heavy stick. He just popped one out and the LA ALers are up 5-zip in the top of the sixth.

77. Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Am I hearing that MacDog and Loo hung out together at a Mac-a-Looza and no pics were taken? If this is true, I’m literally devastated. Or did you try to take a pic of Loo and nothing showed up?
    I second Wilco’s post, the 2 flappers I never, ever thought would get seen in public by other fellow human Flappers were: 1) Loo 2) Nipper
    And one of us has actually physically interacted with Loo? Pawlie’s been wanting to do this for literally years. MacDog swooped in and scooped his ass…..
    I need to know one thing: O/U on the height is set at 60 inches. Go…….

78. Flavor said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:19 pm

new thread

79. Macdog said, on August 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm

After 14-plus hours since leaving home, I’m back from Citi Field and a side trip to Lawrence NJ (north of Trenton). Here goes:

I went to the game with a buddy and two of his friends, one who went with us on the train from Jersey and the other from Manhattan who met us at Citi Field. Mets fans all, except me, of course.

And what a bad start, Murph hitting a 2-run blast before Huddy could get an out had me anticipating yet another losing visit to Flusing in a long string of ’em.

Then came the top of the 3rd. After Huddy struck out (I had no idea he was batting .050, now .040something), I turned to my buddy and said it’s time to start hitting this chump Gee.

Shortly thereafter, this guy with shades in a road Marichal jersey came over next to me. At first I thought it was someone with an assigned seat since none of us were sitting in ours. But because I was dutifully wearing my “We Score We Win” Flap shirt, I head “Macdog” and knew: It’s DJ Loo!

The rest of the game was a fucking blast, and not just because Pablo banged a double right away to tie it up. DJ bought me a couple of those promised tall beers (Corono Light) and everyone got along famously, to the point where DJ thought he might be able to convert one of buddy’s friend, who was wearing an almost Giants-like orange shirt, into a Giants fan.

Yes, we talked of Flappers past and present. So when the Mets brought in their closer in the top of the 9th, I didn’t hesitate to mention to DJ a certain Flapper from bygone days who constantly bitched about bringing in a closer in a non-save situation. And wouldn’t ya know it, Pablo blooped in the winning run.

Here’s what made this such an extraordinary day. It’s rare for me to take in a Giants road game in the company of a fellow Giants fan. That I got to do so today with someone as personable, knowledgeable and fanatical as DJ made today’s game a truly special experience.

Actually, fanatical is too strong a word, but it sounded nice in there. Passionate is a better choice. Believe me, DJ is into it, and I loved every minute of it.

I have absolutely no doubt that I would’ve experienced a similar vibe with any one of you great fans here. I already can’t wait to do it all again with DJ sometime next year.

Thank you, Big Flav, for making all this possible.

• Chipower9 said, on August 5, 2014 at 8:09 am

What a cool post. I am with Flavor and a few others…if there are no pictures, it will be devestation on the scale of…of…

80. paulinasia said, on August 4, 2014 at 10:22 pm